Game Queue Changes

Want to know what's new at The Syndicate? Check out site-wide announcements here.
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum
Posts in topic: 1
Preferred Pronouns: any/all
Aka: Tangy

Game Queue Changes

Post by Tangrowth »

Hello, members of The Syndicate! I have two important game queue announcements for you all.

=================================================================================
=================================================================================

First, we will be swapping out the Full Game (Job) currently in sign-ups, Fullmetal Alchemist Mafia hosted by Metalmarsh89, and will be replacing it with Monkey Island Mafia hosted by thellama73. Metalmarsh informed me recently that he will not be able to host his game due to schedule conflicts, now that the game has been in sign-ups for 2 months and he's just halfway through sign-ups. His situation is entirely understandable, and I know he feels awful about it, but it was no fault of his that we have undergone a slower time the last few months, and he will be hosting the game in the future.

For all of you (except llama) who are signed up for Fullmetal Alchemist, you will have priority to sign up for Llama's game before anyone who has not yet signed up. I've instructed Llama to reserve you all spots so that you can be guaranteed to play his game if you wish, but please still confirm or deny your spot in his game's sign-ups as normal. He should be placing his game into sign-ups later today or tomorrow.

Second, after receiving your survey feedback (thanks very much!) and having various discussions among the administrators and moderators, the following changes will be made to the game queues here at the site, effective immediately after the completion of any ongoing or upcoming (currently in sign-ups) games.

Full Games (Jobs):

- Each queue will last for a projected six months or less, starting with a new three month queue. This will make it much easier for hosts to plan their schedules and will keep the queue from backing up too far.

- This means that you all (players and hosts) will be participating in queue polls more often! The polls will work in a similar fashion, with the game receiving the most votes being first in the queue's order, and so on. The voting in these polls will be more relevant because the results will not last for more than half a year.

- Submissions for each queue will be restricted to the first five or so (the exact number will be specified in the announcement for each queue) number of game submissions received by the administrators. Thus, first come, first serve will determine the games that will be voted on by the public, assuming the game submissions meet Full Game specifications.

- Host(s) who have games in the current (soon to be revamped) Full Game queue will temporarily be given preferential treatment for submitting into these new condensed queues over completely new hosts, until those games have been hosted or removed from consideration completely by host request. However, we will be leaving at least one spot per queue open for new hosts to give them a chance to host, since the current queue has been bloated for some time. In addition, if any of the host(s) of the previously-submitted games are unable to host within the time requirements for the new queue, and this results in less hosts than the spots allotted, then new hosts will be able to take advantage of the number of spots available beyond the one reserved.

- Submissions for each queue will be restricted to allowing a member to co-host or host only one game per queue. For example, MovingPictures07 will not be able to co-host a game with JaggedJimmyJay and co-host a game with S~V~S in the same queue; instead, one of those games will have to be wait to be submitted until the next queue.

- The same player (20+ players) and role (any number of power roles) restrictions will apply for these games. However, for the foreseeable future, it will be strongly recommended for games to run with 30 or less players, ideally 25 or less. Nonetheless, that discretion is up to the host(s) of each game, and we will not be imposing any such mandatory restrictions.

Speed Games (Side Missions):

- The queue structure and process (first come, first serve) will largely remain intact, with one major change. A solo host or co-host pairing who submit multiple games to the queue must wait for their first submission to be played before subsequent submissions can enter the queue. For example, MovingPictures07 submits three games to the Speed Game queue. MP Game 1 remains in the main queue, but MP Game 2 and MP Game 3 cannot enter the main queue and will be "held" in a holding queue until MP Game 1 is played. Once MP Game 1 is complete, MP Game 2 will enter the bottom of the queue order as if it was just submitted. MP Game 3 will do the same once MP Game 2 is played. If instead MovingPictures07 is co-hosting with JaggedJimmyJay, as long as that game is the only game in the queue co-hosted by that pair of players, it will enter the queue as normal. Although we greatly appreciate hosts who submit multiple games to the queue, this process will prevent queue clogging and will make it easier for new hosts to host earlier rather than having to wait too long.

- Speed Games must have time cycles of no more than 48 hours total (for example, 24/24 or 36/12). 24/24 was the original rule when the site began, but later we removed the restriction and instead recommended 24/24 cycles so that those who want to host or play 48/24 smaller games can do so. However, since the addition of Classic Games (Heists), which are designed to be longer cycles, we have decided to return the "Speed" back in Speed Games for good this time.

Classic Games (Heists):

- The role restriction of no more than three power roles is now a restriction of no more than three non-vanilla roles. This is to distinguish power roles (roles with positive utility) from crippled roles (roles with negative utility), which are both types of non-vanilla roles.

Pick-up Games (Burglaries):

Hey, these are new games! Check them out.

- These games will take place over the span of less than 12 hours for the entire game, recommended to be 1-5 hours, but up to the discretion of the host. Looking for a mafia game but only have a day free? Don't want to commit more than a day of your time? Then look no further!

- Games must comprise 10 players or less.

If any of you have questions or concerns about these changes, please do not hesitate to PM the administrator team.

Lastly, we greatly encourage those of you who have still not yet filled out the previously sent Syndicate Survey. For more information regarding that survey, see the spoiler tag below.
Spoiler: show
MovingPictures07 wrote:Good morning, members of The Syndicate!

We have had some of you assist us by filling out the survey referenced in JJJ's message below, but we still could use a lot more feedback. Please take just a few minutes of your time to answer this survey for us so that we can improve your experience here at The Syndicate.

This site is incredibly important to me and I have sunk so much time and passion into this site for all of you to not only play and host mafia but become part of a unique community full of fantastic people that I feel lucky enough to have in my life. I know the other admins and moderators feel the same way, and that at least some of you members do as well. For those of you who have not yet filled this out, regardless of the nature of your feedback, please consider doing so as soon as possible. It would really mean the world to me and to everyone else who has volunteered their time to help make this site what it is, from the admins and mods, to the ambassadors, and all of you members, without whom we wouldn't have been able to make it as long as we have.

Thanks so much to all of you! We look forward to seeing more of your feedback.

- MP
JaggedJimmyJay wrote:Hello everyone,

We among the site staff are always looking for ways to sustain and improve The Syndicate to facilitate the best and most comfortable experience for all of our members. We have devised a short survey which we hope will help us to understand your wants and needs so that we can do our best to make the site work for you and any future registrants. We would greatly appreciate it if you could give us a few minutes of your time to fill out this survey. Your feedback is important to us.

A few notes:

~ Some of the survey items are written as statements. Simply read the statement, and then indicate whether you agree or disagree with it and to what extent.

~ Some of the survey items are written as questions. Answer them with whichever option is most true for you.

~ Each item includes a comment box (maximum 100 characters). It is not required that you write anything in these, though we'd be grateful for any additional feedback you can provide.

~ The survey is set to be anonymous. We will not know who provided each answer.

~ Your answers will not be officially submitted until you have clicked "Done" at the bottom of the page.

Click here to access the survey.

Thank you again for your time and your help. If there is anything you'd like to discuss about The Syndicate which isn't covered on this survey, I encourage you to contact me or anyone on the administration team. We hope to see you in the next slate of Mafia games and beyond. :)
We will be sure to keep all of you updated on any further changes as a result of your survey feedback. We incredibly appreciate your feedback and continued involvement in this community!
Dragon D. Luffy
The Pirate
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him/His

Re: Game Queue Changes

Post by Dragon D. Luffy »

This is awesome. I'm up for any changes that make this site more dynamic.
Marmot
Marmot
Posts in topic: 2
Preferred Pronouns: they/them
Aka: Marmot

Post by Marmot »

2 months and only 16/33 players signed up for Fullmetal Alchemist. Sorry to everyone who had already signed up, but it was just taking too long in the queue.

Additionally, I'm having quite a busy term with classes, so things would have been tricky on my end anyway.

Banners and Stuff
My Syndicate Mafia Wins:

Full Games Civilian: Image

Mafia: Image Image Image Image

Independent: Image Image
Speed Games Civilian: Image Image Fiddler on the Roof

Heists Civilian: Image Image Image Image Image

MVP: RED vs BLUE
Burglaries Independent: The Theme Is Literally a Burglary
Special Games Civilian: Image Image Image Image

Independent: Image

My Syndicate Hosted Games:

Speed Games Image Image Image
Heists Image Image Image

Some other Banners:

2014 Sockys Image
2015 Sockys Image Image Image
Miscellaneous Image Image

Dragon D. Luffy wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 7:33 pm Just how many days of "let's yeet them tomorrow" can a mafioso survive?

The answer: all of them, if you are a marmot.
thellama73
Supatown

Post by thellama73 »

Don't blame yourself, MM, even if others do.
Epignosis wrote:If llama is good, it means we exist in a universe in which multitasking llama can call out the first of two mafia while simultaneously calling out two civilians.

I don't want to live in that universe.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
JaggedJimmyJay
The Brassiere of The Syndicate
Preferred Pronouns: He/him/his/himself
Aka: Jay | JJJ | J3 | 3J | jagged | Jimmy | KOFM

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

I'd have backed out sooner than you did, pal. No worries at all. :)

Hopefully we can return to the game sooner than later.
Overall: 73-57 (.56) | Town 49-41 (.54) | Mafia 18-11 (.62) | Independent 6-4 (.60)

The Syndicate: Town 23-26; Mafia 10-5; Indy 5-1 | RateYourMusic: Town 14-13; Mafia 5-4; Indy 0-3 | Mafia Universe: Town 6-0; Mafia 1-0 | Student Doctor Network: Town 2-1; Mafia 1-0 | HeroClixRealms: Town 1-0; Mafia 0-1 | Bulbagarden: Mafia 0-1; Indy 1-0 | 2+2 POG: Town 1-0 | Naruto Forums: Town 0-1 | Personality Café: Town 1-0 | Vendetta Strada: Town 0-1 | Mafia451: Town 1-0 | Wintreath: Mafia 1-0

Awards:

The Syndicate

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Student Doctor Network

ImageImageImageImageImage

Rate Your Music

Best Townie, Maffies 4, 8 and 9
Best Scum, Maffies 3
Best Moderator, Maffies 8 and 9
Most Valuable Player, Maffies 7 and 9
Best Roleplay, Maffies 4 and 6
Spirit Award, Maffies 9
Hall of Fame inductee, Maffies 4

Mafia Universe

Mafia Championship Finalist, 2015 and 2020
Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage[-Mass Effect Mafia banner-]ImageImageImageImage
Marmot
Marmot
Posts in topic: 2
Preferred Pronouns: they/them
Aka: Marmot

Post by Marmot »

thellama73 wrote:Don't blame yourself, MM, even if others do.
I blame you. Did you notice how I tapped out when you signed up? :llama:

Banners and Stuff
My Syndicate Mafia Wins:

Full Games Civilian: Image

Independent: Image Image
Speed Games Civilian: Image Image Fiddler on the Roof

Heists Civilian: Image Image Image Image Image

MVP: RED vs BLUE
Burglaries Independent: The Theme Is Literally a Burglary
Special Games Civilian: Image Image Image Image

Independent: Image

My Syndicate Hosted Games:

Speed Games Image Image Image
Heists Image Image Image

Some other Banners:

2014 Sockys Image
2015 Sockys Image Image Image
Miscellaneous Image Image

Dragon D. Luffy wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 7:33 pm Just how many days of "let's yeet them tomorrow" can a mafioso survive?

The answer: all of them, if you are a marmot.

Return to “Announcements”