Travel Thread

Kick back and relax by discussing anything unrelated to mafia at The Syndicate's Speakeasy.

Moderator: Community Team

JaggedJimmyJay
The Brassiere of The Syndicate
Posts in topic: 22
Preferred Pronouns: He/him/his/himself
Aka: Jay | JJJ | J3 | 3J | jagged | Jimmy | KOFM

Travel Thread

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

The title of the thread describes the contents of the thread. It's a thread about travel. :smile:

Ever since my first duty station in the Air Force (Las Vegas) I have been developing an insatiable lust for travel. I am rarely one to make large purchases, because I am content with pretty cheap hobbies. Travel is where I splurge and act irresponsibly. I have a feeling this is something I will carry with me until I drop dead. It's a big world and I hate knowing I haven't seen every square centimeter of it.

Talk about travel in this thread! Talk about trips you've taken in the past, want to take, intend to take in the future, or whatever. I'd love to hear about where y'all have been or want to go.
Spoiler: show
Overall: 73-57 (.56) | Town 49-41 (.54) | Mafia 18-11 (.62) | Independent 6-4 (.60)

The Syndicate: Town 23-26; Mafia 10-5; Indy 5-1 | RateYourMusic: Town 14-13; Mafia 5-4; Indy 0-3 | Mafia Universe: Town 6-0; Mafia 1-0 | Student Doctor Network: Town 2-1; Mafia 1-0 | HeroClixRealms: Town 1-0; Mafia 0-1 | Bulbagarden: Mafia 0-1; Indy 1-0 | 2+2 POG: Town 1-0 | Naruto Forums: Town 0-1 | Personality Café: Town 1-0 | Vendetta Strada: Town 0-1 | Mafia451: Town 1-0 | Wintreath: Mafia 1-0

Awards:

The Syndicate

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Student Doctor Network

ImageImageImageImageImage

Rate Your Music

Best Townie, Maffies 4, 8 and 9
Best Scum, Maffies 3
Best Moderator, Maffies 8 and 9
Most Valuable Player, Maffies 7 and 9
Best Roleplay, Maffies 4 and 6
Spirit Award, Maffies 9
Hall of Fame inductee, Maffies 4

Mafia Universe

Mafia Championship Finalist, 2015 and 2020
Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage[-Mass Effect Mafia banner-]ImageImageImageImage
Epignosis
Skeletor
Posts in topic: 12

Re: Travel Thread

Post by Epignosis »

I went to Indiana once.
Stream my music for free: https://epignosis.bandcamp.com/
JaggedJimmyJay

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

I like to keep a map tracking where I've been, within North American states/provinces and also countries in Europe. I've never been to any other continent.

The countries that draw me the most now are:
Greenland
Peru
Japan
New Zealand

It's a lot tougher in the post-Air Force era to make that shit happen, but I'll do it damnit. :noble:
Overall: 73-57 (.56) | Town 49-41 (.54) | Mafia 18-11 (.62) | Independent 6-4 (.60)

The Syndicate: Town 23-26; Mafia 10-5; Indy 5-1 | RateYourMusic: Town 14-13; Mafia 5-4; Indy 0-3 | Mafia Universe: Town 6-0; Mafia 1-0 | Student Doctor Network: Town 2-1; Mafia 1-0 | HeroClixRealms: Town 1-0; Mafia 0-1 | Bulbagarden: Mafia 0-1; Indy 1-0 | 2+2 POG: Town 1-0 | Naruto Forums: Town 0-1 | Personality Café: Town 1-0 | Vendetta Strada: Town 0-1 | Mafia451: Town 1-0 | Wintreath: Mafia 1-0

Awards:

The Syndicate

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Student Doctor Network

Rate Your Music

Best Scum, Maffies 3
Spirit Award, Maffies 9

Mafia Universe

Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage[-Mass Effect Mafia banner-]ImageImageImageImage
JaggedJimmyJay

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

Epignosis wrote:I went to Indiana once.
I went to one of those dorky SomethingCons in Indianapolis last year. It smelled bad.

Cool city though. I had more fun wandering around downtown.

Awards:

The Syndicate

Student Doctor Network

Rate Your Music

Best Scum, Maffies 3
Spirit Award, Maffies 9

Mafia Universe

Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

Sloonei
Cap'n Sloonbeard
Posts in topic: 16
Preferred Pronouns: he/his/him

Post by Sloonei »

My first real travel experience was a school trip to Ireland 3 years ago. It was an amazing place and I've been itching to go back ever since.
The following summer I went on a roadtrip around the US with some friends. That was an incredible experience. We camped out, either in National Parks or wherever we could find a spot to pitch a campsite for the night, woke up at sunset every morning and would be off on adventures. Probably the best couple weeks of my life.
And my girlfriend and I live in separate countries for the time being, so seeing each other always involves travel and adventure. We're planning a roadtrip around New England and parts of Canada this summer, so I'm looking forward to that.

Iceland and Scandinavia are my most desired locations to visit in the world right now. I'd also love to go to parts of southern Europe (Italy and Greece particularly because I'm a sucker for historicality) and/or South America, and the hobbit in me longs to explore New Zealand. It would be excellent to get to the Himalayas and eastern Asia at some point as well. The world is full of things I want to experience.
My banners:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
G-Man
Made Man
Posts in topic: 9

Post by G-Man »

I have lived in:
-Pennsylvania

I have done touristy things in:
-New York
-New Jersey
-Maryland
-Delaware
-Washington D.C.
-Virginia
-West Virginia
-North Carolina
-Florida (though I was a baby and don't remember it)

I have been on work trips in:
-Virginia
-West Virginia
-South Carolina

I have driven through part of:
-Tennessee
-Georgia (though I was a baby and don't remember it)

The furthest North I have been is a hunting cabin near the PA-NY line
The furthest East I have been is in the Atlantic Ocean on a Navy ship with Boy Scouts
The furthest South I have been is Disney World in Florida (though I was a baby and don't remember it)
The furthest West I have been is Jonesville, VA on a work trip
A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V
My Banners:
Word to your mom- my spreadsheet's the bomb
I got more rhymes than BoB's host Dom
Epignosis
Skeletor

Post by Epignosis »

JaggedJimmyJay wrote:
Epignosis wrote:I went to Indiana once.
I went to one of those dorky SomethingCons in Indianapolis last year. It smelled bad.

Cool city though. I had more fun wandering around downtown.
Hell of a science museum and zoo.
JaggedJimmyJay

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

Sloonei wrote:My first real travel experience was a school trip to Ireland 3 years ago. It was an amazing place and I've been itching to go back ever since.
I was in Dublin and Galway about a year ago. Ireland is a lovely place; I felt like I was missing the core of the experience though as a non-drinker. If I go back I will probably leave that particular conviction at home.
Sloonei wrote:Iceland and Scandinavia are my most desired locations to visit in the world right now.
Of the countries I've seen, Iceland and Norway are the two I'd usually call my "favorites". You can't go wrong with the Nordic countries.

Awards:

The Syndicate

Student Doctor Network

Rate Your Music

Best Scum, Maffies 3
Spirit Award, Maffies 9

Mafia Universe

Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

G-Man
Made Man

Post by G-Man »

My wife on the other hand has been to most of the lower 48, Puerto Rico, England, France, South Africa, Zimbabwe, Zambia, and Australia.

:sigh:
My Banners:
Sloonei
Cap'n Sloonbeard

Post by Sloonei »

I'd like to talk about Iowa for a moment, because I may be one of the few people on this earth who can say they have an honest to God Iowa Story. On Day 2 of the aforementioned roadtrip across the US, my friends and I were driving straight through Iowa, because what's there to see in Iowa after the World's Largest Truckstop (which we reached at around 4 AM the night before)? We drove through the night and into the day, not stopping until we reached the Rockies in Colorado. Around mid-morning, still laboring our way through the everlasting cornfield called Iowa, I am dozing off in the backseat beside Friend A, Friends B & C up front. Friend A, bored as one is to be in Iowa, decides to hold his GoPro out the window of the car and start filming the last exciting moments of our trip as we rush down the interstate.
On that morning, somebody in Iowa on that highway behind us saw this, and decided to mistake Friend A's camera for a handgun, and made the bold leap to believe that he was firing it out the window while whipping down the highway. So naturally they called the state police on this maniac. We, of course, were blissfully unaware, still driving toward our destination until suddenly a police cruiser comes flying up behind us, sirens going. We pull over, expecting them to fly past us. They don't. They stop behind us, two police officers step out, and they're each carrying full assault rifles. They start walking towards us, as we all look on, confused as we've ever been. They get to the car, look at Friend A and see that the thing in his hand is not a gun but a GoPro camera. They yell at him, tell him that was stupid, and say something about how in Massachusetts they would have had us out of the car and on the ground. But in Massachusetts I find it hard to believe that anybody would ever think that we were firing a handgun out the window on the highway. Such a thought would never enter my mind, and I'm still baffled that it happened.

In the end the cops apologized to us and were friendly enough once they recognized the error, and we were off on our way. But I've resented the state of Iowa ever since.
My banners:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
Sloonei
Cap'n Sloonbeard

Post by Sloonei »

JaggedJimmyJay wrote:
Sloonei wrote:My first real travel experience was a school trip to Ireland 3 years ago. It was an amazing place and I've been itching to go back ever since.
I was in Dublin and Galway about a year ago. Ireland is a lovely place; I felt like I was missing the core of the experience though as a non-drinker. If I go back I will probably leave that particular conviction at home.
Sloonei wrote:Iceland and Scandinavia are my most desired locations to visit in the world right now.
Of the countries I've seen, Iceland and Norway are the two I'd usually call my "favorites". You can't go wrong with the Nordic countries.
I had never had a sip of alcohol until a few weeks before I left for Ireland. I felt it was an essential part of the experience and couldn't miss out.

The Cliffs of Moher are the single most impressive/terrifying natural feature I've ever seen.
My banners:
ImageImageImageImage
JaggedJimmyJay

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

G-Man wrote:My wife on the other hand has been to most of the lower 48, Puerto Rico, England, France, South Africa, Zimbabwe, Zambia, and Australia.

The next time she packs a suitcase, hide inside it.

Awards:

The Syndicate

Student Doctor Network

Rate Your Music

Best Scum, Maffies 3
Spirit Award, Maffies 9

Mafia Universe

Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

G-Man
Made Man

Post by G-Man »

JaggedJimmyJay wrote:
G-Man wrote:My wife on the other hand has been to most of the lower 48, Puerto Rico, England, France, South Africa, Zimbabwe, Zambia, and Australia.

The next time she packs a suitcase, hide inside it.
Most of her travels were before we were married. Her trip to Africa was to see her sister, who was there as a mission intern. I stayed home because I was unemployed and didn't want to go away for two weeks and miss a call for an interview. Other than that, I've made her travel life about as boring as mine. :feb:

For me, there are three places I must visit before I die: Germany, Antarctica, and Easter Island.
My Banners:
JaggedJimmyJay

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

Sloonei wrote:
I'd like to talk about Iowa for a moment, because I may be one of the few people on this earth who can say they have an honest to God Iowa Story. On Day 2 of the aforementioned roadtrip across the US, my friends and I were driving straight through Iowa, because what's there to see in Iowa after the World's Largest Truckstop (which we reached at around 4 AM the night before)? We drove through the night and into the day, not stopping until we reached the Rockies in Colorado. Around mid-morning, still laboring our way through the everlasting cornfield called Iowa, I am dozing off in the backseat beside Friend A, Friends B & C up front. Friend A, bored as one is to be in Iowa, decides to hold his GoPro out the window of the car and start filming the last exciting moments of our trip as we rush down the interstate.
On that morning, somebody in Iowa on that highway behind us saw this, and decided to mistake Friend A's camera for a handgun, and made the bold leap to believe that he was firing it out the window while whipping down the highway. So naturally they called the state police on this maniac. We, of course, were blissfully unaware, still driving toward our destination until suddenly a police cruiser comes flying up behind us, sirens going. We pull over, expecting them to fly past us. They don't. They stop behind us, two police officers step out, and they're each carrying full assault rifles. They start walking towards us, as we all look on, confused as we've ever been. They get to the car, look at Friend A and see that the thing in his hand is not a gun but a GoPro camera. They yell at him, tell him that was stupid, and say something about how in Massachusetts they would have had us out of the car and on the ground. But in Massachusetts I find it hard to believe that anybody would ever think that we were firing a handgun out the window on the highway. Such a thought would never enter my mind, and I'm still baffled that it happened.

In the end the cops apologized to us and were friendly enough once they recognized the error, and we were off on our way. But I've resented the state of Iowa ever since.
:haha:

Iowa is always my go-to state when I need to make fun of a boring place, which is terribly unfair since I have never actually been to Iowa. That story could have certainly ended worse though.
Sloonei wrote:The Cliffs of Moher are the single most impressive/terrifying natural feature I've ever seen.
When people kept ignoring the signs and walking right out to the very edge I was holding my breath. They're glorious, no doubt.

Awards:

The Syndicate

Student Doctor Network

Rate Your Music

Best Scum, Maffies 3
Spirit Award, Maffies 9

Mafia Universe

Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

Ricochet
Uomini D'onore (Man of Honor)
Posts in topic: 10

Post by Ricochet »

I've started travelling abroad rather late, around the age of 18 (I'm saying this feeling I should have done this a lot earlier than that), back when I was chasing bands touring in Europe or wanted to escape from home during the Christmas holiday or had a gf to take a vacation with. I haven't been doing it as often ever since I've exiled myself on an island in the Pacific. :solitary: My parents pick me up with a rented flying boat every summer, so I usually tag along.

My power rankings thus far:

0. On top of the Vesuvius, during a surreal foggy, cloudy weather in slow anticipation of a seething rainstorm, whilst listening to Zeit
1. Florence
2. Lisbon
(=====================good friggin' luck beating the above, thus far=====================)
3. Paris (I'm including Versailles in here)
4. Budapest
5. Bruges
6. Vienna
7. Algarve (Lagos, specifically)
8. Hamburg
9. London
10. Rome
11. Prague
12. Siena
13. Berlin
14. Pompeii
15. Paola
16. Maribor
17. Cascais
18. Sagres
19. Oostende
20. Cosenza
21. Fatima

Too transitory to count: Antwerp, Belgrade, Munchen, Szeged
JaggedJimmyJay

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

G-Man wrote:Antarctica
Definitely on my list too. It's one of the most difficult trips to arrange and undertake that there is, but I very much want to feel the ground there.

Awards:

The Syndicate

Student Doctor Network

Rate Your Music

Best Scum, Maffies 3
Spirit Award, Maffies 9

Mafia Universe

Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

Ricochet

Post by Ricochet »

JaggedJimmyJay wrote:
G-Man wrote:Antarctica
Definitely on my list too. It's one of the most difficult trips to arrange and undertake that there is, but I very much want to feel the ground there.
I hear there's a lot of snow there.
Golden
The Coward

Post by Golden »

JaggedJimmyJay wrote:I like to keep a map tracking where I've been, within North American states/provinces and also countries in Europe. I've never been to any other continent.

The countries that draw me the most now are:
Greenland
Peru
Japan
New Zealand

It's a lot tougher in the post-Air Force era to make that shit happen, but I'll do it damnit. :noble:
I'm here waiting!
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Canucklehead wrote:Civ Golden is a hurricane of self-assurance.
G-Man wrote: Coward
JaggedJimmyJay

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

Ricochet wrote:2. Lisbon

6. Vienna
:nicenod:

When I started exploring Europe, Vienna was my biggest target (mostly due to my love for the movie Before Sunrise). It didn't disappoint. Lisbon was a very pleasant surprise.

Awards:

The Syndicate

Student Doctor Network

Rate Your Music

Best Scum, Maffies 3
Spirit Award, Maffies 9

Mafia Universe

Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

JaggedJimmyJay

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

Golden wrote:I'm here waiting!
I figure I listen to so much of the music; I need to see the homeland.

Awards:

The Syndicate

Student Doctor Network

Rate Your Music

Best Scum, Maffies 3
Spirit Award, Maffies 9

Mafia Universe

Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

Golden
The Coward

Post by Golden »

Most of my overseas trips have been to Sydney and Los Angeles. Being a bit of a Disneyphile, I've done 8 trips that have at least involved briefly popping in to LA to theme park. I've done much of the East coast of Australia, San Fran, San Diego, Las Vegas, London and some other parts of England, Paris, Rome, Venice, Hong Kong, Dubai, and South Africa.

I really want to get to the Eastern US.
G-Man
Made Man

Post by G-Man »

Golden wrote:Most of my overseas trips have been to Sydney and Los Angeles. Being a bit of a Disneyphile, I've done 8 trips that have at least involved briefly popping in to LA to theme park. I've done much of the East coast of Australia, San Fran, San Diego, Las Vegas, London and some other parts of England, Paris, Rome, Venice, Hong Kong, Dubai, and South Africa.

We're eager to have you. :D
My Banners:
nutella
Connoisseur of Spice
Posts in topic: 5
Preferred Pronouns: she/her/hers

Post by nutella »

:omg: I really want to travel to so many places aaaa I will never be satisfied I want to go everywhere :sigh: The farthest from the US I've been is Spain (on a week-long high school trip), and I loved it so much and want to go back.

Though I am lucky enough to have been to Hawaii a ton of times (I think about 10 separate trips over the course of my lifetime) since my mom grew up there and she always wants to go back for vacation :p I love it a lot. I've also been on two cruises to the southeast passage of Alaska (once with my family and then last year with my boyfriend's family) and it's beautiful there.

I'll try a list here. (Nice color-coded map JJJ! My mom got me one of those scratch-off-where-you've-been world maps but I haven't used it yet and it doesn't feel like I've been to nearly enough places yet for it to look interesting :p)

States I've lived in:
New York
Pennsylvania
Oregon

States I've spent time in other than those (airports/non-memorable pass-throughs don't count):
Massachusetts
Connecticut
Maine
Delaware
New Jersey
California
Washington
Alaska
Hawaii (O'ahu, Kauai, Molokai)

...Pretty much the west coast and the northeast, lol.

Other places I've been to:
Canada (just Vancouver and Victoria in BC because of those aforementioned Alaska cruises)
St. Thomas (USVI) (when I was really little; barely remember)
Spain

Aaand I think that's about it. :(

Places I most want to go.... I mean honestly anywhere and everywhere but a few of the countries that interest me most are Iceland, Peru, Japan, Turkey, South Africa, Kenya, and ...oh I have to end the list somewhere, let's just say also the general area of Southeast Asia/Malaysia/Indonesia.

Basically I wish I could do what Anthony Bourdain does. Travel to all the cool places and sample all the tasty food. I watch his shows with desperate, envious yearning. :sigh:
to the spoiler go the victories:
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image ImageImage Image Image Image
Image Image Image Image
Image Image Image Image Image
Image Image
JaggedJimmyJay

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

I know how you feel, nutella. There is pretty much no travel opportunity, short maybe of a war zone, that I would turn down. I want it all!

Awards:

The Syndicate

Student Doctor Network

Rate Your Music

Best Scum, Maffies 3
Spirit Award, Maffies 9

Mafia Universe

Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

JaggedJimmyJay

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

U.S. states I have not visited in any capacity:

Oregon
Arizona
New Mexico
North Dakota
Nebraska
Iowa
Wisconsin
Delaware
Vermont
New Hampshire
Maine
Hawaii
Alaska

Highlighted the ones I would call my "priorities", though I'm down to go to any of them yesterday.

Awards:

The Syndicate

Student Doctor Network

Rate Your Music

Best Scum, Maffies 3
Spirit Award, Maffies 9

Mafia Universe

Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

Golden
The Coward

Post by Golden »

I'm much like nutella and Jay with travel. I'd like to go to a lot of places. The problem is once I go places I also want to go back. And I'd like them to stay frozen in time so I can see them as they are right now...

Unfortunately, with a house and small child, it might be off the table for a bit.
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum
Posts in topic: 3
Preferred Pronouns: any/all
Aka: Tangy

Post by Tangrowth »

I love this thread. I haven't traveled nearly enough, and I want to do a lot more.
Sloonei
Cap'n Sloonbeard

Post by Sloonei »

I've lived in Massachusetts all my life and I love mountains but I've never once set foot in Vermont.
My banners:
ImageImageImageImage
Golden
The Coward

Post by Golden »

Sloonei wrote:My first real travel experience was a school trip to Ireland 3 years ago.
"Sloonei" actually sounds Irish to me.
juliets
Dancing Pancake
Posts in topic: 14
Aka: jules

Post by juliets »

Ricochet wrote:I've started travelling abroad rather late, around the age of 18 (I'm saying this feeling I should have done this a lot earlier than that), back when I was chasing bands touring in Europe or wanted to escape from home during the Christmas holiday or had a gf to take a vacation with. I haven't been doing it as often ever since I've exiled myself on an island in the Pacific. :solitary: My parents pick me up with a rented flying boat every summer, so I usually tag along.

My power rankings thus far:

0. On top of the Vesuvius, during a surreal foggy, cloudy weather in slow anticipation of a seething rainstorm, whilst listening to Zeit
1. Florence
2. Lisbon
(=====================good friggin' luck beating the above, thus far=====================)
3. Paris (I'm including Versailles in here)
4. Budapest
5. Bruges
6. Vienna
7. Algarve (Lagos, specifically)
8. Hamburg
9. London
10. Rome
11. Prague
12. Siena
13. Berlin
14. Pompeii
15. Paola
16. Maribor
17. Cascais
18. Sagres
19. Oostende
20. Cosenza
21. Fatima

Too transitory to count: Antwerp, Belgrade, Munchen, Szeged
I'm so happy to see Florence at the top of the list. I loved Florence, The art, the art , the art. It was magnificent and easy to get around in by foot, not as large as Rome but chock full of historical things nonetheless.

Other than Florence I've been to Rome, Paris and London in Europe. Pairs was my second favorite city, again the historical sites and the art. The Louvre was outstanding. Rome was home to my favorite piece of art, a sculpture by Bernini, but I didn't dig the ruins that everyone talks so much about. A lot of it felt like, well, ruins. Bricks and rocks and things. Missed Pompeii, need to do that on a return trip.

I got stopped in Rome by the metro police - I thought they were the real police - who spoke to me in angry, loud Italian and I didn't understand a word they were saying. My husband had walked off and didn't notice they were detaining me. Turned out they wanted to see my metro ticket which he had (because I left my wallet at a museum in Florence and he decided to take control of all of my things after that). We finally got it straightened out but they made angry and rude comments (which I understood) about people who come to their country and don't speak the language. I was so angry, I wanted to tell them I was helping their country by spending my hard earned money there but I was just happy to get away from them. Ruined my day.

In Europe would like to go to Venice before it drowns, Germany, Austria and Amsterdam. Amsterdam in particular because I am trying to see all the paintings available by Vermeer before I die.

In the states I love NYC (go at Christmas time if you haven't been), Las Vegas (for the shows and the food and the spas not the gambling), Boston and San Fransisco but most of all I love the national parks. Yosemite was to die for, Zion was gorgeous, Bryce, the Grand Canyon, the Grand Tetons, and Acadia all interesting. I'd like to go to Glacier but I'm a little freaked out by the bears (I have all kinds of bear books about how they kill people, I'm fascinated). I'd like to see Hawaii but it's a long way from Florida.

My dream trip is New Zealand - hiking without the wild animals and snakes. But it's so far away, I don't know if I can stand a plane for that long.
JaggedJimmyJay wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 3:24 pm Always good to remember that there is no such thing as a Mafia circumstance that is worth real human emotion. Sometimes it will naturally come out, but it can be contained if we just remember that this is a game on a message board forum that 99.99% of the population of the Earth has never heard of before. No matter how successful anyone is, it means just about nothing.

ImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
Golden
The Coward

Post by Golden »

The plane trip isn't so bad. Stick a movie on, have a sleep, stick another movie on, you're there. It is hard to sleep, but I've gotten used to it a bit now. Actually, I love the flight to USA, it builds anticipation for arrival.

I didn't have an experience like that in Rome juliets (sounds bad) but I have to say Rome was my least favourite of the places I went in Europe. Prego, prego, prego. Everyone seemed like it was a hassle to deal with you. In Paris, people who didn't speak English tried hard to help us. Venice I just adored. England felt a lot like home (we have retained far more 'Britishness' than America, I guess because our independence didn't require any wars).
Epignosis
Skeletor

Post by Epignosis »

I actually don't like travel. I prefer to stay home.

And now that I have this house, that couldn't be truer.
S~V~S
Captain Obvious
Posts in topic: 4

Post by S~V~S »

I have been all over North America, and a fair selection of the Caribbean,but never in the Southern Hemisphere or the Eastern Hemisphere.

Other than visiting Bea, Texas (besides Daisy, MP & Faraday, my husbands family and one of my brothers is in Texas)and Montana, where I used to live and have lots of friends there, I would love to see New Zealand (unless they have the same spiders that can eat cats and snakes that they have in Australia, if so,I will skip that), Iceland, Ireland, Scotland, Scandinavia and the Netherlands so I can hang out with the Dutchies Moms.
Skip softly, my moonbeams, for I have heard tell
That the stairs up to heaven lead straight down to hell
Ricochet

Post by Ricochet »

I had a favorite ruins spot in Rome, but it wasn't within the Roman Forum.

Was the Bernini sculpture Daphnis and Apollo, in the Galleria Borghese, by any chance?

I don't feel the itch to visit either Venice or Milan, to be honest. Probably missing something, but just wouldn't put them anywhere near the top of the wishlist.

Also, silly me, forgot Pisa. I'd place it about 18th.
Epignosis
Skeletor

Post by Epignosis »

One exception would be a cruise. I've been on two and absolutely love them.
S~V~S
Captain Obvious

Post by S~V~S »

Ricochet wrote:I had a favorite ruins spot in Rome, but it wasn't within the Roman Forum.

Was the Bernini sculpture Daphnis and Apollo, in the Galleria Borghese, by any chance?

Oh so jealous. Europe is full of cultural wonders,while the Americas are full of natural wonders.I have seen lots of the natural wonders, I really want to see the ruins and building and man made things more than 3-400 years old.
Golden
The Coward

Post by Golden »

S~V~S wrote:I have been all over North America, and a fair selection of the Caribbean,but never in the Southern Hemisphere or the Eastern Hemisphere.

Other than visiting Bea, Texas (besides Daisy, MP & Faraday, my husbands family and one of my brothers is in Texas)and Montana, where I used to live and have lots of friends there, I would love to see New Zealand (unless they have the same spiders that can eat cats and snakes that they have in Australia, if so,I will skip that), Iceland, Ireland, Scotland, Scandinavia and the Netherlands so I can hang out with the Dutchies Moms.
We have

No snakes at all.
A total of one type of poisonous spider, with no recorded deaths.
No large predators such as bears, big cats, coyotes etc

Pretty much the most dangerous things here are the sheep :p
Epignosis
Skeletor

Post by Epignosis »

Golden wrote:
S~V~S wrote:I have been all over North America, and a fair selection of the Caribbean,but never in the Southern Hemisphere or the Eastern Hemisphere.

We have

No snakes at all.
A total of one type of poisonous spider, with no recorded deaths.
No large predators such as bears, big cats, coyotes etc

Pretty much the most dangerous things here are the sheep :p
We have dangerous sheep too.
S~V~S
Captain Obvious

Post by S~V~S »

i expected a picture of sheep and got a post of you in the politics thread saying you don't like anybody ha ha ha
LoRab
Loan Shark
Posts in topic: 1
Preferred Pronouns: She series

Post by LoRab »

Fun thread!!

In the US:
I've lived in New Jersey, New York, North Carolina, Texas, and Delaware. Spent significant time in Massachusetts and Pennsylvania. I've been to just over half the states, I think. I can't remember my current count. The entire east coast, most of the west coast, and a smattering of states in the middle.

Canada and Mexico
Bahamas, Jamaica, Cayman

England, Wales

Lived in Israel for a year.
Also traveled throughout Israel/Palestine.
And in the rest of that region: Jordan, Egypt, and Sinai (I know Sinai is in Egypt, but geographically, that makes no sense)

And Australia
Golden wrote:Most of my overseas trips have been to Sydney and Los Angeles. Being a bit of a Disneyphile, I've done 8 trips that have at least involved briefly popping in to LA to theme park. I've done much of the East coast of Australia, San Fran, San Diego, Las Vegas, London and some other parts of England, Paris, Rome, Venice, Hong Kong, Dubai, and South Africa.

Pretty sure you'd have a whole lot of hosts. And we might have a Syndicate party to greet you.
Sloonei
Cap'n Sloonbeard

Post by Sloonei »

JaggedJimmyJay wrote:Iowa is always my go-to state when I need to make fun of a boring place, which is terribly unfair since I have never actually been to Iowa. That story could have certainly ended worse though.
It's mine too, but I feel fully justified in my treatment of it. Up yours, Iowa.
Sloonei wrote:The Cliffs of Moher are the single most impressive/terrifying natural feature I've ever seen.
When people kept ignoring the signs and walking right out to the very edge I was holding my breath. They're glorious, no doubt.
I was walking around there with two of my school chums when we first arrived at the cliffs, all of us just soaking in the view. Then the two of them decided they wanted to dangle their legs over the edge. They did that, I took a seat 10 feet back. I still get lightheaded thinking about it. I distinctly remember looking down and seeing tiny little white specs that were seagulls flying around a hundred feet below me.
My banners:
ImageImageImageImage
juliets
Dancing Pancake

Post by juliets »

Sloonei wrote:
I was walking around there with two of my school chums when we first arrived at the cliffs, all of us just soaking in the view. Then the two of them decided they wanted to dangle their legs over the edge. They did that, I took a seat 10 feet back. I still get lightheaded thinking about it. I distinctly remember looking down and seeing tiny little white specs that were seagulls flying around a hundred feet below me.
This makes me feel ill to think about it. My fear of heights is alive and well.

Also, I left out Canada when I talked about my travels. Jasper National Park, Banff National Park and Lake Louise. The Canadian Rockies, beautiful.
JaggedJimmyJay wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 3:24 pm Always good to remember that there is no such thing as a Mafia circumstance that is worth real human emotion. Sometimes it will naturally come out, but it can be contained if we just remember that this is a game on a message board forum that 99.99% of the population of the Earth has never heard of before. No matter how successful anyone is, it means just about nothing.

ImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
juliets
Dancing Pancake

Post by juliets »

Ricochet wrote:I had a favorite ruins spot in Rome, but it wasn't within the Roman Forum.

I don't feel the itch to visit either Venice or Milan, to be honest. Probably missing something, but just wouldn't put them anywhere near the top of the wishlist.

Yes, it was Daphne and Apollo at the Borghese. How did you know that?

ImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
Ricochet

Post by Ricochet »

juliets wrote:

Because I have mad levels of swag. :slick:

And it was one of my favorites as well and since we seem to like a handful of the same things...
juliets
Dancing Pancake

Post by juliets »

Ricochet wrote:
juliets wrote:

Because I have mad levels of swag. :slick:

And it was one of my favorites as well and since we seem to like a handful of the same things...
Unreal that you knew that.

Also, what is in the picture? Whatever it is, I didn't see it.

ImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
Ricochet

Post by Ricochet »

Terme di Caracalla. It was written in the image's URL.
JaggedJimmyJay

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

I'm going to Montreal next week. I am extremely impatient and am tempted to go to the airport today.

Awards:

The Syndicate

Student Doctor Network

Rate Your Music

Best Scum, Maffies 3
Spirit Award, Maffies 9

Mafia Universe

Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

Ricochet

Post by Ricochet »

Going to return the A.L.F.O.T.H.A.D. cassette to the band? ;)
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum
Posts in topic: 3
Preferred Pronouns: any/all
Aka: Tangy

Post by Tangrowth »

Ricochet wrote:Going to return the A.L.F.O.T.H.A.D. cassette to the band? ;)
:haha:
JaggedJimmyJay

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

Delta gave me a decent voucher to amend for a delay that I never complained or even cared about. I'm going to use it. My budget with the voucher, as well as my unvisited targets, permit a most likely trip to northernmost New England (Maine, Vermont, or New Hampshire) or Nova Scotia. I could also consider Wisconsin or Minnesota if prices agree. Someone tell me where to go.

Awards:

The Syndicate

Student Doctor Network

Rate Your Music

Best Scum, Maffies 3
Spirit Award, Maffies 9

Mafia Universe

Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

Return to “The Speakeasy”