Interrogation Room - alexa

Are you new to The Syndicate's mafia crime family? If so, introduce yourself here! For all Syndicateers, this is the place to get to know your fellow family members.

Moderator: Community Team

timmer
Racketeer
Posts in topic: 10

Re: Interrogation Room

Post by timmer »

My siggie.
Mongoose
Your Neighborhood Friendly Mongoose
Posts in topic: 129
Preferred Pronouns: She/her/hers
Aka: Alison

Post by Mongoose »

thellama73 wrote:SpaceDaisy has abdicated her position as chief interrogator, and now I have all the power. I repeat: I. Have. All. The. Power.

Go interrogate timmer now. He has been asking for it.
Lies. If you really had the power, wouldn't you have selected yourself first?
Spoiler: show
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImage
thellama73
Supatown
Posts in topic: 132

Post by thellama73 »

Mongoose wrote:
thellama73 wrote:SpaceDaisy has abdicated her position as chief interrogator, and now I have all the power. I repeat: I. Have. All. The. Power.

Don't question what I choose to do with my power. With great power comes great responsibility.
Epignosis wrote:If llama is good, it means we exist in a universe in which multitasking llama can call out the first of two mafia while simultaneously calling out two civilians.

I don't want to live in that universe.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Mongoose

Post by Mongoose »

So testy. If you really do have the power, then please appoint yourself next week, because I have 162 Questions for you still.

TIMMER

How did you meet your wife?

How did you get into films?

What's your favorite film festival?
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImage
timmer
Racketeer

Post by timmer »

Mongoose wrote:So testy. If you really do have the power, then please appoint yourself next week, because I have 162 Questions for you still.

TIMMER

How did you meet your wife?

How did you get into films?

What's your favorite film festival?
We were one of the original Internet couples :hug: We met in a Canada chatroom back in the AOL days, and I'm talking AOL 1.0 in 1995. We lived at opposite ends of Canada and started chatting because we both had Tom Waits nicknames (Heartattack&Vine for me, Briar&TheRose for her). If it wasn't for Tom Waits, my kids wouldn't exist, lol.

I got into movies by accident, sort of. A friend had started playing the Hollywood Stock Exchange, and I joined, which somehow led me to go to see movies even though its really not needed for the game. I ended up writing film reviews which wereshit, and then eventually some that werent, and then became one of the original members of the online film critic society (though I keft them years ago). Now I'm honored to be a member of the International Cinephile Society :)

Vancouver is the festival I go to each year, but I find the best films always come from Berlin or Cannes.
My siggie.
bea
Racketeer
Posts in topic: 184
Preferred Pronouns: She/her
Aka: Some call me.....Jen. But most call me Bea.

Post by bea »

Lizzy wrote:<3 and I have been outhugged :overreact:

1. What is your earliest memory?
2. What did you buy with your first paycheck?
3. What is your guilty pleasure?
4. Nicknames :D
5. What's the last thing you googled?
6. What would you like to get for your birthday? (you're welcome, BDH)
7. Favourite black tea, green tea and herbal.
8. Best Disney animation.
9. Favourite quote from a movie/song lyric(s)
10. :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: I win :|
1) My earliest memory is crawling on my great grandmother's lap with Green Eggs and Ham to make her read it to me. I was pre-literate then. Like 3 or 4. I was at that point in my literacy development where I had to hear the same story over and over and over again. (Once you memorize the story you start associating the letters and words to what people are saying.) - She was always the first person I went to. Then after I crawled off her lap - every other person in the livingroom HAD TO TAKE THEIR TURN READING MY STORY!!

2) I don't remember? It's been so long ago. I was very involved in Marching Band in HS. My parents couldn't afford many of the fees associated with it. I'm pretty sure it paid for uniform fees or band camp or something of that nature.

3) I have so many.... ;) I mean I live in the land of decidence and guilty pleasure. I'm all about the too bad for you food, the too bad for you booze the too bad for you well...you get the drift... But yes, I also have things I guess I would be embarassed for people to know about me. There was a time when I watched Days of Our Lives pretty religiously. (Not even joking here - I grew up with it - it was the soap my mom watched and the soap my grandma watched. My grandmother referred to it as "church time" growing up because we had best better behave like we were at mass when it was on.) Also - I like the music of Smashmouth and No Doubt. (like not that "holla back" stuff - I don't even get that. But smashmouth was just good fun and Gwen has a very awesome voice.)

4) Nickname = Bea. ;) My given name is Jennifer Jo. So - I've been Jen and Jenny. My sister and one friend from college both used to refer to me as JJ. I had a friend in college that only called people by their live journal name so I was Georgie to him forever (I was Georgeanne there - it was ironically one of the few places on line that I was not Beatrice828 or some form of it.) But yea, now - My nick name is pretty much Bea. I've met more than one of you IRL and have talked to many more on the phone. IDC if you call me Jen or Bea. I'm ok with Bea. I think of it as the name *I* chose. My newest favorite nickname is Mrs. Simpson though. I really need to get to SS office sometime soon to make that all legal and stuffs.

5) I think pictures of David Tennant. ;) Normally my googling is used as my "easy way to spell check something." so if it wasn't that - it was how to spell some food term like salt*checksgoogle*imbocca. :p

6) This year? I don't know. (BDH - he's got a pretty great list. He was lucky to marry a foodie. I'm usually happy with any new toy I think I need for the kitchen. We were just remarking the other day how it's funny that *that's* the room of the house we outgrew.) My Warther Knives http://www.warthers.com/ have been on my wish list since I was a little girl. (Also - that place is where I grew up. :) )

7) Black tea: Earl Grey Herbal: I like the raspberry and blueberry teas. Peppermint is awesome too. Green: I've not had a lot of experience with.

8) You're going to laugh at this, but I don't care. My favorite Disney movie is Marry Poppins. So for me it has the best animation. Also - it was light years ahead of it's time in terms of combining animation with live action. The bit where Gene Kelly dances with Jerry mouse is also an amazing example of combining live action with animation but off the top of my head, I can't remember if Tom and Jerry was Disney or Warner Brothers. I'm thinking it was Warner though. ;) (When I was a newly crowned auntie and carting my baby nephew like *everywhere* with me when his parents needed a sitter - my bbf male version made the half snide remark "Auntie Jenny: Practically Perfect In Every Way." - it's still one of my top 5 favorite complements of all time.)

9) "I was born to speak all mirth and no matter." Shakespeare - Much Ado About Nothing. Before that quote became my standard quote - it was "And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make." - The Beatles. One of my favorite movie quotes of all time though is "Pain heals, chicks dig scars and glory lasts forever" - The Replacements.

10) :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: Who wins? Lets call it a draw. :D ;)
I was born to speak all mirth and no matter.... :wine:
Epignosis wrote:Bitch, my identity is my identity theft protection!
bea
Racketeer

Post by bea »

Mongoose wrote:Did you watch the Oscars?

Favorite time your car ever broke down?

Favorite teachable moment as a teacher?
1) I missed the Oscars this year. I usually miss them, but I'm usually faster at catching up on what I missed than I have been this year. Yes flog me with a noodle. :(

2) Cars breaking down sucks. But if it has to happen, I'm happy it happened in the middle of no fracking where - with BDH and Daisy and Sockface. I'd never seen desert stars before. I've lived most of my life looking up at night. I lived in the country where you can see many more stars because the city lights aren't around. But all that flat land? With no city lights? A MAZ ING. I only really wish that Daisy and Socky took me up on my offer to get out of the car for a minute to look from horizion to horizion and see all the stars. It was breathtaking. I couldn't quit looking up the sun window and out the windows for more of it. As aweful as the tow truck driver was, as crappy as the walk was from the garage to the wal-mart which was LITERALLY the only thing open after 8 pm in that town. As sucky as it was trying to find someone to make the 3 hour drive down to where we were to pick us up was. My most favorite memory of their whole trip is sitting in wal-mart - teaching BDH to play Euchre. He still thinks we're completely crazy and he so doesn't get the "in the barn" stuffs. - but yea. That was AWESOME.

3) My biggest success was teaching summer school after my first year teaching. I didn't *want* to teach summer school, but a kid who had been resistant to me at the beginning of the year, well...I grew on him. And he needed to pass 9th grade English to graduate as a Senior the next year. I KNEW I needed to take the summer off, that I really shouldn't take on summer school my first year in, but he said "You're the only English teacher I can pass this class with." The kid was working a job opposite hours of when our classes was too. So really - during summer school - I was mostly just trying to keep him awake. He was my teaching victory. He was the one who wanted to hate me sight unseen and by the start of the next year he was my student aid - keeping all my kids in line for me and the teacher that had him in the first English 9 class? That flunked him? Had him again as a Senior. She came to me and said "I don't know what you did to this kid, but he's a whole new kid." He was one of her top students. All I did to him was treat him with respect and listen to him. *shrug* - That's not even my most favorite teachable moment. (though I know when that one was with that kid. I KNOW when I turned his corner.) - it was the other kid I had in summer school.

Summer school had no curriculum. Had no books. I was a first year teacher. So I picked my library for an asston of paperbacks. And I had GREAT ones laying around. For all kinds of reading ranges too. Decent literature no one could say you shouldn't teach. :D

One of these kids, and while I remember the name of the kid that I taught the class for, I'm sad to say, I don't remember this kid's name - was all "I hate reading." Like the last book he read was waaaaaaaaay below grade level and he read it when he was at that grade level. But he was kinda edgy in his punky dress and attitude so I handed him Brave New World and said "Here - try this one. It's about a society that practices the ideas of "have sex with whomever you want and do all the drugs you'd like."

And he read it. He really read it. And I KNEW he was really reading it when half way through the book he looked up at me and said "You tricked me!!!! But now I can't quit reading it!" My response was "Yes. Yes. I tricked you. And aren't you glad I did?" I was never more proud to be a teacher. For all I know, that's the highest form of literature he was ever exposed to. It may be the one and only time he ever got some Shakespeare even if he didn't know how much of it he was getting.
bea
Racketeer

Post by bea »

Mongoose wrote:

I concur with Goosey. :noble:
bea
Racketeer

Post by bea »

timmer wrote:Image
1) Favorite Harry Potter Character and why? Favorite Harry Potter book and why? (sorry - your gif made me have to ask that.)
2) I love the story about how you and your wife got together. Heartattack and Vine is my second favorite Tom album - Heart of Saturday Night holds a special special place in my soul) What's your favorite Tom Song?
3) What other music do you enjoy?
4) What did you want to be when you grew up at age 10? At age 18?
5) What do you currently do for a living? Is it what you thought it would be?
6) If you could have any other job besides the one you have now, what would it be?
7) What is the best part of being a Dad? What's the worst part?
8) What is the best part of being a husband? What's the worst part?
9) What is your favorite comfort food?
10) Would you consider a family vacation to AZ? Because I'd love to meet you and your family. I'll even cook. I promise!
11) Favorite mafia role and why?
12) Favorite mafia game and why?
13) Where is that FUCKING FLAG!!!????!!!!!
14) Do you prefer to have civ roles, baddie roles or indy roles?
15) If you hosted a mafia game, what would the theme be? Do you need a co-host? ;) :D
16) What is one thing no one ever asks you but you always wish someone would? And also what is the answer to that question?
bea
Racketeer

Post by bea »

addendum to number 14 - and why?
Hedgeowl
Money Launderer
Posts in topic: 23

Post by Hedgeowl »

Would your wife play mafia if it were a couples themed game? - new idea
Are there any themes up this year she would play?
What's your favorite state?
Favorite season?
Sport to watch? To play?
Favorite Canadian province?
What was your first mafia game?
Turnip Head wrote: We need to lynch Pennsylvania Bitch.
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
thellama73
Supatown

Post by thellama73 »

Hedgeowl wrote:Would your wife play mafia if it were a couples themed game? - new idea
Veto. Couples are horrible and should be killed.
Epignosis wrote:If llama is good, it means we exist in a universe in which multitasking llama can call out the first of two mafia while simultaneously calling out two civilians.

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
timmer
Racketeer

Post by timmer »

bea wrote:
1) Favorite Harry Potter Character and why? Favorite Harry Potter book and why? (sorry - your gif made me have to ask that.)
2) I love the story about how you and your wife got together. Heartattack and Vine is my second favorite Tom album - Heart of Saturday Night holds a special special place in my soul) What's your favorite Tom Song?
3) What other music do you enjoy?
4) What did you want to be when you grew up at age 10? At age 18?
5) What do you currently do for a living? Is it what you thought it would be?
6) If you could have any other job besides the one you have now, what would it be?
7) What is the best part of being a Dad? What's the worst part?
8) What is the best part of being a husband? What's the worst part?
9) What is your favorite comfort food?
10) Would you consider a family vacation to AZ? Because I'd love to meet you and your family. I'll even cook. I promise!
11) Favorite mafia role and why?
12) Favorite mafia game and why?
13) Where is that FUCKING FLAG!!!????!!!!!
14) Do you prefer to have civ roles, baddie roles or indy roles?
15) If you hosted a mafia game, what would the theme be? Do you need a co-host? ;) :D
16) What is one thing no one ever asks you but you always wish someone would? And also what is the answer to that question?
1. Bellatrix. I hadn't loved her that much in the books, but Helena Bonham Carter just turned her into something special, she's got such a manic, crazed energy. Favourite book was The Goblet of Fire because Cedric dying was sort of the start of the real darkness of the series.

2. Fave Tom Waits song is such a hard question, since there are so many types. But the basic answer, if I break him into "weird" and "not weird", I would say Step Right Up and Heart of Saturday Night. But last year's Hell broke Luce was his best song in over a decade.

3. I vary a lot. I use rateyourmusic.com to find bands I don't know, mostly. Through them, I've fallen in love with The National, TV on the Radio and Joanna Newsom in the last few years. But, I also love mindless dub step and Skrillex stuff :)

4/5. I had a microscope when I was 6 years old (still have it), but I didn't ever have a clue that I would enter into a job that would involve one. I never had any idea of what I wanted to be, but I failed Physics and aced biology, so one day our high school guidance counsellor saw me looking at the "career wall" full of pamphlets about different career ideas, and asked about my grades. When I mentioned the physics and bio marks, she said "here, medical laboratory technology, it's all chemistry/biology, no physics whatsoever". I shrugged, and enrolled that fall. I've been a lab technologist ever since. I spent 15 years working in chemistry and hematology, mostly on night shifts dealing with traumas. But 2 years ago I jumped into a microbiology position and haven't looked back since. Playing with superbugs is now my passion, if work can be said to have passion.

6. Uhm, rich person? If I was rich, I'd spent my life going to film fests around the world and meeting likeminded peeps. And a lot of Hawaii.

7. Best and worst are the same thing; whatever i do, my kids do!! So it's awesome, because I can turn them into the most upstanding citizens in town, ifI want to, they mimic everything I do. Worst, because if I spend a lot of time on the couch watching movies, guess what my kids want to do lol… they make me be better than I would be without them!

8. Having someone to share the world with, and who makes you want to be a better man, is the greatest thing in the world, even better than having kids. There isn't much of a downside, really, I suppose maybe being unable to spontaneously go off on your own sometimes when you need to? Sorry, I have no good answer for worst XD

9. Popcorn, naturally!

10. LOL Arizona is a fair ways off, and we were just there 5 years ago! But if we ever do swing through, we are TOTALLY meeting up :) And seeing a Cqrdinals game.

11. My favourite mafia role on THIS site was Zodac, easily. The task of having to get people to lynch me when I was safe and talk them out of it when I wasn't went on for DAYS, and it was one of my best performances ever. Best role ever, though, was in rabbit's Sword of Truth game at RM. I was one of the indy roles… I think the character was a witch named Six or Seven or something? I had all kinds of chaos-causing powers and I think just had to survive to win. So I played with maximum chaos in mind lol. I waited until one of the head baddies was about to be lynched and switched the lynch to someone else etc. just to fuck the game up. My downfall was running into LittleTiger, who was the OTHER indy, and she had more juice left in the tank than me, but fucking around is the best thing an indy can do! Screw this "win with the civs" shit.

12. LT's The Fey at RM was wonderful and had so many cool surprises, like a floating fairy appearing on the site that you had to see and click to get a prize. I always loved that one. Boo's Viral Video series is also a have, because so many times I've ended up as an indy in it with cool powers… Epig's inaugural MOTU game was epic as well!

13. OMG, that fucking flag. I remember downloading a program that would collate all of the images on a website to try to find it, GAWD that was annoying.

14. See #11. Indy ALL the way. Sadly, I've never been an SK, though. I've been lots of indies, just never an SK. Roles that turned INTO an SK, yes, but never from Day 1, I don't think.

15. I've hosted a few reverse mafia games at RM where you get to reveal your info, but I've never done a normal one. I'd love to, naturally, do a movie-based game. Silent Mafia would be sweet. I've never done a normal game, though, so I'd do better as a cohost before trying my one full-blown game so the real question is… do YOU need a cohost?

16. No one ever asks, because they wouldn't know to, about what it is like to live in a two-dimensional world. I'm stereo blind, which means my brain only uses one eyeball at a time, so I never get the three-dimensional sight you get when your brain combines the vision of both eyes. 90% of the time I see out of my right eye but if anything gets in the way of that eye my brain switches to the left one. It means my life is like what a TV show looks like: flat. No depth of field at all, with space between things implied only by logic. It's not horribly uncommon, but its never something anyone seems to talk about!
My siggie.
timmer
Racketeer

Post by timmer »

Hedgeowl wrote:Would your wife play mafia if it were a couples themed game? - new idea
Are there any themes up this year she would play?
What's your favorite state?
Favorite season?
Sport to watch? To play?
Favorite Canadian province?
What was your first mafia game?
1. I think she's too chicken at this time, but I know I'll get her hooked one day ;)

2. Not yet, no.

3. Favourite state is Washington. Seattle is my home away from home, if I could live in an American city it would be there, hands down. It's basically the mirror to Vancouver, in all of the best ways! Plus, we border Wash. here and drive to Spokane quite a bit, and the wine ain't bad, either :)

4. Summer. I love to feel like a baked potato just sucking up rays… I grew up in Montreal where the humidity would hit 100% in the summer and stay there, so I grw to love sweating in the heat.

5. The best sport to watch is the NFL, I'm a massive Patriots fan. I also love hockey and the Oilers, but they are never on TV here since I live closer to Canuckistan than to Edmonton. The only sports I play are taekwondo, in which I just broke my ring finger 2 days ago, and golf, which I kind of suck at but don't care. Golf is the perfect way to lose $40, plus another $20 on beer, plus $15 worth of golf balls in the bushes, plus any remaining pride.

6. My fave province is Quebec, it's like being in Europe. Montreal is such a party town and Quebec City is like being in Paris but without the filth. It's too bad about the uppity French snobbery there, because it's a wonderful place outside of that.

7. My first mafia game the way its played here was School Stuff at RM, I think? I can't remember who ran it, maybe Flyin' High? But I didn't really understand the rules and owed myself saying "I am the backpack!" which has been in my RM soggy ever since as a reminder not to info dump and out yourself lol. In reality, it took me two games to honestly understand the rules, as I also info dumped like crazy in my second game which was something computer based. I was a role checked and just started blurting out who was what role, it was horrible. But, BUT, it also was the game where I did one of the FUNNIEST outing jobs ever, where I knew I couldn't SAY the name of who I knew was bad, so instead I put up a link to a Bowie song in which he said "hey man…" over and over in the chorus to say that Hey Man was a baddie. It still gives me giggles thinking of it, but really, I kind of trashed two whole games while I figured my shit out. :eek:
My siggie.
thellama73
Supatown

Post by thellama73 »

Timmer's time has expired. You may now question:

ME

If you want to be next in the interrogation room or to nominate someone else, PM me at once.

Mongoose

Post by Mongoose »

1. Who is your favorite character on The Simpsons?
2. Who is your favorite character on south park?
3. When did SP jump the shark?
4. What sounds get on your nerves?
5. What is your favorite thing about ASS?
6. hardest subject in school?
7. What are your favorite ten beers, in order?
8. What made you get a Mac laptop?
9. Do you use ice in your soft drinks?
10. When was the last time you used a straw?
11. What is the worst thing you ever smelled?
12. What’s the grossest thing you’ve seen IRL?
13. Would you let me represent you in a court of law?
14. what is your favorite nickname for Canada?
15. What webcomics are you reading these days?
16. Favorite Bodehouse book?
17. Of your novels, which do you feel is the least best?
18. Why can’t you always agree with me?
19. Have you ever been in a dumpster?
20. What made you barf last?
21. What was the last thing you took a photo of?
22. Please place in order of preference: Pancakes, Waffles, French Toast, Crepes, Blintzes
23. How do you feel about Michael Bay?
24. What was the last DIY science experiment you did?
25. What is your favorite scar?
26. What is your favorite bakery in DC?
27. Favorite bakery iIn Atlanta?
28. Why won’t you go to Sticky Fingers?
29. When are you going to procure some RS albums (see what I did there?)
30. Have you ever walked out of a movie theatre and why? What was the film, and do you regret it?
31. Who is your favorite Greco-Roman god or goddess?
32. Who is your favorite Norse god?
33. Which Native American tribe (including those in present-day South America) do you feel most drawn towards?
34. Are you going to watch the Oscars this year?
35. What is your favorite Russian-language film?
36. Who was the band you last saw live?
37. Why do you never call me out on being bossy?
38. Who is your favorite celebrity judge?
39. What is the most exotic animal you’d consider having as a pet?
40. Where were you when they announced the OJ Simpson verdict? (I was in gym class)
41. What about when MJ died?
42. Last time you laughed?
43. Do you ever drink cider?
44. Do you wear an eye mask or ear plugs to bed?
45. What is the creepiest thing that ever bit you?
46. What made you get out of your goth phase?
47. A friendly dog comes up to you while you’re at the park. Do you pet it?
48. A feral cat is laying on your house stoop. Do you pet it?
49. There’s a snake in your bedroom. What do you do?
50. When was the last time you listened to NPR?
51. Which classic authors do you feel are overrated?
52. Food trend that is driving you nuts?
53. Expressions that you abhor?
54. Why always Lo Mein and never Chow Mein?
55. Brown rice, fried rice, white rice, egg noodles or rice noodles?
56. Do you find any boy bands to have talent?
57. Music from 1973 that you don’t like / hate?
58. What did you do with those leftover sugar-free gummy bears?
59. Do you eat the nuts offered at bars?
60. have you ever been to ab ar or speakeasy that requires a password?
61. What was your best birthday ever like?
62. Have you ever mistakenly walked into the girls’ restroom?
63. Who was the last person who made you mad? Was it Rachel Maddow?
64. Would you ever go to Antarctica?
65. What happened the last time you ate yogurt?
66. Did we have you eat Meat Tornado?
67. Will you please make an acrostic with your name?
68. Do you like your (real) middle name?
69. What is something you wish you had less fear of even though you are fearless?
70. Most number of flights of stairs you’ve ever climbed?
71. The most number of times you’ve ever seen a film and what was it? (Topsy Turvy?)
72. Have you ever baked a cake? Was it good?
73. Do you believe in past lives? If so, what do you think you did or who were you?
74. What is the best thing you’ve ever cooked?
75. In a crazy dystopian universe, where you could only eat one cheese for the rest of your life, what would you pick and why?
76. Your top ten favorite cheeses in order?
77. Have you ever accidentally fallen into water?
78. What happened the last time you were dehydrated?
79. Why haven’t you updated your webpage in a billion years?
80. Who would win a pogostick-off?
81. What is objectively the best temperature? For winter? For summer?
82. Have you ever stained a shirt so badly you had to throw it away?
83. Favorite fish? (ha)
84. Do you think it’s practically a vegetable?
85. Number of Mumblecore films you have seen?
86. What is something that you think I should know about you but you are pretty sure I don’t?
87. Have you ever tried cat food or treats?
88. Has you ice cream ever fallen off your cone?
89. Do you think Myrna Loy has been reincarnated in any modern-day actresses?
90. Is Neo-Noir worth your time?
91. Did I tell you about the dream I had where James and I fended off cannibalistic band of marauders using only baseball bats for you while you were passed out drunk? Then you ate cherry pie with my grandpa and asked why we were so sweaty.
92. What was the last dream you had?
93. Do you think you’ll ever accidentally join a cult?
94. Least favorite musical?
95. Favorite topping/flavor for popcorn?
96. Why haven’t you seen more Ingmar Bergman films?
97. Are you going to see the documentary about the late great Roger Ebert’s life called Life Itself?
98. How much does pester power REALLY work on you?
99. Why are you contrarian?
100. How long did it take you do to this?
101. How much would someone have to pay you for you to take an aromatherapy class?
102. Your leg gets broken in a freak meat-procuring accident. What do you do?
103. If it meant ensuring world peace for 100 years, would you attend a yoga class?
104. Favorite character in The Oddysey?
105. Favorite character in The Peanuts?
106. What is your favorite latin phrase?
107. Why don’t you eat breakfast on weekdays?
108. What’s the highest you’ve ever climbed in a tree?
109. How do you think evolution will improve humans in the next 1000s of years? Will we finally lose our appendix? Lose our flight or flight response? Lose sensitivity to grains?
110. What’s the smallest plane you’ve ever been on?
111. Have you been on a helicopter?
112. What was the most haunted place you’ve ever been to like?
113. Why are you drawn to the Occult?
114. Are we there yet?
115. Please put the following in order of your preference with 1 being the best. If you haven’t tried a selection, just mark it as 0
a. German Potato Salad
b. Greek Potato Salad
c. Russian Potato Salad
d. New York Potato Salad
e. Southern Potato Salad
116. Please put the following in order of your preference with 1 being the best. If you haven’t tried a selection, just mark it as 0
a. Honey BBQ Sauce
b. Spicy BBQ Sauce
c. Hickory BBQ Sauce
d. Mustard BBQ Sauce
e. Tangy (Vinegar-based) BBQ Sauce
f. White (Mayo-based) BBQ sauce
117. Who is your favorite female bassist? (Not counting anyone on this site that is female and plays bass).
118. Which is your favorite Olympic sport to not watch?
119. Do you think either of us could ever accidentally join a cult?
120. What is the best way to eat an Oreo?
121. Pipecleaner is sitting on your opera books. How do you feel about that? Don’t blame me, James let him get in the box.
122. Is facial hair ever wrong?
123. What’s the worst way you’ve ever spent a Friday night?
124. What’s the earliest you’ve ever woken up? (Not counting nights you stayed up all night).
125. Why don’t you wear more green?
126. the holy grail, the shroud of turin, the sword of peter, the cross of whomever, the ark of the covenant, Noah's Ark, Nicholas Flamel's philosopher's stone -- do you believe these exist?
bonus: Are we still friends? Hhah.
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImage
thellama73
Supatown

Post by thellama73 »

Let's take these ten at a time, since I don't have all day.
Mongoose wrote:1. Who is your favorite character on The Simpsons?

Milhouse.

2. Who is your favorite character on south park?

Jimbo and Ned. Why aren't they on anymore?

3. When did SP jump the shark?

The China Probrem, I think. That episode was terrible and set the stage for all future terrible episodes. Don't get me started on South Park's decline. I will go one for hours.

4. What sounds get on your nerves?

I am starting to get pretty sick of construction sounds, like jackhammer, especially when I am trying to talk on the phone.

5. What is your favorite thing about ASS?

The lovely people who comprise it!

6. hardest subject in school?

Trick question, I didn't go to school. In college, though, I only got two Cs, one for a paper is Russian History and one for my first ever college exam in psychology.

7. What are your favorite ten beers, in order?

There are probably others but these are all I can think of right now. 1. Rogue Shakespeare Oatmeal Stout. 2. Darwin Flag Porter 3. Magic Hat #9 4. Boddingtons 5. Three Floyds Zombie Dust 6. Wells Bombardier 7. Belhaven Scottish Ale 8. Sam Adams Boston Lager 9. Great Lakes Conway's Irish Ale 10. Bass Ale

8. What made you get a Mac laptop?

I was forced to when I went to music school and have never gone back.

9. Do you use ice in your soft drinks?

Minimally.

10. When was the last time you used a straw?

About amonth ago when my parents came to visit and I ate in a sit down restaurant.

insertnamehere
Made Man
Posts in topic: 9

Post by insertnamehere »

Mongoose, that only took you 13 minutes...
WILD AT HEART MAFIA
viewtopic.php?f=33&t=1679

Image Image Image
Mongoose

Post by Mongoose »

insertnamehere wrote:Mongoose, that only took you 13 minutes...
I've been adding to it for months.
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImage
thellama73
Supatown

Post by thellama73 »

Mongoose wrote: 11. What is the worst thing you ever smelled?

A sack of potatoes so rotten they were liquid.

12. What’s the grossest thing you’ve seen IRL?

I can't think of anything too gross. Again, I guess it would be spoiled food, like yogurt or milk that has turned solid and blue

13. Would you let me represent you in a court of law?

It depends on what the charge was. If it was anything involving big government, I wouldn't trust you to be on my side.

14. what is your favorite nickname for Canada?

Canadia.

15. What webcomics are you reading these days?

None, to be honest. Pokey the Penguin is still my favorite ever.

16. Favorite Bodehouse book?

I don't know who Bodehouse is, but my favorite Wodehouse is "The Inimitable Jeeves."

17. Of your novels, which do you feel is the least best?

Probably the first, Pandemonium. I didn't know what I was doing (well, still don't, but less so.)

18. Why can’t you always agree with me?

Because you are so often wrong, but I have hopes you will come around one day.

19. Have you ever been in a dumpster?

Yes, but I think it was pretty empty at the time.

20. What made you barf last?

The only thing that ever makes me barf. Alcohol.

bea
Racketeer

Post by bea »

Why do you think South Park has been so steadily declining? :feb: Sorry, couldn't resist. I love a good rant. :D
thellama73
Supatown

Post by thellama73 »

Mongoose wrote: 21. What was the last thing you took a photo of?

My lunch. It was a quesadilla.

22. Please place in order of preference: Pancakes, Waffles, French Toast, Crepes, Blintzes

Crepes, waffles, pancakes, french toast, blintzes.

23. How do you feel about Michael Bay?

Do you need to ask? He is to movies what the Eagles are to music.

24. What was the last DIY science experiment you did?

I made my own beer. Science!

25. What is your favorite scar?

The missing tip of my thumb resulting from a Star Wars drinking game gone horribly wrong.

26. What is your favorite bakery in DC?

Spring Mill Bread, although I haven't been in a long time.

27. Favorite bakery iIn Atlanta?

I honestly don't know. I don't go to a lot of bakeries there.

28. Why won’t you go to Sticky Fingers?

I don't know or care what that is.

29. When are you going to procure some RS albums (see what I did there?)

When they are not $18.99 each! (yes)

30. Have you ever walked out of a movie theatre and why? What was the film, and do you regret it?

I am sure I have, but I cannot remember the circumstances. I walked out of Thor because the film caught on fire. I don't regret leaving, but I regret going back and seeing the rest of it.

thellama73
Supatown

Post by thellama73 »

bea wrote:Why do you think South Park has been so steadily declining? :feb: Sorry, couldn't resist. I love a good rant. :D
The creators got too rich and too lazy. They insist on sticking to their one-week production schedule, which worked great in the early days, but now they are not even trying anymore. Go through and count up the number of episodes that are parodies of reality shows/specialty channels. It is astounding. The writing method has become just turning on the TV and parodying whatever happens to be on. Also, they have increasingly relied on one joke to carry a whole episode, which gets really tedious really fast (shake weight is like masturbating, haha, over and over again).

Also, they ruined Cartman, the best character, by transforming him from an obnoxious, racist fat kid who could nevertheless sell a million albums, build his own Shakey's Pizza and win the Civil War, into a pathetic sociopath who is no longer likeable or competent.

Also, they feel the need to be topical to the point of parodying movies they haven't seen, resulting in plagiarism. If you haven't seen a movie, don't parody it. The hyper-topical nature of the shows also means that they don't age well at all.

The reason I get so worked up over this is because of how much I used to love the show. It was once the smartest, funniest show on television and it has devolved into garbage. I feel betrayed.

thellama73
Supatown

Post by thellama73 »

Mongoose wrote: 31. Who is your favorite Greco-Roman god or goddess?

I am fond of Pan, for his playful/evil nature.

32. Who is your favorite Norse god?

Loki because see above and his name is like my name (sort of).

33. Which Native American tribe (including those in present-day South America) do you feel most drawn towards?

I don't know any of them and I don't care about any of them. It's time to quit whining, if you ask me.

34. Are you going to watch the Oscars this year?

They are already over, old questions, and I did not watch them.

35. What is your favorite Russian-language film?

Prisoner of the Caucusus

36. Who was the band you last saw live?

It has been a long time. Hm, probably Sleepytime Gorilla Museum.

37. Why do you never call me out on being bossy?

You are not that bossy. That being said, I think this whole "ban bossy" campaign is idiotic and ironic, given that a bunch of girls are telling me what to do.

38. Who is your favorite celebrity judge?

Judge Bork!

39. What is the most exotic animal you’d consider having as a pet?

A Fox.

40. Where were you when they announced the OJ Simpson verdict? (I was in gym class)

No idea, but I was disappointed.

thellama73
Supatown

Post by thellama73 »

Mongoose wrote: 41. What about when MJ died?

I don't know where I was. I don't care about him.

42. Last time you laughed?

Like, thirty seconds ago. (it involved someone saying the phrase "jerk store")

43. Do you ever drink cider?

Yes, but it is not my favorite.

44. Do you wear an eye mask or ear plugs to bed?

What am I, a rich yuppie woman?

45. What is the creepiest thing that ever bit you?

A skunk. No wait, that was you. A squirrel I guess. I do not get many bites.

46. What made you get out of your goth phase?

I was never really in a goth phase. I just liked the music for a while and went to a few clubs. It left me with college, although I still have some affection for it.

47. A friendly dog comes up to you while you’re at the park. Do you pet it?

Of course.

48. A feral cat is laying on your house stoop. Do you pet it?

Of course.

49. There’s a snake in your bedroom. What do you do?

Cook it and eat it.

50. When was the last time you listened to NPR?

The last time I was forced to because someone else in the car had it on.

51. Which classic authors do you feel are overrated?

Dickens, Austen, both Brontes, Tolstoy.

52. Food trend that is driving you nuts?

Nutrition.

53. Expressions that you abhor?

"Not so much."

54. Why always Lo Mein and never Chow Mein?

Because Lo Mein is better.

55. Brown rice, fried rice, white rice, egg noodles or rice noodles?

Usually white rice, egg noodles.

56. Do you find any boy bands to have talent?

Nope.

57. Music from 1973 that you don’t like / hate?

I'm not really into Selling England By The Pound by Genesis, because Phil Collins.

58. What did you do with those leftover sugar-free gummy bears?

I ate them and it was horrible.

59. Do you eat the nuts offered at bars?

Yes.

60. have you ever been to ab ar or speakeasy that requires a password?

I have not.

61. What was your best birthday ever like?

Scotch party and 8-s movies!

62. Have you ever mistakenly walked into the girls’ restroom?

Once or twice, but quickly discovered my error.

63. Who was the last person who made you mad? Was it Rachel Maddow?

Probably you, actually.

64. Would you ever go to Antarctica?

Absolutely.

65. What happened the last time you ate yogurt?

Nothing happened. I just ate it without incident.

66. Did we have you eat Meat Tornado?

I think that is only from P&R, but if it were real I would want one.

67. Will you please make an acrostic with your name?

Letches ogle girls all night.

68. Do you like your (real) middle name?

It is fine. Algerenon would be better.

69. What is something you wish you had less fear of even though you are fearless?

Dying alone.

70. Most number of flights of stairs you’ve ever climbed?

I don't no, probably 20 ish.

71. The most number of times you’ve ever seen a film and what was it? (Topsy Turvy?)

Probably the Shining, which I watch at least once a year.

72. Have you ever baked a cake? Was it good?

Yes.

73. Do you believe in past lives? If so, what do you think you did or who were you?

Yeah, I was probably a silk merchant.

74. What is the best thing you’ve ever cooked?

Fish chowder!

75. In a crazy dystopian universe, where you could only eat one cheese for the rest of your life, what would you pick and why?

Gouda. Perfect for all occasions

76. Your top ten favorite cheeses in order?

Gouda, wensleydale, red leicester, double gloucester, sage derby, Roquefort, Danish Bleu, Chedder, White Stilton, Muenster

77. Have you ever accidentally fallen into water?

Many times.

78. What happened the last time you were dehydrated?

Hangover city.

79. Why haven’t you updated your webpage in a billion years?

It is an insane pain to do and I don't care.

80. Who would win a pogostick-off?

I would. I am amazing at pogo.

Mongoose

Post by Mongoose »

What the heck did I do to make you mad?

Also, your yogurt answer especially was funny. It made me laugh aloud, which hurt. :evileye:
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImage
fingersplints
Hitman
Posts in topic: 68

Post by fingersplints »

thellama73 wrote:
Mongoose wrote: 51. Which classic authors do you feel are overrated?

Is the third not overrated? :ponder: :noble:

Is red your favorite color or did you just pick it because it is easy?
Gro-oo-ovy
timmer
Racketeer

Post by timmer »

*sniff*

No one had that many questions for me.

:eek: :offtobed:
My siggie.
thellama73
Supatown

Post by thellama73 »

fingersplints wrote:
thellama73 wrote:
Mongoose wrote: 51. Which classic authors do you feel are overrated?

Is the third not overrated? :ponder: :noble:

Is red your favorite color or did you just pick it because it is easy?
No one has heard of the third, so no.

In answer to your second question: yes.

thellama73
Supatown

Post by thellama73 »

Mongoose wrote: 81. What is objectively the best temperature? For winter? For summer?

27 degrees Fahrenheit.

82. Have you ever stained a shirt so badly you had to throw it away?

Often.

83. Favorite fish? (ha)

Swordfish. Delicious.

84. Do you think it’s practically a vegetable?

No, I like fish. (but I do get the reference)

85. Number of Mumblecore films you have seen?

Zero?

86. What is something that you think I should know about you but you are pretty sure I don’t?

When I was a kid I was stung by a whole nest of yellow-jackets and was allergic to stings for a while, but I am okay now.

87. Have you ever tried cat food or treats?

When I was very young.

88. Has you ice cream ever fallen off your cone?

Yes, but only after I was mostly done with it.

89. Do you think Myrna Loy has been reincarnated in any modern-day actresses?

Absolutely not. No modern actress has a fraction of her class.

90. Is Neo-Noir worth your time?

Probably not.

91. Did I tell you about the dream I had where James and I fended off cannibalistic band of marauders using only baseball bats for you while you were passed out drunk? Then you ate cherry pie with my grandpa and asked why we were so sweaty.

No.

92. What was the last dream you had?

I was trying to get across the river with my parents, but they kept breaking bones, so it was difficult. Then we went to a Chinese food restaurant where the menu was only in Chinese, and it was hard to order.

93. Do you think you’ll ever accidentally join a cult?

Probably not. I would only do it on purpose.

94. Least favorite musical?

Jeckyll and Hyde pissed me off.

95. Favorite topping/flavor for popcorn?

Lemon pepper.

96. Why haven’t you seen more Ingmar Bergman films?

Because the Seventh Seal was depressing and weird.

97. Are you going to see the documentary about the late great Roger Ebert’s life called Life Itself?

No, I don't care for him.

98. How much does pester power REALLY work on you?

I have a pretty high tollerance for annoyance.

99. Why are you contrarian?

I'm not. I don't know why you would assert such a thing.

100. How long did it take you do to this?

A thousand hours.

101. How much would someone have to pay you for you to take an aromatherapy class?

Just one class not a whole course? $50, plus the cost of the class itself.

102. Your leg gets broken in a freak meat-procuring accident. What do you do?

Walk it off.

103. If it meant ensuring world peace for 100 years, would you attend a yoga class?

Yes, but only if it were real yoga, not stretching for white women.

104. Favorite character in The Oddysey?

Menelaus.

105. Favorite character in The Peanuts?

You mean Peanuts? There is no "the" in Peanuts. Linus, I guess.

106. What is your favorite latin phrase?

Semper ubi sub ubi.

107. Why don’t you eat breakfast on weekdays?

1) not hungry. 2) less time for sleep if I did.

108. What’s the highest you’ve ever climbed in a tree?

High enough that I started to get nervous. Maybe fifty feet?

109. How do you think evolution will improve humans in the next 1000s of years? Will we finally lose our appendix? Lose our flight or flight response? Lose sensitivity to grains?

We don't have sensitivity to grains now, we are just being a baby. Judging by the people who are most successful at having kids, I would say that men will become meaner and more prone to infidelity and women will become stupider.

110. What’s the smallest plane you’ve ever been on?

The one that took me fro Amsterdam to Trondheim. The band Public Enemy was on it.

111. Have you been on a helicopter?

No.

112. What was the most haunted place you’ve ever been to like?

I have not had the fortune to be in very haunted places. Our house in California had a shower that would randomly turn itself on and off all the time though.

113. Why are you drawn to the Occult?

Because there are more things in heaven and earth than are dreamt of in your philosophy.

114. Are we there yet?

Amazingly, no.

115. Please put the following in order of your preference with 1 being the best. If you haven’t tried a selection, just mark it as 0
a. German Potato Salad
b. Greek Potato Salad
c. Russian Potato Salad
d. New York Potato Salad
e. Southern Potato Salad

1. a. 2. d. 3. e. 4. c. 5. b.

116. Please put the following in order of your preference with 1 being the best. If you haven’t tried a selection, just mark it as 0
a. Honey BBQ Sauce
b. Spicy BBQ Sauce
c. Hickory BBQ Sauce
d. Mustard BBQ Sauce
e. Tangy (Vinegar-based) BBQ Sauce
f. White (Mayo-based) BBQ sauce

1. e. 2. b. 3. d. 4. a. 5. c. 6. f.

117. Who is your favorite female bassist? (Not counting anyone on this site that is female and plays bass).

Joan Jett played bass for the Runaways for a while, so I pick her.

118. Which is your favorite Olympic sport to not watch?

Curling.

119. Do you think either of us could ever accidentally join a cult?

I think you already have.

120. What is the best way to eat an Oreo?

Pull it apart, lick the icing off, discard the rest.

121. Pipecleaner is sitting on your opera books. How do you feel about that? Don’t blame me, James let him get in the box.

As far as I am concerned, Pipecleaner can sit wherever he wants.

122. Is facial hair ever wrong?

No, not even on women.

123. What’s the worst way you’ve ever spent a Friday night?

I'm going to say the hospital, even though I have no memory of which night in the week that was. Let's say Friday.

124. What’s the earliest you’ve ever woken up? (Not counting nights you stayed up all night).

Woken up, or got up for the day? I have woken up as early as midnight, but I think 3:30 is about the earliest I have ever got up.

125. Why don’t you wear more green?

It's hard to find good green clothes for men.

126. the holy grail, the shroud of turin, the sword of peter, the cross of whomever, the ark of the covenant, Noah's Ark, Nicholas Flamel's philosopher's stone -- do you believe these exist?

The shroud of Turin demonstrably exists, or at least something called that does. The Ark of the Covenant probably existed at one point. No to the rest. The philosopher's stone is more of a metaphor for enlightenment than a physical object anyway.

bonus: Are we still friends? Hhah.

Yup. :D

insertnamehere
Made Man
Posts in topic: 9

Post by insertnamehere »

thellama73 wrote:
bea wrote:Why do you think South Park has been so steadily declining? :feb: Sorry, couldn't resist. I love a good rant. :D
The creators got too rich and too lazy. They insist on sticking to their one-week production schedule, which worked great in the early days, but now they are not even trying anymore. Go through and count up the number of episodes that are parodies of reality shows/specialty channels. It is astounding. The writing method has become just turning on the TV and parodying whatever happens to be on. Also, they have increasingly relied on one joke to carry a whole episode, which gets really tedious really fast (shake weight is like masturbating, haha, over and over again).

Also, they ruined Cartman, the best character, by transforming him from an obnoxious, racist fat kid who could nevertheless sell a million albums, build his own Shakey's Pizza and win the Civil War, into a pathetic sociopath who is no longer likeable or competent.

Also, they feel the need to be topical to the point of parodying movies they haven't seen, resulting in plagiarism. If you haven't seen a movie, don't parody it. The hyper-topical nature of the shows also means that they don't age well at all.

The reason I get so worked up over this is because of how much I used to love the show. It was once the smartest, funniest show on television and it has devolved into garbage. I feel betrayed.
As someone considering watching the show, what the fuck am I in for here? What seasons should I watch, and which should I skip?
WILD AT HEART MAFIA
viewtopic.php?f=33&t=1679

Image Image Image
bea
Racketeer

Post by bea »

thellama73 wrote:

Those are all fair and valid points.

I loved this show too - very hard. I also think it's hard to keep satire running for long lengths of time. People talk about The Simpsons, but they lost their edge ages ago too.

First season of South Park, I was still in college. We had a bar that had the big screen tv they pulled down for football games on Sunday - on South Park night - we were all there watching it on the big screen tv. Those first few seasons were amazing. I think, for me - it started the slow decline when Chef died....but that's just me.

What do you think of It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia?

What is your favorite comfort food?

What was your inspiration for The Light Fantastic?

What do you hope readers take away from that book?

Which writers most influence your work?
bea
Racketeer

Post by bea »

timmer wrote:*sniff*

No one had that many questions for me.

:eek: :offtobed:
:hugs: :hugs: :hugs: no one had that many for me either. :hug: :hug: :hug:
bea
Racketeer

Post by bea »

insertnamehere wrote:
thellama73 wrote:

As someone considering watching the show, what the fuck am I in for here? What seasons should I watch, and which should I skip?
I'll help here - but Llama can agree or disagree with me as needed - Start at the beginning. Keep in mind that the show started out topical and it is it's "niche" - So as you watch the beginning episodes, keep in mind the years they were put out. Quit watching when you think the show jumped the shark. I personally find the first three seasons of South Park to be some of the more amazing TV that was out in the early 90's.
bea
Racketeer

Post by bea »

@ llama - re: THE GOOSEY QUESTIONS:

There are questions and comments all around. I just kept tabs and numbers - have fun with this. :D

re: 31-40

37: What is this "ban on bossy?" I think I already hate it for the name alone.

re: 41-50:

42: Idnk the context but now I'm laughing. :)
44 - more giggles
46 - I can totally relate - and sometimes I still like the music ;)
54 - why is lo mein better than chow mein?
57 - favorite music from 1973?
61 - effin awesome!
66 - are you Ron Swanson?
68 - as in Flowers for? Also - what is your middle name?
76 - I adore your taste in cheese.

re: 100-1something:

103 - LOL.
106 - Translate please?
109 - I agree - unfortunately those of us that *should* breed do not do so at the rate of those of us that should not. :(
110 - sweet! Did you get to smooze?
113 - Nice. :D
117 - good call.
120. Yes. :noble:
125 - I could help with that. I have a small passion for men's fashion.... :)
thellama73
Supatown

Post by thellama73 »

insertnamehere wrote:
thellama73 wrote:

Seasons 1 and 2 are a little rough and amateurish, but good for establishing the characters. In my opinion the show hit its stride in Season 3 and stayed there until season 10 or so.

thellama73
Supatown

Post by thellama73 »

bea wrote: What do you think of It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia?

I actually haven't seen it yet.

Biscuits and gravy. Lots of gravy.

An article I read about the history, friendship and eventual feud between Cato Institute co-founders Ed Crane and Charles Koch.

I don't know if there is really a message to take away. I just hope they enjoy it and find it a good story.

My favorite writers are Victor Hugo, Herman Melville and G. K. Chesterton. I don't know how much direct influence there is there, but they are the bar I measure myself against (and then get very depressed at how short I fall).

thellama73
Supatown

Post by thellama73 »

bea wrote:

I have an extremely long rant on this that I don't have time to get into now. Basically, a group of celebrity women are saying the word "bossy" should be banned because it is used to belittle women and prevent them from becoming leaders. This annoys me for many reasons (the irony of bossily telling people not to call them bossy, for one) but particularly because my experience in the workplace is that women do extremely well, have an easier time finding jobs (I don't know any unemployed women) get promoted, make lots of money, and are treated with nothing but respect, and yet they still complain about oppression. When a man fails at something, it is because of a character flaw. When a woman fails at something, it is always the fault of a man.

Because of the taste.

Jethro Tull - A Passion Play, Yes - Tales from Topographic Oceans, Queen's debut, Bruce Springsteen's debut, etc.

I am not as manly as him, but politically we are on the same page.

As in Algernon Blackwood, and my middle name is Michael.

106 - Translate please?

It's stupid pun thta doesn't actually mean anything, but could be translated "Always where under where."

Nah, I am not really into their music and they didn't look all that friendly.
Thank you for all the questions, everyone! This is fun!

bea
Racketeer

Post by bea »

thellama73 wrote:
bea wrote: What do you think of It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia?

I actually haven't seen it yet.

Biscuits and gravy. Lots of gravy.

An article I read about the history, friendship and eventual feud between Cato Institute co-founders Ed Crane and Charles Koch.

I don't know if there is really a message to take away. I just hope they enjoy it and find it a good story.

My favorite writers are Victor Hugo, Herman Melville and G. K. Chesterton. I don't know how much direct influence there is there, but they are the bar I measure myself against (and then get very depressed at how short I fall).
1) you should check it out. It's like live action South Park. But still even more awesome. Somehow. (I'm also surely over hyping it.)

2) I assume with lots of sausage? I'm just taking notes for when we meet. Because when it happens I WILL cook for you.

3) The inspiration is more than interesting.

4) there should be more purpose to your writing. I loved the story, but also - I wanted to know - in the end - what I was supposed to take away from it. I want your writing to do for me what "A Prayer for Owen Meany" did for me. I think you have the talent to do that btw.

5) I'm not asking about who you hope to be (though that is important) - I'm asking who is a modern writer you admire - and if you don't have one - find one. soon.

also - linkie!!!!!!
bea
Racketeer

Post by bea »

thellama73 wrote:
bea wrote:

I have an extremely long rant on this that I don't have time to get into now. Basically, a group of celebrity women are saying the word "bossy" should be banned because it is used to belittle women and prevent them from becoming leaders. This annoys me for many reasons (the irony of bossily telling people not to call them bossy, for one) but particularly because my experience in the workplace is that women do extremely well, have an easier time finding jobs (I don't know any unemployed women) get promoted, make lots of money, and are treated with nothing but respect, and yet they still complain about oppression. When a man fails at something, it is because of a character flaw. When a woman fails at something, it is always the fault of a man.
I diss agree with lots of this - but I am too far gone to *right now* say which parts I disagree with. Most clearly.

Because of the taste.

how is one taste different from the other? I always go rice.

Jethro Tull - A Passion Play, Yes - Tales from Topographic Oceans, Queen's debut, Bruce Springsteen's debut, etc.

My favorite Jethro Tull is Thick as a brick. I had it in full fold out vinyl glory. It was one of the MANY losses I cried buckets over when my appartment burned to the ground.

I am not as manly as him, but politically we are on the same page.

As in Algernon Blackwood, and my middle name is Michael.

106 - Translate please?

It's stupid pun thta doesn't actually mean anything, but could be translated "Always where under where."

Nah, I am not really into their music and they didn't look all that friendly.
Thank you for all the questions, everyone! This is fun!
\
thellama73
Supatown

Post by thellama73 »

bea wrote:
1) you should check it out. It's like live action South Park. But still even more awesome. Somehow. (I'm also surely over hyping it.)

Ok!

2) I assume with lots of sausage? I'm just taking notes for when we meet. Because when it happens I WILL cook for you.

There is a delicate balance. Too much sausage and the gravy loses its essential gravy-ness. Too little and it becomes watery.

3) The inspiration is more than interesting.

4) there should be more purpose to your writing. I loved the story, but also - I wanted to know - in the end - what I was supposed to take away from it. I want your writing to do for me what "A Prayer for Owen Meany" did for me. I think you have the talent to do that btw.

The book I am working on now has a theme of personal choice over destiny. In other words, we are responsible for our own happiness by our approach to life, not our circumstances. I think to a certain extent that theme runs through all my books, including the Light Fantastic.

5) I'm not asking about who you hope to be (though that is important) - I'm asking who is a modern writer you admire - and if you don't have one - find one. soon.

I admire Neal Stephenson for his world-building abilities. That is something I wish I was better at. I admire Neil Gaiman, but more as a storyteller than as a writer. (if that distinction makes sense)

also - linkie!!!!!!

bea
Racketeer

Post by bea »

that distinction does make LOTS of sense.

I still think A Prayer for Owen Meany - is a good read for you.

It is hands down, my personal "Greatest Novel of the 20th Century"

Please do me this one favor - promise me you will read it.
thellama73
Supatown

Post by thellama73 »

bea wrote:that distinction does make LOTS of sense.

I still think A Prayer for Owen Meany - is a good read for you.

It is hands down, my personal "Greatest Novel of the 20th Century"

Please do me this one favor - promise me you will read it.
Okay. It may take me a while to get to it though. I have a lot of half finished books lying around I need to get through.

Epignosis
Skeletor
Posts in topic: 140

Post by Epignosis »

A Prayer for Owen Meany is indeed one of the greatest American novels ever penned. The last four pages paralyzed me.
Stream my music for free: https://epignosis.bandcamp.com/
Mongoose

Post by Mongoose »

Bea: In RE: Ron Swanson:

We joke that we are like Ron Swanson and Leslie Knope respectively :D
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImage
bea
Racketeer

Post by bea »

I can see the similarities goosey - :p
FZ.
Racketeer
Posts in topic: 75

Post by FZ. »

llama is up? I've been waiting for this since we started...but now I need to think about what I want to ask

So you're a writer. How did that happen? Was it something you always wanted to do?
Were you the type that always had to write something, or were you a late bloomer?
What do you like most about doing it?
Are you happy?
If you could change one thing in the world, what would it be?
What do you think is the greatest invention of the last 200 years?
Name something that is overrated, and something that is underestimated.
If you could have any trait that you lack, which would you choose?
Image Image ImageImage
ImageImage
thellama73
Supatown

Post by thellama73 »

FZ. wrote: So you're a writer. How did that happen? Was it something you always wanted to do
Not really. I was always sort of good at it, and I just sort of fell into it because people kept offering to pay me for it. I started writing novels when someone pointed me in the direction of National Novel Writing Month and I thought it would be fun to try. I've done one every year since.

Were you the type that always had to write something, or were you a late bloomer?
Definitely a late bloomer. My mom once assigned me a creative writing project as a kid, because she was worried I wouldn't know how to do it, and I plagiarized the first page of Shogun. I only started writing voluntarily in my late teens, and only started writing novels in my late twenties.

What do you like most about doing it?
I like coming up with ideas. Ideas are fun. Making those ideas into coherent books is hard, though.

Are you happy?
I have always been a generally happy person. I have my down periods, but yes, I would say that in general I am quite happy.

If you could change one thing in the world, what would it be?
I would like freedom to be more highly valued than it is.

What do you think is the greatest invention of the last 200 years?
The greatest invention of all time is undeniably the printing press, but in the last 200 years, I guess it would have to be the internet.

Name something that is overrated, and something that is underestimated.
I think parades and fireworks displays are vastly overrated. Yodeling is underestimated. Have you ever heard such sounds of pure joy as yodeling?

If you could have any trait that you lack, which would you choose?
Why are you implying that I lack traits? Do you think so lowly of me? I guess tact would be the answer, but I think the most important trait is perspective, and I like to think I have it, at least in a small way.

Epignosis
Skeletor
Posts in topic: 140

Post by Epignosis »

Why is Calvin Coolidge the best president?
Stream my music for free: https://epignosis.bandcamp.com/
thellama73
Supatown

Post by thellama73 »

Epignosis wrote:Why is Calvin Coolidge the best president?
He's not. Grover Cleveland is.

Return to “Welcome to the Family”