RIP RYM OT

Kick back and relax at The Lounge, where you can discuss any other matter related to mafia games or The Syndicate. Mafia game strategists, look no further!

Moderator: Community Team

JaggedJimmyJay
The Brassiere of The Syndicate
Posts in topic: 8
Preferred Pronouns: He/him/his/himself
Aka: Jay | JJJ | J3 | 3J | jagged | Jimmy | KOFM

Re: The Syndicate's Sister Sites

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

Haha, and just like that... RIP RYM Mafia

I hope The Syndicate is accepting refugees. :P
Spoiler: show
Overall: 73-57 (.56) | Town 49-41 (.54) | Mafia 18-11 (.62) | Independent 6-4 (.60)

The Syndicate: Town 23-26; Mafia 10-5; Indy 5-1 | RateYourMusic: Town 14-13; Mafia 5-4; Indy 0-3 | Mafia Universe: Town 6-0; Mafia 1-0 | Student Doctor Network: Town 2-1; Mafia 1-0 | HeroClixRealms: Town 1-0; Mafia 0-1 | Bulbagarden: Mafia 0-1; Indy 1-0 | 2+2 POG: Town 1-0 | Naruto Forums: Town 0-1 | Personality Café: Town 1-0 | Vendetta Strada: Town 0-1 | Mafia451: Town 1-0 | Wintreath: Mafia 1-0

Awards:

The Syndicate

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Student Doctor Network

ImageImageImageImageImage

Rate Your Music

Best Townie, Maffies 4, 8 and 9
Best Scum, Maffies 3
Best Moderator, Maffies 8 and 9
Most Valuable Player, Maffies 7 and 9
Best Roleplay, Maffies 4 and 6
Spirit Award, Maffies 9
Hall of Fame inductee, Maffies 4

Mafia Universe

Mafia Championship Finalist, 2015 and 2020
Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage[-Mass Effect Mafia banner-]ImageImageImageImage
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum
Posts in topic: 6
Preferred Pronouns: any/all
Aka: Tangy

RIP RYM OT

Post by Tangrowth »

This deserves its own thread. It's a sad day.

:rip:
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Re: RIP RYM OT

Post by Tangrowth »

I had the Sister Site thread locked, so that's part of the reason I moved your post here, Jay. Also felt this deserved its own thread. I can't believe the news. Reading sharifi's post I apparently was unaware of all the issues he was encountering. I had a lot of fun at least in my limited experience playing mafia there and lurking in the OT forums.

Of course, RYM Mafia brethren are more than welcome here. :guitar: :sax: :drums:

Why couldn't this have happened before I worked on that Sister Site thread though? :P Just kidding. I'll at least keep you all in there for now to preserve the memory. :srsnod:
JaggedJimmyJay

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

There's still an outside chance it can resurface if they open up more specific topic-oriented OT boards as they've discussed for a book board. An OT games board of some kind would be fine for Mafia. But it's a long shot and even if it happens it'll be a while.

We had a good run. I'm glad we found friends here before it was too late.

The OT board definitely was the source of some drama and problems for the site administration, so I don't fault them for this. Mafia was just caught in the crossfire unfortunately.
Overall: 73-57 (.56) | Town 49-41 (.54) | Mafia 18-11 (.62) | Independent 6-4 (.60)

The Syndicate: Town 23-26; Mafia 10-5; Indy 5-1 | RateYourMusic: Town 14-13; Mafia 5-4; Indy 0-3 | Mafia Universe: Town 6-0; Mafia 1-0 | Student Doctor Network: Town 2-1; Mafia 1-0 | HeroClixRealms: Town 1-0; Mafia 0-1 | Bulbagarden: Mafia 0-1; Indy 1-0 | 2+2 POG: Town 1-0 | Naruto Forums: Town 0-1 | Personality Café: Town 1-0 | Vendetta Strada: Town 0-1 | Mafia451: Town 1-0 | Wintreath: Mafia 1-0

Awards:

The Syndicate

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Student Doctor Network

Rate Your Music

Best Scum, Maffies 3
Spirit Award, Maffies 9

Mafia Universe

Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage[-Mass Effect Mafia banner-]ImageImageImageImage
Ricochet
Uomini D'onore (Man of Honor)
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Ricochet »

Sorry to hear this. From the looks of it, it seems it was a necessary step. Will it stay this way even after RYM's makeover? I do hope, as well, that a smaller board solution will be found for y'all mafiosos.

If not... we still have the cells available, don't we, MP? :shifty:

Anyway, as far as the mafia community goes, I think you are an upstanding ensemble and I have a great time playing with you all both here and over there. Oh right, wow, I actually managed to play on the very last mafia game before this shutdown... and almost won, too (curse you siggy :fist:).
Sloonei
Cap'n Sloonbeard
Preferred Pronouns: he/his/him

Post by Sloonei »

We'll fall a few games shy of 100. :( OT was a fun place for a long time but this is probably a necessary move on Sharifi and co.'s part.

Thanks to all you Syndicats who joined us for games over there.
My banners:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
JaggedJimmyJay

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

Strawhenge is already trying to salvage some of whatever's left, including Mafia. I'm not sure how likely this is to survive, but he's trying and that's neat.

Awards:

The Syndicate

Student Doctor Network

Rate Your Music

Best Scum, Maffies 3
Spirit Award, Maffies 9

Mafia Universe

Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

Golden
The Coward
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Golden »

I wish I had played the last mafia game there. I'm sorry that my time was too little just at that point in time.

I'll really miss RYM mafia, and I hope many of that community find their way here. It's a great bunch.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Canucklehead wrote:Civ Golden is a hurricane of self-assurance.
G-Man wrote: Coward
S~V~S
Captain Obvious
Posts in topic: 2

Post by S~V~S »

JaggedJimmyJay wrote:Strawhenge is already trying to salvage some of whatever's left, including Mafia. I'm not sure how likely this is to survive, but he's trying and that's neat.
Good for him, I hope it takes off.
Skip softly, my moonbeams, for I have heard tell
That the stairs up to heaven lead straight down to hell
Sloonei
Cap'n Sloonbeard

Post by Sloonei »

Lol, the last game there was Maphia.
My banners:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
Quin
Indecent Bastard
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Quin »

That's a shame. I heard people talking about RYM a few weeks back so I tried to find their mafia boards but never had any luck. But what they said about trying to start again with a more defined purpose sounds like it'd work out a lot better.
Lunalee wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 9:13 amQuin's ISO is full of posts that are actually trying to be helpful to the game. This doesn't look like town Quin.
ImageImageImageImage
juliets
Dancing Pancake
Preferred Pronouns: she/her/hers
Aka: jules

Post by juliets »

S~V~S wrote:
JaggedJimmyJay wrote:Strawhenge is already trying to salvage some of whatever's left, including Mafia. I'm not sure how likely this is to survive, but he's trying and that's neat.
I went to the link but couldnt read the posts. Do you have to be a member to read through whats been posted?
JaggedJimmyJay wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 3:24 pm Always good to remember that there is no such thing as a Mafia circumstance that is worth real human emotion. Sometimes it will naturally come out, but it can be contained if we just remember that this is a game on a message board forum that 99.99% of the population of the Earth has never heard of before. No matter how successful anyone is, it means just about nothing.

ImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
JaggedJimmyJay

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

juliets wrote:
S~V~S wrote:
I went to the link but couldnt read the posts. Do you have to be a member to read through whats been posted?
Yes, it appears that way. There are currently about 5 posts on the entire board though. :p

Awards:

The Syndicate

Student Doctor Network

Rate Your Music

Best Scum, Maffies 3
Spirit Award, Maffies 9

Mafia Universe

Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

Golden
The Coward

Post by Golden »

I'm forever going to be seen as a super early adopter on that site.

I think thats the soonest I've ever been a member of anything.
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

Golden wrote:I wish I had played the last mafia game there. I'm sorry that my time was too little just at that point in time.

I'll really miss RYM mafia, and I hope many of that community find their way here. It's a great bunch.
+1
Quin
Indecent Bastard

Post by Quin »

Golden wrote:I'm forever going to be seen as a super early adopter on that site.

When I made an account I didn't even get the feel-good of seeing myself as the newest member, since MP made his apparently at the same time. :shrug2:
Lunalee wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 9:13 amQuin's ISO is full of posts that are actually trying to be helpful to the game. This doesn't look like town Quin.
ImageImageImageImage
Golden
The Coward

Post by Golden »

Quin wrote:
Golden wrote:I'm forever going to be seen as a super early adopter on that site.

When I made an account I didn't even get the feel-good of seeing myself as the newest member, since MP made his apparently at the same time. :shrug2:
:haha: ninja MP.
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

Quin wrote:

:mafia:
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

S~V~S wrote:
I just wanted to say that I echo this sentiment.

I said this just now on RYM before it could be locked, but I wanted to say it here as well (with the proper pronoun and other edits to make it correct):

I really enjoyed getting to know the RYM Mafia folks and playing mafia over there, even though I couldn't give it the attention it deserved due to RL and splitting my focus between playing/hosting/admining here and trying to play over there simultaneously. Getting to play RYM #84 (Peanuts) will always be one of my fondest mafia memories; it really rekindled my love for the game and taught me to reexamine the way I approached it.

I had really grown to consider the RYM OT forum my second home after TS, so despite not being a presence there in nearly the way that the rest of them were, I'm still beat up about this. I hope to see more of them all on The Syndicate, particularly those I didn't get to know that well yet, and I'm glad Strawhenge is trying to keep it alive so I'll be bound to pop in on PWYW as well.

You all really had a super awesome, tight knit group of folks at RYM Mafia.
Sloonei
Cap'n Sloonbeard

Post by Sloonei »

My banners:
ImageImageImageImage
JaggedJimmyJay

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

That game was the class of RYM roleplay. I think this was my best Mafia post, from the same game:
JaggedJimmyJay wrote:supertown jimmy could not possibly find the time to compile petty little tallies, it is beneath him. have you not heard of his amazing mafia exploits? need they be read to you from the placque under his hall of fame bust?? surely one of the little people will be able run such a small errand for you. can you feel the weight of my scoff pressing down upon you after you show such gall? were you not even speaking to the great supertown jimmy? well you need to specify so, because he cannot be bothered to assume he is not the topic of every ambiguous post! everyone is always talking about him, he is just that interesting!

Awards:

The Syndicate

Student Doctor Network

Rate Your Music

Best Scum, Maffies 3
Spirit Award, Maffies 9

Mafia Universe

Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

Quin
Indecent Bastard

Post by Quin »

ImageImageImageImage
Sloonei
Cap'n Sloonbeard

Post by Sloonei »

forsooth i cannot say
My banners:
ImageImageImageImage
Sloonei
Cap'n Sloonbeard

Post by Sloonei »

My banners:
ImageImageImageImage
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

Marmot
Marmot
Preferred Pronouns: they/them
Aka: Marmot

Post by Marmot »

JaggedJimmyJay wrote:There's still an outside chance it can resurface if they open up more specific topic-oriented OT boards as they've discussed for a book board. An OT games board of some kind would be fine for Mafia. But it's a long shot and even if it happens it'll be a while.

The OT board definitely was the source of some drama and problems for the site administration, so I don't fault them for this. Mafia was just caught in the crossfire unfortunately.
Just curious. Why don't they set up the new locations and sub-forums and such before getting rid of the OT section instead of after?

Like, when the Reds built a new stadium to play in, they built the new one before tearing down the old one, rather than after the fact. That way they could still sell tickets and have somewhere to play while the new one's under construction. :P

Banners and Stuff
My Syndicate Mafia Wins:

Full Games Civilian: Image

Mafia: Image Image Image Image

Independent: Image Image
Speed Games Civilian: Image Image Fiddler on the Roof

Heists Civilian: Image Image Image Image Image

MVP: RED vs BLUE
Burglaries Independent: The Theme Is Literally a Burglary
Special Games Civilian: Image Image Image Image

Independent: Image

My Syndicate Hosted Games:

Speed Games Image Image Image
Heists Image Image Image

Some other Banners:

2014 Sockys Image
2015 Sockys Image Image Image
Miscellaneous Image Image

Dragon D. Luffy wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 7:33 pm Just how many days of "let's yeet them tomorrow" can a mafioso survive?

The answer: all of them, if you are a marmot.
Marmot
Marmot

Post by Marmot »

Quin wrote:

I just registered for PWYW.

I was similarly victimized by sodr. :disappoint:

Banners and Stuff
My Syndicate Mafia Wins:

Heists Image Image Image

Some other Banners:

2014 Sockys Image

Dragon D. Luffy wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 7:33 pm Just how many days of "let's yeet them tomorrow" can a mafioso survive?

Sloonei
Cap'n Sloonbeard

Post by Sloonei »

Metalmarsh89 wrote:
JaggedJimmyJay wrote:There's still an outside chance it can resurface if they open up more specific topic-oriented OT boards as they've discussed for a book board. An OT games board of some kind would be fine for Mafia. But it's a long shot and even if it happens it'll be a while.

Just curious. Why don't they set up the new locations and sub-forums and such before getting rid of the OT section instead of after?

Like, when the Reds built a new stadium to play in, they built the new one before tearing down the old one, rather than after the fact. That way they could still sell tickets and have somewhere to play while the new one's under construction. :P
They've sort of done this now. They added three new OT boards for sports, tv, and literature. In the thread I linked to above one of the Admins said they're considering ways to accomodate Mafia games, but there is no solution just yet. They're usually a pretty responsive and respectful staff over there, so the fact that they're thinking of us and our silly games at all is encouraging.
My banners:
ImageImageImageImage
a2thezebra
Hitman

Post by a2thezebra »

Whew, I was afraid I was going to end up as the final host in RYMafia history.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
"wifom is best served in gallons" - Diiny
Long Con
So Divine
Preferred Pronouns: boy ones

Post by Long Con »

Wow, I'm having major flashbacks to Lostpedia and Otherville.
Golden
The Coward

Post by Golden »

Long Con wrote:Wow, I'm having major flashbacks to Lostpedia and Otherville.
Reminds me of STV. Almost exactly the same, in that mafia there got shut down due to mods not wanting to deal with it.
a2thezebra
Hitman

Post by a2thezebra »

Maphia!
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
"wifom is best served in gallons" - Diiny
Dom
mayor of gaytown

Post by Dom »

LOL

Never forget when someone deleted the All Things Mafia thread. A hard delete. Upwards of 5 times. :suspish:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Dom
mayor of gaytown

Post by Dom »

I hope you guys get your maphia back soon <3
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Long Con
So Divine

Post by Long Con »

Dom wrote:
LOL

Never forget when someone deleted the All Things Mafia thread. A hard delete. Upwards of 5 times. :suspish:
Ugh, that was much later. It was when plkrtn and his cronies went on a ban- and censorship-rampage that no one wanted or needed that Cerberus had to die and Long Con was born.

Would you guys like me more if I were named Cerberus? :D
S~V~S
Captain Obvious

Post by S~V~S »

I am used to you as LC, but if you want to change it, go for it :D
Skip softly, my moonbeams, for I have heard tell
That the stairs up to heaven lead straight down to hell
Long Con
So Divine

Post by Long Con »

S~V~S wrote:I am used to you as LC, but if you want to change it, go for it :D
No way, Long Con is much batter for Mafia! :feb:
Marmot
Marmot

Post by Marmot »

Question:

If a Back to the Future II Mafia game is hosted on PWYW, will it take us all back in time to RYM 88, a time when RYM OT was still an existence?

Banners and Stuff
My Syndicate Mafia Wins:

Heists Image Image Image

Some other Banners:

2014 Sockys Image

Scotty
Jeff
Preferred Pronouns: He/him

Post by Scotty »

Metalmarsh89 wrote:Question:

If a Back to the Future II Mafia game is hosted on PWYW, will it take us all back in time to RYM 88, a time when RYM OT was still an existence?
Id definitely do another back to the future Mafia over there! That was fun!
When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather;
not screaming like the people in his car
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Sloonei
Cap'n Sloonbeard

Post by Sloonei »

The new RYM OT, if anyone hasn't found it yet.
My banners:
ImageImageImageImage
Spacedaisy
Spectral Enchantress

Post by Spacedaisy »

Otherville?
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
JaggedJimmyJay

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

[mention]Sloonei[/mention] [mention]dunya[/mention] [mention]MacDougall[/mention] [mention]ColinIsCool[/mention]

I was digging around for a clean notebook to use for work stuff I am doing. I stumbled into something you may find amusing:

Awards:

The Syndicate

Student Doctor Network

Rate Your Music

Best Scum, Maffies 3
Spirit Award, Maffies 9

Mafia Universe

Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

dunya
GOAT Whisperer

Post by dunya »

hahaha this is awesome :) i never took mafia notes, but now i wish i did.
Sloonei
Cap'n Sloonbeard

Post by Sloonei »

I’ll find random notes from games I hosted ages ago in odd places from time to time. I eventually just opened a google docs folder for all things mafia.
My banners:
ImageImageImageImage
JaggedJimmyJay

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

10 - sodr2
1 - other

Awards:

The Syndicate

Student Doctor Network

Rate Your Music

Best Scum, Maffies 3
Spirit Award, Maffies 9

Mafia Universe

Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

ColinIsCool
Hitman

Post by ColinIsCool »

Really makes you wonder how bad he must have been, I don't think I played too many of those ones.
JaggedJimmyJay

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

ColinIsCool wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 5:05 pm Really makes you wonder how bad he must have been, I don't think I played too many of those ones.
He wasn't that bad. It had become a [very mean] meme at that point. He received votes for "worst anti-townie" when he never even received such a role.

I was glad to finally get rid of those "awards". :goofp:

Awards:

The Syndicate

Student Doctor Network

Rate Your Music

Best Scum, Maffies 3
Spirit Award, Maffies 9

Mafia Universe

Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

Return to “The Lounge”