Moderator: Community Team

Russtifinko
Money Launderer
Posts in topic: 8
Preferred Pronouns: he/him/his

The Hobbit Mafia [FULL GAME}

Post by Russtifinko »

Hello everyone!

I've decided to break into the hosting business (you guys do get paid, right?), and to do so I'll be adapting one of my favorite books ever, the Hobbit, to mafia. Here's a brief description of roles:
Civvies
Win Conditions: defeat Smaug and all the baddies, and win back the Dwarves' ancestral home and treasure!
No BTSC, except where noted.

Bilbo Baggins
Possessor of the Ring and the dwarves' burglar, despite being a homebody. Initially doubted by the dwarves, he continually goes up in their estimation.
Gains +1 vote every 3 Day periods. May have the opportunity to burgle from Smaug.

Gandalf
Wizard and friend to Bilbo and the dwarves. Known for his smoke rings and fireworks. Wields the sword Glamdring, the Foe-Hammer, known to the Goblin Town Goblins as Beater.
May send messages to players via PM nightly. Also knows magic spells. (Secret)

Beorn
A shapeshifter who lives east of the Misty Mountains. Dislikes dwarves, but despises goblins and wargs.
Twice per game, may transform into a bear. As a bear he may opt to kill, or to protect 3 players from Night actions.

Bard
Lake Town resident, charismatic leader, and valiant archer. Also Smaug's killer.
(Secret)

Thorin Oakenshield
King of the Dwarves, rightful ruler of the Lonely Mountain, experienced fighter, and leader of the expedition to defeat Smaug.
Protects a player nightly with his oaken shield. (Secret)

Other Dwarves

Kili
Brother of Fili. The two youngest dwarves have the sharpest eyes of the group.
Uses his good sight to see manipulations during votes. Targets a player once per day and learns what their vote counted for.

Fili
Brother of Kili. The two youngest dwarves have the sharpest eyes of the group.
Uses his good sight to see what happens at night. Targets a player and sees who else targeted them during the same Night.

Dwalin
Brother of Balin and one of the two eldest dwarves.
Because he is so old and wise, he is an experienced riddler. May receive hints to riddles during the game.

Balin
Brother of Dwalin and one of the two eldest dwarves.
Deferred to by the other dwarves. He does not carry a pack and thus walks ahead, receiving information on night polls.

Bifur
Cousin of Bofur and Bombur.
Is often overlooked, and thus will not be affected by non-kill night powers.

Bofur
Brother of Bombur. Often winds up in the rearguard for this reason.
Prevents a player from voting in night polls or answering riddles every night.

Bombur
Brother of Bofur. Fattest, slowest dwarf, tends to sleep through important events.
Forces a player to carry him every night, rendering them incapable of carrying out other night actions.

Dori
Brother of Nori and Ori.
BTSC with Nori and Ori. As long as all 3 brothers survive, they may add 1 to any player's vote total per day. If 2 brothers survive, they may add .5 instead.

Nori
Brother of Dori and Ori.
BTSC with Dori and Ori. As long as all 3 brothers survive, they may add 1 to any player's vote total per day. If 2 brothers survive, they may add .5 instead.

Ori
Brother of Dori and Nori.
BTSC with Dori and Nori. As long as all 3 brothers survive, they may add 1 to any player's vote total per day. If 2 brothers survive, they may add .5 instead.

Oin
Brother of Gloin. Noted for his skill at firemaking.
Lights a fire each night that interrupts BTSC. Targeted player/player's group loses any BTSC for the next day period.

Gloin
Brother of Oin. Noted for his skill at firemaking.
Stokes a fire each night, which illuminates clandestine conversation and makes public a random snippet of BTSC.

Indies
Win Conditions: survive to the end.
No BTSC.

Gollum
A pitiful, miserable creature and the owner of a Ring of Power (these facts are connected). Lives alone in a cave, eating raw fish and practicing riddles.
Secret

Mayor of Lake Town
Men's hearts are greedy and lust after gold. Their loyalty is for sale. The influential Mayor is no exception.
The Mayor accepts bids for his vote, which is worth 3, nightly. He can use the gold he earns to buy armor and gain protections.

Smith of Lake Town
Men's hearts are greedy and lust after gold. Their loyalty is for sale.
Accept bids for his vote nightly. (Secret).

Baker of Lake Town

Lake Town Gossip

Lake Town Drunk

Wood Elves
Win Conditions: Wood Elves begin as an indy team, able to win with any team. Their alignment may change based on Wood Elf Points, which quantify their relationship with other factions.
Have BTSC with each other.

Wood Elf King
Ruler of the Wood-Elves, he engages in trade, but is distrustful and slow to form friendships.
Sends Gold to a player of his choice nightly. (Gives Wood Elf points as well.)

Wood Elf Scout
Protects the borders of the Elven settlement east of Mirkwood, especailly against giant spiders.
Redirects night actions taken against the target to a random player. Gives Wood Elf Points if successful.

Wood Elf Gaoler
Protects the Wood Elves from men and other thieves who would have their treasure.
Jails a player nightly, rendering them unable to post or vote the next Day. Subtracts Wood Elf Points if successful. (Secret).

Wood Elf Vintner
Makes the Wood-Elves' (in)famous wine, the effects of which are notorious.
Invites a player to drink with him nightly. The vintage is unknown to the recipient. Is insulted if a player refuses his offering. (Secret).

Goblin Town Goblins
Win Conditions: Outnumber or kill the Dwarves and their allies, kill the rival Moria Goblins, and defeat Smaug.
Have BTSC.

The Great Goblin
Ruler of Goblin Town, deep in the Misty Mountains.
Directs the kill for his team on odd nights. This power will pass to his appointed successor if he dies. (Secret.)

Goblin Torturer
Goblin specializing in making and using instruments of torture.
Insanifies a player each night.

Goblin Thief
A sticky-fingered goblin.
Robs a player (except Smaug) of their Gold nightly.

Goblin Sapper
Goblin with an affinity for fire and explosives.
(Secret).

Goblin Inventor
Goblin who creates mechanical devices with devious purposes.
Creates items such as armor and weapons for his tribe.

Moria Goblins
Win Conditions: outnumber or kill the Dwarves and their allies, kill the rival Goblin Town goblins, and defeat Smaug.
Have BTSC.

Bolg
A fearsome albino goblin warrior, who killed Thorin's father outside of Moria.
Directs his team's kill on even nights (the kills continue if he dies, however). (Secret.)

Bolg's Warg
Chieftain of the Wargs, the steeds of the goblins. Albino like Bolg, it is a fearsome, wolflike beast.
May injure a player's pony each night. The player will have to walk the next day and will be too tired to vote.

Goblin Sapper
Every night, can plant bombs on other players. These have a 1/3 chance of killing a voter at random if the chosen player is lynched.

The Necromancer
A shadowy, ominous presence that rules the southern reaches of Mirkwood.
Every second Night, may turn his Eye upon a player, learning their role. (Secrets.)

Rogue
Win Conditions: kill everyone to protect your treasure.

Smaug the Dragon
Also known as Smaug the Deceiver, this fat dragon hoards a fortune in gold and precious jewels under the Lonely Mountain. Though only remembered by the dwarves and the oldest residents of Lake Town, this mythical creature is still the terror of the East. He is covered in impenetrable armor and can breathe gouts of flame.
Secret

Right now we're looking at 37 roles, though that can be cut to close to 30 if there are problems getting enough people to join.

The story picks up just east of the Misty Mountains, after a daring escape by Bilbo, Gandalf, Thorin, and company, as the group arrives at Beorn's house. Night polls have various results and may not occur every night. There will be riddles some nights as well, with rewards for correct answers.

One unusual thing is, because of Gloin's power, I will need access to all BTSC chats, so I will likely make it mandatory that we use Chatzy for those. If you don't like it, don't be a baddie. :p Another note is that teams may not pool gold in this game, even if they have BTSC. Each individual player earns or receives their own gold.

This will be a complex game, so I'm expecting to have my hands full as a first-time host. I'm really looking forward to it and hope you guys are as excited as I am!
Last edited by Russtifinko on Fri May 16, 2014 5:14 am, edited 27 times in total.
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
Mister Rearranger
Drug Dealer
Posts in topic: 2

Re: The Hobbit Mafia [FULL GAME}

Post by Mister Rearranger »

Looks cool, man!

When I submitted my game, I felt like the site was having a drought or something. Now I realize everyone was just saving up their awesome ideas for now! :D
We find comfort among those who agree with us - growth among those who don't.

Russtifinko
Money Launderer

Post by Russtifinko »

Thanks! I have to figure out how to add pictures to it, too. I think the Hosting Thread kind of inspired everyone to speed up their work so they don't have to wait 2 years to host! :p

I'm not really familiar with Flash personally, but your game looks really fun! Anything that says "as close to civ as there will be in this game" makes me really intrigued.
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
Mister Rearranger
Drug Dealer
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Mister Rearranger »

Russtifinko wrote: I'm not really familiar with Flash personally, but your game looks really fun! Anything that says "as close to civ as there will be in this game" makes me really intrigued.
Yeah, I tried to make it friendly to anyone, even if they're not into Flash or comics in general. But I always thought Flash villains were very complex and multifaceted, so they should make for a very different kind of game.

Thanks for the encouragement! :)
We find comfort among those who agree with us - growth among those who don't.

thellama73
Supatown
Posts in topic: 4

Post by thellama73 »

Why only eight dwarves? The fact that there were twelve plus Gandalf is the whole reason Bilbo came along in the first place.

I love the Hobbit and would definitely play this.
Epignosis wrote:If llama is good, it means we exist in a universe in which multitasking llama can call out the first of two mafia while simultaneously calling out two civilians.

I don't want to live in that universe.
Spoiler: show
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Russtifinko
Money Launderer

Post by Russtifinko »

Yup! Not to worry, all twelve will be there. I promise more than one baddie (more than one baddie team, actually) and some more fun roles too! I just ran out of time to post them all today.

I'd be excited to have you play! :D
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
Mongoose
Your Neighborhood Friendly Mongoose
Posts in topic: 1
Preferred Pronouns: She/her/hers
Aka: Alison

Post by Mongoose »

Cool! Can you add some girl hobbits.
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImage
Roxy
Hitman
Preferred Pronouns: She, Her, Whore if ya know me

Post by Roxy »

Fuck yah!! I adore The Hobbit. My dad had a first edition as a boy from `37 that he gave to me. Its a beautiful book with artwork. While reading it I used to daydream about The Shire and Avallone. I had started a Hobbit game for RM but they have not had a poll in forever so its likely it will never be played. Now I can play this one!

Great idea Russti!
;)
thellama73
Supatown

Post by thellama73 »

Mongoose wrote:Cool! Can you add some girl hobbits.
Like Lobelia Sackville-Baggins? No thanks!
Epignosis wrote:If llama is good, it means we exist in a universe in which multitasking llama can call out the first of two mafia while simultaneously calling out two civilians.

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
bea
Racketeer
Preferred Pronouns: She/her
Aka: Some call me.....Jen. But most call me Bea.

Post by bea »

I'm pretty stoked about this game too :D
I was born to speak all mirth and no matter.... :wine:
Epignosis wrote:Bitch, my identity is my identity theft protection!
thellama73
Supatown

Post by thellama73 »

Also, I love that you are using images from the 70's animated Hobbit. Highly underrated in my opinion.

Tangrowth
Don Emeritum
Preferred Pronouns: they/any
Aka: tangy

Post by Tangrowth »

YES! So glad to see this finally fleshed out. Can't wait to play!
Russtifinko
Money Launderer

Post by Russtifinko »

thellama73 wrote:Also, I love that you are using images from the 70's animated Hobbit. Highly underrated in my opinion.
Thanks, llama (and everyone)! Not all the images will be from that, but I think it's highly underrated as well.

Mongoose, I am actually experimenting with a mechanic to get Lobelia in, but I'd probably only do that if the response was overwhelming and I thought we could get 40+ players, which I think is highly improbable. Otherwise poor Bilbo would be beset on all sides and probably lose.
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
Russtifinko
Money Launderer

Post by Russtifinko »

Roxy wrote:Fuck yah!! I adore The Hobbit. My dad had a first edition as a boy from `37 that he gave to me. Its a beautiful book with artwork. While reading it I used to daydream about The Shire and Avallone. I had started a Hobbit game for RM but they have not had a poll in forever so its likely it will never be played. Now I can play this one!

Great idea Russti!
I forgot to respond to this post before. That's SO cool that you had a first edition copy, Rox. And it's a bummer your game never got off the ground! Hopefully this one lives up to your high expectations. :D
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
Russtifinko
Money Launderer

Post by Russtifinko »

Welp, everything's up! I reserve the right to make minor tweaks, though. Let me know what you guys think, and make sure to vote for this in the hosting poll if you like what you see!
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
thellama73
Supatown

Post by thellama73 »

This looks awesome. 37 is an awful lot of roles though. I'm glad to see you're open to the possibility of cutting some, because I think we will have a hard time signing up close to forty people for any game, even one as cool as this, not to mention the time it would take to play.

S~V~S
Captain Obvious
It’s my birthday

Post by S~V~S »

i played a 50 player game once, if the topic is as popular as that was (it was a LOST theme) it can be done (and Tolkien is always popular). I have played 35 player games too. They don't last all that much longer, they tend to have more kills.
Skip softly, my moonbeams, for I have heard tell
That the stairs up to heaven lead straight down to hell
Russtifinko
Money Launderer

Post by Russtifinko »

Yeah, mine could have up to 2 kills a night, or more depending on Beorn. I know 37 is really optimistic, but I'd be just as happy at 30 if it comes to that.
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
Hedgeowl
Money Launderer

Post by Hedgeowl »

I would definitely play this. Awesome looking first game sir Russti!
Turnip Head wrote: We need to lynch Pennsylvania Bitch.
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
Russtifinko
Money Launderer

Post by Russtifinko »

Russtifinko wrote:Hello everyone!

I've decided to break into the hosting business (you guys do get paid, right?), and to do so I'll be adapting one of my favorite books ever, the Hobbit, to mafia. Here's a brief description of roles:
Civvies
Win Conditions: defeat Smaug and all the baddies, and win back the Dwarves' ancestral home and treasure!
No BTSC, except where noted.

Bilbo Baggins
Possessor of the Ring and the dwarves' burglar, despite being a homebody. Initially doubted by the dwarves, he continually goes up in their estimation.
Gains +1 vote every 3 Day periods. May have the opportunity to burgle from Smaug.

Gandalf
Wizard and friend to Bilbo and the dwarves. Known for his smoke rings and fireworks. Wields the sword Glamdring, the Foe-Hammer, known to the Goblin Town Goblins as Beater.
May send messages to players via PM nightly. Also knows magic spells. (Secret)

Beorn
A shapeshifter who lives east of the Misty Mountains. Dislikes dwarves, but despises goblins and wargs.
Twice per game, may transform into a bear. As a bear he may opt to kill, or to protect 3 players from Night actions.

Bard
Lake Town resident, charismatic leader, and valiant archer. Also Smaug's killer.
(Secret)

Thorin Oakenshield
King of the Dwarves, rightful ruler of the Lonely Mountain, experienced fighter, and leader of the expedition to defeat Smaug.
Protects a player nightly with his oaken shield. (Secret)

Other Dwarves

Kili
Brother of Fili. The two youngest dwarves have the sharpest eyes of the group.
Uses his good sight to see manipulations during votes. Targets a player once per day and learns what their vote counted for.

Fili
Brother of Kili. The two youngest dwarves have the sharpest eyes of the group.
Uses his good sight to see what happens at night. Targets a player and sees who else targeted them during the same Night.

Dwalin
Brother of Balin and one of the two eldest dwarves.
Because he is so old and wise, he is an experienced riddler. May receive hints to riddles during the game.

Balin
Brother of Dwalin and one of the two eldest dwarves.
Deferred to by the other dwarves. He does not carry a pack and thus walks ahead, receiving information on night polls.

Bifur
Cousin of Bofur and Bombur.
Is often overlooked, and thus will not be affected by non-kill night powers.

Bofur
Brother of Bombur. Often winds up in the rearguard for this reason.
Prevents a player from voting in night polls or answering riddles every night.

Bombur
Brother of Bofur. Fattest, slowest dwarf, tends to sleep through important events.
Forces a player to carry him every night, rendering them incapable of carrying out other night actions.

Dori
Brother of Nori and Ori.
BTSC with Nori and Ori. As long as all 3 brothers survive, they may add 1 to any player's vote total per day. If 2 brothers survive, they may add .5 instead.

Nori
Brother of Dori and Ori.
BTSC with Dori and Ori. As long as all 3 brothers survive, they may add 1 to any player's vote total per day. If 2 brothers survive, they may add .5 instead.

Ori
Brother of Dori and Nori.
BTSC with Dori and Nori. As long as all 3 brothers survive, they may add 1 to any player's vote total per day. If 2 brothers survive, they may add .5 instead.

Oin
Brother of Gloin. Noted for his skill at firemaking.
Lights a fire each night that interrupts BTSC. Targeted player/player's group loses any BTSC for the next day period.

Gloin
Brother of Oin. Noted for his skill at firemaking.
Stokes a fire each night, which illuminates clandestine conversation and makes public a random snippet of BTSC.

Indies
Win Conditions: survive to the end.
No BTSC.

Gollum
A pitiful, miserable creature and the owner of a Ring of Power (these facts are connected). Lives alone in a cave, eating raw fish and practicing riddles.
Secret

Mayor of Lake Town
Men's hearts are greedy and lust after gold. Their loyalty is for sale. The influential Mayor is no exception.
The Mayor accepts bids for his vote, which is worth 3, nightly. He can use the gold he earns to buy armor and gain protections.

Smith of Lake Town

Baker of Lake Town

Lake Town Gossip

Lake Town Drunk

Wood Elves
Win Conditions: Wood Elves begin as an indy team, able to win with any team. Their alignment may change based on Wood Elf Points, which quantify their relationship with other factions.
Have BTSC with each other.

Wood Elf King
Ruler of the Wood-Elves, he engages in trade, but is distrustful and slow to form friendships.
Sends Gold to a player of his choice nightly. (Gives Wood Elf points as well.)

Wood Elf Scout
Protects the borders of the Elven settlement east of Mirkwood, especailly against giant spiders.
Redirects night actions taken against the target to a random player. Gives Wood Elf Points if successful.

Wood Elf Gaoler
Protects the Wood Elves from men and other thieves who would have their treasure.
Jails a player nightly, rendering them unable to post or vote the next Day. Subtracts Wood Elf Points if successful. (Secret).

Wood Elf Vintner
Makes the Wood-Elves' (in)famous wine, the effects of which are notorious.
Invites a player to drink with him nightly. The vintage is unknown to the recipient. Is insulted if a player refuses his offering. (Secret).

Goblin Town Goblins
Win Conditions: Outnumber or kill the Dwarves and their allies, kill the rival Moria Goblins, and defeat Smaug.
Have BTSC.

The Great Goblin
Ruler of Goblin Town, deep in the Misty Mountains.
Directs the kill for his team on odd nights. This power will pass to his appointed successor if he dies. (Secret.)

Goblin Torturer
Goblin specializing in making and using instruments of torture.
Insanifies a player each night.

Goblin Thief
A sticky-fingered goblin.
Robs a player (except Smaug) of their Gold nightly.

Goblin Sapper
(Secret).

Goblin Inventor
Goblin who creates mechanical devices with devious purposes.
Creates items such as armor and weapons for his tribe.

Moria Goblins
Win Conditions: outnumber or kill the Dwarves and their allies, kill the rival Goblin Town goblins, and defeat Smaug.
Have BTSC.

Bolg
A fearsome albino goblin warrior, who killed Thorin's father outside of Moria.
Directs his team's kill on even nights (the kills continue if he dies, however). (Secret.)

Bolg's Warg
Chieftain of the Wargs, the steeds of the goblins. Albino like Bolg, it is a fearsome, wolflike beast.
May injure a player's pony each night. The player will have to walk the next day and will be too tired to vote.

Goblin Sapper
Every night, can plant bombs on other players. These have a 1/3 chance of killing a voter at random if the chosen player is lynched.

The Necromancer
A shadowy, ominous presence that rules the southern reaches of Mirkwood.
Every second Night, may turn his Eye upon a player, learning their role. (Secrets.)

Rogue
Win Conditions: kill everyone to protect your treasure.

Smaug the Dragon
Also known as Smaug the Deceiver, this fat dragon hoards a fortune in gold and precious jewels under the Lonely Mountain. Though only remembered by the dwarves and the oldest residents of Lake Town, this mythical creature is still the terror of the East. He is covered in impenetrable armor and can breathe gouts of flame.
Secret

Right now we're looking at 37 roles, though that can be cut to close to 30 if there are problems getting enough people to join.

The story picks up just east of the Misty Mountains, after a daring escape by Bilbo, Gandalf, Thorin, and company, as the group arrives at Beorn's house. Night polls have various results and may not occur every night. There will be riddles some nights as well, with rewards for correct answers.

One unusual thing is, because of Gloin's power, I will need access to all BTSC chats, so I will likely make it mandatory that we use Chatzy for those. If you don't like it, don't be a baddie. :p Another note is that teams may not pool gold in this game, even if they have BTSC. Each individual player earns or receives their own gold.

This will be a complex game, so I'm expecting to have my hands full as a first-time host. I'm really looking forward to it and hope you guys are as excited as I am!
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage

Return to “Mafia Game Submission Archive”