2016 Mafia on The Syndicate: A Statistical Review

Kick back and relax at The Lounge, where you can discuss any other matter related to mafia games or The Syndicate. Mafia game strategists, look no further!

Moderator: Community Team

JaggedJimmyJay
The Brassiere of The Syndicate
Posts in topic: 4
Preferred Pronouns: He/him/his/himself
Aka: Jay | JJJ | J3 | 3J | jagged | Jimmy | KOFM

2016 Mafia on The Syndicate: A Statistical Review

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

A few times in recent games I have referenced my "spreadsheets" containing some kind of statistical information about players here. I haven't said much about what that actually is, or why I would have such a thing, but I am going to share it now. It is deliberate that I am doing this now, after the Sockys have concluded -- we talked about it among the hosts and I didn't want these numbers affecting voting or anything like that. There's one main reason for that:

These statistics do not reflect the skill level of the players included. Mafia is a complex game which is difficult to reduce into a number crunch. The purpose of this information is only that some might find it interesting to look at.

NOTE: I made up quite a lot of jargon throughout the process of compiling this data, so at first glance it might look like total gibberish to you. In this post I will explain everything as well as I can. If anyone has any questions though, please ask.

Statistics for individual GAMES played on The Syndicate in 2016

Statistics for individual PLAYERS who played games on The Syndicate in 2016

IMPORTANT: It was impossible to compile all of the statistics for every game. This means that some games are less complete in their data than others, typically because of difficult-to-follow sock accounts which have morphed, inconsistencies in vote/poll tracking, or various other issues. The following spoiler details which games feature which statistical information:
Spoiler: show
POST COUNTS, ALIGNMENTS, AND VOTING INFORMATION
2015 Game of Champions
Arkham
Arrested Development
Barry Lyndon
Downton Abbey
EST
Futurama
GY!BE
Lost Again
Mad Max
Mafia Championship Scrimmage
Monkey Island
Psych
RED vs. BLUE
Romance of the Three Kingdoms
Spirited Away
The Office
Transistor
Triskaidekaphobia
Zodiac

ONLY POST COUNTS AND ALIGNMENT
Battlestar Galactica
Jessica Jones
Lost Again Season 2
Of Montreal
Rocky and Bullwinkle

ONLY ALIGNMENT
Parks and Recreation
Turf Wars
These limitations are reflected in the individual player statistics too. You'll see some players who played in a game but have zero recorded posts -- this is why. For games where I could not ascertain the information for one player, I didn't accumulate it for any player.

REPLACEMENTS -- It was extremely difficult to keep track of all of these, but I believe that I was able to do so for all of the games with relevant statistical information.

WHAT DOES THIS STUFF MEAN?

Voting HIT and MISS -- A HIT reflects a vote placed for a member of a mafia team only. Any votes placed for any independent players are classified as a MISS. I understand that some independents are anti-civilian and that it's good to vote for them, but this made my life much easier as the statistician.

BUS votes -- These refer to deliberate votes by mafia members against their teammates. If a mafia member votes for a mafia member of a different team, it is counted as a HIT.

Cycles alive -- A "cycle" refers to the combined period of a Day phase and a Night phase. To be alive for "half" of a cycle usually implies a lynch occurred during a day phase (but not always).

PC² -- Post Count Per Cycle Alive -- This is my preferred metric for measuring the activity level of players in each game and overall. The higher this number, the more posts players made during their periods alive in games. This also means the statistic is vulnerable to outliers for players who are killed very early.

PC comb -- Post count when in multiple alignments -- This is a count of posts made by players in games where they've experienced a change of alignment (either because of a game mechanic or a replacement).

V-hit (good) -- Number of HIT votes placed while good-aligned

V-total (good) -- Total number of votes placed while good-aligned

The same applies for V-hit (bad), V-total (bad), V-bus, V-hit (indy), and V-total (indy). The "%" column next to each alignment section indicates the rate of HIT votes within that alignment by that player.

Other deaths -- This refers to all deaths that cannot adequately be explained by the other terms I used (lynched, killed, survived). This could refer to a mechanical death, a modkill, or being killed in an endgame scenario.

~~~

There is likely more I could/should explain, but this is all I can think of right now. Please ask me any questions you have; this stuff makes sense to me because I spent months staring at it. I understand everyone else doesn't have that luxury.

REQUESTS

If anyone would like a reduced view of their own personal statistics, let me know. I can try to get that for you and translate it a bit into more readable language. If there are a lot of requests, please bear with me while I find the time.

IDEAS

The beauty of statistics like these is that there are a ton of ways that they can be worked into interesting concepts and information. If you think of something that could be worked out with these, or you have another idea for statistical exploration, please let me know.
Overall: 73-57 (.56) | Town 49-41 (.54) | Mafia 18-11 (.62) | Independent 6-4 (.60)

The Syndicate: Town 23-26; Mafia 10-5; Indy 5-1 | RateYourMusic: Town 14-13; Mafia 5-4; Indy 0-3 | Mafia Universe: Town 6-0; Mafia 1-0 | Student Doctor Network: Town 2-1; Mafia 1-0 | HeroClixRealms: Town 1-0; Mafia 0-1 | Bulbagarden: Mafia 0-1; Indy 1-0 | 2+2 POG: Town 1-0 | Naruto Forums: Town 0-1 | Personality Café: Town 1-0 | Vendetta Strada: Town 0-1 | Mafia451: Town 1-0 | Wintreath: Mafia 1-0

Awards:

The Syndicate

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Student Doctor Network

ImageImageImageImageImage

Rate Your Music

Best Townie, Maffies 4, 8 and 9
Best Scum, Maffies 3
Best Moderator, Maffies 8 and 9
Most Valuable Player, Maffies 7 and 9
Best Roleplay, Maffies 4 and 6
Spirit Award, Maffies 9
Hall of Fame inductee, Maffies 4

Mafia Universe

Mafia Championship Finalist, 2015 and 2020
Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage[-Mass Effect Mafia banner-]ImageImageImageImage
JaggedJimmyJay

Re: 2016 Mafia on The Syndicate: A Statistical Review

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

NOTE: Players who replaced out of a game are entirely removed from the data. That simplifies the process. Players who replaced in are counted.
Overall: 73-57 (.56) | Town 49-41 (.54) | Mafia 18-11 (.62) | Independent 6-4 (.60)

The Syndicate: Town 23-26; Mafia 10-5; Indy 5-1 | RateYourMusic: Town 14-13; Mafia 5-4; Indy 0-3 | Mafia Universe: Town 6-0; Mafia 1-0 | Student Doctor Network: Town 2-1; Mafia 1-0 | HeroClixRealms: Town 1-0; Mafia 0-1 | Bulbagarden: Mafia 0-1; Indy 1-0 | 2+2 POG: Town 1-0 | Naruto Forums: Town 0-1 | Personality Café: Town 1-0 | Vendetta Strada: Town 0-1 | Mafia451: Town 1-0 | Wintreath: Mafia 1-0

Awards:

The Syndicate

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Student Doctor Network

Rate Your Music

Best Scum, Maffies 3
Spirit Award, Maffies 9

Mafia Universe

Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage[-Mass Effect Mafia banner-]ImageImageImageImage
Epignosis
Skeletor
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Epignosis »

You should seriously get into fantasy sports.
Stream my music for free: https://epignosis.bandcamp.com/
Golden
The Coward

Post by Golden »

I only managed 9 games last year (excluding champs). I'm not sure this year will be much better.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Canucklehead wrote:Civ Golden is a hurricane of self-assurance.
G-Man wrote: Coward
Sloonei
Cap'n Sloonbeard
Preferred Pronouns: he/his/him

Post by Sloonei »

95.3% of my posts came as a civilian.
My banners:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
S~V~S
Captain Obvious

Post by S~V~S »

Wow hardcore Jay.
Skip softly, my moonbeams, for I have heard tell
That the stairs up to heaven lead straight down to hell
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum
Preferred Pronouns: any/all
Aka: Tangy

Post by Tangrowth »

I love this.

I'm sure I will have some detailed observations at a later time when I'm not as tired.
Quin
Indecent Bastard

Post by Quin »

I don't understand this therefore it scares me
Lunalee wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 9:13 amQuin's ISO is full of posts that are actually trying to be helpful to the game. This doesn't look like town Quin.
ImageImageImageImage
Marmot
Marmot
Preferred Pronouns: they/them
Aka: Marmot

Post by Marmot »

I started a similar statistal record for 2015. Look forward to that finishing while I'm on Spring Break. :nicenod:

But I agree, oodles of awesome thanks to Jay for doing this. I've learned that from attempting this myself that it's a lot of painstaking, yet fun rewarding effort going into it.

Banners and Stuff
My Syndicate Mafia Wins:

Full Games Civilian: Image

Mafia: Image Image Image Image

Independent: Image Image
Speed Games Civilian: Image Image Fiddler on the Roof

Mafia: Image Image Image Image
Heists Civilian: Image Image Image Image Image

MVP: RED vs BLUE
Burglaries Independent: The Theme Is Literally a Burglary
Special Games Civilian: Image Image Image Image

Independent: Image

My Syndicate Hosted Games:

Speed Games Image Image Image
Heists Image Image Image

Some other Banners:

2014 Sockys Image
2015 Sockys Image Image Image
Miscellaneous Image Image

Dragon D. Luffy wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 7:33 pm Just how many days of "let's yeet them tomorrow" can a mafioso survive?

The answer: all of them, if you are a marmot.
Elohcin
Hitman
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Elohcin »

Wow, JJJ, you are awesome. I can only imagine having a mind like yours. Very cool! Do you do anything like this with other stuff in your real life?
Banners are cool, but a pain to scroll through so...
I've won a lot of games. I've hosted some games. The end.
JaggedJimmyJay

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

Elohcin wrote:Do you do anything like this with other stuff in your real life?
Haha. I wouldn't say I do statistical stuff like this terribly often, but I do plenty of largely pointless projects in general.

Awards:

The Syndicate

Student Doctor Network

Rate Your Music

Best Scum, Maffies 3
Spirit Award, Maffies 9

Mafia Universe

Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

Ricochet
Uomini D'onore (Man of Honor)

Post by Ricochet »

Elohcin
Hitman

Post by Elohcin »

JaggedJimmyJay wrote:
Elohcin wrote:Do you do anything like this with other stuff in your real life?
Haha. I wouldn't say I do statistical stuff like this terribly often, but I do plenty of largely pointless projects in general.
Like?
JaggedJimmyJay

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

Elohcin wrote:Like?
My entire RYM page probably qualifies as a huge, decade-long project ever in the works. All these damned lists for example, though most of them are old now and probably outdated.

I designed a table-top game themed around the post-apocalyptic Fallout universe, that took a long time. It ended up being way too complicated though. XD

One of my supervisors in the Air Force once asked everyone in our workspace for a little feedback about his leadership style, which I appreciated. Everyone else just verbalized some stuff; I wrote a two page paper and handed it to him later that day. :blush:

Awards:

The Syndicate

Student Doctor Network

Rate Your Music

Best Scum, Maffies 3
Spirit Award, Maffies 9

Mafia Universe

Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

Elohcin
Hitman

Post by Elohcin »

Nice! It's good to be a go-getter.
juliets
Dancing Pancake
Preferred Pronouns: she/her/hers
Aka: jules

Post by juliets »

Oh my gosh JJJ - those lists! There are tons of them! Very cool. It was especially interesting reading about some of our mafia players like Sloonei.
JaggedJimmyJay wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 3:24 pm Always good to remember that there is no such thing as a Mafia circumstance that is worth real human emotion. Sometimes it will naturally come out, but it can be contained if we just remember that this is a game on a message board forum that 99.99% of the population of the Earth has never heard of before. No matter how successful anyone is, it means just about nothing.

ImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage

Return to “The Lounge”