Death Note Mafia [END]

Moderator: Community Team

Ricochet
Uomini D'onore (Man of Honor)
Posts in topic: 542

Re: Death Note Mafia [DAY 2]

Post by Ricochet »

boo wrote:
Ricochet wrote:I'm curious to hear as to why Snowman's experience level would change the tone, content, meaning and whatever else of his posts here. I'm genuinely open to counter-arguments - not least from Snowman himself, of course - especially given that I'm new myself (but at the same time I see myself as giving my equal best in all my games so far :noble: ). What Epignosis pointed out, I think, was that he was quite the active and astute newbie to being with, compared to which his style here can indeed be less involved, but it can equally be a choice or tactic put into execution. Not to mention that another player in equal status with him - Zomberella - was almost voted by a more experienced player on her first day, plus is on several other players top lists for her D1 behaviour.
BTSC, if he's only played when he's had it, that for me pretty much entirely explains why he would be more withdrawn.

Outside of that, it's the "I'm happy to see so many involved, but how do you find so much to talk about when literally nothing has happened yet? The most earth-shattering event so far is the realization that Russ hasn't posted anything." line from him that people seem so up in arms about. That doesn't read baddie to me, that reads like a genuine question from someone who isn't really sure how to go about finding every little thing someone says suspicious and able to discuss in that way.

Then the bandwagon comment? There are veteran players who say (and honestly mean it) stuff like that and take less flak for it. There are plenty of players who don't say it but who it's obviously true of who take less flak for it. It is the kind of honesty Snowman should probably learn to keep in check, because nobody likes it even if we all know there are people who decide pretty much every D1 vote in the same way, but it isn't the kind of honesty I look at and see a baddie blunder.

I'm also not even sure he understands what we mean when we use the term bandwagon, because when llama called him out on it (asking "Waiting for a bandwagon to hop onto?"), his response was, "If the right wagon comes along, sure! has your wagon already been through all nine pages that follow his post?"). That just makes me think he thinks a bandwagon is any suspicion he agrees with and decides to vote on, not a suspicion he's ambivalent about but doesn't care enough to really think through where to place his vote.

So... would I like to see more from Snowman? Yes. But even if he wasn't a new player I would find the arguments for lynching him to be some serious grasping at straws. As it is... I have to question the motivation of people who want to lynch him, because I think many of them are the ones looking to bandwagon.

and there's a bunch of linki
I cannot deny, boo, that you are making very good (counter-)points, to the point of making me want to back away from Snowman :P , even just for the fact that I can't counter with a criticism that's just as strong, but allow me to just cling on to a few things a bit more. Also, please pardon me for saying this, but explaining / assuming so much about his behaviour, in the actual absence of any reasonable rebuttal from Snowman, I tend to see it as a sort of a disservice to the whole discussion about whether or not he's suspicious. If I were Snowman and would indeed have a shady alignment, it would be easy for me to come now and say "Yes! Boo's views are exactly what I meant / was trying to say / was trying to do." and then of course we'd come off as meanies for pursuing further a case on him.

The BTSC issue is a thorny issue especially the way I've personally been subjected to it. In the Film game, due to the level of my performance, I've often found myself actually not being trusted by the other players, to the point of most believing "surely Rico has BTSC [and, incidentally, must be a baddie], no way he can play like this on his own". So I see the tendency to view a new player as needing assistance, if he has BTSC, or being naturally more withdrawn, if he doesn't have any kind of BTSC. That's perfectly fine, but I still wonder if it actually applies to Snowman. He indeed very likely had either civ-BTSC or bad-BTSC in the Donner game. Did he receive guidance from teammates? It's likely, but can't be verified (yet). Has he received guidance in taking a stance of suspicion against Epignosis in that game? It's possible, but can't be verified (yet). But the part where he has made astute observations about what mechanisms could we use in that particular game is most important for me, because I don't see why he would have been influenced or would have needed guidance to do such an act. And if he was able to adapt to the game and those observations on his own back there, then it is his exact opposite attitude here, where it is by default assumed he is on his own, that's strikingly opposite - and that is what I find odd and for which I tend, at least, to hold him accountable for. For instance, by his own standards, he could have actually joined the D0 discussions with his own view, analysis or such. Instead, he "nah'd" the whole thing and voted an odd option without reasoning. Then, one day later, he "nah'd" the whole Trice-Ace feud and, arguably, every else. That is uncharacteristic from him, I believe, no matter from which angle.

I also tend to believe that Snowman's incriminating post sounds bad, instead of wrong. By this I mean I don't find his post to have been genuinely withdrawn or detached. As a catch-up or a post stating current personal involvement, it makes him look slightly worse than others who have said much more casually stuff like "I'll try to catch up", "I'll try to make sense of what's happening" etc. As I've said in my wrap-up D1 post, everyone has made various efforts to adapt to the flux and level of gaming so far. Snowman's own such effort simply left too much to desire. I'll quote my paragraph again:
Ricochet wrote:. Efforts to catch-up/adapt/keep up with the game have been various around here, but the lowpost-type "I didn't pick up much" is the least convincing type of reaction, imo.
I don't know, maybe I am too harsh, but for me his comment was less "I can't catch up to all that's happened or don't see the point in addressing everything that's been discussed" and more "I don't acknowledge anything relevant so far". His incriminating post wasn't even his first catch-up post. He did have one on D0 and it was much more reasonable.
Snowman wrote:Sorry for the delay in getting here. When I finally realized things were hoppin in here, I started reading the 2000 pages of backstory.
Also, I am personally not blaming him for his "bandwagon" comment, I am blaming him for bandwagoning, especially after seeing "no side worth taken" in the Ace-Trice feud, but doing so after all (voting Trice) and also doing so right after replying to llama's accusation of waiting to bandwagon. Even Trice noted right away that he did the opposite of proving Llama wrong.

This took me 30 minutes to write, god damn me.
Long Con
So Divine
Posts in topic: 25
Preferred Pronouns: boy ones

Post by Long Con »

bea wrote:lol - I was going to start today by saying LC fit that "people you expect to be more vocal but could be hiding in the wings for nefarious reasons." I went back and re-read his posts though and they do feel like they are trying to contribute while falling behind in the thread. IDK yet with him, but the thought has crossed my mind.
That is accurate. My posting frequency shouldn't be read as giving clues to my alignment. And I don't fancy myself the type of player that tries to lay low as a baddie anyways. Like DH, I easily get sucked into large-scale posting confrontations, because that's when Mafia is most fun. Not only has it been difficult to keep up due to just being busy, I'm also a bit more tentative to form opinions due to the reasons I put forth recently... this game makes it a lot harder to get a hold on a baddie because almost everyone is motivated only by self-interest, with no potential teammates to link to.
Ricochet

Post by Ricochet »

EBWOP: "it is his exact opposite attitude here, where it is by default assumed he is on his own, that's striking."
boo
Loan Shark
Posts in topic: 267
Preferred Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by boo »

Sure Rico. But I don't view what he said and did as suspicious and that's my point. I also think there are people (BWT and Boomslang for example) who are far more obvious cases of intentional bandwagoning, and I think I've come up with more in general that points towards their being bad than anything that has been said about Snowman.

I'm not trying to help him get off the hook, but at this point, his beating the bar of defending himself compared to other people wouldn't take much. Go back and read BWT defending himself from what I said. He wasn't trying to engage what I said about him, he was trying to just go past it and ignore it so that other people would. I think even with Boomslang there's more there to justify a vote (I doubt I'm going with him today, but we'll see what he has to say if he ever does come and say anything).

And those are just two options.

My big problem with the Snowman stuff is that it already looks like there's a bandwagon forming against him, and seeing as how that went so poorly with Trice (who I didn't step in for because he was actually defending himself and I don't like to try and help people in the early game since if they're lynched and bad that somehow makes me bad for doubting a pretty shaky case), I think people who don't agree and aren't looking to bandwagon him need to actual make an effort to stop that from happening and engage. I think people who are considering voting him, and are civvies (so not looking to bandwagon) also need to be challenged before it becomes the easy and safe choice.
Banners
Spoiler: show
ImageImageImage
ImageImage
You a damn fool.
Long Con
So Divine

Post by Long Con »

Still lots of time to vote, and no bandwagon set in stone at this point. There have been others talked about for suspicious behaviour.
Ricochet

Post by Ricochet »

I understand, boo. Thanks for your input.
Long Con
So Divine

Post by Long Con »

Is there a vote-forcer in the roles? I don't think TH and Llama are forced-votes.
bea
Racketeer
Posts in topic: 179
Preferred Pronouns: She/her
Aka: Some call me.....Jen. But most call me Bea.

Post by bea »

@ LC - I totally get it. I actually agree with you that it will initially be hard to make cases on anyone as far as connections go because of the limited bts. I get it. That's why I went back and re-read you during my coffee time. Wanted to see if my "beer" thoughts panned out with my "coffee thoughts." Still keeping my eye on you though. :p You know how I feel about you. ;)
I was born to speak all mirth and no matter.... :wine:
Epignosis wrote:Bitch, my identity is my identity theft protection!
thellama73
Supatown
Posts in topic: 575

Post by thellama73 »

Long Con wrote:Is there a vote-forcer in the roles? I don't think TH and Llama are forced-votes.
If my vote were forced, I would never cast it early to signal that it was forced. Bad form.
Epignosis wrote:If llama is good, it means we exist in a universe in which multitasking llama can call out the first of two mafia while simultaneously calling out two civilians.

I don't want to live in that universe.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
boo
Loan Shark

Post by boo »

Long Con wrote:Still lots of time to vote, and no bandwagon set in stone at this point. There have been others talked about for suspicious behaviour.
Not set in stone, but I do think there has been angling to form one. And there's a difference between coming back in and defending yourself when you only have one vote to coming and and already having several. Even just people holding onto votes instead of voting before the lynch is even at the halfway point (especially when they're still around and aren't at all worried about missing the vote) is helpful so that if (/hopefully when) he comes in to defend himself, he doesn't look at the votes and just decide it isn't even worth the effort. Lots (most) people get frustrated when they start taking votes, for a new player to come in and see they have even just 3 or 4 of like 5 or 6 votes total cast would already be enough to pretty much call it quits.

There isn't a vote-forcer in any of the secret-revealed roles.
Banners
ImageImageImage
ImageImage
You a damn fool.
Long Con
So Divine

Post by Long Con »

So there's going to be Death Notes going around. Has anybody gotten a Death Note yet? I was thinking maybe they go out randomly, with an imperative to give it to someone the next Night maybe? Maybe that would be infodropping (HOST, can you comment?) but it's such a big thing in this game, does anybody know anything at this point? I think having possession of a Death Note after a night with no kills would be very incriminating... quite the opposite, really.

And as I read over that post, I can just see somebody accusing me of being a Shingami and having to find the Death Note on someone, or something like that. So maybe it's best not to speak up if you have one, in case it helps them get it and start killing. I don't know.

Linki: I expect no less, Llama, and I would also hold myself to a higher standard were I confronted with something of that nature. :noble:

boo, I agree that the groundwork for a bandwagon is there. I also dislike taking out newer players too early, because more players = a healthy Mafia site, and a healthy site is one of the most important things to me here. I want as many players as possible, I remember in MAfia on LP, we'd have 40 player games that were full up in a day, with people in the wrong time zone complaining about missing signups! That's what I want to see here.
Long Con
So Divine

Post by Long Con »

bea wrote:Still keeping my eye on you though. :p You know how I feel about you. ;)
:cloud9: I know.
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum
Posts in topic: 488
Preferred Pronouns: any/all
Aka: Tangy

Post by Tangrowth »

Long Con wrote:So there's going to be Death Notes going around. Has anybody gotten a Death Note yet? I was thinking maybe they go out randomly, with an imperative to give it to someone the next Night maybe? Maybe that would be infodropping (HOST, can you comment?) but it's such a big thing in this game, does anybody know anything at this point? I think having possession of a Death Note after a night with no kills would be very incriminating... quite the opposite, really.
I can comment... but I won't. :feb:

But seriously, you can discuss what you said above, that's fine.

Long Con wrote:
boo, I agree that the groundwork for a bandwagon is there. I also dislike taking out newer players too early, because more players = a healthy Mafia site, and a healthy site is one of the most important things to me here. I want as many players as possible, I remember in MAfia on LP, we'd have 40 player games that were full up in a day, with people in the wrong time zone complaining about missing signups! That's what I want to see here.
Me too. :noble:
boo
Loan Shark

Post by boo »

I think it's just the term for night kills LC. From the revealed shingami role: "Because he is a shinigami, votes by humans in lynches do not affect him, and writing his name down in a Death Note will not kill him. Thus, he cannot be lynched or night killed."

So, the death notes can move around (I assume mostly or entirely just between the 4 kira's), but I don't think (and I think this is what you were trying to figure out) that the detectives can get and start killing with them. So I don't think we're going to see people claiming they've had or have a death note. In the actual story, did any of the detectives ever actually get and use a death note?
Banners
ImageImageImage
ImageImage
You a damn fool.
bea
Racketeer

Post by bea »

I was wondering from thiose who know the source material better - could "possetion of a death note" just be source speak for "kills on even/odd nights"? PR am I trying to make things too simple and missing something.
Made
Hitman
Posts in topic: 98
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by Made »

about 10 pages behind, so I'll take notes and say something meaningful afterwards probably...
Pov: you reading my takes
Ricochet

Post by Ricochet »

boo wrote:I think it's just the term for night kills LC. From the revealed shingami role: "Because he is a shinigami, votes by humans in lynches do not affect him, and writing his name down in a Death Note will not kill him. Thus, he cannot be lynched or night killed."

So, the death notes can move around (I assume mostly or entirely just between the 4 kira's), but I don't think (and I think this is what you were trying to figure out) that the detectives can get and start killing with them. So I don't think we're going to see people claiming they've had or have a death note. In the actual story, did any of the detectives ever actually get and use a death note?
None of the detectives used a Death Note. They did usually acquire / got hold of one during their investigations. I believe you are right, according to canon at least, that Death Notes will move between the Kiras. That's why Higuchi and now Mikami are said to receive it "after certain events". Misa receives it directly from Rem in the manga/anime, so I don't know if that means she already has one from the beginning of this game or not yet (but since no kill went through last night, maybe she didn't).
Ricochet

Post by Ricochet »

bea wrote:I was wondering from thiose who know the source material better - could "possetion of a death note" just be source speak for "kills on even/odd nights"? PR am I trying to make things too simple and missing something.
Yes. "Kiras" (Killers) are those that possess a Death Note, therefore do the killing. Not sure if there's any specification of odd/even night kill in this game, though. The Yotsuba will decide who to kill every night, after Higuchi receives the Death Note. Mikami has to kill every night if he makes the Eye Deal, but it's not specified if he'll kill every night otherwise.
bea
Racketeer

Post by bea »

Rico - so no way to know at.this point then?
Ricochet

Post by Ricochet »

bea wrote:Rico - so no way to know at.this point then?
Don't think so, no.
bea
Racketeer

Post by bea »

Cool - thanks!
Turnip Head
Root Vegetable
Posts in topic: 1001
Preferred Pronouns: they/their

Post by Turnip Head »

Where are you looking for this lynch, Bea?
Epignosis
Skeletor
Posts in topic: 675

Post by Epignosis »

Ricochet wrote:So I see the tendency to view a new player as needing assistance, if he has BTSC, or being naturally more withdrawn, if he doesn't have any kind of BTSC.
When I have BTSC with new people, they tend to go right on ahead and get themselves lynched like the noobs they are anyway. :keys:
Ricochet wrote:That's perfectly fine, but I still wonder if it actually applies to Snowman.
That's my thinking. This was his post in Donner:
Snowman wrote:I'm new to this, but I'm not new to social deduction games, so I'm trying to wrap my mind around how this version works. I see four possible perspectives:

1) I don't know what team I may be on during the final round, so the best strategy would be to eliminate the most potent competitors, regardless of what team they may currently be on,

2) I will role play my current affiliation, and behave in a manner that is completely loyal until I'm told that loyalty has changed,

3) we've been told that affiliation/powers may not change every night, so I should remain loyal to my current group because there is a chance that they will remain my group the following day,

4) the pre-determined alternation of groups can't be predicted or planned for, so there is no reason not to simply fire blindly into the crowd, because as long as you remain alive personally, you have no influence over who will be on your team the following day.

Personally, I'm leaning toward strategy #3...or am I?
That post alone shows a level of cogitation that happens irrespective of BTSC...and a measure of sneakiness.
boo wrote:My big problem with the Snowman stuff is that it already looks like there's a bandwagon forming against him, and seeing as how that went so poorly with Trice (who I didn't step in for because he was actually defending himself and I don't like to try and help people in the early game since if they're lynched and bad that somehow makes me bad for doubting a pretty shaky case), I think people who don't agree and aren't looking to bandwagon him need to actual make an effort to stop that from happening and engage. I think people who are considering voting him, and are civvies (so not looking to bandwagon) also need to be challenged before it becomes the easy and safe choice.
I am far from a Snowman vote at this moment. That doesn't mean I won't vote there- as I said, this would depend on my sense of his motivations and whether or not I can glean any clues regarding his alignment.

The noteworthy dissonance for me, boo, is that you are on the record as being okay with lynching those who are not-participating or being generally unhelpful. I agree with you 100% on the subject, and I would classify Snowman at least as the latter (maybe you don't).

However, you want to forestall a Snowman lynch on the basis of a gambler's fallacy (underlined). Why is this?
Stream my music for free: https://epignosis.bandcamp.com/
Boomslang
Drug Dealer
Posts in topic: 60

Post by Boomslang »

boo wrote:Doing more reading of people.
Boomslang wrote:
DharmaHelper wrote:
triceratopzeuhl wrote:35 minutes left and 15 missing votes
Welcome to my hell.
I feel like the game is in a Mexican standoff right now... So guess I'll be among the first to shoot. I think there's a lot of information that came out of the Trice/Ace exchange, most of which showed Trice to be self-contradictory and a bit flustered. I'm not reading a genuine defense in those posts, so I'm going to add my vote.

linki w/Rico: I feel the same way about Russ, but I feel a little less forgiving toward TH. Hopefully Russ posts tomorrow and can give some good intel. Also skeptical of FZ; Snowman's few posts suggest a lack of involvement with the game, which hasn't yet made itself clear to me as ignorance or malice.
Boomslang doesn't have many posts and lots of them are jokey, and this one pretty much sums up what I have to say anyways. But take a minute and read over him.

Before voting for Trice, Boomslang had had some minor suspicion of him that he voiced, but in a post after that it had sounded like he thought Trice and Ace were both just to much into it and that at this point he didn't seem all that suspicious of either of them. That is this post:
Boomslang wrote:
Made wrote:Caught up, but I don't feel there's a niche anywhere in conversation for me to fill as of yet.
I agree with SVS, while I did read the entirety of DH v Epi and Ace v Trice, I think it would help me during a reread if i knew where the arguments were going while reading. Personally, I feel like DH and Trice are arguing past each other on the "Good" remark, so if a third party could reframe that, both for my own understanding, and the mutual understanding of Dh and Trice, that'd be awesome.

Not a ping, but honestly, I expected Llama to take a bigger role in conversation thus far.

Epi, You said that ace is normally a quiet player, having never played with him, can you elaborate further?

also, play style reads on DP, Meta, Zomba, Boo, Trice, and Snowman would be nice if someone would like to offer them.
As far as I understand, the "good" remark is in reference to what Trice said about the L/Light lynch option, in reference to Ace's analysis of the options. DH read Ace's analysis as saying it would be more logical for the baddies to pick the normal lynch, while Trice read Ace's analysis to say the lynch option would be the one civilians would pick. Trice then argued that the two interpretations were identical. I think DH is splitting some unnecessary hairs here, but I don't think Ace's language marks him as bad.
Then he does a bit of discussing a variety of things (mostly Snowman and FZ), a bit of joking, and then we get to the voting post.

Now, problem number one. I have no idea why he thought it was a mexican standoff. Trice already had 5 votes, the next highest voter finished the lynch with 3, and Boomslang knew he was about to widen the gap and bring Trice to 6 votes. So... how can he claim to the first to shoot? It... makes no sense. He gives a little bit to explain his vote, and does so.

The voting post (ignoring his linki bit that is directed at Rico that is just going back to his discussion about other people) is just him bandwagoning onto Trice, while phrasing it in a way that tries to make it sound like he's some sort of decision maker who is leading the charge, not someone piling on another vote for someone who already has the lead, is taking a clear lead because of his vote, with the lynch only having (less than) 35 minutes left.

Since then, we got one post from him during N1, and nothing today.
Sorry, been out doing interviews for school stuff all day today; just caught up, and I should be a bit more active in the next few hours. I admit I was being a bit flowery with my language in the "first to shoot" bit, especially because I think a couple people voted while I was typing up my post. But to be fair, there were still a good deal of votes left to be cast at that point; the time of 35 minutes is less relevant than the number of players outstanding.
boo wrote:
My big problem with the Snowman stuff is that it already looks like there's a bandwagon forming against him, and seeing as how that went so poorly with Trice (who I didn't step in for because he was actually defending himself and I don't like to try and help people in the early game since if they're lynched and bad that somehow makes me bad for doubting a pretty shaky case), I think people who don't agree and aren't looking to bandwagon him need to actual make an effort to stop that from happening and engage. I think people who are considering voting him, and are civvies (so not looking to bandwagon) also need to be challenged before it becomes the easy and safe choice.
This is a really good point. Again, I've expressed some suspicion over his "nothing to discuss" and "discussion coalescing" posts, but I'd like to get a little more intel before drawing a conclusion.

In terms of the other major events of the day: I feel like Epig legitimately figured out the eye thing based on lore knowledge, so I'm not suspicious of him for that. Russ coming back is welcome, and I don't supposed I'm surprised that he can't (or doesn't choose to) talk about the first day's silence. Russ also makes a very good point here:
Russtifinko wrote:
birdwithteeth11 wrote:
Turnip Head wrote:
birdwithteeth11 wrote:Alright. I'm going to start approaching this game in a different way. And a different playstyle.

TH and Russ: I want a defense from both of you. Whoever gives a worse defense of why they shouldn't be lynched will get my vote.

Also, Russ, I don't need a defense from you (yet). But I do want to know why you haven't posted anything in this game until Day 2.

Linki 2: I'm looking at the two of you because:

1) TH - Voting someone with no explanation whatsoever. Sure, he might be forced. But I feel like something more nefarious is going on.

2) [Russ] did a drive-by-vote on Day 0, didn't post then at all, and didn't post at all during Day 1 or Night 1. So I think you have something to hide too.

I think those are two very good reasons to look at voting one of the two of you today.
(Quote edited for size, but using BWT's words where possible to keep the gist.)

So you want my defense but don't need it yet?
Which BWT first brushes off as probing, then continues to ask the question:
birdwithteeth11 wrote:
I'll be honest. I mostly posted my original post for today in that way because I wanted to see what kinds of reactions I would get out of TH and yourself. I think TH's reaction was very telling in particular.

As for you, I am still curious as to why you did not post at all in the game until now. Care to explain why?
Linki with Epig: I don't think's boo's reaction is a gambler's fallacy; that logic only really applies when the second event has exactly the same odds as the first. Which is not the case in these circumstances, in which the available information differs.
Epignosis
Skeletor

Post by Epignosis »

Boomslang wrote:Linki with Epig: I don't think's boo's reaction is a gambler's fallacy; that logic only really applies when the second event has exactly the same odds as the first. Which is not the case in these circumstances, in which the available information differs.
I haven't read your post yet, but wanted to comment on this first. My point (in context) is that if boo is comfortable lynching a non-participator or someone unhelpful (as many are not), why would he be disapproving of a Snowman "bandwagon" (a lynch is not necessarily a bandwagon, by the way) on the basis of that having not worked out with Trice, who was actively engaged (by boo's own judgement).

That's the dissonance I mean.
boo
Loan Shark

Post by boo »

Epignosis wrote:
Boomslang wrote:Linki with Epig: I don't think's boo's reaction is a gambler's fallacy; that logic only really applies when the second event has exactly the same odds as the first. Which is not the case in these circumstances, in which the available information differs.
I haven't read your post yet, but wanted to comment on this first. My point (in context) is that if boo is comfortable lynching a non-participator or someone unhelpful (as many are not), why would he be disapproving of a Snowman "bandwagon" (a lynch is not necessarily a bandwagon, by the way) on the basis of that having not worked out with Trice, who was actively engaged (by boo's own judgement).

I wouldn't agree Snowman isn't engaged. He isn't highly engaged, and I'd like more from him, but on that count there are people who are worse offenders than him.
Banners
ImageImageImage
ImageImage
You a damn fool.
Epignosis
Skeletor

Post by Epignosis »

boo wrote:
Epignosis wrote:

I wouldn't agree Snowman isn't engaged. He isn't highly engaged, and I'd like more from him, but on that count there are people who are worse offenders than him.
Very well, but you said "My big problem with the Snowman stuff is that it already looks like there's a bandwagon forming against him, and seeing as how that went so poorly with Trice (who I didn't step in for because he was actually defending himself and I don't like to try and help people in the early game since if they're lynched and bad that somehow makes me bad for doubting a pretty shaky case)..."

You don't defend someone early because he was actively defending himself and could have been bad, but you ARE defending someone early (only Day 2) who is not actively defending himself and could still be bad. Therefore I don't see the significance in those qualifications.
Boomslang
Drug Dealer
Posts in topic: 60

Post by Boomslang »

Epignosis wrote:

Fair enough. I guess I mostly just disagreed with the term "gambler's fallacy," which suggests a more chancy and less reasoned approach to the issue. Unless that's what you wanted to indicate.

Going back and rereading Snowman carefully myself... he hasn't offered much defense in the last night/day phases. A number of "jokey" (to use boo's term) posts, a bit of biting sarcasm, a lot of images, which create the impression of large contributions without much content. All this after he said "I'll offer my insight and contribute what I can" on Day 1. So I'm feeling less good about him.
boo
Loan Shark

Post by boo »

Epignosis wrote:
boo wrote:
Epignosis wrote:

Very well, but you said "My big problem with the Snowman stuff is that it already looks like there's a bandwagon forming against him, and seeing as how that went so poorly with Trice (who I didn't step in for because he was actually defending himself and I don't like to try and help people in the early game since if they're lynched and bad that somehow makes me bad for doubting a pretty shaky case)..."

You don't defend someone early because he was actively defending himself and could have been bad, but you ARE defending someone early (only Day 2) who is not actively defending himself and could still be bad. Therefore I don't see the significance in those qualifications.
Goes back to not wanting to see him take more votes before he even comes in and has a chance to talk for himself, because I think that would lead to him just giving up and not bothering, which makes his lynch even easier.
Banners
ImageImageImage
ImageImage
You a damn fool.
zeek
Money Launderer
Posts in topic: 154

Post by zeek »

I need to catch up but the past two days have been terrible for me and I won't have a change until tomorrow night.

I feel horrible :( I am sorry so, MP, cause I had bags of time before I replaced in. I promise I will give this game the time and respect it deserves when I get the chance!
DharmaHelper
Capo Regime (Street Boss)
Posts in topic: 822

Post by DharmaHelper »

Gonna read up on the talk I've missed.
our Linkitis is our lives.

ImageImage
ImageImage
bea
Racketeer

Post by bea »

Turnip Head wrote:Where are you looking for this lynch, Bea?
Honestly not sure yet. At work now so prolly done with things till I get home tonight
I plan on taking a look at a few people.
Epignosis
Skeletor

Post by Epignosis »

boo wrote:Goes back to not wanting to see [Snowman] take more votes before he even comes in and has a chance to talk for himself, because I think that would lead to him just giving up and not bothering, which makes his lynch even easier.
You said:
boo wrote:No, it's very simple. Trice doesn't post, Trice doesn't get lynched, someone else does. It's that simple. Until that isn't the case, just not posting is a great way to not get lynched, far better than actually posting is.

You're just flat out wrong. And it's painful, but that's what it is, and I'll just have to live with it.
Snowman has posted since you posted this. As I noted earlier, he is not a new person in typical sense we think of newness. He is new to the site, but he is not at all new to mind games. His own wife said this:
Zomberella12 wrote:I for one would be happy to talk about lynching Snowman. :feb: As per SVS, laying low would be a good baddie move in this game and Snowman is doing that. As per Boo, I agree that the posters seem to get lynched while the non-posters (or low posters) don't. As a trained psychologist irl, Snowman will take full advantage if given the chance. I'm not ready to vote for him today, but I want to talk about it a lot more.

@Boo - I like your Russ logic. I also liked it when Epi used it. I don't see a way to spin his behavior as good.
Something doesn't add up here.
boo
Loan Shark

Post by boo »

Yes, the quote you pulled doesn't add up. She said she wants to talk about him and that she wasn't ready to vote for him.
Banners
ImageImageImage
ImageImage
You a damn fool.
Epignosis
Skeletor

Post by Epignosis »

boo wrote:Yes, the quote you pulled doesn't add up. She said she wants to talk about him and that she wasn't ready to vote for him.
NO HER
boo
Loan Shark

Post by boo »

Epignosis wrote:
boo wrote:Yes, the quote you pulled doesn't add up. She said she wants to talk about him and that she wasn't ready to vote for him.
NO HER
I don't know what this is supposed to mean.

I'm also not really sure what you meant in the last post about Snowman being new without being new. Have he and Zomba (or just him, but clarification would still be good) played mafia at a different site, or are the mind games you're referring to something else? Because unless they just played at a different site, I'm not really sure I see the relevance. Anyone who has ever met a woman (haha, casual sexism. take that society!) has a lifetime of experience with mind games before playing mafia, but we don't expect that to translate to immediate mafia prowess.
Banners
ImageImageImage
ImageImage
You a damn fool.
birdwithteeth11
Loan Shark
Posts in topic: 38

Post by birdwithteeth11 »

Turnip Head wrote:
birdwithteeth11 wrote:I'm starting to think I won't get my questions answered from Russ or TH though. :evileye:
Sorry, what was your question for me?
Epignosis
Skeletor

Post by Epignosis »

That isn't very nice bwt.
Turnip Head
Root Vegetable

Post by Turnip Head »

:pout:
Epignosis
Skeletor

Post by Epignosis »

boo wrote:
Epignosis wrote:
NO HER
It means in a discussion about Snowman, you highlight something Zomberella said to shift discussion to her. That's fine. I thought I was just being clever. :meany:
boo wrote:I'm also not really sure what you meant in the last post about Snowman being new without being new. Have he and Zomba (or just him, but clarification would still be good) played mafia at a different site, or are the mind games you're referring to something else? Because unless they just played at a different site, I'm not really sure I see the relevance. Anyone who has ever met a woman (haha, casual sexism. take that society!) has a lifetime of experience with mind games before playing mafia, but we don't expect that to translate to immediate mafia prowess.
Just my opinion- unlike some, I don't think new people should be given a pass because of newness. It's how you learn. I was bad in my first game here and rabbit called me right out. I played the discouraged newbie card and went on to win the game. Then in my second game, I made a rookie mistake and Zany Dex got me lynched right quick-like.

I see no reason- least of all in THIS game- to treat anyone with leniency because of any kind of newness, least of all someone who is as perceptive and possibly deceptive as I believe Snowman can be.
boo
Loan Shark

Post by boo »

Epignosis wrote:
boo wrote:
Epignosis wrote:
NO HER
It means in a discussion about Snowman, you highlight something Zomberella said to shift discussion to her. That's fine. I thought I was just being clever. :meany:
boo wrote:I'm also not really sure what you meant in the last post about Snowman being new without being new. Have he and Zomba (or just him, but clarification would still be good) played mafia at a different site, or are the mind games you're referring to something else? Because unless they just played at a different site, I'm not really sure I see the relevance. Anyone who has ever met a woman (haha, casual sexism. take that society!) has a lifetime of experience with mind games before playing mafia, but we don't expect that to translate to immediate mafia prowess.
Just my opinion- unlike some, I don't think new people should be given a pass because of newness. It's how you learn. I was bad in my first game here and rabbit called me right out. I played the discouraged newbie card and went on to win the game. Then in my second game, I made a rookie mistake and Zany Dex got me lynched right quick-like.

I see no reason- least of all in THIS game- to treat anyone with leniency because of any kind of newness, least of all someone who is as perceptive and possibly deceptive as I believe Snowman can be.
I'm not sure you've followed why being new is relevant. I said I wasn't sure he even understood what bandwagoning is referring to in the context of the game, and llama said he should know. If he has only played one game, I'm not sure that's a reasonable assumption, especially since in the post where Snowman said it, it really didn't seem like he knew what it meant, and if he did, and knew it was a baddie behaviour, why would he have done it in the first place?
Banners
ImageImageImage
ImageImage
You a damn fool.
Epignosis
Skeletor

Post by Epignosis »

You mean he's a psychologist in real life but doesn't know what a bandwagon is? That term in the context of the game holds the same meaning as it does anywhere else, does it not?

Plus, I used the term Day 1 when Snowman voted for me in Donner.

Uh-uh. He knows.
Turnip Head
Root Vegetable

Post by Turnip Head »

What's up with boo defending Snowman, a low poster, despite his earlier insistence that we lynch his kind? Boo, where does Snowman fall in your Thinker rankings? Who's below him? Who do you think is worthy of your vote so far?
Turnip Head
Root Vegetable

Post by Turnip Head »

Like Epi said, it's odd that Boo didn't feel comfortable defending Trice on the chance that he flipped bad, but has no qualms defending Snowman, after he says he wants to lynch low posters.
boo
Loan Shark

Post by boo »

Turnip Head wrote:What's up with boo defending Snowman, a low poster, despite his earlier insistence that we lynch his kind? Boo, where does Snowman fall in your Thinker rankings? Who's below him? Who do you think is worthy of your vote so far?
Non-participant isn't the same as low poster.

You're at the bottom.

I'm probably voting BWT.
Banners
ImageImageImage
ImageImage
You a damn fool.
Black Rock
Loan Shark
Posts in topic: 148

Post by Black Rock »

Turnip Head wrote:What's up with boo defending Snowman, a low poster, despite his earlier insistence that we lynch his kind? Boo, where does Snowman fall in your Thinker rankings? Who's below him? Who do you think is worthy of your vote so far?
I don't much care if Snowman is a low poster or not, what is interesting is the not so subtle defense. Many people have weighed in on this subject but have moved on. Boo tweaked me day one and has now again today.
ImageImage
Epignosis
Skeletor

Post by Epignosis »

Turnip Head wrote:Like Epi said, it's odd that Boo didn't feel comfortable defending Trice on the chance that he flipped bad, but has no qualms defending Snowman, after he says he wants to lynch low posters.
I don't feel comfortable with someone attributing an oversimplification to me, especially if that someone has voted already.
boo
Loan Shark

Post by boo »

Epignosis wrote:You mean he's a psychologist in real life but doesn't know what a bandwagon is? That term in the context of the game holds the same meaning as it does anywhere else, does it not?

Plus, I used the term Day 1 when Snowman voted for me in Donner.

Uh-uh. He knows.
I don't think the thoughtless-ness of it within the games context is the same as typical context, no.

Ok? And he misused it as far as I'm concerned in this game, and what he says trumps what you say for what he thinks.
Banners
ImageImageImage
ImageImage
You a damn fool.
Black Rock
Loan Shark
Posts in topic: 148

Post by Black Rock »

Turnip Head wrote:Like Epi said, it's odd that Boo didn't feel comfortable defending Trice on the chance that he flipped bad, but has no qualms defending Snowman, after he says he wants to lynch low posters.
I'm not so sure I understand what Trice has to do with this. Is there a link I am missing?
ImageImage
birdwithteeth11
Loan Shark
Posts in topic: 38

Post by birdwithteeth11 »

Epignosis wrote:That isn't very nice bwt.
It's not very nice that TH won't tell us why he is voting for llama with no explanations. But I'm at the point where I no longer expect a satisfying answer to that one. But at the same time, I think his non-answer answers were telling.

Linki: Posting anyway

Linki 2: POSTING ANYWAY FOOLS

Linki 3: STOP POSTING AND LET ME POST HRRRRGRGRGHRRGRGRGGBGLBGLBELGELBBLRBBL

Return to “Previous Jobs”