A game for 19 players.
Mountain (noun) - a large natural elevation of the earth's surface rising abruptly from the surrounding level; often characterized by a local relief exceeding 600 m (2,000 ft), though this measurement may vary.
Mountains are often noted by an obvious (often snow-covered) peak and relative rise above the local area. Mountains can range in size from the world’s highest peak of Mt. Everest in Nepal (8,848) to the miniature and slightly misnamed Stone Mountain in Georgia, USA (1,686 ft/514 m). Mountains are formed from various geological phenomena, such as the current or long-inactive shifting of plate tectonics, or the presence of volcanic activity. The human fascination with mountains can be seen throughout the history of its race, most notably in religious practices. Mt. Olympus was the recognized home of the ancient Greek gods. Mt. Fuji in Japan is recognized as one of the “Three Holy Mountains” of Shinto. The many peaks of the Himalayas are considered sacred to believers of Hinduism and Buddhism in Southeast Asia. In modern times, the religious appreciation of mountains has waned, but the awe-inspiring nature is still there.
And so, I introduce to you Mountain Mafia: a mafia game dedicated to the majestic and beautiful nature of mountains. Mountains are listed by decreasing elevation.
The Big Mountains (14)
--- The Big Mountains must eliminate the Small Mountains to win. ---
Mount Everest, Nepal/China (8,848 m)
- Since Mount Everest is the highest mountain in the world, its vote is worth one more than its normal value. If Everest dies, this ability will be inherited by the next tallest mountain on the earth.
K2, Pakistan/China (8,611 m)
- K2 is the second highest mountain in the world behind Everest, though it is actually far more deadly for mountain climbers (almost 25% death rate). K2 may write a message to the thread each night, warning of danger.
Aconcagua, Argentina (6,961 m)
- Aconcagua is the highest mountain in South America, and the highest outside of Asia. Though Aconcagua is so tall, it is not technical in terms of climbing, and thus is a popular target for mountaineers because of the relative safety. Aconcagua will survive the first attempt on its life.
Chimborazo, Ecuador (6,268 m)
- While Chimborazo is not nearly as tall as Everest or some other peaks, it does hold the distinction of its summit being the farthest point on the Earth from the Earth’s center. As such, Chimborazo may borrow a power from any Earthly mountain taller than it each night.
Denali, USA (20,237 ft/6,168 m)
- Denali is the highest mountain in North America, located in Alaska. Denali searches nightly for Logan, its child peak. If Denali finds Logan, they gain permanent BTSC.
Mount Logan, Canada (5,959 m)
- Mount Logan is the second highest peak in North America, and thus the highest in Canada. Logan searches nightly for Denali, its parent peak. If Logan finds Denali, they gain permanent BTSC.
Mount Kilimanjaro, Tanzania (5,895 m)
- Not only is Kilimanjaro the highest peak in Africa, but it is the highest lone peak in the world (it is not part of a mountain range). Kilimanjaro may choose to isolate itself during three different night phases, making it immune to night actions. Any time Kilimanjaro does this, its vote the following day is worth one less.
Pico Cristóbal Colón, Colombia (5,700 m)
- Pico Cristóbal Colón is the highest mountain in Colombia, and part of the tallest coastal range in the world (Sierra Nevada de Santa Marta). Cristóbal Colón may stop one lynch.
Mount Elbrus, Russia (5,642 m)
- Mount Elbrus is the highest mountain in Europe, and actually has two summits, both of which are dormant volcanoes with a 21 m height difference. Twice in the game, Elbrus may peek at another player’s alignment, though he will only learn the truth on one of these occasions.
Pico de Orizaba, Mexico (5,636 m)
- Pico de Orizaba is the third highest peak in North America, and the highest in Mexico. It is also the second most prominent volcano in the world and one that is still prone to activity. If Orizaba is lynched, it will erupt, killing the player of its choice who voted for it that day.
Mount Kenya, Kenya (5,199 m)
- Mount Kenya is the second highest mountain in Africa. It used to be much taller (over 7,000 m tall), but glaciation caused a dramatic loss in height over time. Kenya may nightkill once in the game, though as time goes on, the success rate of this kill is affected.
Puncak Jaya, Indonesia (4,884 m)
- Puncak Jaya is the highest island peak in the world and is located on the island of New Guinea. Due to its location, it is rare to see the summit because of constant clouds, storms, and monsoons. Puncak Jaya may send a storm to another player each night, either silencing or insanifying that player.
Mont Blanc, Italy/France (4,807 m)
- Mont Blanc (translated as the White Mountain) is the highest mountain in the European Alps. It is popular for skiing, and even houses an underground tunnel that crosses underneath the Alps, a cable car that crosses over the Alps, and at one point, an observatory. Blanc may utilize each of these devices once in the game to…
Matterhorn, Italy/Switzerland (4,478 m)
- Mont Blanc Tunnel - Blanc may switch two players each night, switching their targets as well as redirecting night actions targeted at one to the other.
- Cable Car - Blanc may bring another player into the cable car, removing that player from the lynch poll the following day.
- Janssen Observatory - Blanc may use this rickety observatory to take a look at Olympus Mons, the Martian mountain.
- Matterhorn is known less for its height, and more for its almost perfect pyramidal shape, with 4 ridges rising up to and obvious peak. It is still one of the highest peaks in the European Alps. --- Secrets
The Little Mountains (4)
--- The Little Mountains have BTSC and must eliminate all other mountains to win. ---
Sutter Buttes, USA (2,122 ft/647 m)
- The Sutter Buttes are referred to as the smallest mountain range in the world. These buttes form a circular range with just a 10 mile diameter. The Sutter Buttes can hide a fellow Little Mountain inside each night, decreasing their vote count the following day by one.
Wrekin, England (407 m)
- Each night, the Wrekin may call upon Gwendol Wrekin
to nightkill another player.
Mount Wycheproof, Australia (148 m)
- Wycheproof is the shortest registered mountain in the world, at a whopping 148 m tall. At such an insignificant height, it often goes unnoticed. One action that Wycheproof is targeted with each night will be negated.
Chocolate Hills, Philippines (120 m)
- There are so many of these hills in this area that they haven’t all been counted yet. There are so many hills, and they look like chocolate kisses when the grass dries out. This distracts another player nightly, roleblocking a player of Chocolate Hills’ choice.
The Other Mountain (1)
--- ??????? ---
Olympus Mons, Mars (21,230 m)
- Olympus Mons is the highest known mountain in the Solar System. --- Secrets