The Great Sandwich Debate

Kick back and relax by discussing anything unrelated to mafia at The Syndicate's Speakeasy.

Moderator: Community Team

Place yourself on nutella's/Quin's sandwich alignment chart

Hardline Traditionalist
No votes
Structural Purist / Ingredient Neutral
No votes
Structural Purist / Ingredient Rebel
25%
Structural Neutral / Ingredient Purist
5%
True Neutral
5%
Structural Neutral / Ingredient Rebel
25%
Structural Rebel / Ingredient Purist
5%
Structural Rebel / Ingredient Neutral
10%
Radical Sandwich Anarchy
15%
Other (specify)
10%

Total votes: 20
Kylemii
Bodice of Reason
Posts in topic: 2
Preferred Pronouns: he/him

Re: The Great Sandwich Debate

Post by Kylemii »

I think an important key factor is that a sandwich must be able to be handheld. A calzone is basically a sandwich, but lasanga is not a sandwich, even though it is food contained in another food. Hot Pockets are marketed as a warm sandwich. Nigiri rolls can be eaten by hand but are also more often eaten with chopsticks, keeping them from sandwich status. A deep dish pizza is further from being a sandwich but I think it could be argued that flat pizza or regular pizza is a style of open faced sandwich. I would also put quesadilla and hotdog in sandwich territory.

I think just in general if you have to sit down to eat something it's probably not a sandwich. If at least one food item is contained within a different non-liquid food item and can be eaten while standing or walking without you needing to wash your hands afterwards, then I believe that food item can qualify as a sandwich.

Idk where that puts me on the chart.
Sloonei
Cap'n Sloonbeard
Posts in topic: 5
Preferred Pronouns: he/his/him

Post by Sloonei »

Kylemii wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2018 3:23 am I think an important key factor is that a sandwich must be able to be handheld. A calzone is basically a sandwich, but lasanga is not a sandwich, even though it is food contained in another food. Hot Pockets are marketed as a warm sandwich. Nigiri rolls can be eaten by hand but are also more often eaten with chopsticks, keeping them from sandwich status. A deep dish pizza is further from being a sandwich but I think it could be argued that flat pizza or regular pizza is a style of open faced sandwich. I would also put quesadilla and hotdog in sandwich territory.

I think just in general if you have to sit down to eat something it's probably not a sandwich. If at least one food item is contained within a different non-liquid food item and can be eaten while standing or walking without you needing to wash your hands afterwards, then I believe that food item can qualify as a sandwich.

Idk where that puts me on the chart.
Am I a sandwich in the hand of God?
My banners:
Spoiler: show
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Sloonei
Cap'n Sloonbeard

Post by Sloonei »

I'd label myself a sandwich dadaist.
My banners:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
Kylemii
Bodice of Reason
Preferred Pronouns: he/him

Post by Kylemii »

[mention]Sloonei[/mention]

If a specified god can eat clothing as well as uncooked and still-living human meat then I think you would qualify as a sandwich for that particular god, assuming that the god in question is large enough (or just strong enough) for you to be considered a portable food item to them.

bringing non-human entities expands the definition I think. humans (probably) invented the concept of "sandwich", if I saw a monkey drop a smooshed banana in a pile of leaves and he went to pick it up and noticed there were two leaves stuck to it on either side and ate it anyways, I'd consider that to be a sandwich almost without contest.
Sloonei
Cap'n Sloonbeard

Post by Sloonei »

I mean, Cronus ate essentially an entire pantheon of gods which then went on to overpower him, and the Judeo-Christian God more or less encompasses all creation. I think there's a firm baseline for deities who could feasibly consume a living person, textiles and all.

The cosmos is God's sandwich.

A wise skeptic would present a riddle of the universe wherein God has prepared His sandwich and set down to eat it in all its glory. Every star, every solar system, every living and non-living thing, every last speck of dust, all is crafted into this immaculate hoagie. But just as He is set to take His first bite, He puts some mayonnaise on it.
My banners:
ImageImageImageImage
Epignosis
Skeletor
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Epignosis »

Hellmann's.
Stream my music for free: https://epignosis.bandcamp.com/
dunya
GOAT Whisperer

Post by dunya »

Quin wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:33 pm
dunya wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2018 6:36 am
Sloonei wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:07 pm Today I was standing firmly with two feet on the ground. Looking above me, I saw the sky. Looking down, I saw the Earth; and in that moment I had to ask myself: Am I a sandwich?
Quin would say yes; you meet all of the criteria, which isn't a fucking lot let me tell ya. :p
This is slander!

You're thinking of Pink/A Person kk
oh right, you called my falafel sandwich NOT a sandwich. You're True Evil.
juliets
Dancing Pancake
Posts in topic: 12
Preferred Pronouns: she/her/hers
Aka: jules

Post by juliets »

JaggedJimmyJay wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 3:24 pm Always good to remember that there is no such thing as a Mafia circumstance that is worth real human emotion. Sometimes it will naturally come out, but it can be contained if we just remember that this is a game on a message board forum that 99.99% of the population of the Earth has never heard of before. No matter how successful anyone is, it means just about nothing.

ImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
Quin
Indecent Bastard
Posts in topic: 11

Post by Quin »

juliets wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 12:34 pm Ok, I just found this article:

https://www.theatlantic.com/entertainme ... ch/414352/
good article except it says that a roll is a sandwich which it absolutely is not
Lunalee wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 9:13 amQuin's ISO is full of posts that are actually trying to be helpful to the game. This doesn't look like town Quin.
ImageImageImageImage
juliets
Dancing Pancake

Post by juliets »

Quin wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 10:24 pm

good article except it says that a roll is a sandwich which it absolutely is not
I don't think it does [mention]Quin[/mention] because their first rule is:

To qualify as “a sandwich,” a given food product must, structurally, consist of two (2) exterior pieces that are either separate or mostly separate;

Isn't your roll attached?
JaggedJimmyJay wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 3:24 pm Always good to remember that there is no such thing as a Mafia circumstance that is worth real human emotion. Sometimes it will naturally come out, but it can be contained if we just remember that this is a game on a message board forum that 99.99% of the population of the Earth has never heard of before. No matter how successful anyone is, it means just about nothing.

ImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
Quin
Indecent Bastard

Post by Quin »

juliets wrote: Sun Sep 23, 2018 8:46 am

I don't think it does @Quin because their first rule is:

To qualify as “a sandwich,” a given food product must, structurally, consist of two (2) exterior pieces that are either separate or mostly separate;

'mostly separate' would be inclusive of rolls. They consider burgers a sandwich, so.
Lunalee wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 9:13 amQuin's ISO is full of posts that are actually trying to be helpful to the game. This doesn't look like town Quin.
ImageImageImageImage
juliets
Dancing Pancake

Post by juliets »

Quin wrote: Sun Sep 23, 2018 5:00 pm
juliets wrote: Sun Sep 23, 2018 8:46 am

I don't think it does @Quin because their first rule is:

'mostly separate' would be inclusive of rolls. They consider burgers a sandwich, so.
oh, maybe your hamburger buns are different - mine are always detached.

ImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
nutella
Connoisseur of Spice

Post by nutella »

lol this came up at work a couple weeks ago and i was introduced to this wild website http://cuberule.com/ enjoy
to the spoiler go the victories:
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image ImageImage Image Image Image
Image Image Image Image
Image Image Image Image Image
Image Image
Quin
Indecent Bastard

Post by Quin »

nutella wrote: Sun Sep 23, 2018 7:24 pm lol this came up at work a couple weeks ago and i was introduced to this wild website http://cuberule.com/ enjoy
this is the most chaotic thing ive ever seen
ImageImageImageImage
Epignosis
Skeletor

Post by Epignosis »

Nuns are upside-down tacos.
Quin
Indecent Bastard

Post by Quin »

People are calzones.
ImageImageImageImage
nutella
Connoisseur of Spice

Post by nutella »

people are topologically pants
to the spoiler go the victories:
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image ImageImage Image Image Image
Image Image Image Image
Image Image Image Image Image
Image Image
JaggedJimmyJay
The Brassiere of The Syndicate
Preferred Pronouns: He/him/his/himself
Aka: Jay | JJJ | J3 | 3J | jagged | Jimmy | KOFM

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

For dinner last night, I was very lazy and only had some weird food bits lying around. I spread peanut butter over a flour tortilla and ate it.

Sandwich?
Overall: 73-57 (.56) | Town 49-41 (.54) | Mafia 18-11 (.62) | Independent 6-4 (.60)

The Syndicate: Town 23-26; Mafia 10-5; Indy 5-1 | RateYourMusic: Town 14-13; Mafia 5-4; Indy 0-3 | Mafia Universe: Town 6-0; Mafia 1-0 | Student Doctor Network: Town 2-1; Mafia 1-0 | HeroClixRealms: Town 1-0; Mafia 0-1 | Bulbagarden: Mafia 0-1; Indy 1-0 | 2+2 POG: Town 1-0 | Naruto Forums: Town 0-1 | Personality Café: Town 1-0 | Vendetta Strada: Town 0-1 | Mafia451: Town 1-0 | Wintreath: Mafia 1-0

Awards:

The Syndicate

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Student Doctor Network

ImageImageImageImageImage

Rate Your Music

Best Townie, Maffies 4, 8 and 9
Best Scum, Maffies 3
Best Moderator, Maffies 8 and 9
Most Valuable Player, Maffies 7 and 9
Best Roleplay, Maffies 4 and 6
Spirit Award, Maffies 9
Hall of Fame inductee, Maffies 4

Mafia Universe

Mafia Championship Finalist, 2015 and 2020
Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage[-Mass Effect Mafia banner-]ImageImageImageImage
juliets
Dancing Pancake

Post by juliets »

JaggedJimmyJay wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:25 am For dinner last night, I was very lazy and only had some weird food bits lying around. I spread peanut butter over a flour tortilla and ate it.

Sandwich?
I actually recently read an article that said a sandwich - not ice cream sandwich or any other non-conventional sandwich - must have two pieces of bread so I rest my case.

ImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
Sloonei
Cap'n Sloonbeard

Post by Sloonei »

juliets wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 11:00 am
JaggedJimmyJay wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:25 am For dinner last night, I was very lazy and only had some weird food bits lying around. I spread peanut butter over a flour tortilla and ate it.

Sandwich?
I actually recently read an article that said a sandwich - not ice cream sandwich or any other non-conventional sandwich - must have two pieces of bread so I rest my case.
What were the author’s sandwich credentials?
My banners:
ImageImageImageImage
speedchuck
Knight of No Renown

Post by speedchuck »

Sandwich?
Did you fold the tortilla?

If not, then it was not a sandwich, because there was not something ensconced within something.

However, if you did not fold it, it was a pizza. And a salad. (all pizzas are salads, but not all salads are pizzas.)
SIGNATURE:
Speedchuck wins the "Jack Torrance Has Always Been The Caretaker" award.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImage
juliets
Dancing Pancake

Post by juliets »

Sloonei wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 1:03 pm
juliets wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 11:00 am

Sandwich?
What were the author’s sandwich credentials?
Doctor of Sandwich Etymology

ImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
Quin
Indecent Bastard

Post by Quin »

speedchuck wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 1:29 pm (all pizzas are salads, but not all salads are pizzas.)
excuse me?
ImageImageImageImage
Epignosis
Skeletor

Post by Epignosis »

How about you group of geniuses go to your local delicatessens and round us up some mafia players, huh?
speedchuck
Knight of No Renown

Post by speedchuck »

Quin wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 8:24 pm
speedchuck wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 1:29 pm (all pizzas are salads, but not all salads are pizzas.)
excuse me?
You heard me
SIGNATURE:
Speedchuck wins the "Jack Torrance Has Always Been The Caretaker" award.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImage
indiglo
Money Launderer
Posts in topic: 1

Post by indiglo »

I am very disappointed in this thread.

I was expecting to see respectable sandwiches, dressed in suits and ties and stunning pant suits, standing behind podiums debating current events, political matters, hot topics, or at the very least pop culture. :suspish:
Epignosis wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 3:10 pm Really, this is all just a glamorous game- nothing more.

XOXO Epi Girl
juliets
Dancing Pancake

Post by juliets »

indiglo wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2019 10:06 pm I am very disappointed in this thread.

I was expecting to see respectable sandwiches, dressed in suits and ties and stunning pant suits, standing behind podiums debating current events, political matters, hot topics, or at the very least pop culture. :suspish:
Hahahaha, Indi this thread began because of an all out war we had in discord about what constitutes a sandwich. I've never laughed so hard!

ImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum
Posts in topic: 1
Preferred Pronouns: any/all
Aka: Tangy

Post by Tangrowth »

Structural Neutral / Ingredient Rebel is the only right option.

Return to “The Speakeasy”