Game of Champions- Merged Thread [GAME OVER- SERIAL KILLER WINS]

Will you play next year?

Poll ended at Thu Feb 22, 2024 8:00 pm

I gotta win a game first..
No votes
Well, yes, but I gotta win a game first.
No votes

Total votes: 0
Sloonei
Cap'n Sloonbeard
Posts in topic: 127
Preferred Pronouns: he/his/him

Re: Game of Champions- Merged Thread [DAY 9]

Post by Sloonei »

The fact that I did not achieve my win condition means I’ll need to sign up for more games in order to be eligible for next year’s GoC.
My banners:
Spoiler: show
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
WindwardAway
Loan Shark
Posts in topic: 632
Preferred Pronouns: she/her, any

Post by WindwardAway »

Sloonei wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 8:30 pm (My win condition was for one of Long Con or Michelle to survive)
Oh, rough that Michelle died so early 😅 we strongmanned her lol
WindwardAway
Loan Shark

Post by WindwardAway »

leetic wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 8:31 pm
WindwardAway wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 8:28 pm Also, I almost killed leetic a few nights ago but swapped to Long Con instead
Interesting how that mightve turned out
I self-protected N5, so it wouldn't have mattered.
Just as well, then xD
WindwardAway
Loan Shark

Post by WindwardAway »

S~V~S wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 8:31 pm
leetic wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 8:26 pm
WindwardAway wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 8:24 pm
leetic wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 8:23 pm Also, I attempted to kill WWA N6 lol. LC was my N2 target
Why didn't I die? Kill bounced off me?
I have no clue. If nutella tried to redirect it, that would be the answer.
She won something in one of the night poll events; it gave her a 50% survival chance if NKed, and she won the roll.
Oh, it actually worked 😂
WindwardAway
Loan Shark

Post by WindwardAway »

Ricochet wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 8:31 pm Nah, iz fine.

GGs all around.

Congrats, leetic! Well earned, take joy in it.

Amazing performance, WWA, thanks for playing to bring it for us, against literally all odds, till the very last minute. I heavily enjoyed the teamwork, Arbiters were respected and respectable throughout and I take some final pride in that alone.

Thank you hosts for the game, real shame about the game proving a soft lock for wolves, but I'm certain you've tried your best and weathered the worst.
It was a pleasure wolfing with you! We had a great team 😁
WindwardAway
Loan Shark

Post by WindwardAway »

Sloonei wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 8:33 pm The fact that I did not achieve my win condition means I’ll need to sign up for more games in order to be eligible for next year’s GoC.
Same for me, and looking forward to the next game here! Everyone here was formidable and worked hard toward their wincons (and if I ever said otherwise, it's because I was a wolf lol, I appreciate all of you even if I had to push you or thought you were a landlord)
WindwardAway
Loan Shark

Post by WindwardAway »

And thanks hosts for an awesome game!
S~V~S
Captain Obvious
Posts in topic: 30

Post by S~V~S »

This game was a joy to host; everyone was respectful and a lot of fun behind the scenes as well as in the thread.

We had great players, and that more than the set up is what makes a great game!
Skip softly, my moonbeams, for I have heard tell
That the stairs up to heaven lead straight down to hell
Scotty
Jeff
Posts in topic: 25
Preferred Pronouns: He/him

Re: Game of Champions- Merged Thread [GAME OVER- SERIAL KILLER WINS]

Post by Scotty »

Mafia chats:

Arbiters of the Rose Empire > https://discord.gg/BE4unyBx
Landlords > https://discord.gg/WrkyawSj
When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather;
not screaming like the people in his car
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImage
Scotty
Jeff

Post by Scotty »

S~V~S wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 8:39 pm This game was a joy to host; everyone was respectful and a lot of fun behind the scenes as well as in the thread.

We had great players, and that more than the set up is what makes a great game!
I second this- what made this a strong game was a strong group of players running it

Scotty
Jeff

Post by Scotty »

@leetic here is your Winner banner as provided by the amazingly talented @Long Con. Wear it proudly!

All pertinent channels in the main HUB should reveal each player’s role, if you are curious.
Not included:

NANOOK:
**Beast Tamer (Smalltown Circus)**

You are **town**, and win when all threats to town have been eliminated.

*You are in charge of making sure the beasts are in line*

On EVEN nights AND NIGHT 0, you may target a player. You will gain BTSC with that player lasting to the end of the ensuing day phase. 
While you have BTSC with them, you MUST choose to either 
a) Imprison* or 
b) Crack the Whip

If you Imprison, there is a 75% chance they cannot be killed in the ensuing night phase, and roleblocked during this day and ensuing night phase. You will not know whether or not you are successful.

If you Crack the Whip, they will receive an unannounced extra vote against them in the poll that day.

Both options must be sent privately to me at least 2 hours before end of day. If an action isn’t sent, the action will be randomized.

*If you Imprison twice in a row, you will be roleblocked the following night.
RondoDimBuckle:
**The Creeper (Scooby Doo Monster Collective):**

You are **town**, and win when all threats to town have been eliminated.

*You pose as a creepy zombie and are very good at creeping in order to steal from the bank undetected*

Every EVEN night, watch a player.

Edit: Additionally everyone should be able to view the East/West facility. Please let me know if you cannot

Scotty
Jeff

Post by Scotty »

Notes:
-please let me know if there are any particular questions on any happenings of the game. The night actions, events, and other minutia we have in gigantic threads in a private forum lol. It’s a lot of info. But we ain’t hiding shit.

-events in play were sometimes cool, sometimes a bust. Miraculously, only two people in the entire game utilized the breath event on D2: WWA and Rico.
People just stopped responding to the Vocaroo event, which blows my mind, because the inference was free vig shots. I had 2 more ready to go, but people stopped guessing after the 4th was posted.

-in general, the events were a bit swingy but not overpowered. If you participated, you probably got an advantage (except poor Scrappy). A lot of people just….didnt. :shrug2:
Ricochet wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 8:31 pm Nah, iz fine.

GGs all around.

Congrats, leetic! Well earned, take joy in it.

Amazing performance, WWA, thanks for playing to bring it for us, against literally all odds, till the very last minute. I heavily enjoyed the teamwork, Arbiters were respected and respectable throughout and I take some final pride in that alone.

Thank you hosts for the game, real shame about the game proving a soft lock for wolves, but I'm certain you've tried your best and weathered the worst.
-this is an unfortunate aspect, and one we didn’t fully anticipate. In our balance, we structured it to be mostly symmetrical, but not entirely. We contemplated having a 3 person and a 4 person mafia, and making them more powerful. While we added a 3rd indie just to create more asymmetry, because the 3rd indie, leetic, was never revealed, everything up to that point looked perfectly even. So hindsight, it was all guesswork based on assumptions that the group started down the road of shoring up East/west. It also didn’t help Wilgy/windward that leetic was leading that charge, but he was with his own agenda.

-leetic’s entire game had a hilariously abysmal aspect for him. I mean, if he weren’t submitting actions, it almost wouldn’t have mattered. Literally all game,
-failed parity N1
-popped LC’s vest N2, had no idea (this was the ONLY action that technically made a difference)
-failed parity N3
-killed dizzy (duplicate kill) n4
-missed nook with a free vig shot d5
-self protected n5 (no one targeted him)
-shot WWA n6 (she was protected)
-parity cop WWA (success, but didn’t really matter)
-killed epi (duplicate kill) n8

^SK is a hard role, and Leetic expertly maneuvered not being too towny or too wolfy. So many times he could have been shot, but he just wasn’t.
-if WWA had shot leetic last night instead of Epi, she would have been in an F2 with Delta, and town would have WON. This is because Alison, who died very early in the game, was the tie breaker role. She ordered everyone by alphabetical order, EXCEPT WWA and Princess Abigail were at the top of the list of suspicions, so if WWA was ever in a tie breaker situation, she was doomed.
-Day 8’s yeet of Wilgy was the turning point for town. If they had yeeted one of leetic or WWA, this game would have mostly been more manageable
-unfortunately I hate kingmaking scenarios but because of the SK in play, poor delta needed to be around to assist. I’m sorry to make you endure the past 48 hours :puppy:
-this game made my brain hurt
-cape’s presence had a chance to sew resounding chaos- he missed all the kills he could have gotten, and we only had one bus drive that sort of mattered. There was a time in D2 where sloonei and DM switched, which would have made Epi get shot during D2 if Abbi targeted DM with her vig shot
Epignosis
Skeletor
Posts in topic: 277

Post by Epignosis »

Scotty wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 9:04 pm @leetic here is your Winner banner as provided by the amazingly talented @Long Con. Wear it proudly!
That's fucked up.
Stream my music for free: https://epignosis.bandcamp.com/
Thunal33
Loan Shark
Posts in topic: 1
Preferred Pronouns: she/her

Post by Thunal33 »

Very well played game all around! I had fun watching.

Sims Mafia needs more players: viewtopic.php?p=1110706
ImageImage
JaggedJimmyJay
The Brassiere of The Syndicate
Posts in topic: 2
Preferred Pronouns: He/him/his/himself
Aka: Jay | JJJ | J3 | 3J | jagged | Jimmy | KOFM

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

Now you must all pay homage to leetic's glorious victory by signing up for his Heist.
Overall: 73-57 (.56) | Town 49-41 (.54) | Mafia 18-11 (.62) | Independent 6-4 (.60)

The Syndicate: Town 23-26; Mafia 10-5; Indy 5-1 | RateYourMusic: Town 14-13; Mafia 5-4; Indy 0-3 | Mafia Universe: Town 6-0; Mafia 1-0 | Student Doctor Network: Town 2-1; Mafia 1-0 | HeroClixRealms: Town 1-0; Mafia 0-1 | Bulbagarden: Mafia 0-1; Indy 1-0 | 2+2 POG: Town 1-0 | Naruto Forums: Town 0-1 | Personality Café: Town 1-0 | Vendetta Strada: Town 0-1 | Mafia451: Town 1-0 | Wintreath: Mafia 1-0

Awards:

The Syndicate

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Student Doctor Network

Rate Your Music

Best Townie, Maffies 4, 8 and 9
Best Scum, Maffies 3
Best Moderator, Maffies 8 and 9
Most Valuable Player, Maffies 7 and 9
Best Roleplay, Maffies 4 and 6
Spirit Award, Maffies 9
Hall of Fame inductee, Maffies 4

Mafia Universe

Mafia Championship Finalist, 2015 and 2020
Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage[-Mass Effect Mafia banner-]ImageImageImageImage
☆Princess Abigail☆
Uomini D'onore (Man of Honor)
Posts in topic: 67
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by ☆Princess Abigail☆ »

I am sorry for what I did to pyxxy
Bubbly Magical Girl who loves Caitlin more than anything in the world!

Resident Juice Sipping Icon

ImageImage
You are Zenon, Town 1-shot Desperado. You’re known for posting a lot (namely in anime gif form), playing a lot, and, most importantly, making snap decisions – particularly in the endgame. In a recent game, Wild West FM, you were taken to final 3 and immediately voted the last wolf, resulting in a LyLo that was strictly speaking over in four minutes and two posts. This game, we’re giving you the chance to accomplish a similar feat.

High-Risk High-Reward (Day 2+, 1-shot, Immediate): Spend 6 Snapvote Charges, post Fuck it we ball glgl in bold red text, and ping a player. (When you use this ability, you should also inform the hosts privately.) If they are Town, you will strongman die. Otherwise, you will strongman kill that player. This action resolves instantly.
Ricochet
Uomini D'onore (Man of Honor)
Posts in topic: 48

Post by Ricochet »

Scotty wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 9:42 pm -events in play were sometimes cool, sometimes a bust. Miraculously, only two people in the entire game utilized the breath event on D2: WWA and Rico.
People just stopped responding to the Vocaroo event, which blows my mind, because the inference was free vig shots. I had 2 more ready to go, but people stopped guessing after the 4th was posted.
I took (and, in the spirit of debate, still take) issue with that whole event -- whilst admittedly hypocritical, since at first I did cheer at my own team benefitting from a successful roll:
- handing out not one, but six vig shots, is bit much for a gamestate that featured variation in prizes, as well as instilled a normal flow of proper mafia-playing; nanookian-styled shootout / bloodbath chaos is better dealt earlier than later;
- the fail-odds / gamble factor was far less nuanced, balanced than previous events (the gallery biddings), d2 or d3 rolls were relatively high odds for deaths going through: nutella received a flip coin just for saying something in a microphone; feels bad
- spectators being involved, feels bad; spectators should do just that, spectate; the example is entirely contextual, but it was a pain to lose a teammate because JJJ got up from a chair, daydreaming if eating peanuts is deterministic, flipped a coin and enabled nutella's kill
- in the context of D5 having put in perspective the soft-lock issue, six vig shots made it even more egregious; it matters less that only 4 shots were offered and only 2 worked, the full scope was for 6 out of 7-8 Easterners to be targeted for execution (instead of hunted via proper mafia), 4 cornered wolves among them - and I think it was proven right that nobody considered Westerners for flips at all (not even Windward, though it would have been more advantageous for her to start cleaning up on West aisle)

Scotty wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 9:42 pm -this is an unfortunate aspect, and one we didn’t fully anticipate. In our balance, we structured it to be mostly symmetrical, but not entirely. We contemplated having a 3 person and a 4 person mafia, and making them more powerful. While we added a 3rd indie just to create more asymmetry, because the 3rd indie, leetic, was never revealed, everything up to that point looked perfectly even. So hindsight, it was all guesswork based on assumptions that the group started down the road of shoring up East/west. It also didn’t help Wilgy/windward that leetic was leading that charge, but he was with his own agenda.
I believe symmetrizing and balancing proved the paradox and broken factor in itself. Severance factioning + multiball simply does not / did not work.

It is common sense to expect gamemakers to seek ideal-as-possible balance, doubly so given such distinguished and experienced gamemakers, triply so given a Champs game. Hence, after sufficient flips (unfortunately my own), common sense started dictating that, in very high likelihood, the camps were split. I myself would have preached this solve as town, just like I vented in light of it as wolf in dead chat. Half of Delta’s final solve was just that.

And I believe the record will reflect, despite game reaching f3, wolves surviving very last on the PoE board, and some doubt creeping in (Epignosis’ “play against hosts” argument), that Westerners were no longer hunted and lynched for the entire second half.

This obviously benefitted the rogue killer. And created a grueling ask of wolves to endure, clean up via kills and outlast.

Scotty wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 9:42 pm -if WWA had shot leetic last night instead of Epi, she would have been in an F2 with Delta, and town would have WON. This is because Alison, who died very early in the game, was the tie breaker role. She ordered everyone by alphabetical order, EXCEPT WWA and Princess Abigail were at the top of the list of suspicions, so if WWA was ever in a tie breaker situation, she was doomed.
I don’t recall Alison's role, but isn't this contradicting the wolves' entire win con? Traditionally, if F2 is wolf/town, wolf has "achieved parity" and the last town is no longer "a threat".

==

I write all of this with due courtesy. We can go private with it, if it’s preferable, though I don’t have much else to inquire and seek to move on. Again, I’m sure it’s an inadvertent flaw, still it was regrettable and frustrating to witness half the team being cornered and half of town receiving no more pressure.
S~V~S
Captain Obvious

Post by S~V~S »

Yay I went to bed feeling so happy about the way this went, I just loved waking up to this.

The spectators voted on what art went into the banner, too. It was *fun*, which is kind of the point of playing games.

Sorry you weren't happy with how it ended or how we chose to handle things. Next time take it private from the beginning. If you have anything to add to this please take it to Discord or PM us. Thank You.
Scotty
Jeff

Post by Scotty »

Ricochet wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 4:06 am
Scotty wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 9:42 pm -if WWA had shot leetic last night instead of Epi, she would have been in an F2 with Delta, and town would have WON. This is because Alison, who died very early in the game, was the tie breaker role. She ordered everyone by alphabetical order, EXCEPT WWA and Princess Abigail were at the top of the list of suspicions, so if WWA was ever in a tie breaker situation, she was doomed.
I don’t recall Alison's role, but isn't this contradicting the wolves' entire win con? Traditionally, if F2 is wolf/town, wolf has "achieved parity" and the last town is no longer "a threat".
I will respond to this- you are absolutely correct, and I misspoke in my summation. WWA would have won if she shot leetic with Leetic shooting Epi. Town was only winning after that night if WWA and leetic had shot each other.

Michelle
Made Man
Posts in topic: 1
Preferred Pronouns: She/her/hers/herself

Post by Michelle »

Congrats Leetic, and well played everyone!!!

Thank you for the game @S~V~S and @Scotty !!!

ImageImageImageImageImageImage
DrWilgy wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 6:59 pm Death before cowardice.
sig
bolt sbit mpo
Posts in topic: 62

Post by sig »

Great game and very well played by leetic! Even though I did say we should vote them off, big bummer that I've gotta go win a game this year now though.
ImageImage
Master Radishes
Hitman
Posts in topic: 222

Post by Master Radishes »

I see all above discussion and here's my counterargument:

GoC is meant to celebrate the previous year's games, and it's meant to be fun and competitive.. This one did all of that. The roles and events creatively pulled form 2023's list of games, none of the mechanics were broken or bastard, and there was a lot of good team and individual play from the players. It was fun, it was competitive, it came down to the wire, there was no toxicity or unpleasantness, and the hosts were communicative and immaculate in their preparation, organisation and running of the whole event.

I thoroughly enjoyed it.
Master Radishes
Hitman
Posts in topic: 222

Post by Master Radishes »

Also: there is pretty much no such thing as 'balance' in a role madness game. They are, by definition, swingy.

So like...you can criticise individual mechanics if you want, but you can do that with pretty much every big setup as well. IMO as long as at the end of the day the overall game gave all teams a fair shot, then the game was balanced. This one literally came down to three factions in the final three. You can't get much closer than that.
nutella
Connoisseur of Spice
Posts in topic: 192
Preferred Pronouns: she/her/hers

Post by nutella »

Master Radishes wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 2:10 pm I see all above discussion and here's my counterargument:

GoC is meant to celebrate the previous year's games, and it's meant to be fun and competitive.. This one did all of that. The roles and events creatively pulled form 2023's list of games, none of the mechanics were broken or bastard, and there was a lot of good team and individual play from the players. It was fun, it was competitive, it came down to the wire, there was no toxicity or unpleasantness, and the hosts were communicative and immaculate in their preparation, organisation and running of the whole event.

I thoroughly enjoyed it.
this!!
to the spoiler go the victories:
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image ImageImage Image Image Image
Image Image Image Image
Image Image Image Image Image
Image Image
WindwardAway
Loan Shark

Post by WindwardAway »

I don't really take issue with 6 potential vig shots as they had a low chance of hitting. It's just that Nutella and I both got lucky with ours, and leetic did not. Plus, since anyone could participate, it was kind of up to the wolfteams and town how much they wanted to try winning the vig shots. One SK, one town and one wolf winning the shots is pretty funny, actually.

I do agree that I was PoE'd because of balance mech, but I did try to use exactly that argument to get myself out of it, so I can't really say it was unfair. It almost worked, too. And also things mightve ended differently if I'd remembered to vote leetic in the poll (I legit forgot to do it), but tbh I think they earned their win, fair and square, and against all odds. They probably had the toughest role in the game to maneuver (and probably the other 3ps had the next hardest wincon).

I was genuinely trying to solve for the landlord team and any potential serial killers, but I did also have to push agenda on top of that. My early game was true scumhunting, contrary to what it may have seemed, and my late game was much more agenda'd after Rico and Lemon flipped, and I knew I had to identify the landlord but avoid flipping them until Fx.

Overall, I had a lot of fun, and the playerlist was awesome! Hosts did a phenomenal job with the roles, mechanics, events, etc.
NANOOKTHEGREATANDFEARSOME
i moderated for mafiathesyndicate.com and all i got was this stupid title
Posts in topic: 59
Preferred Pronouns: Usually he/him but idc

Post by NANOOKTHEGREATANDFEARSOME »

GOC and an indy win, name a more iconic duo
ImageImageImageImage ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
JaggedJimmyJay
The Brassiere of The Syndicate
Posts in topic: 2
Preferred Pronouns: He/him/his/himself
Aka: Jay | JJJ | J3 | 3J | jagged | Jimmy | KOFM

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

leetic's glory and the hosts' brilliant efforts have been recorded forevermore in the Hall of Fame.
Overall: 73-57 (.56) | Town 49-41 (.54) | Mafia 18-11 (.62) | Independent 6-4 (.60)

The Syndicate: Town 23-26; Mafia 10-5; Indy 5-1 | RateYourMusic: Town 14-13; Mafia 5-4; Indy 0-3 | Mafia Universe: Town 6-0; Mafia 1-0 | Student Doctor Network: Town 2-1; Mafia 1-0 | HeroClixRealms: Town 1-0; Mafia 0-1 | Bulbagarden: Mafia 0-1; Indy 1-0 | 2+2 POG: Town 1-0 | Naruto Forums: Town 0-1 | Personality Café: Town 1-0 | Vendetta Strada: Town 0-1 | Mafia451: Town 1-0 | Wintreath: Mafia 1-0

Awards:

The Syndicate

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Student Doctor Network

Rate Your Music

Best Townie, Maffies 4, 8 and 9
Best Scum, Maffies 3
Best Moderator, Maffies 8 and 9
Most Valuable Player, Maffies 7 and 9
Best Roleplay, Maffies 4 and 6
Spirit Award, Maffies 9
Hall of Fame inductee, Maffies 4

Mafia Universe

Mafia Championship Finalist, 2015 and 2020
Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage[-Mass Effect Mafia banner-]ImageImageImageImage
S~V~S
Captain Obvious

Post by S~V~S »

Thanks Jay! I think you can archive the thread whenever you want.

I’m used to checking it constantly ha ha ha. If it’s not here I’ll break that habit and I checked with Scotty and he’s cool with archiving :cloud9:

I enjoyed this so much, if I can drag Juliets out of retirement I might consider hosting again.

Return to “Previous Sit Downs”