Mafia Championship Season 4

Kick back and relax at The Lounge, where you can discuss any other matter related to mafia games or The Syndicate. Mafia game strategists, look no further!

Moderator: Community Team

Tangrowth
Don Emeritum
Posts in topic: 15
Preferred Pronouns: any/all
Aka: Tangy

Mafia Championship Season 4

Post by Tangrowth »

Season 4 is here. Discuss this tournament thing in this thread. :mafia:
Thingyman
Posts in topic: 6

Re: Mafia Championship Season 4

Post by Thingyman »

Thanks, MP!

I'll follow along here and answer any questions you guys have.

I'll take this thread as confirmation of your participation though, so if sticking with the current deadline you have until April 23 to name your representative (and a backup would be good too). But just let me know if you guys need more time than that and we can work something out, no worries.
Epignosis
Skeletor
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Epignosis »

Isaiah 6:8

:mafia:
Stream my music for free: https://epignosis.bandcamp.com/
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

Thingyman wrote:Thanks, MP!

I'll follow along here and answer any questions you guys have.

I'll take this thread as confirmation of your participation though, so if sticking with the current deadline you have until April 23 to name your representative (and a backup would be good too). But just let me know if you guys need more time than that and we can work something out, no worries.
Thanks bud! No problem. Definitely stoked about this again. :D

Oh yeah, that sounds good. I always like to get you what you need about a week in advance anyway, so you'll have our rep and backup by the 17th I'm sure.
speedchuck
Knight of No Renown
Posts in topic: 1

Post by speedchuck »

I remember this from chocolatepi. 4rd year, huh?

I can't make it, unfortunately, but I'm glad it's still going.
SIGNATURE:
Spoiler: show
Speedchuck wins the "Jack Torrance Has Always Been The Caretaker" award.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImage
Sloonei
Cap'n Sloonbeard
Posts in topic: 10
Preferred Pronouns: he/his/him

Post by Sloonei »

Just a reminder, I represented RYM (RIP) last year so there's no reason you all can't nominate me as the Syndicate's representative this year ;)

PS for Thingyman, btw. RYM Mafia is dead and we won't be sending a representative this year, if you are not already aware of this.
My banners:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
JaggedJimmyJay
The Brassiere of The Syndicate
Posts in topic: 17
Preferred Pronouns: He/him/his/himself
Aka: Jay | JJJ | J3 | 3J | jagged | Jimmy | KOFM

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

Sloonei wrote:Just a reminder, I represented RYM (RIP) last year so there's no reason you all can't nominate me as the Syndicate's representative this year ;)

PS for Thingyman, btw. RYM Mafia is dead and we won't be sending a representative this year, if you are not already aware of this.
Actually I believe all former finalists are out, meaning you, Golden, and I are ineligible -- though we can be on the judgment panel if it still works that way.
Overall: 73-57 (.56) | Town 49-41 (.54) | Mafia 18-11 (.62) | Independent 6-4 (.60)

The Syndicate: Town 23-26; Mafia 10-5; Indy 5-1 | RateYourMusic: Town 14-13; Mafia 5-4; Indy 0-3 | Mafia Universe: Town 6-0; Mafia 1-0 | Student Doctor Network: Town 2-1; Mafia 1-0 | HeroClixRealms: Town 1-0; Mafia 0-1 | Bulbagarden: Mafia 0-1; Indy 1-0 | 2+2 POG: Town 1-0 | Naruto Forums: Town 0-1 | Personality Café: Town 1-0 | Vendetta Strada: Town 0-1 | Mafia451: Town 1-0 | Wintreath: Mafia 1-0

Awards:

The Syndicate

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Student Doctor Network

ImageImageImageImageImage

Rate Your Music

Best Townie, Maffies 4, 8 and 9
Best Scum, Maffies 3
Best Moderator, Maffies 8 and 9
Most Valuable Player, Maffies 7 and 9
Best Roleplay, Maffies 4 and 6
Spirit Award, Maffies 9
Hall of Fame inductee, Maffies 4

Mafia Universe

Mafia Championship Finalist, 2015 and 2020
Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage[-Mass Effect Mafia banner-]ImageImageImageImage
JaggedJimmyJay

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

Epignosis wrote:Isaiah 6:8

:mafia:
Translating:

~ Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”

And I said, “Here am I. Send me!” ~

Epi has my vote. :srsnod:
Overall: 73-57 (.56) | Town 49-41 (.54) | Mafia 18-11 (.62) | Independent 6-4 (.60)

The Syndicate: Town 23-26; Mafia 10-5; Indy 5-1 | RateYourMusic: Town 14-13; Mafia 5-4; Indy 0-3 | Mafia Universe: Town 6-0; Mafia 1-0 | Student Doctor Network: Town 2-1; Mafia 1-0 | HeroClixRealms: Town 1-0; Mafia 0-1 | Bulbagarden: Mafia 0-1; Indy 1-0 | 2+2 POG: Town 1-0 | Naruto Forums: Town 0-1 | Personality Café: Town 1-0 | Vendetta Strada: Town 0-1 | Mafia451: Town 1-0 | Wintreath: Mafia 1-0

Awards:

The Syndicate

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Student Doctor Network

Rate Your Music

Best Scum, Maffies 3
Spirit Award, Maffies 9

Mafia Universe

Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage[-Mass Effect Mafia banner-]ImageImageImageImage
JaggedJimmyJay

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

Sloonei wrote:PS for Thingyman, btw. RYM Mafia is dead and we won't be sending a representative this year, if you are not already aware of this.
:sigh:

We were 2 for 2. We batted 1.000.

Awards:

The Syndicate

Student Doctor Network

Rate Your Music

Best Scum, Maffies 3
Spirit Award, Maffies 9

Mafia Universe

Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

Golden
The Coward
Posts in topic: 11

Post by Golden »

Epi would be a great choice. So would Nutella. So many others too. As someone who has done it, I can say it's genuinely amazing fun.

To whoever is successful... all you need do is dominate the heats. Good luck! Happy to give you any advice.

Dear epi... if it's you, embrace the PoE lol.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Canucklehead wrote:Civ Golden is a hurricane of self-assurance.
G-Man wrote: Coward
FZ.
Racketeer
Posts in topic: 2

Post by FZ. »

I just realised I don't know how well Golden did last year. Knowing Golden, he probably did great, but I can't find information about it anywhere. Can someone fill me in please?

Good luck to whoever goes this year. I have faith in you all :D

By the way, I have a feeling this kind of competition is dominated by males in terms of participants (not necessarily winners). Am I right?
Image Image ImageImage
ImageImage
Golden
The Coward

Post by Golden »

FZ. wrote:By the way, I have a feeling this kind of competition is dominated by males in terms of participants (not necessarily winners). Am I right?
Yes, probably a similar ratio to what we have on TS. Having said that, Jay fell in love a little with one of my female opponents last year :p (well actually she was on my side)
Thingyman

Post by Thingyman »

Sloonei wrote:Just a reminder, I represented RYM (RIP) last year so there's no reason you all can't nominate me as the Syndicate's representative this year ;)

Yeah, I had noticed. Sadness :(
Thingyman

Post by Thingyman »

JaggedJimmyJay wrote:

Actually I believe all former finalists are out, meaning you, Golden, and I are ineligible -- though we can be on the judgment panel if it still works that way.
This year the rules are different. Only last season's finalists are ineligible.
DrWilgy
Capo Regime (Street Boss)

Post by DrWilgy »

Golden wrote:
FZ. wrote:By the way, I have a feeling this kind of competition is dominated by males in terms of participants (not necessarily winners). Am I right?
Yes, probably a similar ratio to what we have on TS. Having said that, Jay fell in love a little with one of my female opponents last year :p (well actually she was on my side)
Spicy ~<3

Scandalous ;^)
nutella wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:56 pm Image
@DrWilgy don't post any more k
Image Image Image
JaggedJimmyJay wrote:Wilgy's vote is an enigma of science. Philosophers are known to throw their tomes across the auditorium in a fit of frustration after failing to solve its mystery.
insertnamehere wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2017 11:50 pm WTF was up with Wilgy's entire deal?
JaggedJimmyJay

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

FZ. wrote:I just realised I don't know how well Golden did last year. Knowing Golden, he probably did great, but I can't find information about it anywhere. Can someone fill me in please?
He and Sloonei both made the finals, on opposing sides (Golden town, Sloonei mafia). Sloonei had to replace out due to being too busy. Golden and the town won the game convincingly. :beer:
Golden wrote:Jay fell in love a little with one of my female opponents last year :p (well actually she was on my side)
hul

Awards:

The Syndicate

Student Doctor Network

Rate Your Music

Best Scum, Maffies 3
Spirit Award, Maffies 9

Mafia Universe

Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

JaggedJimmyJay

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

As I said in the other thread, I am very glad they're going to a mountainous setup this year -- everyone is vanilla. That is the best way to measure the core elements of Mafia (investigation and deception) without giving anyone an advantage/disadvantage inherent to a specialized role. I have a feeling that will lead to even more activity in the game threads, since that will be the only place any information can be gleaned. I am looking forward to seeing how it goes.

Apparently I'm eligible this time then? I'll still step out. I already had my fun, I want to see someone else do it. My burnout is too much anyway. :)

Awards:

The Syndicate

Student Doctor Network

Rate Your Music

Best Scum, Maffies 3
Spirit Award, Maffies 9

Mafia Universe

Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

Ricochet
Uomini D'onore (Man of Honor)

Post by Ricochet »

Vompatti.

It is time.

He did so well in that Hydra game, after all.
Sloonei
Cap'n Sloonbeard

Post by Sloonei »

I'm still not over having to drop out of the finale last year. There was no way I was holding a spot in that game when a replacement would have had a much better time and contributed more than I could have, but I spent the rest of the game looking in with puppy eyes wishing I was in the middle of it.
My banners:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
Golden
The Coward

Post by Golden »

I'm hoping I can be a judge, that would be fun.
S~V~S
Captain Obvious
Posts in topic: 1

Post by S~V~S »

JaggedJimmyJay wrote:As I said in the other thread, I am very glad they're going to a mountainous setup this year -- everyone is vanilla. That is the best way to measure the core elements of Mafia (investigation and deception) without giving anyone an advantage/disadvantage inherent to a specialized role. I have a feeling that will lead to even more activity in the game threads, since that will be the only place any information can be gleaned. I am looking forward to seeing how it goes.

Apparently I'm eligible this time then? I'll still step out. I already had my fun, I want to see someone else do it. My burnout is too much anyway. :)
That really does sound like my kind of game, but I have neither the time nor the stamina :noble:
Skip softly, my moonbeams, for I have heard tell
That the stairs up to heaven lead straight down to hell
Golden
The Coward

Post by Golden »

S~V~S wrote:
JaggedJimmyJay wrote:As I said in the other thread, I am very glad they're going to a mountainous setup this year -- everyone is vanilla. That is the best way to measure the core elements of Mafia (investigation and deception) without giving anyone an advantage/disadvantage inherent to a specialized role. I have a feeling that will lead to even more activity in the game threads, since that will be the only place any information can be gleaned. I am looking forward to seeing how it goes.

That really does sound like my kind of game, but I have neither the time nor the stamina :noble:
You would be excellent.
JaggedJimmyJay

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

I'm thinking of converting one of the heists I have queued into a mountainous setup. I want to see how that goes here. :dark:

Awards:

The Syndicate

Student Doctor Network

Rate Your Music

Best Scum, Maffies 3
Spirit Award, Maffies 9

Mafia Universe

Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

Golden
The Coward

Post by Golden »

JaggedJimmyJay wrote:I'm thinking of converting one of the heists I have queued into a mountainous setup. I want to see how that goes here. :dark:
We should legitimately host a scrimmage again.
JaggedJimmyJay

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

Hey good call, I'd forgotten about that. It would be the easiest game to host of all time since nobody has night actions and all voting is 100% straight-forward. I don't know what all extra rules they have in mind (i.e. closed night phases, hammer or no hammer, etc), but with that information it could certainly be done.

I had the privilege last year and would happily defer to anyone else who wants to try such a thing.

Awards:

The Syndicate

Student Doctor Network

Rate Your Music

Best Scum, Maffies 3
Spirit Award, Maffies 9

Mafia Universe

Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

Quin
Indecent Bastard

Post by Quin »

spooky
Lunalee wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 9:13 amQuin's ISO is full of posts that are actually trying to be helpful to the game. This doesn't look like town Quin.
ImageImageImageImage
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

Alright folks, less than 24 hours left now to come forward! You know you want to. I'll absolutely take more names. We need more. :srsnod:
Jackofhearts2005
something funny
Posts in topic: 5
Preferred Pronouns: He/His/Him

Post by Jackofhearts2005 »

How many names we got so far?

If I get nominated by HCRealms and the Syndicate, am I allowed to play against myself? :scared:

But seriously, once was enough. Maybe another year.
Soneji
Corrupt Union Official

Post by Soneji »

Would gladly play in that Scrim game and hopefully get the NF representative when he is chosen to join as well.

Sloonei
Cap'n Sloonbeard

Post by Sloonei »

Jackofhearts2005 wrote:How many names we got so far?

If I get nominated by HCRealms and the Syndicate, am I allowed to play against myself? :scared:

But seriously, once was enough. Maybe another year.
They won't let us in. It's discrimination!
My banners:
ImageImageImageImage
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

So far...
Yep. :p
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

I can understand why folks would be hesitant though. The time commitment is huge, it's a heavy-pressure situation due to representing the site and playing with other highly regarded players, perhaps some don't like the mountainous setup, etc.

That said, I think anyone who is contemplating it should absolutely just go for it and toss their hat into the ring.
Sloonei
Cap'n Sloonbeard

Post by Sloonei »

For everyone who's considering putting their name in for this: Do it. It's a ton of fun and you get to play with a thousand new people with a thousand new perspectives, no exaggeration.
My banners:
ImageImageImageImage
Golden
The Coward

Post by Golden »

Yes, as sloonei says, I cannot undersell how worth it it was. Yes, I had to find ways to make spare time. It was more intense than regular mafia because I felt a pressure to perform my absolute best. But I do not regret a single moment of it, it's a really worthwhile and fulfilling experience.
JaggedJimmyJay

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

If anyone is concerned that they might not hold up in such a competitive environment for whatever reason, let me offer some reassurance:

The Syndicate has forged itself as a center for some intense brands of Mafia, and the player base here has become extremely skilled through competition with itself. The number of good Mafia players around here is something I know I'm proud of, and they come from all over the place. At this point there aren't many game styles we haven't seen yet, and the recharged civilian push over the last year or so is perfect to prepare anyone here for a mountainous setup. We are hunters here, and we are deceivers. We have to be, both from our experience playing without infodumping and also our foray into vanilla-heavy heist games.

I would pit the regulars here against anyone with confidence. It doesn't have to be any great pressure either -- no matter where you're playing and with whom, it's still a game meant for fun. If you play your own way, however you feel comfortable, you have as good a chance as anyone. :)

Awards:

The Syndicate

Student Doctor Network

Rate Your Music

Best Scum, Maffies 3
Spirit Award, Maffies 9

Mafia Universe

Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

Golden
The Coward

Post by Golden »

I completely agree, Jay. If there's one thing I learned from competing last year, it's that the Syndicate is very good.
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

I absolutely agree. We have an incredible bench of skilled players here.
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

MovingPictures07 wrote:
So far...
Yep. :p
Update! We now have more than the above many. :nicenod:
DrWilgy
Capo Regime (Street Boss)

Post by DrWilgy »

Prove it.
nutella wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:56 pm Image
@DrWilgy don't post any more k
Image Image Image
JaggedJimmyJay wrote:Wilgy's vote is an enigma of science. Philosophers are known to throw their tomes across the auditorium in a fit of frustration after failing to solve its mystery.
insertnamehere wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2017 11:50 pm WTF was up with Wilgy's entire deal?
Jackofhearts2005
something funny
Posts in topic: 5
Preferred Pronouns: He/His/Him

Post by Jackofhearts2005 »

MovingPictures07 wrote:I can understand why folks would be hesitant though. The time commitment is huge, it's a heavy-pressure situation due to representing the site and playing with other highly regarded players, perhaps some don't like the mountainous setup, etc.

That said, I think anyone who is contemplating it should absolutely just go for it and toss their hat into the ring.
The upside is that you can get new awesome players to join your site. ;)
Soneji
Corrupt Union Official

Post by Soneji »

Jackofhearts2005 wrote:
MovingPictures07 wrote:I can understand why folks would be hesitant though. The time commitment is huge, it's a heavy-pressure situation due to representing the site and playing with other highly regarded players, perhaps some don't like the mountainous setup, etc.

It is how DDL and I joined here

Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

Jackofhearts2005 wrote:

:beer:

That's my favorite part of it all. Well, I do love watching the games too.
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

Voting has opened! You all have until Monday, April 17th at 10:00AM Eastern to submit your votes.

Good luck to all of the nominees!
Ricochet

Post by Ricochet »

Vompatti

Do it, Syndicate.

Do it.
JaggedJimmyJay

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

I think a bunch of you folks would be fine representatives. If Rico is going to campaign though, then I will too:

This is Epi's second time submitting himself for the tournament. He has been a fixture here for a long time. Nobody is going to tell me with a straight face that he isn't a great Mafia player. It's time.

That's no slight on our other nominees. As I said before: the play is strong here, and you guys would do a great job.

Awards:

The Syndicate

Student Doctor Network

Rate Your Music

Best Scum, Maffies 3
Spirit Award, Maffies 9

Mafia Universe

Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

Golden
The Coward

Post by Golden »

But can we really vote in our second best feb when quin is on the board? Where's epis banner?
:feb:
Quin
Indecent Bastard

Post by Quin »

JaggedJimmyJay wrote:I think a bunch of you folks would be fine representatives. If Rico is going to campaign though, then I will too:

This is Epi's second time submitting himself for the tournament. He has been a fixture here for a long time. Nobody is going to tell me with a straight face that he isn't a great Mafia player. It's time.

That's no slight on our other nominees. As I said before: the play is strong here, and you guys would do a great job.
Hey, I'm with you.

A few people reached out to me and told me to nominate myself, so I did; but I think that there are some amazing people on this site that would do a much better job than I ever could. Epi is most definitely one of them. If people want to nominate me though, I promise I'll put in my very best effort.
Golden wrote:But can we really vote in our second best feb when quin is on the board? Where's epis banner?
:feb:
Though, this is a compelling point. :ponder:
Lunalee wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 9:13 amQuin's ISO is full of posts that are actually trying to be helpful to the game. This doesn't look like town Quin.
ImageImageImageImage
JaggedJimmyJay

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

Don't sell yourself short Quin. You took this place by storm like few could!

Awards:

The Syndicate

Student Doctor Network

Rate Your Music

Best Scum, Maffies 3
Spirit Award, Maffies 9

Mafia Universe

Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

Ricochet

Post by Ricochet »

If Quin wants my vote, he knows what he has to do.
Quin
Indecent Bastard

Post by Quin »

Ricochet wrote:If Quin wants my vote, he knows what he has to do.
:ninja:
ImageImageImageImage

Return to “The Lounge”