Random~

Kick back and relax by discussing anything unrelated to mafia at The Syndicate's Speakeasy.

Moderator: Community Team

Epignosis
Skeletor
Posts in topic: 393

Re: Random~

Post by Epignosis »

I'm thinking I would not wish to visit this particular liberry.
Stream my music for free: https://epignosis.bandcamp.com/
Vompatti
Loan Shark
Posts in topic: 359

Post by Vompatti »

Mongoose wrote:IT SLIT HER EYEBALL
that's somewhat shocking k

also, you did fine at first k
When the horse panics or something goes wrong, remain calm and reassure the horse.

Image Image Image
thellama73
Supatown
Posts in topic: 195

Post by thellama73 »

Mongoose wrote:Vompers kicked my butt earlier.
I'm up a bishop at the moment, but I can't help feeling it is all part of his plan.
Epignosis wrote:If llama is good, it means we exist in a universe in which multitasking llama can call out the first of two mafia while simultaneously calling out two civilians.

I don't want to live in that universe.
Spoiler: show
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
A Person
Loan Shark
Posts in topic: 477

Post by A Person »

Mongoose wrote:Oh and one of the student workers had periodicals fall on her face and it slit her eyeball and she's bleeding all over the place and we had to call security k
I'm terrified of accidents like that.
thellama73
Supatown

Post by thellama73 »

How do you not close your eyes when periodicals are falling at your face?
Epignosis wrote:If llama is good, it means we exist in a universe in which multitasking llama can call out the first of two mafia while simultaneously calling out two civilians.

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Epignosis
Skeletor

Post by Epignosis »

I want to play chess with somebody.
thellama73
Supatown

Post by thellama73 »

Epignosis wrote:I want to play chess with somebody.
And people in Hell want ice water. :)

Epignosis
Skeletor

Post by Epignosis »

thellama73 wrote:
I know when I'm not wanted.
A Person
Loan Shark

Post by A Person »

I'd be willing to play if i didn't suck so terribly. :(

Ricochet from PA is pretty good at it from what i here.
Mongoose
Your Neighborhood Friendly Mongoose
Posts in topic: 480
Preferred Pronouns: She/her/hers
Aka: Alison

Post by Mongoose »

Epignosis wrote:
thellama73 wrote:
I know when I'm not wanted.
I'm TheMongoose on Chess.com

You can add me if you want to play someone that will make you feel better about your own chess acumen.

I am listening to Scenes from the Louvre.
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImage
A Person
Loan Shark

Post by A Person »

Is there a date for when we do the Cloud Atlas thing? I'm itching for a new book.
Mongoose

Post by Mongoose »

A Person wrote:Is there a date for when we do the Cloud Atlas thing? I'm itching for a new book.
Are you a fast reader, Matt? If not, go ahead and catch up. If not, I will be with you in about 2 weeks or less when I finish Anatham with Loganpants.
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImage
A Person
Loan Shark

Post by A Person »

Mongoose wrote:
A Person wrote:Is there a date for when we do the Cloud Atlas thing? I'm itching for a new book.
Are you a fast reader, Matt? If not, go ahead and catch up. If not, I will be with you in about 2 weeks or less when I finish Anatham with Loganpants.
It really depends. Sometimes I can take months to get through a book because I can't get myself to pick it up, but I used to burn through new Harry Potter books in under a day. Theoretically it should probably take a week or so if i'm really into it. Maybe more, maybe less. I might wait until I figure out what others are doing so I can sync up with them. I also wanted to finally finish The Trial. :blush:
Mongoose

Post by Mongoose »

A Person wrote:
Mongoose wrote:
It really depends. Sometimes I can take months to get through a book because I can't get myself to pick it up, but I used to burn through new Harry Potter books in under a day. Theoretically it should probably take a week or so if i'm really into it. Maybe more, maybe less. I might wait until I figure out what others are doing so I can sync up with them. I also wanted to finally finish The Trial. :blush:
It's a really long book, but then you might get hooked. If you still need to finish The Trial, why don't you do that, and I'll meet up with you ASAP. Also, you could read Anathem with us!
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImage
A Person
Loan Shark

Post by A Person »

I guess I'm in no hurry as long as I've not started yet. I may read Anathem too, it seems pretty interesting.
thellama73
Supatown

Post by thellama73 »

Do you guys ever get that thing where you're listening to the radio or TV and you happen to read a word at the exact same time you hear it spoken? That just happened to me with Cloud Atlas, and they were not even talking about the book or the film, but an actual atlas of types of clouds. It kind of freaked me out.

Mongoose

Post by Mongoose »

thellama73 wrote:Do you guys ever get that thing where you're listening to the radio or TV and you happen to read a word at the exact same time you hear it spoken? That just happened to me with Cloud Atlas, and they were not even talking about the book or the film, but an actual atlas of types of clouds. It kind of freaked me out.
yes! that seems to happen to me fairly frequently (like once every other month or so, which is kind of a lot). When it's more obscure, it's even more unsettling. There's a french word in Cloud Atlas that I had never heard of (it's a music-related job) and the day I watched it was the first day I had heard of it, right? Then I started reading Anatham that night and it had the same word in it.
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImage
thellama73
Supatown

Post by thellama73 »

Mongoose wrote:
thellama73 wrote:Do you guys ever get that thing where you're listening to the radio or TV and you happen to read a word at the exact same time you hear it spoken? That just happened to me with Cloud Atlas, and they were not even talking about the book or the film, but an actual atlas of types of clouds. It kind of freaked me out.
yes! that seems to happen to me fairly frequently (like once every other month or so, which is kind of a lot). When it's more obscure, it's even more unsettling. There's a french word in Cloud Atlas that I had never heard of (it's a music-related job) and the day I watched it was the first day I had heard of it, right? Then I started reading Anatham that night and it had the same word in it.
I feel like it happens to me a couple of times a day, but usually not with such obscure references.

A Person
Loan Shark

Post by A Person »

The Baader-Meinhof Phenomenon?
thellama73
Supatown

Post by thellama73 »

A Person wrote:The Baader-Meinhof Phenomenon?
Related, but that phenomenon is easily explained by the fact that we tune out things we haven't heard of but are more likely to notice after you've just learned it.
Mine involves simultaneous occurrences, which is less easily explained. I think it is related to Jung's idea of synchronicity.

Mongoose

Post by Mongoose »

thellama73 wrote:
A Person wrote:The Baader-Meinhof Phenomenon?
Related, but that phenomenon is easily explained by the fact that we tune out things we haven't heard of but are more likely to notice after you've just learned it.
Mine involves simultaneous occurrences, which is less easily explained. I think it is related to Jung's idea of synchronicity.
The Baader- Meinhof Complex is a good film.

I am listening to Bolero. It is so good.

Something weird happened when I was getting ready to leave the library (I just got home like 10 mins ago). I had to package up all these old books that we are taking out of circulation. They get sent to Central Processing where they are taken out of the catalog. They are then returned to us and we can give them away.

Anyway, I had loaded a cart up with about 3 dozen manila envelopes all containing a book inside. Using the elevator, I took the packages down to the mailroom and dropped them off.

I should tell you at this time that 1) I am the only person who works at this library branch (it's one room on the second floor of this SPC campus) and b) I am not a jumpy person. Also, the library isn't open this week, so there were no students there either.

When I got back to the library, two lounge chairs had been moved. Six of them had been circled around a coffee table. When I got back upstairs, two of them had been pulled to the side and were distinctly and perfectly facing each other.

The library was locked when I was gone and locked when I got back.

I've had weird things happen in this library but this was the weirdest.

Since I left so late, the security guard walked me out to my car (Remember the Pyramid Head Scandal?) and before we left, I asked him if he saw anyone on CCTV come and move the chairs. The CCTV doesn't show the chairs in either camera, but it does show both the front and back entrance and no one came in when I was gone.

WEIRDNESS.

Bolero is amazing.
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImage
A Person
Loan Shark

Post by A Person »

Even ghosts need a comfortable place to sit while discussing their favorite books.
Epignosis
Skeletor

Post by Epignosis »

Honey, please get a new job at a place with less weirdness, like at a haunted house.
Epignosis
Skeletor

Post by Epignosis »

Anyone free for chess?
thellama73
Supatown

Post by thellama73 »

Epignosis wrote:Honey, please get a new job at a place with less weirdness, like at a haunted house.

It won't make any difference. I've known her for ten years and this sort of stuff follows her around.

Mongoose

Post by Mongoose »

thellama73 wrote:
Epignosis wrote:Honey, please get a new job at a place with less weirdness, like at a haunted house.

It won't make any difference. I've known her for ten years and this sort of stuff follows her around.
I wish it didn't, but you are absolutely right. My apartment is 100% completely not haunted though. Well there's a Murphy bed that may/not be haunted. Come and try it out and then tell me if you think it's haunted. (Everyone that sleeps on it has really bad dreams and Pipecleaner won't sleep there).

I've been interviewing like crazy this summer, at increasingly banal places that are sure to be rid of crazies, lazies, spooks and crooks.

Also, yay for 10 years of friendship!
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImage
Mongoose

Post by Mongoose »

I am available for terrible chess games (TheMongoose @ Chess.com)
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImage
Epignosis
Skeletor

Post by Epignosis »

Mongoose wrote:I am available for terrible chess games (TheMongoose @ Chess.com)
Give me but a moment.
Epignosis
Skeletor

Post by Epignosis »

OK Mongoose, I challenged you.
thellama73
Supatown

Post by thellama73 »

Mongoose wrote:
thellama73 wrote:

I wish it didn't, but you are absolutely right. My apartment is 100% completely not haunted though. Well there's a Murphy bed that may/not be haunted. Come and try it out and then tell me if you think it's haunted. (Everyone that sleeps on it has really bad dreams and Pipecleaner won't sleep there).

I've been interviewing like crazy this summer, at increasingly banal places that are sure to be rid of crazies, lazies, spooks and crooks.

Do you know, for a little while I was convinced you were a pathological liar because all the crazy stuff that happens to you sounds so improbable it must be made up. I no longer think that though. :)

Mongoose

Post by Mongoose »

thellama73 wrote:
Mongoose wrote:
thellama73 wrote:

Do you know, for a little while I was convinced you were a pathological liar because all the crazy stuff that happens to you sounds so improbable it must be made up. I no longer think that though. :)
I don't blame you; I think a lot of people think/thought that. James thought it until he started experiencing these "adventures" with me.

We haven't even scratched the surface on the crazy mess that happens at the library (the one I work at in the mornings and early afternoons). The haunted library doesn't really have any crazy patrons. I'll write my Sedaris-inspired stuff one day and then become an overpaid misanthrope in a French villa.
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImage
A Person
Loan Shark

Post by A Person »

The current topic inspired me to listen to Excavation by The Haxan Cloak.
Mongoose

Post by Mongoose »

Creepy!
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImage
Vompatti
Loan Shark

Post by Vompatti »

Epignosis wrote:Anyone free for chess?
I'm Vompatti on Chess.com k
When the horse panics or something goes wrong, remain calm and reassure the horse.

Image Image Image
Mongoose

Post by Mongoose »

Things I Need to Do Today at Work:

1. Relearn at Excel so I can teach a class of 18(!!!) how to use it tomorrow
2. Make a sign for the Haunted Library (Course Reserves sign)
3. Procure a fun dinner to take with me to the Haunted Library (I'll be there again until 930pm)
4. Make Announcement slides for non-haunted library

My coffee lid just totally came off and soaked me. It was no longer hot, don't worry, but it's not going to be good if I have dried coffee on my blouse and hair all day.
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImage
Epignosis
Skeletor

Post by Epignosis »

Mongoose, I owe you an apology. As is my wont late in the evening, so comfortable in my chair and warm from wine, I fell asleep. :blush:

So very sorry.
Mongoose

Post by Mongoose »

No apologies needed! I went to bed soon thereafter and feel asleep reading after 10 mins.
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImage
Epignosis
Skeletor

Post by Epignosis »

Thanks for playing with me. This really made me remember how much I love the game.
Mongoose

Post by Mongoose »

Guys, I am teaching Excel tomorrow and I'm trying to think of a fun way to do it. I figure I would do a spreadsheet with them based upon coffee stats at like 5 different coffee shops and showing how many of each drink they sell

YOUR MISSION SHOULD YOU CHOOSE TO ACCEPT IT

Help me think of 5 HILARIOUS coffee shop names

If you think coffee is too banal, we could do delis or bakeries etc.

linki - Sure thing! I like to think of it as Alzheimer's prevention
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImage
Epignosis
Skeletor

Post by Epignosis »

1. Mugged
2. Sacred Grounds
3. Brewhaha!
4. Molten Java
5. The Fine Colombian
Mongoose

Post by Mongoose »

Epignosis wrote:1. Mugged
2. Sacred Grounds
3. Brewhaha!
4. Molten Java
5. The Fine Colombian

Thanks! I especially like #3. Sacred Grounds is the name of a shop in Gainesville Rock City, where I went to college!
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImage
thellama73
Supatown

Post by thellama73 »

Mongoose wrote: Help me think of 5 HILARIOUS coffee shop names
Movie titles that could also be coffee shops:
Grindhouse
Sleepless in Seattle
Meet Joe Black
Mr. Bean
Rush Hour

Mongoose

Post by Mongoose »

thellama73 wrote:
Mongoose wrote: Help me think of 5 HILARIOUS coffee shop names
Movie titles that could also be coffee shops:
Grindhouse
Sleepless in Seattle
Meet Joe Black
Mr. Bean
Rush Hour
Oh I especially love Grindhouse.

Keep 'em coming guys!
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImage
Mongoose

Post by Mongoose »

I took two from llama and two from Epi and now I want one from Vompers.
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImage
Vompatti
Loan Shark

Post by Vompatti »

Nooooooo I'm horrible at thinking of names, especially if they have to be witty. :overreact:

Image Image Image
Epignosis
Skeletor

Post by Epignosis »

Sorry for the delay on that last movie, Vomp. I had to shower. Daughter throwing up everywhere. :(
Vompatti
Loan Shark

Post by Vompatti »

Ewwwwwwwwww :blush:

Image Image Image
Mongoose

Post by Mongoose »

Okay, Mugshots it is
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImage
Epignosis
Skeletor

Post by Epignosis »

I walked right into that trap. Stupid tunnel vision.
Vompatti
Loan Shark

Post by Vompatti »

ture

Image Image Image

Return to “The Speakeasy”