Moderator: Community Team

sprityo
The Turncoat
Posts in topic: 7
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Phenon Mafia [FULL GAME]

Post by sprityo »

PHENON MAFIA

Hello Syndicate, I am so very excited to finally bring you my finest, most diabolical setup i could imagine. A grand thank you to SpaceDaisy for discussing with me on how to make this setup the most fun it can be for the community, while still having a good proportion of the original idea in there. The following are some guarantees as well as mechanics to expect in game:

-This game is a CLOSED SETUP.
-Roles will ALWAYS be revealed upon death.
-Mafia have the ability to kill every night.
-The Mafia will be given BTSC at all times unless they are dead.
-The game will have a Day 0/Pregame for players to check in, etc.
-Mafia will have the option to select who will be what role during the Pregame. In other words, they are not assigned a role by the host.
-Anyone on the mafia team may perform the Nightly Mafia Kill.
-There are no game ending 3rd party roles.
-No Jesters, Cults, Alignment changing, Mod Bastardry, Obliterators, or BTSC spying
-Win conditions may be revoked from players at the host’s discretion. Typically based upon participation.
-This setup has an original story, and you are all the actors, with everyone having their own unique character and backstory to said character.
-As said above, based on who is killed, will affect the flavor for each day/night cycle.
-The thread WILL BE LOCKED during night time.
-The Day/Night cycle is 72 Hour Days and 48 Hour Nights.
-This setup is a Clusterfuck.
-If a player has been AFK for 48 hours, they will receive a PM to see if they’re still there. The option to replace a player is available after 72 hours of no participation. The player will be marked in the OP as being able to be “Replacement Killed.”
-When a player is marked to be “Replacement Killed,” the Replacement must contact a host and ask to replace in for that specific player. Once approved, the Replacement simply types “Replacement Kill: [player]” in Bold to be officially in. (this saves the hosts time from having to announce your entrance.
-There will be a travel system (see below).
-Day activations, such as guns, will be made PUBLICLY, IN THREAD. Your PM’s will tell you if and when you have such.
-When a Day activations are made, DO NOT POST UNTIL A HOST HAS COME TO RESOLVE THE MATTER
-Awards will be given out by me, the Host, to players based on in game actions.
-Upon Death, you will be given options on what you are allowed to do. Some people may have the option the replace BACK IN if certain conditions are met.
-All night actions and roles will be revealed upon Game End.

-votes are changeable, however, I ask that you bold and color them so that I may keep an official track of them. This ties in with locking the thread/not posting as soon as a hammer vote has been made. Possibly, to remedy this, we just have someone screenshot when they vote and it meets hammer? In any case I'll more than likely leave it to community etiquette to wait for a host if a hammer vote has been reached

-Here are some general rules I shamelessly stole from my past self who stole it from someone over at CPI Forums:

1. Massclaims (Large numbers of players revealing their roles at once) is highly unadvised. Such claims will likely not help. It more so reduces chances of win for your faction.
2. Flavorclaiming will not save you and is also discouraged because meta.
5. All player-to-moderator communication should be done through PMs.
6. Don't copy/paste information given by a moderator. This is similar to role claiming.
7. Keep game-sensitive details inside the game.
8. Do Not edit or delete posts.
9. Death will grant you one spoilered "bluh" post, which may not contain game-relevant information.
12. Faking day activations is strictly forbidden and punishable by moderator kill.
13. Refrain from ciphering or concealing posts. This includes writing in the same color as the background.
15. Please, this is a game. Take it easy, play to have fun, but play to win! We all want to have fun. Remember that.
16. Guarantees: This setup involves no cults, jesters, obliterators, quicktopic spying, mod bastardry, alignment-changing, or game-ending third party win conditions.
17. Additionally to rule 15, if you are ever feeling overly flustered, frustrated, upset, etc. It is recommended that you close the window and take a break. (Ex. take a shower. get some water. get some fresh air) It's no fun to anyone when tensions are high and people get generally upset and end up making the wrong choice.

TRAVEL SYSTEM:

I really liked the idea that was put forth in Star Wars mafia, so i’ll be doing something similar. This game will have Seven Areas, with the starting area being eight, but you may not return to the starting area. During the Pregame, players will Poll on who will receive a Gift. Every Area has a Gift that will only be revealed to the player with the most votes for it by the end of the night. The gifts may be an item, or an action, or a win condition. It’s a mystery, for you all at least ;). On top of the items, everywhere that is traveled, has only a limited number of options to travel to next.To help start the game off, I will give everyone a hint and tell you that the First item is a Map. What exactly is on the Map, i dont know. You may only collect one gift per Area.

-items will be voted on via PM sent to the host

Below in the spoiler is the original flavor:
Spoiler: show
sprityo wrote: The sun blazed over the desert town of Warbonville, some Lifelurkers shuffle out of a two story office across the street from the train station. Some of the infected are lying in the streets from the previous night, most dead. Some crippled beyond ever moving again, just left there to claw at the air and groan horrid noises. One of the Lifelurkers, a medium height man carefully carried a suit case in both hands as he walked, another one, a lady wipes her hands on her dirtied apron. The seeming leader of the small group of survivors totes a shotgun over his should and a machete on his belt. "The train should be arrivin' anytime now folks. Just be patient." A different woman, a younger one, comes over to the leader and talks to him. "Are you sure, Sm- I mean Springer? It's been three weeks, how could anyone have a working train?" The man called 'Springer' looks to her and replies, "There's a whole lotta stuff that you can find with the right contacts and a little bit of luck." He gives her a smile and chuckles. As if on queue, a train whistle is heard and a plume of black smoke is becoming visible as it approaches. Springer coughs and begins to talk, "Grab your stuff everyone, next stop....safety."

~~~~~~~~~~~~Elsewhere

The door to the kitchen area is kicked open. Three men rush in carrying a fourth, seriously covered in wounds. A distressed woman follows them in. The men sweep off the nearest counter and place the injured one on it. The woman begins to ask hysterically, "is he gonna be alright?! Please tell me he is!" Blood is spilling everywhere. A younger boy runs into the room and brings the woman back to the other rail car. The oldest appearing of the three runs his hand through his silvering hair. "Thank god she is gone. Was making it more stressful than it already is." The injured one fell quiet. "Oh nonononono, not today bub!" He turns to his right. "You, fetch some knives and make sure theyre clean. And you," he turns to the other man, "I need bandages and rags, and anything to help stop the bleeding." The two taking orders shake their head and go off to do their given jobs. Meanwhile, the supposed "doctor" consults the blood covered person in front of him. "Jesus.....Hey, hey pal. What's your name?"

In the connecting car, the rest of the occupants are chatting, not loudly, everyone was a bit shaken up still. Some people took to petting a dog that someone had managed to bring along on the trip to calm themselves down. The desert had been rolling bye for what felt like hours now. Most of the people however kept positive, as the promise of a safe haven at the end of the line brought them immense hope. The would-be operator of the train comes in from the opposing end of the lounge room. "Alright everybody, we are stopping in Warbonville for any last second refugees. This is our last planned stop for the rest of the trip, so stay patient." He gives a warm smile, and walks back to where he came.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The train stops and the crew of Lifelurkers hop onto the train, eager to leave the dusty ghost town. The new arrivals scatter in to the crowd of people and chairs to an open seat. Some partake in chatting with the others while others simply lay their head down and sleep, since that there was nothing to fear now that they were on this train.

In the corner of the room, a man of about the age of thirty five sits with his hands in the pockets of an old yellow hoodie he had found. If his informants were correct, then this was the place he needed to be. Maybe he could stop HIM once and for all..

The conductor returns to his post at the front of the train. He actually never got to own his own train, he had only worked part time at a depot to help pay the bills. Upon entering the car, he spotted someone standing in front of the coal burning furnace, a dirty business suit adorning him. "Can I help you sir?" the conductor asks. The business man turns around with a warm smile on his face that would make you trust him, if not for the eyepatch over his left eye. "Yes, I was wondering how you work the furnace?"
"Well it's simple really," he walks over to the man. "You just take this here shovel, and scoop it in when it's needed."
"Hmm, okay. Mind if I try?"
"By all means sure!" He hands the shovel to the business man.
"Thank you my good sir. You know, I always wanted an important job like driving a train."
"Oh really, and what stopped you from having such an important job?"
"Well you see...." The man began to talk. Suddenly he smacks the train operator in the face with the shovel, knocking him down. He continues to bash in the face of the man until the shovel is stained red. The business man then nudges the body with his foot until he was able to push it off the train and watches it fall onto the rails, never to be seen again."-I had a change of plans."

~~~~~~Elsewhere

At the back of the train, a greying man with tan skin sits at the caboose, veiwing the passing desert from the back. The back of the train was surprisingly nice and quiet, at least from the talking. Only nature and the sound of metal on metal moving across the country was heard. He began to get up when he saw a large object zoom by on the rails. He pulls out a small pair of binoculars from his jacket pocket and peers at the object, red and dusty in the distance now. "Oh no," he says to himself. The old man hurries back inside to the main car. He had to warn the others.
I hope you enjoyed that opening scene. I actually spent time trying to make it long and flavorful.

The Town are the Passengers and the Mafia are the HIVE

Edit: 5/11/2016 there we go, cleaned up the page a bit and editted the OP as well, after a year of waiting :p

Edit: 11/11/2016, clarified how voting works
Last edited by sprityo on Fri Nov 11, 2016 11:09 am, edited 17 times in total.
Epignosis wrote: Fri May 04, 2018 11:46 pm You all are terrible at this.
JaggedJimmyJay wrote:How does it feel to be the Best Civilian Player on the Syndicate?
Banners:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
Golden
The Coward
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Phenon Mafia

Post by Golden »

Welcome sprityo - nice to have new faces who get stuck right in :) looks like many of your rules

Faking day activations is punishable by modkill :huh:
You get potential info after death? :faint:

Looks great. We really encourage people to throw around different ideas here, it helps all of us be creative.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Canucklehead wrote:Civ Golden is a hurricane of self-assurance.
G-Man wrote: Coward
Ricochet
Uomini D'onore (Man of Honor)
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Ricochet »

Hiya sprityo. Liking the enthusiasm brought into your first submission. Regarding the format of your game, be sure to check how game queues work here for speed and for full games. If you don't want to modify your design much, but can wait until this game would be voted and placed within a new batch of games, keep it full. If you'd rather host it sooner, make it speed.

Is there something theme-related about having phases last this long? Image

What's "day activation" all about? Aren't Hosts supposed to announce, on the player's behalf, any powers that can get activated during the Day phase?

Also I reckon some of the rest of the rules are conceived in the format/culture you're familiar with, because, for instance, Hosts can normally communicate with the players via PMs here and there is a mechanism installed so that game posts cannot be edited or deleted. :D
sprityo
The Turncoat

Post by sprityo »

right-o, being im from another forum, ill need to switch around the rules to better suit here

(i just kinda copy-pasted without much change besides the blue text) :p

and yeah like i said, anyone who wants to toss me some rules/suggestions to change feel free
Last edited by sprityo on Sun Dec 13, 2015 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JaggedJimmyJay wrote:How does it feel to be the Best Civilian Player on the Syndicate?
Banners:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum
Preferred Pronouns: any/all
Aka: Tangy

Post by Tangrowth »

Sounds like an awesome game, spirtyo! I'd love to play. :D
sprityo
The Turncoat

Post by sprityo »

@Ricochet, PM's are good yeah, but some people require LARGE areas to write. i dont know if there are any of them here, but Quicktopics allows them to make long strains of thought without having to post them. not to mention they can take notes and it's all in one big chat. It's also good for scum team chats since they can all post in one topic

taht being said i dont know how the PM's work here, but i would think it'd stack up over time/not be convenient to access earlier statements
Banners:
ImageImageImage
Ricochet

Post by Ricochet »

Yes, a chatzone separate from the forum for the mafia team to freely communicate would be better (we use Chatzy a lot). Never thought of a solo player needing the same space to write down his thoughts (in the presence of uhm the Host?), but it's an interesting suggestion.

PMs can be accessed in each player's Inbox/Sent, thought you're right, they will stack on several pages - especially in games where MP is yer Host. :p
Golden
The Coward
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Golden »

sprityo wrote:right-o, being im from another forum, ill need to switch around the rules to better suit here
I hope you didn't take that from what I said - different rules are awesome. I love it! Things, for instance, like not posting at night... there are some games here that do it. Make whatever rules you think are best for what you want to the game to be.

We only really have one consistent rule here, and you already have it covered - everyone should be nice to each other and remember it is a game.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Canucklehead wrote:Civ Golden is a hurricane of self-assurance.
G-Man wrote: Coward
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

Ricochet wrote:Yes, a chatzone separate from the forum for the mafia team to freely communicate would be better (we use Chatzy a lot). Never thought of a solo player needing the same space to write down his thoughts (in the presence of uhm the Host?), but it's an interesting suggestion.

PMs can be accessed in each player's Inbox/Sent, thought you're right, they will stack on several pages - especially in games where MP is yer Host. :p
:slick:
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

Golden wrote:
sprityo wrote:right-o, being im from another forum, ill need to switch around the rules to better suit here
I hope you didn't take that from what I said - different rules are awesome. I love it! Things, for instance, like not posting at night... there are some games here that do it. Make whatever rules you think are best for what you want to the game to be.

We only really have one consistent rule here, and you already have it covered - everyone should be nice to each other and remember it is a game.
I absolutely 100% echo this sentiment. Feel free to run your game however you wish! :beer:

If you think you cannot fit your game into any of the existing paradigms (Current Job, Side Mission, Heist), then you can always let me know and we can try to work something out as a Special Game if it's necessary to run a really unique kind of game. Those don't happen too often though.
sprityo
The Turncoat

Post by sprityo »

typically for me, the 5 day Day Phase and 2 day Night phase is a bit long, i would be happy to lower it. I'm also coming from a place where people are seemingly more busy/we ALWAYS need fillers since people drop out always.

I like the idea of night chat, especially if im gonna reduce it to just 24 hours per night phase.

and, if it could be a special setup :0 that'd be great. Normally a ~20 person setup would take 2-3 months, but being as this is a clusterfuck, i dont think it'd last very long. I just was hoping to get it started before March came around. But dont make exceptions if it can be sorted out otherwise :p

Also if you were interested in being a Co-Host with me to double check the roles and balancing, go ahead and pm me
Banners:
ImageImageImage
Ricochet

Post by Ricochet »

In an intense/batshit/Talking Heads-tier game, a 5-day Day phase for me to elaborate my reads would be terrific :p , otherwise my personal feel is that the longer the phase, the draggier it'd feel to go through. We do experience busy schedules and replacement/inactivity issues just as much, but I'm not sure I'd say the 48h window is really the issue for it.

Of course, this is just my view on it, so you should best wait for feedback from others as well.

The reason I asked if the expanded cycle is theme-based is because the only Syndicate instance I've encountered (wasn't a member yet) was a special wacky game in which the Day lasted a month. And then the game ended, because the baddie was actually one-shotted. XD
a2thezebra
Hitman
Posts in topic: 1

Post by a2thezebra »

This sounds fantastic. :D
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
"wifom is best served in gallons" - Diiny
sig
bolt sbit mpo

Post by sig »

Looks fun, I've played a few games with Quicktopic and not being allowed to ask questions in the thread, this can add an extra level of chaos and deceit to the game.

I'd play a 72/48 game, however imo those games seem to have less activity since people have more time per phase, and it takes longer for the game to complete
ImageImage
Marmot
Marmot
Preferred Pronouns: they/them
Aka: Marmot

Post by Marmot »

Where I first played mafia, we didn't even have designated day lengths. The day did not end until one player had a majority of the lynch votes (as opposed to a plurality). Day phases often took a while to occur, sometimes even over a week.

Oh hey, and my current game is currently in a 72 hour phase with only 5 players left. :P

Banners and Stuff
My Syndicate Mafia Wins:

Full Games Civilian: Image

Mafia: Image Image Image Image

Independent: Image Image
Speed Games Civilian: Image Image Fiddler on the Roof

Mafia: Image Image Image Image
Heists Civilian: Image Image Image Image Image

MVP: RED vs BLUE
Burglaries Independent: The Theme Is Literally a Burglary
Special Games Civilian: Image Image Image Image

Independent: Image

My Syndicate Hosted Games:

Speed Games Image Image Image
Heists Image Image Image

Some other Banners:

2014 Sockys Image
2015 Sockys Image Image Image
Miscellaneous Image Image

Dragon D. Luffy wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 7:33 pm Just how many days of "let's yeet them tomorrow" can a mafioso survive?

The answer: all of them, if you are a marmot.
sprityo
The Turncoat

Post by sprityo »

Since it doesn't appear that anyone yet has any big issues with the rules, I just wanted to throw out this setup is ready to go for 21 players right now!

And I would like someone who is knowledgable in role balancing to co-host this with me, especially if it's changed to a 19 person speed game

Edit: looking at it now, it actually wouldnt be hard to make it a 19 person setup and keep relative balance and madness
Banners:
ImageImageImage
sprityo
The Turncoat

Post by sprityo »

I'm still looking for a cohost btw. Or at the very least someone to check over the setup
Banners:
ImageImageImage
bea
Racketeer
Preferred Pronouns: She/her
Aka: Some call me.....Jen. But most call me Bea.

Post by bea »

I'm sorry sweets - time has been super limited and I'd been all tied up in the champs game. I am deaded there now so I will look it over. :)
I was born to speak all mirth and no matter.... :wine:
Epignosis wrote:Bitch, my identity is my identity theft protection!
sprityo
The Turncoat

Re: Phenon Mafia [FULL GAME]

Post by sprityo »

edited OP
Banners:
ImageImageImage

Return to “Mafia Game Submission Archive”