SAW [Week 64 - "Home of the Strange"]

Take a walk in Tin Pan Alley, the area's most famous music district.

Moderator: Community Team

speedchuck
Knight of No Renown
Posts in topic: 134

Re: SAW [Week 39 - "A Piece of Strange"]

Post by speedchuck »

Spoiler: show
I'm throwing all of my album reviews into the first post I made in this topic. That way I can avoid derailing discussion.
SIGNATURE:
Speedchuck wins the "Jack Torrance Has Always Been The Caretaker" award.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImage
nutella
Connoisseur of Spice
Posts in topic: 177
Preferred Pronouns: she/her/hers

Post by nutella »

OK this is easily one of the best hip-hop albums I have ever heard, both musically and lyrically. I've been following along with the lyrics and annotations on Genius and this is.... this is good shit. The themes and stories and messages, the samples and instrumental bits and the delivery, everything about this is awesome. 5 stars.
to the spoiler go the victories:
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image ImageImage Image Image Image
Image Image Image Image
Image Image Image Image Image
Image Image
Boomslang
Drug Dealer
Posts in topic: 10

Post by Boomslang »

JaggedJimmyJay wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2017 3:45 pm A Piece of Strange is one of my favorite albums in hip hop, perhaps as high as the top two or three. I'm glad to be able to bring it to SAW to continue the recent trend toward diversifying the set here after the likes of Drake and even the Charlie Brown jazz album. This album is very much aligned in the conscious, political portion of the hip hop spectrum, and though it does at times embrace the harsh lyrical nature that some people struggle with -- it's a necessary component of the passions being expressed here in my opinion. Moreover, alongside Outkast these guys are the best evidence I know of that hip hop music need not be perceived as a battle of the American coasts. These are southerners, and they're fantastic.
Well said. Finished my listen earlier, and I was struck by how easily they incorporated different voices throughout the album. "The Gates" feat. Tonedeff was probably the best example of that, with absolutely seamless back-and-forth between two perspectives. "America Loves Gangsters" feat. Tim Means also employed the guest star to wonderful effect, expanding the themes of the first two verses into full geopolitical reality. And I listened to Immortal Technique a lot in college, so great to hear him as well.

Easily 4.5 stars. I can see this creeping up on repeated listening and studying the lyrics.
G-Man
Made Man
Posts in topic: 252

Post by G-Man »

Hiding this inside a spoiler tag so as to not disrupt the current discussion. My apologies again for being away and falling behind again.

A Charlie Brown Christmas
Thanks to growing up in the age of the VCR, I could watch the 'classic' Christmas special movies any time I wanted during the Christmas season. Rudolph, Santa Claus is Coming to Town, The Grinch (not the Jim Carrey abomination), Frosty, The Year Without a Santa Claus (represent!), and A Charlie Brown Christmas were all on constantly when my dad didn't want to watch something. My mom grew up with these films and she loved sharing them over and over with us. I also grew up before the sad decline of the Sunday comics, so Charlie Brown and the Peanuts gang are a part of my DNA.

What's interesting is that my love for this album really only began five years ago when it was reissued and sold for cheap in music stores everywhere as a holiday stocking stuffer must-have and I requested it. The sweetness and genuineness of A Charlie Brown Christmas comes through in this score. And yet, the success of the Charlie Brown series of TV specials owes a lot to the music, which sets a unique attitude and vibe that is instantly nostalgic. The music doesn't call to mind exact scenes in which the tunes appear like some soundtracks do but it evokes the experience of the movie itself, which I think is a special quality.

This is one of those albums that I can't just pick three from. Most of these tracks stand alone well but also flow together so seamlessly that I can't separate them. I spent two straight weeks listening to this album in the car. My 2-year-old can now identify "Chahlee Bwown moosic" when she hears just about any of these songs. As I said before, it's one of the few Christmas albums I find end-to-end essential. I love it.

"O Tannenbaum" adds hipness to an otherwise bland song. "My Little Drum" is one of only two takes on "The Little Drummer Boy" that I even like (possibly due to the fact that the claymation TV movie was equal parts creepy and boring). "Christmas Time Is Here," both the vocal and instrumental track are quintessential winter and/or Christmas pieces. It's the kind of piece you want to play over old, audioless home movies of the kids ripping open presents while you sit and drink hot cocoa.

The original tracks are superb and the jazz-injected Christmas standards are a refreshing take on songs that get abused by countless recording artists for the sake of a Christmas single. The two tracks that stick out as oddballs to me are "Hark, the Herald Angels Sing" and "Für Elise." The former because the shout-singing is a little grating. The latter because it's not connected to the season at all.

I could talk about the specific elements in each track but we've already moved on and you guys already know I love this album. I feel a little bad now that my top three albums so far are all my submissions but perhaps that shouldn't be surprising.
G-Man Scale: 4.26 out of 5
Rico Scale: 4.5 out of 5
A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V
My Banners:
Word to your mom- my spreadsheet's the bomb
I got more rhymes than BoB's host Dom
JaggedJimmyJay
The Brassiere of The Syndicate
Posts in topic: 356
Preferred Pronouns: He/him/his/himself
Aka: Jay | JJJ | J3 | 3J | jagged | Jimmy | KOFM

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

I'm pleased that y'all have enjoyed the album so far. Thanks for giving it a listen! :)
Overall: 73-57 (.56) | Town 49-41 (.54) | Mafia 18-11 (.62) | Independent 6-4 (.60)

The Syndicate: Town 23-26; Mafia 10-5; Indy 5-1 | RateYourMusic: Town 14-13; Mafia 5-4; Indy 0-3 | Mafia Universe: Town 6-0; Mafia 1-0 | Student Doctor Network: Town 2-1; Mafia 1-0 | HeroClixRealms: Town 1-0; Mafia 0-1 | Bulbagarden: Mafia 0-1; Indy 1-0 | 2+2 POG: Town 1-0 | Naruto Forums: Town 0-1 | Personality Café: Town 1-0 | Vendetta Strada: Town 0-1 | Mafia451: Town 1-0 | Wintreath: Mafia 1-0

Awards:

The Syndicate

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Student Doctor Network

ImageImageImageImageImage

Rate Your Music

Best Townie, Maffies 4, 8 and 9
Best Scum, Maffies 3
Best Moderator, Maffies 8 and 9
Most Valuable Player, Maffies 7 and 9
Best Roleplay, Maffies 4 and 6
Spirit Award, Maffies 9
Hall of Fame inductee, Maffies 4

Mafia Universe

Mafia Championship Finalist, 2015 and 2020
Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage[-Mass Effect Mafia banner-]ImageImageImageImage
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum
Posts in topic: 377
Preferred Pronouns: any/all
Aka: Tangy

Post by Tangrowth »

Relistened to A Piece of Strange again today. Excellent album. I was a bit torn (between 3.5 and 4.0), but I ended up giving it the strongest possible 3.5. :beer:
speedchuck
Knight of No Renown

Post by speedchuck »

I did not expect to like A Piece of Strange, not knowing the genre at all. So far it's fantastic. It looks like it's going to be a 3.5 or 4, but I'm only a few songs in. I may not finish in time, but I just wanted to say thanks for submitting it!
SIGNATURE:
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImage
JaggedJimmyJay

Re: SAW [Week 40 - "Feathergun"]

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

Week 40: Rishloo - Feathergun

Submitted by speedchuck

Available on YouTube and Spotify
Overall: 73-57 (.56) | Town 49-41 (.54) | Mafia 18-11 (.62) | Independent 6-4 (.60)

The Syndicate: Town 23-26; Mafia 10-5; Indy 5-1 | RateYourMusic: Town 14-13; Mafia 5-4; Indy 0-3 | Mafia Universe: Town 6-0; Mafia 1-0 | Student Doctor Network: Town 2-1; Mafia 1-0 | HeroClixRealms: Town 1-0; Mafia 0-1 | Bulbagarden: Mafia 0-1; Indy 1-0 | 2+2 POG: Town 1-0 | Naruto Forums: Town 0-1 | Personality Café: Town 1-0 | Vendetta Strada: Town 0-1 | Mafia451: Town 1-0 | Wintreath: Mafia 1-0

Awards:

The Syndicate

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Student Doctor Network

Rate Your Music

Best Scum, Maffies 3
Spirit Award, Maffies 9

Mafia Universe

Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage[-Mass Effect Mafia banner-]ImageImageImageImage
speedchuck
Knight of No Renown

Post by speedchuck »

Rishloo - Feathergun

This alum was introduced to me by a friend, a couple of years ago. I heard it, thought it was noisy but interesting, then forgot about it for a year. At some point the songs came back into my head. I asked about them looked them up, and began playing them at work on my headphones. With every listen I enjoyed the songs more, though I can't point to why or how. They are progressive, but not unduly so. Heavy, but not grating. Complex, but not up their own ass. Pleasant at times, but not beautiful. Hard-edged, but not unkind. Lyrically interesting, but not entirely profound. Full of variety, but in no way that is ultimately surprising.

And I suppose that the lack of extremes fits in the way that I like Rishloo, or specifically this album. It's different and interesting and fun to listen to, whether intently or in the background. Whatever I'm in the mood for, I can always listen to it. I would put Rishloo near the center of my musical tastes, a midpoint that is high in quality. All of my other musical tastes branch out from elements of this style of music.

I suppose that is why I submitted this. I'm curious to see what everyone thinks of it. I would give it a 4.5/5.

:beer: Here's hoping you enjoy it.
SIGNATURE:
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImage
nutella
Connoisseur of Spice

Post by nutella »

Meh. First listen didn't really do anything for me. In the middle of a second listen and I'm really just bored. :shrug:
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image ImageImage Image Image Image
Image Image Image Image
Image Image
JaggedJimmyJay

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

I got a listen in today of Feathergun. The music definitely recalls Tool, in a less abrasive and complex way. I thought it was a nice enough sound, though it didn't really make an impact. It was background material while I worked on other things and it served in that role adequately.

Awards:

The Syndicate

Student Doctor Network

Rate Your Music

Best Scum, Maffies 3
Spirit Award, Maffies 9

Mafia Universe

Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

G-Man
Made Man
Posts in topic: 252

Post by G-Man »

Flying Lotus was nice but it’s hard to pin down ratings when some of the tracks are so short.

Cunninglinguists was good. I liked their use of Arthur Brown. What are the odds of that sample?

Rishloo definitely sounds like Tool. Just did my first listen today though, so too early to tell. Tool never did much for me but I want to give this an honest chance.
A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V
My Banners:
Word to your mom- my spreadsheet's the bomb
I got more rhymes than BoB's host Dom
JaggedJimmyJay

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

I think we should give Rishloo another week. It was interrupted by the holidays.

Awards:

The Syndicate

Student Doctor Network

Rate Your Music

Best Scum, Maffies 3
Spirit Award, Maffies 9

Mafia Universe

Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

JaggedJimmyJay wrote: Mon Dec 25, 2017 8:41 pm I think we should give Rishloo another week. It was interrupted by the holidays.
Good plan, Jay.

My apologies for not getting around to it yet myself; I've been pretty busy, but I have still been listening to a ton of music, just trying to get in whatever last minute 2017 releases I can. :p

Intrigued to hear Rishloo!
JaggedJimmyJay

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

I'm giving Rishloo another spin today. While the Tool parallel holds, there is one advantage they enjoy here: the vocalist is much less irritating than Maynard James Keenan.

Awards:

The Syndicate

Student Doctor Network

Rate Your Music

Best Scum, Maffies 3
Spirit Award, Maffies 9

Mafia Universe

Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

Epignosis
Skeletor
Posts in topic: 93

Post by Epignosis »

Stream my music for free: https://epignosis.bandcamp.com/
A Person
Loan Shark
Posts in topic: 29

Re: SAW [Week 38 - "Cosmogramma"]

Post by A Person »

MovingPictures07 wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2017 1:20 am Submission: MovingPictures07 - Ryoji Ikeda - dataplex / 2005 / Microsound / 20 tracks / 55:31 / YouTube and Spotify

This one should be interesting. :mafia:
I may have to make a comeback for this one.

As an aside, I used to not be much of a fan of Cosmogramma, but last time I listened I liked it more than I remembered having before.
JaggedJimmyJay

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

Best part of Feathergun is definitely the final outro.

Awards:

The Syndicate

Student Doctor Network

Rate Your Music

Best Scum, Maffies 3
Spirit Award, Maffies 9

Mafia Universe

Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

Ricochet
Uomini D'onore (Man of Honor)
Posts in topic: 185

Post by Ricochet »

Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

Good to see you back, [mention]Ricochet[/mention]!

Also, [mention]A Person[/mention], do it.

Listened to Rishloo... I had the opposite reaction to the vocalist than Jay did; Maynard is acceptable IMO, while this guy is less than thrilling. Album was alright overall though, pretty inoffensive but didn't really grab me in any way.
JaggedJimmyJay

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

Sorry I forgot to update this. Getting on it.

Awards:

The Syndicate

Student Doctor Network

Rate Your Music

Best Scum, Maffies 3
Spirit Award, Maffies 9

Mafia Universe

Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

JaggedJimmyJay

Re: SAW [Week 41 - "The Goat Rodeo Sessions"]

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

Week 41: Chris Thile, Edgar Meyer, Stuart Duncan, Yo-Yo Ma - The Goat Rodeo Sessions

Submitted by nutella

Available on Youtube (though this playlist seems to be missing the last track for some reason as well as the bonus tracks but they can be found separately) and Spotify (also missing bonus tracks :( they're really good though and I'm used to them as they're on the CD edition that my mom owns)

Awards:

The Syndicate

Student Doctor Network

Rate Your Music

Best Scum, Maffies 3
Spirit Award, Maffies 9

Mafia Universe

Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

nutella
Connoisseur of Spice

Post by nutella »

lol that you copied my whole ramble into the post :p

anyway I love this album!
Image Image Image Image
Image Image
JaggedJimmyJay

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

I listened just now and it was enjoyable. I was focused on a task I was doing and it made good music to accompany that, though I ended up losing attention on the sound about halfway through it. I'll need to listen again to get a more proper take. I did like it though and would start it at 3 stars.

Awards:

The Syndicate

Student Doctor Network

Rate Your Music

Best Scum, Maffies 3
Spirit Award, Maffies 9

Mafia Universe

Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

Ricochet

Post by Ricochet »

Recorded back in November:

Ricochet

Post by Ricochet »

Recorded back in November, too:

Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

Great stuff as always, Rico! Would be intrigued to hear your take on the other stuff you missed, but would totally understand if you don't have the time to video them.
JaggedJimmyJay

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

I'm listening to TGRS again tonight, and it's very pleasant. I wish I could offer more substantive or interesting feedback than that, but it's honestly all I've got. This is the sort of thing I'd be glad to play while I am busy with something, as it'd probably help me to maintain some focus, but beyond that I am not sure I'd listen much more. It's a good album though and I appreciate the submission nutella. :)

Awards:

The Syndicate

Student Doctor Network

Rate Your Music

Best Scum, Maffies 3
Spirit Award, Maffies 9

Mafia Universe

Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

JaggedJimmyJay

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

RIP SAW

Awards:

The Syndicate

Student Doctor Network

Rate Your Music

Best Scum, Maffies 3
Spirit Award, Maffies 9

Mafia Universe

Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

Sorry, it's been a busy week. Just got done with The Goat Rodeo Sessions now. I'd give it a strong 3.5. Pretty damn enjoyable. Definitely will be revisiting it. Thanks for the suggestion, nutella. :D
Boomslang
Drug Dealer
Posts in topic: 10

Post by Boomslang »

Just dropping in to say I'm a huge Goat Rodeo Sessions fan. To my mind, Chris Thile's work with Punch Brothers has always been about breaking down the classical/bluegrass boundary — "Another New World" and "The Blind Leaving the Blind" are the best examples of that. Partnering with Yo-Yo Ma and Edgar Duncan makes that trend even more explicit. I think the album could have benefited from more time spent composing, but that's what you get when you have a supergroup trying to work together.
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

Boomslang wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2018 8:35 pm Just dropping in to say I'm a huge Goat Rodeo Sessions fan. To my mind, Chris Thile's work with Punch Brothers has always been about breaking down the classical/bluegrass boundary — "Another New World" and "The Blind Leaving the Blind" are the best examples of that. Partnering with Yo-Yo Ma and Edgar Duncan makes that trend even more explicit. I think the album could have benefited from more time spent composing, but that's what you get when you have a supergroup trying to work together.
I agree with this.
JaggedJimmyJay

Re: SAW [Week 42 - "Somewhere to Elsewhere"]

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

Week 42: Kansas - Somewhere to Elsewhere

Submitted by Epignosis

Awards:

The Syndicate

Student Doctor Network

Rate Your Music

Best Scum, Maffies 3
Spirit Award, Maffies 9

Mafia Universe

Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

dunya
GOAT Whisperer
Posts in topic: 43

Post by dunya »

Chris Thile, Edgar Meyer, Stuart Duncan, Yo-Yo Ma - The Goat Rodeo Sessions

really nice listening experience, and there's obvious talent in there but it got a little bit samey to me so it's something I'd listen to while working on something else and don't need to be distracted by the music, I guess. If I gave it all focus, it would lose points and get a bit tedious for not keeping my attention. I liked how the album sounded almost unrehearsed though, like a huge improvisational gig. I dug that. I'll give it a 3/5.
dunya
GOAT Whisperer

Post by dunya »

CunninLynguists - A Piece of Strange

man, this takes me back to 2007. A piece of genius production and lyrics was unravelled before me by my dear friend at the time, Sunshine. A story being told, section by section. Amazing, well thought out collabs too with Immortal Technique, Tonedeff and the amazing Cee Lo Green. It was deep, and it really hit me and one of the reasons why I love rap. It's funny because Sunshine swore to me back then that the album would be a classic in 10 years and guess what, it is considered a classic today! Impossible to even pick a favorite off this album, they're all epic tracks and the fact they're all together is what makes them even more great: Never Know Why, Nothing to Give, Caved In, Hourglass, The Gates....ughhhh. I liked their funnier debut too, but this album was their introduction to the serious world of hiphop where people actually began to give 2 shits about them, underground hiphop critics and mainstream hiphop critics alike. The best southern hip hop album released in the last 15 years? yea. absolutely.

5/5 and a top album for me
dunya
GOAT Whisperer

Post by dunya »

sorry I'm inconsistent in contributing, I listen to most but sometimes I just don't have much to say what other people haven't already said and I don't need to be a parrot :p
speedchuck
Knight of No Renown

Post by speedchuck »

Somewhere to Elsewhere is actually my second favorite Kansas album. Which is high on up there.
SIGNATURE:
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImage
Epignosis
Skeletor

Post by Epignosis »

speedchuck wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:26 pm Somewhere to Elsewhere is actually my second favorite Kansas album. Which is high on up there.
And first?
speedchuck
Knight of No Renown

Post by speedchuck »

Epignosis wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:31 pm
speedchuck wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:26 pm Somewhere to Elsewhere is actually my second favorite Kansas album. Which is high on up there.
And first?
I'm a normie for saying this, but Leftoverture. Magnum Opus and Miracles out of Nowhere are a couple of my favorite songs.
SIGNATURE:
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImage
Epignosis
Skeletor

Post by Epignosis »

speedchuck wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:40 pm
Epignosis wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:31 pm
And first?
I'm a normie for saying this, but Leftoverture. Magnum Opus and Miracles out of Nowhere are a couple of my favorite songs.
"Miracles Out of Nowhere" was the song that made me go, "I want to play music like that."

Nothing wrong with Leftoverture at all.

Somewhere to Elsewhere is my favorite Kansas album for a lot of reasons. First, it was a reunion of the original members. Second, Kerry Livgren wrote all the songs (and that's no offense to Steve Walsh- he's a great songwriter too- see Smackin the Clowns), but Livgren to me was always the creative genius in the group.

What may interest you is that I have read Livgren's biography, and some of these musical passages were written AGES ago- in fact, the middle section to "The Coming Dawn (Thanatopsis)" was performed by the original Kansas band (known now as Proto-Kaw) here:

Such a rich album with a lot of history in it.
speedchuck
Knight of No Renown

Post by speedchuck »

Epignosis wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:10 pm "Miracles Out of Nowhere" was the song that made me go, "I want to play music like that."

Nothing wrong with Leftoverture at all.

Somewhere to Elsewhere is my favorite Kansas album for a lot of reasons. First, it was a reunion of the original members. Second, Kerry Livgren wrote all the songs (and that's no offense to Steve Walsh- he's a great songwriter too- see Smackin the Clowns), but Livgren to me was always the creative genius in the group.

What may interest you is that I have read Livgren's biography, and some of these musical passages were written AGES ago- in fact, the middle section to "The Coming Dawn (Thanatopsis)" was performed by the original Kansas band (known now as Proto-Kaw) here:

Such a rich album with a lot of history in it.
That's fantastic.

I'm definitely giving Somewhere to elsewhere another listen this week.

On a side note: Icarus II is my alarm tone in the morning. So the opening has lost a bit of sheen.
SIGNATURE:
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImage
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

I was never a huge fan of Somewhere to Elsewhere (though I always liked it in the OK to decent range), and over the last handful of years my tastes have grown further and further away from "classic" prog so to speak, but all of that said I'm excited to revisit this one. Haven't even listened to Kansas in general in way too long.
speedchuck
Knight of No Renown

Post by speedchuck »

Somewhere to elsewhere starts with one of my favorite songs of all time. Icarus II is fantastic. I also love When The World Was Young, and Myriad. Perhaps you see the pattern. I like the faster or more power-driven tunes. The more ballad-y or slow tunes like Byzantium and Dissappearing Skin Tight Blues are merely amazing, and not my favorites.
To point out what I like about this music would be hard. It would be easier to say that these songs have nothing in them that I DON'T like. The instrumentation, alternately meaningful and clever lyrics, soulful (maybe that's the world I'm looking for) vocals and interesting rhythmic drum tracks that don't get too trashy or meaninglessly complex/noisy, all of it is what I want.
This is not my favorite Kansas album. It is my second favorite. If I took the half of this album I actually loved, or by itself with the additions of Down The Road, Icarus (Borne on Wings of Steel), Miracles out of Nowhere, Magnum Opus, and some classics like Wayward Son and Point of Know Return, it would not only be a 5.0, it would be my favorite album of all time.
So should I give this a 4.5 or 5.0? I lean toward 4.5. I want to save 5.0 for something that I come across that not only blows me away, but also does so consistently.
Giving it a 5.0 anyway.
SIGNATURE:
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImage
nutella
Connoisseur of Spice

Post by nutella »

Enjoyed my first listen. Loved the instrumentals right off the bat, less sold on the vocals.
Image Image Image Image
Image Image
Epignosis
Skeletor

Post by Epignosis »

nutella wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:59 pm Enjoyed my first listen. Loved the instrumentals right off the bat, less sold on the vocals.
Steve Walsh didn't used to sound like that.

The main vocalist you're probably referring to (the one with the serious rasp) is seriously the same guy who sang "Dust in the Wind."

Same guy.

That's drugs and alcohol and crazy-ass stage theatrics over decades at work, children. :nicenod:
JaggedJimmyJay

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

I listened earlier today and thought it was pretty good. The best brand of prog, in my opinion, is the one which embraces accessibility without also compromising the core sounds associated with the genre. Kansas seems solid in that role. 3.5 stars.

Awards:

The Syndicate

Student Doctor Network

Rate Your Music

Best Scum, Maffies 3
Spirit Award, Maffies 9

Mafia Universe

Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

I should get to it tomorrow; I'm in the midst of a Tull discography run, but after that it'll be StE.
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

I'm thinking light 3.5 on StE. Steve Walsh's vocals definitely aren't what they used to be which is a shame and a bit distracting, but the compositions are generally good. Icarus II is the highlight. Maybe the album is a bit too long though.

Given I just finished Tull I'm not too far off from hitting Kansas in my reassessment/discography runs anyway, so it'll be cool to revisit it again alongside the rest of their discography.
JaggedJimmyJay

Re: SAW [Week 43 - "dataplex"]

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

Week 43: Ryoji Ikeda - dataplex

Submitted by MovingPictures07

Awards:

The Syndicate

Student Doctor Network

Rate Your Music

Best Scum, Maffies 3
Spirit Award, Maffies 9

Mafia Universe

Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Re: SAW [Week 43 - "dataplex"]

Post by Tangrowth »

Yay, dataplex! I love this album. I don't want to say anything about it in detail for now; it's unconventional and I'm curious to see how you all will take to it. I have plenty of thoughts on it though.

And as always, don't be afraid to be honest. :p

Return to “Tin Pan Alley”