Random~

Kick back and relax by discussing anything unrelated to mafia at The Syndicate's Speakeasy.

Moderator: Community Team

Epignosis
Skeletor
Posts in topic: 393

Re: Random~

Post by Epignosis »

The pastor did the speaking, although had anybody asked beforehand to speak, I am sure he or she would have been welcome to do so. Memorial services here are rather diverse.
Stream my music for free: https://epignosis.bandcamp.com/
S~V~S
Captain Obvious
Posts in topic: 185

Post by S~V~S »

It sounds to me like it was a service SHE would have liked, and that is very special.
Skip softly, my moonbeams, for I have heard tell
That the stairs up to heaven lead straight down to hell
Golden
The Coward
Posts in topic: 103

Post by Golden »

Rob's heartfelt posts were very timely for me. I have an aunty who I'm very close to on the way out due to cancer and this morning she told my mother (who has turned into one of her closest friends) that she couldn't talk any more and it was their last conversation. It's heart breaking for me. She is a special woman - strong-willed, loving, a true force of nature. She could command a room when she walked into it. She's also a natural fighter, and so she has lived nearly two and a half years after being told she would have trouble getting to six months.

But now it's clear she isn't going to last the week - perhaps not the day. It's really meaningful to hear someone as good with words as Rob is say what he said, at just the right time. While his words speak for him and him alone, his heart speaks for many more.

Thanks Rob :hugs:
Spoiler: show
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Canucklehead wrote:Civ Golden is a hurricane of self-assurance.
G-Man wrote: Coward
Golden
The Coward

Post by Golden »

We went back to our old house for the last time tonight. Cleaned out the last of our stuff, did a final clean... it was the last day of our notice. I was feeling a little sad, even though a house is an inanimate object, I've really enjoyed living there and I will miss it.

It was while we were there that my aunt finally passed away. It's funny how sometimes life folds and reflects in on itself. Experiences intertwine and become forever linked.

There's one plane that flies out if Wellington three times a week. We have a chronically short runway so it's the only truly big plane we get, and it has the most wonderful sound. I always loved listening to it out on our patio, as we had a clear line of sight and sound to the airport. The plane took off ten minutes after my aunt died. It was such a beautiful experience just listening to that sound for the last time... I won't hear it at the new place.
Ricochet
Uomini D'onore (Man of Honor)
Posts in topic: 132

Post by Ricochet »

Dragon D. Luffy
The Pirate
Posts in topic: 70
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by Dragon D. Luffy »

It's back! :fist:
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum
Posts in topic: 197
Preferred Pronouns: any/all
Aka: Tangy

Post by Tangrowth »

Hey everyone! :yay:

I cannot express how happy I am that the site is back. I also just want to emphasize that, due to working crazy hours and having no relevant knowledge whatsoever, I did absolutely nothing to accomplish this. Daisy and Sokoth were working constantly with every bit of their free time to battle every incoming issue and spearheading the charge. I also want to acknowledge the incredible assistance of Tranq and especially Makaze, whose very generous help was exactly what we needed to get things running again. We absolutely wouldn't be here again without any of them, so be sure to join me in telling them thanks so much for the help!

And it's good to be around you all again. Understatement of the year.

Over the past month I definitely have missed having this place in my life, despite the fact that I've just had one of the busiest months of my entire life so often it didn't have much time to register. The work onslaught shows no signs of letting up since in addition to networking, dissertation, other projects, and everything else I start teaching a 5-week class (for the first time at that) on Tuesday, so mafia is a no-go for quite some time, but I'm happy that now I can talk OT/music/whatever with you folks and hop in the discord whenever I have time. So rest assured you'll see my screenname pop in here from time to time, as much as I can afford for now, and just know that I really miss being more involved around here. Hopefully I'll get to talk to you all again soon. :D
DharmaHelper
Capo Regime (Street Boss)
Posts in topic: 77

Post by DharmaHelper »

I think I'm sort of in a weird place where I'm only playing LMS games and only up until I win one? Maybe?
our Linkitis is our lives.

ImageImage
ImageImage
DharmaHelper

Post by DharmaHelper »

MovingPictures07 wrote: Sat May 27, 2017 9:46 am Hey everyone! :yay:

I cannot express how happy I am that the site is back. I also just want to emphasize that, due to working crazy hours and having no relevant knowledge whatsoever, I did absolutely nothing to accomplish this. Daisy and Sokoth were working constantly with every bit of their free time to battle every incoming issue and spearheading the charge. I also want to acknowledge the incredible assistance of Tranq and especially Makaze, whose very generous help was exactly what we needed to get things running again. We absolutely wouldn't be here again without any of them, so be sure to join me in telling them thanks so much for the help!

And it's good to be around you all again. Understatement of the year.

Over the past month I definitely have missed having this place in my life, despite the fact that I've just had one of the busiest months of my entire life so often it didn't have much time to register. The work onslaught shows no signs of letting up since in addition to networking, dissertation, other projects, and everything else I start teaching a 5-week class (for the first time at that) on Tuesday, so mafia is a no-go for quite some time, but I'm happy that now I can talk OT/music/whatever with you folks and hop in the discord whenever I have time. So rest assured you'll see my screenname pop in here from time to time, as much as I can afford for now, and just know that I really miss being more involved around here. Hopefully I'll get to talk to you all again soon. :D
Glad to be back man. Also:

A) Keep offline backups
B) Update in increments
C) Get a test site

ImageImage
ImageImage
Ricochet
Uomini D'onore (Man of Honor)
Posts in topic: 132

Post by Ricochet »

DharmaHelper wrote: Sat May 27, 2017 2:31 pm I think I'm sort of in a weird place where I'm only playing LMS games and only up until I win one? Maybe?
25 years from now, you'll get to win one just because the others will finally let you.
DharmaHelper

Post by DharmaHelper »

Ricochet wrote: Sat May 27, 2017 2:45 pm
DharmaHelper wrote: Sat May 27, 2017 2:31 pm I think I'm sort of in a weird place where I'm only playing LMS games and only up until I win one? Maybe?
25 years from now, you'll get to win one just because the others will finally let you.
It'll be fucking worth it, too. :haha:

ImageImage
ImageImage
Golden
The Coward

Post by Golden »

I just got headhunted for a job that I think I'd really enjoy and that will be a step up in seniority.

It's still in the public sector, so that means that getting the job is no sure thing - it has to be openly advertised and there will be a full selection panel. But being headhunted by the CLO (L = legal) is a leg up to that in that there's already trust there and so someone else needs to show something more important than that.

I won't say more for now, other than to say I'm excited enough to post here. It will probably mean less time, more responsibility, but I guess this is real life.
nutella
Connoisseur of Spice
Posts in topic: 61
Preferred Pronouns: she/her/hers

Post by nutella »

So for our friends' cookout we tried to do this watermelon grill thing that we saw in a Tasty video:

Turned out alright, but it was messy and frustrating and we couldn't really get it to stand on the legs. But it was fun. I'm proud of the rainbow skewers at least.
to the spoiler go the victories:
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image ImageImage Image Image Image
Image Image Image Image
Image Image Image Image Image
Image Image
S~V~S
Captain Obvious

Post by S~V~S »

Yo bitches.
S~V~S
Captain Obvious

Post by S~V~S »

Ok Folks, us admins got together and got to bitching and decided that it was time to retire the Politics thread for a while. So we did that. We did not delete it, we just moved it so all of your insults (and mine, lol, no false self images here) are saved for posterity. And maybe for future us. But we were all just a bit over it at this time, so there you go.

*Waits for PMs from DH*

Carry on being random :noble:
Dragon D. Luffy
The Pirate

Did they just delete the politics thread?

Edit: should have read the above post first.

Well back to NF Cafe.
S~V~S
Captain Obvious

Post by S~V~S »

We hid it for now. It might be back. It might not.

Opinions are opinions, not facts. They can't be proved or disproved, but gosh, do people love trying, amirite? There are whole swaths of my family with whom I only discuss weddings, babies and funerals. Less hurt that way.
juliets
Dancing Pancake
Posts in topic: 174
Aka: jules

Post by juliets »

Frankly, though I was an advocate of the politics thread at one time I had grown tired of it. Too much opinion presented as fact as S~V~S says, including me. Plus, I really hated to see people argue with each other on this site. I would prefer all the arguing take place in games only.
JaggedJimmyJay wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 3:24 pm Always good to remember that there is no such thing as a Mafia circumstance that is worth real human emotion. Sometimes it will naturally come out, but it can be contained if we just remember that this is a game on a message board forum that 99.99% of the population of the Earth has never heard of before. No matter how successful anyone is, it means just about nothing.

ImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
Dragon D. Luffy
The Pirate

Imo every opinion is a fact that humanity has a limited knowledge of.

And one way to reach that knowledge is to argue it.
S~V~S
Captain Obvious

Post by S~V~S »

Some people are better at arguing than others.

We made the decision we made because there has been hurt (and this is over the course of the thread, not just recently) and you can, and should, feel free to discuss what you will via PM.
Dragon D. Luffy
The Pirate

I'm not complaining. I respect your decision.
S~V~S
Captain Obvious

Post by S~V~S »

Dom
mayor of gaytown
Posts in topic: 24

Post by Dom »

S~V~S wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2017 7:14 pmYo bitches.
yo :)
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
JaggedJimmyJay
The Brassiere of The Syndicate
Posts in topic: 35
Preferred Pronouns: He/him/his/himself
Aka: Jay | JJJ | J3 | 3J | jagged | Jimmy | KOFM

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

I just want to ensure people know that when I click "no" in every sign-up thread, it's not because I hate your game. I just can't commit to Mafia right now, and that'll probably hold true for a while.
Overall: 73-57 (.56) | Town 49-41 (.54) | Mafia 18-11 (.62) | Independent 6-4 (.60)

The Syndicate: Town 23-26; Mafia 10-5; Indy 5-1 | RateYourMusic: Town 14-13; Mafia 5-4; Indy 0-3 | Mafia Universe: Town 6-0; Mafia 1-0 | Student Doctor Network: Town 2-1; Mafia 1-0 | HeroClixRealms: Town 1-0; Mafia 0-1 | Bulbagarden: Mafia 0-1; Indy 1-0 | 2+2 POG: Town 1-0 | Naruto Forums: Town 0-1 | Personality Café: Town 1-0 | Vendetta Strada: Town 0-1 | Mafia451: Town 1-0 | Wintreath: Mafia 1-0

Awards:

The Syndicate

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Student Doctor Network

ImageImageImageImageImage

Rate Your Music

Best Townie, Maffies 4, 8 and 9
Best Scum, Maffies 3
Best Moderator, Maffies 8 and 9
Most Valuable Player, Maffies 7 and 9
Best Roleplay, Maffies 4 and 6
Spirit Award, Maffies 9
Hall of Fame inductee, Maffies 4

Mafia Universe

Mafia Championship Finalist, 2015 and 2020
Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage[-Mass Effect Mafia banner-]ImageImageImageImage
speedchuck
Knight of No Renown
Posts in topic: 15

Post by speedchuck »

JaggedJimmyJay wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2017 5:13 pm I just want to ensure people know that when I click "no" in every sign-up thread, it's not because I hate your game. I just can't commit to Mafia right now, and that'll probably hold true for a while.
This is one of those "It's not you, it's me" posts. Everyone knows how you really feel. You don't have to sugarcoat it. You just don't want to play in the games because I'm always on the "Yes" option.

I kid. Whatever you're busy with, I hope it's fulfilling and/or worthwhile! :beer:
SIGNATURE:
Speedchuck wins the "Jack Torrance Has Always Been The Caretaker" award.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImage
Epignosis
Skeletor

Post by Epignosis »

Eloh took the children to Vacation Bible School. For those who don't know, that's church all week for kids.

This is what happened.

Teacher: Who knows what "prophecy" is?

Abigail: That's like when you buy a house. That's your prophecy.

Later...

Teacher: Who knows what "healing" is?

Simon: It's what a cleric does with magic!

:grin:
speedchuck
Knight of No Renown
Posts in topic: 15

Post by speedchuck »

Epignosis wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:48 pm Teacher: Who knows what "healing" is?

Simon: It's what a cleric does with magic!
Simon has his head squarely on his shoulders. He'll make a great oracle one day.
SIGNATURE:
Speedchuck wins the "Jack Torrance Has Always Been The Caretaker" award.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImage
JaggedJimmyJay

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

Simon understands. I remember once in grade school when a teacher asked the class if anyone knew what alchemy is. I excitedly raised my hand and answered that it was the art of potion-making.

The teacher gave me an awkward look and at least one other kid snickered. :|
Overall: 73-57 (.56) | Town 49-41 (.54) | Mafia 18-11 (.62) | Independent 6-4 (.60)

The Syndicate: Town 23-26; Mafia 10-5; Indy 5-1 | RateYourMusic: Town 14-13; Mafia 5-4; Indy 0-3 | Mafia Universe: Town 6-0; Mafia 1-0 | Student Doctor Network: Town 2-1; Mafia 1-0 | HeroClixRealms: Town 1-0; Mafia 0-1 | Bulbagarden: Mafia 0-1; Indy 1-0 | 2+2 POG: Town 1-0 | Naruto Forums: Town 0-1 | Personality Café: Town 1-0 | Vendetta Strada: Town 0-1 | Mafia451: Town 1-0 | Wintreath: Mafia 1-0

Awards:

The Syndicate

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Student Doctor Network

Rate Your Music

Best Scum, Maffies 3
Spirit Award, Maffies 9

Mafia Universe

Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage[-Mass Effect Mafia banner-]ImageImageImageImage
Spacedaisy
Spectral Enchantress
Posts in topic: 44

Post by Spacedaisy »

You know how your iPhone suggests three possible words you mean or might want next as you type? My fat fingers tend to accidentally hit those words while I am trying to type, resulting in some of the most confusing and hysterical gibberish ever read.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
Cryptonic
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Cryptonic »

Hey everyone :D

Just back after long break from Mafia. How is everyone?
Liking the new look!
Spacedaisy
Spectral Enchantress

Post by Spacedaisy »

Cryptonic wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2017 12:04 pm Hey everyone :D

Just back after long break from Mafia. How is everyone?
Liking the new look!
Welcome back!!! :omg:
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
Cryptonic

Post by Cryptonic »

Spacedaisy wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2017 12:18 pm Welcome back!!! :omg:
Thanks! Life has been really busy, new baby and such (not sure last time I was on here).
I temporarily quit my home site, and it basically died in my absence. Not because I was gone, just while I was gone. I'll have to see if I have time in the next while to sign for a game :) Been trying to play Narrator Mafia a little, but the crowd is so small that it's hard to organize a game on it.

Plus, I miss the intricacies of longform Mafia ♥
Spacedaisy
Spectral Enchantress

Post by Spacedaisy »

What's Naraator Mafia? And where was your home site?
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
Cryptonic

Post by Cryptonic »

Spacedaisy wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2017 12:41 pm What's Naraator Mafia? And where was your home site?
Oh, Narrator is just a browser form of Mafia (kind of like ToS, but more similar to Forum Mafia's ability to be customized). I posted about it like a year ago, but it was pretty alpha then so probably didn't get much use.

My home site was Sc2Mafia, which is the forums for the StarCraft II Arcade map for Mafia. But, as Sc2's player base dwindles, so does the Forum's.
Epignosis
Skeletor

Post by Epignosis »

Congrats on the new kiddo.
Cryptonic

Post by Cryptonic »

Epignosis wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2017 12:50 pm Congrats on the new kiddo.
Thanks :) She's the second, so definitely a lot more work with an insane toddler already running around.
Spacedaisy
Spectral Enchantress

Post by Spacedaisy »

Cryptonic wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2017 12:49 pm
Spacedaisy wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2017 12:41 pm What's Naraator Mafia? And where was your home site?
Oh, Narrator is just a browser form of Mafia (kind of like ToS, but more similar to Forum Mafia's ability to be customized). I posted about it like a year ago, but it was pretty alpha then so probably didn't get much use.

My home site was Sc2Mafia, which is the forums for the StarCraft II Arcade map for Mafia. But, as Sc2's player base dwindles, so does the Forum's.
G-Man's Chicka, Chicka, 1, 2, 3 game is in sign ups and it should be an intriguing concept game. :)
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
juliets
Dancing Pancake

Post by juliets »

So, today, my death-defying husband gave away my car. Thats right, he gave it to my niece if she wants to come get it. We had planned to buy a new car but the idea was we would trade this one in or sell it separately. I think his illness has affected his brain.
JaggedJimmyJay wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 3:24 pm Always good to remember that there is no such thing as a Mafia circumstance that is worth real human emotion. Sometimes it will naturally come out, but it can be contained if we just remember that this is a game on a message board forum that 99.99% of the population of the Earth has never heard of before. No matter how successful anyone is, it means just about nothing.

ImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
Quin
Indecent Bastard
Posts in topic: 26

Post by Quin »

juliets wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2017 5:44 pm So, today, my death-defying husband gave away my car. Thats right, he gave it to my niece if she wants to come get it. We had planned to buy a new car but the idea was we would trade this one in or sell it separately. I think his illness has affected his brain.
Oh no. Have you talked to him about it? :(
Lunalee wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 9:13 amQuin's ISO is full of posts that are actually trying to be helpful to the game. This doesn't look like town Quin.
ImageImageImageImage
juliets
Dancing Pancake

Post by juliets »

Quin wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2017 7:44 pm
juliets wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2017 5:44 pm So, today, my death-defying husband gave away my car. Thats right, he gave it to my niece if she wants to come get it. We had planned to buy a new car but the idea was we would trade this one in or sell it separately. I think his illness has affected his brain.
Oh no. Have you talked to him about it? :(
I did but he's in this mood, probably because he had a low probability of survival and survived anyway, of showing appreciation to people he cares for. I'm all for that but we really don't have money to burn. Plus I have no idea how we are going to get the car to her in Georgia. Hope she's willing to fly down and drive it back cause we can't drive it up there. I did try to impress on him that I would never give away $2000 worth of assets without consulting him first and he should show me the same courtesy.

ImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
Epignosis
Skeletor

Post by Epignosis »

Eloh is downstairs having a consultation with a customer who wants to get her son a "titty cake" for his 21st.
juliets
Dancing Pancake

Post by juliets »

Epignosis wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2017 3:22 pm Eloh is downstairs having a consultation with a customer who wants to get her son a "titty cake" for his 21st.
O wow. Is she going to do it? And a mom wants to get it for her son? That seems a little...odd.

ImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
Epignosis
Skeletor

Post by Epignosis »

juliets wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2017 3:56 pm
Epignosis wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2017 3:22 pm Eloh is downstairs having a consultation with a customer who wants to get her son a "titty cake" for his 21st.
O wow. Is she going to do it? And a mom wants to get it for her son? That seems a little...odd.
Yep. It was a thing to hear.
DharmaHelper

Post by DharmaHelper »

Epignosis wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2017 3:58 pm
juliets wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2017 3:56 pm
Yep. It was a thing to hear.
'

Gotta get that titty jiggle just right.

ImageImage
ImageImage
juliets
Dancing Pancake

Post by juliets »

Anybody here who lives in the states ever done a power of attorney? If so, did you use legal zoom or an attorney or something else?

ImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
Golden
The Coward

Post by Golden »

Jay passed the Turing test.
JaggedJimmyJay

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

There is a Mafia game happening on the website rateyourmusic.com. :eek:

Link -- please don't post in the thread without first getting permission from the moderator (host) MrMungbean.

[mention]Sloonei[/mention]
[mention]MacDougall[/mention]

Awards:

The Syndicate

Student Doctor Network

Rate Your Music

Best Scum, Maffies 3
Spirit Award, Maffies 9

Mafia Universe

Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

JaggedJimmyJay

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

Golden wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2017 1:38 am Jay passed the Turing test.
I was built only by the most qualified engineers.

Awards:

The Syndicate

Student Doctor Network

Rate Your Music

Best Scum, Maffies 3
Spirit Award, Maffies 9

Mafia Universe

Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

Spacedaisy
Spectral Enchantress

Post by Spacedaisy »

:omg: I finally was able to get the header banner up! It was a collaborative work between [mention]Long Con[/mention] and I. Frankly, he made it amazing so I want to thank him for his work!
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
Golden
The Coward

Post by Golden »

That was the coolest thing today, to come on to the site and see the header! Awesome!

Return to “The Speakeasy”