Recruitment Mafia IV: Dawn of the Clans (End Game)

Moderator: Community Team

Game End!

Thank you
29%
for playing
20%
See you in number 5?
31%
aapje is too busy but he'll try to keep up....
11%
like every other time I make him play.
9%

Total votes: 45
bea
Racketeer
Posts in topic: 161
Preferred Pronouns: She/her
Aka: Some call me.....Jen. But most call me Bea.

Re: Recruitment Mafia IV: Dawn of the Clans (Day 3)

Post by bea »

ok - so here's the thing with me personally about tiny bubbles.

she got a vote from llama day one that she never really addressed except to say "OMG obviously I was joking! Silly llama." (I'm of course paraphrasing) - then got 3 more votes day 2 for kinda dropping out.

Comes back day 3 and jumps into omg I can't vote golden 2 days in a row, I'll vote the person he says I should because he said I should even though I voted him the day before. Never once in her posts today does she acknowledge that she got 3 votes yesterday or why she got them. If I got 3 votes, I'd be looking at why. That's just me.

My point - rox - is not that I'm jumping on this one thing she said - it's that she's new to me and I have no idea how to read her. I've asked for more of her thinking, and voted her to try to get her to give me more of her thinking and she's ignored that despite the fact that I was one of the 3 people that voted her. That causes me to think that she's playing he "If I don't acknowledge votes, they'll go away" blend in stratigy. I don't know if it's true or not, but I can't know if it's not addressed. Ya dig?

rey and golden. :( I have felt frustrated enough to self vote before. Most notably in my blowup during Death Note. TH implored me not to do it and I just went ahead and did it anyway.

Rey - who else besides golden could be bad?

Golden - who else besides the people you have been defending against do you think might be up to no good?
I was born to speak all mirth and no matter.... :wine:
Epignosis wrote:Bitch, my identity is my identity theft protection!
Golden
The Coward
Posts in topic: 324

Post by Golden »

Bea, I've had so much defending to do I've had no time to really examine that.

I do think good points have been raised on aapje, I think quiet people like DP, DF and russti are decent bets for recruits. I've had very mixed vibes from daisy.

I think I've done a much better job with figuring out who I don't think is bad.
Spoiler: show
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Canucklehead wrote:Civ Golden is a hurricane of self-assurance.
G-Man wrote: Coward
DFaraday
Money Launderer
Posts in topic: 8

Post by DFaraday »

Seeing as I'm about 20 pages behind and know I won't be able to catch up, I've asked the hosts to find a replacement. I can only hope that they replace me with someone who wasn't already a dead player in this game, because I'm in the camp that opposes that practice.
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
Sorsha
Money Launderer
Posts in topic: 128

Post by Sorsha »

bea wrote:ok - so here's the thing with me personally about tiny bubbles.

she got a vote from llama day one that she never really addressed except to say "OMG obviously I was joking! Silly llama." (I'm of course paraphrasing) - then got 3 more votes day 2 for kinda dropping out.

Comes back day 3 and jumps into omg I can't vote golden 2 days in a row, I'll vote the person he says I should because he said I should even though I voted him the day before. Never once in her posts today does she acknowledge that she got 3 votes yesterday or why she got them. If I got 3 votes, I'd be looking at why. That's just me.

My point - rox - is not that I'm jumping on this one thing she said - it's that she's new to me and I have no idea how to read her. I've asked for more of her thinking, and voted her to try to get her to give me more of her thinking and she's ignored that despite the fact that I was one of the 3 people that voted her. That causes me to think that she's playing he "If I don't acknowledge votes, they'll go away" blend in stratigy. I don't know if it's true or not, but I can't know if it's not addressed. Ya dig?

rey and golden. :( I have felt frustrated enough to self vote before. Most notably in my blowup during Death Note. TH implored me not to do it and I just went ahead and did it anyway.

Rey - who else besides golden could be bad?

Golden - who else besides the people you have been defending against do you think might be up to no good?
In regards to what you say about tiny bubbles: ignoring votes is something that I used to do when I was new to mafia and a baddie for exactly that reason.... Blending in and hoping the suspicion would go away. She also made a comment about being emotionally invested in the game but looking at her posts it was pointed out that she doesn't really seem to invested in the game. It could be that she has btsc which is making her feel that way? Maybe some players who know her play style a bit better can speak up about her usual play style/ posting habits.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Golden
The Coward

Post by Golden »

Bubbles posting habits (in particular the relatively small frequency for the level of investment) seem more or less on point for what I would call normal bubbles, but she has never yet been bad, and I do think there are aspects of her posts which could be seen differently.

I can't say I have any recollection either way about how she has responded to votes on her, people playing in Angry Birds might have a comment on it from that game. In BoB she just kept reiterating that she wasn't bad (and she wasn't) but I'm not sure she ever addressed votes against he or the specific people who made them.
Golden
The Coward

Post by Golden »

I also have a dichotomy. I do not want to vote rey given how things have unfolded, but him choosing not to vote for me also gives me a chance of surviving, so I no longer want to vote for me...

I'll register a vote for Boomslang who I think warrants a decent amount of scrutiny. I think it possible he could be on mafia team two that killed G-Man.
Golden
The Coward

Post by Golden »

Cue person who says 'why that team. Is it because you know he is not on the team that killed epi because you are on it?

It's because I think boomslang might have thought G-Man and I were baddie teammates, and they wanted to take out one of the other baddie team.
Golden
The Coward

Post by Golden »

I actually think boomslang's suspicion of me has been entirely legitimate, but hey... baddies would be baddie hunting too. Two baddie teams.
JaggedJimmyJay
The Brassiere of The Syndicate
Posts in topic: 458
Preferred Pronouns: He/him/his/himself
Aka: Jay | JJJ | J3 | 3J | jagged | Jimmy | KOFM

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

Boomslang wrote:
JaggedJimmyJay wrote:Hey Boomslang!

Vote Boomslang

aapje is going to murder me
I'm sorry, I didn't think I had to defend my points on Golden when the guy is literally asking to be lynched. That's all I needed to know for today, honestly.
*votes Golden*
In what universe do people think this is a good reason to vote for somebody? You've dropped all accountability for your vote on the person receiving it. There is no ownership.

I will probably never self-vote in my Mafia life, but it does offer one benefit. It helps expose the people who aren't thinking about their votes very much.
Overall: 73-57 (.56) | Town 49-41 (.54) | Mafia 18-11 (.62) | Independent 6-4 (.60)

The Syndicate: Town 23-26; Mafia 10-5; Indy 5-1 | RateYourMusic: Town 14-13; Mafia 5-4; Indy 0-3 | Mafia Universe: Town 6-0; Mafia 1-0 | Student Doctor Network: Town 2-1; Mafia 1-0 | HeroClixRealms: Town 1-0; Mafia 0-1 | Bulbagarden: Mafia 0-1; Indy 1-0 | 2+2 POG: Town 1-0 | Naruto Forums: Town 0-1 | Personality Café: Town 1-0 | Vendetta Strada: Town 0-1 | Mafia451: Town 1-0 | Wintreath: Mafia 1-0

Awards:

The Syndicate

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Student Doctor Network

ImageImageImageImageImage

Rate Your Music

Best Townie, Maffies 4, 8 and 9
Best Scum, Maffies 3
Best Moderator, Maffies 8 and 9
Most Valuable Player, Maffies 7 and 9
Best Roleplay, Maffies 4 and 6
Spirit Award, Maffies 9
Hall of Fame inductee, Maffies 4

Mafia Universe

Mafia Championship Finalist, 2015 and 2020
Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage[-Mass Effect Mafia banner-]ImageImageImageImage
JaggedJimmyJay

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

I think rey might deliberately be clashing against Golden's appeal to emotion with an appeal to emotion of his own. Sorry if I'm wrong about that.
Overall: 73-57 (.56) | Town 49-41 (.54) | Mafia 18-11 (.62) | Independent 6-4 (.60)

The Syndicate: Town 23-26; Mafia 10-5; Indy 5-1 | RateYourMusic: Town 14-13; Mafia 5-4; Indy 0-3 | Mafia Universe: Town 6-0; Mafia 1-0 | Student Doctor Network: Town 2-1; Mafia 1-0 | HeroClixRealms: Town 1-0; Mafia 0-1 | Bulbagarden: Mafia 0-1; Indy 1-0 | 2+2 POG: Town 1-0 | Naruto Forums: Town 0-1 | Personality Café: Town 1-0 | Vendetta Strada: Town 0-1 | Mafia451: Town 1-0 | Wintreath: Mafia 1-0

Awards:

The Syndicate

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Student Doctor Network

Rate Your Music

Best Scum, Maffies 3
Spirit Award, Maffies 9

Mafia Universe

Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage[-Mass Effect Mafia banner-]ImageImageImageImage
nutella
Connoisseur of Spice
Posts in topic: 162
Preferred Pronouns: she/her/hers

Post by nutella »

JaggedJimmyJay wrote:I think rey might deliberately be clashing against Golden's appeal to emotion with an appeal to emotion of his own. Sorry if I'm wrong about that.
I agree with this. Rey has not impressed me.

Since my vote was registered for him in the first poll I assume I should vote in the "parking spot" so it doesn't get counted twice? BR is that the idea?
to the spoiler go the victories:
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image ImageImage Image Image Image
Image Image Image Image
Image Image Image Image Image
Image Image
S~V~S
Captain Obvious
Posts in topic: 279

Post by S~V~S »

If Black Rock says otherwise, I will move my vote, but I think we are supposed to revote. The parking spot is so you can see the poll without voting.

Now Golden's saying any argument that arrives at a conclusion that he could be bad is illogical and fallacious. He is trying to imply persecution of him when, hello, its a Mafia game. Discussion of and defending against suspicions is how the game is played.

REVOTING FOR GOLDEN
Skip softly, my moonbeams, for I have heard tell
That the stairs up to heaven lead straight down to hell
Golden
The Coward

Post by Golden »

JJ, I'd like to know what you think more broadly about Boomslang beyond just that vote.

Also, boomslang, noting that my vote is still in play, I'd like to know if you have prefer to vote for me when I say this clearly - I am not asking you to vote for me. I am resolved to fight what I can fight, I'm just also resigned to the fact that I am a very easy target today and I might well be lynched. If I survive today, there won't be any self-voting from me tomorrow.
Golden
The Coward

Post by Golden »

S~V~S wrote:Now Golden's saying any argument that arrives at a conclusion that he could be bad is illogical and fallacious. [/u][/b]
I have never said or implied that. In fact, I have acknowledged that some of them are not.

I think yours is fallacious, because I have provided you with a whole lot to go on here but you have closed your mind to even listening to it.
I think reys is... whats the word when you take advantage of a situation that arises? I can't think of it right now. My brain says fortuitous, but thats wrong.
I think DH's is playing intentionally aloof, and that its insincere. Its hard to call it illogical or fallacious because it isn't based on a case against me, he just seems to be 'scared of me'.
I think epi's was deliberately obtuse.

BUT: I think boomslang, Dom, Lorab, and timmer have all expressed suspicion of me that I think is entirely genuine (despite the fact I think boomslang might be bad). I think BWT's suspicion on me was genuine. I don't think any of these people have demonstrated that their view of me is illogical or fallacious. I'm not a fan of Lorab saying that I'm a distraction and anti-civ despite being neutral, but I understand it.

Btw, as you might have noticed from being the super-expert on my civilian game - often the place where my spidey sense is the MOST well attuned is in figuring out whether those who go after me are being genuine or not.
Golden
The Coward

Post by Golden »

S~V~S wrote:He is trying to imply persecution of him when, hello, its a Mafia game. Discussion of and defending against suspicions is how the game is played.
And I will say this is the thing you've said which I find most difficult to see eye to eye with you on.

When I defend against cases made against me that I do not think stack up, and I defend against them day after day (literally a week at this point?) but those who allege those things choose to ignore every word I say and stand stubbornly against me, apparently I am 'implying persecution'.

I think there has been PLENTY of discussion of and defending against suspicions against me. That is me playing mafia, right?

But I also think there has been plenty of discussion AT me, continually, post after post, the number of times you have posted just to say the same thing again and again - that you have no interest in doing anything other than voting for me without any further thought - it actually does surprise me.

SVS, I want to know what your reaction will be in this game, in the event you get me lynched. I am not going to flip bad. When I do not flip bad, what will your reaction be?
S~V~S
Captain Obvious

Post by S~V~S »

So after days of saying I was sincere, now I am being intentionally false?

I probably would have bought the frame theory if you had not made that one post after Epi died. I believed then, and still believe now, with all my heart, that a baddie made that post.

Linki, I will cross that bridge when I come to it. But I don't think I will ever come to it. I doubt you will be lynched, you talked your way out of it. Then tomorrow I will be NKed probably, and it will be another attempt to frame poor Golden. And if you are lynched, I dont think you will come up good.
Golden
The Coward

Post by Golden »

S~V~S wrote:So after days of saying I was sincere, now I am being intentionally false?

I probably would have bought the frame theory if you had not made that one post after Epi died. I believed then, and still believe now, with all my heart, that a baddie made that post.

Linki, I will cross that bridge when I come to it. But I don't think I will ever come to it. I doubt you will be lynched, you talked your way out of it. Then tomorrow I will be NKed probably, and it will be another attempt to frame poor Golden. And if you are lynched, I dont think you will come up good.
At some point, your choice to be stubborn and not engage has begun to feel to me like insincerity, yes.

And you still say, basically, you are hanging on to that one post - and that you would hang on to a single post while refusing to ever think about seeing it from another angle so stubbornly surprises me.

I tell you what, I'll do a bet with you. I tried to do this in RYM87 and sleepy wouldn't do it, he refused. Do what G-Man asked MP to do. Bet your mafia reputation on it. If, at the end of this game, the wash up makes it clear that I was neutral from the start up until Day 3, you will put in your signature "I staked my mafia reputation on golden being bad and I was wrong."

I, on the other hand, if I am bad, will post in my sig "S~V~S called me out, wouldn't back down, and was right."

The other part of this deal is, loser doesn't get to vote for the other one for the next five games we play together and loses their rights to claim they can read the other.

Deal?
Golden
The Coward

Post by Golden »

And yet, I continue to believe I can convince you if I keep trying, lol.

I'd like to quote something for you that I think you ought to have read and thought about, but think you have chosen not to.
JaggedJimmyJay wrote:When Golden and Epignosis were dueling, one thing Golden said was this (paraphrasing): If I end up on the same team as Epignosis, I will kill him myself.

Don't you think this maneuver by Golden, which on the surface seems like an absurd statement, might have an underlying meaning which strongly supports what he has been saying? If some part of Golden suspected Epignosis was a recruiter with an interest in recruiting him, then that seemingly absurd statement suddenly makes perfect sense. He'd have been literally instructing Epignosis not to recruit him because he didn't want to be recruited by Epignosis. "Don't do that or I'm going to be a detriment to your win condition."
S~V~S wrote:Unless Golden started out on someones short list, or is a recruiter himself, I don't see him applying for baddie positions in the various contests that the host is likely to have, based on prior experience with their games. I also think that, based on odds, he is as unlikley to have started out as a baddie recruiter as anyone else, 2 people out of 30ish? I know that if i was a baddie recruiter, I would not put Golden on an initial 3 person list because he has often said he strongly prefers being a civ, and I would not recruit someone who would be unhappy to be recruited, someone who would have preferred to be on another team. I know not everyone thinks like me, but I will assume that some do. So I think that the odds of Golden finishing the game as a civ or a neutral are somewhat higher than for most people. There are a lot of "ifs" in what I just said, and any of then could be wrong. The weakest link, imo, is the supposition that baddies would be less likley to recruit him. Perhaps if they were not as familiar with him as I am, or if they did not care about his preferences.
I also thought you had said something about remembering the game where I went out of my way to warn the baddies not to recruit me, but maybe that was someone else, I couldn't find that in your iso.
Golden
The Coward

Post by Golden »

I'll also say one more thing SVS... this has only just occurred to me.

I do think there is scenario in which you could be this stubborn and sincere... and knowing you it could be true.

I could see you being stubborn because you do not want to back off me and let me go and find out later you were right and didn't stick with it, because you would be pissed off at yourself. That makes sense to me.

I also want to point out that despite saying I am beginning to find your stubbornness insincere, I still have not voted for you - I've been looking to find someone who I think is genuinely very suspicious. I think both rey and boomslang look a lot worse than you do.
JaggedJimmyJay

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

Golden wrote:JJ, I'd like to know what you think more broadly about Boomslang beyond just that vote.

Also, boomslang, noting that my vote is still in play, I'd like to know if you have prefer to vote for me when I say this clearly - I am not asking you to vote for me. I am resolved to fight what I can fight, I'm just also resigned to the fact that I am a very easy target today and I might well be lynched. If I survive today, there won't be any self-voting from me tomorrow.
I've prodded Boomslang a few times this phase, but truly it was just because I found him in The Red Zone. By this I mean the lurking players who had started the game with just enough activity to seem involved without really being involved. This is something I look for in pretty much every Mafia game I play. So on that front, I wasn't distinctly suspicious of his content, I was suspicious of his position in the game. So I wanted to get him in here to gauge him more thoroughly based on current content.

His return was bad (his incredibly easy vote for you, Golden). I'll look into his posts now as you've requested for a more complete understanding.

Awards:

The Syndicate

Student Doctor Network

Rate Your Music

Best Scum, Maffies 3
Spirit Award, Maffies 9

Mafia Universe

Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

JaggedJimmyJay

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

I have found S~V~S to be the most believable among Golden's detractors. Everything about her conduct here strikes me as genuine suspicion being expressed on every front -- even if I perceive it to be stubborn beyond reason.

Awards:

The Syndicate

Student Doctor Network

Rate Your Music

Best Scum, Maffies 3
Spirit Award, Maffies 9

Mafia Universe

Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

JaggedJimmyJay

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

Dom wrote:
JaggedJimmyJay wrote:
Bullzeye wrote:Don't count DF out just yet. He may be quiet now but he almost always is, and he can be an absolute joy to scheme with in btsc because he's lethal when it matters. Still I think your general point here is an accurate one.
Quiet is an understatement. He hasn't posted for more than three days. I'll try to get his attention:

DFaraday, if you don't get involved then your eventual lynch will be close to inevitable. That's not a winning strategy, mate.
What does this mean?
It's a general threat which may or may not actually be true. Chronic lurkers tend to get lynched, but not always. I just want him to get involved -- he's requested replacement though so hopefully the new player can do that.

Awards:

The Syndicate

Student Doctor Network

Rate Your Music

Best Scum, Maffies 3
Spirit Award, Maffies 9

Mafia Universe

Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

S~V~S
Captain Obvious

Re: Recruitment Mafia IV: Dawn of the Clans (Day 2)

Post by S~V~S »

This was my initial reaction to the Night Post:
S~V~S wrote:Who the fuck would kill Typhoony on Night One of his first game back in years?

Lame :(

And then Epi as well. Golden being ballsy or Golden being set up?
Then~
Golden wrote:I was not directly responsible for killing epi. I was intentionally baiting people into setting me up, though. I suspected that if I made enough of my intention to kill epi, someone else would do it.

I am very sad to see Typhoony die already, I agree with SVS it's a lame kill :( hope you get a rezz, typh.
This post. I don't see how you could say this and not be bad. How this post could be anything other than trying to WIFOM out of it. I have sat in chatrooms myself and said, "OMG, he's gotta go, and I don't care how it makes me look. I can talk my way out of it", and that is what i think you did, too. That is what that post says as far as I am concerned. Anything after that post is just additional layers of WIFOM.

You will notice that my whole attitude towards you CHANGED after this post. Most of Day 1, I was pretty firmly in the civ/civ camp (and meaning civ/civ as a commonly used term for "neither is bad" not as a statement that I thought either was specifically civ or neutral or what have you, lol, for the semantics nazis). I have said it before, but will repeat it. That post chilled me. I did not feel that you would have said such a thing if you were other than bad, and I still feel that way.

I think it's kinda fun that since I am not letting it go, you are now threatening to vote for me. Have fun. It would just be another baddie move since the only think that has changed about me since you first said i was sincere is, hm, nothing. I have not changed my mind here, or my tune, and nothing will make me "unsee" that post. I think you can make all the awesome arguments you want, it does not make them true.

And I read those posts. I have no reason to think Epi was a baddie recruiter. Not sure why you would think that either. As I have said, I think that wither you ARE Azura, or Azure is someone not as familiar with your preference for being a civ. I just cannot reconcile that post up there^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ with civ ANYONE.

I will be happy to make sig bets, lame as some may think they are, but i won't include anything about future games. I have seen that at another forum, and I think it's a horrible idea and not fair to the host or players of subsequent games.

Linki @ JJJ, yeah, I can dig my heels in if I think I am right :noble:
S~V~S
Captain Obvious

Post by S~V~S »

"Intentionally baiting people into setting me up"

Bah. And now that, in your version of events, that is what happened, you are all indignant that it worked?

I call shenanigans. Well, i called shenanigans days ago, but I still call them ha ha. Later guys.
JaggedJimmyJay

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

Accidentally clicking the X while compiling a large post.

:disappoint: :WTF: :overreact:

Awards:

The Syndicate

Student Doctor Network

Rate Your Music

Best Scum, Maffies 3
Spirit Award, Maffies 9

Mafia Universe

Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

JaggedJimmyJay

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

Boomslang ISO
Boomslang wrote:Jeebus, 270 posts? Serves me right for sleeping through the start of game, I suppose :P Catching up now, typing some thoughts as I go.

The whole adverb thing is ridiculous. I don't see why it would be relevant for the theme (in terms of being a requirement for a given role). I also think generalizing that baddies use adverbs as a form of distancing or overexplaining is spurious at best. Also, MP clearly has a few sentences that don't use adverbs, so he's not even completely consistent.

I am, however, a fan of pedantic pink. A good addition to the stable of colors :P

Doesn't seem like anyone has gone out on too much of a limb, which is to be expected I suppose. aapje's listing of powers by position is great, probably the most useful think that's been done in the thread so far.

I think the easiest way to start picking apart preferences is through the role of the Brutal Executioner. People aren't going to vote for the position in which the Executioner could target their clan. All things considered, I think Position 1 is the best choice. Fairly low danger overall, and Executioner targets a Sorcerer, which reduces chaos.
This is Boomslang's first post on Day 0. On the surface it appears pretty innocuous; he joined the game a little late and offered some comments on a few discussions of interest. The reason I bring it up here is that the comments he made were pretty easy to make. The adverb discussion was always total filler from everyone involved; it was never going to amount to any relevant content. The part I highlighted pings my intuitions a tiny bit, it's just a small tidbit that smells iffy to me -- primarily "which is to be expected I suppose". That's purely intuitive though so y'all might not agree. The only truly original content in this post is his idea w/r/t the Brutal Executioner.

Unoriginal, easy comments on Day 0 aren't a big deal. It will only become interesting to me if it's a trend in his post history after this point, so we'll see.
Boomslang wrote:
G-Man wrote:
Ricochet wrote:
G-Man wrote:Our numbers are different because our approaches were different. You tried to evaluate the whole position, whereas I looked at individual players first to determine the most pro-civ position. Either way, both of our lists are subjective opinions.
Ah, I see. But if you look at players for their pro-civ positions and those players will happen to get recruited to the baddie teams, those positions won't be so pro-civ anymore.
This is true. My analysis is only worthwhile today. Your's will probably be a better guide after the recruiting starts. That being said, your analysis is limited as well. Some of the powers in your Negative Effects column could be powerful tools in the hands of civ-recruited players. Vote manipulation, phase ending, and blocks may seem negative but they are only truly negative if they were in the hands of a baddie. In the hands of a civvie, Position 3 or 4 could actually be the most potent for civs if they can get their hands on the negative powers. It's all relative to how the recruitment turns out.
This is a very good point. We have to be careful in this game to avoid thinking about traditionally "baddie" powers as bad, because the players who have them could go to any team. I think we should be most concerned about death effects. Increasing the pace of deaths reduces the amount of information that the players as a collective can create, which hurts the civ effort.
This might be called "easy" too, because it speaks the obvious (that nearly any role on the roster has the potential to be recruited civilian). However, I do like that Boomslang explained his preference for avoiding killing roles in a unique way. I don't believe anyone else cited the expansion of public information would be threatened by killing roles. That's a decent perspective to adopt.
Boomslang wrote:Argh, I can't even comprehend the amount of posting that's going on here. Two big things stick out to me, and I want to confirm that I share the suspicions previously raised.
Golden wrote: But I certainly think epi and I are not going to be on the same side at any point in this game. Recruiters would be daft to recruit us both on to the same side at this point.
The "certainly" is certainly a key word. Because the only way you'd know that for certain would be to be a recruiter yourself. At this point, the low-level animosity you've already established would be perfect for shedding suspicion of teamwork over time. I think you're being far too rash to discount that possibility.

The second is the continued insistence of some players, most recently Roxy, that this is not a good vs. evil game. It's written right there in the rules: civvie groups 1 and 2, baddie groups 1 and 2. There are lynches by civs and NKs by baddies that happen regardless of position. This is very clear, and I don't see why anyone would deny it except to sow confusion.
This post pinged me strongly. I explained why in an earlier post. Boomslang never addressed it.

I called his assessment "basic" and thought his focus was purely on surface content instead of deeper critical thinking. This meshes with the "easy post" aesthetic too.
Boomslang wrote:
Roxy wrote: Are you saying there are not 5 different factions in this game?
Also if you are saying this is a good vs evil game then what do you call the neutrals (which most of us are) - good or evil?
There are five different factions. However, please note the following, from the host post: "These are not teams, just origins." The "factions" are just flavorful ways to inform different roles and spice up some of the position changes. There may be some clan dynamics things that go on, but that doesn't change the essential civ vs. bad nature of this game. In the end, no matter your initial clan, you're going to end up as either good or bad (or neutral, if you's a Guardian).

What do I call the neutrals? Potentially good or bad. But that's not important. There ARE baddies among us right now, and that is where our energy should focus.
I espoused a similar perspective at this point in the game, so I'll give Boomslang credit for at least being agreeable.
Boomslang wrote:
Metalmarsh89 wrote:Boomslang is online now. I will not vote for Boomslang today.
I also recall Bullzeye being a strong contributor today. I will not vote for Bullzeye today.

Linki: speak of the devil.

Linki 2: you're off my list you.
Thanks bro! Anyway, not sure where I'll be in two hours, so I should probably vote now. Although I'd like to pursue the points I've raised earlier throughout the game, I think the case on Bass is the most evidence-based at this point. A very suspicious post, built on spurious reasoning and not followed up, is not civ behavior. *votes Bass*
While I agreed generally that Bass's theory post was suspicious, I'd have liked Boomslang's vote better if this wasn't his first mention of Bass. He ought to have been more involved in this dialogue if this was how he felt about it.
Boomslang wrote:
MovingPictures07 wrote:
Boomslang wrote:
Spacedaisy wrote:I'm confused. I mean I know what is going on with MP voting llama, but where are these other votes coming from? I feel like I've missed a step somewhere...
I definitely agree with this. I see llama throwing some shade at MP and MP throwing his weight around to discourage that shade. But that's a one-on-one interaction, and I don't see much else that justifies the votes of MM or DrWilgy. They seem opportunistic.

linki: And there's DrWilgy with a vague threat! The plot thickens!
What do you make of what Llama has thrown at me?

Whose actions are justified? Why?
Although MM did vote for Llama first, you'll see that the timing of his vote post (11:37) comes after Llama's initial attack on you (10:09) and immediately after your response (11:36). I'm willing to bet he saw that tension brewing and threw in his vote as a contribution to the reaction you're now leading. Smart play, and a good assist to possibly knocking him out. DrWilgy just kind of did a drive-by; analysis is apparently forthcoming, but I don't see why he didn't delay his vote until he could post that justification, as we still have plenty of time.

I think Llama has a point, and I think you've been very aggressive in your defense. Which doesn't make you bad, but it does indicate you're taking the suspicion fairly seriously.

linki: Gah, this game moves so fast.
This could be Boomslang's best post. His examination of MM specifically regarding timestamps evidences a genuine thought process that he was following through with. I also like his objective take on MP's "aggressive defense".
Boomslang wrote:Now that we've got this MP/Llama stuff, can be return to talking about Golden? The whole "I baited the baddies into a making the kill for me" line seems... unlikely to me. How could he have known that Epi was on the baddie team opposite from the one making the kill, unless he himself was on the baddie team making the kill?
This post confuses me. Even if we assume Golden did kill Epignosis as a member of the Night 1 killing baddie team, that doesn't imply Golden would have then known that Epi was on the other baddie team. This might be manufactured suspicion which Boomslang jumbled up as he put it to paper.
Boomslang wrote:Been away for most of today, and don't have time to catch up completely. However, I noted that Dr. Wilgy finally came through on the explanation and seemed to do a good job of it. Briefly looking at things, I'm really very pinged by G-Man changing votes to Bass despite claiming that this change "has very little to do with any suspicion of Bass." I'm more pinged by him saying this move is to "keep Golden around." As I'm already suspicious of Golden, this claim makes me want to ensure that Golden doesn't stick around. *votes Golden*

linki: Heh, Dr. Wilgy is on call all day every day.
Also confusing. In this post Boomslang seems to justify his vote for Golden with his suspicion of G-Man. How does this make sense? Is the implication that Golden and G-Man were team mates and G-Man was protecting him?
Boomslang wrote:
JaggedJimmyJay wrote:Hey Boomslang!

Vote Boomslang

aapje is going to murder me
I'm sorry, I didn't think I had to defend my points on Golden when the guy is literally asking to be lynched. That's all I needed to know for today, honestly.
*votes Golden*
You thought wrong. Defend your vote or else. :mad:

~~~

There isn't enough content to build a significant case, but I do think there are a number of pings here. His dealings with Golden are the most troubling. Otherwise I observe minor pings and minor positives -- not enough to make me feel anything.

Awards:

The Syndicate

Student Doctor Network

Rate Your Music

Best Scum, Maffies 3
Spirit Award, Maffies 9

Mafia Universe

Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

JaggedJimmyJay

Re: Recruitment Mafia IV: Dawn of the Clans (Day 2)

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

S~V~S wrote:I just cannot reconcile that post up there^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ with civ ANYONE.
Can you reconcile it with a neutral and unrecruited someone?

Awards:

The Syndicate

Student Doctor Network

Rate Your Music

Best Scum, Maffies 3
Spirit Award, Maffies 9

Mafia Universe

Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

Roxy
Hitman
Posts in topic: 240
Preferred Pronouns: She, Her, Whore if ya know me

Post by Roxy »

I am not sure how I feel about the responses I got so far from my last post. There are people who were not even on the list I have issues with - I wish I had more time.

I will mull over the responses and await the rest to respond.

Prob be around when my boss is not around. :)
;)
JaggedJimmyJay

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

Thanks for the reminder Roxy.
Roxy wrote:ebwop
JJJ - I am not SURE if like unfurl the set up of this game seems to be affecting your usual rhythm of playing. I am just not feeling "it". Can't put my finger on it or point to any one post but something feels wrong about your game this time around.
There's nothing I can say to an assertion that "it" is not being felt. That's as vague an assessment as any assessment can be. I've actually felt surprisingly in-rhythm in this game despite the setup. I have never been "neutral" before so it's definitely new -- but I've just played it like I would as a townie and I've felt pretty comfortable in doing so. I need to know precisely what is troubling you to be able to affect your perspective in any way.

Awards:

The Syndicate

Student Doctor Network

Rate Your Music

Best Scum, Maffies 3
Spirit Award, Maffies 9

Mafia Universe

Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

thellama73
Supatown
Posts in topic: 252

Post by thellama73 »

What to make of Golden's defeatism?

On the one hand, I think his emotional outburst reads sincere. On the other, I don't think his case against Rey makes sense. I don't see what Rey would gain from devoting so much time to lynching a specific player, if he did not believe his own case. On the third hand, Golden is tricksy and the appeal to emotion might be tricksy as well.

I don't think I'm comfortable voting for Golden today. I would like to lynch DharmaHelper or TinyBubbles.

Also, I don't like Lorab's reasoning on going after Golden. If she is advocating lynching neutrals, then in my view she is also playing an anti-civ game, the very thing she accuses Golden of.
Epignosis wrote:If llama is good, it means we exist in a universe in which multitasking llama can call out the first of two mafia while simultaneously calling out two civilians.

I don't want to live in that universe.
JaggedJimmyJay

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

Time for work. For the moment I lean toward a final vote on either Boomslang or LoRab.

Awards:

The Syndicate

Student Doctor Network

Rate Your Music

Best Scum, Maffies 3
Spirit Award, Maffies 9

Mafia Universe

Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

Boomslang
Drug Dealer
Posts in topic: 38

Post by Boomslang »

Let's try voting for myself! Seems to give you a get-out-of-jail free card these days!
birdwithteeth11
Loan Shark
Posts in topic: 155

Post by birdwithteeth11 »

Alright I'm back. Only 6 pages to catch up on this time, so not too bad. Going to start now.
Long Con
So Divine
Posts in topic: 108
Preferred Pronouns: boy ones

Post by Long Con »

Cast your vote in this poll, do not use the "parking spot" because you voted before. Ideally every player who had voted before would cast the same vote as when it had reset, and move one from there. We did not record the votes in order to add the two polls together. Every player should have voted for another player on this poll by the time it ends.

Please help us find replacements! We need your help. Perhaps some of you from other sites could ask someone to take a chance and join in. Maybe someone who has died in Angry Birds should give it a go. We need a few replacements, the sooner the better. We'd like to avoid using dead players for obvious reasons.
birdwithteeth11
Loan Shark
Posts in topic: 155

Re: Recruitment Mafia IV: Dawn of the Clans (Night 2)

Post by birdwithteeth11 »

unfurl wrote: @ Spacedaisy
Im usually full of contradicitions , it does mean nothing to my alliance ever, Im weird person that is true, still it means nothing wheter Im good/bad/Neutral
Is very easy for people to think of me as bad, I dont express myself good enough for most people taste
I was fine with a lot of your response to Daisy except for this. So we shouldn't judge anyone based on what they say??? :confused:
unfurl
The Mark
Posts in topic: 90

Post by unfurl »

Im going to revote again in the poll for bwt
Im gonna do my best to read, but FYI Im nof feeling very well, I think Im getting the flu I got when from the rain and now I have sort throat and my bones hurt but I can at least be around a little bit to catch up
bea
Racketeer
Posts in topic: 161
Preferred Pronouns: She/her
Aka: Some call me.....Jen. But most call me Bea.

Post by bea »

Thanks for the feedback on bubbles siesta and golden. Both if you brought up things I hadn't concidered.

I have to work this afternoon, but I will keep reading along as I can. Don't be surprised if my vote is quick and not well explained.
I was born to speak all mirth and no matter.... :wine:
Epignosis wrote:Bitch, my identity is my identity theft protection!
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum
Posts in topic: 357
Preferred Pronouns: any/all
Aka: Tangy

Post by Tangrowth »

I still think Golden needs to go so I'm still voting for him. :srsnod:
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

Death to self-voters!!!!!
unfurl
The Mark
Posts in topic: 90

Re: Recruitment Mafia IV: Dawn of the Clans (Night 2)

Post by unfurl »

birdwithteeth11 wrote:
unfurl wrote: @ Spacedaisy
Im usually full of contradicitions , it does mean nothing to my alliance ever, Im weird person that is true, still it means nothing wheter Im good/bad/Neutral
Is very easy for people to think of me as bad, I dont express myself good enough for most people taste
I was fine with a lot of your response to Daisy except for this. So we shouldn't judge anyone based on what they say??? :confused:
Let me see if I can be clearer
of course in a game people are judge based in what they said and their actions
Im still trying to get the hang ouf ot it, and she was saying that I was saying weird things, fyi, I always say weird things, or at least there is usually someone unfamiliar with me that vote for me, for me saying weird things, I blame my weird sense of humour, to me it sounded more like she suspected me because she thought I was being snarky and that was not my intention, so my response is dont judge me just based in the weird things (which is relative to each player to)
Turnip Head
Root Vegetable
Posts in topic: 269
Preferred Pronouns: they/their

Post by Turnip Head »

MovingPictures07 wrote:I still think Golden needs to go so I'm still voting for him. :srsnod:
You seem to have pulled a 180 on this issue. What made you change your mind about Golden?
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

MovingPictures07 wrote:Death to self-voters!!!!!
For anyone who has seen The Simpsons (who hasn't), this should be read in exactly re same voice and tone as Bart's "Death to Shelbyville!!!!"
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

Turnip Head wrote:
MovingPictures07 wrote:I still think Golden needs to go so I'm still voting for him. :srsnod:
You seem to have pulled a 180 on this issue. What made you change your mind about Golden?
The self vote. :srsnod:
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

That said, I think everyone (well, mainly the self voters) needs to calm all down and hug it out.

Golden, Rey... :hug: Where's the hug???!?!? Then get Boomslang in on that action. Oh baby.
DharmaHelper
Capo Regime (Street Boss)
Posts in topic: 363

Post by DharmaHelper »

I'll hug anybody who asks for one :workit:
our Linkitis is our lives.

ImageImage
ImageImage
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

DharmaHelper wrote:I'll hug anybody who asks for one :workit:
Me! Me!

Get a load of that wool, DH.
JaggedJimmyJay

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

Boomslang wrote:Let's try voting for myself! Seems to give you a get-out-of-jail free card these days!
Address the cases presented against you. :suspish:

Awards:

The Syndicate

Student Doctor Network

Rate Your Music

Best Scum, Maffies 3
Spirit Award, Maffies 9

Mafia Universe

Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

DharmaHelper
Capo Regime (Street Boss)
Posts in topic: 363

Post by DharmaHelper »

MovingPictures07 wrote:
DharmaHelper wrote:I'll hug anybody who asks for one :workit:
Me! Me!

Get a load of that wool, DH.
:hug:
our Linkitis is our lives.

ImageImage
ImageImage
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

On a more game-related note, I've been trying to keep up on reading but I still need to properly to respond to posts and such. I'm on my phone now while running some errands, then I have a lot of work today, so it probably won't be until tomorrow.

On to the next task now... Sock out!
Bullzeye
Racketeer
Posts in topic: 255

Post by Bullzeye »

Ugh, today can we just lynch people who talk loudly in libraries while people are trying to work? I think those are the real baddies right now.

Return to “Previous Jobs”