The Wall (Speed Game)

Post your incomplete mafia game submissions here, regardless of game type. You may not even be sure which type you'll go with yet.

Moderator: Community Team

G-Man
Made Man
Posts in topic: 7

The Wall (Speed Game)

Post by G-Man »

Placeholder post. Game currently in development.
A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V
My Banners:
Spoiler: show
Word to your mom- my spreadsheet's the bomb
I got more rhymes than BoB's host Dom
S~V~S
Captain Obvious
Posts in topic: 3

Re: The Wall (Speed Game)

Post by S~V~S »

I love Pink Floyd, but this was the most overplayed album of my senior year in High School (yes, I am very much dating myself XD)

To this day, every time I hear the first few bars of We Don't Need No Education, I cringe. But I bet you will do some amazing things with the roles, I look forward to it.
Skip softly, my moonbeams, for I have heard tell
That the stairs up to heaven lead straight down to hell
bea
Racketeer
Posts in topic: 1
Preferred Pronouns: She/her
Aka: Some call me.....Jen. But most call me Bea.

Post by bea »

This is a special album for me given all of my most of my childhood fear of kids falling into meat grinders. That said, It's a battle I won. (please don't post that part in any lynch/night posts.)

And yes svs - it was over played. But still - by and large a pretty great album (and yes not my fav. ;) )
I was born to speak all mirth and no matter.... :wine:
Epignosis wrote:Bitch, my identity is my identity theft protection!
Ricochet
Uomini D'onore (Man of Honor)

Post by Ricochet »

S~V~S wrote:I love Pink Floyd, but this was the most overplayed album of my senior year in High School (yes, I am very much dating myself XD)

To this day, every time I hear the first few bars of We Don't Need No Education, I cringe. But I bet you will do some amazing things with the roles, I look forward to it.
We Don't Need No Edyoocashun

:p

I think I only heard once Pink Floyd played in my high school. Had to check my pulse when it happened, too.

The Wall isn't anywhere close to my fav PF album - despite how incredibly indulgent I am with liking this band a lot, except for Piper and clear late-period mehs - although it has maybe my favourite PF song if you count certain live versions of it.

Nevertheless, I expect great stuff out of designing this as a game.
G-Man
Made Man

Post by G-Man »

I'll agree that "Another Brick in the Wall (Part II)" was overplayed. I grew up in the 90s and you'd have thought that it was their only song ever depending on which classic rock station you listened to. I prefer to listen to the album in its entirety, which requires the right attitude and state of mind. I love the movie, which is what turned me off to cherry-picking tracks to listen to. After seeing the movie, I have a hard time listening to solo tracks because they have a specific place within the narrative of the story being told.

My vision for this game is equally informed by the album itself and the movie. I think the structure will be different from what you might expect or suspect. S~V~S will just have to cringe whenever "Another Brick in the Wall" rears its overplayed head but I'm hoping you'll be pleasantly surprised by what I've got cooking. Right now, it looks like it's going to be on the simple side but it's got a lot of potential for the players to realize.

I'm not much of a Floyd fan outside of Dark Side, Wish You Were Here, and The Wall. Animals has a few things going for it but artful prog rock and I never came together fully. I actually can't stand some of their early psychedelic stuff, mostly because my appreciation for psychedelic rock is limited to the edgier side of that genre. I've never quite understood how I can reject the fluffy indulgence of psychedelic rock when I adore the fluffy indulgence of 70s pop and disco. Maybe it's because I'm more receptive to sexual innuendo than drug trips. :shrug:
My Banners:
Ricochet

Post by Ricochet »

I'm probably one of rare kind of people that can go on record and say The Wall Movie is acceptable and relevant. It doesn't bind me to the album, though. In fact, most of my favourite tracks of it don't take me back thinking to the movie scenes.

Animals is legit their best album, by a country mile.

This was me at Pompei, Summer of 20#I'msooldnow. Take a wild guess what I was listening to.

JaggedJimmyJay
The Brassiere of The Syndicate
Posts in topic: 6
Preferred Pronouns: He/him/his/himself
Aka: Jay | JJJ | J3 | 3J | jagged | Jimmy | KOFM

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

Ranking every PF album and solo album I've heard. This is personal preference for me entirely, I don't care about the canon. Studio albums only.

1. On an Island
2. Dark Side of the Moon
3. Wish You Were Here
4. Meddle
5. The Division Bell
6. Animals
7. Obscured by Clouds
8. The Wall
9. A Momentary Lapse of Reason
10. A Saucerful of Secrets
11. Broken China
12. The Final Cut
13. About Face
14. Amused to Death
15. Barrett
16. Radio K.A.O.S.
17. Atom Heart Mother
18. The Endless River
19. David Gilmour
20. More
21. Rattle That Lock
22. The Madcap Laughs
23. Piper at the Gates of Dawn
24. The Pros and Cons of Hitch Hiking
25. Ça Ira
26. Ummagumma

I used to be a huge Floyd nerd. I don't listen much anymore, but there was definitely a phase.
Overall: 73-57 (.56) | Town 49-41 (.54) | Mafia 18-11 (.62) | Independent 6-4 (.60)

The Syndicate: Town 23-26; Mafia 10-5; Indy 5-1 | RateYourMusic: Town 14-13; Mafia 5-4; Indy 0-3 | Mafia Universe: Town 6-0; Mafia 1-0 | Student Doctor Network: Town 2-1; Mafia 1-0 | HeroClixRealms: Town 1-0; Mafia 0-1 | Bulbagarden: Mafia 0-1; Indy 1-0 | 2+2 POG: Town 1-0 | Naruto Forums: Town 0-1 | Personality Café: Town 1-0 | Vendetta Strada: Town 0-1 | Mafia451: Town 1-0 | Wintreath: Mafia 1-0

Awards:

The Syndicate

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Student Doctor Network

ImageImageImageImageImage

Rate Your Music

Best Townie, Maffies 4, 8 and 9
Best Scum, Maffies 3
Best Moderator, Maffies 8 and 9
Most Valuable Player, Maffies 7 and 9
Best Roleplay, Maffies 4 and 6
Spirit Award, Maffies 9
Hall of Fame inductee, Maffies 4

Mafia Universe

Mafia Championship Finalist, 2015 and 2020
Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage[-Mass Effect Mafia banner-]ImageImageImageImage
Ricochet

Post by Ricochet »

My list. If you oppose adding live albums, F-I-G-H-T M-E.

Animals ⋆⋆⋆⋆⋆
P-U-L-S-E ⋆⋆⋆⋆1/2
A Saucerful of Secrets ⋆⋆⋆⋆1/2
Dark Side of the Moon ⋆⋆⋆⋆1/2*
Wish You Were Here* ⋆⋆⋆⋆

* years ago, I would have ranked WYWH above DSOTM for sure, but somehow, if there's one classic PF I feel it's peeling off, it's WYWH. On the other hand, I still have no issue considering DSOTM a certain classic.

Live at Pompeii ⋆⋆⋆⋆
The Division Bell ⋆⋆⋆1/2
Broken China ⋆⋆⋆1/2
Atom Heart Mother ⋆⋆⋆1/2
The Wall ⋆⋆⋆
Meddle ⋆⋆⋆
The Madcap Laughs ⋆⋆⋆
Live at Gdansk ⋆⋆⋆
On An Island ⋆⋆⋆ I guess (shrugging a bit here tbh)
More (almost entirely just for It's Hiiiigh Time Cymbaliiine and I WUS STANDING BY THE NIIIIIIILE \M/) ⋆⋆⋆
Ummagumma ⋆⋆1/2 / maybe ⋆⋆⋆-ish
Is There Anybody Out There - The Wall Live ⋆⋆⋆-ish
Where the Wind Blows (hope I'm not recalling the name incorrectly) ⋆⋆1/2
The Wall Live in Berlin ⋆⋆1/2 (some guest performances are too much of a stinker really)
Obscured by Clouds ⋆⋆1/2
----- past this point I'm losing any grip of ranking them with precision, really ----
David Gilmour ⋆⋆1/2
Amused to Death (for a hyped solo, never liked it that much tbh) ⋆⋆1/2
Piper at the Gates of Dawn ⋆⋆
Zabriskie Point ⋆⋆
A Momentary Lapse of Reason ⋆⋆
Ca Ira ⋆⋆
About Face
The Endless River (never should have happened) 0
The Final Cut ⋆1/2
The Pros and Cons of Hitch Hiking ⋆
Radio K.A.O.S. (literally what) ?

Rattle That Lock (???)

I think I left out Delicate Sound of Thunder, but honestly don't remember it at all.
Also left out Barrett and Opel, no idea where I'd place them.
Also left out Nick Mason's two albums, no idea none.
JaggedJimmyJay

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

I might like On an Island more than any other human alive, so no worries on that point of disagreement.

Even the major top ranked albums have duds for me. I don't even like the song Money. I think Welcome to the Machine and Have a Cigar bring WYWH down a bit. Animals is awesome for its consistency but it never quite reaches a significant climax for me. The Division Bell has some cheesy lyrical moments, but it also has some of their best songs ever by my measure. High Hopes might be my favorite Floyd song of all. Obscured by Clouds is a lovely little thing but never achieves more than being a lovely little thing. The Wall is a lot of fun, but it's hard to get into the proper mood for a double album and I think some of it drags.

If all of Atom Heart Mother was like the middle three tracks, it'd contend for the top spot.
Overall: 73-57 (.56) | Town 49-41 (.54) | Mafia 18-11 (.62) | Independent 6-4 (.60)

The Syndicate: Town 23-26; Mafia 10-5; Indy 5-1 | RateYourMusic: Town 14-13; Mafia 5-4; Indy 0-3 | Mafia Universe: Town 6-0; Mafia 1-0 | Student Doctor Network: Town 2-1; Mafia 1-0 | HeroClixRealms: Town 1-0; Mafia 0-1 | Bulbagarden: Mafia 0-1; Indy 1-0 | 2+2 POG: Town 1-0 | Naruto Forums: Town 0-1 | Personality Café: Town 1-0 | Vendetta Strada: Town 0-1 | Mafia451: Town 1-0 | Wintreath: Mafia 1-0

Awards:

The Syndicate

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Student Doctor Network

Rate Your Music

Best Scum, Maffies 3
Spirit Award, Maffies 9

Mafia Universe

Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage[-Mass Effect Mafia banner-]ImageImageImageImage
JaggedJimmyJay

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

I never got around to hearing Wright's other album, it was too hard to find. I never heard Mason's stuff either, I wouldn't expect much. I think for me, the appeal of Pink Floyd is 50% Gilmour, 25% Waters, 20% Wright, 5% other.

Awards:

The Syndicate

Student Doctor Network

Rate Your Music

Best Scum, Maffies 3
Spirit Award, Maffies 9

Mafia Universe

Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

JaggedJimmyJay

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

Now y'all got me sitting in this hotel room air guitaring to On the Turning Away.

Awards:

The Syndicate

Student Doctor Network

Rate Your Music

Best Scum, Maffies 3
Spirit Award, Maffies 9

Mafia Universe

Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

Ricochet

Post by Ricochet »

JaggedJimmyJay wrote:I might like On an Island more than any other human alive, so no worries on that point of disagreement.

Even the major top ranked albums have duds for me. I don't even like the song Money. I think Welcome to the Machine and Have a Cigar bring WYWH down a bit. Animals is awesome for its consistency but it never quite reaches a significant climax for me. The Division Bell has some cheesy lyrical moments, but it also has some of their best songs ever by my measure. High Hopes might be my favorite Floyd song of all. Obscured by Clouds is a lovely little thing but never achieves more than being a lovely little thing. The Wall is a lot of fun, but it's hard to get into the proper mood for a double album and I think some of it drags.

If all of Atom Heart Mother was like the middle three tracks, it'd contend for the top spot.
I'm not particularly high on Money or Us and Them, from the whole album.
I don't mind any of the five tracks of WYWH, but on the whole its "shine" almost wore off a bit over time for me.
The significant climax for me is on Sheep.
High Hopes is probably my second favourite Floyd song of them all. I must say hearing and seeing the P-U-L-S-E concert first helped a lot with embracing Division Bell as a whole and getting attached to it. P-U-L-S-E basically got me into Floyd. A friend of my dad VHS'd the concert and sent the tape to him. On their first viewing, I didn't want to have anything with it (I almost always refused to embrace new music before it ended up becoming my favourite music among all music). Then I remember my parents one day leaving home for a while, must have been shopping day or something, I put the tape in and two-three hours later they found me on the floor, having transcended reality.
True.
True.
True, except I'm really ok with Alan's Psychedelic Omelette as well.

linki: Mason is alright. Better than half of Waters' frankly snobby but hardly in any way musical albums.
JaggedJimmyJay

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

Did you ever see Gilmour's Remember That Night performance from 2007? If we're talking about live performances, that is probably the pinnacle of Pink Floyd music for me. The slide guitar and acoustic solo in High Hopes is incredible. He performs Comfortably Numb with David Bowie. The whole show is fantastic.

Awards:

The Syndicate

Student Doctor Network

Rate Your Music

Best Scum, Maffies 3
Spirit Award, Maffies 9

Mafia Universe

Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

Ricochet

Post by Ricochet »

It seems I did not.
G-Man
Made Man

Post by G-Man »

Alright, all this talk about PF albums makes me want to listen to all their albums the rest of this week so I can post a list. I like lists.
My Banners:
Ricochet

Post by Ricochet »

G-Man wrote:I like lists.
JaggedJimmyJay

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

Dark Side of the Moon
Wish You Were Here

Meddle
The Division Bell
Animals
Obscured by Clouds
The Wall

A Momentary Lapse of Reason
A Saucerful of Secrets
The Final Cut
Atom Heart Mother
The Endless River
More

The Piper at the Gates of Dawn
Ummagumma

Awards:

The Syndicate

Student Doctor Network

Rate Your Music

Best Scum, Maffies 3
Spirit Award, Maffies 9

Mafia Universe

Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

Golden
The Coward
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Golden »

Here's another brick

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Canucklehead wrote:Civ Golden is a hurricane of self-assurance.
G-Man wrote: Coward
S~V~S
Captain Obvious

Post by S~V~S »

JaggedJimmyJay wrote:
Animals
Wish You Were Here
Dark Side of the Moon

Meddle
The Division Bell
Obscured by Clouds
The Wall

A Saucerful of Secrets
The Final Cut
Atom Heart Mother
The Endless River
More

Ummagumma
Fixed. Kinda.
a2thezebra
Hitman

Post by a2thezebra »

Am I the only one that loves The Piper at the Gates of Dawn? I think it's their best.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
"wifom is best served in gallons" - Diiny
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum
Preferred Pronouns: any/all
Aka: Tangy

Post by Tangrowth »

Ooooh rainbow lists ranking albums, let me join!

Animals
Dark Side of the Moon
Wish You Were Here

Meddle
The Division Bell
Atom Heart Mother
Ummagumma
Obscured by Clouds

A Saucerful of Secrets
The Endless River
More
The Wall

The Final Cut
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

Came up with a spin-off thread where we can rainbow rate the output of different bands/artists. :D
G-Man
Made Man

Post by G-Man »

Still plugging away at the Pink Floyd albums. I'll post my list tomorrow. I just had to post one comment- Animals is almost literally the sound of Roger Waters ego inflating. :evileye:
My Banners:
Ricochet

Post by Ricochet »

And The Wall isn't?
G-Man
Made Man

Post by G-Man »

Ricochet wrote:And The Wall isn't?
His ego was fully-inflated by that point. It's a concept album by an egomaniac about an egomaniac. In essence, it was an exercise in self-guided therapy. At least it's got a story to it though. Animals is just so... tedious? Or maybe condescending is the right word.

Waters didn't learn his lesson from the spitting on a fan that led to The Wall. The rock-god status he achieved through that album is an example of life imitating art imitating life. Listening to The Final Cut is almost painful because it seems clear to me that, unlike the protagonist of The Wall, Waters chose to stay deluded behind his own wall.
My Banners:
Epignosis
Skeletor

Post by Epignosis »

G-Man wrote:Still plugging away at the Pink Floyd albums. I'll post my list tomorrow. I just had to post one comment- Animals is almost literally the sound of Roger Waters ego inflating. :evileye:
You've got to be crazy.
Stream my music for free: https://epignosis.bandcamp.com/
S~V~S
Captain Obvious

Post by S~V~S »

:haha: Well done!
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

Animals is the best for sure.

Ha ha, charade you are!
G-Man
Made Man

Post by G-Man »

Here you go folks. I'll post this rainbow list over in the rainbow album thread. I didn't know how to handle Unnagumma, so I have individual entries for the live tracks and the studio tracks but I also calculated a score for the whole combined album. All albums are in order from best to worse (my opinion). Animals and Obscured by Clouds are tied at the same score within their category.

The Dark Side of the Moon

Wish You Were Here

A Saucerful of Secrets
The Wall
Meddle

Ummagumma (Live Tracks)

Obscured by Clouds
Animals
Atom Heart Mother
Ummagumma (Combined)
The Division Bell
More

The Endless River
The Final Cut

Ummagumma (Studio Tracks)
My Banners:
Snow Dog
Racketeer

Post by Snow Dog »

a2thezebra wrote:Am I the only one that loves The Piper at the Gates of Dawn? I think it's their best.
No. It's a great album.
NOT a winner of...
ImageImageImage
TheFloyd73
The Mark
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by TheFloyd73 »

I guess my username signifies my approval.

Oh, yes, hello again.
Winner:
Tree Mafia (MVP)
Lost Again Mafia (Season One)
Haiku Mafia
Game Of Champions 2016

Host:
Currents Mafia
Golden
The Coward

Post by Golden »

Hey floyd!
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Canucklehead wrote:Civ Golden is a hurricane of self-assurance.
G-Man wrote: Coward
TheFloyd73
The Mark
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by TheFloyd73 »

Hey Golden, what's been a-happening?

I guess I feel obliged to chuck in my Floyd albums ranking:

Wish You Were Here
Dark Side Of The Moon
Meddle
Animals
Piper At The Gates Of Dawn
The Wall
A Saucerful Of Secrets
More
Atom Heart Mother
Ummagumma
The Division Bell
Obscured By Clouds
The Endless River
A Momentary Lapse Of Reason
The Final Cut
Winner:
Tree Mafia (MVP)
Lost Again Mafia (Season One)
Haiku Mafia
Game Of Champions 2016

Host:
Currents Mafia
Marmot
Marmot
Preferred Pronouns: they/them
Aka: Marmot

Post by Marmot »

Hi again Floyd!!

Ok, here come mine.

Wish You Were Here
Dark Side of the Moon
Meddle
Animals
The Division Bell
Atom Heart Mother
The Endless River
The Wall
A Saucerful of Secrets
Obscured by Clouds
Ummagumma

Banners and Stuff
My Syndicate Mafia Wins:

Full Games Civilian: Image

Mafia: Image Image Image Image

Independent: Image Image
Speed Games Civilian: Image Image Fiddler on the Roof

Mafia: Image Image Image Image
Heists Civilian: Image Image Image Image Image

MVP: RED vs BLUE
Burglaries Independent: The Theme Is Literally a Burglary
Special Games Civilian: Image Image Image Image

Independent: Image

My Syndicate Hosted Games:

Speed Games Image Image Image
Heists Image Image Image

Some other Banners:

2014 Sockys Image
2015 Sockys Image Image Image
Miscellaneous Image Image

Dragon D. Luffy wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 7:33 pm Just how many days of "let's yeet them tomorrow" can a mafioso survive?

The answer: all of them, if you are a marmot.
G-Man
Made Man

Post by G-Man »

I finally got around to fleshing this one most of the way out. So far it's a simpler setup than my typical role-madness ideas, so please share your thoughts on balance issues and whether too many roles are vanilla. Here's my setup and most of the role descriptions...

The game is set inside the mind of Pink, one of the biggest rock stars in the world. All of his inner demons, painful memories, and glimmers of hope battle for the purpose and fate of this poor man. Pink is not a playable role in this game but rather the focus of the narrative component (day/night posts). Day and night posts will use songs from The Wall album to set the tone for the game's progression. The outcome of the game will determine if Pink lives or dies.

CIVVIES
The civvies are comprised of two groups- those involved with Pink's band and members of his fan club. If the civvies win the game, there are two possible outcomes for Pink. If more band-related civvies are alive, Pink will trudge on in a hollow but successful existence. If more fan club member civvies are alive, he will find new life and purpose, breaking away from the evils around him.

MANAGER- Pink's manager mostly cares for himself but needs to keep the tour going, which means he needs to look out for the rest of the band. Each night he selects one player to try to protect. He can protect the Roadie and the other members of the band. He can also protect himself but doing so will either render his vote meaningless or add a vote to his total the next day. If he protects himself, the Manager will not know what his penalty is.

ROADIE- He loves Pink and the rest of the band so much that he is willing to die for them if need be. Unless he is blocked, the Roadie will take the place of a band member who is either going to be lynched or NK'd.

BANDMATES (3)- Vanilla civvies

GROUPIES (2)- Each of the Groupies can survive the first NK'd attempt on them but they are not protected from lynches.

FAN CLUB PRESIDENT- She thinks Pink is dreamy and wants everyone to know how good his music is. Each night she searches for other members of the Fan Club. When she finds one, they do not gain BTSC but both will be told of their confirmed civvie status.

FAN CLUB MEMBERS (6)- Vanilla civvies

MAFIA
All members of the mafia are representations of painful memories that torment Pink. Each night, the mafia will collectively decide one player to kill and one player to block. They cannot use both powers on the same person. If the mafia is down to one player, the blocking power is lost. If the mafia wins, Pink will escape from their torment by committing suicide.

Daddy

Mother

Schoolmaster

Wife

WILDCARD

Evil Pink- Secret
My Banners:

Return to “The Basement”