Nutella
No votes
Colonialbob
17%
Sig
No votes
Kites
No votes
The suspense is killing me (host/dead/non)
72%

Total votes: 18
Dragon D. Luffy
The Pirate
Posts in topic: 662
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him/His

Re: Fire Emblem Draft Mafia [Game Over]

Post by Dragon D. Luffy »

Well I, for one, am happy that we managed to make a civ advantage out of one of the worst starts I've seen in a game.

It's not every year we see a mafia game with two huge comebacks (one from civs, and another from baddies).

It's a testament to the skill and effort of both sides, imo.
Ricochet
Uomini D'onore (Man of Honor)
Posts in topic: 14

Post by Ricochet »

Dragon D. Luffy wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:39 pm Also interesting how all of the new mods happened to be the scum MVPs of this game.
I failed to roll scum in two years of modding, so clearly an ideal improvement.
colonialbob
Loan Shark
Posts in topic: 563
Preferred Pronouns: He/his/him

Post by colonialbob »

JaggedJimmyJay wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:10 pm BTW: I apologize to nobody. I was dead wrong about dunya, and I will accept the egg on my face for that.

Otherwise, I was mislynched for suspecting the rest of the mafia team.
By 6 townies and 0 mafia :haha:
colonialbob
Loan Shark

Post by colonialbob »

speedchuck wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:19 pm BTW, I don't know what the protocol is, but I think Dunya deserves credit for this scum win as well.

I did decent enough, but if I had not inherited a supahtown role, I'd have probably kicked the bucket much, much earlier.
Fo sho. You definitely played well, don't get me wrong, but dunya set you up in a primo spot.
Jackofhearts2005
something funny
Posts in topic: 180
Preferred Pronouns: He/His/Him

Post by Jackofhearts2005 »

speedchuck wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:08 pm Dunya got replaced because of some knowledge slip IIRC.

One other moment I wanted to look at. I nearly toasted myself by claiming DDL was town when Dunya targeted elsewhere. I managed to sell it as a host error somehow, while at work and unable to access Chatzy.
Granted, I was never given Dunya's targets, but still. I used and abused host discretion there.

That is my proudest mafia moment now, eclipsing my Phenon: Origins role use. So many times I thought my goose was cooked this game, but that one takes the cake.
DDL was stared to be Nomadian in one of the host posts. Still, masterful recovery.

I would never confirm or deny a host mistake during the game that only one player claimed to have known about like a late or missed pm. So even if I didn’t feel bad about forgetting to give you Dunya’s N1 target, I wouldn’t have busted you.
Jackofhearts2005
something funny

FE Mafia Hypothetical Q&A

What was up with the Rico’s army and Badguyian army things?

Spoiler: show
Well, a key mechanic in the FE games is that you recruit neutral and enemy characters as the game goes along.

Each day, Ring could recruit a player into the Badguyia army and the mafia could control their night actions. This would mean that night actions were less reliable than anticipated. Anyone who was recruited would flip bad (but not as a general). The mafia started with the wyvern rider and a maybe a thief recruited but they couldn’t control the wyvern rider’s action.

The town could recruit players each night by vote, removing recruited and recruitable players so they couldn’t be controlled by the mafia. This also had a slight impact on Kite’s power (which couldn’t kill Rico’s army), could rearrange players, putting mages and archers next to or not next to the wyvern rider and would cause those characters to appear in the write up. That last bit was mostly flavor but did affect Epi’s lynch stop/masoning power, which masoned him with random players who weren’t in the host posts yet.

Rico started with the Jagen paladin and the Christmas cavaliers, which is standard for all GBA FE games.
Why couldn’t we lynch the players we wanted to?
Lots of vote manipulation.

Of course, there were the two thieves and promoted, they could each vote steal every night (the town was always a few phases closer to losing than they realized). There was also the Monk who had a conditional double vote, which turned into a straight double vote as a bishop.)

Sprityo had a double vote and had an extra vote on him as part of his background. Mac could gain a double vote if the next player after he voted voted the same way (Mac told Sprityo, who made a show of doing this). Bob had a one shot day power to steal the votes of all mercenaries (Quin, Nutella, Mac and an unused Wyvern background) but it never came into play because those roles were fake or dead. Quin (as a nod to Valder, the mad dog of Sacred Stones) could wound a player as a day power, giving them an extra vote. This wound would grow worse and become two extra votes, then three, etc every time his victim failed to vote or saved anyone from a nk or survived a nk.

Jimmy was lynched because of Quin/Middle’s wounding vote.

Dr White was lynched cause I was in a hurry and double counted Nutella’s vote, letting it stay on White and move to another player. Bob should have been lynched but as both were town, I let things be. Sorry, DrWhite.
Why did people keep failing? Was there a mass block or lightning rod?
Nothing so fancy. Almost all of the failures were related to horses. RDW and Marmot kept bodyguarding players the footmen were targeting and players didn’t realize Iron Dwarf (and later CBob) was on a horse. Some players were misdirected by the pegasi, the myrs and the mafia day bus drive into horses. Sig kept missing his rolls against the mage/archer next to him or his 75% chance and he also targeted bulletproof Nutella/Pinky. Bob’s jailkeep caused several fails.

Some players suspected the weapon’s triangle but it actually only affected one or two actions all game.
Epignosis
Skeletor
Posts in topic: 432

Re: Fire Emblem Draft Mafia [Day 11]

Post by Epignosis »

sprityo wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 5:57 pm Epi’s Test was correct
:noble:
JaggedJimmyJay wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 6:48 pm
Dragon D. Luffy wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 5:54 pm @JaggedJimmyJay

Your thesis has been disproven.
Nah. Nobody ever knows what my thesis is seemingly.

dunya and speedchuck both played wonderfully and they deserve a great deal of praise. dunya especially blew up this thread in a way I have never seen before, and it was probably the single best cycle of mafioso play I have observed as a player to this point. Awesome work, and from a player who has loneliness-and-cheesed in the past. Perhaps my theory in some capacity inspired the effort. :meany:

My thesis was never that this is impossible though. It was that it hardly ever happens.

It still hardly ever happens. I am unlikely to overhaul my perspective of the game of Mafia as a result of an outlier. I am already annoyed in advance at the tinfoil mislynches which will follow from this performance in future games. They're coming.

dunya is a very rare exception to a very reliable rule. And for that, she kicked my ass in this Mafia game. I tip the cap.

The replacement was never necessary though.
:meany:
Stream my music for free: https://epignosis.bandcamp.com/
nutella
Connoisseur of Spice
Posts in topic: 466
Preferred Pronouns: she/her/hers

Post by nutella »

Here are all the mafia team abilities:
Jackofhearts2005 wrote:Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:27 am Your promotion roles and backstory safeclaims.

Iron_Dwarf/Thumb - Great Knight (now mounted, now able to use swords, axes or lances)
Firm Rescue - Each night, you can push yourself in front of another player, misdirecting anyone who targets that player into targeting you instead.
Tough - You have two lives.
An Honorable Veteran - You cop as town/Allyia and track as having targeted the player of your choice. (PM me each night.)
Experienced - You cannot be misdirected. This includes busdrives, forces, pushes, etc.
Fakeclaim - Count on Me - A long time member of the Allyia army, you are known by all to be an example of selflessness and professionalism. If you target a townie with the same nationality as yours and nobody targets them with an offensive or investigative action, you will automatically fail.

Lapluie/Pointer - Rogue (still on foot, still swords only)
Sneaking and Stealing - Each night, you may target a player to learn their nationality and steal their vote.
A Rising Star - Instead of using your night power, you may kidnap a player. For the next two nights, that player is untargetable but NOT silenced. Anyone attempting to target your victim will be caught in a trap and lose their vote the next day. If anyone targets you with an offensive action during the next two nights, your victim will be freed. (There will be no clues that the player targeting you is responsible.) If your captive is not freed by the end of the second night (third, counting the night you kidnap them), you will kill them. This does not count as the mafia kill and does not require you to give up your night action or target your victim a second time. You may only have one captive at a time.
Silent - When making the mafia kill, trackers will fail to target you and each player targeting your target other than you will have a 50% chance to fail their night action.
Fakeclaim - Defector - You are a reluctant member of the Badguyia army but have decided to defect to the town. You have secret knowledge. The Badguyia army is made up of players chosen by the mafia. Their night actions are under mafia control except for the vigilante. They will flip bad regardless of their actual alignment. You start as part of the Badguyia army but you can choose your own night action.

Quin/MIddle - Swordmaster (still on foot, still swords only)
Threaten With Death - Each night, you may misdirect another player into the player of your choice.
Crits for Days, Brah - You have a 45% chance of killing your target.
A Mad Dog - When making the nightkill, you have a 50% chance to roleblock your target and anyone targeting you. The chance to roleblock each player is determined separately.
Wounding Strike - During the day, you may target another player to add one to their vote total for the rest of the game as if an additional player was voting for them. Each time this player ends the day without voting or without anyone voting for the same player they are and every time this player survives or prevents a nightkill by any means, they gain another permanent vote. You may not use this power again until the wounded player is dead.
Fake claim - Challenger - You are obsessed with becoming the greatest warrior in the world and will not back down from a fight no matter the cost. Instead of randomly misdirecting, you are a magnet, causing your target to target you. Your chance to nightkill is increased by 15%.

Dunya/Ring - Assassin (still on foot, still swords only)
Stealing Lives - At night, you may target a player to steal their vote.
Silence - You have a 30% chance of killing your target.
A Tragic Loyalist - If you are lynched, all townies will be roleblocked the following night.
Managing The Army - Each day phase, you may recruit someone from the player list (not Roy's army) into the Badguyia army up to a maximum of five players. Secretly, you pick their night target from now on. Publicly, they will appear as a reluctant recruit in the writeup, will flip bad if lynched and will show as part of the Badguyia army on the front page. If you use this on a teammate, their safeclaim character will be recruited in the writeup. Players may leave the Badguyia army through the night poll. If your recruit has a nightkill, you may not choose their action for them. If they have a chance to nightkill and succeed, they will target the player of their choice instead of the one you used.
Fakeclaim - Allyian Spy - Though you appear to be a mere thief, you’re actually a spy working for lord Sloonei. If you target an Allyian player, you will watch them instead of copping them or stealing their vote.

Nutella - Wyvern Knight (still flying, still lances only)
Threaten With Death - Each night, you may misdirect another player into the player of your choice.
Slayer - You have a 30% chance of killing your target.
A Mysterious Evil - You are immune to nightkill. You may not make a nightkill unless you are the last member of the mafia.
Pulling Strings - Each day you may preemptively busdrive two players. During the following night, all players targeting one of those players will target the other instead. The mafia may not nightkill either of these players.
Fakeclaim - Mercenary Sister - Though your sisters Elsie and Bunny disapprove, your tomboyish nature caused you to go off and join a mercenary company. You may not cast the first vote against another player. Once per game, you may steal another player's vote in addition to your normal night action.

So yeah, not only did I actually choose my redirect's target every night, I also had a busdrive (though since it was due at EOD I forgot to use it a bunch of times lol >_> I remembered it for a majority of the days though)
to the spoiler go the victories:
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image ImageImage Image Image Image
Image Image Image Image
Image Image Image Image Image
Image Image
nutella
Connoisseur of Spice

Post by nutella »

hey epi, how do you feel about that day 1 lynch stop now :meany:
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image ImageImage Image Image Image
Image Image Image Image
Image Image
Epignosis
Skeletor

Re: Fire Emblem Draft Mafia [Day 11]

Post by Epignosis »

Dragon D. Luffy wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:18 pm
sprityo wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 5:57 pm Epi’s Test was correct

Also “hey guys, speedchuck has been alive for awhile” and “there’s no way you could’ve lynched I_D without stealing my vote”

Smh
Statistics is a science for a reason.

His test was correct, but we directed our ire at Jay when we should have lynched dunya.
I figured they were teammates.

After lynching JJJ first, I felt like an imbecile, and let that sour my efforts.
Epignosis
Skeletor

Post by Epignosis »

nutella wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:11 pm hey epi, how do you feel about that day 1 lynch stop now :meany:
I already answered that. I would have done it regardless.
nutella
Connoisseur of Spice

Post by nutella »

also yeah I was the don!! proud of my picks :noble:
Image Image Image Image
Image Image
Dragon D. Luffy
The Pirate

nutella wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:11 pm Here are all the mafia team abilities:
Jackofhearts2005 wrote:Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:27 am Your promotion roles and backstory safeclaims.

Iron_Dwarf/Thumb - Great Knight (now mounted, now able to use swords, axes or lances)
Firm Rescue - Each night, you can push yourself in front of another player, misdirecting anyone who targets that player into targeting you instead.
Tough - You have two lives.
An Honorable Veteran - You cop as town/Allyia and track as having targeted the player of your choice. (PM me each night.)
Experienced - You cannot be misdirected. This includes busdrives, forces, pushes, etc.
Fakeclaim - Count on Me - A long time member of the Allyia army, you are known by all to be an example of selflessness and professionalism. If you target a townie with the same nationality as yours and nobody targets them with an offensive or investigative action, you will automatically fail.

Lapluie/Pointer - Rogue (still on foot, still swords only)
Sneaking and Stealing - Each night, you may target a player to learn their nationality and steal their vote.
A Rising Star - Instead of using your night power, you may kidnap a player. For the next two nights, that player is untargetable but NOT silenced. Anyone attempting to target your victim will be caught in a trap and lose their vote the next day. If anyone targets you with an offensive action during the next two nights, your victim will be freed. (There will be no clues that the player targeting you is responsible.) If your captive is not freed by the end of the second night (third, counting the night you kidnap them), you will kill them. This does not count as the mafia kill and does not require you to give up your night action or target your victim a second time. You may only have one captive at a time.
Silent - When making the mafia kill, trackers will fail to target you and each player targeting your target other than you will have a 50% chance to fail their night action.
Fakeclaim - Defector - You are a reluctant member of the Badguyia army but have decided to defect to the town. You have secret knowledge. The Badguyia army is made up of players chosen by the mafia. Their night actions are under mafia control except for the vigilante. They will flip bad regardless of their actual alignment. You start as part of the Badguyia army but you can choose your own night action.

Quin/MIddle - Swordmaster (still on foot, still swords only)
Crits for Days, Brah - You have a 45% chance of killing your target.
A Mad Dog - When making the nightkill, you have a 50% chance to roleblock your target and anyone targeting you. The chance to roleblock each player is determined separately.
Wounding Strike - During the day, you may target another player to add one to their vote total for the rest of the game as if an additional player was voting for them. Each time this player ends the day without voting or without anyone voting for the same player they are and every time this player survives or prevents a nightkill by any means, they gain another permanent vote. You may not use this power again until the wounded player is dead.
Fake claim - Challenger - You are obsessed with becoming the greatest warrior in the world and will not back down from a fight no matter the cost. Instead of randomly misdirecting, you are a magnet, causing your target to target you. Your chance to nightkill is increased by 15%.

Dunya/Ring - Assassin (still on foot, still swords only)
Stealing Lives - At night, you may target a player to steal their vote.
Silence - You have a 30% chance of killing your target.
A Tragic Loyalist - If you are lynched, all townies will be roleblocked the following night.
Managing The Army - Each day phase, you may recruit someone from the player list (not Roy's army) into the Badguyia army up to a maximum of five players. Secretly, you pick their night target from now on. Publicly, they will appear as a reluctant recruit in the writeup, will flip bad if lynched and will show as part of the Badguyia army on the front page. If you use this on a teammate, their safeclaim character will be recruited in the writeup. Players may leave the Badguyia army through the night poll. If your recruit has a nightkill, you may not choose their action for them. If they have a chance to nightkill and succeed, they will target the player of their choice instead of the one you used.
Fakeclaim - Allyian Spy - Though you appear to be a mere thief, you’re actually a spy working for lord Sloonei. If you target an Allyian player, you will watch them instead of copping them or stealing their vote.

Nutella - Wyvern Knight (still flying, still lances only)
Slayer - You have a 30% chance of killing your target.
A Mysterious Evil - You are immune to nightkill. You may not make a nightkill unless you are the last member of the mafia.
Pulling Strings - Each day you may preemptively busdrive two players. During the following night, all players targeting one of those players will target the other instead. The mafia may not nightkill either of these players.
Fakeclaim - Mercenary Sister - Though your sisters Elsie and Bunny disapprove, your tomboyish nature caused you to go off and join a mercenary company. You may not cast the first vote against another player. Once per game, you may steal another player's vote in addition to your normal night action.

So yeah, not only did I actually choose my redirect's target every night, I also had a busdrive (though since it was due at EOD I forgot to use it a bunch of times lol >_> I remembered it for a majority of the days though)
Hey guys I have a plan. Assuming mafia can't mess with it using abilities, all we gotta do is tie this lynch and scum will surely go down!
nutella
Connoisseur of Spice

Post by nutella »

Lol yeah the plan for Jay's lynch that ended up making gwil's thing pseudo-clear Dwarf because of Quin's extra vote was such a good feeling :haha:
Image Image Image Image
Image Image
Dragon D. Luffy
The Pirate

Also all the plans involving perfectly predicted night actions. :disappoint:
colonialbob
Loan Shark

Post by colonialbob »

Dragon D. Luffy wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:22 pm Also all the plans involving perfectly predicted night actions. :disappoint:
*shrug* I still think the plan worked ok. It definitely made me suspicious of speed again. If I had agreed to lynch nutella or if we don't lose kenway the next night I think town pulls it off.
Golden
The Coward
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Golden »

I read exactly one post in this game. It was from nutella, a very long time ago. I knew she was mafia from that single post.

Great job for her to get this deep imo (only noting that one post).
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Canucklehead wrote:Civ Golden is a hurricane of self-assurance.
G-Man wrote: Coward
Dragon D. Luffy
The Pirate

Civ Golden is a long missed treasure in this site.
nutella
Connoisseur of Spice

Post by nutella »

Golden wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:30 pm I read exactly one post in this game. It was from nutella, a very long time ago. I knew she was mafia from that single post.

Great job for her to get this deep imo (only noting that one post).
Well now you have to tell me which one. :suspish:
Image Image Image Image
Image Image
speedchuck
Knight of No Renown
Posts in topic: 292

Post by speedchuck »

colonialbob wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:26 pm
Dragon D. Luffy wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:22 pm Also all the plans involving perfectly predicted night actions. :disappoint:
*shrug* I still think the plan worked ok. It definitely made me suspicious of speed again. If I had agreed to lynch nutella or if we don't lose kenway the next night I think town pulls it off.
The plan would have completely screwed us over in the end if it weren't for Sig's role.
SIGNATURE:
Speedchuck wins the "Jack Torrance Has Always Been The Caretaker" award.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImage
gwilikers6
The Mark
Posts in topic: 326

Post by gwilikers6 »

Good game, scum. Thanks for having me guys. Invite me to play another some time down the road.
Kenway
Stool Pigeon
Posts in topic: 122

Post by Kenway »

Thanks for the game! And congrats, Mafia team!
JaggedJimmyJay
The Brassiere of The Syndicate
Posts in topic: 536
Preferred Pronouns: He/him/his/himself
Aka: Jay | JJJ | J3 | 3J | jagged | Jimmy | KOFM

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

It was awesome having y'all around, RYM old timers. I hope you'll stick around a bit and play again, either immediately or soon. You elevate the game!
Overall: 73-57 (.56) | Town 49-41 (.54) | Mafia 18-11 (.62) | Independent 6-4 (.60)

The Syndicate: Town 23-26; Mafia 10-5; Indy 5-1 | RateYourMusic: Town 14-13; Mafia 5-4; Indy 0-3 | Mafia Universe: Town 6-0; Mafia 1-0 | Student Doctor Network: Town 2-1; Mafia 1-0 | HeroClixRealms: Town 1-0; Mafia 0-1 | Bulbagarden: Mafia 0-1; Indy 1-0 | 2+2 POG: Town 1-0 | Naruto Forums: Town 0-1 | Personality Café: Town 1-0 | Vendetta Strada: Town 0-1 | Mafia451: Town 1-0 | Wintreath: Mafia 1-0

Awards:

The Syndicate

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Student Doctor Network

ImageImageImageImageImage

Rate Your Music

Best Townie, Maffies 4, 8 and 9
Best Scum, Maffies 3
Best Moderator, Maffies 8 and 9
Most Valuable Player, Maffies 7 and 9
Best Roleplay, Maffies 4 and 6
Spirit Award, Maffies 9
Hall of Fame inductee, Maffies 4

Mafia Universe

Mafia Championship Finalist, 2015 and 2020
Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage[-Mass Effect Mafia banner-]ImageImageImageImage
ColinIsCool
Hitman
Posts in topic: 92

Post by ColinIsCool »

GG scum, I missed out on most of the fun but you guys did great.
Scotty
Jeff
Posts in topic: 1
Preferred Pronouns: He/him

Post by Scotty »

JaggedJimmyJay wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 11:54 pm It was awesome having y'all around, RYM old timers. I hope you'll stick around a bit and play again, either immediately or soon. You elevate the game!
Agreed! I loved watching all your play styles! GG scum!
When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather;
not screaming like the people in his car
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
lapluie
Moon Child
Posts in topic: 108

Post by lapluie »

Sloonei wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 6:28 pm I had no idea what was happening in this game.
Looks like I just won my first scum mafia game. Hiphip!
* ☆ kepler 22b ~ °
Sloonei
Cap'n Sloonbeard
Posts in topic: 6
Preferred Pronouns: he/his/him

Post by Sloonei »

Hooray!
My banners:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Kylemii
Bodice of Reason
Posts in topic: 599
Preferred Pronouns: he/him

Post by Kylemii »

I'm mad cus so many of the mafia turned out to be on my ideal teammates list for Epi's exercise :/
Dragon D. Luffy
The Pirate

Re: Fire Emblem Draft Mafia [Day 1]

Epignosis wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:29 pm

dunya
JJJ
Epi
Mac
rdw

nutella
JJJ
Mac
dunya
Any rym

lapluie
MM

Quin
DDL
dunya
Epi
LC OR rabbit

Iron Dwarf
dunya
rdw
JJJ
Mac
Conclusion: mafia wwill avoid citing their teammates, or they will cite one high-profile teammate and ignore the rest.
Jackofhearts2005
something funny

Backgrounds:

Jackofhearts2005 wrote:Sun Feb 11, 2018 2:07 pm Christmas Cavalier Red - You and your friend Ron have long been members of the Goodguyia army. He’s laid back and fast. You’re serious and strong. You have 50% chance to block your target's target.
Jackofhearts2005 wrote:Sun Feb 11, 2018 1:59 pm Christmas Cavalier Green - You and your friend Marshal have long been members of the Goodguyia army. He’s serious and strong. You’re laid back and fast. You have a 50% chance to guide your target's target.
Traditional Cavalier pair gained at almost the start of every FE game. They would always have these backgrounds. Together, they caused lots of actions to fail but their 50% chance passive abilities only hit one time. RNG shenanigans I suppose.
Jackofhearts2005 wrote:Sun Feb 11, 2018 2:05 pm Secretly a Dragon - You’ve been hiding in the deserts of Nomadia for decades but you can run from your responsibilities no longer. You cop as bad but have a 50% chance to survive the first nightkill you take.
Based on Sophia from Binding Blade. Tony used his power on mafia roles twice in a row, which caused him to temporarily lose NK immunity when he needed it most. He could have ended up as a more Knoll/Canas type scholar and gained double experience for revealing townie roles while still copping bad.
Jackofhearts2005 wrote:Sun Feb 11, 2018 2:04 pm Crazy Flirt - Most people think Clerics have to be celibate and while they may not be wrong, the men in this army just can’t seem to ignore your stunning good looks and amazing charm. Anyone who says otherwise is kidding themselves, especially these guys who are so clearly into you, even if they won’t admit it. Your vote counts double but you always have two additional votes on you.
Based on Serra from Binding Blade and Saul from Blazing Blade. He could have ended up with a Elen/Natasha "maiden to be rescued"
type background that had a chance of surviving nk but would roleblock herself and a random townie that would have to rescue her. Having Spirtyo randomize into Epi's mason group was a very lucky move that counteracted the hated role on a sometimes mislynched player.

Jackofhearts2005 wrote:Sun Feb 11, 2018 2:03 pm Brother's Keeper - One of the mafia members is your brother. You cannot nightkill him and he cannot nightkill you. As long as your brother lives, you can win with the mafia. As long as you live, he can win with the town. You cop bad and start as a member of the Badguyia army, though you are still town. You will automatically leave the Badguyia army if your brother dies or if you kill a mafia member.
Based on Cormag from Sacred Stones. Thumb was his brother but the reveal was delayed. His alternative background was a principled mercenary based on Heath from Blazing Blade that would cause his vote to not count when placed on mafia players. He'd start as Badguyian either way.
Jackofhearts2005 wrote:Sun Feb 11, 2018 1:55 pm Mentor - A wise old Sage living in a mysterious forest, you’ve trained a select handful of mages over the years. One of your pupils, Kenway, seems to be involved in the current hostilities. You will mason with Kenway on Day 3.
Based on Saleh from Blazing Blade (though it's a pretty standard Sage background). His other background would have been based on Pent and given him a oneshot daykill to represent how you don't actually have to rescue Pent in his starting chapter because he's so much more powerful than the people you're supposed to be rescuing him from. Kyle spent a lot of time targeting (often unintentionally)
mounted players and the same players Kenway was targeting.

Jackofhearts2005 wrote:Sun Feb 11, 2018 1:58 pm Serious Sister - Unlike your sisters Hazel and Elsie, you are a respected and professional member of the Goodguyia army. Your vote cannot be negated, stolen or otherwise modified in any way.
Jackofhearts2005 wrote:Sun Feb 11, 2018 1:56 pm Shy Sister - Unlike your sisters, Bunny and Hazel, you suffer from a terrible crippling shyness. If anyone but a Pegasus Knight targets you for the first time, your action will fail. You gain double levels for night action and no levels for voting.

These three are standard FE tropes in just about every game.
Jackofhearts2005 wrote:Sun Feb 11, 2018 1:57 pm Merc For A Cause - Your father is very sick so you’ve joined a mercenary company to make money and pay for his medicine. You may not cast the first vote against another player. If the vote after yours is cast for the same player, your vote is doubled and you gain an additional level at the end of the day.
Based on Dorcas from Blazing Blade and Lot from Binding Blade. This role was a massive pain in the ass that made vote counting and experience counting take much longer than they would have otherwise taken. I should have came up with a better mechanic. He was killed off when Nutella's crit roll hit, the only crit roll the mafia managed to land despite lots and lots of chances
Jackofhearts2005 wrote:Sun Feb 11, 2018 1:26 pm Out of Retirement - A former Captain in the Allyia army turned farmer, you’ve returned to save your homeland. You start at level 5 and will promote earlier than the other townies.
Based on Garcia from Sacred Stones.
Jackofhearts2005 wrote:Sun Feb 11, 2018 1:55 pm Somebody's Sister - Another player appears to be your long lost brother, though he does not remember you. If your action would help your brother, you will be misdirected to him.
Based on Rebecca from Blazing Blade and her brother, Dart. This background could have also been assigned to a Troubador or Knight. Kites's alternative role was to be unmisdirectable and have a minus one to his vote, representing the earnest try hard attitude of Wil from Binding Blade. If the thief was an orphan, he'd have a chance to have his background replaced by the orphan background to represent Neimi and Colm.
Jackofhearts2005 wrote:Sun Feb 11, 2018 1:48 pm Somebody's Brother - Though you’ve been a pirate as long as you can remember, there is someone who claims to be your long lost sister. She has a defensive power and will be misdirected to you if you need her.
Based on Dart from Binding Blade. This background could have gone to a Mercenary or Knight. His alternative role was a rookie, based on Ross from Sacred Stones. His chance to avoid NK would start much smaller and would go up with each night that passed.
Jackofhearts2005 wrote:Sun Feb 11, 2018 1:54 pm Pupil - A young and studious mage, you’ve sought to increase your skill with the help of your mentor, the great sage Kylemii. You will mason with Kylemii on Day 3.
Based on Ewan from Sacred Stones and Erik from Binding Blade. He used Nino from Blazing Blade's catchphrase "do my best" and looked like a banana, a reference to Binding Blade's Lugh, who is clearly a banana.
His other background that he didn't roll was to avoid one lynch, representing the royal Lilina. If the thief was an orphan, he'd have a chance to have his background replaced by the orphan background to represent Lugh and Chad of Binding Blade.
Jackofhearts2005 wrote:Sun Feb 11, 2018 1:53 pm OP Vet/Experience Hog - As is tradition, Lord Rico’s Goodguyia army starts with a grizzled veteran and father figure who can defeat dozens of low level enemies on his own without taking a scratch. Due to your relatively high level, you gain next to no experience for your actions and tend to stay out of the fighting for fear of handicapping the entire army. You may nightkill instead of your normal night action. If you do this, all other townie actions are blocked and no townies will level up this night.
Based on Marcus from Blazing Blade and Binding Blade. He had an alternative role based on Seth from Sacred Stones where he'd be able to choose who was lynched at the cost of every townie's day experience instead. Fitting that he was killed by Quin's wounding power, an unintentional throwback go Valder (Sacred Stone's mad dog) wounding Seth in the first chapter, a wound that never fully healed (and yet, Seth still destroys armies by merely looking at them).
Jackofhearts2005 wrote:Sun Feb 11, 2018 1:52 pm Beautiful - Though you have boy parts and everything, your long hair and soft features have the unfortunate side effect of making you look quite feminine. Anyone who targets you has a 25% chance to be roleblocked. Once this effect fails for a player, they will realize you are not a girl and ignore this power for the rest of the game.
Based on Lucius from Blazing Blade, which was also why he was friends with DDL in the writeup, similar to Lucius's friendship with Raven.
I didn't actually come up with an alt role for the Monk because Artur is a boring character imo and there's no other monks.

Jackofhearts2005 wrote:Sun Feb 11, 2018 1:51 pm Traveling Adventurer - You are a princess who is roaming the countryside in secret with your loyal subjects. At any time during the game, you may end the day without a lynch. The following night, in place of your night action, you will roleblock and recruit two random characters who have not been introduced in the writeup to your cause. Those players will mason with you and you will automatically protect them both on all following nights instead of your normal night action. If you die, those players will be unable to vote the next day phase.
Based on the wonderful L'Arachl from Sacred Stones, Epi had a chance of recruiting scum but lucked into townies and good townies to team with at that. His alternative background was the Somebody's Sister role that Kites had, representing Clarine and Rebecca.
Jackofhearts2005 wrote:Sun Feb 11, 2018 1:36 pm Proud Plainsman - The son of the great Desert Wolf chieftain, you do not suffer fools. Anyone who is incompetent, racist or evil should beware your bow. Each night, choose a post restriction. Anyone who targets you will be cursed with that post restriction the next day.
Represented Sue from Binding Blade. The other role was a mercenary that represented Wrath from Blazing Blade but I don't remember what it did other than allow it to be effected by Bob's mercenary powers. Sorry.
Jackofhearts2005 wrote:Sun Feb 11, 2018 1:35 pm Out For Revenge - The Badguyia army wiped out your Nomadian tribe, leaving you as the sole survivor. Since then, you’ve been waging a one man war on Badguyia. You are unblockable. Every time you make a nightkill, you are bulletproof for the night.
Representing Rudger from Binding Blade. This role could have gone to a Mercenary. His alternative role was based on Joshua and would allow him to choose 3 players and his target would be misdirected to one of them and each day, his vote would count 2 or 0,
both to represent Joshua's gambling.

Quin's role was based on Guy from Blazing Blade and Marisa from Sacred Stones.

Jackofhearts2005 wrote:Sun Feb 11, 2018 1:26 pm Mercenary Leader - Tough as nails and cool as a cucumber, you’ve formed your own mercenary company and have hired on to stop the Badguyian army. In addition to your normal night action, you may doctor another player, but your doctor action will fail unless your target has a mercenary background. If you successfully save a player from a kill, your normal night action will fail. Once per game during the day, you may message me to steal the votes of all mercenaries for the rest of the day. All players with mercenary backgrounds will vote for whoever you vote for but this will not show in the vote tally.
Bob's role was based on Dieck from Binding Blade and Gerick from Sacred Stones. His alternative role was similar to Luffy's "out for revenge"
role to represent Raven, similar to Iron Dwarf's fakeclaim "count on me" to represent Ogier or Wilgy's somebody's brother role to also represent Raven. I gave the merc captain the highest chance of being in the game. Otherwise, Mercs tend to steal tropes from other classes, which is fitting.

The thieves had these roles. The spy represented Matthew (my favorite FE character) and Astolfo from Blazing Blade and Binding Blade. Dunya's safeclaim was given blue hair as a call out to her Ericka avatar that she took some time picking out. The defector was based on Renault from Blazing Blade. The alternative role was an orphan, based on Chad and Colm. This role would randomly replace the background of the archer (Neimi) or mage (Lugh). Both players would be told the other was town but they wouldn't be masoned.
The knight had this role as a shout out to Gilliam from Sacred Stones and Oswin from Blazing Blade. It could have been given to the Mercenary. His alternative role was as somebody's brother or somebody's sister, representing Bors and Gwen from Binding Blade.

Thumb
A common FE trope with Dussel being my favorite example. Here there be avoiding night actions to make up for all the townie powers.
Pointer
A common FE trope with Caellach being my favorite example. Here there be extra kills and tracker/doctor avoidance to make up for the numbers and townie powers.
A common FE trope with Valder and Linus being my favorite examples. His wounding stike broke the tie to kill Jimmy. Here there be extra kill power and night power avoidance. Do you see the trend?
Ring
A common FE trope with Selena Fluorspar being my favorite examples. Ring had the greatest abilities to shut down townie night actions as a reliable way to stop the baddies.
Pinky
A common FE trope with Riev being my favorite examples. Again, making night powers unreliable for the town.

The mafia also had promoted roles, allowing ID to avoid lots of night actions and Nutella, Speed/Dunya and Quin to have the chance to nightkill as critical hits, which only happened once in defiance of what you'd expect, statistically. They had two controlled misdirects in Quin and Nutella's promoted roles, which together with Ring and Pinky's abilities, let them lock down a fair number of townie actions.
Jackofhearts2005
something funny

Dragon D. Luffy wrote: Fri Mar 23, 2018 1:04 pm

dunya
JJJ
Epi
Mac
rdw

nutella
JJJ
Mac
dunya
Any rym

lapluie
MM

Quin
DDL
dunya
Epi
LC OR rabbit

Iron Dwarf
dunya
rdw
JJJ
Mac
Conclusion: mafia wwill avoid citing their teammates, or they will cite one high-profile teammate and ignore the rest.
I thought that exercise was silly to begin with because the mafia would lie and the only real answer you needed was the answer from the mafia don. Then again, Dunya.
Jackofhearts2005
something funny

[mention]dunya[/mention] [mention]Kylemii[/mention] [mention]Quin[/mention] [mention]Dragon D. Luffy[/mention] [mention]JaggedJimmyJay[/mention]

Secrets!
Dragon D. Luffy
The Pirate

Jackofhearts2005 wrote: Fri Mar 23, 2018 1:20 pm
Dragon D. Luffy wrote: Fri Mar 23, 2018 1:04 pm

dunya
JJJ
Epi
Mac
rdw

nutella
JJJ
Mac
dunya
Any rym

lapluie
MM

Quin
DDL
dunya
Epi
LC OR rabbit

Iron Dwarf
dunya
rdw
JJJ
Mac
I thought that exercise was silly to begin with because the mafia would lie and the only real answer you needed was the answer from the mafia don. Then again, Dunya.
I think the point is to get an average poll of the average Syndicateer's team picks. If there is a trend, the exercise will catch it. nutella is an individual, but an individual could follow trends.
Dragon D. Luffy
The Pirate

Jackofhearts2005 wrote: Fri Mar 23, 2018 1:29 pm @dunya @Kylemii @Quin @Dragon D. Luffy @JaggedJimmyJay

Secrets!
I don't FE so I don't know the chars you're referring too. :grin:
Jackofhearts2005
something funny

Dragon D. Luffy wrote: Fri Mar 23, 2018 1:48 pm
Jackofhearts2005 wrote: Fri Mar 23, 2018 1:29 pm @dunya @Kylemii @Quin @Dragon D. Luffy @JaggedJimmyJay

Secrets!
I don't FE so I don't know the chars you're referring too. :grin:
I know but you like role madness.
JaggedJimmyJay
The Brassiere of The Syndicate
Posts in topic: 536
Preferred Pronouns: He/him/his/himself
Aka: Jay | JJJ | J3 | 3J | jagged | Jimmy | KOFM

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

The exercise's insight may have been specific to dunya. Epignosis and I were also oft-named, but entering the game that wasn't likely to surprise anyone. dunya though, despite having performed very well in her earliest games on this site, hasn't had enough time to generate much play-based reputation -- and she was still named more than either of us (or anyone else). I probably should have cared more, but yanno. Everything seems clear when the answers are revealed.
Overall: 73-57 (.56) | Town 49-41 (.54) | Mafia 18-11 (.62) | Independent 6-4 (.60)

The Syndicate: Town 23-26; Mafia 10-5; Indy 5-1 | RateYourMusic: Town 14-13; Mafia 5-4; Indy 0-3 | Mafia Universe: Town 6-0; Mafia 1-0 | Student Doctor Network: Town 2-1; Mafia 1-0 | HeroClixRealms: Town 1-0; Mafia 0-1 | Bulbagarden: Mafia 0-1; Indy 1-0 | 2+2 POG: Town 1-0 | Naruto Forums: Town 0-1 | Personality Café: Town 1-0 | Vendetta Strada: Town 0-1 | Mafia451: Town 1-0 | Wintreath: Mafia 1-0

Awards:

The Syndicate

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Student Doctor Network

Rate Your Music

Best Townie, Maffies 4, 8 and 9
Best Scum, Maffies 3
Best Moderator, Maffies 8 and 9
Most Valuable Player, Maffies 7 and 9
Best Roleplay, Maffies 4 and 6
Spirit Award, Maffies 9
Hall of Fame inductee, Maffies 4

Mafia Universe

Mafia Championship Finalist, 2015 and 2020
Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage[-Mass Effect Mafia banner-]ImageImageImageImage
Dragon D. Luffy
The Pirate

JaggedJimmyJay wrote: Fri Mar 23, 2018 1:51 pm The exercise's insight may have been specific to dunya. Epignosis and I were also oft-named, but entering the game that wasn't likely to surprise anyone. dunya though, despite having performed very well in her earliest games on this site, hasn't had enough time to generate much play-based reputation -- and she was still named more than either of us (or anyone else). I probably should have cared more, but yanno. Everything seems clear when the answers are revealed.
It could also be useful for civ reads. Specifically, the 50% least named players in the exercise consist of 11 civs and 1 baddie.

The baddies in the list are in positions 1, 7, 10, 11 and 20 (tied last place).

In other words, someone who doesnt get drafted by any civs is very unlikely to be drafted by the Don themselves.

I think the idea of something like this is that you shouldn't use it as a precise metrics for civ/bad chance, but rather look for outliers. People with an extremely high or extremely low number of picks have a chance of being civ/bad that may surpass statistical error.
dunya
GOAT Whisperer
Posts in topic: 722

Post by dunya »

First and last time I play a draft game thanks to Epi. :noble:
Dragon D. Luffy
The Pirate

So the thing here is that Nutella picked a bunch of people everyone would pick, and one guy nobody would (Iron Dwarf).
Dragon D. Luffy
The Pirate

dunya wrote: Fri Mar 23, 2018 2:00 pm First and last time I play a draft game thanks to Epi. :noble:
Well if it serves for consolation, nobody believes in this stuff except a handful of people, even until this point.
Kylemii
Bodice of Reason

Post by Kylemii »

Kyle spent a lot of time targeting (often unintentionally) mounted players and the same players Kenway was targeting.
wow it's too bad there wasnt any way that we could ba e coordinated our targetting choices to avoid that happening. it was just an inevitability. if only there were some sort of behind the scenes resource we could have used to make sure we were both as productive as possible on a nightly basis.

hey wait does that mean i intentionally targeted a horse rider at some point? D:
speedchuck
Knight of No Renown
Posts in topic: 292

Post by speedchuck »

JaggedJimmyJay wrote: Fri Mar 23, 2018 1:51 pm The exercise's insight may have been specific to dunya. Epignosis and I were also oft-named, but entering the game that wasn't likely to surprise anyone. dunya though, despite having performed very well in her earliest games on this site, hasn't had enough time to generate much play-based reputation -- and she was still named more than either of us (or anyone else). I probably should have cared more, but yanno. Everything seems clear when the answers are revealed.
I would have selected Dunya to avoid her being a civ.
SIGNATURE:
Speedchuck wins the "Jack Torrance Has Always Been The Caretaker" award.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImage
Jackofhearts2005
something funny

Kylemii wrote: Fri Mar 23, 2018 2:05 pm
Kyle spent a lot of time targeting (often unintentionally) mounted players and the same players Kenway was targeting.
wow it's too bad there wasnt any way that we could ba e coordinated our targetting choices to avoid that happening. it was just an inevitability. if only there were some sort of behind the scenes resource we could have used to make sure we were both as productive as possible on a nightly basis.

hey wait does that mean i intentionally targeted a horse rider at some point? D:
Iron Dwarf?
Kylemii
Bodice of Reason

Post by Kylemii »

oh.

i mean to be fair i didnt l know he was on a horse.

though now thst I think about it I should have realized that my failure againdt him cpuld have been mount related x_x
Kylemii
Bodice of Reason

Post by Kylemii »

did i ever successfully flip anyone's actions
Jackofhearts2005
something funny

Kylemii wrote: Fri Mar 23, 2018 2:23 pm did i ever successfully flip anyone's actions
Once or twice. :grin:
Kylemii
Bodice of Reason

Post by Kylemii »

Jackofhearts2005 wrote: Fri Mar 23, 2018 2:25 pm
Kylemii wrote: Fri Mar 23, 2018 2:23 pm did i ever successfully flip anyone's actions
Once or twice. :grin:
:[
Marmot
Marmot
Posts in topic: 355
Preferred Pronouns: they/them
Aka: Marmot

Post by Marmot »

This game would have had a different ending if I thought Jack was serious when he PM'd me and said "Hey wanna be the Don? :grin: "

Banners and Stuff
My Syndicate Mafia Wins:

Full Games Civilian: Image

Mafia: Image Image Image Image

Independent: Image Image
Speed Games Civilian: Image Image Fiddler on the Roof

Heists Civilian: Image Image Image Image Image

MVP: RED vs BLUE
Burglaries Independent: The Theme Is Literally a Burglary
Special Games Civilian: Image Image Image Image

Independent: Image

My Syndicate Hosted Games:

Speed Games Image Image Image
Heists Image Image Image

Some other Banners:

2014 Sockys Image
2015 Sockys Image Image Image
Miscellaneous Image Image

Dragon D. Luffy wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 7:33 pm Just how many days of "let's yeet them tomorrow" can a mafioso survive?

The answer: all of them, if you are a marmot.
Marmot
Marmot
Posts in topic: 355
Preferred Pronouns: they/them
Aka: Marmot

Post by Marmot »

Good game baddies.

Kudos to nutella and dunchuck. Especially nutella escaping that early pressure and riding it out to the endgame.

Banners and Stuff
My Syndicate Mafia Wins:

Full Games Civilian: Image

Independent: Image Image
Speed Games Civilian: Image Image Fiddler on the Roof

Heists Civilian: Image Image Image Image Image

MVP: RED vs BLUE
Burglaries Independent: The Theme Is Literally a Burglary
Special Games Civilian: Image Image Image Image

Independent: Image

My Syndicate Hosted Games:

Speed Games Image Image Image
Heists Image Image Image

Some other Banners:

2014 Sockys Image
2015 Sockys Image Image Image
Miscellaneous Image Image

Dragon D. Luffy wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 7:33 pm Just how many days of "let's yeet them tomorrow" can a mafioso survive?

The answer: all of them, if you are a marmot.
Sloonei
Cap'n Sloonbeard
Posts in topic: 6
Preferred Pronouns: he/his/him

Post by Sloonei »

Y'all RYMers better stick around. I didn't get to play with you here, so it didn't really count. sorry about that, it was my fault.
My banners:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Return to “Previous Jobs”