47%

Total votes: 17
Epignosis
Skeletor
Posts in topic: 453

Re: Game of Champions 2017 - Day 19

Post by Epignosis »

DharmaHelper wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2018 7:53 pm
I mean sometimes you gotta work for it, and sometimes they just hand it to you on a plate. Good one lads.
Stream my music for free: https://epignosis.bandcamp.com/
Quin
Indecent Bastard
Posts in topic: 192

Re: Game of Champions 2017 - Night 18

Post by Quin »

Larry David wrote: Thu Apr 19, 2018 6:07 pm Hello, everyone.

I'm in search for my next partner for a TV sitcom, and I thought "what better place to look for an eligible partner than this mafia game?" If you think you have what it takes, post an example script in the thread for a pilot episode of your life starring you! The winner will be co-producer of a new TV show with yours truly, and I can assure you -- I will help you make millions of $$.

So get writing!
my audition tape:

Lunalee wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 9:13 amQuin's ISO is full of posts that are actually trying to be helpful to the game. This doesn't look like town Quin.
ImageImageImageImage
Dom
mayor of gaytown
Posts in topic: 94

Post by Dom »

[VOTE: boom] aubergine
Spoiler: show
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Sloonei
Cap'n Sloonbeard
Posts in topic: 492
Preferred Pronouns: he/his/him

Post by Sloonei »

Page 69: A Memoriam:
My banners:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Dragon D. Luffy
The Pirate
Posts in topic: 255
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by Dragon D. Luffy »

Yellow ducks give me goosebumps.

Where I live it's a symbol associated with the coup we had 2 years ago.
Kylemii
Bodice of Reason
Posts in topic: 276
Preferred Pronouns: he/him

Post by Kylemii »

aww I missed out on the duck page :(
Sloonei
Cap'n Sloonbeard

Post by Sloonei »

Dragon D. Luffy wrote: Fri Apr 20, 2018 1:14 pm Yellow ducks give me goosebumps.

I apologize if our ducks have terrified you.
Kylemii wrote: Fri Apr 20, 2018 3:12 pm aww I missed out on the duck page :(
You wanted this!
My banners:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum
Posts in topic: 3
Preferred Pronouns: any/all
Aka: Tangy

Post by Tangrowth »

Dragon D. Luffy wrote: Fri Apr 20, 2018 1:14 pm Yellow ducks give me goosebumps.

Wait, seriously? That sounds... crazy but intriguing.
Dragon D. Luffy
The Pirate
Posts in topic: 255
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by Dragon D. Luffy »

M Plus 7 wrote: Fri Apr 20, 2018 3:52 pm

Wait, seriously? That sounds... crazy but intriguing.
It's an interesting story.

There is an expression in Portuguese, "pagar o pato", which translates to "pay the duck", which means getting screwed up by someone else's immoral actions.

In 2016, our president (Dilma Roussef, a left-wing politician) was impeached. Leading to the impeachment, there were a series of nation-wide protests, comprised mostly of rich people. Some of these protests were organized by an industrialist association, FIESP. In the protests, they used a giant yellow duck, with the expression "enough of paying the duck", implying that the people were being screwed up by the government.

Now whether this impeachment was a coup or not is a subject for debate, at least here. The argument for impeaching Roussef was that she employed some creative accounting to get around the fact the government spent more money in 2015 than it should have. It's technically illegal, but not necessarily criminal, and nothing in the law says that a president has to be impeached or punished for doing that. Then again, an impeachment is a 100% political process, where the congress can start a voting whenever they want and use any reasons they like. If you ask a right-winger, they will call it an impeachment, if you ask a left-winger, they will call it a coup.

What makes it look more like a coup (in my opinion) is a long list of things, but one if the huge double standard regarding corruption. There was a big scandal in 2014 involding corrpution multiple Brazilian companies and government branches, which the media sort of associated with Roussef (though she was never directly implicated) and which helped impeach her. But as soon as the new president (Michel Temer) took over, he immediately fired all of the staff and replaced it for allies of his who were currently being trialed in the same scandal. Then all three powers started vetoing all attempts to investigate corruption as long as they came from right-wing politicians, while being ruthless to crimes from left-wingers, even when minor or umproved. There was even a leaked audio from a minister admitting that the impeachment was part of a "pact" to stop the "bleeding" from the corruption investigations. There is also the matter of ideology. As soon as Temer took over, he immediately turned government policy 180º, doing reforms to take away rights that have existed for nearly a century and cutting all public investment in education and healthcare. Problem is that he was the vice-president, and Roussef only picked him in the first place because his party was too powerful to be ignored (using the US as an example, it's like if Bernie Sanders had to pick HIlary Clinton as VP in order to be accepted by the Dems, and after winning was impeached one year later, and right afterwards HIlary immediately fired his entire staff and started undoing all his policies). Point is, when you vote for a president, you assume that their VP won't do the things the president's political opponents are proposing.

Anyway, the yellow duck thing ended up becoming an expression used by the left to make fun of the right. Whenever there is news of a right-wing politician getting away with corruption, the left will usually mock them by saying something like "why is the yellow duck crew not protesting", like if the people who went to protest in 2016 were fooled or only did it out of ideology.
Boomslang
Drug Dealer
Posts in topic: 27

Post by Boomslang »

Ladies and gentlemen,

You caught me. There's no way out of this situation — your deduction has been flawless, leaving no way for scum to escape or mount an effective defense.

I hereby resign from the Game of Champions. Congratulations, civs.

Yours in devilry,
Boomslang
Golden
The Coward
Posts in topic: 75

Post by Golden »

Boomslang has conceded. He was MAFIA and a member of the EVIL EVENS. The game has ended.

Congrats to Speedchuck, Nijuukyugou, Dom, Colonialbob, Quin, sig, S~V~S, Dragon D. Luffy, Sloonei, Epignosis, sprityo, JackofHearts2005, Scotty and Spacedaisy. You have won the game!

Here is your winners banner: Image
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Canucklehead wrote:Civ Golden is a hurricane of self-assurance.
G-Man wrote: Coward
Golden
The Coward

Re: Game of Champions 2017 - GAME OVER

Post by Golden »

Remaining roles:

Dom

Role 1

You are 17: Refridgerator (Haiku). Each night, you may choose one player who must post in haiku for the entire following day phase. At least 10 haiku must be posted. Unless the hosts deem that they have failed to meet the haiku requirement sufficiently, no votes cast against that player will count during that day. You may not target the same player on consecutive nights.

Role 2 (unused)

You are 52: Watchlisted Townie (Greater Idea). If you are investigated by any investigation role, you will appear to be an independently aligned serial killer.

Coloniabob

You are 38: Punch buggy (Chicka Chicka 1, 2, 3). Once per day, you may post a picture of a Volkswagen. The first person to say "punch buggy" and post the colour of the car will lose their vote, and the value of that vote will be added to yours. The player losing their vote will not be informed.

Quin

You are 21: Quin, finding himself (The Search for Quin). Poor Quin is having an existential crisis and is trying to find himself, but he is looking in all the wrong places. Each odd-numbered night you will investigate someone to see if they are Quin (which, of course, they are not, since Quin is you). You will, however, receive the number of their role and their affiliation.

Dragon D. Luffy

You are 32: Venusaur (Pokemon). Starting from 0, each day that you remain in the game, you will begin that day phase with 1 fewer vote (eg on day two you will start with -1 vote, on day three you will start with -2 vote etc). Each night, you will choose a player to evolve - the value of that player's vote will increase by one. You may not target the same player twice any closer than four nights apart.

Sloonei

You are 100: Negan (Survivor). On each even day, you must post a gif of Negan and threaten a specific living player with it. At the end of the following night phase, you will learn their role number and affiliation.

Epignosis

Role 1

You are 91: Chun Li (Street Fighter II). You are so fast, you'll see assassins coming. Factional mafia nightkills will not affect you.

Role 2 (unused)

You are 69: The Sun (Elemental). Each night, you will PM one element to the hosts (Light, Darkness, Gas or Dust) and one player to be targeted with any effect the element may have. If the Moon is in the game, they will also choose one element out of Light, Darkness, Gas or Dust. When you and the Moon are both in the game, your element choices will combine to form one effect. Each combined effect may only be triggered once. Your target will get the benefit of any positive effect, while the Moon's target will suffer any negative effect. You may not choose the same element or the same target on consecutive days. You will not be informed of the effects of your elements.

Scotty

You are 87: John H. Watson, backup doctor (Phenon). If Levi Strauss is dead, then each night you will choose one player to protect from all nightkills. You may not target the same player two nights in a row.

Spacedaisy

Role 1

You are 76: Thomas Paine (Chicka Chicka 1, 2, 3). *SECRETS*

This role will appear as a *secret* when you die. Each night, you may invite one player of your choice to abandon all of their other alliances and join you in the Brothers of the Revolution. If anyone accepts your offer, you will gain BTSC with them and they will lose their existing win condition and gain yours for the duration of their lifespan in that role. You may not invite the same player twice. Once a player has accepted, you may no longer send any invites.

Role 2 (unused)

You are 24: Meyers Wolfsheim (The Great Gatsby). You will choose a player each night. That player's vote will be worth one additional vote the following day, and you will be permanently immune from any night actions (positive or negative, including kills) from that player. You may not target the same player twice.

Boomslang

Role 1

You are 9: Justice Strauss (A Mafia of Unfortunate Events). You must provide a list of all living players to the hosts, which you may update at any time. This list will be used to break all ties (players higher on the list will obtain any benefit, players lower on the list will incur any negative effect).

Role 2 (unused)

You are 84: John Orr, arsonist (Phenon). You will douse a player in petrol each night. That player will not be able to benefit from any positive abilities or effects that night.
Golden
The Coward

Post by Golden »

Independent win cons:

Scotty (role 1) was independent - he would have been the sole winner had he survived until the game was otherwise one (reaping everyone else alive)
DharmaHelper - You will win if: a) you voted for the person who was successfully lynched in at least 7 lynches; b) you took votes in at least 7 lynches; and c) you are dead at the end of the game. He was something like one or two lynches with votes off winning.
Spacedaisy (role 1) - she could recruit one player, which was Sloonei, and they were both independent, survive to win.
Spacedaisy (role 2) - also survive to win.

Other than scotty who went from independent to town, all other players had the same affiliation in both lives.
Golden
The Coward

Post by Golden »

Congratulations in particular to Scotty - I don't think I've ever seen a doctor hit four times in a game before.

And Epignosis had a pretty blistering games in terms of his reads. He had the game correctly solved very early.

Well done to everyone, though. It was a game in which people tried really hard.
Epignosis
Skeletor

Post by Epignosis »

Well done.
juliets
Dancing Pancake
Posts in topic: 35
Preferred Pronouns: she/her/hers
Aka: jules

Post by juliets »

Congrats civs and Daisy! I can publish any night actions anyone wants to see.
JaggedJimmyJay wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 3:24 pm Always good to remember that there is no such thing as a Mafia circumstance that is worth real human emotion. Sometimes it will naturally come out, but it can be contained if we just remember that this is a game on a message board forum that 99.99% of the population of the Earth has never heard of before. No matter how successful anyone is, it means just about nothing.

ImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
Golden
The Coward

Post by Golden »

Epignosis wrote: Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:15 pmWell done.
Scotty even saved you once... despite your role, because sprityo had stolen it.
Epignosis
Skeletor

Post by Epignosis »

Golden wrote: Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:19 pm
Epignosis wrote: Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:15 pmWell done.
Scotty even saved you once... despite your role, because sprityo had stolen it.
Well done Scotty. :clap:
juliets
Dancing Pancake

Post by juliets »

Yes Scotty you had good insights on your picks for saves. You saved yourself in that last round.
JaggedJimmyJay wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 3:24 pm Always good to remember that there is no such thing as a Mafia circumstance that is worth real human emotion. Sometimes it will naturally come out, but it can be contained if we just remember that this is a game on a message board forum that 99.99% of the population of the Earth has never heard of before. No matter how successful anyone is, it means just about nothing.

ImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
speedchuck
Knight of No Renown
Posts in topic: 92

Post by speedchuck »

Good game, everyone.

Thanks for reading me correctly early, Epi. I set myself up (by accident) as an easy target D1, and your assurance that I was town gave me some easy town reads.

I was apparently the one taking myself off the poll all those days without knowing it. Sorry I accused you Quin. XD

Great game to everyone. I was following along, and I wouldn't put myself in the top ten town players this game. I had an impact on the thread, but some of you were simply fantastic! Kudos.
SIGNATURE:
Speedchuck wins the "Jack Torrance Has Always Been The Caretaker" award.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImage
Epignosis
Skeletor

Post by Epignosis »

speedchuck wrote: Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:21 pm I was apparently the one taking myself off the poll all those days without knowing it. Sorry I accused you Quin. XD
How?
Golden
The Coward

Post by Golden »

Darkness. It self-targeted.
Golden
The Coward

Post by Golden »

I designed all sorts of cool elemental effects across two pairs and only had a pair in the game for one night total
speedchuck
Knight of No Renown

Post by speedchuck »

Epignosis wrote: Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:23 pm
speedchuck wrote: Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:21 pm I was apparently the one taking myself off the poll all those days without knowing it. Sorry I accused you Quin. XD
How?
Some of my abilities self-targeted even though I chose other people. Because I had no partner to combine with.
SIGNATURE:
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImage
Quin
Indecent Bastard

Post by Quin »

:mafia: I was literally myself what an incredible twist
Lunalee wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 9:13 amQuin's ISO is full of posts that are actually trying to be helpful to the game. This doesn't look like town Quin.
ImageImageImageImage
Epignosis
Skeletor

Post by Epignosis »

Oh, I see.
juliets
Dancing Pancake

Post by juliets »

I really liked DDLs role. So many of you had a double vote by the end. And lol Quin.

ImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
Quin
Indecent Bastard

Post by Quin »

can I talk about how nutella accidentally exposed her first role to me in fire emblem baddie chat now?

or how golden accidentally exposed the existence of the evens in a host post only I got to read?

he also (in a roundabout way) revealed nutella as scum in the latter but I was too dumb to notice until like yesterday
ImageImageImageImage
juliets
Dancing Pancake

Post by juliets »

I heard about that Fire Emblem baddie chat, so funny.

ImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
Epignosis
Skeletor

Post by Epignosis »

Quin wrote: Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:39 pm can I talk about how nutella accidentally exposed her first role to me in fire emblem baddie chat now?
That happens more often than people would think.
speedchuck
Knight of No Renown

Post by speedchuck »

Yeah, I recently had Epi delete an entire scumchat to avoid revealing myself in a game he wasn't hosting.

Crap happens, especially when you're scum in like ten games at once.
SIGNATURE:
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImage
Quin
Indecent Bastard

Post by Quin »

this whole game I was thinking 'i feel sorry for any townies who reincarnate as scum' because we were absolutely killing it in this game. Not sure if that was actually happening though.
ImageImageImageImage
nijuukyugou
Tentacled Henchman
Posts in topic: 44
Preferred Pronouns: she/her/hers/herself

Post by nijuukyugou »

Wooooooooooooooo
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Sloonei
Cap'n Sloonbeard

Post by Sloonei »

LONG LIVE THE BROTHERHOOD
My banners:
ImageImageImageImage
Epignosis
Skeletor

Post by Epignosis »

speedchuck wrote: Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:44 pm Yeah, I recently had Epi delete an entire scumchat to avoid revealing myself in a game he wasn't hosting.

Crap happens, especially when you're scum in like ten games at once.
That's right.

Nine times out of ten, if that happens, one of your teammates is mafia in another game that you are in, no matter what I tell you.
Kylemii
Bodice of Reason

Post by Kylemii »

Scotty

You are 87: John H. Watson, backup doctor (Phenon). If Levi Strauss is dead, then each night you will choose one player to protect from all nightkills. You may not target the same player two nights in a row.
jeez, no wonder you were so hard to kill
Quin
Indecent Bastard

Post by Quin »

being a confirmed townie for like 12 days is pretty cool you should all try it sometime
ImageImageImageImage
Golden
The Coward

Post by Golden »

Quin wrote: Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:46 pm this whole game I was thinking 'i feel sorry for any townies who reincarnate as scum' because we were absolutely killing it in this game. Not sure if that was actually happening though.
It was not.

I included the rule because I was a little concerned that the two-life set-up favoured civilians quite heavily, and I wanted it to create doubt. In the end I don't think the setup was too badly favouring civilians, although people were better than I expected at assessing whether roles were better for town or mafia and correctly placing them as a result.
Golden
The Coward

Post by Golden »

Kylemii wrote: Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:51 pm
Scotty

jeez, no wonder you were so hard to kill
There was a point in the game where if you had been able to get scotty lynched it really could have turned the tide. But somehow he kept making it through...

The thing I was most surprised about is that neither baddie team ever even attempted to kill sloonei.
nijuukyugou
Tentacled Henchman
Posts in topic: 44
Preferred Pronouns: she/her/hers/herself

Post by nijuukyugou »

Quin wrote: Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:53 pm being a confirmed townie for like 12 days is pretty cool you should all try it sometime
It's pretty great.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Kylemii
Bodice of Reason

Post by Kylemii »

good work civs.

this game was a mess for me. i had no idea how to use my first role effectively and pretty much screwed myself by sending a cryptic bullshit message to Scotty early on. I needed him dead before my first role flipped and it never happened cus he was always safe. plus I fucked up by killing during the tribe switch night painting myself into a corner. I should have gone with my instincts and just done nothing
Sloonei
Cap'n Sloonbeard

Post by Sloonei »

Sloonei wrote: Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:48 pm LONG LIVE THE BROTHERHOOD
Er, sisterhood

I accepted Daisy’s invite right away Night 1 because I figured it was a chance to have a trusted BTSC partner for maybe 5 nights. We ended uo together for 15 days and were one vote away from winning the game as a team. But my heart never left the Brotherhood.
My banners:
ImageImageImageImage
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum
Posts in topic: 3
Preferred Pronouns: any/all
Aka: Tangy

Post by Tangrowth »

Just wanted to say it was a shame to miss out on this game, though I did at least get to cameo as all of the sockpuppets thanks to Golden's suggestion, so that was fun.

Congrats to the civilians! Well-played all around. And well-hosted to Golden and juliets, you guys killed it! Such a cool setup and I think it definitely was another GoC success.
Sloonei
Cap'n Sloonbeard

Post by Sloonei »

Kylemii wrote: Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:57 pm good work civs.

this game was a mess for me. i had no idea how to use my first role effectively and pretty much screwed myself by sending a cryptic bullshit message to Scotty early on. I needed him dead before my first role flipped and it never happened cus he was always safe. plus I fucked up by killing during the tribe switch night painting myself into a corner. I should have gone with my instincts and just done nothing
That kill did you in, I think. I wasn’t gonna look your way for a while if the PIka2 hunt hadn’t brought us there. You were doing pretty great at appearing like yourself, I thought.
My banners:
ImageImageImageImage
Epignosis
Skeletor

Post by Epignosis »

Golden wrote: Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:53 pm
Quin wrote: Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:46 pm this whole game I was thinking 'i feel sorry for any townies who reincarnate as scum' because we were absolutely killing it in this game. Not sure if that was actually happening though.
It was not.

I included the rule because I was a little concerned that the two-life set-up favoured civilians quite heavily, and I wanted it to create doubt. In the end I don't think the setup was too badly favouring civilians, although people were better than I expected at assessing whether roles were better for town or mafia and correctly placing them as a result.
The setup favored civilians quite a bit, but not for the reasons you name here:

By giving everyone two roles, this essentially doubled the length of the game, which meant civilians had plenty of time (1416 hours!) to gather results, discuss things, and consider all angles. The longer mafia have to dance, the less likely they are to win.
Sloonei
Cap'n Sloonbeard

Post by Sloonei »

I can’t imagine the headache that was keeping track of this game for the hosts. Thank you even more than normal, Golden and juliets.
My banners:
ImageImageImageImage
Golden
The Coward

Post by Golden »

Oh yes, that also definitely favoured the civs epi, but that aspect i was sure of its impact on balance. The two life thing I wasn’t as sure of the level of impact.
colonialbob
Loan Shark
Posts in topic: 166
Preferred Pronouns: He/his/him

Post by colonialbob »

Yay team!

I'm still kinda surprised I didn't get lynched. I read Epi's case on me and was like "damn I can't really argue with any of that."
Golden
The Coward

Post by Golden »

Most of the thanks need to go to juliets, who is just an amazing cohost. This can’t be understated. I created the setup, but she did most of the work.
Sloonei
Cap'n Sloonbeard

Post by Sloonei »

It is ancient history now, but my overconfidence about Marmot was misguided and a total accident, I think. The hosts can clarify for me what actually happened now, but the reason I was so damn sure Marmot was bad was that I thought I copied his role and used it to kill Sig early in the game. Later on Golden would tell me I was not able to copy a mafia nightkill, so sig apparently died by some other circumstances (I chose him as my target because I figured he was the least likely player to be killed that night), but I assumed I had done it and caught scum in the process. :shrug:

I did kill INH and nutella though. Assist to Blooper on that one. Her 1-shot role eliminated three baddies.
My banners:
ImageImageImageImage

Return to “Previous Sit Downs”