Recruitment Mafia IV: Dawn of the Clans (End Game)

Moderator: Community Team

Game End!

Thank you
29%
for playing
20%
See you in number 5?
31%
aapje is too busy but he'll try to keep up....
11%
like every other time I make him play.
9%

Total votes: 45
Black Rock
Loan Shark
Posts in topic: 181

Re: Recruitment Mafia IV: Dawn of the Clans (End Game)

Post by Black Rock »

aapje wrote:
Canucklehead wrote:
thellama73 wrote:I bear no ill will towards Aapje. I salute his playing.
This, tbqh. Playing every side, and coming out of it without having fucked over anyone is pretty freaking remarkable, and totally admirable. Aapje is the big winner superstar of this one in my books, for shizzle. :srsnod:
Aww :hug:
When aapje finally stopped complaining he was too busy to play my game and agreed to play, I told LC that aapje was my stranger and I don't care what he thinks. No one would have played the way I wanted, so perfect, except aapje (maybe Typhoony but no way I was allowing him this role after he had the Musketeer win). I'm not insulting anyone, it's just who aapje is. :hugs:

I hope Tranq, Typhoony, and aapje stick around the forum. I haven't gotten to play with them for a really long time, just host them. I think it's been 3 or 4 years since I have ranged around the house about Tranq pushing my buttons and it's been a while since I have gotten to go after Typhoony because he's Typhoony and is always bad. Poor TH got stuck with that role. :p

@MP, we did with way too much rye and way too many late nights cross referencing every single role. I almost killed rey before I remembered he completed his Epic Challenge and couldn't be night killed. Terras was the hardest role to remember. I think the one night half the players couldn't die because of protections and Terras.
ImageImage
aapje
Stool Pigeon
Posts in topic: 141

Post by aapje »

MovingPictures07 wrote:aapje, I'm curious: was your lack of aggressivve baddie hunting the first 5 or so cycles entirely intentional due to your role, or was it at least partially sincere (being busy making it difficult to suss out baddies, etc.)?
Multiple reasons. I didn't want to make myself a target to get killed by team Azura and I genuinely was having a hard time keeping up with the thread.
bea
Racketeer
Posts in topic: 161
Preferred Pronouns: She/her
Aka: Some call me.....Jen. But most call me Bea.

Post by bea »

S~V~S wrote:I considered an all Dutchie first list but felt both Typh and Aapje would be too predictable so I went with Tranq because Survivor :D

I chose two people I had never had BTS with before; G Man because i thought he would be fun and I know he's smart, and Rico because no one would ever expect it and I would like to get to know him better both as a player and as a person. But I got my first pick. Like bea said best team building strategy, recruit people smarter than you :haha:
Truth sista! Congrats!!
I was born to speak all mirth and no matter.... :wine:
Epignosis wrote:Bitch, my identity is my identity theft protection!
Spacedaisy
Spectral Enchantress
Posts in topic: 184

Post by Spacedaisy »

S~V~S wrote:I have to say, when I look back on it, to those on Ahriman & Azura, that aapje really did not actively work against you, even at the end.

Last night it was just he & I in the chat, trying to decide what to do. He did not steer the discussion. He had me talk it out, basically, and would not decide himself about what we would do with the rezz & switch. He let me decide. I actively tried, actually, to get him to decide because I was feeling unsure of myself, I knew we were using up our secret resource and I did not want to mess it up. But he made ME decide. And it probably was not the only time.

So, in his own treacherous fashion, he did the right thing by you.
I have no complaints about aapje, I don't feel betrayed by him. My comment about imbalance is not out of sore loser feelings. And I don't begrudge anyone their win, we all played hard and well. My comment is because there is in my opinion imbalance in this game that seriously handicapped civs. I doubt we could have won no matter what. But this isn't said in anger or whatever just honest commentary. I still played hard and had a ton of fun, so I am not being bitter or just complaining because we lost. And it is not because I thought we could win, I thought in all honesty we didn't stand a chance and I said as much in my chat. I am not surprised by losing, although I saw some glimmer of slight possibility there at the end. But it was fool's gold.

I also have no complaint about how MM used his Rez. He played it well.

You guys played well, I think everyone did.
Spoiler: show
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
Spacedaisy
Spectral Enchantress
Posts in topic: 184

Post by Spacedaisy »

I really enjoyed the game BR and LC. It was really fun and engaged me well, which not all games can do. Thank you for all the work I'm sure you put into it. I really appreciate the experience you provided us with as players.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
bea
Racketeer

Post by bea »

Awesome hosts are awesome. It was fun having bts for the short time I had it. I was super lame this game. Way too much going on to keep track of for me. My role was super awesome but underused by my own fault.

Well done winners!

Love to you all. And special thank yous to our hosts who have once again provided some massive recruitment fun!!

Still can't believe I was alive at the end. Imma chalking that up as a win for me. :p
Marmot
Marmot
Posts in topic: 472
Preferred Pronouns: they/them
Aka: Marmot

Post by Marmot »

DrWilgy wrote:MM, did you have remorse when I died? I was hoping you weren't bad, and if you were bad, I was hoping I could turn you away from the dark forces of evil.
To be honest, I'm not even certain what was going on at that point. I was gone camping/hiking for the entire Day 6 --> Day 7 period, and was surprised to see you lynched when I returned. :(

I don't know how you feel, but I would say my hands are clean. :scared:

Banners and Stuff
My Syndicate Mafia Wins:

Full Games Civilian: Image

Mafia: Image Image Image Image

Independent: Image Image
Speed Games Civilian: Image Image Fiddler on the Roof

Heists Civilian: Image Image Image Image Image

MVP: RED vs BLUE
Burglaries Independent: The Theme Is Literally a Burglary
Special Games Civilian: Image Image Image Image

Independent: Image

My Syndicate Hosted Games:

Speed Games Image Image Image
Heists Image Image Image

Some other Banners:

2014 Sockys Image
2015 Sockys Image Image Image
Miscellaneous Image Image

Dragon D. Luffy wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 7:33 pm Just how many days of "let's yeet them tomorrow" can a mafioso survive?

The answer: all of them, if you are a marmot.
Marmot
Marmot

Post by Marmot »

MovingPictures07 wrote:unfurl, yeah, that's true, I was disappointed when I saw your flip to say the least. :P

I tried playing this game as civilian-friendly as possible, so I could then have the cred if I flipped and because I didn't feel the neutral approach to the early part of the game. Obviously in addition to a stressful start to the PhD semester, I struggled with baddie hunting this game due to the large amount of neutrals.
And people like me calling you out for calling me out. :P

Banners and Stuff
My Syndicate Mafia Wins:

Heists Image Image Image

Some other Banners:

2014 Sockys Image

Dragon D. Luffy wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 7:33 pm Just how many days of "let's yeet them tomorrow" can a mafioso survive?

Tangrowth
Don Emeritum
Posts in topic: 357
Preferred Pronouns: any/all
Aka: Tangy

Post by Tangrowth »

Metalmarsh89 wrote:
MovingPictures07 wrote:unfurl, yeah, that's true, I was disappointed when I saw your flip to say the least. :P

I tried playing this game as civilian-friendly as possible, so I could then have the cred if I flipped and because I didn't feel the neutral approach to the early part of the game. Obviously in addition to a stressful start to the PhD semester, I struggled with baddie hunting this game due to the large amount of neutrals.
But all I was doing was calling you out for calling me out for calling you out. :srsnod:
Marmot
Marmot

Post by Marmot »

Canucklehead wrote:
Metalmarsh89 wrote:
Canucklehead wrote:Lulz, Apple monkey. Fantastic job. :srsnod:
Great game, hosts. :nicenod:
Thanks, team! Sorry I was useless. :(
Did you at all enjoy the role I created?
To be perfectly honest, no, not at all. :shrug:
I totally respect the concept and like the role from a mechanics perspective (the idea of balancing reward with risk and randomness is interesting), but it wasn't actually a very fun role to play. I mostly ignored my powers, to be honest, because they felt for the most part too arbitrary and randomeness-based to really want to bother investing in. I think a more tactically gifted player could have made great use of them, but I am not that player. ;) Sorry, MM. :srsnod:

Not tactical? What happened to the Canucklehead I saw in Roger Rabbit? :P

I was surprised that the Hoagies excepted it. I threw it together in about 5 minutes right before the deadline. I wasn't going to submit anything originally, but the idea sprung to my mind when I was listening to an Iron Maiden song, lol.

Sorry to steal your thunder and your original role though. That's a bummer.

On a related note, I was very sad the Hoagies didn't choose the role I submitted :pout:

Banners and Stuff
My Syndicate Mafia Wins:

Heists Image Image Image

Some other Banners:

2014 Sockys Image

Marmot
Marmot

Post by Marmot »

MovingPictures07 wrote:
Metalmarsh89 wrote:

But all I was doing was calling you out for calling me out for calling you out. :srsnod:
You weren't wrong though. I was doing a lot without doing anything at all. I just pointed out an unintentional inconsistency, and things went cray-cray. But you still weren't wrong.

Banners and Stuff
My Syndicate Mafia Wins:

Heists Image Image Image

Some other Banners:

2014 Sockys Image

Marmot
Marmot

Post by Marmot »

Fixed.
Canucklehead wrote:
Metalmarsh89 wrote:
Canucklehead wrote:Lulz, Apple monkey. Fantastic job. :srsnod:
Great game, hosts. :nicenod:
Thanks, team! Sorry I was useless. :(
Did you at all enjoy the role I created?
To be perfectly honest, no, not at all. :shrug:
I totally respect the concept and like the role from a mechanics perspective (the idea of balancing reward with risk and randomness is interesting), but it wasn't actually a very fun role to play. I mostly ignored my powers, to be honest, because they felt for the most part too arbitrary and randomeness-based to really want to bother investing in. I think a more tactically gifted player could have made great use of them, but I am not that player. ;) Sorry, MM. :srsnod:

On a related note, I was very sad the Hoagies didn't choose the role I submitted. :pout:
Not tactical? What happened to the Canucklehead I saw in Roger Rabbit? :P

I was surprised that the Hoagies excepted it. I threw it together in about 5 minutes right before the deadline. I wasn't going to submit anything originally, but the idea sprung to my mind when I was listening to an Iron Maiden song, lol.

Sorry to steal your thunder and your original role though. That's a bummer.

Banners and Stuff
My Syndicate Mafia Wins:

Heists Image Image Image

Some other Banners:

2014 Sockys Image

Scotty
Jeff
Posts in topic: 297
Preferred Pronouns: He/him

Post by Scotty »

Well I forgot this game was still going on. Congrats to the winners, and holy hell great job keeping up with everything, hosts! I can't imagine the clusterfuck that was occurring on a daily basis.

I had no idea who my Ahriman teammates were. I figured Sorsha was later on, but it also pisses me off that I, IMO, led the lynches for both Wilgy and Synonym. I mean, just of course. I'm sorry guys.

I was recruited on Day 3 sending in to that random story contest. I tried to hint at my rezzing ability in the story, so I guess that maybe helped. But then when I was recruited by Ahriman I don't know what to do. I actually felt even more alone, and felt like I had more of a target on my back. When Synonym was lynched I felt horrible. But how the hell am I supposed to know in a game with 20-odd neutrals. That was the hardest part of baddie hunting, is people were laying low, or being vague as shit about things and I was operating under the mindset that this was a baddie trait. Honestly, I became so intoxicated and exhausted with the game that it was getting unhealthy. I'm kind of glad I got killed when I did, since it got me back on track, which is real life. Real life is more important. Mafia is fun and all, but this was like anti-therapy for me.

One thing I was proud of was how close I got to making my epic challenge. Oh man. I was rolling with the punches.

My epic challenge was: If i auto rezz then i can auto rezz into a different role of a night killed player.
Which meant that I had to die in position 3. I almost had it on night 7.
I was hungered on day 4 which made me work to kill JJJ in 3 days or I would die. I didn't want to do so since I didn't think he was bad. So I worked around it to push for position 3 on day 7, and got it, so I was set as long as JJJ didn't die before then. :disappoint:

Deathmask Shaman - Scotty
-- What was your epic challenge?
See above
-- No dead role check on N1, I assume
Nope. No lynch on day 1, so nothing to do.
-- No rezz on D/N2, I see.
Had no reads on anyone. Plus I was u recruited still, so no need.
-- What dead power did you use D/N4?
Pretty much only able to use Golden's power, so I tried to meddle with the votes, but it didn't matter because lynch switch.
-- Who did you have BTSC with D/N5?
I picked MP because I didn't read him as bad. Unrecruited, he was. Nice talking with him, but the only thing I learned was that he killed unfurl, when Ubzergan wanted Mp dead.
-- Thanks for the rezz again!
Lol you're welcome. I had no info on anyone at the time and wanted to get a rezz in on someone I thought was civ before I died. Turns out you were, even if you didn't know it :p
-- Who did you role check on D/N8?
Tried to check SVS, but was blocked.
-- Who did you BTSC with D/N9?
Wilgy.
I got some good info from him, learned that Caelia was already dead, and that Dom was the last remaining person on his BTSC team. That was discouraging. Also I misread which team he was on originally and thought he was on Ahriman. That was a boneheaded thing lol. Was planning on rezzing him or Epi the the day after I died. But I died, so didn't get to it. Sorry Wilgy! And thanks for chatting with me!
-- Did you use any dead power before dying D/N10?
I only used the 2 I mentioned. Not enough times in position 2.
When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather;
not screaming like the people in his car
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImage
Ricochet
Uomini D'onore (Man of Honor)
Posts in topic: 393

Post by Ricochet »

Oh, it's way in the past, but I forgot to mention.

On N2, when Llama forced me to vote Golden, I faked being silenced. :p The contradiction between me defending Golden the previous Days (or just being highly indifferent to the whole debacle) and suddenly having to turn on him would have been too compromising. It also made me believe LoRab was forced to do the same, suddenly jumping on him, but if so, she found a way to work with that. Still waiting confirmation on that.
G-Man
Made Man
Posts in topic: 81

Post by G-Man »

Black Rock wrote:
G-Man wrote:
Ricochet wrote:OK then...I'm sorry if you already answered. I'll got through the linkitis after posting this.

Relicsmith - DF / Bass / G-Man (well, gee, good luck finding answers here)
-- What was your epic challenge?
My epic challenge was to last four days writing wacky Old Spice-themed posts. :P Actually, I never found out. I was told that my epic challenge would be sent to me once I was recruited. I totally forgot to ask our hosts what my epic challenge was after being recruited to Epi's team.
We discussed your epic challenge like this... "Oh shit! We forgot to give him that." "He's dying tonight anyways, meh"
:P

No harm, no foul. I completely forgot about it as well.
A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V
My Banners:
Word to your mom- my spreadsheet's the bomb
I got more rhymes than BoB's host Dom
JaggedJimmyJay
The Brassiere of The Syndicate
Posts in topic: 458
Preferred Pronouns: He/him/his/himself
Aka: Jay | JJJ | J3 | 3J | jagged | Jimmy | KOFM

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

Never had a proper opportunity to thank Black Rock and Long Con for the wonderful effort they put into building and running this game. It was a pleasure to take part. My favorite part was probably the flavor text at each turn of phase. :)

Also thank you Spacedaisy for believing in me enough to select me as a recruit. It's humbling and immediately made me fiercely loyal to you.

Turnip Head, sorry I felt compelled to lie about my recruitment status. I did want to reveal myself truly, but it wasn't you I distrusted -- it was the other guardians who might learn of my allegiance through you and use it against me. I also felt a strong sense of duty to protect the secrecy of the Ahriman team because of Daisy's faith in me.
Overall: 73-57 (.56) | Town 49-41 (.54) | Mafia 18-11 (.62) | Independent 6-4 (.60)

The Syndicate: Town 23-26; Mafia 10-5; Indy 5-1 | RateYourMusic: Town 14-13; Mafia 5-4; Indy 0-3 | Mafia Universe: Town 6-0; Mafia 1-0 | Student Doctor Network: Town 2-1; Mafia 1-0 | HeroClixRealms: Town 1-0; Mafia 0-1 | Bulbagarden: Mafia 0-1; Indy 1-0 | 2+2 POG: Town 1-0 | Naruto Forums: Town 0-1 | Personality Café: Town 1-0 | Vendetta Strada: Town 0-1 | Mafia451: Town 1-0 | Wintreath: Mafia 1-0

Awards:

The Syndicate

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Student Doctor Network

Rate Your Music

Best Townie, Maffies 4, 8 and 9
Best Scum, Maffies 3
Best Moderator, Maffies 8 and 9
Most Valuable Player, Maffies 7 and 9
Best Roleplay, Maffies 4 and 6
Spirit Award, Maffies 9
Hall of Fame inductee, Maffies 4

Mafia Universe

Mafia Championship Finalist, 2015 and 2020
Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage[-Mass Effect Mafia banner-]ImageImageImageImage
Golden
The Coward
Posts in topic: 324

Post by Golden »

Ricochet wrote:Oh, it's way in the past, but I forgot to mention.

On N2, when Llama forced me to vote Golden, I faked being silenced. :p The contradiction between me defending Golden the previous Days (or just being highly indifferent to the whole debacle) and suddenly having to turn on him would have been too compromising. It also made me believe LoRab was forced to do the same, suddenly jumping on him, but if so, she found a way to work with that. Still waiting confirmation on that.
Oh, on day 3, I think I had 50% more votes than whatever I actually got... that was what made me so defeatist. I knew that I needed to get something like 8-10 votes on someone else to survive... while convincing some people who were determined I was bad not to vote me.

I absolutely knew that someone (I suspected SVS, but not sure if her team was actually responsible for that bit) really wanted me out of the way.

At that point, it seemed like the only way I could win the game would be death and rebirth. I also learned that the Lord of Thunder would get full abilities, so I didn't feel too bad about it.

I was sad to never get rezzed :( I really wanted back in.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Canucklehead wrote:Civ Golden is a hurricane of self-assurance.
G-Man wrote: Coward
S~V~S
Captain Obvious
Posts in topic: 279

Post by S~V~S »

I don't think it was us. And I didn't "want you out of the way", I really thought you were bad.
Skip softly, my moonbeams, for I have heard tell
That the stairs up to heaven lead straight down to hell
Golden
The Coward

Post by Golden »

The someone was whoever made votes against me count for more... I wonder who it was.
S~V~S
Captain Obvious

Post by S~V~S »

I never go hard like that against someone unless I really think they are bad, regardless of my affiliation.
Golden
The Coward

Post by Golden »

Hey, even when you are bad you really want other baddie teams out of the way. The person who cursed me might well have been a civ, I just don't know.

I played this game really badly, but it really was my first game ever where the affiliations weren't basically set up front and straightforward. It was quite an experience, and I clearly played it all wrong.
S~V~S
Captain Obvious

Post by S~V~S »

Well if it was us, I am sure I will be corrected :)
reywaS
Money Launderer
Posts in topic: 239

Post by reywaS »

Golden wrote:Hey, even when you are bad you really want other baddie teams out of the way. The person who cursed me might well have been a civ, I just don't know.

I played this game really badly, but it really was my first game ever where the affiliations weren't basically set up front and straightforward. It was quite an experience, and I clearly played it all wrong.
I regret my early approach to this game, and I felt really really bad after your lynch. It was totally the wrong way to go about this game. I tried play like I would a civvie role, and that was bad strategy...for me anyway. I should have approached like I would a traditional LMS role, which I have had success with in the past. Please accept my humble apology. :(
Some day, Some day
Some day I'll, I wanna wear a starry crown
Golden
The Coward

Post by Golden »

Rey, I hold nothing against you, I'm just glad you didn't quit, because I'm really pleased to have you back.

It was my fault people went after me. But it is also the mere existence of my strong civilian meta. People couldn't buy the fact that as a neutral, I would be willing to try a gambit to take out someone that I thought was a threat to my survival. I thought people would recognise that I do gambits all the time, and it's completely me, and that it would make sense in the context of the game. Clearly not!

Can't wait for recruitment 5!
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

Lol, I was cursed to vote Golden too; I had no idea how to pull that off, so I just went nuts. :P

Golden wrote:I played this game really badly, but it really was my first game ever where the affiliations weren't basically set up front and straightforward. It was quite an experience, and I clearly played it all wrong.
You and me both. :sigh:
S~V~S
Captain Obvious

Post by S~V~S »

For me it had nothing to do with your civilian meta, Golden. I thought you pulled a ballsy move and then tried to bullshit your way out of it :p
Golden
The Coward

Post by Golden »

S~V~S wrote:For me it had nothing to do with your civilian meta, Golden. I thought you pulled a ballsy move and then tried to bullshit your way out of it :p
BullSUIT SVS, get it right :haha:

I'm so pulling out that bullsuit again.

Rico - I targetted DFaraday night one, and the element I picked was water. I don't remember what else I did, I may have targetted DH day three i think?
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

Bullsuit and pedantic pink were the best things to come out of this game.
Marmot
Marmot

Post by Marmot »

Was it bullshit or Bullzeye that got corrected to bullsuit?

Banners and Stuff
My Syndicate Mafia Wins:

Heists Image Image Image

Some other Banners:

2014 Sockys Image

Marmot
Marmot

Post by Marmot »

Golden wrote:I played this game really badly, but it really was my first game ever where the affiliations weren't basically set up front and straightforward. It was quite an experience, and I clearly played it all wrong.
Would you have played it like I did though?

Banners and Stuff
My Syndicate Mafia Wins:

Heists Image Image Image

Some other Banners:

2014 Sockys Image

S~V~S
Captain Obvious

Post by S~V~S »

Golden wrote:Hey, even when you are bad you really want other baddie teams out of the way. The person who cursed me might well have been a civ, I just don't know.

No you didn't, you played it like you. No guts, no glory, right? You never played a game like this before, so you forged your own way. It did not work, perhaps, but that does not mean you played badly. It means your strategy needed tweaking.
unfurl
The Mark
Posts in topic: 90

Post by unfurl »

I have a question- curious about something

Where does the term "Meta" comes from?

like back in the days from RM, I dont recall peole using it, but now people refer a lot do it
If im correct is like someone style? but is the term sort of new? or am I have been to sidetracked that I never noticed it before :P
Marmot
Marmot

Post by Marmot »

unfurl wrote:I have a question- curious about something

Where does the term "Meta" comes from?

like back in the days from RM, I dont recall peole using it, but now people refer a lot do it
If im correct is like someone style? but is the term sort of new? or am I have been to sidetracked that I never noticed it before :P
You are correct, it's a term that refers to a player's play style.

I have no idea how long it's been used, but it's been commonplace on this site since I can remember. :)

Banners and Stuff
My Syndicate Mafia Wins:

Heists Image Image Image

Some other Banners:

2014 Sockys Image

unfurl
The Mark

Post by unfurl »

Thanks MM
Im probably the one that never noticed it before in other sites most likely XD
juliets
Dancing Pancake
Posts in topic: 3
Preferred Pronouns: she/her/hers
Aka: jules

Post by juliets »

Unfurl, in my opinion you are right, meta is not a word we ever used at LP,the piano, or rev mafia. It wasn't used at TS at the beginning either. I can't put a date on it but you have been playing longer than I have and I consider it a relatively new word that describes a concept that we always used - we just called it something different.
JaggedJimmyJay wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 3:24 pm Always good to remember that there is no such thing as a Mafia circumstance that is worth real human emotion. Sometimes it will naturally come out, but it can be contained if we just remember that this is a game on a message board forum that 99.99% of the population of the Earth has never heard of before. No matter how successful anyone is, it means just about nothing.

ImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
DharmaHelper
Capo Regime (Street Boss)
Posts in topic: 363

Re: Recruitment Mafia IV: Dawn of the Clans (Day 14)

Post by DharmaHelper »

Black Rock wrote:thellama73 has been eaten by a dragon. Bullzeye has been lynched he was Lord of Thunder and on Team Azura.

The game has ended, Team Ubzargan has won, congratulations to S~V~S, Metalmarsh89, Tranq, Devin the Omniscient... and aapje. Also reywaS has won as the Rogue Mercenary.

Special congratulations to Team Ahriman for being survivors in this bloody battle. Spacedaisy, Bea, and Sorsha you fought a uphill battle and survived. Sorsha was the best damn dragon a host could ever achieve.
Are you fucking kidding me.
our Linkitis is our lives.

ImageImage
ImageImage
unfurl
The Mark

Post by unfurl »

JC! :coffee:
Good to know, that I have not lose all my memories marbles yet XD cause I just started to notice it recently
One of those weird things that makes me curious to where it comes from :p
DharmaHelper

Post by DharmaHelper »

Thanks for the game BR/LC. What a way to go out.

ImageImage
ImageImage
Marmot
Marmot

Post by Marmot »

juliets wrote:Unfurl, in my opinion you are right, meta is not a word we ever used at LP,the piano, or rev mafia. It wasn't used at TS at the beginning either. I can't put a date on it but you have been playing longer than I have and I consider it a relatively new word that describes a concept that we always used - we just called it something different.
The first use of the word on this site goes to SVS (under a sock name) in Grimm's Fairy Tale Mafia.

Banners and Stuff
My Syndicate Mafia Wins:

Heists Image Image Image

Some other Banners:

2014 Sockys Image

unfurl
The Mark

Post by unfurl »

Metalmarsh89 wrote:
juliets wrote:Unfurl, in my opinion you are right, meta is not a word we ever used at LP,the piano, or rev mafia. It wasn't used at TS at the beginning either. I can't put a date on it but you have been playing longer than I have and I consider it a relatively new word that describes a concept that we always used - we just called it something different.
The first use of the word on this site goes to SVS (under a sock name) in Grimm's Fairy Tale Mafia.
So funny cause I also search the post here, and the user name came as Ricochet 2, (but I missed reading the 2)
so I thought it was from Ricochet, with who I think this was the first time we played together, so I thought well the origin is probably from another site then
but now is more of a mistery then, but Im too lazy to go to RM to see if it was used there also
thellama73
Supatown
Posts in topic: 252

Post by thellama73 »

Meta is a Greek derived prefix that denotes being outside or beyond something else. Metaphysics deals with concepts beyond the scope of regular physics. In mafia, the metagame involves looking at considerations outside of the framework of the current game, such as how players played in the past.

For that which goes beyond even the meta, the prefix is "pata." See: the works of the absurdist Alfred Jarry and his exploration of pataphysics.
Epignosis wrote:If llama is good, it means we exist in a universe in which multitasking llama can call out the first of two mafia while simultaneously calling out two civilians.

I don't want to live in that universe.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
DharmaHelper

Post by DharmaHelper »

That's really meta-interesting.

ImageImage
ImageImage
S~V~S
Captain Obvious

Post by S~V~S »

Metalmarsh89 wrote:
I first heard it from Comfortably Numb who played with us for a while at all three sites Iirc he was a Dutch man maybe in his 40s. You must recall Comfy?
bea
Racketeer

Post by bea »

I first heard it from lorab waaaaay back in the day like first bts? Maybe second? I do admit it was something that wasn't really commented on by the name in game much. Mostly the debate as I remembered it way using the info vs not using it.
JaggedJimmyJay

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

Y'all use weird terms around here. :P

"Meta" is a staple of RYM vernacular. Where you say "no u", we say "omgus" (oh my god you suck). Where you say "civs with BTSC", we say "masons" (though the entire concept of BTSC is completely different here). I'd never even heard "BTSC" before coming to The Syndicate.
Overall: 73-57 (.56) | Town 49-41 (.54) | Mafia 18-11 (.62) | Independent 6-4 (.60)

The Syndicate: Town 23-26; Mafia 10-5; Indy 5-1 | RateYourMusic: Town 14-13; Mafia 5-4; Indy 0-3 | Mafia Universe: Town 6-0; Mafia 1-0 | Student Doctor Network: Town 2-1; Mafia 1-0 | HeroClixRealms: Town 1-0; Mafia 0-1 | Bulbagarden: Mafia 0-1; Indy 1-0 | 2+2 POG: Town 1-0 | Naruto Forums: Town 0-1 | Personality Café: Town 1-0 | Vendetta Strada: Town 0-1 | Mafia451: Town 1-0 | Wintreath: Mafia 1-0

Awards:

The Syndicate

Student Doctor Network

Rate Your Music

Best Scum, Maffies 3
Spirit Award, Maffies 9

Mafia Universe

Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage[-Mass Effect Mafia banner-]ImageImageImageImage
JaggedJimmyJay

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

Then again we've played 89 games there and I think only 2 of them featured any manner of resurrection mechanic. Culture clash man.

Awards:

The Syndicate

Student Doctor Network

Rate Your Music

Best Scum, Maffies 3
Spirit Award, Maffies 9

Mafia Universe

Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

unfurl
The Mark

Post by unfurl »

S~V~S wrote:
Metalmarsh89 wrote:
I first heard it from Comfortably Numb who played with us for a while at all three sites Iirc he was a Dutch man maybe in his 40s. You must recall Comfy?
Yes, I remember Comfy, more from a game I hosted with LT at RM, I dont think I played much with him

---

I just looked over at RM and the word did not come up, in the search, so this is the first place where I first saw it
my curiosity is been satisfied
:ninja:
Turnip Head
Root Vegetable
Posts in topic: 269
Preferred Pronouns: they/their

Post by Turnip Head »

JaggedJimmyJay wrote:Y'all use weird terms around here. :P

"Meta" is a staple of RYM vernacular. Where you say "no u", we say "omgus" (oh my god you suck). Where you say "civs with BTSC", we say "masons" (though the entire concept of BTSC is completely different here). I'd never even heard "BTSC" before coming to The Syndicate.
Our culture developed independently of the larger mafia community for sure. A lot of us got our start on LostPedia where no one had really played mafia before. I think "no u" was a catchphrase of a few players and it caught on because it's fun to say. I have no idea who came up with "BTSC"... I remember being confused by that one when I started playing. Rezzes are a byproduct of having so many power roles - the standard for games on LP was 30 roles, and almost all of them had a unique power. We like crazy games XD

It is interesting that we never really referred to a player's "meta" much. I think a lot of players including myself like to play differently in each game. I've certainly never played like I did in this one, and probably won't ever again.
S~V~S
Captain Obvious

Post by S~V~S »

bea wrote:I first heard it from lorab waaaaay back in the day like first bts? Maybe second? I do admit it was something that wasn't really commented on by the name in game much. Mostly the debate as I remembered it way using the info vs not using it.
Lorab and Comfy used to argue about it; he was not a fan of metagaming :)
unfurl wrote:
S~V~S wrote:
Metalmarsh89 wrote:
Yes, I remember Comfy, more from a game I hosted with LT at RM, I dont think I played much with him

---

I just looked over at RM and the word did not come up, in the search, so this is the first place where I first saw it
my curiosity is been satisfied
:ninja:
Yeah, he played at LP & the Piano more than at RM as I recall. The meta discussions I recall were from LP. I had him in BTS during his first or second game playing with us, he originally came from a a different forum, someone else, maybe Jason Maher or Timmer brought him over to us. Nice guy, smart & fun. I would like to see him return.
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

I definitely recall talk of "meta" back at LP, but not as much as it's occurred since TS's inception.

Return to “Previous Jobs”