Book Club

This is a place to talk about books, poetry, and any other literary works.

What book would you like to read first?

Oryx and Crake (Book 1 of Maddaddam Trilogy) by Margaret Atwood
7%
Life and Times of Michael K by JM Coetzee
No votes
The Name of the Rose by Umberto Eco
No votes
Shades of Grey by Jasper Fforde
7%
Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro
10%
Go Set A Watchman by Harper Lee
17%
Station Eleven by Emily St John Mandel
27%
Wolf Hall by Hilary Mantel
7%
Wittgenstein's Mistress by David Markson
7%
The Wolf's Hour by Robert R. McCammon
3%
Midnight's Children by Salman Rushdie
13%
The Valley of Amazement by Amy Tan
No votes
I don't want to be in the Book Club!
No votes
I want to be in the Book Club, but I don't care what we read.
3%

Total votes: 30
Golden
The Coward
Posts in topic: 13

Re: Book Club

Post by Golden »

I already wanted to be a lawyer, but I had To Kill a Mockingbird as a required text in English when I was 16 and it sealed the deal.
Spoiler: show
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Canucklehead wrote:Civ Golden is a hurricane of self-assurance.
G-Man wrote: Coward
A Person
Loan Shark
Posts in topic: 6

Post by A Person »

I am fine with rereading too. I wouldn't go out of my way to reread many books, but I'd have nothing against rereading one I wouldn't otherwise.
juliets
Dancing Pancake
Posts in topic: 18
Preferred Pronouns: she/her/hers
Aka: jules

Post by juliets »

S~V~S what do you mean by "contemporary drama"? Do you have any examples?
JaggedJimmyJay wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 3:24 pm Always good to remember that there is no such thing as a Mafia circumstance that is worth real human emotion. Sometimes it will naturally come out, but it can be contained if we just remember that this is a game on a message board forum that 99.99% of the population of the Earth has never heard of before. No matter how successful anyone is, it means just about nothing.

ImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
S~V~S
Captain Obvious
Posts in topic: 25

Post by S~V~S »

Go Set A Watchman, the harper Lee book, is supposed to be coming out in July. I think a new book would be a great way to kick off the book club.

Linki, No examples, i don't read them. Basically relationship type books set in the present. Yawn.
Skip softly, my moonbeams, for I have heard tell
That the stairs up to heaven lead straight down to hell
fingersplints
Hitman
Posts in topic: 21

Post by fingersplints »

A Person wrote:I am fine with rereading too. I wouldn't go out of my way to reread many books, but I'd have nothing against rereading one I wouldn't otherwise.
same!
Gro-oo-ovy
thellama73
Supatown
Posts in topic: 14

Post by thellama73 »

S~V~S wrote: I have to think on this~ my initial reaction is to nominate Ulysses, by Joyce. I have never read it. But I have not read alot of things :)
I read it last year. I don't recommend it.
Epignosis wrote:If llama is good, it means we exist in a universe in which multitasking llama can call out the first of two mafia while simultaneously calling out two civilians.

I don't want to live in that universe.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Epignosis
Skeletor
Posts in topic: 11

Post by Epignosis »

thellama73 wrote:
S~V~S wrote: I have to think on this~ my initial reaction is to nominate Ulysses, by Joyce. I have never read it. But I have not read alot of things :)
I took a class on Irish lit. I also don't recommend it. Joyce was a master of short stories. His novels were pretentious twaddle and he knew it.
Stream my music for free: https://epignosis.bandcamp.com/
Marmot
Marmot
Posts in topic: 19
Preferred Pronouns: they/them
Aka: Marmot

Post by Marmot »

Perhaps we should begin with Where the Wild Things Are?

Banners and Stuff
My Syndicate Mafia Wins:

Full Games Civilian: Image

Mafia: Image Image Image Image

Independent: Image Image
Speed Games Civilian: Image Image Fiddler on the Roof

Heists Civilian: Image Image Image Image Image

MVP: RED vs BLUE
Burglaries Independent: The Theme Is Literally a Burglary
Special Games Civilian: Image Image Image Image

Independent: Image

My Syndicate Hosted Games:

Speed Games Image Image Image
Heists Image Image Image

Some other Banners:

2014 Sockys Image
2015 Sockys Image Image Image
Miscellaneous Image Image

Dragon D. Luffy wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 7:33 pm Just how many days of "let's yeet them tomorrow" can a mafioso survive?

The answer: all of them, if you are a marmot.
S~V~S
Captain Obvious

Post by S~V~S »

Epignosis wrote:
thellama73 wrote:
I took a class on Irish lit. I also don't recommend it. Joyce was a master of short stories. His novels were pretentious twaddle and he knew it.
I will just shut up now. Whatever we choose I am sure will be good.
juliets
Dancing Pancake

Post by juliets »

SVS I looked at that Time list and liked the one you posted better, of course thats just me. Also, we need everyone's voice including yours to find the right way to do this. Maybe we should continue throwing out one book each and then vote on what we have. Or we could go with A Persons idea and do a random off the list or an expanded list (we could expand the list by putting things on there that's not already there). I'm real easy how we do it.
JaggedJimmyJay wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 3:24 pm Always good to remember that there is no such thing as a Mafia circumstance that is worth real human emotion. Sometimes it will naturally come out, but it can be contained if we just remember that this is a game on a message board forum that 99.99% of the population of the Earth has never heard of before. No matter how successful anyone is, it means just about nothing.

ImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
Ricochet
Uomini D'onore (Man of Honor)
Posts in topic: 5

Post by Ricochet »

Epignosis wrote:
thellama73 wrote:
I wouldn't call it book club material (except if we're going full avant-garde), but I'm happy to report it is one of my favourite books. Or it was at least, back when I was 16 and my brain was apparently generating its own brand of opium. I didn't like Dubliners, by comparison. :mafia:
fingersplints
Hitman

Post by fingersplints »

S~V~S wrote:
Epignosis wrote:
thellama73 wrote:
I will just shut up now. Whatever we choose I am sure will be good.
I do actually plan on reading this but probably not for book club. I have a hardcover copy I bought like 15 years ago that I have brought out to read several times. Seriously I brought it out last time I was in NY again with all the others I hadn't read, but I didn't get to it. It was going to come on the last trip to England, but I opted for series I read and will reread instead. ( ASOIAF and HarryPotter hardcovers )
Somehow I feel still I need to read THAT COPY since I have meant to and not so many times, but if it gets picked I think I have it on my iPad too.
Gro-oo-ovy
juliets
Dancing Pancake

Post by juliets »

I have been meaning to read Interpreter of Maladies which is an award winning book from a few years back that is on the list. I'd also like to read Moneyball which I bought and still haven't read. It's also on the list.

ImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
S~V~S
Captain Obvious

Post by S~V~S »

Money ball was good.

You guys let me know what you decide and I will be up for it :)
thellama73
Supatown

Post by thellama73 »

I'm not in the book club, but I nominate Three Men in a Boat (to say nothing of the dog.) It's short, charming, and one of the funniest books I've ever read.
Epignosis wrote:If llama is good, it means we exist in a universe in which multitasking llama can call out the first of two mafia while simultaneously calling out two civilians.

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Ricochet
Uomini D'onore (Man of Honor)
Posts in topic: 5

Post by Ricochet »

Read it. The first chapters had me dying of laughter, but then I felt it (ironically) went nowhere. Sounds like a good choice, though. Maybe upon a second read...? Maybe if I read it in original? Douglas Adams clicked so well when I read it straight from the source.
Canucklehead
Drug Dealer
Posts in topic: 8

Post by Canucklehead »

I'm not entirely sure I'll be able to join/keep up (I say, glancing stomach-droppingly at the stacks and stacks of books I need to read in order to get this chapter written), but I wanted to throw out there the thought that in my experience (and, for better or for worse, I've got a LOT of experience with the whole organized-and-formalized-discussing-of-books thing) the best discussions about books (or anything, for that matter) are ones that have room for real controversy, real disagreement, and real stakes. People sitting about and commenting on how nice and warm and funny and sweet "The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Nighttime" was, or how brilliant Mr. Canonical-Author-of-the-Moment is, makes for very boring book club discussion, despite the fact that the reading experience might have been quite lovely. For that reason, I want to suggest that choosing a book that everyone already wants to read, or already knows/suspects they will like, might not result in the most enthralling book club in the world. My preference would be to use the opportunity to read something that challenges me (aesthetically, emotionally, intellectually, politically, whatever), something I wouldn't pick up on my own, and then be able to talk to a group of smart, interesting, diverse people about why it's challenging, and how we're all approaching and dealing with the challenge. A few other students in my program and I are doing exactly this this summer and reading a whole shitload of hard texts together that are important to our work but that we have (for whatever reasons) avoided reading until now. It's been fantastic, and has really opened up for me some texts that were previously either intimidating or inscrutable or just plain unappealing to me, and my relationship to these texts is much richer than it would have been if I was just plugging through them alone. This is pretty much my ideal of a "book club", and what I personally would love to take part in here, and through which I would hope to be exposed to things I wouldn't choose for myself. (Of course, this doesn't make the question of what to read, and how to choose, any clearer....)

....but that's just my preference, and like I said, I may not be able to really participate much. Also, it's summer, and sometimes summer is the time to kick back with something entertaining and enjoyable (which has every bit as much value as something "challenging") and just talk to people about how much fun it is. :)
juliets
Dancing Pancake

Post by juliets »

Canuck does any book come to mind that might meet your criteria? I think your pov is very interesting and something we should consider as we choose books. (It seems like there are a lot of things to consider as we look for books to read! :) ).

ImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
G-Man
Made Man
Posts in topic: 3

Post by G-Man »

A few controversial/discussion-worthy books you may want to consider include:

-Mein Kampf
-The Communist Manifesto
-Pretty much any religious text
-Anything by L. Ron Hubbard
-Pretty much any book by a political commentator (Coulter, Krugman, etc.)
-On the Origin of Species by Means of Natural Selection, or the Preservation of Favoured Races in the Struggle for Life by Charles Darwin
A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V
My Banners:
Word to your mom- my spreadsheet's the bomb
I got more rhymes than BoB's host Dom
S~V~S
Captain Obvious

Post by S~V~S »

I have read all of those. Except Coulter. I just couldn't. And I probably have not read every religious text, by far. I think we are looking for warm fuzzy literary chat, a bonding experience if you will. We eviscerate each other enough in games :haha:

I did enjoy Hubbards sci fi, although he occasionally got heavy handed with his philosophy. I read all of the Wild Card books more than once.
thellama73
Supatown

Post by thellama73 »

G-Man wrote:A few controversial/discussion-worthy books you may want to consider include:

-Mein Kampf
-The Communist Manifesto
-On the Origin of Species by Means of Natural Selection, or the Preservation of Favoured Races in the Struggle for Life by Charles Darwin
You forgot Atlas Shrugged!

Golden
The Coward

Post by Golden »

thellama73 wrote:
G-Man wrote:A few controversial/discussion-worthy books you may want to consider include:

-Mein Kampf
-The Communist Manifesto
:shrug:
G-Man
Made Man
Posts in topic: 3

Post by G-Man »

thellama73 wrote:

-Mein Kampf
-The Communist Manifesto
Ayn Rand isn't controversial to me. I read Anthem in high school, loved it, and I try to read it once a year. Never got to Atlas Shrugged but it'll have to wait.
A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V
My Banners:
Word to your mom- my spreadsheet's the bomb
I got more rhymes than BoB's host Dom
juliets
Dancing Pancake

Post by juliets »

In my little head I guess I had something more modern in mind. And though the political commentary books are very modern I'm afraid we'd end up in a discussion about politics instead of the book. I've talked a lot on this subject though so I think people are aware how I'm thinking. I want to hear what some others who want to be in the book club think. If several people agree they want to read one of those books they could be one sub-group and we'd just have to determine the others if thats the way we want to go.

ImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
Hedgeowl
Money Launderer
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Hedgeowl »

A controversial and interesting book would be fine, but I def dont think a political one would be the place to start.

I think we all just PM our picks to Splints and she creates a poll, then no one has to feel judged for their suggestion. Especially by those not joining book club. lol.

Of course, I heard the review for the new book Grey are pretty atrocious. That could cause some fun controversy. :haha:
Turnip Head wrote: We need to lynch Pennsylvania Bitch.
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
S~V~S
Captain Obvious

Post by S~V~S »

Oooo secret submission, good idea :D
Golden
The Coward

Post by Golden »

I concur - splints, what do you think about secret submission to you as an idea?
fingersplints
Hitman

Post by fingersplints »

Sounds great to me!!
Gro-oo-ovy
Canucklehead
Drug Dealer

Post by Canucklehead »

-Mein Kampf
-The Communist Manifesto
This is, obviously, not what I meant.

I'm happy with the idea of sending in anonymous suggestions then voting in a poll!
Canucklehead
Drug Dealer

Post by Canucklehead »

Can we send in one suggestion only? Or can we send a couple?
Marmot
Marmot

Post by Marmot »

-Mein Kampf
-The Communist Manifesto
I had honestly never heard of L. Ron Hubbard until his name came up in a Frank Zappa song. :smile:

Banners and Stuff
My Syndicate Mafia Wins:

Heists Image Image Image

Some other Banners:

2014 Sockys Image

Dragon D. Luffy wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 7:33 pm Just how many days of "let's yeet them tomorrow" can a mafioso survive?

Marmot
Marmot

Post by Marmot »

I have no strong preference for a book we read or how we go about choosing it. But if the book is listed on Amazon's front page or made into a Hollywood movie in the last 5-10 years, I think I'd be less inclined to read it.

Banners and Stuff
My Syndicate Mafia Wins:

Heists Image Image Image

Some other Banners:

2014 Sockys Image

juliets
Dancing Pancake

Post by juliets »

Let Canuck send in more than one. I won't send in one this time and just vote on whatever list comes out of this.

ImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
fingersplints
Hitman

Post by fingersplints »

I'm ok with people sending in more then one. :)
Gro-oo-ovy
Roxy
Hitman
Posts in topic: 2
Preferred Pronouns: She, Her, Whore if ya know me

Post by Roxy »

I have not read most of the books mentioned here. I read for relaxation and fun. Not serious at all unless it is a garden or herb book. Then I can get quite serious and emotional while discussing corn or thyme.

I do enjoy reading great autobiographies or a really scary book.

I don't/will not read anything political bc at work I am the only dirt loving tree hugger so it is a constant debate at work which I have grown very tired of. You would not believe the discussion we had about that fucking rebel flag. I work with some real assholes.

I doubt I would read anything by Ron Hubbard though I might consider something from Ron Jeremy.

I would suggest Life by Keith Richards.

So I guess what I am saying is I do not think I will fit into this club though I hope everyone really enjoys this. :)
;)
S~V~S
Captain Obvious

Post by S~V~S »

Best self help book ever; What Would Keith Richards Do? Countless useful nuggets of wisdom in there:

On Drugs:

"I've never had a problem with drugs, only with
policemen."

"If you are going to get wasted, then get wasted
elegantly."

"I've never turned blue in someone else's
bathroom. I consider that the height of bad
manners."

I recommend it~ it lays out the "I don't give a fuck lifestyle" very, very well.
Canucklehead
Drug Dealer

Post by Canucklehead »

Roxy wrote:I have not read most of the books mentioned here. I read for relaxation and fun. Not serious at all unless it is a garden or herb book. Then I can get quite serious and emotional while discussing corn or thyme.

I do enjoy reading great autobiographies or a really scary book.

I don't/will not read anything political bc at work I am the only dirt loving tree hugger so it is a constant debate at work which I have grown very tired of. You would not believe the discussion we had about that fucking rebel flag. I work with some real assholes.

I doubt I would read anything by Ron Hubbard though I might consider something from Ron Jeremy.

I would suggest Life by Keith Richards.

So I guess what I am saying is I do not think I will fit into this club though I hope everyone really enjoys this. :)
Rox, don't let any of the suggestions here deter you! Just a bunch of ideas people were throwing around to get things started. The actual book list will come from a vote, so submit whatever you like, Ron Jeremy included :p!
This is, as I understand it, a book club meant to serve the whims of its members, so just submit whatever books YOU personally want to read, and vote for the ones that float your boat :beer: "Relaxation and fun" are a perfect mandate for a book club! You will not be alone, I have no doubt, in having that as your motive :nicenod:
Hedgeowl
Money Launderer
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Hedgeowl »

Roxy- We had grilled corn for dinner and thyme picked from the overgrown needing to be weeded garden. I strive to be a real gardener, but I just have the books really and not the time.

As far as books go, my go-to escape books are YA fantasy/sci-fi stuff, so yeah...not everyone's cup of tea. I am seriously over the vampires though. I blame the Twilight craze for somewhat ruining Buffy for me too.

It's going to take me days to pick the "perfect" submission. Decisions are so hard!! :overreact:
Turnip Head wrote: We need to lynch Pennsylvania Bitch.
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
Canucklehead
Drug Dealer

Post by Canucklehead »

Any thoughts on how long before the poll goes up? Should we give it another week or so to make sure everyone who wants to offer suggestions has time to do so? Or is that not enough time?
fingersplints
Hitman

Post by fingersplints »

I think that a week sounds good. We can always re-evaluate at the end of the week if need be.

I'll PM those later who expressed interest, but haven't submitted a book yet in case they have one in mind and forgot.
Gro-oo-ovy
fingersplints
Hitman

Post by fingersplints »

Only a few days left! get those suggestions in everyone!
Gro-oo-ovy
fingersplints
Hitman

Post by fingersplints »

Last chance to get your submissions in. I'm going to make the poll in the morning sometime!
Gro-oo-ovy
juliets
Dancing Pancake

Post by juliets »

Yippee!!

ImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
S~V~S
Captain Obvious

Post by S~V~S »

Yay, I am looking forward to some good book discussion, hopefully troll free~ :haha:
thellama73
Supatown

Post by thellama73 »

S~V~S wrote:hopefully troll free~ :haha:
Nope. :D

fingersplints
Hitman

Post by fingersplints »

Gro-oo-ovy
fingersplints
Hitman

Book Club Submissions are in!

Post by fingersplints »

Oryx and Crake (Book 1 of Maddaddam Trilogy) by Margaret Atwood

Life and Times of Michael K by JM Coetzee

The Name of the Rose by Umberto Eco

Shades of Grey by Jasper Fforde

Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro

Go Set A Watchman by Harper Lee

Station Eleven by Emily St John Mandel

Wolf Hall by Hilary Mantel

Wittgenstein's Mistress by David Markson

The Wolf's Hour by Robert R. McCammon

Midnight's Children by Salman Rushdie

The Valley of Amazement by Amy Tan
Last edited by fingersplints on Wed Jul 22, 2015 8:43 am, edited 2 times in total.
Gro-oo-ovy
fingersplints
Hitman

Post by fingersplints »

If I missed anyone's book submission please let me know ASAP!

I allowed for three voting options. :shrug2: If everyone would like to do weighted votes we can do that as well. Just make note of the order you'd like in the thread.
Gro-oo-ovy
Marmot
Marmot

Post by Marmot »

Here are my weighted votes.

1) Oryx and Crake - I've read one Atwood book before (The Handmaid's Tale), and I really liked it. Also, I have an affinity to trilogies.
2) Station Eleven - The dystopian setting sounds interesting here.
3) Wittgenstein's Mistress - I've never read a book like this one before, and it looks intriguing. I feel like it will be either amazing or not interesting at all, no in between ground.

Banners and Stuff
My Syndicate Mafia Wins:

Heists Image Image Image

Some other Banners:

2014 Sockys Image

thellama73
Supatown

Post by thellama73 »

Werewolf Nazi-Fighting Secret Agent.

Just saying.

Return to “The Book Cellar”