What is Your Least Favorite Mafia Game Mechanic and Why?

Discuss general themes and ideas about game design here.
G-Man
Made Man
Posts in topic: 11

What is Your Least Favorite Mafia Game Mechanic and Why?

Post by G-Man »

For me it's a tie between seemers and changeable votes because both mess with my spreadsheets.
A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V
My Banners:
Spoiler: show
Word to your mom- my spreadsheet's the bomb
I got more rhymes than BoB's host Dom
Ricochet
Uomini D'onore (Man of Honor)
Posts in topic: 14

Re: What is Your Least Favorite Mafia Game Mechanic and Why?

Post by Ricochet »

I'd go with seemer, based on bad experience - although, more accurately, seemers who flip and then get resurrected is the source of "holy shit hold on to your butt and try to survive this one".

I've grown used with spreadsheeting changeable votes.
Epignosis
Skeletor
Posts in topic: 15

Post by Epignosis »

An unlimited recruiter, whose recruitment power passes to the recruited players upon the recruiter's death. Unless the recruiter is lynched Day 1 (or blocked Night 1 and lynched Day 2), the recruiter wins. This mechanic is inherently game-breaking.
Stream my music for free: https://epignosis.bandcamp.com/
Epignosis
Skeletor

Post by Epignosis »

Another, somewhat related one, is a secret simultaneous resurrection and recruitment to the Mafia, a civilian getting resurrected to the Mafia's team. Such a player almost certainly won't be lynched, and it makes for an easy victory for the Mafia.
Ricochet

Post by Ricochet »

Epignosis wrote:An unlimited recruiter, whose recruitment power passes to the recruited players upon the recruiter's death. Unless the recruiter is lynched Day 1 (or blocked Night 1 and lynched Day 2), the recruiter wins. This mechanic is inherently game-breaking.
And yet, you snatched a victory by being recruited in the last minute. :p
G-Man
Made Man

Post by G-Man »

Epignosis wrote:An unlimited recruiter, whose recruitment power passes to the recruited players upon the recruiter's death. Unless the recruiter is lynched Day 1 (or blocked Night 1 and lynched Day 2), the recruiter wins. This mechanic is inherently game-breaking.
Oh wow. In a regular game, that would be extremely disheartening. In a game I hosted on a now-defunct site, I gave one of the two baddie teams a recruiter but the power didn't pass down. They recruited three additional members of their team and still lost to the other baddie team. I'm open to recruitment roles but I agree with you that it's not something that should be passed on to the team when the original recruiter dies.

I'm working on a game setup right now that uses a kind of unlimited recruitment but there's a twist. Maybe I'll post what I have so far during lunch to see if it's a viable concept.
My Banners:
Epignosis
Skeletor

Post by Epignosis »

Ricochet wrote:
And yet, you snatched a victory by being recruited in the last minute. :p
Twice.
Turnip Head
Root Vegetable
Preferred Pronouns: they/their

Post by Turnip Head »

This. I would understand if it just slipped the host's mind the first time this sort of mechanic popped up, but I've seen it twice recently and there was nothing anyone could do to stop it. :ninja: The one time I saw a recruiting team work was in LOST Mafia on LP, where the recruiting power died with the recruiter, was every other Night, couldn't recruit roles with BTSC, and the recruited players lost their old roles.

My least favorite mechanic is silencing. It can make a player completely lose interest, and it's always used on an active poster so participation drops as a whole. I prefer insanifiers and cursers.
G-Man
Made Man

Post by G-Man »

Silencers have one thing going for them though- they sow the seeds of doubt about the silenced person. Many a silencer has gotten burned by getting caught self-targeting and also targeting a teammate (if baddie) in an attempt to build up credibility for that player. I do understand the frustration of being silenced though. You just sit there, watching the game unfold, shaking your fist at the screen. Then you feel the need to post a big catch-up post to praise and criticize the good and bad things you observed.

Even worse than being silenced is being NKed by the baddies the night after they silence you. That's genuinely rage-inducing.
My Banners:
Turnip Head
Root Vegetable

Post by Turnip Head »

G-Man wrote:Silencers have one thing going for them though- they sow the seeds of doubt about the silenced person. Many a silencer has gotten burned by getting caught self-targeting and also targeting a teammate (if baddie) in an attempt to build up credibility for that player.
Yeah, but on the other hand, that's really lame. :P
Dragon D. Luffy
The Pirate
Posts in topic: 16
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by Dragon D. Luffy »

I've played games with recruiters (called cults), but they usually come with restrictions that balance them. The cult is independent from mafia, and can't recruit members of mafia, as well as some of the civs.

My least favorite game mechanic would be allowed role claims in games with named roles. it breaks the game by turning it into a claimfest. Role claims should be allowed in some games that were specifically designed for that, not every single one of them.
sig
bolt sbit mpo
Posts in topic: 1

Post by sig »

Role claiming and role outing, the amount of times I've seen this happen on other sites which causes the mafia team to loose is sad. It requires no skills from the town and you can literally have the smartest mafia team ever yet if civs mass claim or the cop outs the mafia it doesn't matter.

linki: DDL stole my least favorite mechanic.
ImageImage
Turnip Head
Root Vegetable

Post by Turnip Head »

I wouldn't say role claiming is really a mechanic, so that's a cheap answer :P And most hosts tend to be very strict about it here because everyone hates it. I have a game in the queue that will allow it, but I have mechanics in place to make it risky.
A Person
Loan Shark
Posts in topic: 1

Post by A Person »

I've played in a few games where very early in the game I could see how powerful the recruiter was and knew there was no hope of winning outside of being recruited.
Dragon D. Luffy
The Pirate
Posts in topic: 16
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by Dragon D. Luffy »

Turnip Head wrote:I wouldn't say role claiming is really a mechanic, so that's a cheap answer :P And most hosts tend to be very strict about it here because everyone hates it. I have a game in the queue that will allow it, but I have mechanics in place to make it risky.
The Syndicate is the exception.

Elsewhere, people will be quick to tell you the reason you are not allowing role claiming is that you are a lazy host who could not balance your game the proper way and is trying to hide that by removing a fundemanetal mechanic from mafia.

And I disagree with that. Some games are only balanced if they don't have role claiming, yes, but you are missing so many cool game possibilities if you limit yourself like that.

As for cop reveals, I'm more neutral about that. I think allowing people to dump information is okay as long as they don't say how they got that information in the first place. But hosts need to be careful to make sure the game can't be solo'd by cops. Like adding godfather/miller roles and such.
Marmot
Marmot
Posts in topic: 13
Preferred Pronouns: they/them
Aka: Marmot

Post by Marmot »

Dragon D. Luffy wrote:
Turnip Head wrote:I wouldn't say role claiming is really a mechanic, so that's a cheap answer :P And most hosts tend to be very strict about it here because everyone hates it. I have a game in the queue that will allow it, but I have mechanics in place to make it risky.
The Syndicate is the exception.

Elsewhere, people will be quick to tell you the reason you are not allowing role claiming is that you are a lazy host who could not balance your game the proper way and is trying to hide that by removing a fundemanetal mechanic from mafia.

And I disagree with that. Some games are only balanced if they don't have role claiming, yes, but you are missing so many cool game possibilities if you limit yourself like that.

As for cop reveals, I'm more neutral about that. I think allowing people to dump information is okay as long as they don't say how they got that information in the first place. But hosts need to be careful to make sure the game can't be solo'd by cops. Like adding godfather/miller roles and such.
I agree with this.

There's so many ways to negate the overpowerness of cops and rolecheckers. In one game on this site, I was the cop, and red-checked 3 of the 4 baddies in the first 4 nights (we still lost anyway, but that's neither here nor there). But my belief has changed to now that sort of thing should not happen. Hosts can avoid punishing players for info-dumping and role-claiming by just giving the information less credibility in the first place.

I'm also jaded against recruitment. I've only been recruited once on this site, and that was in the Recruitment game, and even then, I was recruited by my role, not by name. I believe folks tend to recruit the people they like and know. I would do the same thing. So in a game where the recruiter is over-powered, there are some players that stand no chance. This is just my opinion though.

Banners and Stuff
My Syndicate Mafia Wins:

Full Games Civilian: Image

Mafia: Image Image Image Image

Independent: Image Image
Speed Games Civilian: Image Image Fiddler on the Roof

Heists Civilian: Image Image Image Image Image

MVP: RED vs BLUE
Burglaries Independent: The Theme Is Literally a Burglary
Special Games Civilian: Image Image Image Image

Independent: Image

My Syndicate Hosted Games:

Speed Games Image Image Image
Heists Image Image Image

Some other Banners:

2014 Sockys Image
2015 Sockys Image Image Image
Miscellaneous Image Image

Dragon D. Luffy wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 7:33 pm Just how many days of "let's yeet them tomorrow" can a mafioso survive?

The answer: all of them, if you are a marmot.
G-Man
Made Man

Post by G-Man »

In the early days, I remember a few LP games where one or two key roles would out themselves to enable the civvies to try to coordinate the other civvie night powers for maximum gain. I remember it most clearly from Harry Potter Mafia. There were multiple protection roles in that game though, which allowed the civvies to cycle through protecting the two outed roles. It frustrated the baddies but they still took chances on killing people that the civvies thought they could plan to protect. In that way, I agree that sometimes structure can allow for outing and claiming. Doing it just to try to rip the game open one Day 1 is meh.

Maybe that's just the mafia communities I've played on wearing off on me. Many of the people here who can be traced back through The Piano and LP tend to favor the mystery and intrigue of a role-claim-free game. A fair fight if you will. The more I read and hear about other mafia communities, it seems like we're the Bohemian's of mafia- we make beautiful, intricate games for the sake of making beautiful, intricate games. Because of this, we have more rules on these sorts of things so the beauty and intricacy of games can be appreciated to the fullest. Short answer: we're a little weird I guess.

Balance is a tricky thing. I've seen both over-powered and under-powered baddie teams and both are frustrating. When I build a game, I create chunks of it at a time and stop to look at how those chunks interact. I don't think there's anything wrong with creating an over-powered baddie team if you include civvie roles that have potential to keep it in check. It's then up to the players who get those roles to live up to that potential and not let the game become a landslide victory. Sometimes I like to include a few civvies who can achieve BTSC or just add an extra blocker or protector.

In one game, I spent a ton of time crafting a potentially pivotal character who needed one or two things to happen to unlock her awesomeness. Another element of the game prevented it from happening and a whole subplot of the game was lost. It was poor planning and a case of trying too hard to do too much in one game. That character would have been a powerful ally to the civvies but without her, one of the baddie teams were all but certain to win, which was the case. Spreading the power is crucial.

As for recruitment, I don't have much experience with it outside of using in one of my past games and not getting recruited in Recruitment IV. I think cool ideas go through phases. They rise and fall depending upon over-use in a short time span. That's why it's nice to have so many outside-the-box thinkers around here. I haven't seen much of anything yet that feels stale to me. Then again, I've only been around The Syndicate for about a year.
My Banners:
Golden
The Coward
Posts in topic: 10

Post by Golden »

Epignosis wrote:Another, somewhat related one, is a secret simultaneous resurrection and recruitment to the Mafia, a civilian getting resurrected to the Mafia's team. Such a player almost certainly won't be lynched, and it makes for an easy victory for the Mafia.
Thats interesting. Back in my RM days, rezzed players were viewed as inherently suspicious and were often lynched because, I guess, this mechanic was potentially common enough? I always take the view 'never trust a rezzed civilian'.

My least favourite mechanic is vanilla civilians.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Canucklehead wrote:Civ Golden is a hurricane of self-assurance.
G-Man wrote: Coward
Golden
The Coward

Post by Golden »

Dragon D. Luffy wrote:Elsewhere, people will be quick to tell you the reason you are not allowing role claiming is that you are a lazy host who could not balance your game the proper way and is trying to hide that by removing a fundemanetal mechanic from mafia.
Elsewhere, people like to be stuck in their own ways.

The assumption that any choice of mechanic is a lazy choice is, well, a lazy assumption.
Ricochet

Post by Ricochet »

Dragon D. Luffy wrote:I've played games with recruiters (called cults), but they usually come with restrictions that balance them. The cult is independent from mafia, and can't recruit members of mafia, as well as some of the civs.
Yeah, guess which faction got smoked and burned once for not being able to be recruited by the cult, which also had night kills every two nights. The mafia.
Golden
The Coward

Post by Golden »

One thing I've learned in game design is how easy it is to overpower the baddies. West Wing was the best lesson for me, because I've now run it twice and the Republicans have won both times... despite on paper me always worrying that I've weighted it slightly too far towards the civs. In the recent RYM running of it, they lost the role I think was their most important balance wise to lynch day one, and they never lost another soul. Sometimes as a baddie, I think you can get a confirmation bias that if you lost, your team was underpowered. I have had one game where a baddie team felt upset at their balance and voiced it to me but I knew (behind the scenes) the number of things which just hadn't gone their way which could have completely turned the game in their favour.

I don't dislike info roles at all, for reasons others have said. I can have the role and compensate for it in design. Ideally in such cases I do it in open set ups where even the info role should be able to read the roles and recognise the limitations of their role. Having said that, in all my experience of being an info role I've recognised that my info might be false but I've still rolled with it, thinking that it is my best approach to success and it usually works out for me. I think the biggest balance on an info role is this... make it too obvious you are one, and you get nightkilled. I was able to win Economics only by determining who the info roles were and taking them out.

Ultimately, this isn't a game mechanic, but one of my least favourite things is when baddie teams are genuinely overpowered. I am impressed with those hosts (I can think of some) who seem to manage to consistently make well balanced games.
Ricochet

Post by Ricochet »

All this talk is making me anxious that I'll get burned at stake this year for the games I plan to host. :scared:
Turnip Head
Root Vegetable

Post by Turnip Head »

I also don't care for lynch switches as a baddie power. Lynches should be the domain of the civs, and to give the baddies a way to completely overrule that process is frustrating.
JaggedJimmyJay
The Brassiere of The Syndicate
Posts in topic: 21
Preferred Pronouns: He/him/his/himself
Aka: Jay | JJJ | J3 | 3J | jagged | Jimmy | KOFM

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

A few months ago I started making a chart for my own reference when designing games which shows my perspective of balance and imbalance in setups. I actually don't agree with my prior self on all of these, but a lot of it holds. It'd be cool to build upon this with this discussion.

Keep in mind this was made with a mindset for RYM-styled games and certain Syndicate norms aren't acknowledged.

I'm sure there'll be some disagreement with certain things here. :p
Overall: 73-57 (.56) | Town 49-41 (.54) | Mafia 18-11 (.62) | Independent 6-4 (.60)

The Syndicate: Town 23-26; Mafia 10-5; Indy 5-1 | RateYourMusic: Town 14-13; Mafia 5-4; Indy 0-3 | Mafia Universe: Town 6-0; Mafia 1-0 | Student Doctor Network: Town 2-1; Mafia 1-0 | HeroClixRealms: Town 1-0; Mafia 0-1 | Bulbagarden: Mafia 0-1; Indy 1-0 | 2+2 POG: Town 1-0 | Naruto Forums: Town 0-1 | Personality Café: Town 1-0 | Vendetta Strada: Town 0-1 | Mafia451: Town 1-0 | Wintreath: Mafia 1-0

Awards:

The Syndicate

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Student Doctor Network

ImageImageImageImageImage

Rate Your Music

Best Townie, Maffies 4, 8 and 9
Best Scum, Maffies 3
Best Moderator, Maffies 8 and 9
Most Valuable Player, Maffies 7 and 9
Best Roleplay, Maffies 4 and 6
Spirit Award, Maffies 9
Hall of Fame inductee, Maffies 4

Mafia Universe

Mafia Championship Finalist, 2015 and 2020
Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage[-Mass Effect Mafia banner-]ImageImageImageImage
JaggedJimmyJay

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

Note that I only think a role heavy open setup is strongly pro-town if roleclaiming is allowed. A no infodumping rule is a great way to offset that problem.

I agree with Turnip Head and would probably call any role that manipulates a lynch moderately or strongly anti-town. Even town roles that screw with the votes are often anti-town favored, IMO.
Overall: 73-57 (.56) | Town 49-41 (.54) | Mafia 18-11 (.62) | Independent 6-4 (.60)

The Syndicate: Town 23-26; Mafia 10-5; Indy 5-1 | RateYourMusic: Town 14-13; Mafia 5-4; Indy 0-3 | Mafia Universe: Town 6-0; Mafia 1-0 | Student Doctor Network: Town 2-1; Mafia 1-0 | HeroClixRealms: Town 1-0; Mafia 0-1 | Bulbagarden: Mafia 0-1; Indy 1-0 | 2+2 POG: Town 1-0 | Naruto Forums: Town 0-1 | Personality Café: Town 1-0 | Vendetta Strada: Town 0-1 | Mafia451: Town 1-0 | Wintreath: Mafia 1-0

Awards:

The Syndicate

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Student Doctor Network

Rate Your Music

Best Scum, Maffies 3
Spirit Award, Maffies 9

Mafia Universe

Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage[-Mass Effect Mafia banner-]ImageImageImageImage
Turnip Head
Root Vegetable

Post by Turnip Head »

Golden wrote:I think the biggest balance on an info role is this... make it too obvious you are one, and you get nightkilled. I was able to win Economics only by determining who the info roles were and taking them out.
Unless the info role also has an automatic night protect and high movement rate, eh ninja? ;) jk we didn't want to kill you anyways :hugs:

And it's not like it was difficult to figure out who had the info role in Economics XD I never outted myself, and I didn't make easy "sure thing" type of cases, but leading lynches on 3 baddies in a row was bound to get me nightkilled. Took you long enough to take me out, tbh :P

linki: I agree with most of that list, Jay, good stuff.
Ricochet

Post by Ricochet »

Why is the issue of not revealing night kill roles slightly anti-town? We've had players who joined TS complain about it, but I've only played a game on JTM in which the players actively (and to often good result; like holy shit I'm glad I rolled civ in that one, because the mafia team was utterly steamrolled) made deductions based on who got night killed and what their role might say about that. Otherwise, I still have to witness a game here in which the players actively disseminate a night kill reveal (beyond the usual cop / sometimes hider / etc. mechanics that are prone to post-death clues or leads).
Turnip Head
Root Vegetable

Post by Turnip Head »

Ricochet wrote:Why is the issue of not revealing night kill roles slightly anti-town? We've had players who joined TS complain about it, but I've only played a game on JTM in which the players actively (and to often good result; like holy shit I'm glad I rolled civ in that one, because the mafia team was utterly steamrolled) made deductions based on who got night killed and what their role might say about that. Otherwise, I still have to witness a game here in which the players actively disseminate a night kill reveal (beyond the usual cop / sometimes hider / etc. mechanics that are prone to post-death clues or leads).
I think the alignment is the useful information, not necessarily the role's power. Especially in games with two mafia teams or more than one nightly killer.
Golden
The Coward

Post by Golden »

Jay, I'm not sure if I disagree with anything on the list (I'd have to think deeply) but I do think the point of your chart is it is helpful to create balance, and thats a good thing.

For example, "Open setup role-heavy" is potentially balanced by "only living townies win".

Actually, thinking deeply, I might disagree that 'multiple mafia teams' is slightly anti-town. I'd call that more null, as it potentially increases the number of baddies but also increases the likelihood that baddies will nk or cast lynch votes for other baddies.

I guess that, in a "Syndicate" world, your descriptions of 'role-heavy' and 'complex game mechanics' are probably overly simplistic.
JaggedJimmyJay

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

Ricochet wrote:Why is the issue of not revealing night kill roles slightly anti-town? We've had players who joined TS complain about it, but I've only played a game on JTM in which the players actively (and to often good result; like holy shit I'm glad I rolled civ in that one, because the mafia team was utterly steamrolled) made deductions based on who got night killed and what their role might say about that. Otherwise, I still have to witness a game here in which the players actively disseminate a night kill reveal (beyond the usual cop / sometimes hider / etc. mechanics that are prone to post-death clues or leads).
The "role" is less important than the "alignment". When a player is night killed and nothing about that player is revealed, it severely inhibits townies from getting substantive reads out of interactions. This is doubly troubling in a game with multiple mafia teams, vigilantes, or night killing rogues.

In a straight-forward game with just one mafia team, no independent roles, and no vigilantes it's not so bad.

Awards:

The Syndicate

Student Doctor Network

Rate Your Music

Best Scum, Maffies 3
Spirit Award, Maffies 9

Mafia Universe

Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

JaggedJimmyJay

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

Turnip Head wrote:
I think the alignment is the useful information, not necessarily the role's power. Especially in games with two mafia teams or more than one nightly killer.
This root vegetable here and I are on the same page. :beer:

Awards:

The Syndicate

Student Doctor Network

Rate Your Music

Best Scum, Maffies 3
Spirit Award, Maffies 9

Mafia Universe

Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

Ricochet

Post by Ricochet »

JaggedJimmyJay wrote:
Turnip Head wrote:
Understood, but again, I see little "mafia team/rogue killer cleaning out the other mafia team/rogue killer" around here. Baddie / indy faction eliminations are usually announced, too. So it mostly doesn't weigh in much for me, because what I expect is usually for a civilian to be a night victim.
JaggedJimmyJay

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

Golden wrote:Actually, thinking deeply, I might disagree that 'multiple mafia teams' is slightly anti-town. I'd call that more null, as it potentially increases the number of baddies but also increases the likelihood that baddies will nk or cast lynch votes for other baddies.
My thinking here is based on two points, the second more important than the first:

1.) Another anti-town faction inherently decreases town's chances to win (and every other faction). Town vs. two factions has a 33% chance to win in a perfectly balanced game with perfectly balanced player performance. Town vs. one faction is 50/50.

2.) In a game with multiple mafia teams, members of both mafia teams enjoy the luxury of genuine baddie hunting. I think that's a significant thing -- one of the most fundamental ways for townies to find baddies is to identify who's presenting b/s or insincere reads. With confirmation in a game of multiple mafia teams, there's really no reason for insincere reads to exist. I think that makes life pretty tough for townies.

Awards:

The Syndicate

Student Doctor Network

Rate Your Music

Best Scum, Maffies 3
Spirit Award, Maffies 9

Mafia Universe

Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

JaggedJimmyJay

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

Has The Syndicate ever had a game with hammer voting?

Awards:

The Syndicate

Student Doctor Network

Rate Your Music

Best Scum, Maffies 3
Spirit Award, Maffies 9

Mafia Universe

Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

Turnip Head
Root Vegetable

Post by Turnip Head »

Ricochet wrote:
JaggedJimmyJay wrote:
Turnip Head wrote:
Understood, but again, I see little "mafia team/rogue killer cleaning out the other mafia team/rogue killer" around here. Baddie / indy faction eliminations are usually announced, too. So it mostly doesn't weigh in much for me, because what I expect is usually for a civilian to be a night victim.
Using anecdotal evidence to justify an opinion. Mafia.

*votes Ricochet*
Turnip Head
Root Vegetable

Post by Turnip Head »

JaggedJimmyJay wrote:Has The Syndicate ever had a game with hammer voting?
We've had games where votes weren't changeable, so a lynch post could come early if the result was a foregone conclusion. But no hammer in the traditional sense that I know of.
JaggedJimmyJay

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

Turnip Head wrote:
We've had games where votes weren't changeable, so a lynch post could come early if the result was a foregone conclusion. But no hammer in the traditional sense that I know of.
Maybe I can bring that beautiful mechanic into a future heist game for experimentation. :dark:

For those who may not know, hammer voting refers to a majority-based lynch. Lynches aren't decided by the player who has the most votes at the deadline -- they're decided when a player reaches a requisite number of votes (usually half of the living players plus 1 or rounded up). When that hammer vote is dropped to secure the lynch, the day phase ends immediately. A lot of sites that employ hammer votes don't even implement deadlines into their day phases -- they are perpetual until a hammer is reached.

I probably wouldn't go that far, deadlines are usually necessary for sanity. But I love me a hammer vote.

Awards:

The Syndicate

Student Doctor Network

Rate Your Music

Best Scum, Maffies 3
Spirit Award, Maffies 9

Mafia Universe

Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

Golden
The Coward

Post by Golden »

I think at least one recent heist may have? I don't ever recall experiencing one on TS or original sites like RM/TP/STV, before the champions game/RYM influence appeared.

You make good points on the two mafia teams thing. The second point is good, although there is still room for insincere reads on your own teammates. But the first one is fairly crucial. It's kind of pro-mafia, but anti-anyspecificsinglemafiateam.

One thing around complex mechanics that I think plays into pro-town anti-town is overall solvability. Like, not merely role-checking roles but also mechanics that allow civilians to learn some things about wtf is going on, vs the game being intentionally and unresolvably chaotic.

What about non-role-related mechanics? Triggered events, prizes, contests, night polls? What about Day zero or night zero?
Golden
The Coward

Post by Golden »

And you also need another chart "Pro-casual" and "anti-casual", because my favourite thing about non-changeable votes is when I don't have to check in 5 minutes before lynch to know I'm not being lynched. :haha:

In that sense, I think changeable votes are among my least favourite mechanics... even though I value their strategic worth.
JaggedJimmyJay

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

They're not on the list, but I think anything related to recruitment and resurrection is extremely hard to balance (and most of the time they just aren't balanced).

Awards:

The Syndicate

Student Doctor Network

Rate Your Music

Best Scum, Maffies 3
Spirit Award, Maffies 9

Mafia Universe

Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

JaggedJimmyJay

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

Golden wrote:What about non-role-related mechanics? Triggered events, prizes, contests, night polls? What about Day zero or night zero?
Those are interesting ones. I haven't dabbled in them as a host so it's harder for me to get a fair gauge. I think Day/Night Zero is pretty much null, it's either a time for having fun or a slight extension on Day 1. No big deal.

Day/Night 0 polls and night polls that have a significant effect on the game though -- that's tricky. I think it depends entirely upon what roles are affected by those polls. I do think though that they need to be at least relatively legible within game context, because forcing townies to figure them out along with all of the other nonsense they already have to deal with is a bit troubling.

Prizes/contests I don't really like because they just take focus away from the game and reward factions for things that aren't relevant -- but that's not necessarily imbalanced. I'm just a party pooper. :p

Awards:

The Syndicate

Student Doctor Network

Rate Your Music

Best Scum, Maffies 3
Spirit Award, Maffies 9

Mafia Universe

Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

Ricochet

Post by Ricochet »

Resurrections must be anti-town, surely. Two times, I think, a civ got rezzed and the mafia team(s) endured the drawback. One time, the mafia got rezzed (though he was also a seemer, so he fooled the rezzer's perception) and the team almost endured through to near lylo situation (well, not exactly, but still like two-three phases close to it).
JaggedJimmyJay

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

I think resurrection is extremely pro-whatever-team-enjoys-its-benefits. If a game is going to feature it, a significant counterbalance must be in place.

Recruitment and resurrection happening together just sounds like too much to ask of any civilian team to me.

Awards:

The Syndicate

Student Doctor Network

Rate Your Music

Best Scum, Maffies 3
Spirit Award, Maffies 9

Mafia Universe

Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

Turnip Head
Root Vegetable

Post by Turnip Head »

No, I'd say rezzes are either pro-town or null. Nothing like bringing back a confirmed civ, especially if you have a protection plan in place. At worst the mafia has to waste a kill on them.

Though there's always exceptions, like the one time that a civvie with info was rezzed, then misinterpreted his info, made it obvious that he had info, and then ran a lynch train on me, his fellow civ XD
Ricochet

Post by Ricochet »

Turnip Head wrote:No, I'd say rezzes are either pro-town or null. Nothing like bringing back a confirmed civ, especially if you have a protection plan in place. At worst the mafia has to waste a kill on them.
Yep. It happened, we did waste that kill, we still won (in a near lylo that was kinda mafia 1 vs mafia 2). Suck it town. XD
Turnip Head
Root Vegetable

Post by Turnip Head »

Ricochet wrote:
Turnip Head wrote:No, I'd say rezzes are either pro-town or null. Nothing like bringing back a confirmed civ, especially if you have a protection plan in place. At worst the mafia has to waste a kill on them.
Yep. It happened, we did waste that kill, we still won (in a near lylo that was kinda mafia 1 vs mafia 2). Suck it town. XD
That speaks to a different problem entirely :P
Ricochet

Post by Ricochet »

Hey wait, remember that Recruitment game where I was rezzed and everyone suss'd me even more? Some rezzcruiting bullsuit, something... Good times. "Pro town", uh-huh. :evileye:
Turnip Head
Root Vegetable

Post by Turnip Head »

Ricochet wrote:Hey wait, remember that Recruitment game where I was rezzed and everyone suss'd me even more? Some rezzcruiting bullsuit, something... Good times. "Pro town", uh-huh. :evileye:
Well okay, recruitment games are different. No one knew if the role that rezzed you was civ, bad, or indy, and you died at night, and there were more obvious rezz targets.

And hey, ultimately you weren't lynched there. Llama was rezzed too, and we lynched him for it, and he was bad. Pro town :srsnod:
Marmot
Marmot
Posts in topic: 13
Preferred Pronouns: they/them
Aka: Marmot

Post by Marmot »

Turnip Head wrote:I also don't care for lynch switches as a baddie power. Lynches should be the domain of the civs, and to give the baddies a way to completely overrule that process is frustrating.
I also prefer lynch switches to only be able to be targeted at players that have votes. It's the worst when a super-civ gets lynched in a game where they would never get a legitimate lynch-vote, because they really have no right to. I don't know if this is a common mechanic, but this is one that I would use with lynch switches, regardless of which alignment gets them.
JaggedJimmyJay wrote:
Turnip Head wrote:
Maybe I can bring that beautiful mechanic into a future heist game for experimentation. :dark:

For those who may not know, hammer voting refers to a majority-based lynch. Lynches aren't decided by the player who has the most votes at the deadline -- they're decided when a player reaches a requisite number of votes (usually half of the living players plus 1 or rounded up). When that hammer vote is dropped to secure the lynch, the day phase ends immediately. A lot of sites that employ hammer votes don't even implement deadlines into their day phases -- they are perpetual until a hammer is reached.

I probably wouldn't go that far, deadlines are usually necessary for sanity. But I love me a hammer vote.
This was a mechanic I initially learned mafia through. Our deadline were not dependent on time, but who reached the majority votes, so they could last days or even weeks.

I don't think we called them hammers though, but I can't remember tbh.

Banners and Stuff
My Syndicate Mafia Wins:

Full Games Civilian: Image

Independent: Image Image
Speed Games Civilian: Image Image Fiddler on the Roof

Heists Civilian: Image Image Image Image Image

MVP: RED vs BLUE
Burglaries Independent: The Theme Is Literally a Burglary
Special Games Civilian: Image Image Image Image

Independent: Image

My Syndicate Hosted Games:

Speed Games Image Image Image
Heists Image Image Image

Some other Banners:

2014 Sockys Image
2015 Sockys Image Image Image
Miscellaneous Image Image

Dragon D. Luffy wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 7:33 pm Just how many days of "let's yeet them tomorrow" can a mafioso survive?

The answer: all of them, if you are a marmot.
Ricochet

Post by Ricochet »

Turnip Head wrote:
Ricochet wrote:Hey wait, remember that Recruitment game where I was rezzed and everyone suss'd me even more? Some rezzcruiting bullsuit, something... Good times. "Pro town", uh-huh. :evileye:
Well okay, recruitment games are different. No one knew if the role that rezzed you was civ, bad, or indy, and you died at night, and there were more obvious rezz targets.

And hey, ultimately you weren't lynched there. Llama was rezzed too, and we lynched him for it, and he was bad. Pro town :srsnod:
I think he was actually both lynched and devoured by a Dragon at the same time mwahahaha. :D

Return to “The Drawing Board”