You're Gonna Miss Me (Chapter 4)

We aim to misbehave! Join the crew of Jenny Wren in this sim set within the Firefly Universe.
Ellie
The Mark
Posts in topic: 12

You're Gonna Miss Me (Chapter 4)

Post by Ellie »

ACTION
As Low sits in the cockpit a console screen crackles to life. The screens flickers and statics a bit until a woman's face appears. It is the woman Ellie and Teddy just did business with not so long ago. "McKee!" The woman glanced back over her shoulder, and when she looked back her face clearly showed concern. "Dammit Princess, your gorram crew stepped in it! Someone answer!"

Tag: Low

OOC: While we are opening a new chapter, please be sure to continue posting in the old chapter if you have anything left the wrap up. Once it's complete, that chapter will be closed.
LiamWhelan
Posts in topic: 22

Re: You're Gonna Miss Me (Chapter 4)

Post by LiamWhelan »

Liam sat leaning back in his chair, his thoughts on the star's outside and the teeming spaceport beyond. He blinked as he heard a burst of static and didn't think anything of it, closing his eyes and covering his face with his hat. Then it happened again, another burst of static from the communications system. His eye's fluttered open as he pulled the hat slowly away from his face. A woman's face slowly appeared from the static filled screen. He had not seen her before but she clearly had their communications system's number.

"McKee!" the voice called with urgency which pulled him to an upright position. He turned to face the communications system and stared at the woman on the screen. The look on her face was telling. He keyed the system up a bit higher. "Dammit Princess, your gorram crew stepped in it! Someone answer!"

He keyed the intercom system to life. "The Princess is currently out at the moment, but I can certainly take a message on your behalf and see that it's delivered." he said.

"Who the hell are you!" she said sharply, her voice conveying her increased annoyance.

He gave her a nod. "Liam, but my friends call me Low. You can call me LIam, seeing as were not much acquainted!" he said with a slight smile.

"So your the one they are after then, some men here roughing up people something fierce, I recon your about to have company coming your way!" she said jerking a finger over her should at the party of men who were aggressively questioning someone.

The smile slipped from his lips and was replaced by the look of impossibility, as Low came to realize who those men were. He had seen them before, coming after good men trying to do a job and make an honest living. "Gausu de!" he said under his breath. "How long?" he asked as panic slipped into his voice.

The woman took a quick glance behind her quickly. "Not long, gotta go!" she said before cutting the transmission as one of them seemed to take interest in her now and was approaching rather rapidly.

Low took a moment to ponder the situation and rubbed his head before slapping the hat on his thigh. "Gausu de!" he said much louder this time, he reached over and hit ships internal intercom. "Ellie, need you up here! We got trouble brew'n! Big trouble!" he said and closed the channel. He began pacing the small confine space in the cockpit waiting, he had hoped that they would have avoided them all together, or at least had a lot longer before they tracked him down. Obviously he had not given them enough credit. He could hear Ellie making her way towards the cockpit her urgent and determined foot falls getting closer and closer.

Ellie came thumping to a stop just inside the door, she looked him up and down and instantly knew something was wrong as he had that look. "What is it?"

He pointed to the image that was now frozen on the screen. "Miller & Lowrey". His face was a bit pale. "They sent redeemers!"

"Redeemers?" she asked.

He shook his head. "We need to leave..." he said dropping back into the pilots seat. "They are vicious contract killers, they will stop at nothing to bring a wayward soul to justice! Or at least what Justice the company is paying for anyhow." he glanced over the controls and system stats. "I'm sorry Ellie, didn't think it would be this soon, or these people coming after me, if I had known I would have steered clear." he glanced over at her, there was clearly panic and fear in his eyes. "We gotta go!"

TAG: Ellie
Ellie
The Mark

Post by Ellie »

"Ellie, need you up here! We got trouble brew'n! Big trouble!" With a glance at Fiona, Ellie hit the button for the comm, "I'm on my way," turning again so Fiona could get a clear view of her lips as she spoke she said, "You can rest here if you need, I've gotta go to the cockpit."

It took only a moment for Ellie to be in the cockpit and she was met with the sight of Low anxiously pacing the small space. She recognized the look he got when something was going terribly wrong, "What is it?"

He pointed to the image that was now frozen on the screen. "Miller & Lowrey". His face was a bit pale. "They sent redeemers!"

"Redeemers?" she asked.

He shook his head. "We need to leave..." he said dropping back into the pilots seat. "They are vicious contract killers, they will stop at nothing to bring a wayward soul to justice! Or at least what Justice the company is paying for anyhow." he glanced over the controls and system stats. "I'm sorry Ellie, didn't think it would be this soon, or these people coming after me, if I had known I would have steered clear." he glanced over at her, there was clearly panic and fear in his eyes. "We gotta go!"

As she stood there taking in the look on his face, a wild rush came over her and a giddy laugh slipped out. With a smirk she replied, "Let them come, we'll give them a run for their money. Last I checked, everyone was on board, so get us out of here. We haven't got a job at the moment, so take us somewhere we can get fuel and supplies, but somewhere low profile."

Ellie slapped his good shoulder lightly and said with a sparkle in her eye, Looks like we get to give someone hell together again, Old Man!"

She made for the corridor and called back over her shoulder, "I'm going to make sure everything is buttoned up downstairs, let the rest of the crew know we're leaving."

And with that she disappeared down the corridor, leaving Low to wonder about her reaction.

Tag: Low, & anyone else who should intercept her along the way
LiamWhelan

Post by LiamWhelan »

As she stood there taking in the look on his face, a wild rush came over her and a giddy laugh slipped out. With a smirk she replied, "Let them come, we'll give them a run for their money. Last I checked, everyone was on board, so get us out of here. We haven't got a job at the moment, so take us somewhere we can get fuel and supplies, but somewhere low profile."

Ellie slapped his good shoulder lightly and said with a sparkle in her eye, "Looks like we get to give someone hell together again, Old Man!"

She made for the corridor and called back over her shoulder, "I'm going to make sure everything is buttoned up downstairs, let the rest of the crew know we're leaving."

He blinked as she seemed to take that like a micrometeorite off a bow baffle plate. He opened his mouth to say something but she was already out the door and out of sight. At least she was taking it well and took the serious need to depart at heart. He turned back to the console, and pulled up the exterior camera's on the ship, and began warming the engines as he dropped into his chair.

He took a moment and pulled the headset on that was dangling off a bracket at the top of one of the consoles nearby. He cleared his throat and depressed the key. "Ladies and gentifolk, this is your pilot speaking, where getting the hell out of dodge and in a triple quick like hurry so stow yer gear and get ready for a burn!" he keyed the communications system back off.

He began queuing up the Navigational system and looking at the local system, then his eyes fell on the fuel gauge. They didn't have much since they had only been here less than a day they had not taken the time to replenish stocks and fuel. He glanced at the various planets, moons, and stations in the Red Sun belt and shook his head a little dismayed. "Harvest it is!" he said under his breath starting to set the course.

Reaching over he keyed the communications channel for the dock master. "Control this is the Jenny Wren, requesting urgent departure!" he said.

There was a spike in static for a second and then a voice called back. "Standby Jenny Wren." the man's voice was rushed.

He hit the transmit button again. "Repeat, Urgent Departure requested. I'm afraid this cannot wait!" he repeated with a bit more edge.

"Stand by Jen... " his voice suddenly cut off in a gurgle. Someone was handling the microphone heavy handed as it sounded as if someone was running sand paper across it. Then a new voice came through, very loud, and very clear.

"Low, is that you?"

His breath caught in his throat as he went to respond, but nothing came out.

"You ol' rascal that is you over there isn't it!" He said, his voice was excited. "I got order Low. Your coming with us back to the boss. He want's words with ya!" there was a round of laughter form several other voices in the background.

Low looked around the cockpit, it wasn't like him to feel panic, but he knew this man's reputation. His eyes immediately found the ships air tight reading and saw just as they went red to green. His hand jammed the docking clamp and mooring release with such force the thing cracked under the pressure, and he felt the ship immediately lurch as it came free of the grasp of the station.

"Daryl.." Low said as he turned back and gripped the flight yolk in both hands.

"Yeah low? Oh Low, why did you go and do that!" he said, his tone going from entertainment to annoyance int he same breath.

"Go to hell!" Low said, and jammed the throttle forward, and the ship lurched ahead surprising even him, he rolled the ship so quickly his stomach lurched. "You tell the boss the same!" he brought the vessel around and aligned it with the first leg of the three leg course that would take them to Harvest, they wouldn't get much of a head start but enough for them to figure things out, fuel included.

"You do this and our next meeting wont be so friendly!" the voice called, he could hear the air whistle through clenched teeth.

Low reached over and pushed the other throttle up giving them a good twenty second burn of the main drive, the vessel sped easily along, and with a flick of a finger cut off the long stream of explicit that came pouring over the communications system. Low hated running, but it wasn't time to end things with those people. Soon, but not now. He watched as the glow of the burn died out. It would be a while before the second leg, until then he throttled all the engines back to idle to help conserve fuel, and set the autopilot and leaned back in the chair. He had brought trouble to the Jenny, and he was going to do his best to keep that from catching up to them until they were ready.

TAG-O-liciuos to whomever... 8-)
Ellie
The Mark

Post by Ellie »

Location: Jenny Wren, moving through the upper deck en route to the cargo hold on the lower deck.

Ellie came out of the corridor from the cockpit and quickly crossed the galley and down the short hall to the open door of the engine room. She peeked in and saw the sleeping form of who she assumed was Timmy in a hammock strung up inside. He barely ever even slept in his actual quarters, that engine room was his life and that hammock saw him in it more than his bed. [color=#*8000BF]"Timmy!"[/color] She banged on the metal frame of the doorway, sending a resounding noise into the small engine room. "We're heading out, be ready for a hard burn!" She didn't wait for his response, instead she took to the spiral staircase and bounded down the stairs two at a time, miraculously not falling on her face in the process. She hit the grating at the bottom and as she came out of the door she nearly ran over Graham. Pulling up short she exclaimed, "Ian! Sorry, wasn't expecting you there. We're about to go for hard burn to get out of here, but listen Fiona is up in my quarters. Can you check in on her? I think her processors are giving her problems again."

Before Graham could even respond she darted around him and out into the cargo hold. The doors were closed, good. Her eyes played across the large space of the cargo hold, most things were already tied down. However she noticed some supplies on the far side of the room that they had brought on board during their stop at the station that were still loose. In no time she had closed the space between her and the supplies and was lashing them down. Even as her fingers worked the straps she could feel Low firing up the engine. From the sound of it, this was not an easy lift off. But if there was anyone she trusted her ship with it was Low.

She hit the nearby comm panel button with force, "Have we got some space between us and that station yet Low?"

Tag: Graham, Low
Dr. Graham
Posts in topic: 7

Post by Dr. Graham »

Low's voice crackled over the ships comm and Graham glanced up from the ledger of supplies he was updating with the batch he had picked up at the station, "Ladies and gentifolk, this is your pilot speaking, where getting the hell out of dodge and in a triple quick like hurry so stow yer gear and get ready for a burn!" He didn't like the tone of that announcement, and thought perhaps he should find out what was going on. Flipping the book shut he stowed it into a drawer before heading out of the medical bay and over towards the door into the spiral staircase. Just as he reached it, Ellie came barrelling out the door and he stumbled backwards in an effort not to get mowed down.

"Ian! Sorry, wasn't expecting you there. We're about to go for hard burn to get out of here, but listen Fiona is up in my quarters. Can you check in on her? I think her processors are giving her problems again."

He blinked and before he couldn't even respond she was running off across the cargo hold. "Well then..." he said to himself as he headed up the stairs. Looked like he had a little patient to check in on. At least he was making himself useful and not just getting in Ellie's way. That was a step in the right direction. He found his way to Ellie's quarters and stepped inside. As he stepped in the first thing he saw was a curtain pulled back to reveal a wall of books and he was struck with how very like Ellie that was. He forced his focus on Fiona. A quick glance at her processor box told him she currently had them off. So he spoke in her full view so she could read his lips, "I hear you're having some problems with your processors again?"

Tag: Fiona
LiamWhelan

Post by LiamWhelan »

Low nearly jumped out of his boots when Ellie's voice suddenly called out over the intercom. "We got some space between us and that Station yet Low?"

He glanced over at the sensor board showing local traffic, and the large blip that was very quickly receding in their aft. For a moment, and only for a moment he was certain he saw another blip depart along the same path. But he shook his head when it didn't show up gaining. He reached over and flipped the switch on the communication center. "Yup, tis in our baffles now. Going to ride this course for a bit and do a course adjustment and another quick burn to try and throw off any pursuit if any!" there was a ting of relief in his voice.

He waited to see if she was going to reply, but he figure she might be busy settling the crew and accounting for anything that might have broke during the sudden departure.

He flipped the switch and settled back into the chair, his eyes going back to the sensor screen. "Need to see about getting a longer range sensing system." he muttered. He stood abruptly and glanced at the timer on the navigation console which told him how long they had to the next turn and burn. He nodded, and headed aft toward the galley, he needed to put something in his stomach to help calm his nerves, mattered not if it was food or drink at this point. Anything would do.
Kitsune
Posts in topic: 24

Post by Kitsune »

Chris began prepping tonight's meal. Taking out the ingredients, a few small pheasants, (Quail) Cabbage, Rice, eggs, Onions, Canned Ground Chicken, Salt, Black Pepper, Butter, a carton of Cream, a bottle of Milk, Sugar, Honey, Soy Sauce, a bottle of Red Wine, a bottle of Madeira Wine and a carton of veal stock.

He starts by preparing a risotto. using chopped onions, rice, cream, veal stock, egg, (made extra creamy by milk and butter), then slowing adding in ground chicken. He then begins to boil the cabbage in saltwater till its malleable. while it boiled he poaches some eggs too place on the side of the dish. on the back heater he had a sauce going of the wines honey, soy sauce and some sugar.

once all the items were ready, Chris placed the risotto inside the cabbage leafs as a sort of container and placed the whole package inside the quail. He then began to sear the quail in oil to make the skin crispy before he baked it.

They had just left port so everyone still doing their own thing for right now, so gathering up to eat probably was not going to be possible. "Oh well" he thought but he could still bring these dishes to them.

"Hope I get all the dishes back tonight, I would hate to be a few plates and utensils short for tomorrow." pulling out plates, sharp knives and forks enough for the crew. He placed on egg and risotto stuffed quail and two poached eggs on each place and a light coating of the sauce over top. "Now where is everyone."

He knew where Low was common since he was in the cockpit.

Grabbing one plate and utensils he headed to the cockpit.

Last edited by Kitsune on Sat Sep 09, 2017 9:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LiamWhelan

Post by LiamWhelan »

Low stepped out of the cockpit and was heading on towards the galley when his nose met something scrumptious. The smell coming from the Galley was divinely and familiar. He stepped through the doors of the cock pit slowly allowing the smell to guide him down the short way to the Galley. He stopped abruptly nearly running into Kitsune as he was making his way forward with a plate and utensil. "That is a mighty fine aroma you've got comin'n from that Kitchen, and that by god looks amazing." he said pointing to the plate.

Kitsune held it out to him. "Damn right it is!" he said.

"Thank ya kindly." Low said taking the plate in both hands with a sort of reverence. He held the plate aloft so that he could put eyes full on it, his mouth watered in anticipation. "Where in the verse did you come up with this, its almost too good to be true. You spike'n the hooch on this thing?" he asked eyeing the man playfully.

Kitsune grinned and nodded. "Damn, ya got me!" he clinched his chest in mocking shock.

Low smiled, and nodded. "Thank ya kindly again, this should be a treat. Need to get back to the stick though, got a turn and burn coming up soon. But I'm sure going to enjoy this, nice and slow!" he said as he turned.

Kitsune followed. "Where are we heading?" he asked.

Low stepped back into the cockpit, and dropped gently into his seat setting the plate down on an unoccupied space on the console. "Very brief stop at Harvest, we'll figure out where were going from their. Got some people with some special interest's after us so were needing to loose them but got no fuel. And we can take a breath and stock up for the next leg of the journey. I reckon you'd be able to find some things to augment the ships stores on Harvest, supposed to be one of those shiny agricultural communities." Low stopped long enough to peel a fork full of quail and the risotto into his mouth. He began to chew and was met with an explosion of flavor, he closed his eyes savoring the moment. "That's good. Real good!"
SokothQultuq
Henchman
Posts in topic: 1

Post by SokothQultuq »

After unceremoniously devouring the mean that Kitsune had produced he returned to the bridge dropping back into the chair, he noted that it was just about the right time as the timer was just ticking down to zero when he landed back in the chair. He manipulated the controls bringing the thruster's online and reorienting the vehicle for its next burn. Grabbing a hold of the microphone off the intercom unit he keyed it on. "Standby for a burn!" he said, spooling up the primary drive.

He watches the stars outside spinning for a moment and then glanced down at the navigational display, waited for the system to align then keyed the intercom again. "Here we go!" he said, and throttled up. He felt the subtle pressure of acceleration as the ship fought its current movement to change direction. He goosed the thrusters a bit keeping them on target. They would have one more course correction in about two hours. Hopefully it was enough to throw off their pursuers. He keyed the intercom once more. "Burn complete!" he said and pulled the throttle to idle. "About another two hours and we'll be doing one more course correction and then on to the planet Harvest." he nodded to himself and returned the microphone to its home on the intercom.

He took a breath while pulling a small flask from his pocket watching the stars speed by outside. He blinked his eyes as something caught his attention. Was only a split second but he was certain it was a body careening through space. He tensed up as there was a sudden and unmistakable thump somewhere from deep within the ship, and he opened his mouth to say something but blinked it away popping the top on his flask, he took a sniff of the contents and it was like a switch went off in his head. The smell of booze, ozone and gun powder filled his nose.

Some time ago...

"Damn it low, your too low I can't hit any of those alliance bastards!" Louie his recently provided gunner called back to him. "Too fast!"

"I go any slower were gonna die!" Low said as he tossed the ship into a roll to the right, and the world spun around them. It was just in time as several angry streams of high speed anti-aircraft fire passed through the space they had just been occupying. "You wanna live, you learn to shoot on the fly!"

A grin came to Lows lips as he could hear Louie trying very hard not to loose his lunch, he pulled the craft's nose up. "Another pass!" he said and followed the loops through by flipping the craft upright at the end of the long roll. "Starboard side." he sad and pulled up to bring the craft over a ridge as soon as they crested it he leveled and pulled a hard right turn. He could hear the little ship's cannons chugging away as the circled above the raging battle below.

"Yeah! Eat it!" Louie cried out as he held the trigger down.

"Pulling out!" Low said, then flipped the craft to roll away from the scene to port. Weapons fire littered the landscape down below and in the air, the occasional hit jostled the craft as the glided out of the area over another ridge. "Let me know when you've cooled and are ready for another pass."

"Shit!" Louie called. "We've got company!" he shouted.

Low's head spun around and he caught sight of the Alliance craft dropping out of the clouds behind them. It was angled right towards them, they were clearly here to clear them out and regain air superiority. "I see him!"

"We can't take that thing, get us out of here!" Louie yelled.

Low grinned, and snapped the craft up on its port wing and pulled back hard bringing it into a loop back towards the craft and the battlefield. "Yeah we can!"

"Your crazy, no wonder no one wants to fly with you!" Louie's grip tightened on the weapons controls as they came around. "Whats the plan!"

"Chicken!" Low said, you could hear the grin on his face. "Face your weapons aft!" he said.

"What?" Louie cried out turning and staring back at him incredulously. "No!"

"Do it or we die!" Low snapped. "As soon as we pass him open fire!" he said and he continued to aim for the incoming craft, he pushed the throttle full on, and then hammered a thumb into the afterburner pushing the craft to the point it was shaking violently. "Hang on!"

The oncoming craft clearly saw what was happening and likewise sped up, its weapons opened up chugging away.

Low rocked the small ship to the side and continued bouncing it around the incoming stream of weapons fire, there was the occasional tug on the craft as they took a direct hit or a glancing blow. "Get ready!" They were close enough Low could the see the alliance pilots eyes as they grew, and the smile spread knowing that his own larger craft with more mass would literally cleave through the old space-frame he was flying. He watched and grinned as the other pilot saw him rock his throttle full forward, slammed the vessels air break and flaps on full, spinning the craft into a corkscrew and slipping just under them but not before one round passed through the cockpit shattering the air tight atmosphere. "NOW!" he hollered.

Louie jammed his fingers down on the triggers and the small quad auto cannon began chewing into the rear of the Alliance craft.

Low straightened out and looked back watching the quad cannon rip into hull and engine housing sending the other vessel careening into the landscape below. As he turned back to see what was in front of him he had enough frame of mind to grab the eject handle between his legs, and pull sending both him an Louie free of the craft just as a surface to air missile was about to hit. He felt the shockwave and heat from the explosion and was thankful for the ejection seat between him and it for a long moment, almost an eternity he was airborne then gravity happened. The instant tug and pull of gravity, the ejection seat released and flew away and his chute deployed. It was a violent push, pull that nearly sent him into darkness but he shoot it away.

Low looked all around and couldn't find louie's chute, then suddenly just as he was sinking below the hills and heading feet first into the raging battle below he saw a chute in the distance and felt instant relief, he didn't get one killed. Glancing all around he quickly took stock of the situation, and knew that he was going to be on the ground very soon. He pulled his pistol and racked the slide holding it ready letting go of the guide lines for his chute, he was most certainly landing in the thick of it. As soon as his feet hit the ground he absorbed the shock of impact by rolling with gravity allowing his whole body to take the shock of the landing as soon as he stopped his roll he scrambled to his feet nearly taking a bullet for his efforts. He pulled the release for the chute and when they didn't give he ducked behind some cover and began cutting away the lines. He looked up and found a barrel pointing down at him as he cut the last guide line.

"Scum!" a voice said, but the face was shrouded by the sun in his eyes. What he did catch was the shock when there was a sudden tug on the mans head and he fell over.

Low grimaced expecting the dead man to flinch and pull the trigger but he didn't. Glancing to his right where he was certain the shot came from all he could see was the glint of a scope in the distance to which he gave a thumbs up and mouthed 'thank you' before bolting from that position back towards his own lines. As his legs pumped all he could think was that was the last time he was going to fly one of those rust buckets into combat.

And back to the here and now...

Low jolted awake, glancing around the cockpit. He was confused, and smelled like liqueur, gun powder and ozone. "What the hell!" He glanced down at the timer on the navigational board and ran a hand down his face then put the cap back on his flask and returned it to his pocket.

(Sorry I was board at work... and flashbacks are fun!)
Ellie
The Mark

Post by Ellie »

Ellie made the rounds of the cargo hold, double checking that nothing was unsecured as a result of the rough take off. Finally satisfied all was well, she headed back upstairs, humming to herself. She always loved the feel of the ship in motion. Something about the vibration from the engine in the plating under her feet, it was soothing. Maybe it was just the knowledge that she was still on the move, still a step ahead. Ahead of who, it didn't matter. As she crossed the galley she could smell something tasty. Clearly Kitsune has been at work, but she didn't see him. She wasn't sure where he was currently. Moving along, she passed into the corridor and made her way up to the cockpit. She ducked as she entered the low doorway. Low was sitting in the pilot's seat, so she dropped into the co-pilot seat at an angle, slinging her legs over the arm of the seat and spinning slightly.

"Nice flyin' Old Man. Looks like you haven't lost your touch."

She turned her gaze out to the stars and a soft smile settled on her lips, "Best site in the 'verse. You know, I've seen some nice border planets but I've never ventured onto the central planets. I can't imagine they can compare to the freedom of the stars."

Ellie pushed her red curls back from her face, still spinning back and forth slightly in her seat. "So, Harvest huh? Hopefully we can pick up some fuel and supplies at a decent cost. We got paid on our last job there at the station, which reminds me..." Digging into the pocket of her pants she pulled out some credits and held them out to him, "Your cut."

[mention]LiamWhelan[/mention]

OOC: I realized the other day we can use the at mention system to tag each other now!
LiamWhelan

Post by LiamWhelan »

Low smiled and plucked the credits one at a time. "Music to my ears, thank you very much." he said stuffing them away in a pocket. "I don't know about having lost my touch or not, there was a time when I could probably fly one of those gas guzzling scrap heaps we flew during the war through the eye of a sewing needle in a hurricane. Not so sure of that these days." he said glancing down at his hands, one of them trembling slightly. "I manage though I suppose."

His eyes found the stars again as he turned to face forward. "Yeah. I don't know how some people could settle on places like Harvets, rolling hills, all the green, all that hard work." he said leaning back in his chair folding his hands behind his head. "I mean look at that." He nodded towards the vista in front of them. "That's freedom! Sweet, deadly freedom!"
Ellie
The Mark

Post by Ellie »

As Low spoke about rolling hills and green land, she felt transported back to her childhood on Whitefall for moment. "Everyone has their reason for settling down where they land I suppose. My folks stopped on Whitefall to teach. Sure it was a harder life than the one they had on the central planets, but they loved it there. Maybe I could have too, if life had gone differently..." she trailed off, turning over thoughts of things long gone now. The "what if" scenarios she usually didn't allow herself to indulge in.

Ellie shook her head as if to free her mind from unproductive trains of thought and grinned at Low with a playful wink, "Course then I wouldn't have had the pleasure of meeting your sorry ass!"

[mention]LiamWhelan[/mention]
Kitsune

Post by Kitsune »

Kit headed to the cockpit with Liam. The idea of stopping off at harvest was interesting. Agricultural planets were the best. they had the best produced and meats, fresh and quality. But the Black markets there were better, well stocked, because trading for fresh foods and herbs always has a market it this universe, almost like a core world but with less Law. Perhaps he might even find something like real Butter, Lobster or fresh milk.

"That's good. that's real good." said low

Patting him on the shoulder as he turned to head back to the galley to grab another plate for Timmy.

Once he had the plate he headed for the engine room.

"Hey Tim, I brought Dinner" as he knocked on the side of the wall.

There was no response. "Tim?" looking around inside. The hairs on the back of his began to stand up and instinctively he covered him bum and spun around. "Tim" he said warily.

If he was being stalked, Timmy was very good at it. However it didn't seem like this to Kit, something was off something was different. it felt like Tim was leaving work undone and that didn't seem right.

After a few more minutes of searching kit left the food and headed to search the rest of the ship. The search to a while but he could not find Tim anywhere.

"Well this doesn't seem right, better ask the Captain" Kit said to him self. heading toward the captains quarters.

Last edited by Kitsune on Sun Oct 01, 2017 7:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dr. Graham

Post by Dr. Graham »

Fiona did not seem to be in a very conversational mood, this must have been a particularly bad bout with the processors. She had simply nodded at his inquiry, with a grimace of pain on her face, hands still on her head. He gave her a quick checkup, but aside from the issues with her processors not agreeing with being in space flight he didn't see any problems. Still being sure to give her clear view of his mouth so she could read his lips he commented, "I assume the hard burn is probably making this worse. I can get you some water and pain meds though, just wait here..."

He pulled the door open to find Kitsune standing there. Why was Kitsune standing here in wait outside Ellie's door? He eyed him warily for a moment, then made a quick and probably rash decision. Leaning casually against the door frame, he acted as if it was perfectly normal for him to be in Ellie's quarters. Like he belonged there. Like she wanted him there. Well it wasn't a lie, she had asked him to go there. Just not for the reason he hoped Kitsune might believe. He smiled a bit and asked, "Something I can do for you?" God, if Ellie found out he was trying to pass this off as something else she might kill him. It didn't stop him though, he had a feeling that he and Kitsune would not be good friends.

[mention]Kitsune[/mention]
Kitsune

Post by Kitsune »

Lost in thought about where Timmy might be, as they were on a ship in space, so literally no place to go. His thought drifted towards perhaps he's with the captain.

Lost in total thought kit was awaken from his fug state by a voice

"Something I can do for you?" Graham asked.

"OH! sorry didn't see you there, Yea any idea where the captain is?" replying, as he did though he heard voices from the cockpit. "Never Mind" he started walking to the cockpit. "Oh and I almost forgot if your hungry there is stuffed quail in the galley, enough for everyone" saying it over his shoulder. his mind still trying to solve the puzzle of that odd boy Timmy.

TAG: ELLIE, LIAM, Graham
LiamWhelan

Post by LiamWhelan »

Liam smiled, it had been some time since he was this comfortable or happy. It was great to be flying with Ellie again. "I'm certain it will be a spell before I decide to retire, but this would be a great place to do it. Out here in the stars, so much fighting over rocks and dust. I don't need that kind of negativity in my life."

"You put any thought's in to where you wanna go after our brief stop over at Harvest?" he asked he turned hearing someone approaching.

Kitsune was coming down the hallway towards the bridge. "Huh," he watched the man with curiosity as his face seemed to indicate something was a bit off. "Bringing Desert?" he asked hopefully but noted that his hands were empty, he turned to Address Ellie, and Low waited for the other shoe to drop.
Dr. Graham

Post by Dr. Graham »

Graham watched the Cinnamon Man head off towards the cockpit and he was left wondering if he hadn't misjudged the man's intentions. He was pretty certain he hadn't, but, well, that was weird. Maybe the man was addled in the brain pan. Or maybe he was toying with him. He drew a deep breath and let out a heavy sigh and then headed out of the room, pulling the door shut behind him.

As he walked slowly across the galley and towards the stairs he thought over the situation here. Had he misjudged where Ellie was in her life? Was it possible she was involved with Kitsune? He shook his head at the thought. No, she would have told him straight out. One of the things he had always appreciated about her was that she was straightforward. No, she definitely wasn't involved with anyone.

He entered the medical bay and pulled out the pain meds, something nice and mild. Fiona didn't need to be knocked out, she just needed some relief from the pain. His thoughts now turned from Ellie to Fiona. He wondered if her processors could be adjusted some how to compensate for the ship, or even if perhaps there was newer technology that could be used to help her. Clearly the current situation was not working out well, and he was concerned that the only was it could be resolved is her leaving the ship. Graham wasn't sure what Fiona's long term plans were, but he wasn't sure she could take care of herself out in the 'verse. If anyone could help a lost soul like that it would be Ellie. As he reached the galley again, he thought "She really is so much like her folks." He retrieved a glass of water and made his way back over to Ellie's room and inside. He knelt down in front of her and held out the water in one hand and a few pills in the other for Fiona. He said "Take these, it will help. And I guess there is food waiting in the galley if you're hungry too."

[mention]fionafiacha[/mention]
Teddy
Posts in topic: 5

Post by Teddy »

Theodore was asleep on his bunk, an empty bottle laying on the nightstand, his hat over his head, and snoring away.

With no enemies to deal with, and not being overly social himself, there wasn't much for him to do. He'd stayed in his quarters mostly since his last talk with Ellie. He'd cleaned his weapons, his gear, and did his laundry; pressing his shirts just right and crimping his duster cap just perfectly. He hit the bourbon to his ills, both his memories and his physical pains, but never to the point of being incapacitated drunk. He'd taken most of his meals in his quarters as well, and had recently passed on the large meal that was made.

It was only when the ship took it's emergency departure, and he found himself on the ground instead of his bunk, that he awoke and roused to figure out what was going on; his trained hearing told him that the engines were flaring hot and hard.

Gathering himself, and slinging his gear, he left his quarters to check in and see what was happening. Pulling his hat down to his eyes, and adjusting his glasses, he stepped into the hallway and could hear voices coming from the Cockpit.

He climbed the ladder and found Capt. Ellie and the pilot talking, and joking. "Ah, good. For a moment there my shoulder and I thought there was a problem; not the first time I awoke to such a clatter."

"Patriotism means to stand by one's Country. It does not mean to stand by the president or any other public official." Theodore Roosevelt (Earth proper, early 20th century)

Fellow Simmer at: scifi-imperium.proboards.com
Ellie
The Mark

Post by Ellie »

Ellie glanced up as Teddy entered the cockpit, "Look who finally decided to get out of bed. Sorry about the rough flying, we had a little... complication at the station that called for a quick exit. We're headed to Harvest now, the plan's to pick up some supplies and fuel. Find a job if we can. Oh! That reminds me..." Ellie dug in her pocket again to retrieve Teddy's credits.

She held them out to the man, "Listen, thanks again for your help on the station. Here's your cut."

Tag: [mention]Teddy[/mention] [mention]Kitsune[/mention]
Last edited by Ellie on Sat Oct 07, 2017 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kitsune

Post by Kitsune »

Kitsune noticed movement ahead of him, causing him to pause a moment, his mind focusing on his surroundings now.

after that brief momentary pause he continued on to the cockpit. He knocked on the frame of the hatch as he entered. "Knock Knock anyone seen Timmy?" he said as to cover all points of conversation on this matter. "Hes not at his post nor anywhere on the ship that I can find."

He waited for the three to reply.

TAG: Teddy, Elly, Liam
LiamWhelan

Post by LiamWhelan »

Low blinked staring at Kitsune for a long moment. "Timmy?" he exchanged a glance with Ellie. "Isn't he your grease monkey?" he glanced down at the Navigational readouts and noted there location and the station they left behind then looked back at Ellie. "We would have enough fuel to get back if we turn back real quick." he watched Ellie intently knowing she had a tough decision to make.
Ellie
The Mark

Post by Ellie »

Ellie looked past Teddy as Kitsune entered the room as well, knocking on the door frame as he entered.

""Knock Knock anyone seen Timmy? Hes not at his post nor anywhere on the ship that I can find."

"Timmy?" Low exchanged a glance with Ellie. "Isn't he your grease monkey?"

Her brow furrowed in concern and she sat upright in her seat now and spun quickly around to face the console. She quickly hit a couple buttons to pull up the screen that should display the locator signal Timmy should still be emitting. Where she should see a blinking blue dot was... nothing. Then in the top corner of the screen were the words, "NO SIGNAL" She looked over at Low and there was clearly panic in her eyes as she said, "He's not on the ship, he must've got left behind at the station!" When she had run through the ship, she was so sure she saw him in his hammock in the engine room... wasn't she? Ellie closed her eyes and imagined what she had seen and realized she hadn't actually seen him. Her eyes shot open again, "Lao-tyen, boo! Low, I left him behind!"

"We would have enough fuel to get back if we turn back real quick," Low answered her panicked exclamations.

Ellie looked at the fuel reserves and her heart sank. She knew Low was being generous. They had used a lot on the hard burn, and if they went back to get Timmy and ran into the thugs they were running from to begin with they wouldn't have enough to do another hard burn. No, the fuel they had would only get them back to the station if they ran conservatively, and given what they had just been through on their way out, the seemed like a long shot. She sat silent for a long moment, not wanting to say what she knew she needed to say. Finally she looked around the room resolutely at the men standing about waiting to see what she wanted to do and gave a firm head shake, "We can't afford to risk not having enough, we're closer to Harvest. Let's land and pick up the fuel and supplies. In the meantime, Low," she looked to her old friend, probably the only one in the room she knew could see right through her brave facade, and said, "Send a wave to the station, see if we can't get Timmy located. If he's there, they should be able to find him and we can get him word to sit tight until we can get back from Harvest."

Tag: [mention]LiamWhelan[/mention] [mention]Kitsune[/mention] [mention]Teddy[/mention]

OOC: For Tags, type in the @ symbol followed by the username of the person you are tagging (with no space in between) and when their name appears click it. It will generate an @mention that will send them a notification.
Last edited by Ellie on Sat Oct 07, 2017 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LiamWhelan

Post by LiamWhelan »

"We can't afford to risk not having enough, we're closer to Harvest. Let's land and pick up the fuel and supplies. In the meantime, Low,"
she looked to her old friend, probably the only one in the room she knew could see right through her brave facade, and said, "Send a wave to the station, see if we can't get Timmy located. If he's there, they should be able to find him and we can get him word to sit tight until we can get back from Harvest."

Low nodded, he never liked leaving someone behind. "Aye," he said and settled back into his chair. "I'm sorry Ellie." he reached over and keyed up the communications array, and started composing a message adding a Spoof program to the outgoing mail to mask whom the wave was actually coming from.

=============================================================
TO: That Station we never named, Security Department
Subject: Timothy Heart't

We are attempting to confirm the presence of one Timothy Heart't as he is wanted for questioning in regards to a recent event that took place on the planet Greenleaf. We request that you look into this right away and respond as quickly as possible. Do not approach or detain, confirmation only.

Lieutenant Malcom McManis
Alliance Security
=============================================================

Low added the quick finishing touches to the fake wave, masking the Jenny's communication array information with that of a standard Alliance Communications array, and sent the fake traffic out in a quick burst transmission. "Wave sent, I spoofed it and sent it to Station Security via an Alliance message which I'm hoping will motivate them to locate Timmy but not approach or detain him. Hopefully they can find him for us or where he might have gotten off too."
Ellie
The Mark

Post by Ellie »

As Low gave her a recap of the message he sent, she felt a suffocating weight on her chest and she stood up suddenly and stalked out of the room without explanation to the men. She came to her room and just as her hand came to rest on the door handle she heard muffled voices coming from inside. "Tzao gao." Ellie had forgotten that Graham was taking care of Fiona in her quarters. Her hand slipped from the door handle and she moved on down the corridor, she needed somewhere private. She needed it desperately, as her emotions danced ever closer to a breaking point. Her feet took her down the corridor and around the corner onto the catwalk to the port shuttle. stepping inside she slid the door closed behind her and paced the small length of the shuttle in agitation. As she came to the entrance side of the shuttle for probably the third time, she let loose with a scream and she punched the metal frame of the door with all of her force. Cradling her now certainly injured hand she fell back against the wall and slid down to the floor with a heavy sob. She hadn't cried when she lost good friends in the war. She hadn't cried when she got word her parents died. She hadn't cried that morning she left her family and home on Whitefall under the weight of her own guilt. But today, she cried sorrowful tears pent up from a lifetime of wounds. Not least of these was the loss of a very dear friend, and crucial member of her crew. Ellie curled up on the floor and wept until she was so tired she fell asleep.

Kitsune

Post by Kitsune »

Chris waited for the remaining two's input or responses for the briefest of seconds before following after the captain. As he stepped out he saw her walk away from her door and head toward the shuttles. Her demeanor and presence betrayed her emotional distress ever so slightly. He decided to follow her but when he reached the hatchway he heard her sob and he stopped. He was never good at these things. His presence would be pure alcohol on an open flame. Spinning around and to the side he leaned his back against the wall next to the hatch. His hands reached into his vest pocket and pulled out his cinnamon stick bag and pulled out a few by the white wrapper with the gold trim line. This always helped him think, and for millennia untold always helped with peoples moods. He placed a few on the floor outside the hatchway after he rubbed them together a short bit. the final one he placed under his nose and began to breath it in. A plan began to take shape as his mind began to focus, he would check the cortex see if there were any CI or contacts on Harvest that he knew of who might help them refuel and get back to Vegas as quickly as possible.

Shoving off the wall he headed to his room to get on the cortex. He had friends both official and most not so much on most worlds, surely someone settled on Harvest. Once inside he headed strait for the terminal, turned it on, and began to search.

A short while later he found what he was looking for. The former president of the police officers union and lead detective for major crimes when Chris was a cop had settled there. Seemed he bought up a decent sized ranch outside the city of New Boston. "Seems he did alright for him self." reading the file present. Danny "The Dark" Gilzeen as he were was now a siting congressman and elected county sheriff. Clearly this planet had some wild west zones. "Well lets give it a shot" Opening a wave to Dan's office.

"Hello" A scruffy slightly grizzled man appeared after a few seconds who then took a hit off a green liquid in a glass that looked semi congealed or at best chunky if you will. "Oh! Kit, hey long time man, how is life treating you man?"

"Its Not to bad, How about your self? But before you say another word what is that." Kit replied

"Kale and spinach puree, ain't to bad when you get used to it, you should try it." Dan replied

"Fuck no!, if I wanted to suck of the Jolly green Giant, I would at least have him take me on a date first." Kit replied as if disgusted

"Its doing wonders for my heath I really do recommend it."

"Yea good, you go back to drinking your jolly green giant jiz and I will go back to keeping food down." They both paused for a second then chuckled.

"So what do I owe the pleasure" Dan replied

"I am heading into Harvest but need to refuel and go as soon as possible. A member of our team is in trouble and we have to go help."

"Say no more I know just the place..... Mine stop on by I have a fueling station on my back forty that can handle most small to mid sized freighters. Have to warn you though fuel prices here are Ludacris to say the least, and I am going to have to charge full rate, I have a business to run."

"Not a problem I have that covered, See you shortly." Kit raised his hand as to end the call and receive the coordinates to the fueling depot when Dan spoke.

"I know your in a rush but, when your matters are settled, I would like to request your services here on harvest. You are still a Bounty Hunter are you not. We can talk about it when you get here." Dan took another tug off his puree before closing the vid and sending the info.

LiamWhelan

Post by LiamWhelan »

Low watched as Ellie stalked off, he knew better than to follow her when she got real quiet like that. Had sort of a look to her that just said, 'dont'. He closed his eyes for a moment, and turned back to the windows. He sat there for some time contemplating things as time ticked by, another burn which would use up the majority of their fuel, they would have enough to land, barely. He shook his head, "Never should have worked for those bastards." he muttered to himself. "I know they were trouble from the get go."

Not too terribly long ago on the planet Greenleaf...

Low stumbled down the stairs to the bar, he could feel the effects of a long night of drinking still toying with his senses. It had been a long and exciting evening which included at least one good brawl. He didn't feel that much at the time but it certainly was getting his attention now. His ribs were tender, and his face felt a bit swollen. "Leaving so soon?" a voice called quietly from the top of the stairs.

Turning back to stare up the stairs, he spotted one of the ladies of the house who was still scantly clad. "Time for me to go." he said, his speech was still a bit slurred.

"Its the middle of the night, you can't go!" she said sternly.

"Never-the-less, my ship leaves bright and early and I've got to be on it!" he said tipping his hat and nearly falling over for the efforts. "Thank you for a lovely evening." he said after composing himself.

She watched him head for the door, and just as he was about to step through the swinging doors two men appeared and pushed there way into the room, slowly pushing Low back into the room, both had stern expressions. "Not so fast." one of the two said.

"You didn't pay up boy!" another man said, his voice sounded raspy as he too entered slowly through the doors. And far too dramatically for Low's liking.

"No one said I had to pay. She offered to let me stay with her after defending her honor!" Low said waving up at the woman who was watching them from the top of the stairs. "Did ya hon?" Low didn't expect the incoming fist, and even if he was sober he wasn't sure he could have dodged it anyhow. He spun around, and while he physically stopped the room continued to spin as he fell back into the two large men behind him. He could feel them rummaging through his things.

"He ain't got nothing boss." the man on his right said.

"Really?"

"Spent it all last night." Low spat slowly pulling himself upright with a bit of help from the two gorilla's holding him in place.

The man looked him up and down, the smiled. "Take his guns!"

Faster than the man could blink a pistol was leveled between his eyes. "Nope!" Low stuttered.

"What do you mean nope!" the man asked.

"I Don't believe I stuttered." Low said with a smile. "Nope, your not taking my guns."

The man burst into laughter as did his two friends, and it went on for a long moment. Finally composing himself he looked Low straight in the eyes. "Get that gun out of my face boy, do you know who I am?"

"Nope, not a clue. Take a few steps back if you know what's good for you!" Low said, the slur slipping from his speech, and an all too serious tone replacing it. "You'll be a lead cushion otherwise."

"A lead cushion..." the man burst out laughing again. "Kill him!" he said suddenly with all seriousness.

Low didn't skip a beat, rolling away from the two large men behind him, his first round found its target in the thigh of the one that was previously on his right as that was the direction of his spin, he had to duck the other as he swung a massive knife, his second round found its purchase on the guys bicep wielding the knife, and then leveled between the mans eyes who instructed them to assault him. He blinked a couple of times noting he was standing there still unarmed, staring back with a smile.

"Very good." the man said, "Very well done indeed. I've seen Linus here cleave a mans head clean off with one swing of that thing. You've got a pair, that's for certain. I could use someone with your talents." he said frowning as he looked at the two stricken men who were in considerable pain. "Back to the house with ya, get those wounds fixed up!" he said jerking a thumb back towards the door.

"Work for you? Your an asshole, why would I work for someone who blatantly holds life in such regard! Hell no!" he said lowering his weapon. "I just want to move on... crap!" he said noting the time. "You bastards made me miss my flight!"

"Okay, let me rephrase that, you'll start in two days or I'm afraid you'll not like the alternative. No one turns us down I'm afraid, besides the pay is good and the rules are lax. Come check us out tomorrow, I'll show you around the business, acquaint you with the rules. You've got a debt to work off anyhow, and if you come work for us we can take care of that for you in short order."

Low slowly slipped the his revolver back into its holster. "Guess I don't have much choice."

"Oh you certainly do, you could make a lead cushion out of me as you put it, and then run. But believe when they send the enforcers you wont get far." he said offering a smile. "Besides what have you got to loose Liam, your broke twice over, you owe money to a few rough customers." he held up a hand. "Yes I know who you are."

"You set me up?" Low asked, his cheeks flushing red with anger.

The man shook his head, "You could look at it that way or... you could call it aggressive recruiting!" he shrugged. "Its a win, win either way." the man turned and started to pass through the doors but stopped. "Miller & Lowery, that's were your meeting me. Tomorrow first thing, don't show up and the dog's will be coming."

"Thought you said I didn't start for two days?" Low said.

"You don't, just be there!" he said and disappeared into the night leaving low standing there to ponder.

"Your screwed, in more ways than one. Might as well come back up!" the woman said at the top of the stairs. "Still have a few hours." she said as she too disappeared back into the room. He shrugged and headed back up the stairs, a lot more sober than he had been but just as jaded.

Back to the future we go, a short distance from the Planet Harvest.

The blue and green marble that made up the planet Harvest loomed in the distance, but it was coming fast. Soon they would put into orbit then down to the planet they would go. Low stood near the front of the cockpit drinking from a mug of steaming liquid. Low always thought on of the best parts about flying around the galaxy in a space ship was this right here. Approaching a planet, starting out as a pin prick in the black verse to something amazing, and this was no different.

The Marble of a planet grew steadily in the windows as they coasted towards the planet, low could feel the change in the craft. It was subtle but you could feel if you spent enough time on a space ship, the pull of a planets gravity, especially when your drive systems were in standby. They had enough fuel to land, but he was going to be on fumes so he was going to save them what he could for that landing, and figured the approach which might be hot would allow them to save some extra fuel for the burn in.

Low settled into the chair at the pilots console, and reached for the intercom. "Ladies and Gentlemen this is your pilot speak'n, we'll be putting in at Harvest here in a short time, gonna ask that ye start securing everything you can including yourself as this is likely to be a bit turbulent. Estimating about fifteen minutes at present speed to atmo entry." he said and clicked the intercom off.
Dr. Graham

Post by Dr. Graham »

After getting FIona some pain meds and a brief conversation, he had helped her out of the Captain's quarters and to her own room. Back in the med bay, he had set about doing some research with the help of the cortex. He was hoping there had been some developments or advancements in processors like Fiona's that would help alleviate some of the pain she was feeling. Who knows, he may even come across a new treatment. It was slow going though, searching through the various databases available to him. Granted he had much more access as a doctor trained and licensed on Ariel than a lot of the local practitioners on small planets such as Bernadette, but it also meant a lot more work sifting through information.

He sat now, reading a report on some research coming out of one of the top Universities on Ariel. It was in the early stages so he wasn't sure if it would help the girl even, but interesting none the less. Truth be told, he wasn't even sure if she would be open to any of this. Still, he was determined to find out all the options available before them just in case she was open to it.

Ellie
The Mark

Post by Ellie »

The early fall night was sweet with the smell of recently harvested hay. Above them was a majestic deep blue sky full of twinkling stars, fringed in the west with violet and fuchsia hues. Whispered words stirred the still night air, accompanied by the chirping of crickets. A soft moan of pleasure slipped from her lips and his mouth met hers with a lingering kiss. Shivers along her back; are they from his touch or the cool air on her skin? She could smell the crushed grass they lay in and the warm damp earth beneath. It was a heady mixture that seemed to drive them on. Soft caresses and impassioned kisses build until it felt as though she couldn’t stand it any longer… "Ladies and Gentlemen this is your pilot speak'n, we'll be putting in at Harvest here in a short time, gonna ask that ye start securing everything you can including yourself as this is likely to be a bit turbulent. Estimating about fifteen minutes at present speed to atmo entry.”

Ellie sits upright with a start at Low’s announcement. For a moment she was disoriented. It took a second for her to realize she was in her shuttle; on Jenny Wren. Her heart still racing, she groaned in irritation. It had been many years since she had that dream last. She had thought she was past this. This is not what she needed to dredge up. Not now.

She reached her right hand up to run her fingers through her hair and grimaced in pain. Why did her hand hurt? She looked at it and remembered her foolish decision to punch the door frame. Using her other hand she grasped the door handle and pulled herself off the floor. She drew a deep breath, trying to prepare herself to interact with the others. Unfortunately, Ellie knew she had to go see Ian about her hand.

“Pull yourself together McKee!” she chided herself softly. Finally she opened the door and just as she was about to step through the hatch she noticed something on the ground. Stooping down, she reached out with her good hand and picked up what appeared to be a couple cinnamon sticks. “That’s odd,” she thought to herself. Clasping them in her hand, she made her way down the stairs from the catwalk and across to the med bay. She could see Ian through the window before she reached the door. His head was bent over something she couldn’t see beneath the frame of the window. He was intently working on it though; she recognized the look of determination in his eyes. She had always admired his ability to stick it out, see a project through to the end. It was not a strength for her, she was more the type to cut her losses and run when it suited her.

Ellie stuck her head in the door, her hair an escaping mass of red curls from where she had them tied back before she fell asleep on the floor of the shuttle. “Knock, knock,” she announced her presence in an uncharacteristically timid voice. He looked up and she held her hand up for him to see and said sheepishly, “I seem to have some work for you.”

Tag: [mention]Dr. Graham[/mention]
Dr. Graham

Post by Dr. Graham »

Joint Post with Graham and Ellie

“Knock, knock,” Ellie’s voice interrupted Graham’s reading and he looked up to see her holding up her hand which appeared a bit bloodied, “I seem to have some work for you.”

He hopped up off his stool in surprise and closed the distance between them quickly, “Ellie! What did you do?” He took her hand and looked it over. Her knuckles were broken open and bloodied, but they didn’t appear to be too deep.

An embarrassed look crossed Ellie’s face and she said, “I got in a fight with a wall.”

Graham glanced up at her face for a moment, something felt off. He didn’t ask though, just pointed to a stool and said, “Sit down.” He retrieved a bowl of warm water and a cloth and set it on a rolling cart with some bandages and a needle and surgical thread. Then he rolled the cart over next to her. The ship began to shake as they began their descent onto Harvest, the instruments rattled against the stainless steel cart.

Ellie dropped the cinnamon sticks she was holding onto the cart and rubbed her neck with her good hand. It was killing her from a long nap on a hard metal floor. “I could probably use some pain killers,” she commented.

He saw her drop something on the cart and he froze for a moment, staring at the cinnamon sticks she had been previously holding. Cinnamon sticks… “Hmm?” he said absent mindedly, realizing she had been saying something to him but he had missed it, being preoccupied with the cinnamon sticks. Or more precisely, being more preoccupied with the reason she might be carrying cinnamon sticks and where she had gotten them.

“Pain killers, I’m pretty sore at the moment and my hand is hurtin’ so I was hopin' you might give me somethin’ to quiet the pain.”

“Right, right,” he pulled open a nearby drawer and withdrew a small bottle of pills and took a couple out to give her. He studied her face as he held them out to her. Once she had taken them, he took her right hand and dipped the cloth in the water to wash the knuckles off.

She took the pills and popped them in her mouth and downed them, without bothering to get a glass of water. “How bad is it?” she asked him.

“Mm, the cuts don’t seem too deep, I don’t think I need to stitch it up. Flex for me, would ya?” He watched as she carefully opened and closed her hand. “It doesn’t look like you broke anything either. I think I’ll just use some medical glue on the places I can and let the rest heal up naturally…” He went back to cleaning it up.

She drew a sharp intake of breath as his process of cleaning triggered a wave of pain.

Graham looked up at her apologetically, “Sorry ‘bout that,” he finished up as gently as he could. Then he applied the medical glue to the easier to close cuts, but the main ones across the knuckles, he knew those wouldn’t stay closed, they would just need to scab and heal like normal. Instead he applied some antiseptic and then placed bandages over the wounds before wrapping the whole hand in some gauze to protect it from the elements. “You may have more pain, I can give you some more meds in six hours if so.”

Ellie looked over her mummy-like hand, then smiled gratefully at Graham, “Thanks Ian.”

“Anytime you need El, I’m here,” he answered sincerely.

The rocking and shaking increased and she glanced up warily, “Suppose I should go up top and make sure Low isn’t breaking my ship. You might want to hold onto something.” Ellie stood up and hurried off toward the stairs.

Graham thoughtfully watched her through the window until she disappeared up the stairs. He turned back to the rattling cart and picked up the cinnamon sticks, turning them over slowly in his hand before he finally dropped them into a trash bin with a heavy sigh. Then he turned his attention to cleaning up the small mess he’d made.

Ellie - Jenny Wren, stairs to the catwalk
Last edited by Dr. Graham on Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Kitsune

Post by Kitsune »

Kit sent the information he received to the cockpit. Liam was most likely there and would receive the location.

Once that was complete Kit began to dress him self in a nice suit, orange shirt with black vertical lines, a black vest, tie and pant. under that was his usual body armor. He wore a should holster for his 608, a couple .410 derringers in pockets and a knife in one boot a snub nosed .38 in the other. He was not expecting trouble so he was traveling light.

After he was all set he heard an intercom announcement. "Ladies and Gentlemen this is your pilot speak'n, we'll be putting in at Harvest here in a short time, gonna ask that ye start securing everything you can including yourself as this is likely to be a bit turbulent. Estimating about fifteen minutes at present speed to atmo entry.”

"Well best go get a thank you gift from the cargo hold."
Kit thought a bottle of Thousand Needles would do just fine. heading down to the hold. On his way he bumped into the captain coming up from below.

"Hey Cap, I found a place we can Refuel and go, no docking fee's, inspections, or anything to slow us down."

TAG: [mention]Ellie[/mention]
LiamWhelan

Post by LiamWhelan »

Low stood watching the planet loom closer and closer in the windows outside, he knew he would need to take the controls here soon so he finished the last of his coffee. “This should be fun!” he said to himself and crossed the few steps over to the pilot’s seat. “Maybe more fun for me than the others. Hope them hull plates are in good order.” He murmured to himself.

He took the controls as the faint telltale signs of atmospheric re-entry started to show on the nose of the craft, he flipped the switch shutting down the autopilot and gripped the controls a bit tighter. His fingers starting to play across the console in front of him. He knew he was going to need most if not all the speed reduction he could muster. The craft began to tremble as it started to break into Harvest’s Thermosphere.

The hull temperature light flickered on to indicate an increase in temperature was occurring, then a master caution blinked to life indicating he was overspeed on entry. He keyed into the helm the sequence and time for a short firing of the breaking thrusters which only moments after roared to life causing the craft to lurch forward as it decelerated suddenly, then the trembling increased as did the plasma fire growing outside.

As they broke into the Mesosphere the craft started to shake and tremble, and several warning lights flickered to life, but so far nothing catastrophic had occurred. “Come on Jenny, bring us home.” It was about then he heard someone enter the bridge, he was certain that it was Ellie and confirmed that when she settled into the chair next to him.

Low offered her a sheepish grin and then went back to the task at hand, there was another lurch as the vessel broke through the planets stratosphere, the hull temperature was rising rapidly, it was about then he began making his first speed reduction turn rolling the craft about fifteen degrees to port, and pulled up on the nose of the craft to give them some drag and start spreading the heat out across the hull. He watched the hull temperature gauge rise and as it got to the point of causing the master caution light to start blinking and an alarm start insistently beeping at him did he roll the craft over onto its starboard side.

The plasma fire started to slowly die out as the air became thicker and thicker on the outside, and he continued to dance the craft back and forth effectively carving a snake like smoke trail through the atmosphere. They were well far enough down now and though it felt like an eternity, he leveled the craft and looked over at Ellie. “We going to the main hub or someplace out of the way?”

[mention]Kitsune[/mention] [mention]Ellie[/mention]
Ellie
The Mark

Post by Ellie »

Once Ellie was well out of sight of the Med Bay she paused and took a deep breath, looking over her hand once more. "You're a damn fool McKee..." she berated herself for such a stupid move. But in reality she was upset over the dream still, she just didn't want to face that yet. Just as she started back up the stairs she nearly ran into Kitsune.

"Hey Cap, I found a place we can Refuel and go, no docking fee's, inspections, or anything to slow us down."

She nodded a bit, "Almost sounds too good to be true. I'm heading up to the cockpit, can you give the coordinates for where to set Jenny down to Low?"

Hurrying on up the stairs, Ellie made her way into the cockpit once more and went inside. She could seethe planet coming up quickly and she was met with various warning alarms sounding. She slipped into the copilot seat and when he turned over to look at her she lifted a wary eyebrow as if to ask, "You tryna kill us all?" His only response was a sheepish grin, but she said nothing, leaving him to the work of putting them down.

Once he got them leveled off, he turned to her and asked, “We going to the main hub or someplace out of the way?”

"Kitsune has some connections here it seems, he send you some coordinates? Should be an out of the way spot to refuel and avoid inspections and the like from what he says."

Tag: [mention]LiamWhelan[/mention] [mention]Kitsune[/mention]
LiamWhelan

Post by LiamWhelan »

Low gave a nod, and glanced over at his communications station and sure enough there was a blinking message there. He keyed the message, and fed the coordinates into the ships navigational computer, and noted the landing site. "Easy, Peasy." he said and started to bring the nose around to the heading taking a moment to check their air speed and altitude. He set about calculating the math on their rate of decent, airspeed, and distance to the site and nodded a few times as the numbers kind of worked themselves out.

He glanced over as he once again leveled off the craft in the right direction. "Might wanna strap in. You know, just in case!" he said while he likewise snaked himself into his restraining harness and fished the belt clips into their places. "Gonna be a bit hot on this one, but I think I can get her where we need to go."

The landscape grew closer and closer, what was undefined started to grow into pin pricks of trees and things, and eventually started to get larger and larger. He once again queued the breaking thrusts up bringing them online, then deployed the speed breaks, causing the craft to lurch forward and shudder. Slowly applying any flaps the craft had, he wrestled with the stick for a moment then dipped the nose descending rapidly.

In the distance a property came into view over the horizon, and quickly grew bigger in the windows, then without hesitating Low fired the ships breaking thrusters and pulled back hard on the stick, he held onto it tightly as the craft bucked and decelerated very suddenly. There was a sputtering sound as the engines fought for fuel, and then everything went quiet and seemed to hang as if the craft was floating.

Low reached over and slapped the landing configuration keys, and then fired the ships dorsal thrusters and the nose came down. The property a short distance away but the Jenny struck land, digging in hard and lurched as the ship hit and planted itself, felt as if she might lift up on her nose, then the rear of the craft came down, a cloud of dust bellowing out from around the ship.

Low let out the breath he was holding. "Shit..."

Tag: ALL
Kitsune

Post by Kitsune »

Kit left the captain and headed to a wooden crate he had at the aft side of the cargo bay. Foam bumpers lined the edges of the crate. Kit unlocked both locks and opened the crate. Inside was a few dozen bottles of liquids of varying sizes shapes and colors, surrounded by artificial straws. He ran his fingers across the tops of several bottles searching. He finally found a bottle of thousand needles tequila. Most of the time he would keep a few dozen bottles of every sorts on him, for cooking, gifts, maybe bribes or just to drink. This stuff was made from stage cactuses and was going for a hefty price, but was probably the least useful for his cooking. Now drinking that was what this was good for and for an ex cop it was probably the best gift.

placing the bottle on the floor he secured he crate, storing it back where it was. Once that was done he picked up the bottle and began to walk back toward the stairs. Suddenly the ship shook violently throwing Kit from his feet. He landed back first 15 feet back the way he came slamming into a support beam. Two storage containers landing on him as he hit the floor. "UGH!" Kit coughed and dragged him self out from under the crates. "Son of a bitch" crawling further on the floor through the debris "What the fuck was that". As Kit sat up to his surprise the bottle was sitting there staring at him in an upright position undamaged like it had stuck a perfect landing and Kit did not. He picked up the bottle and looked at the label.

Teddy

Post by Teddy »

"Complications you say?" a wiry smirk crossing his face "Oh, just sounds bully indeed Miss Ellie." Turning to leave the Cockpit, "I suppose I oughta give my gear a once over too, in case there are any more 'complications' on Harvest."

He turned back when she called out to him, and took the offered credits. He split the amount and gave the rest back. "Never did pay you back for those medical supplies you wasted on me when you picked me up; my shoulder thanks you. My pride..." he smiled "Is still pondering it all."

He took off down the step ladder, calling up as he did, "Let me know when you're readying to disembark, and I'll accompany ya out!"

Passing Kitsune, he replied "No, I haven't seen the lad for a spell either."

"Patriotism means to stand by one's Country. It does not mean to stand by the president or any other public official." Theodore Roosevelt (Earth proper, early 20th century)

Teddy

Post by Teddy »

As the ship rocked and banked, coming in for the planned landing, Teddy just held onto the railings tight. One hand on each side of the walkway, trying to sturdy himself, his trust saber scabbard clanking from side to side.

"By golly I miss the bridges of the Heavy Cruisers and Dreadnaughts..." Another hard turn, another sway to one side "Ain't thrown around this bad since the combat landing during Settlement 372 in the Badlands uprising... and that was AFTER the rebellion... Sheesh... Those dropship pilots are crazy too!"

Hearing a loud grunt, and some crashing boxes, Theodore looked over the railings he was riding and saw a few legs sticking out from under a crate, just prior to the box being pushed off and Kitsune sitting up cursing. He called down to him "What are you laying around for lad, can't you see our pilot's dodging incoming space?" he laughed heartedly as the landing concluded, ship and crew still rocking away.

LiamWhelan

Post by LiamWhelan »

Low slowly stood up as the craft settled itself, he took his hat off and wiped his brow. "That went better than I expected honestly." he said moving over to the station behind Ellie. He flipped a switch which brought up the crude but effective damage control status display. "No structural damage so that's a blessing in its own right. No hull damage either. Hot damn!" he said with a smile. Then moved slowly over to the pilots station and took a look at the status lights, master caution was still lit, but that was likely just due to the fact the engines shut down after running out of fuel. He flipped a couple of switches shutting down the rest of the engine mechanisms and fuel pumps to secure the ships thrusters and main engines. Then took stock of the rest of the mess.

He reached over and pushed the lever to retract the vessels flaps, and noted that all seemed to return to their normal positions without a problem, he frowned when he flipped the lever for the ships speed break and it didn't go green, an angry yellow indicator came on under the red indicating there was some kind of trouble. "Great... have to go out and take a look at the speed break's but looks like were otherwise unscathed."

Settling back down he began securing the rest of the ships flight sensors, and equipment leaving only passive scanning systems on so they would present less of a sensor target themselves. He stopped as he was about to shut down the communications console and noticed there was a message waiting. Must have picked it up when they were on their way down, he was just so busy with the task at hand that he didn't notice. He queued up the message and read.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
TO: Alliance Cruiser Alestra, Security Department
Subject: Timothy Heart't

Unable to locate subject Timothy Heart't on the station after an all spaces check of the station. Witnesses say he was last seen being taken aboard a vessel, it was unfortunately unregistered, last course was unspecified when last seen on sensors. They did seem to be in a hurry when they left and took a course similar to the Jenny Wren which burned out of here after breaking from docking.

END Message.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Gāisǐ de" Low spat.

"What, what is it?" Ellie asked standing to move over to see the message he was looking at.

"Ellie, I think my pursuers have Timmy. Station security says the last time anyone saw him is when he was being taken aboard an unregistered ship which followed our course out of the system. You can almost be sure its them..." he shook his head. "There after me, so they..." he stopped talking for a moment. "They are a rowdy bunch, but they likely wont hurt him. They will most likely use him as leverage to try and get me to turn myself over to them."

[mention]Ellie[/mention]
Ellie
The Mark

Post by Ellie »

"Gāisǐ de" Low spat.

"What, what is it?" Ellie asked standing to move over to see the message he was looking at.

"Ellie, I think my pursuers have Timmy. Station security says the last time anyone saw him is when he was being taken aboard an unregistered ship which followed our course out of the system. You can almost be sure its them..." he shook his head. "There after me, so they..." he stopped talking for a moment. "They are a rowdy bunch, but they likely wont hurt him. They will most likely use him as leverage to try and get me to turn myself over to them."

Ellie stood thoughtfully looking at the message, trying to inwardly quell the sense of dread she felt rising. She drew a slow, deep breath and straightened up to look Low in the eye, "We don't know any of that for sure. He could be taken by anyone. We'll find him. In the meantime, he's made of stronger stuff than he looks." She wished she felt as confident as she tried to sound about finding him.

"Before we can do that though, we need to get Jenny flying again. Which means we need fuel, so let's go." She turned and led the way out of the cockpit and to the stairs down to the catwalk, inquiring over her shoulder as she moved, "Did you break anything in that landing?"

She came upon Teddy laughing on the stairs and peered down to see what was so funny. Kitsune seemed to be brushing himself off and looking at a bottle of something or other. Lifting an eyebrow she asked, "Want to join us planetside, Teddy?" and went on past him to meet up with Kitsune in the cargo hold.

"Alright Kit, it's your connection, so how about you take lead?"

Tag: [mention]Teddy[/mention] [mention]Kitsune[/mention] [mention]LiamWhelan[/mention]
Kitsune

Post by Kitsune »

"What are you laying around for lad, can't you see our pilot's dodging incoming space?" Teddy laughed heartedly

Kit waved he hand above his head and picked him self up taking a second glance at the bottle while he dusted him self off.

"Alright Kit, it's your connection, so how about you take lead?" Ellie said from behind him.

Looking back over his shoulder "Yea sure" heading over to the ramp and opening both sets of doors. The ramp however lowered till it got to a 25 degree incline. "Huh" kit examined and headed up the ramp to check it out. They appeared to have landed in a pasture and not a refueling depot. a few small streams traveled around the jenny, the ground was pure mud. Shaking his head and cursing to him self he turned back to the rest.

"Hope you're not wearing your good cloths." Which Kit was wearing some. A type of cow approached the ship, clearly it was not afraid. Kit saw this and replied back "good news I think we found a ride" though he knew they would not be riding a cow.
LiamWhelan

Post by LiamWhelan »

Ellie stood thoughtfully looking at the message, trying to inwardly quell the sense of dread she felt rising. She drew a slow, deep breath and straightened up to look Low in the eye, "We don't know any of that for sure. He could be taken by anyone. We'll find him. In the meantime, he's made of stronger stuff than he looks." She wished she felt as confident as she tried to sound about finding him.

"Before we can do that though, we need to get Jenny flying again. Which means we need fuel, so let's go." She turned and led the way out of the cockpit and to the stairs down to the catwalk, inquiring over her shoulder as she moved, "Did you break anything in that landing?"

Low nodded, "Nothing we can't fix with a bit of brute force, speed breaks saying its broken most likely just need to get out and physically tweek them a bit and they should return to normal." he followed her as she headed aft. "Just thanking my lucky star's that was the only thing that appears broken."

She came upon Teddy laughing on the stairs and peered down to see what was so funny. Kitsune seemed to be brushing himself off and looking at a bottle of something or other. Lifting an eyebrow she asked, "Want to join us planetside, Teddy?" and went on past him to meet up with Kitsune in the cargo hold.

"Alright Kit, it's your connection, so how about you take lead?"

Low took stock of the various messes about the cargo hold and nodded thanking they didn't damage too much both inside and out.

Looking back over his shoulder "Yea sure" heading over to the ramp and opening both sets of doors. The ramp however lowered till it got to a 25 degree incline. "Huh" kit examined and headed up the ramp to check it out. They appeared to have landed in a pasture and not a refueling depot. a few small streams traveled around the jenny, the ground was pure mud. Shaking his head and cursing to him self he turned back to the rest.

"Hope you're not wearing your good cloths."
Which Kit was wearing some. A type of cow approached the ship, clearly it was not afraid. Kit saw this and replied back "good news I think we found a ride" though he knew they would not be riding a cow.

Slowly walking to the edge of the ramp, he glances around with a bit of a grin. "Odd how some things just work out..." he pointed outside the craft. "Nasty but that's probably what saved us from external damage and cushioned that drop. Good and lucky I'd say." he glanced over at Kitsune. "Where we off too?"

[mention]Ellie[/mention] [mention]Kitsune[/mention] [mention]Teddy[/mention]
Teddy

Post by Teddy »

When Theodore saw Kitsune rise and still had the bottle unbroken, he punched a fist in the air and shouted down at him "Good show Sir, just bully of you! Gotta keep your priorities eh?"

Things had calmed and it was noticable that the ship had landed, his ears could even hear the engines winding down and the struts settling. He shook out the ache, or at least tried, the pain in his shoulder that revealed itself during the landing, and muttered under his breath. He saw Ellie approach and peer down on Kitsune, then look back at him. "What to join us planetside, Teddy?" He came to a form of attention, and smiled back. "It'll probably be safer down there, then aboard with our pilot currently I'd think." A smile crossing his ace, "At your disposal, Miss Ellie." He came about, and followed behind her.

Kitsune

Post by Kitsune »

ATTENTION-ATTENTION-FAIR WARNING- THIS IS A JOINT POST BETWEEN ELLIE, LOW and KIT- SHINANIGENZ INPLIED- YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED

Low nodded, then turned and disappeared heading back into the ship, figured he would likely need his rifle just in case. It didn’t take him long to get to his quarters, pull the thing off the wall and sling it before heading back to the Cargo Hold. “I’m good to go!” he said glancing about.

While Low was heading away Kit walked up the ramp again and measured the distance from the top of the ramp to the upper part of the ship using his body. The Mule would fit by his reckoning. “I think we can get her out without scratching the paint” He said to the captain.

“Scratching the paint adds character.” Low said with a smirk.

Ellie glanced between Low and Kitsune, “If either of you scratches the mule, you’re repainting it!”

Low chuckles. “So she’s driving apparently.” he says eyeing the mule dubiously.

Kit jumped up onto the back and layed down on his back “Well I know I’m not.” crossing one leg over the other and tipping his hat down over his eyes. Teddy meanwhile, squeezed into what little space Kitsune left him.

Low exchanged glances with Ellie, “Isn’t he directing this show?” he peers over the edge of the mule. “I take it were visiting the owner of this property? I assume so since we landed here.”

“Well we were going to his fuel depot and that’s probably where he was heading when he picked up our transponder signal entering atmo, buuutttt… cant rightfully say now.” Kit said still lazily reclined in the mule.

“Good place as any to start I suppose.” he looked over at Ellie. “Want me to drive, or do you want the wheel this time?”

“Well you got us this far alive, what’s another short jaunt?” She climbed into the passenger seat and looked at Kitsune in the back, “Does you friend have a name?”

“Danny Gilzeen, was called The Darkness, back in the day, cause he is darker than midnight on a sunless moon.I mean pure soul sucking creepy” Kit scoffed

Low nodded and climbed into the driver's seat taking a moment to belt himself in, then flipped the switches to start the motor and waited while it warmed up and the thing went through its own self diagnostic tests. Reaching down between the seats he pulled up on the long lever and depressed the button on its end releasing it from its mooring that kept it in place. “And away we go!” he said putting it in gear and giving it some gas. He slowly guided it out the cargo hold, and over the ramp and had to give it a bit more gas to get it through the mud bog at the base of the ramp but soon they were on dry land and he increased speed directing the craft towards the distant buildings.

As the landscape zipped by Low pointed towards a series of tanks and a gantry in the distance not far from the building they could see. “Betting that’s the refueling depot.” he said as he turned the vehicle toward that location.

Kit lifted the brim of his hat just a bit to see what Low was talking about. “I reckon or he is stockpiling a shit ton of cow shit.”

“Could be both.” Low said with a chuckle.

“Well we can’t fly Jenny on cow shit, so let’s hope it’s the fuel,” Ellie remarked.

“Ah, but methane is one of the many chemicals that are used in fuel production so, it’s more likely an export than a fuel source.” he said, starting to slow the mule as they got closer to the depot.

“Wow I did not see the Encyclopedia Britannica coming out of that guy.” tipping his hat back down over his eyes.

Low simply gave him the finger, while laughing, then brought the Mule to a stop.

Kit lifted the brim of his hat yet again confused to why they stopped then realized. “Well guess we have arrived.” Getting up and hopping of the mule.

In the distance a small group of people started approaching them a slender pale man with dark black clothing and black facial hair and semi long black hair, who was accompanied by three ladies two of whom looked like grease monkeys, or scavengers (One carrying a giant ass wrench) and one businesswoman.

Low took a moment to set the parking brake, and then shut the motor off. He glanced at his other two companions, then unbelted himself and slid from the vehicle standing beside it.

Climbing out of the mule, she watched the group approaching them. She hoped Kit’s friend was trustworthy, it was always so hard to tell on some of the Border planets.

Teddy’s eyes narrowed at the sight of the group approaching, he didn’t like the look of them. Ellie noticed his hesitance and said, “Why don’t you hang back, keep an eye on the whole picture, make sure we’re covered for anything we might be too close to notice?” He gave her a nod and climbed out of the mule. He leaned up against the side facing the approaching group, and while his stance looked casual, Ellie knew he was in a prime spot and position to take someone out should the need arise. She smiled and gave him a knowing nod before turning back to the other two.

Kit noticed the ladies approaching. And made a strange sound “HUWAAAAA!!! I LOVE LADIES!" And took off at a run toward them spouting all kinds of unintelligible words with great enthusiasm.

“This is not going to end well…” Low muttered.

Ellie nodded her agreement, “But at least he’s bugging someone other than me, so I’m not going to complain. Besides, I think we can handle it even if it does go sideways, which it most likely will.” She grins jokingly at Low.

As he ran kit passed by a shrub with blooming flowers and in a blink of an eye had snatched a large hand full without slowing his pace. When he was within arms reach hi same spinning to a halt on one knee and offering up the flowers. “wéi nǐ , wǒ de fū rén” Presenting it to the taller of the mechanically inclined females.

Low took his hand off the rifle sitting down next to the chair. “Naa, he’s totally got this.” he couldn’t help but smile watching what he was pretty sure was about to be a train wreck of biblical proportions.

She shifted her toothpick in her mouth looking at kit with utter dubiousness and took the flowers he had just snatched off their trees, but said nothing.

The man with them spoke up “So how many did you lose just now in the crash, I hope it was a few” wringing his hands together “Hogs have not had fine fiddles in some time” evilly grinning

“It was more like a controlled, crash landing.” Low said walking forward. “Just a few bumps and bruises. You must be, the Darkness?” he felt weird saying it like that but it seemed fitting.

The man’s voice sent a chill up kits spine and made him want to vomit. Such a sinister sounding man who even kit couldn’t read or ever get used to. Standing he gained his composure and seriousness. He handed Dan the bottle of thousand needles. “Sorry about the cow pasture”
Turning slightly “Let me introduce you, Daniel this is our Captain Ellie McKee and our pilot Liam Owen Whelan or Low."

Low gave a nod. “Nice to meet ya.” he said as he walked up to the man to shake his hand. Low felt the hair stand up on the back of his neck as the man seemed to grip his hand for an incredibly awkward amount of time, the look he gave staring at his hand and skin was enough to creep anyone out.

Ellie wondered if it really was nice to meet him, but all she did was give a small nod as well, her face passive as she simply said, “Hello.”

Dan spoke. “Nice grip you go there son, and your skin color, why I have not had such a good grip from someone with that skin tone since that stabbing vic on Osiris decades back…. Man she had a grip on her…… rigamortis and what not.”

Low glanced down at their hands. “Gonna need that back, or I’m going to have to start charging by the minute.” he said. If felt awkward, that look made his stomach churn a bit.

As Ellie observed this exchange she couldn’t help but wonder if everyone in Kitsune’s sphere was so prone to extremes. She certainly never knew what to expect, and couldn’t have guessed this was who they would be dealing with. She only hoped they could get the fuel and get a move on.

“Well on to business, that’s why you’re here” Daniel began “ Now as I said in my wave fuel out here is at a premium, it runs about twenty two times the rate you would find on most worlds” he looked to the captain “And I can assure you, you will not find a better rate than what I’m given ya, what with you hauling this sorry sack around.” pointing to kit.

Ellie’s eyebrow lifted, as she registered this news. She said aside to Low and Kitsune, “Or last job won’t cover that.”

“Maybe we could come to an agreement, you got anything you need moved off world?” he asked. “Maybe we can haggle on that price a bit?” Low asked taking a few steps away for comfort.

“Well to be honest folks I don't need anything moved off world, Most of my business is here on Harvest but as I am sure Kit knows I am the local Sheriff for these here parts, and I don't have the manpower to tend to all that needs tending too. Ifen you all need work I just got landed with a missing person's case that we just don't have time for. Daughter of a landowner here in my county…… course there's other work to be had here too.” Handing Kit a pad from the business lady. “One of our county’s wealthier citizens is hiring a mess load of hired guns, says to protect his mine and what not. Couple banks who could use extra hands during their pay day delivery….” leaving it at that for them to look it over.

Kit looked at the job offerings, there was a few but one listing caught his eye, not a single viewing, and the posting only said we need help but we can't pay much. He handed the pad over to the captain.

Her eyes skimmed the list. They didn’t have time to work for a mine. And she tried not to get involved with payrolls, it was like painting a big target on your back, messy. “Any kind of reward in the missing persons case?” she asked without looking up from the list.

“Oh aye they are offering pay that would damn near cover your fuel cost, but I warn ya I don’t think it’s a missing persons. We don't have missing persons here on Harvest, it's likely she ran away off world or got knocked up by some rich fella and he's keeping her round till he has what's owed him. She went missing near Clint, a small town a few miles west of here. If that's where you're heading I suggest you stick to your task and don't let the people there try to get you to do their side jobs. Every time I go there they hound me to no end.”

Clint was the name of the town on the help request on the job listing Kit realized.

Finally Ellie looked up at the guys, she handed the list to Low and asked them both, “Well what do you guys think? Whatever we do, we’re going to be working the job together so I’m open to input here.”

“We could pool all the money and side money we got from Vegas and pay for the gas but I am pretty sure once we get back we will be stranded on vegas…. Not a place we want to be seeing how we just high tailed it out of there” kit noted. “So i say we take the job find her and get a going. Like he said she probably left or is with someone, either way we can find out.”

Ellie sighed, “The problem is you don’t get good reward money for telling them she left with someone, you get good reward money for finding the missing person and getting them home safe. I don’t want to waste my time. We have our own missing person to find, remember?”

“You’re right, but I figure getting this off his plate and her parents off his back will ingratiate him to use some what, perhaps enough to get us the fuel we need and money left over for fuel once there.” Kit hoped, though he thought he hoped the money they got on vegas would have been enough for fuel too and look where that got him.

“If we don’t find her, we don’t get the parents off his back or the job off his plate,” Ellie remained unconvinced.

Low finally decided to chime in listening to the two go back and forth for a time. “How about we go inquire on the details of that, see if there is a deadline to complete that missing persons thing, do another task or two that will get us some quick money now and then get off this rock?” he shrugged. “Kill two birds with one stone, and get paid on the back end.”

“Well it seems you both want to take the missing persons case, so let’s go ahead,” she was hesitant still, but not because she didn’t like the work. She had enough experience with this sort of business back on Whitefall. She just wasn’t entirely convinced they weren’t going on a snipe hunt.

“No, not what I meant. I said we should at least get more information on it to see if it’s something viable we can do on the long term, that kind of pay we shouldn’t just pass on lightly.” he said.

“Either way it’s the only job that pays enough, and doesn’t require a long stay…. Aside from bank work.” Kit responded. “And they do that whole taxes thing, background checks and that pesky reporting to the FDIC stuff.”

She shrugged, “Let’s do it. We can look for other work while we are at it, like Low suggested.”
Teddy

Post by Teddy »

Theodore nodded in affirmation to Ellie's request, and while the three of them walked towards the group that approached, creating a small buffer zone, he stayed back. He leaned back on the Mule, and pulled a knife and a piece of wood off the ground, and began strike the two together; wildling it down. Every fair sized piece that came off, he picked at his teeth with. He looked very casual and very indifferent to what was going on, very much a hired hand. While his sidearm sat comfy at his side, and his shotgun slung over his back, he didn't look threatening, he looked bored.

That was the idea.

He'd learned long ago, a woman could be just as dangerous as a man, even more so, and he didn't want to take any challenges. He watched the group talk, and took a drink from his canteen. There was an exchange of information of some kind, but he kept his eyes open on his surroundings; without actually appearing to do so.

When the group returned with information and their decision, Teddy commented lowly to Ellie; "Not sure what ya'll were talking about, but we weren't the only ones present to it." When Ellie looked at him, he continued. "About a mile, mile and half, off to the West, in the tree's behind the paired boulders; caught me a glint of a reflection. As soon as you three started heading back, I could see a small dust cloud and trail heading away." He took another swig from his canteen, never fully looking at the direction of the odd activity, just in case they were still being watched.

He flicked a piece of the wood from his teeth, into the ground. "So, what did our cohort's friend have to say? Anything interesting?"

Kitsune

Post by Kitsune »

Kit looked to the direction Teddy had advised of a glint then back to the group. "You three head on back to the ship and get what ever you need I will talk to Dark and see what's going on and maybe coax some more information out of him related to this job." Tipping his hat to them he turned and headed back towards Dark's entourage.

"So you're the Law-Man, what made you go back?" Kit asked Dark.

"Well you know, you just cant get it out of your blood no matter how hard it gets."

"I know what you mean."

"I see that, bounty hunter P.I., Has to be entertaining"

"Not as much as you think some times."
Playing coy

"Then why not join up here, you know I don't care about your past."
placing his index finger on kits chest " and I know a guy, highly regarded here who could perhaps pull some strings and get you on the payroll, I have it on good authority he's the Law around these parts."

"Perhaps, It would be good to get back into uniform again" Kit knew he was not going to join up, he had something more important to do.

"To be honest though I really could use a man like you right about now. You know that Kid your sister hung out with back in the day, the lanky one with the red curly hair, loads of freckles. Newton."

Kit immediately snapped to and had a serious look on his face at the mention of his sister and her associates.

"He's here on planet, got here nine days ago and since his arrival our homicide rate has gone up more then 800%. I hear he's an arms merchant these day's and I am willing to bet a years wages, some of those deaths were product demonstration."

"You think he's selling to the guy hiring out all your guns?"

"Absolutely, I just cant prove it." shifting slightly to one leg "and around these parts you don't do anything with out proof"

"What is going on, on this rock"
Kit mubled to him self. He might not have gotten anything on the missing persons, but he got much much more.
LiamWhelan

Post by LiamWhelan »

Low watched the rest of the exchange in relative silence, slowly surveying the area. It was pretty wide open for long stretches, he didn't care entirely much for such wide open spaces usually meant it was easy for people to see you, shoot you from a distance. The conversation of weapons and exotic ones at that did catch his ear, which meant they should be expecting anything while on this visit to the planet. While he was somewhat excited to be doing something for the greater good, he had started questioning at least in his head if they should be really encouraging or working with this man, but they were desperate for fuel.

Things started to stand out to Low, the three ladies, this man called Darkness. Something didn't feel like it was adding up to him, the hair on the back of his neck was starting to bristle. He narrowed his eyes and began to survey the distance. He was certain he had seen something but his mind wasn't quite sure what it was.

Low moved closer to the Mule, now leaning against the side watching. Looking for a glimpse of whatever it was he thought he saw, 'Your seeing things' his voice echoed in his head. That itching feeling didn't go away. He was clearly preoccupied with this, all the conversation around him faded into the background until all he could hear was the rhythmic breathing.

He was scanning, when his eyes stopped catching just a hint of a dust cloud not far from a Tree in the distance. "You expecting any other company Dark?" he asked slowly pulling the rifle from his shoulder, slipping a scope from a jacket pocket he slipped it into the socket spinning it and locking it into place. Flipping the caps open on the scope and using the hood of the Mule to steady himself he took a glance through the scope in the distance hoping to catch a look at what was out there.
Last edited by LiamWhelan on Sat Nov 04, 2017 9:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kitsune

Post by Kitsune »

Kit's mind unsettled but he overcame it so that he might continue on with his information gathering. "Could there be a rival group apposing the guy on the job posting?"

"Anything's possible but I don't think anyone on harvest could compete..... But that's besides the point lets get you back onto the missing persons case for me. "

"Alright"

"the data is all there in the file, but I would recommend going back to follow up with the family and friends your self, see if anything new has developed or if their stories have changed."

still a bit of his brain preoccupied the moment his sister was mentioned. "Roger standard fact finding I can do."

"Great this will be a real big help you just don't know."

Lows voice rang out from the mule in mid conversation. "You expecting any other company Dark?"

Both Kit and Dark stopped talking, Kit instinctively drawing his weapon at the tone in Lows voice, the girls and Dark moving with purpose to the mule for cover. Kit moving to a large decretive rock formation meters away from the mule. Now kit would really like to have had a long rifle on him of any sort.

"Not on that ridge, That's just beyond my property line. But the Man who owns that parcel is 98 years old and I have not seen him off of his porch since I arrived."
LiamWhelan

Post by LiamWhelan »

Low stared intently through his scope scanning the ridge line in the distance. "Whatever it is, its not moving slowly. But it's putting up very little debris. So its not a hover or grav vehicle. Could be on foot, or in a rolling vehicle. Moving too fast to be on foot, heading..." he waited for a moment for another drift of dust to rise, and he indicated away. "I can't see anyone though. They know the property well enough to keep hidden." he said glancing over at Darkness. "You have this problem regularly?" he resumed looking through the scope, but began scanning down the ridge the other direction just in case this was a decoy.

"Hard to say, I've done my fair share of righting wrongs, and in doing so rubbed people wrong in the process." he said squinting to look into the distance himself. "Probably just came looking at what came down out of the sky." he said jerking a thumb into the distance at the Jenny.

Low nodded. "Let's hope that's the case. Last we need is more trouble." Low said.
Kitsune

Post by Kitsune »

"We good?" peaking slightly over the rock

"I think so" Low replied

"You think so?" Kit replied continuing to scan the hill. Well sitting here isn't going to get anything done, he thought. so slowly he stood up.

"Yea the dust plums are heading away, I think they are leaving."

"Good thing they are not LEAVING a sharp shooter behind." holstering his weapon "lets get back to the ship and update the crew."
LiamWhelan

Post by LiamWhelan »

Low nodded, and lowered his rifle. "Yeah, that sounds like as good a plan as any." he slipped it into the vehicle in a safe but handy place. "I don't like being out in the open like this anyhow!" He glanced over at this Danny Dark'o regarding him with a leery eye as he slid into the drivers seat. "Thanks for the hospitality." he gave nod and a tug on his hat, then did the same towards his companions. "Ladies."

Glancing at the others he waited till they all mounted up, and started up the engine. He couldn't shake the nagging feeling that this was not going to go well. Time was of the essence and this random watchful eye was not a good omen, spys never equaled good things. He waited a moment letting the vehicle warm up, then hit the gas sending them on their trek back to Jenny.

Return to “Big Damn Heroes”