Podcasts

Kick back and relax by discussing anything unrelated to mafia at The Syndicate's Speakeasy.

Moderator: Community Team

LoRab
Loan Shark
Posts in topic: 9
Preferred Pronouns: She series

Podcasts

Post by LoRab »

I've recently, apparently, become a podcast person. It all started with Serial, which I enjoyed, but kind of left as a stand alone thing. But then I started listening to Welcome to Night Vale on my drive last year from Texas to Delaware when I moved. And I've since gotten hooked on others: Black Tapes, Tanis, and Pleasant Town, especially.

Wondering if there are others around here who listen to any of these? (And, really, you should). Or if we could have a place to discuss/theorize about any of these...
Golden
The Coward
Posts in topic: 6

Re: Podcasts

Post by Golden »

I've recently become a podcast person.

I listen to the Game Design Round Table (Board Game and Video Game design), Rob Has a Podcast (Survivor podcasts), Star Wars Minute (analysing Star Wars one minute at a time...), Flashforward (a podcast talking about different potential futures), and one Bea put me on to, the West Wing Weekly.
Spoiler: show
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Canucklehead wrote:Civ Golden is a hurricane of self-assurance.
G-Man wrote: Coward
Epignosis
Skeletor
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Epignosis »

I do not. :confused:
Stream my music for free: https://epignosis.bandcamp.com/
Vompatti
Loan Shark

Post by Vompatti »

The only podcasts I listen to are The Hermetic Hour and Speech in the Silence k
:coffee:
When the horse panics or something goes wrong, remain calm and reassure the horse.

Image Image Image
LoRab
Loan Shark

Post by LoRab »

Golden wrote:I've recently become a podcast person.

I listen to the Game Design Round Table (Board Game and Video Game design), Rob Has a Podcast (Survivor podcasts), Star Wars Minute (analysing Star Wars one minute at a time...), Flashforward (a podcast talking about different potential futures), and one Bea put me on to, the West Wing Weekly.

I forgot West Wing Weekly. Hooked on that, too.
nijuukyugou
Tentacled Henchman
Preferred Pronouns: she/her/hers/herself

Post by nijuukyugou »

I'm definitely a podcast person, especially with all of the driving I do during the summer (and sporadically throughout the year). Good for distance running, too! These are my favorites:

- Welcome to Night Vale (NPR meets community radio meets horror meets dark humor. Everyone should listen to this, and then sign up for my game when it happens :srsnod: )
- Ask Me Another (a silly trivia gameshow)
- Stuff You Missed in History Class (pretty much exactly what it sounds like - 15-30 minutes of detailed histories of very specific subjects ranging from The Crimean War to the most recent one I listened to, Butter vs. Margarine)
- Snap Judgment (storytelling, mostly nonfiction with a little fiction thrown in, centered around a theme for each episode)
- Freakonomics (the economics of everything. Seriously, everything.)
- The Allusionist (15 minutes of word-nerd heaven in every episode!)

I have others I go back to occasionally, but those are the ones I listen to most consistently and frequently, and I recommend all of them!
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
indiglo
Money Launderer

Post by indiglo »

I enjoy quite a few podcasts! (This is a great idea for a thread, because I'm always on the lookout for new podcasts.)

I like (in no particular order):

- Welcome to Night Vale
- Cabin Pressure (It's basically over, but I re-listen ALL. THE. TIME. It's so freaking funny, even after a few re-listens.)
- Snap Judgment
- A Way With Words
- Serial
- Science Friday
- Wait Wait Don't Tell Me
- Ask Me Another
- Mystery Show
- Serendipity
- Radiolab

I am also a HUGE Prairie Home Companion fan... but I don't classify it as a podcast, rather as a radio show. But I love it so much I couldn't leave it off my list.
Epignosis wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 3:10 pm Really, this is all just a glamorous game- nothing more.

XOXO Epi Girl
Golden
The Coward

Post by Golden »

I can't find Prairie Home Companion as a podcast. It used to make it's way over here in weekends in summer and I miss it.
LoRab
Loan Shark

Post by LoRab »

If you like Prairie Home Companion, you should totally listen to Welcome to Night Vale. It's sort of the same thing...if Prairie Home Companion took place in Twin Peaks. Seriously, though. It's awesome.

I also realized I forgot to list Israel Story and Streetwise Hebrew. Israel Story is pretty much This American Life or Radio Lab, but in Israel. Streetwise Hebrew is short Hebrew lessons by a really cool guy who also does graffiti tours in Tel Aviv (I did his tour last time I was there).
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum
Posts in topic: 2
Preferred Pronouns: any/all
Aka: Tangy

Post by Tangrowth »

I really need to get into more podcasts. I really enjoy the 538 podcasts when they have them, but other than that I'm pretty much a podcast n00b. They would be great for me to listen to while doing various PhD things though. Recommendations?
LoRab
Loan Shark

Post by LoRab »

MovingPictures07 wrote:I really need to get into more podcasts. I really enjoy the 538 podcasts when they have them, but other than that I'm pretty much a podcast n00b. They would be great for me to listen to while doing various PhD things though. Recommendations?
Most of the ones I listen to are fiction: Welcome to Night Vale is a HUGE yes, listen, now recommendation.

I've also enjoyed The Black Tapes, Tanis, and Pleasure Town.

Radiolab is great. And Serial, if you haven't listened to it. Season 1 was fantastic. Season 2 I liked less, but still enjoyed.

You'll enjoy the Black Tapes more if you've already listened to at least a season of Serial.

Also, Dharma Ranch Dressing from LP and I are talking about putting together a podcast we hope to launch in December (we've been talking together about it for well over a year, but since I got more into podcasts, we've actually started to get going on actual plans), on basically a Christian and a Jew chatting about religion. So, when we do that, you should totally listen, lol.
Golden
The Coward

Post by Golden »

LoRab, I would listen to that podcast. It would be awesome. It's something I'd even guest on lol! I'm not sure that's exactly enticing.
Bubbles
The Mark

Post by Bubbles »

LoRab wrote: Also, Dharma Ranch Dressing from LP and I are talking about putting together a podcast we hope to launch in December (we've been talking together about it for well over a year, but since I got more into podcasts, we've actually started to get going on actual plans), on basically a Christian and a Jew chatting about religion. So, when we do that, you should totally listen, lol.
Golden wrote:LoRab, I would listen to that podcast. It would be awesome. It's something I'd even guest on lol! I'm not sure that's exactly enticing.
this sounds amazing, I would love to listen to it too (and Golden as guest!) Lorab you should post a link here when it's up :) Golden what religion are you? it would be cool if you could get guest speakers from different faiths on the show
LoRab
Loan Shark

Post by LoRab »

Golden wrote:LoRab, I would listen to that podcast. It would be awesome. It's something I'd even guest on lol! I'm not sure that's exactly enticing.
We will slot you in for a guest appearance, for sure!! I mean, the accent and all....
LoRab
Loan Shark

Post by LoRab »

Bubbles wrote:
LoRab wrote: Also, Dharma Ranch Dressing from LP and I are talking about putting together a podcast we hope to launch in December (we've been talking together about it for well over a year, but since I got more into podcasts, we've actually started to get going on actual plans), on basically a Christian and a Jew chatting about religion. So, when we do that, you should totally listen, lol.
this sounds amazing, I would love to listen to it too (and Golden as guest!) Lorab you should post a link here when it's up :) Golden what religion are you? it would be cool if you could get guest speakers from different faiths on the show
Thanks! We've been talking about it for well over a year, and we are now just starting to actually make plans to make it be a real thing instead of an idea. I'll for sure post it here.

And we're planning on having guests of different religious viewpoints. Part of the idea is to learn about different faith groups and have the conversations that we never get to have with people--so we want to be able to include faiths other than just those of the 2 of us.
Golden
The Coward

Post by Golden »

Bubbles wrote:
I'm a Christian, but I tend to have a more liberal viewpoint than American Christians do on average (at least, as it appears outwardly).
LoRab
Loan Shark

Post by LoRab »

LoRab wrote:
Bubbles wrote:
Thanks! We've been talking about it for well over a year, and we are now just starting to actually make plans to make it be a real thing instead of an idea. I'll for sure post it here.

And we're planning on having guests of different religious viewpoints. Part of the idea is to learn about different faith groups and have the conversations that we never get to have with people--so we want to be able to include faiths other than just those of the 2 of us.
We might have to bring you on as a guest some time!!

Also, since originally starting this, I've also been listening to Hello From the Magic Tavern, which is a lot of fun, and Beautiful/Anonymous which is really interesting.
Mongoose
Your Neighborhood Friendly Mongoose
Preferred Pronouns: She/her/hers
Aka: Alison

Post by Mongoose »

Golden wrote:
Bubbles wrote:
I'm a Christian, but I tend to have a more liberal viewpoint than American Christians do on average (at least, as it appears outwardly).
I relate to that sentiment 110%!

I listen to a lot of podcasts. I listen to them on the commute and when I'm getting ready in the morning (a laborious process with my hair and makeup routine, argh).

All the usual suspects (Serial, Tanis, Black Tapes)
Science Friday
Fresh Air
Accused - for fans of Serial
Breakdown - ditto
In the Dark - ditto
Found Footage Files
Darkest Night
EW Binge
Slate Culture Gabfest
EW Pop Culture Podcast
Secrets, Crimes & Audiotape
Harry Potter and the Sacred Text
The Deep Vault
Small Town Horror
Archive 81
RadioLab
This American Life
Rotten Tomatoes (on hiatus)
Slate's Audio Book Club
Lore
LifeAfter
Women of the Hour
Snap Judgment
The Bright Sessions
Maltin on Movies
Homecoming
ars Paradoxica
King Falls AM - perfect for fans of Night Vale
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImage
DharmaHelper
Capo Regime (Street Boss)
Posts in topic: 5

Post by DharmaHelper »

maximumfun.org
our Linkitis is our lives.

ImageImage
ImageImage
Dom
mayor of gaytown

Post by Dom »

538Politics and that's about it.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
A Person
Loan Shark

Post by A Person »

What app(s) do y'all use to listen to podcasts? While I like podcasts I rarely listen and I think it would be easier if i had one place to access them all.
Dom
mayor of gaytown

Post by Dom »

Apple's podcast app. :p

I've just gotten into Pod Save America and NYT Daily.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
LoRab
Loan Shark

Post by LoRab »

Please tell me someone else has listened to S-Town. Because OMG!!!!
juliets
Dancing Pancake
Posts in topic: 3
Preferred Pronouns: she/her/hers
Aka: jules

Post by juliets »

LoRab wrote:Please tell me someone else has listened to S-Town. Because OMG!!!!
I haven't but I heard it's great!
JaggedJimmyJay wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 3:24 pm Always good to remember that there is no such thing as a Mafia circumstance that is worth real human emotion. Sometimes it will naturally come out, but it can be contained if we just remember that this is a game on a message board forum that 99.99% of the population of the Earth has never heard of before. No matter how successful anyone is, it means just about nothing.

ImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
S~V~S
Captain Obvious

Post by S~V~S »

Two of my brothers listened to it. One really liked it.

The other said it invaded the privacy of the dead guy (???) Not sure what he meant by that. But he said he found it upsetting that things were revealed about him that he would not have liked. Whatever that means.

I have never listened to podcasts but was considering this one. Without spoilers, was my brother right?
Skip softly, my moonbeams, for I have heard tell
That the stairs up to heaven lead straight down to hell
DharmaHelper

Post by DharmaHelper »

S~V~S wrote:Two of my brothers listened to it. One really liked it.

The other said it invaded the privacy of the dead guy (???) Not sure what he meant by that. But he said he found it upsetting that things were revealed about him that he would not have liked. Whatever that means.

I have never listened to podcasts but was considering this one. Without spoilers, was my brother right?
Without spoilers? I would say that's a tough call. I can see how some things might have been best left alone, but then again one of the sort of..themes I guess of S-Town is kind of about... don't leave things alone.

I personally found S-Town to be pretty good. I don't usually listen to podcasts in that vein either. But it was good.

ImageImage
ImageImage
Dom
mayor of gaytown

Post by Dom »

I'm excited for S-Town. HAven't yet.
LoRab
Loan Shark

Post by LoRab »

DharmaHelper wrote:
S~V~S wrote:Two of my brothers listened to it. One really liked it.

Without spoilers? I would say that's a tough call. I can see how some things might have been best left alone, but then again one of the sort of..themes I guess of S-Town is kind of about... don't leave things alone.

I personally found S-Town to be pretty good. I don't usually listen to podcasts in that vein either. But it was good.
I agree. I think it's a fair criticism, but I ultimately do not agree. Impossible to give a fuller answer without spoilers. All in all, I personally thought it was done respectfully.

The whole show is fascinating, funny, poignant, and in some ways hopeful. Also, it's getting a glimpse into a part of the US that, at least for me, seems in many ways to be a foreign country.
S~V~S
Captain Obvious

Post by S~V~S »

Thank you both, I am intrigued. MaybeI will jump into the podcast world.
Skip softly, my moonbeams, for I have heard tell
That the stairs up to heaven lead straight down to hell
DharmaHelper

Post by DharmaHelper »

S-Town made me interested in listening to Serial. I watched S-Town in a day and haven't been able to push through the first episode of Serial, so maybe that says something :P

ImageImage
ImageImage
DharmaHelper

Post by DharmaHelper »

S-Town spoiler question pls don't click if you haven't seen literally the whole series please.

Am I nuts or did John B. use all the gold he bought with his shitload of clock money to gild the clocks he apparently just gave to people?

ImageImage
ImageImage
juliets
Dancing Pancake

Post by juliets »

OH MY GOD I listened to S-Town while the site was down and it was amazing. I'm from Alabama so unlike Lorab's feeling that it was like a foreign country it was more like a world I know only too well. I agree that it was respectfully done. And DH, I think the answer to your question is "no" and I can't say any more because the spoilers aren't working and I don't want to give anything away for people who haven't listened to it yet. And for those of you that haven't, do yourself a favor and download it. I listened to it every day while I jogged. DH, I also downloaded Serial, starting with 2014 and I'm enjoying it. I don't think anything will live up to S-Town though.
JaggedJimmyJay wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 3:24 pm Always good to remember that there is no such thing as a Mafia circumstance that is worth real human emotion. Sometimes it will naturally come out, but it can be contained if we just remember that this is a game on a message board forum that 99.99% of the population of the Earth has never heard of before. No matter how successful anyone is, it means just about nothing.

ImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
Dom
mayor of gaytown

Post by Dom »

I finally listened to S-Town and holy shit!
Dom
mayor of gaytown

Post by Dom »

@DH: yes? may[mention]DharmaHelper[/mention]
Golden
The Coward

Post by Golden »

For those who like true crime podcasting, it would be interesting to know what you make of "Black Hands", as far as I am aware NZs first true crime podcast. I haven't actually listened to it myself yet, being far too close to it at my place of work for it to be something I want to go back over. But I'd certainly be intrigued what others think (and it has good writeups).
juliets
Dancing Pancake

Post by juliets »

Oh, I'll have to try to find that Golden. Hopefully its on iTunes.

ImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
DharmaHelper

Post by DharmaHelper »

Dom wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2017 9:43 pm @DH: yes? may@DharmaHelper

So the mention feature works.

Also @Dom hi bud hope you're good!

ImageImage
ImageImage
Golden
The Coward

Post by Golden »

You have to click on the name or type the mention code in, like this [mention]Dom[/mention]
Dom
mayor of gaytown

Post by Dom »

YEah, you ninny, [mention]DharmaHelper[/mention]
dunya
GOAT Whisperer

Post by dunya »

if anyone is interested in football (soccer for Americans), and the PL in particular, I highly recommend the James Richardson podcast The Totally Football Show

https://audioboom.com/channel/the-total ... richardson
Spacedaisy
Spectral Enchantress

Post by Spacedaisy »

I've been listening to rabbits. I love this one. Don't hate me but I didn't get into Nightvale...
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
JaggedJimmyJay
The Brassiere of The Syndicate
Preferred Pronouns: He/him/his/himself
Aka: Jay | JJJ | J3 | 3J | jagged | Jimmy | KOFM

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

My Dad Wrote a Porno.
Overall: 73-57 (.56) | Town 49-41 (.54) | Mafia 18-11 (.62) | Independent 6-4 (.60)

The Syndicate: Town 23-26; Mafia 10-5; Indy 5-1 | RateYourMusic: Town 14-13; Mafia 5-4; Indy 0-3 | Mafia Universe: Town 6-0; Mafia 1-0 | Student Doctor Network: Town 2-1; Mafia 1-0 | HeroClixRealms: Town 1-0; Mafia 0-1 | Bulbagarden: Mafia 0-1; Indy 1-0 | 2+2 POG: Town 1-0 | Naruto Forums: Town 0-1 | Personality Café: Town 1-0 | Vendetta Strada: Town 0-1 | Mafia451: Town 1-0 | Wintreath: Mafia 1-0

Awards:

The Syndicate

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Student Doctor Network

ImageImageImageImageImage

Rate Your Music

Best Townie, Maffies 4, 8 and 9
Best Scum, Maffies 3
Best Moderator, Maffies 8 and 9
Most Valuable Player, Maffies 7 and 9
Best Roleplay, Maffies 4 and 6
Spirit Award, Maffies 9
Hall of Fame inductee, Maffies 4

Mafia Universe

Mafia Championship Finalist, 2015 and 2020
Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage[-Mass Effect Mafia banner-]ImageImageImageImage
Spacedaisy
Spectral Enchantress

Post by Spacedaisy »

Ok so I can't rave about Rabbits enough. All you Lost fans, seriously you need to listen to Rabbits. I even got Alex hooked and podcasts are not his thing at all.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum
Preferred Pronouns: any/all
Aka: Tangy