Posts in topic: 769
Preferred Pronouns: He/him/his/himself
Aka: Jay | JJJ | J3 | 3J | jagged | Jimmy | KOFM

Re: Death and Taxes: An Economics Mafia [DAY 1]

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

MovingPictures07 wrote:
JaggedJimmyJay wrote:
MovingPictures07 wrote:
JaggedJimmyJay wrote:i have to take note that Epignosis is active lurking right now. he is aware of the game, seemingly following the game, and contributing nothing to it. at face value and independent of meta (which i cannot know beyond MP's descriptions), i find that suspicious.
Who is more suspicious to you at the moment, Epi or DDL?
Epi. i don't really find DDL especially suspicious. he has made himself available to be pressured and responded to it in a neutral or better way. i don't take immediate issue with his commentary.
Fair enough. I have no opinion on Epi at the moment.

I think if DDL is mafia right now, he's playing a really risky game and is convincingly lying to me, so I'll echo your sentiment there. I do find it curious since you seemed to respond to his earlier post with a phantom vote.

If you want Epi to respond, where's the phantom vote? :P
the phantom votes are fun, but i admit they really have no actual function. without being a REAL vote, a lot of the "pressure" inherent to placing a vote is lost. but why not!

Epignosis, be prodded you!
Spoiler: show
Overall: 74-58 (.56) | Town 49-42 (.54) | Mafia 19-11 (.63) | Independent 6-4 (.60)

The Syndicate: Town 23-27; Mafia 11-5; Indy 5-1 | RateYourMusic: Town 14-13; Mafia 5-4; Indy 0-3 | Mafia Universe: Town 6-0; Mafia 1-0 | Student Doctor Network: Town 2-1; Mafia 1-0 | HeroClixRealms: Town 1-0; Mafia 0-1 | Bulbagarden: Mafia 0-1; Indy 1-0 | 2+2 POG: Town 1-0 | Naruto Forums: Town 0-1 | Personality Café: Town 1-0 | Vendetta Strada: Town 0-1 | Mafia451: Town 1-0 | Wintreath: Mafia 1-0

Awards:

The Syndicate

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Student Doctor Network

ImageImageImageImageImage

Rate Your Music

Best Townie, Maffies 4, 8 and 9
Best Scum, Maffies 3
Best Moderator, Maffies 8 and 9
Most Valuable Player, Maffies 7 and 9
Best Roleplay, Maffies 4 and 6
Spirit Award, Maffies 9
Hall of Fame inductee, Maffies 4

Mafia Universe

Mafia Championship Finalist, 2015 and 2020
Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage[-Mass Effect Mafia banner-]ImageImageImageImage
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum
Posts in topic: 722
Preferred Pronouns: they/any
Aka: tangy

Post by Tangrowth »

That's true, but I'm still digging the phantom votes, and one could argue that changeable votes offer little pressure if the perception is RVS-based pressure anyway.

For example, RDW pressured me hard in my first game back recently, but I didn't take his vote seriously for a second, even though I did respond to him about it.
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

In fact, while I've come to appreciate changeable votes more in playing games on other sites, I still generally dislike them here, and hated them with a passion at first, since it makes it much harder to track and analyze voting patterns. I'm so accustomed to the poll way of voting; since the bolded vote is optional, it just always seemed like too much unnecessary chaos for the civilians and too much flexibility for the mafia.

When votes aren't changeable, mafia have to commit to a fabricated suspicion and don't have the leisure to switch it at the last minute.
Sloonei
Cap'n Sloonbeard
Posts in topic: 191
Preferred Pronouns: he/his/him

Post by Sloonei »

MovingPictures07 wrote:
Sloonei wrote:
Dragon D. Luffy wrote:
I think you all (you, MP, and Jay and some other guy whose name I forgot) look like town. In other words, I also have no scumreads.

Thus, if I had to vote now, I'd vote for some of the others, despite the fact I have nearly zero data on any of them. It's a matter of probability, really.

Thank god I don't have to vote now, so I hope the others come and talk so I get more vote candidates.
Why do you feel comfortable enough to say that we're all town reads?
Since when does "look like town" equate to a town read?
Since I decided that those arrangements of words are similar enough in meaning to make that assertion.
My banners:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Golden
The Coward
Posts in topic: 294

Post by Golden »

It's not often that I say this...

In fact, it has never happened before...

I tried to catch up during lunch and read page 4. Pushed refresh. We are up to page 6.

Clearly, this is not Syndicate culture. It's insane!!! I'm used to being the loud one. I think I'm about to be overshadowed. But it's interesting. Hope some of our newbies who are used to quieter things (eg Tiny Bubbles) can keep up!
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Canucklehead wrote:Civ Golden is a hurricane of self-assurance.
G-Man wrote: Coward
Golden
The Coward

Post by Golden »

And so I do declare - I can't catch up at work. Will have to wait till I'm home to post anything meaningful.
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

Sloonei wrote:
MovingPictures07 wrote:
Sloonei wrote:
Dragon D. Luffy wrote:
I think you all (you, MP, and Jay and some other guy whose name I forgot) look like town. In other words, I also have no scumreads.

Thus, if I had to vote now, I'd vote for some of the others, despite the fact I have nearly zero data on any of them. It's a matter of probability, really.

Thank god I don't have to vote now, so I hope the others come and talk so I get more vote candidates.
Since I decided that those arrangements of words are similar enough in meaning to make that assertion.
I find it notable that you seem to be aggressively questioning DDL for his inability to commit to reads, and thereafter for a comment saying that active posters all "look like town", yet you have not issued an opinion on anyone, including DDL, yourself.

Hesitant?
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

Golden wrote:It's not often that I say this...

I tried to catch up during lunch and read page 4. Pushed refresh. We are up to page 6.

Clearly, this is not Syndicate culture. It's insane!!! I'm used to being the loud one. I think I'm about to be overshadowed. But it's interesting. Hope some of our newbies who are used to quieter things (eg Tiny Bubbles) can keep up!
I like to think I can be as loud as you at least, but sometimes I don't want to be. :P
Dragon D. Luffy
The Pirate
Posts in topic: 358
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by Dragon D. Luffy »

FFS, 7 posts in the time it took me to write this one.
sanmateo wrote:
Dragon D. Luffy wrote:
JaggedJimmyJay wrote:
Dragon D. Luffy wrote:
Sloonei wrote:
Dragon D. Luffy wrote:And I like to call people scum. Defenses are a great way to get reactions.
you've not called anyone scum. in fact, you've made assertions of scumminess but in each case offered a caveat to relieve the pressure inherent to those assertions.

ergo, you're scum. :)
Thing is, I don't think any of the active players are scum right now. If I had to vote right now, I'd vote for one of the inactive ones. I only see small possibilities. So I explore them since I don't have anything better. But I don't want to directly call people scum on something that is only a small possibility, at the risk of saying something stupid. When I see someone that looks more scummy than not to me, i'll point it out.
why are you willing to go out on a limb and say everyone here so far is town? because you did mention you thought sloonei could've scum-slipped. so you did point something out but now you're not gonna do that anymore because people mentioned it was suss.

has sloonei done anything to change your mind on what you said was a possibility?
He didn't. I never thought he was more likely to be mafia than town. But I saw a possibility of him being mafia, so I decided to explore it.
MovingPictures07 wrote:Committing to slight civilian read on DDL. I believe him.
Thanks. But I think I'm having a deja-vu here. Last time we played a game together, I was mafia, you were town, and you thought I was town for a long time, going as far as using your message ability to tell other people that you thought I was town. In a way, I managed to trick you. I even let you live for the entire game because you were trusting me more than anyone else was.

Now, may be just me, but usually when I'm tricked by a mafia players, I become very suspicious of them. There are people in Naruto Forums who I'll never say I trust unless they give me a very good reason to. So I think it's strange that you trust me considering everyone else is suspecting me, based on my behavior that even I agree is somewhat scummy. Do you usually trust people that easily, MP?

And Jay, to answer that question, if I had to vote right now, I'd vote MP for the reason I just stated. Though right now, I'm more interested in seeing his reaction than actually voting.
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

Actually, that's not true, I'm a posting machine. Usually it's just my RL schedule that gets in my way. But I do feel your posts generally have better content than mine.
Sloonei
Cap'n Sloonbeard

Post by Sloonei »

MovingPictures07 wrote:
Sloonei wrote:
MovingPictures07 wrote:
Sloonei wrote:
Dragon D. Luffy wrote:

I find it notable that you seem to be aggressively questioning DDL for his inability to commit to reads, and thereafter for a comment saying that active posters all "look like town", yet you have not issued an opinion on anyone, including DDL, yourself.

Hesitant?
Yes, that is one way to describe me right now.
My banners:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
JaggedJimmyJay
The Brassiere of The Syndicate

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

truth be told many RYM games don't start this actively either. i think it's that many new players to The Syndicate who are also veterans of the game elsewhere are excited to play in a new place with new people. and it's great! i love a fast moving game thread.
Overall: 74-58 (.56) | Town 49-42 (.54) | Mafia 19-11 (.63) | Independent 6-4 (.60)

The Syndicate: Town 23-27; Mafia 11-5; Indy 5-1 | RateYourMusic: Town 14-13; Mafia 5-4; Indy 0-3 | Mafia Universe: Town 6-0; Mafia 1-0 | Student Doctor Network: Town 2-1; Mafia 1-0 | HeroClixRealms: Town 1-0; Mafia 0-1 | Bulbagarden: Mafia 0-1; Indy 1-0 | 2+2 POG: Town 1-0 | Naruto Forums: Town 0-1 | Personality Café: Town 1-0 | Vendetta Strada: Town 0-1 | Mafia451: Town 1-0 | Wintreath: Mafia 1-0

Awards:

The Syndicate

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Student Doctor Network

Rate Your Music

Best Scum, Maffies 3
Spirit Award, Maffies 9

Mafia Universe

Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage[-Mass Effect Mafia banner-]ImageImageImageImage
sanmateo
The Mark
Posts in topic: 214

Post by sanmateo »

MovingPictures07 wrote:In fact, while I've come to appreciate changeable votes more in playing games on other sites, I still generally dislike them here, and hated them with a passion at first, since it makes it much harder to track and analyze voting patterns. I'm so accustomed to the poll way of voting; since the bolded vote is optional, it just always seemed like too much unnecessary chaos for the civilians and too much flexibility for the mafia.

When votes aren't changeable, mafia have to commit to a fabricated suspicion and don't have the leisure to switch it at the last minute.
i do love late-day lynch drama tho
Sloonei
Cap'n Sloonbeard

Post by Sloonei »

JaggedJimmyJay wrote:truth be told many RYM games don't start this actively either. i think it's that many new players to The Syndicate who are also veterans of the game elsewhere are excited to play in a new place with new people. and it's great! i love a fast moving game thread.
this is exactly the case for me. I usually hang back a bit more on Day 1.
My banners:
ImageImageImageImage
Golden
The Coward

Post by Golden »

MovingPictures07 wrote:
Golden wrote:It's not often that I say this...

I like to think I can be as loud as you at least, but sometimes I don't want to be. :P
Yeah, you have an off switch. I just can't help myself.

Video for you, MP! My favourite Survivor player of all time.

Dragon D. Luffy
The Pirate

Sloonei, answer your question, the reasons I gave for people being scum were more fringe theories than based on actual evidence. Such as "he wrote a weird post which could be scummy", not "he has consistently written scummy posts which make me suspect him". The second one is what usually makes me vote.
sanmateo
The Mark

Post by sanmateo »

Dragon D. Luffy wrote:FFS, 7 posts in the time it took me to write this one.
sanmateo wrote:
Dragon D. Luffy wrote:
JaggedJimmyJay wrote:
Dragon D. Luffy wrote:
Sloonei wrote:
Dragon D. Luffy wrote:And I like to call people scum. Defenses are a great way to get reactions.
you've not called anyone scum. in fact, you've made assertions of scumminess but in each case offered a caveat to relieve the pressure inherent to those assertions.

Thing is, I don't think any of the active players are scum right now. If I had to vote right now, I'd vote for one of the inactive ones. I only see small possibilities. So I explore them since I don't have anything better. But I don't want to directly call people scum on something that is only a small possibility, at the risk of saying something stupid. When I see someone that looks more scummy than not to me, i'll point it out.
why are you willing to go out on a limb and say everyone here so far is town? because you did mention you thought sloonei could've scum-slipped. so you did point something out but now you're not gonna do that anymore because people mentioned it was suss.

has sloonei done anything to change your mind on what you said was a possibility?
He didn't. I never thought he was more likely to be mafia than town. But I saw a possibility of him being mafia, so I decided to explore it.
MovingPictures07 wrote:Committing to slight civilian read on DDL. I believe him.
Thanks. But I think I'm having a deja-vu here. Last time we played a game together, I was mafia, you were town, and you thought I was town for a long time, going as far as using your message ability to tell other people that you thought I was town. In a way, I managed to trick you. I even let you live for the entire game because you were trusting me more than anyone else was.

Now, may be just me, but usually when I'm tricked by a mafia players, I become very suspicious of them. There are people in Naruto Forums who I'll never say I trust unless they give me a very good reason to. So I think it's strange that you trust me considering everyone else is suspecting me, based on my behavior that even I agree is somewhat scummy. Do you usually trust people that easily, MP?

And Jay, to answer that question, if I had to vote right now, I'd vote MP for the reason I just stated. Though right now, I'm more interested in seeing his reaction than actually voting.
i swear ddl is fucking with me right now, i said one of the reasons i was suspicious of him was because he changed his behavior as soon as people pressured him on it and now he says he is gonna vote for mp after people called him out about saying he would vote for someone who hasn't posted over any of the players who have
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

Dragon D. Luffy wrote:

You think I'm mafia because I have seemingly not considered that event?

What you say is all true and precisely why I was particularly hesitant to issue an opinion, but simultaneously all the more reason I wanted to tell myself I felt at least slightly one way or another about you as soon as possible.

I've played one game with you and recognize your style. I also recognize that you tricked me, but I can relate entirely with what happens to you at NF, because I have tricked and subsequently been intensely suspected in subsequent games for that reason. However, it was many times unwarranted and often coincidental if I was mafia yet again. It's a logical fallacy to suspect someone more heavily because you know they are capable of tricking you, or did so in recent memory, more so than anyone else, yet we have the tendency to do it, don't we?

I'm trying as much as I can to judge you for your actions in this game, not what you've done to me in prior games. That said, I don't trust you, I just have a slight civilian read, and I believe you. Doesn't mean I won't later.

You could be mafia for all I know, but I decided to pull the trigger on my slight read, and I don't care that it's putting heat on me. I stand by it.
Russtifinko
Money Launderer
Posts in topic: 66
Preferred Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by Russtifinko »

Golden wrote:
Sloonei wrote:Just to be clear for myself and fellow noobs: once we submit a vote in the poll, it is final and we cannot change it again that day?
This is usually, but not always, the case on this site. The rules didn't seem to clarify, so maybe the hosts could clarify?
Correct! All votes cast will be final in this game. Unless I change my mind.
JaggedJimmyJay wrote:one unfortunate note, at least for me:

the phases here will apparently be ending at inopportune times for me. i'll be leaving for work hours before the lynch deadlines, and i have no access to this game at work. i don't work at a desk, and moreover even when i am at a computer this site is blocked there. i've checked. i might be able to get involved on my phone a tiny bit, but i can't make promises. so most of my involvement in this game is going to have to be in the first half of day phases; i've no choice.

of course, that problem might be alleviated some if this game will be employing a hammer. will lynches be immediate upon reaching a majority vote, or are the deadlines fixed?
Deadlines are indeed fixed. Sorry! The deadline is what it is because of my work schedule, and me posting at day's end is pretty essential. The deadline will slowly get progressively later due to thread mechanics.
MovingPictures07 wrote:
sanmateo wrote:good thinking, can we post our previous roles or would that be game-breaking? do we even know if there was any alignment changes?
I am not the hosts, but I think this would be considered rule breaking; if not, it would be bad form, since the game is open setup, and role claiming is a huge no no around here. Just an FYI.

I will definitely not be posting anything regarding my previous role PM and I think it would be a waste of time to even discuss them.
Hmmm....Previous roles are completely unrelated to current roles in any way. Think of it as consecutive die rolls. So I guess revealing previous roles wouldn't technically be outing or claiming a role.

That said, I'm going to temporarily disallow it while I think through any possible implications it could have on the current game or roles. So don't do it for now, but if I change my mind I'll let you know.

Jay was that really you? I liked the song a lot! Reminded me of those prototype-rock-and-roll 50s type songs.
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
JaggedJimmyJay

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

i can understand a degree of suspicion arising from MP's distinct positive stance on DDL. on Day 1 any distinct stance is inherently a significant statement. that's why i pressed him to explain exactly why he felt better about DDL. and at the least, he answered my call:
MovingPictures07 wrote:I've been unwilling to commit to an opinion on him all throughout thus far, though many of his posts have been logical and easy for me to relate to, but his most recent response:
Dragon D. Luffy wrote:
JaggedJimmyJay wrote: you've not called anyone scum. in fact, you've made assertions of scumminess but in each case offered a caveat to relieve the pressure inherent to those assertions.

Reads genuine to me. It's something I've felt many times before as well as faked, and the wording here does not seem fabricated. I could very well be wrong. But I'm throwing it out there.
he pointed to a real post and offered an allegedly real perspective of it. one might still assert that his explanation lacks the specificity to lend significant confidence (as in, the specific components of the post being referenced that lend confidence). this would strike me as a nitpick though. for now i am willing to proceed with satisfaction re: MP07.

Awards:

The Syndicate

Student Doctor Network

Rate Your Music

Best Scum, Maffies 3
Spirit Award, Maffies 9

Mafia Universe

Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

Sloonei wrote:
MovingPictures07 wrote:

Hesitant?
Interesting.

JaggedJimmyJay wrote:truth be told many RYM games don't start this actively either. i think it's that many new players to The Syndicate who are also veterans of the game elsewhere are excited to play in a new place with new people. and it's great! i love a fast moving game thread.
QFT

I specifically am procrastinating HARD on many things I should otherwise be doing because I was very excited to play this game, many thanks to the player lineup.

I also think the differences in perspectives, customs, etc. will inevitably lead to more conversation throughout the game.
Dragon D. Luffy
The Pirate

sanmateo, did you read the question jay asked me? He asked about an hipothetical situation. He made me choose between 3-4 players, and I picked one. I'm not going to vote MP now, and I don't know if I'd vote him at some point in this phase. Like I said, I pointed out something I find suspicious, and first of all I want to see his answer for that.
Sloonei
Cap'n Sloonbeard

Post by Sloonei »

MovingPictures07 wrote:
Sloonei wrote:
MovingPictures07 wrote:

Hesitant?
Interesting.
What is interesting about it?
My banners:
ImageImageImageImage
JaggedJimmyJay

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

Russtifinko wrote:Jay was that really you? I liked the song a lot! Reminded me of those prototype-rock-and-roll 50s type songs.
the terrible vocals were really mine. ;)

i was just singing over the studio XTC track though. glad you liked it! one of my favorite bands in the world.

Awards:

The Syndicate

Student Doctor Network

Rate Your Music

Best Scum, Maffies 3
Spirit Award, Maffies 9

Mafia Universe

Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

Sloonei wrote:
MovingPictures07 wrote:
Sloonei wrote:
MovingPictures07 wrote:

Hesitant?
Interesting.
What is interesting about it?
I didn't expect that response. No emotion attached whatsoever, at least from what I can tell.

Trying to decide whether it's because you have nothing to hide or whether you're attacking DDL underhandedly. I wasn't really sure. Leaning very slightly the latter, and I actually anticipated your response to my post to vindicate my suspicion, but your response actually surprised me.
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

Let me clarify:

I WAS leaning very slightly the latter. Now I'm more so unsure.
JaggedJimmyJay

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

hey you good people watching, let's play Mafia! dive right in!

Awards:

The Syndicate

Student Doctor Network

Rate Your Music

Best Scum, Maffies 3
Spirit Award, Maffies 9

Mafia Universe

Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

Sloonei
Cap'n Sloonbeard

Post by Sloonei »

I've been questioning DDL because I've had questions about his posts, nothing more to it yet. It's still too soon for me to decide whether I think he (or anyone else) is scum, but I'm not gonna get anywhere if questions aren't being asked.
My banners:
ImageImageImageImage
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

Sloonei wrote:I've been questioning DDL because I've had questions about his posts, nothing more to it yet. It's still too soon for me to decide whether I think he (or anyone else) is scum, but I'm not gonna get anywhere if questions aren't being asked.
I agree, just was trying to pressure you a bit, and you didn't react defensively.
JaggedJimmyJay

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

Sloonei should answer for himself in all matters. I'll just say this little tidbit for the purpose of meta to those unfamiliar: he is the most patient Mafia player i've ever known. in all areas, including development of reads.

Awards:

The Syndicate

Student Doctor Network

Rate Your Music

Best Scum, Maffies 3
Spirit Award, Maffies 9

Mafia Universe

Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

JaggedJimmyJay wrote:Sloonei should answer for himself in all matters. I'll just say this little tidbit for the purpose of meta to those unfamiliar: he is the most patient Mafia player i've ever known. in all areas, including development of reads.
Good to know, thanks!
JaggedJimmyJay

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

sanmateo, you've spent much of your early effort interrogating DDL. that's groovy, i encourage interrogation. but how do you feel about the other active players to this point?

Awards:

The Syndicate

Student Doctor Network

Rate Your Music

Best Scum, Maffies 3
Spirit Award, Maffies 9

Mafia Universe

Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

Dragon D. Luffy
The Pirate

MovingPictures07 wrote:
Dragon D. Luffy wrote:

You think I'm mafia because I have seemingly not considered that event?

What you say is all true and precisely why I was particularly hesitant to issue an opinion, but simultaneously all the more reason I wanted to tell myself I felt at least slightly one way or another about you as soon as possible.

I've played one game with you and recognize your style. I also recognize that you tricked me, but I can relate entirely with what happens to you at NF, because I have tricked and subsequently been intensely suspected in subsequent games for that reason. However, it was many times unwarranted and often coincidental if I was mafia yet again. It's a logical fallacy to suspect someone more heavily because you know they are capable of tricking you, or did so in recent memory, more so than anyone else, yet we have the tendency to do it, don't we?

I'm trying as much as I can to judge you for your actions in this game, not what you've done to me in prior games. That said, I don't trust you, I just have a slight civilian read, and I believe you. Doesn't mean I won't later.

You could be mafia for all I know, but I decided to pull the trigger on my slight read, and I don't care that it's putting heat on me. I stand by it.
I see your point. It's not like I don't welcome your defense. Maybe you're just good at reading people, and you're reading me pretty well right now.

I'm more often than not a big target for day 1 lynches, because, as I've shown, I like to make accusations based on little evidence, just to see reactions. I usually do that by voting right away, and then changing my vote 3-4 times in the phase. I do that even more often as town than mafia, and probably because of that, people have never suspected me on D1 when I was mafia, which is pretty ironic. It seems you understand that.

But even when the stupid townies are lynching me, the good ones rarely come to my defense, from my experience. Specially since it's D1 and nobody gives a shit about making the first lynch go right. Which is why I think your defense of me is unusual. May be just your style, but it raises some red flags.
JaggedJimmyJay

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

i am finding myself liking DDL's defenses, particularly the most recent. he is earnestly trying to describe a Day 1 strategy that is inherently a bit volatile but potentially highly productive for a townie. i am particularly familiar with what he is describing because i employ a similar approach myself. i like that he is willing to play a little dangerously, because dangerous play generates controversy and thus meaningful and readable content from others. it isn't terribly townie behavior, in my opinion, to play tentatively merely for the sake of alleviating suspicion upon oneself. welcoming a little suspicion with the promise to create a bonafide Mafia game right away in Day 1 is good play.

good strategy doesn't imply innocence of course. but i like that he is open about his methods, and his descriptions do seem to reflect both his posts so far and the way others have perceived him.

Awards:

The Syndicate

Student Doctor Network

Rate Your Music

Best Scum, Maffies 3
Spirit Award, Maffies 9

Mafia Universe

Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

sanmateo
The Mark

Post by sanmateo »

JaggedJimmyJay wrote:sanmateo, you've spent much of your early effort interrogating DDL. that's groovy, i encourage interrogation. but how do you feel about the other active players to this point?
i havent thought much about sloonei other than how "Saying this negates the accusation I want to assert that..." is a weird turn of phrase. i think mp's indignity up there is town-ish but it could be feigned.
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

Considering my new self-imposed moniker of Rainbow Sockman, which makes an excellent mafia anti-hero name, and my newfound love of colored lists thanks to Jay, as well as an attempt for me to try to issue as many opinions as I can about other players, here is the first of what I hope to be many rainbow lists!!!

TASTE THE RAINBOW.

Dragon D. Luffy

JaggedJimmyJay
Sloonei

acrosstheaether
Bass_the_Clever
birdwithteeth11
Black Rock
Dom
Elohcin
Epignosis
fingersplints
G-Man
Golden
Metalmarsh89
Roxy
TinyBubbles
Turnip Head

sanmateo

For reference:
Very strong civilian read
Strong civilian read
Moderate civilian read
Slight civilian read
Very slight civilian read
No read or unsure
Very slight mafia read
Slight mafia read
Moderate mafia read
Strong mafia read
Very strong mafia read

Discuss. I'll be back later. Food to eat, code to write.
sanmateo
The Mark

Post by sanmateo »

JaggedJimmyJay wrote:i am finding myself liking DDL's defenses, particularly the most recent. he is earnestly trying to describe a Day 1 strategy that is inherently a bit volatile but potentially highly productive for a townie. i am particularly familiar with what he is describing because i employ a similar approach myself. i like that he is willing to play a little dangerously, because dangerous play generates controversy and thus meaningful and readable content from others. it isn't terribly townie behavior, in my opinion, to play tentatively merely for the sake of alleviating suspicion upon oneself. welcoming a little suspicion with the promise to create a bonafide Mafia game right away in Day 1 is good play.

good strategy doesn't imply innocence of course. but i like that he is open about his methods, and his descriptions do seem to reflect both his posts so far and the way others have perceived him.
i dont think there has been like concord between what he says he does and what he is doing. for example he just said he gets into trouble because he throws baseless accusations around early on but he hasnt done so at all this game.
sanmateo
The Mark

Post by sanmateo »

MovingPictures07 wrote:
sanmateo
whats good?
Sloonei
Cap'n Sloonbeard

Post by Sloonei »

sanmateo wrote:
JaggedJimmyJay wrote:i am finding myself liking DDL's defenses, particularly the most recent. he is earnestly trying to describe a Day 1 strategy that is inherently a bit volatile but potentially highly productive for a townie. i am particularly familiar with what he is describing because i employ a similar approach myself. i like that he is willing to play a little dangerously, because dangerous play generates controversy and thus meaningful and readable content from others. it isn't terribly townie behavior, in my opinion, to play tentatively merely for the sake of alleviating suspicion upon oneself. welcoming a little suspicion with the promise to create a bonafide Mafia game right away in Day 1 is good play.

i dont think there has been like concord between what he says he does and what he is doing. for example he just said he gets into trouble because he throws baseless accusations around early on but he hasnt done so at all this game.
this is a pretty good observation. He's not made any baseless accusations yet, he's mostly just said that everyone is probably town.
My banners:
ImageImageImageImage
JaggedJimmyJay

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

sanmateo wrote:

perhaps so. riddle me this:

he has made a few accusatory comments (directed at myself, MP, and Sloonei). and they were not supported with strong evidence. do you disagree that they could be called "baseless"?

moreover, when a player being accused has responded to such an accusation as that, in a way that does not promote increased suspicion, is the accuser supposed to continue hounding baselessly? or explain the origin of the accusation and move on to the next target?

Awards:

The Syndicate

Student Doctor Network

Rate Your Music

Best Scum, Maffies 3
Spirit Award, Maffies 9

Mafia Universe

Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

Dragon D. Luffy
The Pirate

You guys are playing with semantics here. To quote myself.
I like to make accusations based on little evidence
Which is exactly what I've done. I've claimed the possibility of each one of you being scum, based on evidence that isn't really big. May now fit your definition of "accusation", but it fits mine.
Golden
The Coward

Post by Golden »

I've skimmed through. Probably a lot of content I need to sort out in terms of who has post what.

My thoughts so far - a few newbies (DDL, JJJ, sanmateo, sloonei) are running straight into a drive by lynch of one of them. Not that I support that, I just feel like it's what you risk by generating so much discussion here on day one.

I haven't been able to glean whether or not the four of you all come from the same place for sure, but my perception is that you all know each other well. I do feel like this day one is culture shock. MP, for instance, feels like he is not playing like himself, but like you guys (I read that as being a genuine outcome of him being excited at people playing a different way and wanting to be part of it).

What I'd like to see now? A bit less of the same few guys talking around each other and a bit more of everyone else giving opinions on the four of them. At least then we have a bigger pool of people to consider their opinions.

So far my perceptions are leaning civ on DDL, and maybe sanmateo could be bad.

And I now see that in the time it took me to write this post, MP agrees with that read. Interesting.

I'm not a fan of sanmateo because I'm not sure why he called out DDL for moving from 'low poster' to 'MP'. He was just following up something MP said that pinged him. Why is that suspicious? And why wouldn't you change your vote from 'what I'd do in the absence of anyone seeming bad' to 'what I'd do now that someone seems bad'. Better off voting the person you think is bad rather than simply voting random between the people you have no civ read on.
Golden
The Coward

Post by Golden »

sanmateo wrote:
JaggedJimmyJay wrote:sanmateo, you've spent much of your early effort interrogating DDL. that's groovy, i encourage interrogation. but how do you feel about the other active players to this point?
i havent thought much about sloonei other than how "Saying this negates the accusation I want to assert that..." is a weird turn of phrase. i think mp's indignity up there is town-ish but it could be feigned.
MP gets indignant when civ and when bad. He has used being indignant against the town to gain cred before. I wouldn't consider it a good choice to use in getting a read on him.
JaggedJimmyJay

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

Golden wrote:My thoughts so far - a few newbies (DDL, JJJ, sanmateo, sloonei) are running straight into a drive by lynch of one of them. Not that I support that, I just feel like it's what you risk by generating so much discussion here on day one.
if our conduct to this point has been that unusual by Syndicate standards, i would urge caution in those who'd perceive it negatively by default. "generating so much discussion on Day 1" is honestly exactly how i'd describe the most productive town approach (indeed, i truly struggle to imagine it being perceived as inherently suspicious). if it's abnormal here, very well. i look forward to seeing the reception we get from the other regulars.

Awards:

The Syndicate

Student Doctor Network

Rate Your Music

Best Scum, Maffies 3
Spirit Award, Maffies 9

Mafia Universe

Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

JaggedJimmyJay

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

also, re: Golden's comments:

Sloonei, sanmateo, and i are all from the same place. we've never played with DDL, but his style is agreeable and doesn't perturb me at all.

Awards:

The Syndicate

Student Doctor Network

Rate Your Music

Best Scum, Maffies 3
Spirit Award, Maffies 9

Mafia Universe

Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

Sloonei
Cap'n Sloonbeard

Post by Sloonei »

Golden wrote: I haven't been able to glean whether or not the four of you all come from the same place for sure, but my perception is that you all know each other well. I do feel like this day one is culture shock.
sanmateo, jjj, and myself (along with acrosstheaether, who's in a different timezone) all come from the same site. DDL is a stranger to us as well.
This is generally how we play on Day 1 on our site, though we're perhaps being a bit more active right now because we're all just full of excitement.
My banners:
ImageImageImageImage
JaggedJimmyJay

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

JaggedJimmyJay wrote:also, re: Golden's comments:

Sloonei, sanmateo, and i are all from the same place. we've never played with DDL, but his style is agreeable and doesn't perturb me at all.
and acrosstheaether if from Our Place. she hasn't posted yet, but i look forward to seeing her in action. :)

Awards:

The Syndicate

Student Doctor Network

Rate Your Music

Best Scum, Maffies 3
Spirit Award, Maffies 9

Mafia Universe

Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

Dragon D. Luffy
The Pirate

For the record, I don't know any of the other newbies. The ones I know are MP, who I have played one game with and talked to on skype for a while, and Metalmarsh, who I have played the same game with.

I've also watched Turnip Head's game on mafia championship, so I *kinda* know him. Though I heard the way he played there was completely different than how he usually plays here, so I dunno.
Epignosis
Skeletor
Posts in topic: 110

Post by Epignosis »

JaggedJimmyJay wrote:Anyone in the know:

Is it typical for Epignosis to be aware of and introduced to a game (as seen in his initial new-role post) but distinctly quiet while others carry on discussion?
I'm watching Gordon Ramsay call inexperienced Americans "fucking muppets" while I prepare to write a post for the 34-player game I'm hosting two floors up.
JaggedJimmyJay wrote:
Epignosis wrote:
JaggedJimmyJay wrote:is it possible to see the poll results before having submitted a vote? i see the "view results" button, but i don't wanna click it if it cancels my ability to vote -- it would on an RYM poll.
Stop being a coward! :feb:
please share any thought whatsoever that has passed through your mind as you've read the posts in this game since Russ declared the start of Day 1. ideally the thought you share should be ABOUT these posts though -- i understand the mind wanders.
Don't worry. You'll hear from me when you hear from me.
JaggedJimmyJay wrote:i have to take note that Epignosis is active lurking right now. he is aware of the game, seemingly following the game, and contributing nothing to it. at face value and independent of meta (which i cannot know beyond MP's descriptions), i find that suspicious.
I never "lurk." If I wanted to lurk, I would set my session to private, and because you're not a mod, you wouldn't be able to see it. But I never do that anyway.

I'm doing the best I can do during commercial breaks. Go grab a glass of water and go for a walk. I'll make a relevant post when I feel like making a relevant post.
Stream my music for free: https://epignosis.bandcamp.com/
JaggedJimmyJay

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

Golden wrote:What I'd like to see now? A bit less of the same few guys talking around each other and a bit more of everyone else giving opinions on the four of them. At least then we have a bigger pool of people to consider their opinions.
i want this more than literally anything else in the entire universe

Awards:

The Syndicate

Student Doctor Network

Rate Your Music

Best Scum, Maffies 3
Spirit Award, Maffies 9

Mafia Universe

Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

Return to “Previous Side Missions”