Closed Doors and Open Windows (Chapter 3)

We aim to misbehave! Join the crew of Jenny Wren in this sim set within the Firefly Universe.
Ellie
The Mark
Posts in topic: 71

Closed Doors and Open Windows (Chapter 3)

Post by Ellie »

BDH Narrator wrote:
ACTION POST

Jenny Wren and her crew arrive on Greenleaf and land with no complications from local authorities. The only ones who are granted passes to disembark the ship are Ellie, Kitsune and Teddy in order to deliver their shipment of whiskey from Earth That Was Distillery to the Drunken Spacefarer. Jane is in critical condition, having lost a great deal of blood and is barely alive at this point. Everyone else must stay on board ship due to the strict regulations in place on visitors to Greenleaf. New players/characters must enter here, so if you have something in the works, now is the time to get with me and get a jump on entering the Jenny Wren story. We're excited to have you on board. Current crew, Drunken Lullabies is still open so that we can tie up the loose ends there. You don't have to wait on that story line to end before you can post here, you can do both. Just don't neglect either story. I'm also looking to keep this game moving at an even pace, as such I need active players. I am asking for at least ONE substantial post a week. This isn't asking a lot, so I hope you can all get on board. If you are MIA for a substantial amount of time I will eventually kill your character off. We need active players to keep the story moving. Now, let's do this! Without any further ado, I give you our adventure beginning on Greenleaf....
Ellie
The Mark

Re: Closed Doors and Open Windows (Chapter 3)

Post by Ellie »

Ellie wrote:Location: Greenleaf port, Jenny Wren, Cockpit

"Your passes have cleared for three to disembark your vessel Ms. McKee. You'll have twenty four hours to complete your business and leave port again. Please be aware that if you do not leave by the specified time, you will be fined and your vessel will be searched." Ellie gave a curt nod and a smile in acknowledgment before cutting the link. She hit the shipwide comm and announced, "Kitsune and Teddy, I got our passes squared away so meet me in the cargo bay in five." She knew she had a small window to act and she wasn't sure how much longer Jane would last, it certainly wasn't looking good for her right now. Ellie hopped up and quickly made her way back to the small cabin that was Jane's. Fiona was in there already and looked up anxiously at Ellie as she entered. Bending over Jane's bed, Ellie quietly observed her for a moment as she checked her pulse. The pilot was still breathing and her heart was still beating, but barely. With a shake of her head Ellie said to Fiona, "Can you take care of her? I'm going to see if I can get a doctor for her. I assume a planet like this, with a booming medical industry, there must be a good doctor's practice here." Ellie straightened up and patted Fiona on the shoulder, "I know I'm asking a lot, but I think you're strong enough to handle it. Just stay with her. I'll be back as soon as I can."

She stopped in her cabin and glanced down at her undershirt and flannel shorts. She hadn't changed since the ordeal with Lewis and his buddies had begun, and her clothes were stained with the blood of Jane as well as the blood of the assholes who were trying to steal Jenny from her. It would definitely draw too much attention outside. She yanked open a drawer and dug through it, pulling out a light blue, v-neck t-shirt she puled the bloody undershirt off and slid the clean shirt over her head. She drew out a pair of faded denim jeans and dropped her sleep shorts to the floor before she slipped the jeans on as well. Finally she threw on her socks and a pair of boots. Then she grabbed her light brown leather jacket and hurried out of her room and down the corridor. As she passed through the galley she yelled to Timmy who was banging around in the engine room, "Timmy, I need this ship ready to go in the next few hours, we have to leave again in 24 hours. Don't let me down kiddo!"

She took the stairs a couple at a time and entered the cargo hold to meet up with Teddy and Kitsune. Teddy was standing stiffly in the center of the room, his military breeding made him seem so formal to Ellie, she still wasn't used to it. Kitsune was leaning against the mule with a sly grin on his face, Ellie got the impression he was trying to antagonize Teddy before she came in, but she hadn't heard their conversation so she wasn't sure. "So here's the deal guys. The mule is loaded," she motioned to the crates already loaded on the mule, "I need your help taking the whiskey to the Drunken Spacefarer. But I also need to find a doctor for Jane. We only have twenty four hours on the planet before we have to leave. And trust me, we don't want to bring the authorities down on us because we out stay our welcome. So can I trust you guys to deliver the whiskey while I get us a doctor? You both will get a cut of the payment of course, just like the rest of my crew..."

She nodded a bit at their answers and then continued on slowly, "There's one more thing. I've arrange for a little... side job while we are here. See, it's very difficult to get a pass to land granted on Greenleaf. The reason has to be completely above board. Since I had a legitimate job lined up, someone got in contact with me about a, shall we say... less legitimate business opportunity. All I we need is for you guys to make your way to this address," she held a slip of paper out for one of them to take, "You'll be picking up two small boxes there. You'll need to conceal them somewhere on the mule where they can't be seen coming back. And whatever happens, avoid drawing attention to yourselves. You don't want caught with that cargo, trust me. Bring it back to the ship, and we will get out of here as soon as we can. So..." she looked from one to the other and asked, "Are you guys in, or what?"

Tag: Fiona, Timmy, Teddy, Kitsune
OOC: Game on! New characters, let's get you in here!
Ellie
The Mark

Post by Ellie »

Graham wrote:Location: Greenleaf, back room of the Drunken Spacefarer

He held a drink out to Low, "What about you, dare I ask how you got a bullet through the shoulder?"

Low shrugged and cringed for his efforts. "A job!" he took the offered drink. "See I was protection detail for cargo being moved from warehouse to the space port. We got ambushed. Cargo's gone, as is my job." he took a drink. "Now I've got to get myself off world before he shows up. The old bosses do not take failure too well. Matter's not if it was your fault or not."

Graham lifted an eyebrow at his answer, "Stuff like that makes nearly makes me question my decision to leave. Almost. But then I have a rendezvous to make." He gives a little wink and downs the drink in his hand.

"Ye think they might have room on that ship for another?" he glanced over at his shoulder, then began pulling his shirt back on gently over his head. "I can do more than shoot, and bleed. Could use a new job."

With a small shrug he answered, "It's not my ship or my decision. I can see if I can get you an introduction to the ship's captain, but getting a job with the crew will be up to you. I've got enough convincing of my own to do I suspect." He caught the questioning look on Liam's face and replied, "It's a long story." lifting his wrist, he checked the time, "That's funny, they should have arrived by now but I haven't got confirmation of it yet. Hope they didn't run into any problems..."

Tag: Low
Ellie
The Mark

Post by Ellie »

Low wrote:Location: Greenleaf, back room of the Drunken Spacefarer

With a small shrug he answered, "It's not my ship or my decision. I can see if I can get you an introduction to the ship's captain, but getting a job with the crew will be up to you. I've got enough convincing of my own to do I suspect." He caught the questioning look on Liam's face and replied, "It's a long story." lifting his wrist, he checked the time, "That's funny, they should have arrived by now but I haven't got confirmation of it yet. Hope they didn't run into any problems..."

Liam slowly swung his legs over the side of the bed and sat up, he finished the drink he had been nursing for the last few minutes and nodded to Graham. "To be sure. Never a good thing when one is running late. But if I know one thing it is that trouble always finds you when you don't need it." he felt his vision swim for a moment as he came fully upright but planting his hands on the bed steadied himself. He held a hand up as Graham leaned forward concerned but for a brief moment. "I'm fine."

"You certain?" Graham asked.

Liam nodded, "I do not intend on sitting idle while we wait." he slowly rose to his feet. "If my reapers come, I'll be waiting in the open." he said as he grabbed his Buscadero, strapping it about his waist. "Besides, I'm starving!" he pulled the Colt 1873 checking the rounds were still fresh. "What about you? You gonna stay back here waiting?"

(Assuming a response either way...)

Liam picked up his rifle and craned the lever back allowing the last spent casing to pop free of the breach, and he began loading new rounds into the rifle as he walked out of the room taking but a moment to sling his pack over his good shoulder. His knee ached as he strolled down the short hall back to the bar. He dropped the barrel of his rifle over his shoulder, drawing in a sharp breath as it bounced on his bandage.

Lows eyes slowly surveyed the room starting from the far side slowly to where he was, he looked intently at each person. Each was armed that was certain, but would any of them be looking for him. Greenleaf wasn't exactly the place one went unarmed so that was never a clear sign of danger. No one stood out, he didn't recognize anyone from the company. That was at least a good sign. He dropped into a chair at a table nearby setting the rifle down next to the chair. He caught the bar keep staring at him from behind his station. "What?" he asked.

The bar keep gave a laugh. "What indeed. You done bleeding all over my bar?"

"Not that anyone does not ever bleed in your bar ever, no. I'm done for now." he said offering a smile. "Could I trouble you for some food?" he asked.

The bar keep simply nodded and went into the back of the bar, Liam could hear the sound of a fire and something cooking. He could smell now the scent of cured meat cooking. He pulled his change out and waited watching the others and the door.

Tag: Garham, and anyone else who might wander in.
Ellie
The Mark

Post by Ellie »

Graham wrote:Location: Greenleaf, Drunken Spacefarer, Back room

Liam nodded, "I do not intend on sitting idle while we wait." he slowly rose to his feet. "If my reapers come, I'll be waiting in the open." he said as he grabbed his Buscadero, strapping it about his waist. "Besides, I'm starving!" he pulled the Colt 1873 checking the rounds were still fresh. "What about you? You gonna stay back here waiting?"

"I'll join you in a moment. I need to clean up my tools and get my bag packed back up." Graham motioned to the dresser with his "sewing kit" strewn across it. Liam left and Graham turned to the mess. For having recently operated on a man with a gun shot wound to the shoulder, it really wasn't as bad as one would expect. There were some bed sheets he was sure he was going to be charged for, but otherwise the room had escaped pretty unscathed. A basin with warm water sat at one end of the dresser and Graham picked up the tools he had used one by one and washed them in the water. Then he dug some rubbing alcohol out of his black bag. Dabbing some on a cloth he idly wiped each one down. Even as he went through the motions, his mind was miles away. Raucous laughter floated in from the main room and brought him out of his reverie. The last tool was slipped into it's pocket and Graham rolled the case up and set it inside the bag before closing it with a snap. One last look around the room and Graham followed in the direction Liam had just disappeared.

Graham settled down on the stool next to Liam at the bar again and signaled to the bartender that he wanted another drink. When his glass was delivered he handed him some coin and said, "This is for the beer, and a little extra for the sheets."

The bartender smirked, "First time someone other than a doxie or her john said something like that to me."

His joke was met with a hollow chuckle. Graham felt all sorts of out of place right now. He wasn't a dandy or anything, but he was used to living in a simple small town country life kind of place. People had values and were mostly just hard working stiffs trying to make a better life for their kids and such. Jokes about doxies were far removed from where he made his home now. And though a younger version of himself might have been more at home in such a place, he was a lot older now. A different person, for the most part. Some things hadn't changed though. Looking down at his watch and then casting an anxious glance at the door, Graham sighed before tossing back a swig of his drink. All this waiting was making him feel frayed around the edges.

Ellie
The Mark

Post by Ellie »

Kitsune wrote:"Anything for you Ellie dear." Taking the note from her.
Delivering the Whiskey was strait forward enough, but the Package pick up seemed a little to shady for his liking. The former cop in him said he didn't like it and he tried to convince him self "if I don't open it and stick to the driver rules I will never know and can only assume. The nagging feeling didn't go away however, It would really bother him if he did find out it was a drug pick up. Wearing his usual apparel(see signature line for image)he hopped up onto the mule in the shot gun seat. He decided to occupy his thoughts with something else... something feminine.
Ellie
The Mark

Post by Ellie »

Ellie wrote:Location: Jenny Wren, Cargo Hold

Ellie climbed into the driver seat of the skiff and waited while Teddy opened the bay door and climbed into the back seat. She turned on the engine and rolled out of the ship, squinting at the sudden change in light levels. The docks on Greenleaf were nowhere near as busy as a place such as Persephone. Mainly because the government kept such tight control over the travel to and from the planet. Their plant life was such a precious commodity, they didn’t want to give any kind of foothold to the black market. Ellie could understand their point of view, but at the same time she had seen how disease could ravage a Rim planet so denying them access in the name a profit just seemed wrong. Such was life under The Alliance.

As they moved out of the cleared area of the docks, the vegetation on either side of the ground became more dense. Most planets were little more than dust covered terra-formed rocks. Those that had trees and the like didn’t even compare to the lush nature of Greenleaf. The sunlight filtered through the overhanging branches and Ellie was kind of glad that they were each in their own thoughts. She had the very real fear that saving Jane’s life might be a lost cause, but she had to at least give it a shot. The road they were on opened up into the main drag of the town and they passed a general store, a couple specialty shops and a post office before she saw the Drunken Spacefarer ahead on the right. There was a small sign that said “Deliveries” with an arrow pointing down an alley that ran alongside the building. She turned the skiff down the alley and pulled it to a stop at the delivery entrance. Cutting the engine, she climbed out of the vehicle and tossed the keys to Kitsune, “She’s all yours. I’ll see you back at Jenny.”

Around the front of the building she found the front entrance and hurried inside. Her eyes adjusted again to the new light levels, and she spotted the bartender standing beside a table over by the fireplace talking to a couple grizzled old guys who didn’t seem to have a full set of teeth between the two of them. “Hey!” she called out as she headed his direction. The man turned to her with a questioning look. “I need a doctor, and quick!” The man crossed his arms, “Do I know you?” She sighed in irritation and said, “Eloise McKee, I brought the delivery of whiskey, it’s around back. But we ran into trouble on the way and my pilot needs a doctor, like an hour ago, so could you please tell me where I can find a doctor?” He rolled his eyes, off-worlders were always in such an all fire rush, and everything was the end of the world. He held a hand up to tell her to stop, then motioned for her to follow him. Ellie fell in step with him and he said, “You’re in luck, there is a doctor right over there,” and pointed to the bar. “Hey Doc!” he called out to the man in the fedora, who spun his stool around to face them. She stopped dead in her tracks as she saw his face. “Ian?”

Graham jumped up in surprise, he knew she was coming but hadn’t expected to be thrown into it like this, “Ellie!”

“What are you doing here? And wait, you’re a doctor??”

The bartender looked from Ellie to Graham and back, “Well seems like you two are old acquaintances. Now, if you don’t mind I have to see about a delivery of whiskey.” He slung the towel he was carrying over his shoulder and left them to sort it out while he headed to the back delivery door where Kitsune and Teddy were waiting with the goods.

Tag: Kitsune, Teddy, Graham, and Low
Ellie
The Mark

Post by Ellie »

Low wrote:Location: Greenleaf, Drunken Spacefarer

Low now days seemed to have every excuse under the sun to get a taste of the good life, he tossed a napkin down on his plate and shoved it forward. "You know, for a bar this is mighty good stuff." he said regarding the empty plate. He picked up the tumbler of honey brown liquid sitting there in front of him and spun the glass in his hand. "This stuff isn't bad either." he said with a smile. "It's too bad I've got to skin out of here. But life has a way of giving it to you sweet, and spit'n ya out sour!" he exclaimed.

"Right, now you've gone all philosopher on us eh Low?" the bar keep ask before shaking his head and taking up the plate to summarily toss it through a window. It was received by the startled yelp by the occupant of the kitchen.

"I suppose I could take that up as a profession but I reckon it don't pay much. Besides, when you Philosophize your bound to get noticed." he said taking a drink from the cup.

"Whatever you say Low!" he said walking down the bar and over to a couple of old timers.

Low glanced over at the usually quiet Graham. "What about you Doc, you ever thought of doing something other than just putting the pieces back together? Butcher shop perhaps?" he made a sign with his hands. "Graham's Precision Cuts, has a nice ring to it." he nodded to himself. "Graham's chop house." he regarded the imaginary sign a moment. "Naa, to pretentious." Low heard the doors to the bar swing and the soft sound of boots on the ground, but he paid no mind.

“Hey!” she called out as she headed his direction. The man turned to her with a questioning look. “I need a doctor, and quick!” The man crossed his arms, “Do I know you?” She sighed in irritation and said, “Eloise McKee, I brought the delivery of whiskey, it’s around back. But we ran into trouble on the way and my pilot needs a doctor, like an hour ago, so could you please tell me where I can find a doctor?”

He rolled his eyes, off-worlders were always in such an all fire rush, and everything was the end of the world. He held a hand up to tell her to stop, then motioned for her to follow him. Ellie fell in step with him and he said, “You’re in luck, there is a doctor right over there,” and pointed to the bar. “Hey Doc!” he called out to the man in the fedora, who spun his stool around to face them. She stopped dead in her tracks as she saw his face. “Ian?”

Graham jumped up in surprise, he knew she was coming but hadn’t expected to be thrown into it like this, “Ellie!”

“What are you doing here? And wait, you’re a doctor??”

The bartender looked from Ellie to Graham and back, “Well seems like you two are old acquaintances. Now, if you don’t mind I have to see about a delivery of whiskey.” He slung the towel he was carrying over his shoulder and left them to sort it out while he headed to the back delivery door where Kitsune and Teddy were waiting with the goods.

Lows eyebrow had risen, that voice was familiar. He'd not heard it for a spell. Slowly he turned in his seat until he could see her. "By the Maker, tis a ghost!" he said then abruptly turned around and downed the last of his drink. He closed his eyes and said a prayer, then slowly turned around with his eyes closed. Slowly he opened one, then closed it tightly. "No. it Canna be!" he muttered. Slowly he opened both eyes. "Ellie? Ellie McKee?" looking between Graham and Ellie. "Wait... this is who you've been waiting for?"

Tag: Your it!
Ellie
The Mark

Post by Ellie »

Graham wrote:Location: Greenleaf, Drunken Spacefarer

Lows eyebrow had risen, that voice was familiar. He'd not heard it for a spell. Slowly he turned in his seat until he could see her. "By the Maker, tis a ghost!" he said then abruptly turned around and downed the last of his drink. He closed his eyes and said a prayer, then slowly turned around with his eyes closed. Slowly he opened one, then closed it tightly. "No. it Canna be!" he muttered. Slowly he opened both eyes. "Ellie? Ellie McKee?" looking between Graham and Ellie. "Wait... this is who you've been waiting for?"

Graham looked in confusion at Low, "Yes. You know her too?"

He turned back to Ellie, "You are looking for a Doctor?" He had thought about what he would say when she finally arrived, but he was just so thrown off balance by her sudden appearance and now it was clear he wasn't the only one here from her past. He fidgeted a bit and then reached down to grab his bag off the floor after she explained the situation, "If you want to take me to her, I can help." He glanced uncomfortably at Low, "Guess you don't need that introduction after all, will you be joining us?"

Ellie
The Mark

Post by Ellie »

Ellie wrote:Location: Greenleaf, Drunken Spacefarer

"Ellie? Ellie McKee?"

For the first time, Ellie's attention shifted to the guy sitting next to Ian at the bar. It took her a second to register, but he seemed familiar. She cocked her head a bit to the side and said, "Low? Is it really you? Did my invitation to this little reunion get lost in the mail?"

Her mind reeled a bit, trying to process the fact she came here expecting a doctor she didn't know and instead found two guys she knew pretty well. Graham brought her back to the moment by asking, "You are looking for a Doctor?"

"Jane!" The momentary surprise had knocked her purpose clean out of her mind. "Yes! We had a bit of trouble on our way here, some folk tried to start some trouble and my pilot was on the receiving end of someone's gun. She's lost a lot of blood and I don't know if she can make it."

He fidgeted a bit and then reached down to grab his bag off the floor after she explained the situation, "If you want to take me to her, I can help." He glanced uncomfortably at Low, "Guess you don't need that introduction after all, will you be joining us?"

Ellie cast a questioning look at Low, "What's he on about old man?" She shifted her weight anxiously, she knew Jane was short on time, and wanted to get help to her as quickly as she could, even if that help was in the form of Ian Graham.

Tag: Graham, Low
Ellie
The Mark

Post by Ellie »

Low wrote:Location: Greenleaf, Drunken Spacefarer

Ellie cast a questioning look at Low, "What's he on about old man?" She shifted her weight anxiously, she knew Jane was short on time, and wanted to get help to her as quickly as she could, even if that help was in the form of Ian Graham.

He nodded to Graham, "Yup, were acquainted."

Low grinned Sheepishly. "Well, perhaps we can talk on the way." he gestured toward the door tossing the rest of his coin on the bar and picking up his things. He limped after them. "I knew you were too stubborn to die on that rock!" he said cheerfully. "So...I was sort of on protection detail for this company. Well we got ambushed just down the road and well all our cargo was lost, and pretty much everyone but me died." he said following her toward the door. "Well everyone I assume is dead, and I'm likely to follow if I don't get off this rock." he held the door as the other two followed. (Assuming so anyhow) "They don't exactly take kindly to failure at this place I was employed. Pay was good, but the price is high in that department." he shrugged sheepishly. "Don't suppose you'd take on a working passenger or have room in your crew for someone with my particular talents?"

Tag: Ellie, Graham
Ellie
The Mark

Post by Ellie »

Kitsune wrote:Behind the Drunken Space Farer

Kitsune knocks on the back delivery door and awaits for someone to come and sign for the shipment. Moments later a stout man rather plain looking but obvious to anyone he was a worker at the bar.

"Delivery"

"Great we were just about to run out. Let me check the shipment and I will get you that signature and you can be on your way."bending looking through the items checking them off the list as he goes." Seems to all be here thank." signing the order and handing it back to Kitsune.

"No problem, you have a nice day partner." Hops back onto the skiff, Teddy still laying in the back his hat over his face.
Ellie
The Mark

Post by Ellie »

Ellie wrote:Location: Greenleaf, Drunken Spacefarer

Low grinned Sheepishly. "Well, perhaps we can talk on the way." he gestured toward the door tossing the rest of his coin on the bar and picking up his things. He limped after them. "I knew you were too stubborn to die on that rock!" he said cheerfully. "So...I was sort of on protection detail for this company. Well we got ambushed just down the road and well all our cargo was lost, and pretty much everyone but me died." he said following her toward the door. "Well everyone I assume is dead, and I'm likely to follow if I don't get off this rock." he held the door for the other two. Ellie shot only the briefest look to Graham and a quick jerk of her head to indicate she wanted him to follow. "They don't exactly take kindly to failure at this place I was employed. Pay was good, but the price is high in that department." he shrugged sheepishly. "Don't suppose you'd take on a working passenger or have room in your crew for someone with my particular talents?"

She was walking quickly next to Low now, leaving Graham to trail behind them a couple steps as she listened to Low's story. Slapping his shoulder she exclaimed, "There is always room for you! I wasn't sure what happened to you after that medic shouldered you off to the triage..." she paused for a moment as she remembered that night so clearly. Even now the smell of gunpowder, mud and blood seemed to crowd her senses. With a shake of her head she went on, "I'd be mighty glad for your help actually. My crew is a little... sparse." She wasn't sure how else to describe them. What word do you use for a teenage girl with some kind of disability, a tail chasing gun for hire, a fugitive ex-Alliance officer, Timmy, and a near dead pilot. She certainly hadn't expected such a tough start to her career running freight and passengers.

They had passed out of the main drag of town now, she was keeping up a quick pace to get them back to the ship as soon as she was able. They walked down the road with the dense vegetation on either side and Ellie finally looked back at Graham and asked, "How about you, I wouldn't have figured you for a doctor. When did that happen?" She didn't fall back as she listened to his response. She had about a million questions for him, but now was definitely not the time. Maybe it never would be the time.

They reached the clearing for the docks and she quickly took the path leading up to Jenny Wren. She smiled at the guys, "Welcome to Jenny Wren." The bay door was still open and she ran her hand lovingly along the door frame as she stepped inside. She didn't linger in the cargo hold, but led them straight into the interior corridor and up the spiral staircase. "I'll save the fifty cent tour for later seein' as how the situation is a bit pressing." She kept right on moving through the galley and into the corridor leading up to the cockpit, but she stopped short of it and entered the door on the right instead. Fiona looked up, her face was pale and Ellie thought she detected tears in her eyes. Ellie knelt next to her and said quietly, "It's alright darlin', I got a doctor to help. Let's get you out of here." She took the wisp of a girl by the arm and helped her stand, then guided her to the door. Once in the hallway she said, "Wait for me here," and turned back into the room. Graham had entered the room after her but Low was still standing outside in the hallway with Fiona now. Ellie stepped in close to Graham and said, "I don't know how or why you're here but I am glad for your help Ian. I'll be in the galley, let me know if you need anything." Without pausing to let him respond Ellie turned again and left the room, sliding the door shut behind her with a gentle click as it latched. She composed herself and turned back to Low and Fiona, "Let's go get something to eat while we let him do his work."

They made the short walk back to the galley and Ellie dug in a cupboard and put together a small snack for them, nothing fancy, and set it out on the table. Rifling through the refrigerator, she pulled out a pitcher of tea and poured them each a glass, setting them down in front of Fiona and Low each with a slosh, before getting her own and taking a seat on a bench next to Fiona and across from Low. The food was near tasteless, mostly just protein rations with a bit of seasoning, but she ate it slowly. It calmed her nerves a bit, her stomach had been churning since the bar. She raised her gaze to Low's and smiled, "So Regina didn't do either of us in. Can't say I ever believed I'd run into you again, but you won't hear me complainin."

Tag: Graham, Fiona, Low
Ellie
The Mark

Post by Ellie »

Graham wrote:Location: Drunken Spacefarer

Low grinned Sheepishly. "Well, perhaps we can talk on the way." he gestured toward the door tossing the rest of his coin on the bar and picking up his things. He limped after them. "I knew you were too stubborn to die on that rock!" he said cheerfully. "So...I was sort of on protection detail for this company. Well we got ambushed just down the road and well all our cargo was lost, and pretty much everyone but me died." he said following her toward the door. "Well everyone I assume is dead, and I'm likely to follow if I don't get off this rock." he held the door for the other two. Ellie shot only the briefest look to Graham and a quick jerk of her head to indicate she wanted him to follow. He clutched his bag tightly and had his duffel bag slung over his shoulder and ducked out the door with them. "They don't exactly take kindly to failure at this place I was employed. Pay was good, but the price is high in that department." he shrugged sheepishly. "Don't suppose you'd take on a working passenger or have room in your crew for someone with my particular talents?"

She was walking quickly next to Low now, leaving Graham to trail behind them a couple steps as she listened to Low's story. Slapping his shoulder she exclaimed, "There is always room for you! I wasn't sure what happened to you after that medic shouldered you off to the triage..." With a shake of her head she went on, "I'd be mighty glad for your help actually. My crew is a little... sparse."

They had passed out of the main drag of town now, she was keeping up a quick pace to get them back to the ship as soon as she was able. They walked down the road with the dense vegetation on either side and Ellie finally looked back at Graham and asked, "How about you, I wouldn't have figured you for a doctor. When did that happen?" She didn't fall back as she listened to his response. Clearing his throat nervously, he said, "Well, after you left Whitefall, and the disease that came through..." he searched for the best way to answer this, "and so many people died, one of them left me a bit of money, so I decided to become a doctor to try and help people who go through that kind of thing." So many details left out, but how could he go into it now? He just hoped he would get a chance at some point.

They followed her into the ship and up to the room where the pilot lay on her bed. He stepped inside and took in the surroundings. It was bare, no personal effects to really give him a feel for the woman he would be working on. It didn't make a difference to his work, but it made him wonder how long this woman had been on board. Ellie was speaking softly to a little girl, who gave him the vague impression of a lost kitten. She led the girl out before turning back into the room. She stepped in close to Graham and he could smell lilacs. He had forgotten she wore a lilac fragrance. It was probably the only truly girly thing about her, she had gotten the perfume from her mother... He forced himself to focus as she said, "I don't know how or why you're here but I am glad for your help Ian. I'll be in the galley, let me know if you need anything." Without pausing to let him respond Ellie turned again and left the room, sliding the door shut behind her with a gentle click as it latched. He exhaled softly, and then turned to the patient.

There was what appeared to be a blood-soaked sweater pressed against the wound. Pulling it back carefully, he deposited it on the floor and examined the wound. The bleeding seemed to have stopped. Under normal circumstances this might be a good thing, but in this particular case it was worrying. He leaned in closer and checked her pulse, watching closely to check her breathing at the same time. There was a pulse, but barely and her breathing was so shallow he could hardly see her chest moving. He took out some gauze and surgical tools. A cursory search of the drawers netted him a couple of towels. He rolled his sleeves up and tossed the fedora over onto the only spare chair in the room. He took out a pair of surgical tongs and carefully removed the bullet he could see lodged inside. As it came out, fresh blood gurgled out of the wound. With a disheartened shake of his head, he carefully cleaned out the wound. It was troubling that the wound hadn't bled more, it should have. This told him she had lost a great deal of blood, too much in fact. He took out the surgical thread and needle and stitched the wound with precision, a trained eye would tell you he was one of the best there was. He saw a wash bowl and went over to where the sink was in the room, there was a bar to pull, releasing the sink and lowering it into place. Turning the tap, a small stream of water flowed forth and he filled the bowl. Using one of the towels he wet it and wiped her torso clean, and as he cleaned he couldn't help but notice all the scars the woman bore with tattoos clearly intended to cover them up. What kind of life must she had seen, and now to be here? A moan softly escaped the woman's blanched lips and she stirred. He leaned over in concern and saw her eyelids flutter, "Try'n lie still ma'am." Her eyes focused on him for a second and he almost thought she was seeing him, but she only coughed and moaned again, trailing off to whimper.

Her head rolled from side to side and it caught his attention, "Tzao goa!" He lifted her head and examined the wound left from Lewis smacking her with a wrench. Taking the towel he cleaned up the blood on the back of her head and saw that it was a very severe head trauma. "Oh God..." He laid her head back gently against the pillow. This was worse than he thought. Ellie brought him here to help his pilot and he knew now, that wasn't going to happen. He leaned back in his chair in despair and rubbed his temples and ran a hand through his hair. She groaned again, and muttered something before letting out a final breath, her head lolling to one side and her eyes glazed over. "Oh God..." he said again. Gathering up his tools gave him time to gather up his thoughts as well, this was a conversation he wasn't looking forward to in the least.

Ellie
The Mark

Post by Ellie »

Teddy wrote:Location: Cargo Hold; Jenny Wren

Teddy was staring at Kitsune with an unamused look, he wasn't the fondest of this crewmate of his, however, right now, it wasn't his place to judge or make the demands. It wasn't his shift, or his crew, he was simply a member of it. The leadership rank of Major held nothing here, and his nobility and past service record meant nothing as well. He looked at him over his glasses, then pushed them back a top his nose.

His lighting saber laid in it's scabord at his left hip, his oversized revolver sidearm sat holstered on his right side; both always felt very comfortable with him and he was dangerous with both. When Ellie came into the room, he smiled at her and showed his mouth full of teeth "Ah, dear lady Ellie, greetings. Come with our orders now have you?"

She explained the gig, both the legal and the not so much, and Teddy nodded an understanding. "Oh fun, a quick shipping escort of good drink, a waste likely since we could enjoy it!" He laughed heartily, and continued "Then something a bit more shady? Well then, I suppose it would be appropriate for me to go with the young man and make sure we don't all get jammed up and killed then, huh?" He nodded to Kitsune, and slightly bowed to Ellie. "We'll take care of it miss!"

The pair mounted the Mule, and headed out to their destination.

Teddy always preferred the feel of either horse back, or the bridge of an Alliance Starship, but he could deal with the smaller crafts too; he kicked his feet back and held on to the arm rests as Kitsune did the driving... Or what he referred to as driving.

Upon reaching the primary destination, Teddy figured that the basic delivery was easy enough, and he tilted down his hat to take a few winks of rest while the delivered their 'legal' cargo. Kitsune returned and advised Teddy that the deal was done "Bully for them, then."

He lifted his hat slightly, and looked at Kitsune "So now what do we do about the 'other deal'...?"

Ellie
The Mark

Post by Ellie »

Low wrote:Location: Jenny Wren, galley

They made the short walk back to the galley and Ellie dug in a cupboard and put together a small snack for them, nothing fancy, and set it out on the table. Rifling through the refrigerator, she pulled out a pitcher of tea and poured them each a glass, setting them down in front of Fiona and Low each with a slosh, before getting her own and taking a seat on a bench next to Fiona and across from Low. The food was near tasteless, mostly just protein rations with a bit of seasoning, but she ate it slowly. It calmed her nerves a bit, her stomach had been churning since the bar. She raised her gaze to Low's and smiled, "So Regina didn't do either of us in. Can't say I ever believed I'd run into you again, but you won't hear me complainin."

Low reached into a pocket of his duster and slowly pulled an old scratched and scuffed brown bottle from his pocket and set it on the table. "Well," he slowly withdrew the cork allowing a rich sweet smell to release from the bottle. "I woke up in the general store with some old timer taking care of wounded. Seemed the fighting had spilled into the town. The old timer was trying to take care of the wounded and fight off the alliance. Poor old coot didn't know that it was a lost cause. Once I got my wits about me, I took up arms and protected the wounded. That is until a shell landed on the porch. Still kept fighting, up till I ran out of ammo." he put the bottle to his lips then took a drink. He offered the bottle two both of them setting it on the table. "We never did get to finish that drink." he said.

He stayed quiet for a long moment with his head down hiding his eyes. "The alliance took me. They waited their sweet time to provide medical aid which didn't help with the shoulder or my hip. One day I'll get the funds together to get them fixed, but until then i manage. Spent a long while at a mining colony until they finally released me. Made my way back here and started working odd jobs until I got into security. Then this came along." he gestured to his bum shoulder with the bandages on it.

He looked to Ellie. "I'm damn glad you made it off that rock." he offered a half hearten smile. "I'd be honored to work with you again. If you don't mind taking on the trouble. There's some heat at my back from my old employer. I'd understand if you said no."

TAG: Ellie, Fiona
Ellie
The Mark

Post by Ellie »

Ellie wrote:Location: Jenny Wren, Galley

Low reached into a pocket of his duster and slowly pulled an old scratched and scuffed brown bottle from his pocket and set it on the table. "Well," he slowly withdrew the cork allowing a rich sweet smell to release from the bottle. "I woke up in the general store with some old timer taking care of wounded. Seemed the fighting had spilled into the town. The old timer was trying to take care of the wounded and fight off the alliance. Poor old coot didn't know that it was a lost cause. Once I got my wits about me, I took up arms and protected the wounded. That is until a shell landed on the porch. Still kept fighting, up till I ran out of ammo." he put the bottle to his lips then took a drink. He offered the bottle two both of them setting it on the table. "We never did get to finish that drink." he said.

She smirked a bit at the site of the bottle, "I can't believe you've been saving it all this time. If I didn't know better you were anticipating seeing me again." She gave him a wink and took the bottle and took a pull on it before setting it gingerly back down on the table. "Now that was worth waiting for!"

He stayed quiet for a long moment with his head down hiding his eyes. "The alliance took me. They waited their sweet time to provide medical aid which didn't help with the shoulder or my hip. One day I'll get the funds together to get them fixed, but until then I manage. Spent a long while at a mining colony until they finally released me. Made my way back here and started working odd jobs until I got into security. Then this came along." he gestured to his bum shoulder with the bandages on it.

She nodded a bit at his story, it was all too common a tale among her fellow Browncoats. Caught by the Alliance and never the same after they let them go. It was sheer luck her story hadn't been the same. She thought back to the last night she had seen Low, "I was fighting on the front line, opposite side of town from the triage. eventually the Alliance broke through down the line a ways and flanked us, cut us off from the other side of town. No chance for retreat even. I got back up to that bar there in town, a shell fell close by, support beam came loose and knocked me out cold. Apparently the bartender saw it, felt like he owed me a debt of gratitude or somethin' so he pulled me into the bar and hid me down in the cellar. I was unconscious for near on a week. By then the Alliance had cleared out of Regina, seein' as they had beat us. I found my way back to a Browncoat unit on a little moon nearby, was in a few skirmishes after that but nothin' worth speakin' of. Once the surrender was called I went back to Whitefall, spent some time workin' as a small town sheriff, but I couldn't stand watchin' the Alliance operate. Now here I am."

He looked to Ellie. "I'm damn glad you made it off that rock." he offered a half hearten smile. "I'd be honored to work with you again. If you don't mind taking on the trouble. There's some heat at my back from my old employer. I'd understand if you said no."

With a light laugh, Ellie shook her head, "Hell old man, we got each other through most of the war, you think a little small time crime boss makes me shake in my boots? You don't ever need to come askin' me for work, you belong here. You've got a spot on my crew as long as you want it. I can use someone I know I can trust." She grinned, I'll get you set up in quarters once Ian is through, and I'll introduce you to the crew after the boys get back. She nodded her head at Fiona, In the meantime, this little sprite here is Fiona, she's a passenger until such time as she feels the hankerin' to leave. She gave a reassuring smile to Fiona.

Tag: Low, Fiona
Ellie
The Mark

Post by Ellie »

Fiona wrote:Location: Jenny Wren, Galley

Fiona looked up at the captain, still shaken from the events that had transpired and the time spent next to Jane's bedside. She still wasn't sure if the world was right side up or not, and the vibrations of the ship pressed against her head like a bizarre, far-off cacophony. She wanted to turn her processors off but knew from past experience it was considered rude.

Her hand shook as she reached out for the glass of tea. She suddenly felt very cold and strange. It seemed like the ceiling was pushing down on her chest; she started gulping air. Her heart sped up and her hands went numb.

"This feels..." Her voice caught in her throat and the galley tilted around her. "This feels..."

Her hand missed the glass of tea and she put her hands to her head, still shaking, teeth chattering, trying to stop the room from spinning. She tried to think of a fact, of anything besides the dizziness growing in her head. Nothing came out but one word: "Help."

She slumped forward onto the table.

Tags: Ellie, Low
Ellie
The Mark

Post by Ellie »

Low's smile was beaming he was happy about this by chance meeting, but very quickly his smile digressed into concern as he watched Fiona start to hyperventilate or at least that's what he thought was going on. Her trembling hand was reaching for a cup of tea but she failed to grasp it as the tremble in her hand was too great.

"This feels..." Her voice caught in her throat and the galley tilted around her. "This feels..."

She seemed to go flush before crying out for "Help" and started to fall forward. He managed to get an arm under her before she completely went over but the angle was too awkward to do much else than hold her. "Ellie!" he cried out. "Ms. Fiona, its going to be okay!" he said in a reassuring voice. "We've got you." he had seen this before. She was clearly unaccustomed to violence. That was a certain level of innocence that he was certainly not used too. Hopefully she would eventually get there,the galaxy was not too much of a forgiving place for innocents. He was thankful to have Ellie's help getting her leaned back into the chair. His other should as still smarting, and a bit useless at the moment. Though part of him was thankful since it was his bad shoulder to begin with. He slipped off his own chair, to kneel next to Fiona's chair checking her pulse with two of his fingers. "Best get the doc!" he said looking from Fiona to Ellie.

Ellie
The Mark

Post by Ellie »

Graham wrote:Location: Jenny Wren, Jane's Cabin

Graham cleaned up the cabin as well as Jane's body. He covered her body with a sheet and took one last look around the room. Leaving the room he headed down the corridor toward the galley, but paused just around the corner. He tried to compose himself and figure out what to say. One would think that with as many times as he had to deliver this news before that he would know how to tell her now, but this was hardly the way he imagined his first full conversation with Ellie would go. As he stood there, he could hear Ellie and Low talking. Listening to her share what had happened since the last time they saw each other, he realized that a lot had changed for her. Her friendship with Low was clear, would she be comfortable with his presence here now? He drew in a deep breath and stepped into the galley just in time to see Fiona fall and Low catch her, crying out for Ellie to get the doc.

"I'm here!" he rushed over to help move Fiona to the floor and checked her pulse. He looked at Ellie, "I left my bag in the pilot's room, can you get it for me El?"

He looked over at Low and said, "We probably just need to wake her up, maybe get some juice in her. Could be a blood sugar issue or anxiety. I'm sure she'll be alright."

Ellie
The Mark

Post by Ellie »

Ellie wrote:Location: Jenny Wren, galley

She seemed to go flush before crying out for "Help" and started to fall forward. He managed to get an arm under her before she completely went over but the angle was too awkward to do much else than hold her. "Ellie!" he cried out. "Ms. Fiona, its going to be okay!" he said in a reassuring voice. "We've got you." he had seen this before. She was clearly unaccustomed to violence. That was a certain level of innocence that he was certainly not used too. Hopefully she would eventually get there,the galaxy was not too much of a forgiving place for innocents. He was thankful to have Ellie's help getting her leaned back into the chair. His other should as still smarting, and a bit useless at the moment. Though part of him was thankful since it was his bad shoulder to begin with. He slipped off his own chair, to kneel next to Fiona's chair checking her pulse with two of his fingers. "Best get the doc!" he said looking from Fiona to Ellie.

Before she could even respond Graham, hurried the room, "I'm here!" he rushed over to help move Fiona to the floor and checked her pulse. He looked at Ellie, "I left my bag in the pilot's room, can you get it for me El?" Her stress showed clearly on her face as she gave a curt nod and jumped up to run to Jane's cabin. She burst into the room and stopped short as she saw Jane's body covered with a sheet. Jane was dead, the realization made her heart drop into her stomach. "Damn it all to hell," Ellie muttered. She saw his bag sitting on the floor, she grabbed it and left the room, making sure to close the door behind her. The last thing she wanted was someone else stumbling onto the body. She'd rather break the news herself. She carried the bag back into the galley and knelt back down by Ian, "Here's your bag."

Ellie
The Mark

Post by Ellie »

Kitsune wrote:Location: Mule behind the bar

Teddy:"So now what do we do about the 'other deal'...?"

Kitsune:"We go pick it up" Starting the Mule and heading for the next stop.

After a drive they reach their destination, a rather conformed building indistinguishable from the rest yet somehow screamed meth lab.

Kitsune: (to him self in a low voice)"God I hope its not a Meth Lab" He pushed the buildings external intercom.

Voice: a male voice spoke up "Yea?"in a semi grizzled but obviously undereducated nasal voice

Kitsune: "Your uber driver is here"smirking to him self

the door opened up and a rather tall, bald man with huge nostrils,(I mean huge like he once got dared to stick a golf ball up there and then tried to dig it out huge) a really retro mechanics shirt and pants on, with the almost obligatory white yet subtly stained wifebeater on under it. The man looks at Kitsune then to the mule then around real quick.

Male: "You know how to get to Trinity Seven?"

Kitsune: Looking over the man and seeing the name tag, which clearly was decretive as the company name said Ron Jeremy's ship shop, that read Steve. "Well ...Steve... I would be a horrible driver if I didn't." then added the code phrase given to him by Ellie "Would be a nicer trip if it were sunnier"

Steve reaches into a box on the inside of the door and pulls out three packages the size of an old book 8" by 5", wrapped in old brown butcher paper. Kitsune could only think to him self "really guy" and "yup has to be drugs" something he was not going to tolerate, but when he touched them he felt an electrical hum under the paper. the packages had their own power supply and were slightly cool as if they were in a refrigerator. squeezing them he could tell it was a metal shell, this was obviously no brick of drugs but something far more dangerous to be holding onto.

Steve:"I don't think I will be needing you to drive me I will get someone else" a clear bit of annoyance in his voice.

Kitsune: smirking a little bit, turns around and jumps onto the mule placing the packages in the center console. "Well seems like we lost another passenger" as if speaking to Teddy

With that they took off back to the ship taking side streets and long round about ways to get there. The journey however was uneventful and they arrived back at the ship. Slowing down so he can ride up the ramp Kitsune notices Teddy hop off and move to the side of the hatch and he thought to him self, perhaps he keeping watch making sure no one is watching or trying to sneak a peak...or perhaps he's guarding the ramp till Ellie gets back. He didn't know. Kitsune pulled the Mule up to its spot and got off. He didn't plan on taking the packages out till Ellie got back and the ship got underway. With that he headed up to the GALLEY to start making Dinner for everyone once they got back.... he thought to them self "Perhaps a nice Charcoal Grilled Venison Round Steak with Chestnut Sauce"

LOCATION = Stairs to the GALLEY
Ellie
The Mark

Post by Ellie »

Fiona wrote:Location: Galley

Fiona tried to overcome the roar in her head. She tried to open her eyes. There was a sharp pain like a fist clenched around her heart. It hurt to breathe. Her hands were clenched in fists that wouldn't relax.

Noise assailed her ears and she fitfully tried to reach up for her processors, to turn them off, to get away from the noise.

She tried to speak, tried to open her eyes, tried to beg for help.

She couldn't.
Ellie
The Mark

Post by Ellie »

Liam watched the woman as she struggled in his arms, he was doing his best to hold onto her to keep her from banging herself up, slowly he looked over towards the doctor. "Well help her then! Come on doc!" he barked. He slowly and painfully pushed her back upright in her chair his shoulder was screaming at him for doing such a stupid thing. He could see she was trying to reach for something. She seemed to be out of sorts, trying to talk, trying desperately to do something but he couldn't rightly tell what. "Ellie has this happened before?" he asked glancing over at his friend. he was hoping the question might help the doctor in case he didn't know what was going on himself.

Ellie
The Mark

Post by Ellie »

Kitsune wrote:Location:Stairs to the Galley

Kitsune ascended the spiral stairs to the galley, he thought he was the first to get back, though he knew they were in a rush to get help for a crew member, but as he neared the top he heard voices, some strange others familiar. There was a deal of stress in their voices, concern, slight panic and general overall stress. He thought to him self "what is going on?"

As he entered the galley he saw all the commotion and people involved. They were surrounding the little book thief passenger. a quick assessment of the situation told him what was going on. With a glance he knew the doc was more then qualified but Kitsune moved to assist anyway. Clenched hands, staggered breathing, apparent fall to the floor, lack of responsiveness, Kitsune had had these symptoms before. as he walked he began to remember were he had similar symptoms.

Years ago

It was in the Empyreal mega-corporation, Walmart, Omni center. He was with his best friend Daniel shortly after a traumatic event. Kitsune started to feel uncomfortable just barely inside the store, he began to sweat and became very nervous. he began assessing everyone in the place in terms of threat management, egress points. His head started to spin, his hands started clenching up. He managed to remove him self from the situation but he remembered how the whole world seems to be collapsing in on him.

But how did she, he thought but in this universe sadder things happen every day. Walking up between the doctor and some guy holding her Kitsune bent over and turned off the girls processors. He couldn't be 100% sure that what was going on was the same and didn't know if that would help, but shutting of some of his senses would have been a blessing when he had attacks. Perhaps the lack of hearing will help her focus, if she was suffering as he thought she was. He reached into his coat inner pocket and pulled out a bag with brown sticks in it, as he did so he took a step back to let the doctor do his thing. The room began to fill with the aroma of cinnamon. He always found that scent to be relaxing, helped make him remember good times and even gave him ideas on what to cook. Holding the cinnamon stick by a little white piece of paper with gold trim wrapped around on end Kitsune began to sniff the stick. The warm earthy smell never failed to brighten his day. (hence why he has sticks in his jacket)

with that he moved over to the bar and sat down in one of the stools and kept out of the way, not uttering anything just observing. Having remembered that day he first had his attack his mind drifted to his friend Daniel. Daniel was two years his senior, roughly the same build and shape he was in, but was always a cheerful guy. The man need only walk into a room and other people cheered up....well with the exception of his ex a reaver with hygiene and hair issues. He wondered to him self what Daniel was up to these days. Looking at the stranger he thought, "huh he reminds me of him...a lot more ragged but kind of reminds me of him."

TAG: Wash, Simon, Mal and River...I mean Liam, Graham, Ellie and Fiona
Ellie
The Mark

Post by Ellie »

[quote=Low]Location: Galley

Liam looked on unsure what to do other than to make sure that she knew she wasn't alone and she was being taken care of. She was obviously frightened out of her wits. Movement caught his attention as a man rose up from the spiral staircase, he seemed to survey the situation and then walked over to them. He reached into the fray and did something to the young woman, then stepped away. "Your going to be alright." he said to the young woman. "We've got ya, docs going to make it better!" The room suddenly lit up with the smell of Cinnamon, glancing up at the man who had entered the room he noted that he was holding what seemed like the source. He glanced over at the doctor watching him do his thing. What a beginning to what was most assuredly going to be an interesting partnership with these people. Seeing as Ellie didn't shoot the Cinnamon-man he had to assume that he was part of the crew. He looked at Ellie only showing a moment of concern before turning back to their stricken comrade.

TAG: Ellie, Fiona, Graham, and Kitsune
Ellie
The Mark

Post by Ellie »

Graham wrote:Location: Jenny Wren, galley

Even Graham was feeling crowded by the people gathered around now, he could only imagine that the struggling girl was feeling it even worse. Ignoring people barking at him, and acting generally panicked, he took the bag from Ellie without comment and opened it, searching the contents. Finally his fingers closed around a small glass bottle and he withdrew it. It had no label and he removed the cork from the top, before leaning in and lifting it to her nose and sliding his hand to the back of her head to hold her still so she could smell it. "Huh," he commented thoughtfully as his fingers brushed past something bulky resting behind her ear. He brushed her hair back so he could get a look. "Processors..." he muttered and his gaze traveled down to her waist where he could see the box clipped. He quickly flipped the switch to turn her processors off. Then he looked back into her eyes, giving her full view of his mouth as he spoke, "Breath in through your nose and out through your mouth, slow and even. You're going to be fine."

(Leaving some space here for some interaction as you all see fit)

Once the girl seemed more stable, he asked her gently, "Why didn't you turn them off? I know they can cause sensory overload."

Tag: Fiona
Ellie
The Mark

Post by Ellie »

Ellie wrote:Location: Galley

Graham took the bag from her, and she quickly moved back out of the way, no use getting in the way of people who knew what they were doing when she didn't. She took a seat on the stool next to Kitsune. Without looking at him as she continued watching Graham caring for Fiona, she asked Kitsune, "How did the job go? No problems?" With a nod at his answer she finally looked over at him and found what she read as a reminiscent look upon his face. Inwardly she wondered what he might have on his mind, but she didn't ask. It wasn't really her business anyway. "I could probably use your help with something," she gave a little jerk of her towards the corridor and led the way out and back to Jane's cabin. She slid the door open and went in, waited for him to follow her in and slid the door shut again. She motioned to Jane's covered body, As you can see, our pilot didn't make it. I was a damn fool for helping those bastards. Lesson learned." Her voice held bitter regret, this death was on her and she knew it. "I don't know if Ia she caught herself, Kitsune doesn't know who Ian is. She corrected herself, "the Doctor, realizes I saw this. We'll need to bury her, but we can't use the normal arrangements, it raises too many questions since I'm pretty sure she was on the run from the law. We can't risk being caught with that delivery you picked up. Will you help me bury her tonight?"

Tag: Kitsune
Ellie
The Mark

Post by Ellie »

[quote=Ellie & Kitsune]Location: Jane's Cabin

“Yea that's not a problem, did she leave any will, or do you know her religious customs?.” looking around the room for anything that might give a clue.

Ellie leaned back against the small dresser and folded her arms, “No idea, our pilot wasn’t exactly a chatty Cathy. But we need to give her a proper burial I think, it only seems right.”

“I wouldn't have it any other way. But as for a burial, seeing how we do not know her religious preferences, perhaps a burial in space would be fitting. Set adrift toward a star or something. I only say this because if we are trying to be low key, this way would attract far less attention.”

“I don’t know, I’ve thought about it. It’s just… she seemed like her whole life was lived adrift, I thought it might be nice to plant her somewhere, y’know. A final resting place. I don’t know, it would be less dangerous for us to do a burial in space…” Ellie sighed heavily, feeling more drained than she realized. “Too many decisions and I haven’t even told the rest of the crew yet.”

“If you like when things settle down out there I can inform the crew of her passing. You have other things going on right now, so perhaps it would be best if I did.”

With a nod she said, “That’d be good I think, I’m worried about Fiona’s reaction and she has seemed to take to you. She stayed with her until the Doctor got here, it was a lot to ask of her. Seems to be a theme lately, I’ve been asking an awful lot of you too.”

“I don't know about all that, but don't you worry about me, I am fine. As for the Little miss, I would say she’ll be fine, though truthfully she won't be. Traumatic stress affects everyone differently. But the verse will keep on spinning and so will she.”

“Luckily, while finding a doctor, I also found an old friend of mine who just happens to be a pretty good pilot as well. So we can keep flying. I’ve already told him he could join up with us. Speaking of which, I was wondering if you might like to become a more permanent fixture on the ship? Clearly I can use your help, and I still don’t know how much I can trust Teddy. I want to but… he was Alliance bred, it’s going to take a while to get there. If ever. What do you think?”

“Well as I told you I am searching for someone, and I would like to one day settle down and raise a family. I would really like to have a daughter but for the time being I can't see any problems following you around. But fair warning, if my path needs to stray from your in my pursuit of the one I am looking for I will have to leave you, maybe for a short while maybe longer that's the only promise I can make…..though it breaks my heart to leave such a pretty young lady all by her self.” attempting to lighten the mood a little.

Ellie smirks a bit, “Seems my ship is filling up fast, I’d hardly say I’m all by myself. But I’m ok with that, I know you have your own business to be about, hopefully when the time comes we will have been a help to you as well. In the meantime, I’ll pay you a cut of our jobs. And free run of the kitchen, since you seem to have a taste for it.”

“Speaking of, I retrieved the three packages as requested, I can't say for sure what they contain, perhaps you know perhaps not, but I can say with its own power and refrigeration I presume it's organic and not the type of organic we want to be caught in possession of.” turning to lean against the other end of the dresser. “It's currently in the center consul of the mule, your man Teddy is watching the entrance ramp.”

“It’s probably not what you think it is. But no, we don’t want caught with it. Mainly because it’s a highly prized commodity and the officials here on Greenleaf don’t like it making money for anyone other than themselves,” she shrugged, indicating she didn’t give a rat’s ass what they liked. It pissed her off to see medicine wielded for money and power. “Anyway, I’ll go down and retrieve it and find a more secretive storage space until we make the drop. I can introduce you to our newest crew member first if you want? And when do you think we should tell everyone else about Jane?”

“The introductions can wait I’m sure we will have plenty of time for that, I will go help them get the little lady to a place where she can rest, then I will go find our crewmates and let them know privately about it, see how they feel about the funeral too.” looking down at Jane. “ Best keep her here for the time being though.”

“Agreed. I’ll talk to Teddy about it though. I need to talk to him anyway. ”She pushed off the dresser and straightened up, “I guess I’ve got some things to do before this burial business then. Best get it taken care of.” With a genuine smile she added, “Thanks Kitsune, sure am glad you streaked past us that day, though I’m not asking for a repeat, for the record.”

“Aww shucks, but if you change your mind just give me a shout.” He lifts off and heads out of the hatch pausing just passed the threshold. “If you ever need anything just ask, I can never say no to a beautiful lady.” he continued back to the galley.

Ellie
The Mark

Post by Ellie »

Fiona wrote:Fiona felt a hand cup her head and some small part of her thought it was her father. Some of the tension eased immediately and she felt her body instinctively take a deep breath. The scent that immediately assailed her nostrils sharpened the world around her, though she was still disoriented when a hand brushed over her processors.

She had a split second to hear "Huh. Processors" before she was dumped into silence.

Even that slight difference relaxed her body further, and she took another deep breath. She looked up into the face of an unfamiliar man standing before her, watching his lips move as he spoke.

"Breathe in through your nose and out through your mouth, slow and even. You're going to be fine."

Fiona's body went loose and she felt as though her thoughts were cotton candy, but she kept her eyes on the man.

He spoke again. "Why didn't you turn them off? I know they can cause sensory overload."

She swallowed, her throat unspeakably dry, and managed to get out, "It's rude. My mother told me... it's rude."

She swallowed again and tried to resist the urge to put her head on the table. "Jane died, didn't she?"

Tags: Graham
Ellie
The Mark

Post by Ellie »

Graham wrote:Location: Jenny Wren, Galley

She swallowed, her throat unspeakably dry, and managed to get out, "It's rude. My mother told me... it's rude."

She swallowed again and tried to resist the urge to put her head on the table. "Jane died, didn't she?"

Graham took a deep breath, he hadn't even told Ellie yet, but it didn't seem right to lie to the girl or try to sidestep the question. He nodded, "Yes, she was hurt very badly and lost too much blood before I got to her. I'm sorry. But I'm sure it was a comfort to her to not be alone. You did a very good thing staying with her."

He got her a glass of water and handed it to her. "As you can see, these people, everyone here myself included were very concerned for your well being. Don't ever keep your processors on just because it would be rude to turn them off. If you need them off, you turn them. No one will ever be offended by that, they'll understand." He offered her a warm smile and patted her arm. "Now, I haven't officially met you yet. I'm Dr. Graham, and what do I call you?"

Tag: Fiona
Ellie
The Mark

Post by Ellie »

Fiona wrote:Fiona kept her eyes on the man's face. Her head was pounding and she could only make out every few words through her mental confusion. Nevertheless she tried as best she could to focus on what he said. "Yes... hurt very... too much blood... sorry... comfort to... be alone. You... good... with her."

She saw a glass of water in his hand and accepted it immediately, gulping it down as fast as she could. Water slopped over the top of the glass and down her shirt front, but she didn't care. When she stopped to take a breath, she realized the man was talking to her again and she looked up. The pounding in her head hadn't decreased, and she suddenly felt more tired than she could ever remember being. The words were coming farther and farther apart.

"... included were... well being. Don't ever... processors... rude... turn them off. If you... turn them... offended by that... understand."

Hesitantly her hand brushed the control box at her waist. With only a few seconds of processing lag time, she flicked the processors back on just in time to hear the man say:

"Now, I haven't officially met you yet. I'm Dr. Graham, and what do I call you?"

Fiona pressed her hands against her forehead. "I'm Fiona," she muttered.

Tags: Graham
Ellie
The Mark

Post by Ellie »

"I'm pleased to meet you Fiona. Take these, for your headache," he set two pills down in front of her. He could tell from her complexion and her behavior her head was hurting. Then he said, Now turn your processors back off and get some rest." With that he offered her another encouraging smile.

A quick glance of the room told him Ellie had left and he looked questioningly at Low, Where did Ellie go?" He felt at odds now, thrown into a group of people he barely knew, unable to save their pilot, it was such a mess. He turned again to Low, "So you two fought together, in the war? I always wondered where she was, when she first left Whitefall I had no clue where she even went. Eventually we got word she had joined the Independents and was off fighting. Worried her ma sick, but her old man was really proud of her. He wouldn't have said that to his wife though," Graham chuckled a bit as he recalled. Then he grew serious again and asked, "What was it like for you guys?"

Some motion on the far side of the room caught his attention and he saw the Cinnamon-Man, as Low had referred to him, come back into the room.

Tag: Fiona and Low
Ellie
The Mark

Post by Ellie »

Ellie wrote:Location: Jenny Wren, Jane's Cabin

After Kitsune left, Ellie started going through the dresser drawers. It felt like an invasion of Jane's privacy, but they had to find out if there was anyone out there who might want to know that Jane was gone. Ellie packed her things as she looked through it all. There was surprisingly little in there though, Jane clearly traveled light. Some clothes, a few odds and ends, but no diary, letters, pictures, nothing. It was like the woman was gone and just left behind a big blank page. Ellie turned around and looked at Jane's body for a moment before leaning back heavily against the dresser and sliding down until she was sitting on the floor with her knees propped up in front of her. Why was this death bothering her so much? She had seen countless people die in the war, people she knew a hell of a lot better than Jane. Ellie knew why, she just didn't want to admit it to herself yet. She sat there for sometime before finally getting up and leaving the room, closing the door behind her.

As she passed back into the galley she was somewhat surprised to hear friendly conversation going on, though she didn't hear what exactly they were talking about. She didn't have time to stop and gab either, so she passed on through with only a brief glance over at the table. In the back of her mind she wondered where Timmy got off to. Usually when he disappears it meant he was getting into trouble somewhere. But today she was too emotionally spent to even worry. He was probably around here somewhere. She took the steps two at a time and entered the cargo hold where Teddy was keeping an eye on the still open bay door. As Ellie crossed the room she commented to Teddy, "I see you made it back in one piece. And you and Kitsune didn't kill each other." Reaching the far side of the bay, Ellie hit the button to close the big bay door. As it reeled up and latched she moved back over to the mule where he was standing. Lifting the lid, she saw the boxes inside. She lifted the first one out and opened it. Inside were leaves. Clippings from plants that when distilled, created some pretty precious medicine. Taking the second one, she opened it as well and found vials of the finished product. The contents of both boxes represented a pretty good financial profit for them. And the added benefit of sticking it to the pharmaceutical companies of Greenleaf. Ellie winked at Teddy, "Not quite the drugs I think that Kitsune thought he was transporting."

She grabbed both boxes and crossed the room and removed the panel where they had first found Jane hiding on Jenny Wren. Sliding the boxes inside, she fitted the panel back into place and gave it a bang to get a good seal. Then as she stood up she said, "The doctor wasn't able to save Jane, she passed away a bit ago. I know you two weren't friends or anything, but for now you seem to be part of my crew so I thought you deserved to hear it from me. We're deciding whether to take her out after night fall and bury her here or give her a burial in space, you have an opinion or feelings on the matter?"

Tag: Teddy
Ellie
The Mark

Post by Ellie »

Kitsune wrote:Location: Galley

Kitsune entered back into the galley and saw that Fiona was now conscious and the doc was helping her out.

"I'm pleased to meet you Fiona. Take these, for your headache," as he set pills down in front of her "Now turn your processors back off and get some rest."

Good, Kitsune thought, he's got her taken care of as he could hear the two newcomers talking but he didn't listen in and continued over to the cooking station. He needed to plot out his next course of action and he knew he could do that while he cooked in autopilot. His original dish was out, now that he was made aware of all that was going on, so he decided on something lighter.. Sushi and rice balls. He would make 3 types of sushi, first a Nigiri, simple enough, then perhaps a Spider roll and finally a spicy California roll. (as his stores only had the tuna, shrimp and crab equivalents.) For the Rice balls he didn't have any pickled plums and he didn't know if the traditional styles would work for everyone so he decided on maraschino cherries and honey rice balls. Taking out the ingredients he began to work, putting the rice on first as it would take 20 minutes or so to cook.

(This section in blue is just cooking recipe you need not read if you do not wish)
Then he began with the tempura batter and spicy mayo mix. In a mixing bowl, he blend the dry ingredients. Then he Stirred in the egg, and while stirring, pour in the seltzer, 1/2 cup at a time, adding enough seltzer so that the blend was the consistency of un-whipped heavy cream. with that the tempura mix was done. He then put 3 egg yolks, 1 teaspoon shallot, 1/2 clove garlic,3 tablespoons lime juice, 2 teaspoons rice vinegar seasoned with ginger,1 teaspoon miso paste,2 teaspoons Chile paste, and 2 teaspoons cayenne pepper, into a blender and began blending while he slowly added 1 1/2 cups vegetable oil. When that was finished he began to cut his ingredients slicing the tuna steak into thin cuts to the rest into small sticks.

He then began dredging the crab meat into the tempura batter and tossing it into the frying oil until it turned golden brown.

Once the large vat of rice was done he portioned some out onto a bamboo roller, into a small thin layer then added avocado slices, cream cheese slices, carrot slices, cucumber slices and some sliced red peppers. Rolled it up sliced it into disks topped with the spicy mayo and plated. then he stated on the spider roll repeating a similar proses as the last except the end pieces of each roll had what looked like spider legs made of tempura and crab sticking out. Finally the Nigiri He took the rice made it into a square-ish ball slapped some wasabi on the top then put the tuna steak fillets on top of that.

All the while he was thinking how best to do this funeral. He remembered there was a crate in which he kept some of the spices in down in the cargo hold. It was about as tall as him it would do for a casket. The outside was metallic and smooth and capable of keeping out the elements and keeping what was inside fresh so it would be just fine for what they needed. Weather it was a burial amongst the stars or un the earth. It would also not draw suspicion as it is a standard cargo crate and would be a normal sight coming off a ship. He was onto the rice balls by the time he planned it all out. The rice balls were simple he placed the cherries into the center and coated the outside with honey after it was formed into triangle's, teddy bears faces and cat faces.

Once all of that was done he set it out for everyone, under glass refrigerated domes. He however set a side a small portion for Timmy, which he plated and went to look for Timmy. The first and only place he looked was in Timmy's "Office" were he found Timmy at a small desk near the back of the engine working on something. On closer inspection Kitsune could see they were blueprints, theoretical and advanced. They were amazingly detailed yet simple enough for a bái chī sè guĭ like him to understand. "Those are really good man."

Timmy didn't even seem to notice as if he was in a super train of thought.

Kitsune wondered to him self "is this how he deals with things?" He placed the tray of food on an open spot not near anything, but as if it was always meant to be there Timmy's hand reached over, his other not ceasing to work, and put some sushi in his mouth and continued on. Again Kitsune thought to himself. "Must be hard to be a genius in a world like this" he then slowly turned to Tim and said. "Jane didn't make it her wounds were to deep and she passed away before we could get a doctor." He couldn't tell if it even registered with Timmy, or if this was his way of staying strong,(Little did he know Timmy just didn't care) he couldn't tell but with that he left him to his work. Now that Timmy was informed, Ellie having passed down to the cargo bay would have told Teddy, Fiona already found out, everyone but the princes knew about Jane.

Now came the part that had to be done, retrieving his med kit from his gear, the crate (which he emptied into his room), some hot water and some rags he headed to Jane's room.

Once there He placed the container on the floor next to Jane, the Hot water towels and med kit on the nightstand next to her bed. He then removed her Blanket and placed it in the crate in an "as neatly manner" as he could. He then placed one of her pillows in it. Followed by him removing her mattress till the cold hard steel surface was the only thing left. "I'm sorry Lass I am about to do something that would Have normally caused you to cave in the side of my head" he slowly and gently lifted her up onto the bed, removing the sheet that covered her. With the hot water soaked rags he got to work cleaning off the blood, dirt and GSR. Once he was done with that he took out some sealing foam from his medical kit and sealed up her wounds so they wouldn't impart any blood on anything they brush against.

Washing his hands he took inventory of the room. "Her closet, surely she would have some nice cloths in there" he thought. So he dried his hands and went over to see. There wasn't anything in there one might say was formal or what you might imagine a nice cute dress, in fact it was pretty much keeping with Jane's tomboy life style. There was however one set of really Nice black leather pants with fringe, gold embroidered filigree and laces. Some Matching black and gold boots, A jacket that was obviously part of the set. The jacket however didn't have any buttons and was most likely warn over something. removing the cloth he went over to her dresser were he found a black tube top she wore the day she falcon punched him in the gut. It wasn't an exact match of black but it was close enough probably only Timmy would be able to tell. He then removed her Bloody cloths and put on her outfit he had picked out from her belonging. It looked like something she would ware when dressing to impress, it suited her well he thought. Knowing she didn't have much in the way of makeup he gently lifted her up and placed her in the crate which was almost the perfect size. Not knowing her religious preferences he decided to go with how she lived. He placed one of her guns and her knife in the casket, along with three gold coins from his pocket. Not knowing much else he decided it was good enough and the crew could probably take it from here, so he slowly closed the lid and began cleaning the room.

Tag: TIMMY
Ellie
The Mark

Post by Ellie »

Low wrote:Location: Jenny Wren, Galley

A quick glance of the room told him Ellie had left and he looked questioningly at Low, "Where did Ellie go?" He felt at odds now, thrown into a group of people he barely knew, unable to save their pilot, it was such a mess. He turned again to Low, "So you two fought together, in the war? I always wondered where she was, when she first left Whitefall I had no clue where she even went. Eventually we got word she had joined the Independents and was off fighting. Worried her ma sick, but her old man was really proud of her. He wouldn't have said that to his wife though," Graham chuckled a bit as he recalled. Then he grew serious again and asked, "What was it like for you guys?"

Liam regarded the doctor for a long while, after he asked his question. The silence was kind of unnerving even to him as he considered his words. "Well I recon she had to have a chat with the Cinnamon-man." he nodded towards the man as he walked back into the kitchen and began cooking up a storm. He smiled at the aroma still lingering in the room from something previously cooked. His eyes came back to the doctor after a moment. "Yes, we fought in the war together. We saw a few actions together off and on, and you could say we finished the war together. Or at least my part." he blinked and closed his eyes as the sudden familiar smell of gunpowder and death reached back from his memories and gave him pause. "What was it like?" he leaned back in his chair. "What was it like." he closed his eyes again. "It was terrifying. It was beyond frightening. Have you ever had to live near starvation every day? Get dropped on a planet in a rattlecan that was literally coming apart as you burned into the atmo? Smelled scorched earth? Worst yet scorched bodies? Bodies mutilated by the horrors of combat so gruesome that its beyond belief? Watched a man walk off the battlefield holding most of an arm, dazed and confused?" he paused for a moment. "We were lucky. We watched out for each other. hat was Ellie like during the war? She was a rock. I wouldn't be here without having made her acquaintance. I owe her my life many times over." he nodded knowingly. "You want someone by your side going into battle there is non the better! Not in my book yet anyhow." he sighed. "War is hell. But she made it a bright spot to be sure."

He regarded the doctor. "I take it you didn't have the pleasure of fighting in the war? What were you doing while we were off dying?"

TAG: Graham, Kitsune, Fiona (if your still present)
Ellie
The Mark

Post by Ellie »

Graham listened to Low's little speech quietly. He watched him closely. As Low wrapped up he asked, "I take it you didn't have the pleasure of fighting in the war? What were you doing while we were off dying?" His gaze fell to the table, such a question felt almost like an accusation, but it may have been his own inward battle. Finally he softly replied, "Dealing with the death at our own doorstep. I don't know what Ellie told you, or if she even knew while you guys were off fighting. But a disease swept through Whitefall. Lost about two thirds of the population in our region when it was all said and done. The Alliance was busy allocating it's resources to fighting a gorram war, and they didn't care enough about a Border planet to help." He shook his head as he remembered, "I didn't fight on the lines, no. But I decided to fight a different battle, it's why I went into medicine." For the first time since Low had asked him the question, Graham met his gaze. "We all have our personal burdens that make us who we are. I'm sorry for what you and Ellie went through. I'm sorry if you feel like men like me let you down. But I can't say I'm sorry for the things I've gone through that make me who I am. We all have our path to walk." He smiled weakly and stood up. "If you'll excuse me gentlemen, I think I am going to go for a stroll. Believe it might be time to decide my fate." He gave a nod to the Cinnamon-Man and left the room, heading down the stairs. It was well past due that he talked with the Captain of this ship, he knew they couldn't stay here on Greenleaf for long.

As he came to the cargo hold door, he saw her sliding a panel into place and giving it a good whack. He hung back for a bit as she conversed with a man he hadn't seen before. Judging from the man's bearing, Graham would guess he had some kind of history with the military, not a Browncoat though. Too disciplined and formal for that. No, he must have some Alliance military training of some sort. Finally he hesitantly entered the hold and crossed the room slowly, not wanting to be a bother interrupting them. He caught Ellie's eye as he approached, "Sorry to interrupt, but I was hoping you might spare a minute to talk to me?" He glanced from the stranger to Ellie, trying to judge if he was causing a problem.

Tag: Low, Ellie, Teddy
Ellie
The Mark

Post by Ellie »

Ellie wrote:Location: Cargo Hold

(Teddy feel free to write some interaction, conversation here before Graham approaches us)

Out of the corner of her eye Ellie saw someone walking toward them. She turned to see Graham just as he came up and said apologetically, "Sorry to interrupt, but I was hoping you might spare a minute to talk to me?" She studied his face for a moment, trying to decide what she wanted to do, but in the end she knew they would have to talk. Turning back to Teddy she said with a forced smile, "Guess I have some business to take care of. I think Kitsune was making some food up in the galley when I went through there, you might get some if you hurry."

She looked back at Graham and motioned for him to follow her as she led the way out of the cargo hold. With only a brief pause to decide where they could have a private conversation, she settled on one of the empty passenger cabins. Once inside, she slid the door shut and turned to face him. He looked nervous, or at least she thought he did. "What are you doing here Ian?"

Tag: Graham, Teddy
Ellie
The Mark

Post by Ellie »

Low wrote:Location: Jenny Wren, Galley

Low watched the doctor depart the room, he felt a sudden twinge of guilt and it took him a moment to realize why. He had not meant to insult or accuse the man of something but he knew he had touched on a sore subject with him as well. "I need a drink!" he said to himself. Standing he moved over to the pantry and started searching the shelves, he found a bottle and a glass and dropped back into his chair heavily. He sighed and poured two fingers. He eyed the glass bringing it up to the level of his face. The brown liquid slowly moving about the glass. He liked the way it sort of shimmered in the cabin lights. His eyes glossed over as he suddenly remembered something. It was a smell, he could only assumed that it came from outside the vessel because it smelled like soil, the kind he had dug so many times in the past back at the mine. He hated that place, it was rough pulling precious metals from the soil, lots of hard work when you weren't allowed to use much but crude tools and a whole lot of manual labor. A lot of people died in those mines. It wasn't so much a prison sentence as much as it was a death sentence for most. He downed the liquid and let it burn its way through his throat like that smell had for his memories. He poured another and leaned back in the chair after putting the cork back in the bottle. He didn't want to drink too much just in case they had to move on and move quick. He only hoped that word hadn't gotten back to anyone in particular that he had taken up shop aboard the Jenny Wren. His former employer to be more precise. Though they had moved so quickly who knew.

One thing that he did know, he would have to apologize to the doctor in time. He didn't want to let the doctor think he was the type to hold a grudge. We'll not against his shipmates anyhow. This was shaping up to be an interesting bunch so far. It was going to be interesting once he had a chance to meet them all. He tossed back the drink and set the bottle back where it was and the glass in the sink before heading for the cockpit of the vessel. He wanted to take a moment to get an idea on what this thing's control systems looked like. It was time he got acquainted with the Jenny itself.

Leaving the Galley behind Low made his way forward and into the cockpit of the vessel, he took quick stock of the consoles and settled in behind the helm, and began looking over the individual controls. One thing was to be said about all the ships in the verse they were all very similar in layout as far as flight controls. The only difference was how they handled. Some vessels were more sluggish than others. Some vessels sported some interesting features, he wasn't too sure where the Jenny had it but he knew he could fly the thing, and now that he had a chance to look over the controls he was ready. He settled back into the seat looking out the forward view port. It would be a while before he saw this sight again.

Ellie
The Mark

Post by Ellie »

Graham & Ellie wrote:Joint post by Graham and Ellie

“What are you doing here Ian?”

Under Ellie’s questioning eyes, Graham searched for the right words. Finally he just said, “You know why I’m here El, I’m here for you.” He searched her face for some sign of what she might be thinking.

Ellie shook her head. Finding him waiting for her on Greenleaf was something she never would have expected. It had been many years since she had last seen him. “Why now? How did you even know I was going to be on Greenleaf?”

“Charlotte wrote to me. She told me about your visit. She said you didn’t know she had called off the wedding. And she told me the name of your ship. It wasn’t hard to find you from there,” he explained with a small shrug. “El, you were gone that morning without even saying anything to me. Next thing I know, you’ve fled the gorram planet. Your folks didn’t even know where you were for about six weeks!”

She looked down at the floor panel, “They left you the money for medical school, didn’t they?” When her parents had passed, she had been unable to get back for the funeral and so forth, being tied up in the war and all. But they had left her their property and a decent amount of money to get by on until she took up work as a sheriff. Ian was gone by then, she didn’t know where and hadn’t troubled herself by looking.

He nodded. “Your Pa, he was worried you would be hurt by that so he didn’t want anyone to tell you. He was proud of you, you know that?”

“Yeah, I know. And I don’t mind they gave you that money. It’s only fitting, you were like a son to them.” If ever that was a true of someone, it was true of Ian and her parents. They found him huddled in the school house trying to stay warm when he first get dumped on Whitefall. Her parents’ hearts were always bigger than anyone else’s she knew of, so it only made sense they would take him in, practically raise him. “And you were there when they… when I… when they needed someone,” she tried to find the words, but failed completely.

Graham felt a surge of compassion, it clearly hurt her to think of her parents’ deaths when she couldn’t be there. He stepped forward and placed a hand on her shoulder, “It’s not your fault. You know how they felt about injustice, they believed in what you were doing.”

Ellie shrugged his hand off her shoulder and put a hand up in front of her to indicate she wanted him to step back. She asked flatly, “What were you hoping would happen here Ian? That you would come find me and whisk me off to settle down on whatever planet you’re living on now? I’ve never been like Charlie, I'm not the type to have kids and cook dinner and the like. You don’t even know me anymore, I’m not the same person who left you on Whitefall.”

He stood there for a long moment. What did he think was going to happen? He hadn’t gotten that far, he just knew he had to find her, had to talk to her. Now that he was standing here with her in front of him, he knew she was right. It wasn’t right or fair of him to think she would drop everything to be with him. And the earlier conversation with Low made it clear she had seen more than he could ever imagine. Finally he said, “Your crew needs a doctor. Sign me up.”

Confusion swept over her face, “Are you addled in the brainpan? You’ve got a practice somewhere, a home and a life. And it won’t change anything. What’s done is done.” Why did Ian Graham have to show up on Greenleaf? This was just a needless complication and a nuisance.

“You said I don’t know you anymore, I want to get to know you. I’ll come on as ship’s doctor. You can pay me whenever the crew uses my services, otherwise I’ll pay my own way.” His expression showed that he was dead serious about this.

It may have been many years since she had last seen his face, but she recognized the expression. It was the exact same one he had the night her parents brought him home, they talked about finding his parents, getting him back home. He had made it very clear he would run away from them if they tried to take him back. He had always been stubborn. Unfortunately, he was also right, the crew did need a doctor. This situation with Jane illustrated it very clearly. “Ok, I can accept that agreement, on one condition. We are crewmates. Don’t expect it to ever be anything else.”

He nodded without saying anything. If you had told him two weeks ago he would be giving up everything he had to become a ship’s doctor on a freight runner, well he would have laughed up a storm. Now it was the only thing that made any sense to him.

“I’ve got things to tend to, we’ll be needing to do something with Jane’s body… I suppose you can have these quarters. If you have any bags left in town I recommend you get them brought here as soon as you can, we’re leaving soon,” so saying, she turned and left him alone in the passenger cabin. Once on the staircase, she stopped and stood for a moment, just trying to get a handle on everything. How did everything change so fast? Twenty four hours ago she was heading to make a standard delivery and now her pilot was dead, her war buddy was replacing said pilot, and Ian was part of her crew. It had been a very eventful day.

As Graham watched her go he thought, “I won’t expect anything, but you can’t keep me from hoping.”

Ellie
The Mark

Post by Ellie »

Low wrote:Location: Jenny Wren, Bridge

Low stood back up from the flight controls console and strolled towards the front of the bridge, looking out the windows out over the bustle of the space port. It wasn't exactly busy but there were people still moving around. He shook his head, they had no idea how terrible life could be. Most of them had not lifted a finger in violence, some did far too often. He suddenly pondered if perhaps he had made it into the latter category. Had he exerted himself too much by way of violence over the years. Having lived through a war, and worked mostly in security ever since having left prison. He had a nice long list of dead bodies in his wake. He leaned against the windows watching the people, even the few of them that there were. "Lucky bastards." he mumbled to himself. Part of him was anxious to get off this rock, but his usual attitude towards the slow and easy road gave him the patience to wait. He fished into one of his pockets and pulled out a nutrient bar, and began eating it. Watching the world outside the ship with mild curiosity.

Ellie
The Mark

Post by Ellie »

Kitsune wrote:Location: Jane's Quarters.

Having finished up what he was doing Kitsune left Jane's quarters. Once out in the hall he heard a masculine voice coming from the cockpit. He turned and looked to see the side of the man from the Galley. The captain said she would do introduction but Kitsune decided he might as well do his own. To him this guy seemed interesting. Haggard and Grizzled yet he had this way about him that wasn't so off-putting as one with those characteristics usually are. As he stepped into the cockpit Kitsune saw the man take a bite of a food stuff bar. He almost horked in his mouth as the memory of the taste entered his mind. you eat those when your low on food not cause your hungry. He began to shake his head as if to shake the nasty flavor from his mouth.

"Please don't tell me you enjoy those" Kitsune spoke to the man

He in turn just shrugged his gaze remaining transfixed on the transpiring's of the world outside.

"Names Chris" Offering him a hand

"Liam" the man replied turning and shaking Kits hand "But folks call me Low"

"Nice to meet you partner, now come on let me get you something to eradicate that taste from your mouth." turning he lead the man back to the galley.

Entering the galley Kitsune say Fiona still there siting comfortably on one of the galley couches a glass of water in her hands, arching her back forward and staring at the floor.

As Kitsune approached the bar he pointed with an open palm to the man to have a seat on one of the stools. Moving behind the counter Kitsune saw a glass in the sink, by the smell it contained one of his cooking liquors, a dirty earth blend of rum called Nanaki's Potion. Potent but more suited for mixed drinks or cooking, yet someone did it strait. He realized it had to be Low. Reaching beneath the counter Kitsune brought forth a black and gold bottle with a colorful label.

Uncorking it he poured Low a new glass, thru in a split red pepper and set it in front of him. "you have to try that with some of these desserts I made". Kitsune universally known for his massive sweet tooth opened the ice box and pulled out pre-plated dessert trays. He always kept a small stack in the icebox. On the plates were two chocolate truffles and a small slice of Lemon Curd Italiano Semifreddo. Kitsune knew that Chocolates can bring out the distinctive characteristics of the 1000 needles tequila. The first truffle was a spicy Savannah flavored with honey, cayenne, apello chili, white pepper, and hot Hungarian paprika topped with a chili mango. It packed quite a punch, but was delicious and contrasted beautifully by making the tequila burst with fruitiness. The other truffle, had a Morella cherry aged in French brandy, with white pepper and a rich dark chocolate ganache. The sweetness of the truffle combined with the smooth fruitiness of the Tequila truly made for an elegant dessert course. Finally the Semifreddo was a classic Italian dessert which unique lemony taste paired it well with any good beverage.

Kitsune set one of the plated in front of Low, spinning a fork in his free hand and stabbing the Semifreddo once the plate hit the counter. "bon appetite".

Low looked at Kitsune a little funny but decided to give it a shot.

While that was going on Kitsune picked up another plate and fork and headed over to Miss Fiona.. "Here you go Ma'am, I hope this will help" offering her the tray.

Tag: Fiona and Low
Ellie
The Mark

Post by Ellie »

Low wrote:Location: Galley

"Please don't tell me you enjoy those" Kitsune spoke to the man

He in turn just shrugged his gaze remaining transfixed on the transpiring of the world outside. "Yeah, guess it became a bad habit from the war. You kind of get used to living off the things, when your staring anything tastes amazing, even these.."

"Names Chris" Offering him a hand

"Liam" the man replied turning and shaking Kits hand "But folks call me Low" he regarded the lanky man standing in front of him. He seemed thin to the average eye but Low could see his corded muscles and knew the man was deceptively athletic and muscular.

"Nice to meet you partner, now come on let me get you something to eradicate that taste from your mouth." turning he lead the man back to the galley.

Low stole one more glance outside and turned and headed aft towards the galley following the man. His gate told him the rest, he was sly about it but his steps were measured. A man who when needed could move and potential deal damage swiftly and perhaps even scarily. Liam nodded to himself admiring that ability. He preferred to shoot and then ask questions later. He found himself sliding onto a seat, and before he could start asking a question the man began to present him with a variety of things. First some sort of liqueur, by the smell when it was uncorked it was Tequila.

"You have to try that with some of these desserts I made" he said producing a couple of plates from the freeze. He began to describe them and Low suddenly found his mouth was watering. He didn't much care for incredibly spicy things but this was sounding intriguing. "bon appetite". he said, then took the second plate to the weary young lady still sitting at the table. He was happy that she was at least feeling better. It always tugged at his heartstrings when a child was ill, injured, or worse.

He popped spicy Savannah flavored truffle in his mouth and took a swallow from the glass and let the two mingle in his mouth as he chewed the truffle, it was like a savory explosion in his mouth as the two mixed together. He swallowed just as the spice hit him, he gasped. "Hot damn." he exclaimed blowing out. "Good lord..." he fanned his face. "That..." he swallowed hard. "That is some good stuff. And it's a kick in the teeth!" he said, laughing. He was sweating now. "Where did you learn to cook stuff like this? And on a ship of all places?" he popped the other truffle and took another swallow from the glass and let the two mingle and was greeted the same.

TAG: Kitsune & Fiona
Ellie
The Mark

Post by Ellie »

Graham wrote:Location: Jenny Wren, Passenger Cabin

Graham turned a slow circle, taking in his new quarters. It was plain, there was a single occupant bed with a simple blanket, sheet and pillow. A small, worn desk bolted to the floor. Paired with it was an equally worn wooden chair. Next to it was a metal box affixed to the wall with a bar that appeared to be a handle, which Graham pulled to discover folded down and revealed a very small sink. He knew water was a precious commodity on a ship, so he knew to use this sparingly. Finally, there was a metal closet structure affixed to the wall. No dresser, or other place to keep belongings. Good thing he had only packed his medical bag and a single duffel of clothes and belongings. The whole thing gave him an intense feeling of claustrophobia. Probably more because he had just thrown his entire life's work away to live in this tiny room than due to the size of the place. Luckily, he wouldn't need to spend every waking moment in this cabin. Carefully unpacking his clothes, he hung them neatly in the closet. He placed a few personal items in the drawers and set a framed photo on the desk. Then he tucked the duffel bag away and picked up the medical bag. Now it was time to go see his new infirmary.

He had noticed it as he went looking for Ellie earlier, just off the cargo hold. Heading down the small corridor, e passed by the other passenger cabins until he reached the spiral stairs. Passing these as well he went left and through the door into the cargo hold, then walked along the back side of the hold until he reached the opposite side of the ship and found the door to the infirmary. The door resisted a bit as he tried to slide it open, clearly it didn't get much use so far. The air felt stagnant, probably from lack of circulation since the door was usually kept closed. The room was fairly bare, with a thick layer of dust coating every surface. Two beds were spaced in the center of the room and the outer walls were lined with cupboards, shelves, and counters. A couple roll away carts were tucked under a counter. He perused the various cupboards and shelves, pulling open drawers and just generally taking inventory of what kind of supplies they had. It wasn't much in the way of medicines. Not surprising since medicine was generally expensive. But basic supplies were well stocked. Nothing fancy as far as medical tools, but the same kind of equipment he had been accustomed to working with back home. He hadn't been living on some well to do core planet, he was a family practitioner on a border world. He could definitely make do with what was here and what he had in his bag. He dropped his bag on the counter and located some rags and a wash basin, which he filled with hot water. Rolling up his sleeves he started scrubbing the entire place down. He wanted it sterile before he ever had to work in it.

Ellie
The Mark

Post by Ellie »

Ellie wrote:Location: Spiral Staircase

As she stood there collecting her thoughts, a delicious smell floated down to her. Taking a deep breath, she went on upstairs and came into the galley to find Kitsune cooking and Low taste testing. She stood at the top of the stairs and listened to their friendly conversation as they got to know each other. She smiled to herself. It was nice having Low here, and even Kitsune was growing on her. He was certainly helpful in a pinch, and no questions asked. Even little Fiona, giving them a scare earlier had pulled them together. Yeah, for the first time since she set out on Jenny Wren, it was starting to feel like a real crew. Stepping lightly across the room she took a seat at the counter, "What's cooking Kit?"

Insert interaction here Kitsune

"I see you guys have met then?" She eyed the two of them, wondering how they would work together. They were very different personalities, but somehow she thought they might hit it off. "Guess I should let you guys know, the Doctor and I have come to agreement. He's going to be joining our crew as well."

Tag: Low, Kitsune, Fiona
Ellie
The Mark

Post by Ellie »

Low wrote:Location: Galley

"I see you guys have met then?" She eyed the two of them, wondering how they would work together. They were very different personalities, but somehow she thought they might hit it off. "Guess I should let you guys know, the Doctor and I have come to agreement. He's going to be joining our crew as well."

Low glanced over at Ellie as she saddled up to the bar. He offered a warm smile. "That's good, things being what they are a doctor couldn't hurt." he nodded towards Kitsune. "Cookie here seems to be the impressive sort with the kitchenware. I think were quickly becoming friends to say the least." he took the last swallow from the glass he was still admiring in his hand. "He sure knows how to pair things. I can see why you keep him around, next to his other hidden talents no doubt." he slowly looked over his shoulder regarding Fiona. "What's her story? She seem's kind of out of place on a Ship." he said before looking back at Kitsune as he went about his culinary wizardry.

Tag: Ellie, Kitsune, Fiona
Ellie
The Mark

Post by Ellie »

Kitsune wrote:LOCATION: GALLEY

"Where did you learn to cook stuff like this? And on a ship of all places?" Low said downing the second truffle.

Kitsune placed the tray next to Fiona and returned to the bar "Well back in the day I had a lot of time sitting around watching things like doors and alleys and the only thing constantly present no matter the time of day was the Galactic Food Network. On top of that when I had time off I found it very Relaxing." Kitsune came back to the counter. "As for the on the ship, well a few weeks back we visited a Core world and I decided to look into a better way then few weeks out having only canned or dried goods to rely on. So I visited a junk yard and found some really high quality stuff....well you know how the rich just pitch stuff cause its out of fashion or needed minor repairs.. I found a large refrigeration unit capable of holding large quantities of fruits and vegetables and a deep freezer for some meats and all both them needed was a little maintenance. I also found a liquid nitrogen dispenser , a vat fryer and a dehydrator. So I just had Timmy our ships resident tinkerer fix them up and here we are. With the ability to keep stuff in the cargo bay longer I was able to expand our meal selections....and seeing how I have no real function on this ship I spend my days creating things for the crew." His mind drifted to thinking of serving beautiful ladies his creations and their reactions, like falling for him, causing him to grin and get this pervy look on his face. and as if on cue.....

((*INSERTED CONVERSATION IN ELLIES POST*))
"whats cooking Kit." Ellie chimed in

Sweeping up a tray of rice balls and sushi as he began to spin his way over to Ellie. "Ellie-swan!!" as he reached her he spun to a halt on one knee and removed one of the refrigerated lids revealing the food inside.

"Thank you Kit" she said picking up a Rice ball and walking over to were Low was sitting.

Shutting the Lid kit gain his composure again and walked back behind the counter.
((*END INSERT*))

Low glanced over at Ellie as she saddled up to the bar. He offered a warm smile. "That's good, things being what they are a doctor couldn't hurt." he nodded towards Kitsune. "Cookie here seems to be the impressive sort with the kitchenware. I think were quickly becoming friends to say the least." he took the last swallow from the glass he was still admiring in his hand. "He sure knows how to pair things. I can see why you keep him around, next to his other hidden talents no doubt." he slowly looked over his shoulder regarding Fiona. "What's her story? She seems kind of out of place on a Ship." he said

While Low and Ellie talked Kitsune decided to replenish the two dessert trays he had just pulled, Not that he would likely run out sugary confections anytime soon. He still had that whole tub of candy he bought from the Old-timer. What to make he thought. "Perhaps a marbled white chocolate cheese cake with clotted cream fudge drizzle. Or perhaps a Hazelnut-and-Chocolate Meringue Cake. No wait a peanut butter chocolate tart......." then it hit him " Nectarine Pavlovas!! surely such a delicious rose like dish for such a beautiful rose" pounding one fist into the palm of the other. He begins his prep work.

Ellie
The Mark

Post by Ellie »

Fiona wrote:Fiona got up, processors still off, and stumbled out of the general area of everyone else, only a bit drunkenly. She still wasn't used to the ship's movements and she doubted she'd ever be fully comfortable with it. Her head was throbbing and she felt distinctly untethered.

She wandered off down the hallway and went to the cabin she'd been assigned. She closed the door behind her and, judging the room to be as secure as it possibly could be, she knelt and took out the artist's portfolio from beneath the bed. She set it on the bed and pulled the blanket up over it. Then, making herself as small as she could be, she curled up on the end of the bed and completely removed her processors and the control box. She dumped them on the floor, completely ignorant of their cost and delicacy as she normally would be, and let her fingers rest on the bag containing the priceless book she'd risked everything to steal.

Fiona didn't want to cry, but her body was not in the habit of listening to her (or, really, anything). She cried anyway.
Ellie
The Mark

Post by Ellie »

Kitsune wrote:Location: Galley

As Kitsune removed his first item, a whipping bowl, he noticed out of the corner of his eye the young man Timmy leaving the engine room with an empty dolly that he was taking back to the cargo bay. "That's it" kit thought putting the bowl down and walking off after Timmy.

Timmy having been contemplating things as he moved, walking oblivious to the others, smelled something sweet right next to him. He quickly snatched up the Lemon Curd Italiano Semifreddo from the plate left on the couch for Fiona and took a bite. "Fancy core world Fru Fru." talking with the food in his mouth, he continued walking.

"Mind if I use that Timmy sir?" he asked Timmy.

Timmy stopped, turned, still chewing some of the dessert, and shrugged an "I guess so" as he handed the dolly over to kit before continuing on. mumbling something about not sir

"Thank you kindly" kit spoke. This is what he needed to get Jane down to the cargo bay with out creating a huge scene.

a short while later Kitsune had loaded the casket up and delivered it to the cargo bay were he saw Timmy heading into the dorm section, most likely to use the spiral stairs back to his office. Kitsune headed that way him self as it came up into the galley anyway.

Timmy having reached the spiral stair case stopped walking around in contemplation at the sight of movement between the stairs. There was someone in the Infirmary. Timmy squatted down and looked thru the stairs. He saw a man he didn't recognize. Timmy began sizing him up. He was well dressed, groomed with nice hair, clean but then Timmy saw something that didn't sit well for just a brief moment. He continued to sit there seeming to struggle with his assessments.

Just then Kitsune came in the door behind him and noticed Timmy crouched on the stairs. He thought it be best to leave him be he obviously was thinking of something. So Kitsune slide past Timmy and started to ascend the stairs when he felt a tug at his pant leg. Looking down he saw Timmy holding his leg with one hand, his other hands thumbnail in his mouth as if truly struggling with something. Then Timmy let go of him and pointed forward. Kitsune bent over to see what he was pointing at, seeing Graham in the infirmary. "Oh that's one of Ellies friends he's going to be the ships doctor." He continued on up the stairs, Timmy remained bit longer staring. He then returned to the task of cooking.

Ellie
The Mark

Post by Ellie »

Ellie wrote:Location: Galley

Low glanced over at Ellie as she saddled up to the bar. He offered a warm smile. "That's good, things being what they are a doctor couldn't hurt." he nodded towards Kitsune. "Cookie here seems to be the impressive sort with the kitchenware. I think were quickly becoming friends to say the least." he took the last swallow from the glass he was still admiring in his hand. "He sure knows how to pair things. I can see why you keep him around, next to his other hidden talents no doubt." he slowly looked over his shoulder regarding Fiona. "What's her story? She seems kind of out of place on a Ship." he said.

Ellie glanced over her shoulder at Fiona, who was getting up and leaving the room just as she looked over. "Don't rightly know to be honest. She came onboard back on Beaumonde, I believe. Seems skittish, probably a runaway. Other than that, I got no knowledge of her. Bit of a lost little lamb really. I seem to attract 'em." She grinned and gave him a wink. "Wait 'til you meet my mechanic. Kid's a real character, but I'm pretty fond of the boy. Sure does give me a lot of trouble if I don't keep an eye on him though." She chuckled at the memories, but there was a fondness in her eye as she talked about Timmy, it was the nearest to motherly Ellie had ever looked in her life, though she didn't realize that. "Top notch mechanic though, don't think I've met finer." Even as she said all this Timmy wandered through pushing a dolly, but stopped to snag the food Fiona had left behind. He went on without seeming to have even noticed their presence though. Kitsune followed Timmy and Ellie said to Low, "That was him, now you've seen my whole crew. What do you think?"

Tag: Low

Return to “Big Damn Heroes”