ImageImage
ImageImage
Ricochet
Uomini D'onore (Man of Honor)
Posts in topic: 542

Re: Death Note Mafia [END]

Post by Ricochet »

MovingPictures07 wrote:
Ricochet wrote:Oh right, also: nine Mogi checks? Nine?? And did he assign anybody else post-mortem?
Oh, yes, Mogi checks! Let me reveal those. I knew there were still things we hadn't discussed/revealed.

1) thellama73 - correct - L
2) Turnip Head - correct - Sidoh
3) S~V~S - redirected - Hirokazu Ukita
4) Epignosis - correct - Suguru Shimura
5) zeek - redirected - Reiji Namikawa
6) Ricochet - redirected - Soichiro Yagami
7) Metalmarsh89 - correct - Ryuk
8) Made - correct - Masahiko Kida
9) Matahari - correct - Misa Amane (Second Kira)

Note he never checked FZ. :feb:

Also, he chose juliets as his successor, but she never went 48 hours without posting, and therefore did not receive a role check.
Well look at that dodge of a bullet.

What I still don't get is that his secrets were revealed Day 5, I think and he got killed Day 6. How did he get so many extra checks in this short interval?
Turnip Head
Root Vegetable
Posts in topic: 1001
Preferred Pronouns: they/their

Post by Turnip Head »

Ricochet wrote:
DharmaHelper wrote:
Ricochet wrote:Oh right, also: nine Mogi checks? Nine?? And did he assign anybody else post-mortem?
The reason we wanted to keep Mogi's role a secret was to avoid outting the successor. We looked over who it might be privately, I think we thought it was SD at one point.
I kept track of players activity and nobody stuck out as having went silent 48 hours.
We did the same thing. We never figured out who it was. We monitored everyone closely and nobody seemed to fit.
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum
Posts in topic: 488
Preferred Pronouns: any/all
Aka: Tangy

Post by Tangrowth »

DharmaHelper wrote:Most active topic:
Death Note Mafia [END]
(817 Posts / 24.50% of your posts)
:noble:

I was wondering if TH would hit 1,000. It seems he's at 996 at the moment.
Marmot
Marmot
Posts in topic: 719
Preferred Pronouns: they/them
Aka: Marmot

Post by Marmot »

Ricochet wrote:So I think I also want to inquire, MP and/or Team Light, what were the mechanics of using the DN and timing a kill with it (I ask this since I was the only DN eligible never to even be made familiair with this) and, to the best of knowledge, what kills were executed, which failed early on and who dunnit it, up until Bass started killing of course.
Let's see if I can recreate this to the best of my knowledge.

Night 1 - Daisy killed Long Con. This kill was to take place just after the Day 2 lynch, to get players thinking, and even worrying when the kill didn't happen normally.
Night 2 - Daisy killed SVS. This kill took place at exactly 2:30 PM EST, because we wanted to share with the thread (and Eloh) that we were paying attention.
Night 3 - Daisy killed boo, and Mata killed FZ. Both kills failed because boo was Rem and FZ was Near. Both kills were intended to happen immediately at the end of Night. We also gained BTSC with Mata that night AND lost Daisy's DN to TH.
Night 4 - Mata killed Aces. This kill we pushed back again just to keep the timing all over the place. We picked Aces because we thought that he was SVS's Penber partner. This was also my first (pretty lame) attempt at adding flavor to the NK.
Night 5 - Mata killed Zomba. This kill was immediate, because at this point we were certain, based on in-thread reads and everything, that Zomba was Naomi Penber. We were rewarded there.
Night 6 - Mata killed Russti - We finally took the Eye Deal, and we checked Russ and Epi. We also finally learned that one player could kill with the other's DN, so Daisy took the deal but killed with Mata's DN since Daisy was immune to lynches at the time. Since Epi wasn't a threat and Russ was Mogi, we sent a kill his way. We timed this one to occur exactly 48 hours after his previous post just to mess with him. The flavor in that NK was all MP's doing. I think...
Night 7 - Daisy killed bea - This time we checked Ricohet and bea. Ricochet was (surprisingly) Mikami, so of course we killed bea. The flavor there was all my doing. Bea showed me that picture when we were chatting via PM sometime, so I thought it would be perfect.
Night 8 - Daisy killed DH - We checked DH and juliets, so of course we attempted to kill the more dangerous role in DH. Unfortunately, he could not be NK'd at the time, after which that secret was revealed in his role. So we used Daisy's DN scrap to check Boomslang and BR during the Day 9 phase. Since Boomslang was Watari, we went ahead and killed him to get him out of the way. That was particularly helpful since llama ended up being lynched the next day.
Night 9 - There was no Night 9. But the Day 9 lynch told us for certain that FZ was Near (since she survived a NK and a lynch).
Night 10 - Bass killed Epi and juliets. Daisy passed both DN's to Higuchi this day, so Bass ended up with both. Boo communicated to us after we lost BTSC in thread that Bass was Higuchi, and aso took care of Mello and Near for us. Bass checked Epi, juliets, zeek, and DP. He killed Epi because he was Yotsuba and juliets because she had was the strongest detective of the three.
Night 11 - Bass killed BR and Rico. Well Bass killed BR because she was Yotsuba and Rico because he was Mikami. Bass also checked myself and Daisy that night, so he killed the only killable role left.
Night 12 - Daisy killed zeek and Mata. And that's game.

Banners and Stuff
Spoiler: show
My Syndicate Mafia Wins:

Full Games Civilian: Image

Mafia: Image Image Image Image

Independent: Image Image
Speed Games Civilian: Image Image Fiddler on the Roof

Heists Civilian: Image Image Image Image Image

MVP: RED vs BLUE
Burglaries Independent: The Theme Is Literally a Burglary
Special Games Civilian: Image Image Image Image

Independent: Image

My Syndicate Hosted Games:

Speed Games Image Image Image
Heists Image Image Image

Some other Banners:

2014 Sockys Image
2015 Sockys Image Image Image
Miscellaneous Image Image

Dragon D. Luffy wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 7:33 pm Just how many days of "let's yeet them tomorrow" can a mafioso survive?

The answer: all of them, if you are a marmot.
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

Ricochet wrote:
MovingPictures07 wrote:
Oh, yes, Mogi checks! Let me reveal those. I knew there were still things we hadn't discussed/revealed.

1) thellama73 - correct - L
2) Turnip Head - correct - Sidoh
3) S~V~S - redirected - Hirokazu Ukita
4) Epignosis - correct - Suguru Shimura
5) zeek - redirected - Reiji Namikawa
6) Ricochet - redirected - Soichiro Yagami
7) Metalmarsh89 - correct - Ryuk
8) Made - correct - Masahiko Kida
9) Matahari - correct - Misa Amane (Second Kira)

Note he never checked FZ. :feb:

Also, he chose juliets as his successor, but she never went 48 hours without posting, and therefore did not receive a role check.
Well look at that dodge of a bullet.

What I still don't get is that his secrets were revealed Day 5, I think and he got killed Day 6. How did he get so many extra checks in this short interval?
The 9th check was due to his secret secrets. The 48-hour intervals started immediately (hence why he didn't post Day 0). I could go back and double check the exact time frames, but I'm a bit too tired to do that tonight, so if Russ doesn't do that and you folks are interested, I'll take a look at it tomorrow and get back to you.
bea
Racketeer
Posts in topic: 179
Preferred Pronouns: She/her
Aka: Some call me.....Jen. But most call me Bea.

Post by bea »

DharmaHelper wrote:
Metalmarsh89 wrote:
Ricochet wrote:Special shout to my active Film baddie laureates for winning again alongside me,, even if we had no contact, even if TH hunted me. :noble: Really glad I helped TH. Oh w8, I missed the vote lol.
And you missed your cue to suicide. We knew who you were, lol, and we did want you to commit suicide at that time.

Linki @DH: A paragraph would do, maybe. Was it something from another player, or just the structure?
An argument could be made that the powers of the mafia were a little much to overcome, especially when two of the more powerful civ roles had to wait so long to use their own powers, but I'm not really too bothered by that, since I got to do a lot of decoding and stuff to keep me busy.

What did bother me was my interactions this game with certain players, that just took the fun out of it for me. :shrug:
I am truly sorry for my part in that. I attributed things to you that others said and I feel very badly for how I reacted to you DH. Please know that I adore you to death and I hope that you can forgive me for behaving so poorly. :hugs:
I was born to speak all mirth and no matter.... :wine:
Epignosis wrote:Bitch, my identity is my identity theft protection!
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

I am hoping Boomslang, FZ., Russtifinko, and those who haven't seen the endgame discussion yet check in, especially Russ, since I'm curious to hear them share their thoughts.
Marmot
Marmot

Post by Marmot »

bea wrote:
DharmaHelper wrote:
Metalmarsh89 wrote:
Ricochet wrote:Special shout to my active Film baddie laureates for winning again alongside me,, even if we had no contact, even if TH hunted me. :noble: Really glad I helped TH. Oh w8, I missed the vote lol.
And you missed your cue to suicide. We knew who you were, lol, and we did want you to commit suicide at that time.

Linki @DH: A paragraph would do, maybe. Was it something from another player, or just the structure?
An argument could be made that the powers of the mafia were a little much to overcome, especially when two of the more powerful civ roles had to wait so long to use their own powers, but I'm not really too bothered by that, since I got to do a lot of decoding and stuff to keep me busy.

What did bother me was my interactions this game with certain players, that just took the fun out of it for me. :shrug:
I am truly sorry for my part in that. I attributed things to you that others said and I feel very badly for how I reacted to you DH. Please know that I adore you to death and I hope that you can forgive me for behaving so poorly. :hugs:
I hope you will forgive me for making fun of you in life and in death. Your death post was entirely my doing, and Daisy and Mata even said it might be too harsh. :blush:

Banners and Stuff
My Syndicate Mafia Wins:

Heists Image Image Image

Some other Banners:

2014 Sockys Image

Dragon D. Luffy wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 7:33 pm Just how many days of "let's yeet them tomorrow" can a mafioso survive?

Marmot
Marmot

Post by Marmot »

Oh shit, BDH is online. I better hide. :Uhh:

Banners and Stuff
My Syndicate Mafia Wins:

Heists Image Image Image

Some other Banners:

2014 Sockys Image

Turnip Head
Root Vegetable

Post by Turnip Head »

MovingPictures07 wrote:
Death Note Mafia [END]

That's gotta be some sort of goddamn record. Easy to talk a lot when you can't be killed and you have to be lynched to win :P
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

Turnip Head wrote:
MovingPictures07 wrote:
Death Note Mafia [END]

That's gotta be some sort of goddamn record. Easy to talk a lot when you can't be killed and you have to be lynched to win :P
Indeed. It is definitely a record on The Syndicate. I would venture to say it's a record total... but I'm not sure.

I am pretty sure the original Recruitment Mafia by LC and BR had 9,000 and some change posts on The Piano, and I am also pretty sure that it's the longest mafia game since I've started playing (mid-2010), if not before then.
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

Turnip Head wrote:
MovingPictures07 wrote:
Death Note Mafia [END]

Somehow it seems like a wasted opportunity if you don't post at least 3 more times. :P
Turnip Head
Root Vegetable

Post by Turnip Head »

Maybe I'll push it up to 999, then just leave it there. Pull a Dave Chappelle and just walk away.
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

Turnip Head wrote:Maybe I'll push it up to 999, then just leave it there. Pull a Dave Chappelle and just walk away.
Whatever floats your shinigami.
Ricochet

Post by Ricochet »

So this should have been my first post-game post, but I was too anxious not to miss the party. Good thing I woke up after two hours of sleep in the train and had mobile signal to check the thread.

Thank you, MP, for an incredible game etc. etc. I loved how detailed and close to canon it was and how crazy and exciting it unfolded. The level of discussion and gaming here was really insane, I initially felt it was a completely different league of Mafia gaming. I think I hinted in a Day 0 / Day 1 post that this would perhaps be too much for me, but I'm glad I stayed in it. Up until D9, I kept track of everything everybody said, no kidding, just look at this crazy psycho stuff.

I also started out this game thinking I have no chance in hell to fulfill my win condition. Which is why, again, I am stunned I didn't have to do basically anything to complete it - I was going to say, except to survive, but that didn't really feel like a real risk either. MP actually PM'd me on Day 1, thinking I was a goner after my L/Watari BTSC speculations made Epig and a few others wary. But then he himself was impressed with how much I slipped out of everyone's radar, afterwards. Only TH gunned for me real hard (I said it was for the wrong reason, didn't I, buddy? ;)), but it didn't catch either. I got real lucky seeing that most players (even FZ.!, wow) found me on the level, "logical". I still tangled myself way too much in the deductions game for my own good, but yet again, only TH was shouting "DELIBERATE".

Spacedaisy was simply amazing. I have the feeling some wedding vows are about to be modified to include "...and the best Kira a Sockface could ever ask for". And she made my win so, so, so much easier. Imagine having to clean up if a big player like boo, Epig or Llama would have been Light. After Day 7 or so, she stilled received no votes whatsoever, so my shortlist was Bass, Boomslang, DP, Juliets, Matahari, Spacedaisy and zeek, but out of these I already had the feeling Spacedaisy would fit the profile perfectly. I got confirmation a day later. I could have still lost on the last hurdle, if zeek would have been a Yotsuba, since then Kami wouldn't have needed to "clean" that vote.

Of course, my only real regret in the game is never getting to use the DN. :sigh: I side-commented a lot in private with MP, begging him to give me the DN, playing in character in my adoration of Kami, hoping Kami won't accidentally kill me etc. My Mikami tactic was to pretty much be in the middle of any possible chart. Lying in wait, since I'm so goddamn vanilla, but never low posting. Neither looking like a civ Kami would kill, nor like a weasel the detectives might worry about (too much). I have no remorse that the Higuchi-player killed me, because this was actually what I feared most, that Higuchi (or the Yotsubas if they would have gotten to vote) would never care who they kill or that Higuchi would have a much more self-interested win condition (yep, even to the point of betraying Kami!). Bass turning out to be Higuchi certainly does make all the debate on his gameplay and RL impact interesting. I probably still wouldn't ever go the lengths Epig did, but I tend to agree now that no extent of a RL excuse should be given the free pass.

As I said earlier, I do think the game was slightly unbalanced, mostly because of the failed lynches (which could have amounted to a total of 8, whilst Kira could have missfired a lot less, especially with the Eye Deal) and Near/Mello being vanilla for so long (and risk being checked and removed right after L's death, which in fact happened), but I'm willing not to get into that much detail, especially if the Host is satisfied. Nevertheless, I am amazed how this could have still swung the detectives' way, with TH's crazy extra amount of votes and all.

Browsing over the other win conditions, I'm a bit surprised how heavily the love triangle issue was implemented for Misa and Takada. I expected Misa to have to survive the game as her win condition, not just Rem's - but that would have really not been feasible, considering Light's win condition and unreasonable for the Misa-player. Ryuk had it pretty easy, no wonder MM played so cocky. He would have probably lost only if Matsuda, Near or Mello stayed alive long enough to end the game quicker.

I think that's about it. I'll complete my spreadsheets and post them later.

This also concludes my Mafia experience for now, otherwise I risk losing in RL a lot more. I'm very glad I won the two games I liked the most. I think Death Note proved to me that I'm still very much attracted to the theme, but also warming up to the risky and challenging types. I had a great time playing with everybody. See you again soon, though probably not until late July/August, except if a really exciting new game surfaces.
Marmot
Marmot

Post by Marmot »

@Rico, yeah no kidding. The only real vote Daisy received all game.
zeek wrote:I looked at the player list on D12 and asked myself who I trusted the most... and then voted for that person. It's a testament to the game you played, Daisy, that the only reasoning I had was that Light was probably playing the game of their life.
So yeah. Helluva job Daisy.

Banners and Stuff
My Syndicate Mafia Wins:

Heists Image Image Image

Some other Banners:

2014 Sockys Image

bea
Racketeer
Posts in topic: 179
Preferred Pronouns: She/her
Aka: Some call me.....Jen. But most call me Bea.

Post by bea »

Metalmarsh89 wrote:
bea wrote:
DharmaHelper wrote:
Metalmarsh89 wrote:

I hope you will forgive me for making fun of you in life and in death. Your death post was entirely my doing, and Daisy and Mata even said it might be too harsh. :blush:
LOL - no harm done on my end. I just feel badly that In my reading rush I ascribed it to DH. I still feel very badly about that.

I learned something about myself this game. Apparently there is a critical mass point where I will freak out and go batshit crazy no matter what I try to do to avoid it. I come back angry and not thinking clearly - you and boo did an excellent job of exploiting it. It was all I could do to not throw my computer when I read boo claim to try to be chanelling SVS. :srsnod:

As soon as I read my lynch I was in bts yelling at DP - NEWT'S HANDS ARE ALL OVER THAT FRACKING POST!!! I knew when I read it were it came from. I told him the whole story about how we had JUST been talking about that. I thought for sure Mata had sent the kill in and you were the puppet master behind the scenes. I will have my payback. I may forget about it for a few years (just ask aces. I forget about his all the time. :p) but it will happen.

Ok - so as far as my very small contribution to the game. I got bts with DP on day 2 because he voted for llama. Once we got bts, and I realized *why* he got bts - I knew llama had to be L. Soooo - when llama pulled me into chat after the whole eloh thing, I was SO paranoid with all the unrevealed secrets etc that that was some crazy trick by light to get me to spill what I knew, that I wouldn't believe that I was really in chat with L untill I quoted from the book I have that llama wrote and made him identify what it was from. - Hence *his* post about my paranoia. :haha: Man. You have NO idea how many times I've been burned by trusting the wrong people in bts. Oh yes LC and Mata. - You know what I'm talking aobut. :srsnod:

I saw alot while I was dead and tried to help out DP as much as I could but then work kicked up again and I wasn't around. I tried to get him to build a case on mata based on the recruitment game. LOL. My pestering may have scared the poor boy for life. I never saw Daisy as light coming though - so well done daisy - you should be proud of yourself there!!

I know we kept trying to figure out when the best time to use DP's power was, but we could never tell when the note transfered or not. Since we couldn't pin anyone but the unlynchables into specific baddie roles, we didn't know when to target them. Also I was the fail at blocking people. I kept hoping that the couple times there was no kills was because I found my target. *sigh*
I was born to speak all mirth and no matter.... :wine:
Epignosis wrote:Bitch, my identity is my identity theft protection!
zeek
Money Launderer
Posts in topic: 154

Post by zeek »

Enjoy your break, Rico!
FZ.
Racketeer
Posts in topic: 522

Post by FZ. »

Well....................

Congrats to the winners :nicenod:
Especially TH, who I thought tried to help the detectives as much as he could, and never understood why people weren't giving him more credit for it. And I knew you'd know me better than anyone.

Also, Rico did fool me. I knew that TH suspected him, but just couldn't find anything wrong with how he played, so props from me.

Daisy, I think you did very well, although every time I thought you were suspicious, I told myself that it's the travelling from here to there you kept talking about. But when you started getting really pissed at Epi, I thought you were good. So good job :)

DH, I hope I didn't take away the fun from your game, but if I did, I apologize.

As for me outing myself, I never planned to do it, and I went many days without saying anything, but instead, fighting as strong as I could (boo to all those who said an unlynchable civ wouldn't fight so hard), because I felt that's what I had to do, and because I thought if I did get lynched, when the baddies gained BTSC, they would know I was either Near or Mello.
But, after Epi decided Russ checked me out, and came out with the probability factor, I thought that if I get lynched, the baddies know who I am, and the civvies think that I survived it because I was a Kira, and I was worried that once L was killed, Mello would NK me. I thought it would be best to just put it out there. Ironically, it turns out Russ didn't even target me, so that's that :rolleyes: .
At one point I also thought llama was L, especially after how he posted on himself, and I thought he probably tried to summon me to a BTSC and failed and thought that combined with Russ' "results", would make him positive I was bad.

In my defence, I wasn't lying about starting the game not wanting to play, and doing it only because MP was really excited about my role and thought I would do really good in it (shows how much he knows :P ), and I felt I couldn't disappoint him. And then, because I was in a foul mood starting it, it got people suspicious of me and it only escalated from that point on. I admit I was really frustrated this game, and even though most of the time I thought llama and Epi were just having tunnel vision, there were times where I started doubting it, because I couldn't understand why they weren't even considering I was not bad. But I understand where Epi was coming from, and I might have done a lot of things the same. That said, Epi, I think this is something we all do, and maybe we should learn from (though I'm pretty sure neither you or me will :P ). We decide someone is guilty and then everything they say is used as evidence they are what we said they were. That's why I do use "emotions" or "intuition", because it sometimes saves me from myself. If you get a feel of the person, it might help you decide better. I never said don't use logic. I even said a few times that your cases were the best.
I still prefer you hosting me than butting heads with me :P But I really wanted to play with you because I usually play your games.

I am disappointed in Bass for the emotional manipulation he used on us. I thought his attempt at making it better the day after was not enough. We all literally didn't lynch him because we felt bad for suspecting him because he had a death in the family, and he used that by saying he wasn't here and that's why everything he wrote was BS. It doesn't even matter if he was lynchable at the time or not. he shouldn't have done it.
That said, I would do the same thing again, in terms of not posting, because I want to trust people to know where to put the line, and I think being considerate is more important than winning the game.

llama, don't beat yourself up, I think you did a very good job with some of the things, while not so good in others...We all do that most of the games. Sorry I got angry at points. I still love playing with you.

MP, I think it was a very exciting and creative game, and obviously, thoroughly planned and executed. I'm not sure these types of games are for me, because I get lost in all the mechanics, secrets and complicated roles and win conditions, and I can't keep up. Maybe it's why some people considered me bad because I was supposed to keep up with everything. I just couldn't. I have to keep a lot of information in my head in RL, and I guess I don't have enough room :P
I hope I didn't disappoint you with the way I played. It was really hard to focus on finding baddies when I had to defend myself so much :shrug:
As for the mechanics, I do agree with those who said that too many unlynchable baddies is very frustrating. I get that each team could win, but even though TH tried to help the civvies, he didn't have to, which means that this was something to consider when planning. Also, other than Mello, who could only use his power after L died, or maybe Near, also when L died, the only way we could win was by lynching the baddies. So if they can't be lynched, you feel like there's no point in even trying to find them. The most important remark, in my opinion would be that we not only had to find baddies, which I think we did pretty good, by the way, we had to find the right baddie every day, and the probability of that happening was very low. I used to be a very sore loser, and even though I sometimes still take it hard, I'd like to think I've grown since I started playing mafia, and that this point of view would have been voiced by me even if I had won....though probably not :P

Still, with all the frustration, the outing and the FU, which I've never used in a game, neither as a baddie or a civ, but agree with DH, would never have said as a baddie, I enjoyed playing this game. There were twists and turns left and right, and never a dull moment, so congrats on all of that. You managed to suck me in. Thanks!! :D
Image Image ImageImage
ImageImage
FZ.
Racketeer

Post by FZ. »

**That said, I would do the same thing again, in terms of not voting him, because I want to trust people to know where to put the line, and I think being considerate is more important than winning the game.
Image Image ImageImage
ImageImage
Ricochet

Post by Ricochet »

Reading your post-game thoughts, FZ., I tend to agree now that an unlynchable detective would have probably had more problems after surviving a lynch, due to Team Light gradually forming and becoming aware of each other, leaving room to "hide" only for a third Shinigami (who, it turns out, had to do with best to out himself) and Higuchi (which people wouldn't have believed much, because of their fixation on Epignosis), but I still believe an effort to conceal this till the bitter end would have been better than thinking "outing" is "preventing" anything. It seems that Team Light deduced your and DH's roles from failed kills, anyway - which leads back to a problem, perhaps, with the mechanics.

Sorry again for gunning you. I was aware already who Kami (Light) was, so I figured you must be Mello or Near, but I had to pretend you are still an option for Light. I'm glad if you ultimately enjoyed this, because I remember well your disappointment in being killed early in previous games (one time by myself and my team, in Film :blush: ). Even if so debateable, I still think your performance was really great.
FZ.
Racketeer

Post by FZ. »

Ricochet wrote:Reading your post-game thoughts, FZ., I tend to agree now that an unlynchable detective would have probably had more problems after surviving a lynch, due to Team Light gradually forming and becoming aware of each other, leaving room to "hide" only for a third Shinigami (who, it turns out, had to do with best to out himself) and Higuchi (which people wouldn't have believed much, because of their fixation on Epignosis), but I still believe an effort to conceal this till the bitter end would have been better than thinking "outing" is "preventing" anything. It seems that Team Light deduced your and DH's roles from failed kills, anyway - which leads back to a problem, perhaps, with the mechanics.

Sorry again for gunning you. I was aware already who Kami (Light) was, so I figured you must be Mello or Near, but I had to pretend you are still an option for Light. I'm glad if you ultimately enjoyed this, because I remember well your disappointment in being killed early in previous games (one time by myself and my team, in Film :blush: ). Even if so debateable, I still think your performance was really great.
In retrospect, outing myself make even more sense, knowing that the baddies already knew who I was. I often have no problem with outing other civvies, because I'm one of those who gives credit to the baddies and think they know a whole lot more than civvies do, and even try to read everything in the thread to get information from the "hints". So, I think giving the civvies that knowledge is important. And what happened in this game only proves it. Detectives aren't guaranteed to "follow everything", because they're only one person with limited powers, and sometimes clueless, while baddies each contribute to understanding what is going on, and usually have more powers at their disposal. I think that in light of everything that's been revealed, outing myself was the better option. If some people would just care to listen :P , it might have even made a difference.

In any case, you did what you should have, and I think you played really really well. :) Yeah, it was nice to get to play a little more finally, but I was targeted for a kill. It just failed. I think people don't like me :P
Image Image ImageImage
ImageImage
Ricochet

Post by Ricochet »

Don't know why I said I have no remorse Bass killed me, I meant no grudge.
Ricochet

Post by Ricochet »

Also, bannerzz pls
Ricochet

Post by Ricochet »

Death Note - Gameplay
Death Note - Votes
Death Note - Roles
Death Note - Theory

Never received a public vote throughout the game
  • long-term: Boomslang, Juliets, myself
  • short-term: Long Con, SVS, Zomberella
Juliets, did you ever "mobilize" the Task Force members?

Did Llama fail BTSC with someone when he offered a second read on Russ?
Ricochet

Post by Ricochet »

Matahari
Drug Dealer
Posts in topic: 137

Post by Matahari »

FZ, I wanted you to know that on our first check, Boo worded it it really well, but it has disappeared from my messages so I can't copy it. We checked you, but told MP to only kill you if your win condition would cause my death. When you didn't die, we were left to wonder if you were our teammate, or Near, or whether I had just been blocked. Which is why I flip-flopped on you many times when Epi was trying to get you lynched. I didn't want to take the chance on lynching someone on our team.

I thought you were amazing, the way you never gave up. When I'm a lynchable civ, I will try to defend, but after a certain point, you run out of defense, because you haven't done anything wrong and don't quite get why the net has been closing in around you. Anyway, you were quite impressive.

As for all the votes listed in my name, they were all for the same reason, and decided on by the whole team. Either we thought someone was a detective, or we knew who they were and we needed them dead, that simple.

As far as deaths in families go, anyone who has ever had that happen, knows that it does indeed interfere with your game play. And it gets frustrating, when people come at you for not keeping up, especially when you know its true. You may be a civ, or you may be mafia, either way, (like Epi said), it can still mess your game up alot. Knowing that Bass had asked for a replacement, but couldn't get one, gets my respect that he stuck it out.
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

Wow, Rico, that's outstanding analysis, especially the .pdf representing the spreadsheet where you summarized what everyone said up until D9. That's truly amazing. I can totally see why you'd need to take a break, especially since you have pulled off some crazy baddie wins... and with how intense this game was. :P

FZ., I'm really glad you never gave up, and you kept fighting regardless. I felt SO BAD for you, though, especially since I know you weren't finding your footing amid all the crazy mechanics and that's why people were finding you bad... and if you did get lynched, you would have survived, and people would likely think you were still bad. It was a vicious cycle. But I'm glad you kept playing and enjoyed it in the end.

I appreciate the comments and feedback, guys, I really do. Thank you so much for not only playing up to the level of intensity that my game design required but for taking it in stride and offering me the feedback about your experience thereafter.

My Naruto game that I'll be submitting into the next queue and hosting with Bass_the_Clever will sort of be a brain twin sequel to this game, although the mechanics will work very differently inevitably, and the game structure will inevitably be different, and the themes are different (but both are anime). The biggest difference is that every civilian will have multiple night actions that they can perform every night. That said, a few of the ways that mechanics worked out here will inevitably influence some similar mechanics and thus how Bass and I run that game, so I really appreciate the commentary, and I do apologize for the frustration this game not only for detectives but all around. I knew the unlynchable aspects could create a really frustrating environment this game, especially for civilians, so I tried to take that in mind when I crafted the game structure and stuck with it anyway because I felt I could balance it out through mechanics. In the end, I took the risk of staying more representative of theme and more unconventional, which I will admit took some creative thinking from all parties in approaching the game (seeing Daisy and her group, as well as TH and DH, BTS constantly coming up with their schemes was truly something else).

Ricochet wrote:
Juliets, did you ever "mobilize" the Task Force members?

Did Llama fail BTSC with someone when he offered a second read on Russ?
She did not. I'd be interested to hear if she ever considered it though and when.

He never did, actually! He brought back Russ into chat to see what new checks he had made.
Matahari
Drug Dealer

Post by Matahari »

[*]As for all the votes listed in my name,

should say all the deaths listed in my name
Turnip Head
Root Vegetable

Post by Turnip Head »

FZ, I felt so bad for you this game, but you kept playing as hard as you could even when the whole thread was against you, and that was awesome. Most people would have given up by then, some people basically admitted as much, but not you. Too bad you didn't get to play your game because of all the heat on you, that's always frustrating. But I'm glad you had fun anyways!

I do not think any less of Bass for using the excuse he did. Sometimes you gotta do whatever you can to win. I think he regretted his choice later, I just hope he learned something from the experience. I also think it's important to note that even if RL is affecting your mafia behavior, you really can't expect others to believe you about it, because time and time again baddies have used such circumstances to their advantage, and it happened again here. I try to not let RL circumstances affect my judgment on a player, but sometimes it does, and it's happened enough times now that I should know I can never give these players a free pass.

I just want everyone to know this, that if you bring up RL stuff to defend against an accusation made from me, I will probably work under the assumption that you're a baddie using the RL defense to get me off your case. It won't work on me anymore, baddies, so don't even bother. You've been warned.
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

I think that's a very good approach to RL situations. It's a tough call, as either a civilian or a baddie, because it's inevitable that RL will affect your mafia behavior in so many ways, but especially more in especially crazy RL situations. Nonetheless, I think the approach you outlined there, TH, is a good one.
Marmot
Marmot

Post by Marmot »

boo would be all for lynching those non-participants. :P

Banners and Stuff
My Syndicate Mafia Wins:

Heists Image Image Image

Some other Banners:

2014 Sockys Image

Matahari
Drug Dealer

Post by Matahari »

Turnip Head wrote:FZ, I felt so bad for you this game, but you kept playing as hard as you could even when the whole thread was against you, and that was awesome. Most people would have given up by then, some people basically admitted as much, but not you. Too bad you didn't get to play your game because of all the heat on you, that's always frustrating. But I'm glad you had fun anyways!

I do not think any less of Bass for using the excuse he did. Sometimes you gotta do whatever you can to win. I think he regretted his choice later, I just hope he learned something from the experience. I also think it's important to note that even if RL is affecting your mafia behavior, you really can't expect others to believe you about it, because time and time again baddies have used such circumstances to their advantage, and it happened again here. I try to not let RL circumstances affect my judgment on a player, but sometimes it does, and it's happened enough times now that I should know I can never give these players a free pass.

I just want everyone to know this, that if you bring up RL stuff to defend against an accusation made from me, I will probably work under the assumption that you're a baddie using the RL defense to get me off your case. It won't work on me anymore, baddies, so don't even bother. You've been warned.
I agree whole-heartedly with what Epig was saying about RL, of course it didn't suit the team's purposes at the time for me to say it. All types of rl issues can interfere with game play, especially death in the family. But it doesn't and shouldn't interfere with the rest of the player's game play. If you think they are bad, go for it. If you're a baddie and just trying to build a case on someone for weak game play, go for that too. Having dealt with 3 family deaths in the last 6 years, and always in a game at the time, I know its easy to get frustrated in the thread because of someone saying you are trying to hide, or skim by, or whatever. I spent one game hoping they would hurry and just lynch me because I couldn't deal with the game, but the host couldn't find a replacement. So, yeah, I do agree that you still have to play, no matter what a person is going through.

The difference with me, I think, is that I didn't see Bass's comment as being untrue. Maybe because we knew he had been seeking a replacement. I saw it as a genuine frustration post, not an excuse. Either way, had I been a civvie, I may have been inclined to vote him if I believed he was bad. :shrug:
Bass_the_Clever
Money Launderer
Posts in topic: 126

Post by Bass_the_Clever »

I'm glad you understand mata. Thank you. It was a tough spot to me it seemed like everyone was like "its cool to say you have RL stuff if you are civvie but if you are bad you can say that."
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
acrosstheaether wrote:If Bass_the_Clever is mafia, he is a clever mafia.
Ricochet

Post by Ricochet »

Little does TH know that me taking a break is actually a RL excuse which to help me win in a certain meta game. :mafia:
Bass_the_Clever
Money Launderer

Well rico I hope you are back in time for Naruto Mafia. It should be epic.
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

Bass_the_Clever wrote:Well rico I hope you are back in time for Naruto Mafia. It should be epic.
This.

I'm super stoked to utilize everything I've learned as a host and go for the broke to host one crazy ass game with Bass for that one. :feb:
Ricochet

Post by Ricochet »

We'll see. :mafia: I like One Piece and Bleach more.
Marmot
Marmot

Post by Marmot »

How about Fullmetal Alchemist?

Banners and Stuff
My Syndicate Mafia Wins:

Heists Image Image Image

Some other Banners:

2014 Sockys Image

Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

Metalmarsh89 wrote:How about Fullmetal Alchemist?
You and I know that will be the long-awaited third game in a trio of crazy anime-themed MP (and co-host) games. :feb:
Bass_the_Clever
Money Launderer

All there of those would be great. I love bleach and FMA i just started watching one piece. I was thinking about maybe making a blue exorcist speed game.
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

Bass_the_Clever wrote:All there of those would be great. I love bleach and FMA i just started watching one piece. I was thinking about maybe making a blue exorcist speed game.
Do it. :srsnod:
Marmot
Marmot

Post by Marmot »

MovingPictures07 wrote:
You and I know that will be the long-awaited third game in a trio of crazy anime-themed MP (and co-host) games. :feb:
Ah, but of course. :dark:

Speaking of which, finals are over for me, so I've got time to spare.

Banners and Stuff
My Syndicate Mafia Wins:

Heists Image Image Image

Some other Banners:

2014 Sockys Image

Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

Metalmarsh89 wrote:
MovingPictures07 wrote:
Ah, but of course. :dark:

Speaking of which, finals are over for me, so I've got time to spare.
Duly noted. :dark:
Matahari
Drug Dealer

Post by Matahari »

Bass_the_Clever wrote:I'm glad you understand mata. Thank you. It was a tough spot to me it seemed like everyone was like "its cool to say you have RL stuff if you are civvie but if you are bad you can say that."
No problem. I was a civ during one of my family deaths, and mafia during the other 2. It was equally hard and frustrating to deal with ppl's posts no matter which alignment I was. The only real difference is when you're bad, you are also letting down teammates so there is extra pressure to try and defend yourself. I reached a point once where I wanted to say 'fuck it, just lynch me' but I don't know if I said it or not. :p probably did.

Once again, thank you MP, this game was so much fun to play, even if it took me half-way through to even begin to understand it.
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

Matahari wrote:
Bass_the_Clever wrote:I'm glad you understand mata. Thank you. It was a tough spot to me it seemed like everyone was like "its cool to say you have RL stuff if you are civvie but if you are bad you can say that."
No problem. I was a civ during one of my family deaths, and mafia during the other 2. It was equally hard and frustrating to deal with ppl's posts no matter which alignment I was. The only real difference is when you're bad, you are also letting down teammates so there is extra pressure to try and defend yourself. I reached a point once where I wanted to say 'fuck it, just lynch me' but I don't know if I said it or not. :p probably did.

Once again, thank you MP, this game was so much fun to play, even if it took me half-way through to even begin to understand it.
I understand as well. My grandma died at the beginning of Spacedaisy's Homestar Runner game, and it completely affected the way I played that game, especially since I was under constant suspicion in a way very similar to FZ. was that game. It was a huge rollercoaster of emotions, that's for sure.

And no problem. I'm really glad you and so many others enjoyed it, even though I know it was a taxing experience for us all. Haha. And you performed excellently; I was so insanely happy to have you, boo, and Aces in it for your comeback games.
Black Rock
Loan Shark
Posts in topic: 148

Post by Black Rock »

MovingPictures07 wrote:
Turnip Head wrote:
MovingPictures07 wrote:
Death Note Mafia [END]

Indeed. It is definitely a record on The Syndicate. I would venture to say it's a record total... but I'm not sure.

I am pretty sure the original Recruitment Mafia by LC and BR had 9,000 and some change posts on The Piano, and I am also pretty sure that it's the longest mafia game since I've started playing (mid-2010), if not before then.
I thought we broke 10 or it was close. I don't think it's record was ever broken on TP though. We had 40+ players to start. The good ol' days when that was possible. Maybe we can get up near 40 for Recruitment 4.
ImageImage
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

Black Rock wrote:
MovingPictures07 wrote:
Turnip Head wrote:
MovingPictures07 wrote:
Death Note Mafia [END]

I thought we broke 10 or it was close. I don't think it's record was ever broken on TP though. We had 40+ players to start. The good ol' days when that was possible. Maybe we can get up near 40 for Recruitment 4.
You may be right, I couldn't remember if it ended up breaking 10,000 or not. And I'm pretty sure it never got broken on TP or elsewhere, but I'm not positive. Indeed, that'd be fantastic, and I think we can do it. :noble:
S~V~S
Captain Obvious
Posts in topic: 198

Post by S~V~S »

I just checked LOST:Revolution and that had 7955.

That started out with about 50 I want to say?
Skip softly, my moonbeams, for I have heard tell
That the stairs up to heaven lead straight down to hell

Return to “Previous Jobs”