The Genius {NON-MAFIA GAME}

Moderator: Community Team

insertnamehere
Made Man
Posts in topic: 6

The Genius {NON-MAFIA GAME}

Post by insertnamehere »

INH, WHAT THE HELL IS THE GENIUS?

I'm incredibly glad you asked! The Genius is the best game show of all time. Suck it, Jeopardy. Eat your heart out, Who Wants To Be A Millionaire. As much as I love Survivor, it's nowhere near as relentlessly inventive and strategically advanced as The Genius. Now, The Genius ran for four incredibly popular, critically acclaimed seasons in South Korea. The only way to watch it anywhere else is via fan translations. (https://www.reddit.com/r/TheGenius/comm ... h=62a809e3) Now, in the vein of Survivor Mafia and The Mole Mafia, I have endeavored to bring it to The Syndicate.

OKAY, BUT HOW DOES THE GENIUS WORK?

13 players. Every round, someone's eliminated following a Main Match and a Death Match.

The Main Match is a game that all the players will have to play in order to win, and the Death Match is only played by the elimination candidates. The winner(s) of the Main Match will get a Token of Life, which is a form of immunity from elimination, as well as a number of transferable Garnets. Garnets can be used in various Matches to gain an advantage. The worst performer in the Main Match is automatically sent to the Death Match, and is allowed to choose their opponent. However, they cannot choose a person with a Token of Life. The loser of a Death Match is eliminated, and the winner then proceeds to take their Garnets.

Each contestant must figure out the rules of each game, its secrets, and how they can win as quickly as possible. Contestants are encouraged to use every means to survive. Players may join forces with others, betray them or simply eliminate their competitors, to either create a "beautiful defeat" or an "ugly victory".

ALRIGHT, BUT HOW IS THIS GOING TO WORK AS A FORUM GAME?

Main Matches are 3 to 7 days long, Death Matches are 24 to 48 hours long. Open BTSC. Players PM me if they want to transfer Garnets.

The really tricky, but in my opinion, incredibly rewarding part of doing this is organizing the Main Matches.

Essentially, imagine a game of mafia where every single day had a new, completely different format. That's something similar to what I'm attempting.

______________________________________________________________________________________

Here's a list of the planned Main Matches, a brief one-sentence description of each one, and the season of The Genius it comes from.

ROUND ONE - FOOD CHAIN - SEASON TWO

Each player is secretly assigned an animal identity, and must fulfill their specific win conditions without either being eaten (if they are prey) or starving to death (if they are predators).

ROUND TWO - JURY GAME - SEASON THREE

Each player becomes either a citizen or a criminal; the group must succesfully form a jury without being infiltrated by criminals.

ROUND THREE - MIDDLE RACE - SEASON THREE

Each player must manuever their positioning on a race-track to ensure they end the "race" in the median place.

ROUND FOUR - ZOMBIE GAME - SEASON ONE

Two players are secretly chosen as zombies, and the others must attempt to avoid being infected by them while gaining points.

ROUND FIVE - SCAMMING HORSE RACE - SEASON ONE

Players receive clues as to the predetermined outcome of a horse race, which they must successfully bet on in order to win.

ROUND SIX - CATCH THE BURGLAR - SEASON ONE

Players are divided into two villages that must identify and cast out the "thief" before everyone's gold is stolen.

ROUND SEVEN - SEED POKER - SEASON FOUR

15 numbered cards are distributed, and players must collect cards which add up to the largest possible sum; meanwhile, more and more cards are gradually revealed.

ROUND EIGHT - INVESTMENT AND DONATION - SEASON THREE

Players must either invest or donate a limited amount of money over multiple rounds without getting accused of being a "miser."

ROUND NINE - EXPRESSION AUCTION - SEASON ONE

Players must bid on and trade numbers and equation signs to form an expression that equals ten.

ROUND TEN - MEXICAN STANDOFF - ORIGINAL CREATION

Each player must shoot and eliminate their opponents while managing to avoid being shot themselves.

ROUND ELEVEN - ELEVATOR GAME - SEASON TWO

On a board with 100 numbered spaces, players secretly vote to move a token towards their pre-selected numbers, while avoiding "elevators" that transport the token to different locations.

ROUND TWELVE - DEATH MATCH SHOWDOWN - ALL SEASONS

The final two compete in multiple advanced versions of Death Matches; the first one to win two Death Matches wins the game.

______________________________________________________________________________________

I'm keeping the list of Death Matches a secret for now.

As you can gather from those extremely limited descriptions, these "Matches" are intensive, time-consuming experiences that require a high level of activity from players. (In some instances, even after they are eliminated.)

I realize that, to a certain degree, the stars will have to align for me to pull this all off, but I'm willing to chance it in order to produce what I think is a kickass game.

Feel free to tell me what you think of this crazy (albeit less crazy than A Mafia Year (RIP)) idea.
Last edited by insertnamehere on Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:05 pm, edited 4 times in total.
WILD AT HEART MAFIA
viewtopic.php?f=33&t=1679

Spoiler: show

Image Image Image
Golden
The Coward
Posts in topic: 7

Re: The Genius Mafia {HEIST}

Post by Golden »

Brilliant inh. I am SO in.

I literally want to quit my job to make a NZ version of this show.

I actually have all four seasons on my PC, subtitled. They are harder and harder to find these days.

Everyone should watch the Genius tbh :nicenod:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Canucklehead wrote:Civ Golden is a hurricane of self-assurance.
G-Man wrote: Coward
Golden
The Coward

Post by Golden »

Zombie Game is basically mafia.
Golden
The Coward

Post by Golden »

I agree with your suggestion to run this as a special game, btw. And if you wanted to run this as less mafia, more Genius, I'd be happy to help you find a way to make that work (even if it meant sacrificing playing, which would kind of suck).
insertnamehere
Made Man

Post by insertnamehere »

Golden wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:53 pm Brilliant inh. I am SO in.

I literally want to quit my job to make a NZ version of this show.

I actually have all four seasons on my PC, subtitled. They are harder and harder to find these days.

Everyone should watch the Genius tbh :nicenod:
It's the BEST. I've been itching to make this into a forum game ever since I saw it, but I just recently built up the nerve.

In fact, I've been playtesting a few Genius challenges in my current game, Fire Walk With Me Mafia. DH and LC are currently in the middle of a heated version of the Truth Detector Death Match from the Season Two finale.

Unfortunately, it seems to be too "brainy" for everywhere else in the world. I'd give a large sum of money to go to the alternate universe where there's a version of this show in every friggin' country.
WILD AT HEART MAFIA

Image Image Image
Golden
The Coward

Post by Golden »

But how did you find out about it?
insertnamehere
Made Man

Post by insertnamehere »

Golden wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:56 pm Zombie Game is basically mafia.
Golden wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:59 pm I agree with your suggestion to run this as a special game, btw. And if you wanted to run this as less mafia, more Genius, I'd be happy to help you find a way to make that work (even if it meant sacrificing playing, which would kind of suck).
I mean, players aren't given any over-arching roles, and there aren't any built-in teams, so this technically qualifies as less of a "mafia" than even Survivor Mafia, despite being, in my opinion, in the same neck of the game-theory woods. However, I did try to incorporate games from the show which are similar to mafia to try and ease the culture shock. (Food Chain, Zombie Game, Jury Game, and Middle Race all have mafia-ish elements.) Unfortunately, due to the limits of forum games, I was unable to utilize certain challenges (anything with hackable props, for instance).

There are two major things with this game that I'm worried about. One is simply timing-related. Some of the Matches, especially in the second half of the game, have so many rounds that finishing them in 48 hours when people can't be relied upon to always be online, seems next to impossible. Certain challenges may have to occur via Chatzy or IRC during a determined time when everyone is available. The pacing in that scenario would be almost as brisk as the show's.

The second thing that stresses me out is being able to successfully explain each and every challenge to the point where everyone involved understands what the hell is going on. The show uses extensive graphics and practice rounds, which I may not be able to successfully capture.

For example, I attempted to recreate the first ever challenge in the show, the 1-2-3 game, in Fire Walk With Me Mafia. It...got off to a sloppy start. No one seemed to quite understand the procedures of the game, and I got spammed with PM's about card transfers, challenges, and whatnot to the point where keeping track of who had what cards got tricky. Luckily, I was able to get everything sorted out, but that's the kind of sitation I'm worried about here.

I do plan on compiling as detailed of explanations as possible for each challenge, and hopefully with some effort, pre-planning, and graphical snazziness, I can successfully communicate the rules and regulations of each Match to each player.
WILD AT HEART MAFIA

Image Image Image
insertnamehere
Made Man

Post by insertnamehere »

Golden wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 11:02 pm But how did you find out about it?
I think I may have read about it on the Survivor subreddit, or heard about it on RHAP. I crave this kind of game-theory-based social manipulation type stuff to the point where I try to seek out as much of it as possible, wherever I can get it.
WILD AT HEART MAFIA

Image Image Image
insertnamehere
Made Man

Post by insertnamehere »

Who exactly does a guy have to talk to around here to get the keys to a shiny new Special Game? Do I need to know a special password or handshake? Is there some kind of "Syndicate loyalty test" or something?
WILD AT HEART MAFIA

Image Image Image
Golden
The Coward

Post by Golden »

RHAP was the only answer I could have imagined, I was wondering if it had found another entry point into the western world.
Golden
The Coward

Post by Golden »

insertnamehere wrote: Wed Mar 21, 2018 12:10 am Who exactly does a guy have to talk to around here to get the keys to a shiny new Special Game? Do I need to know a special password or handshake? Is there some kind of "Syndicate loyalty test" or something?
I think the test is just that you have to be batshit crazy.
DharmaHelper
Capo Regime (Street Boss)
Posts in topic: 1

Post by DharmaHelper »

What fuckery
our Linkitis is our lives.

ImageImage
ImageImage
Golden
The Coward

Post by Golden »

Seriously though everybody, follow that link, download the first episode... and get hooked. It’s an amazing show.
Scotty
Jeff
Posts in topic: 1
Preferred Pronouns: He/him

Post by Scotty »

This sounds amazing. Why have I never heard of this show? I would be so down to play this.
When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather;
not screaming like the people in his car
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImage
insertnamehere
Made Man

Post by insertnamehere »

Link to the first episode in a playlist with all of Season 1:

For those who were in Fire Walk With Me Mafia, it features the same challenge involving card duels that I used on Day 5.
WILD AT HEART MAFIA

Image Image Image

Return to “Mafia Game Submission Archive”