The Brassiere of The Syndicate
Posts in topic: 140
Preferred Pronouns: He/him/his/himself
Aka: Jay | JJJ | J3 | 3J | jagged | Jimmy | KOFM

Re: Mega Man Mafia [Day 1]

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

speedchuck why did you vote for me
Spoiler: show
Overall: 73-57 (.56) | Town 49-41 (.54) | Mafia 18-11 (.62) | Independent 6-4 (.60)

The Syndicate: Town 23-26; Mafia 10-5; Indy 5-1 | RateYourMusic: Town 14-13; Mafia 5-4; Indy 0-3 | Mafia Universe: Town 6-0; Mafia 1-0 | Student Doctor Network: Town 2-1; Mafia 1-0 | HeroClixRealms: Town 1-0; Mafia 0-1 | Bulbagarden: Mafia 0-1; Indy 1-0 | 2+2 POG: Town 1-0 | Naruto Forums: Town 0-1 | Personality Café: Town 1-0 | Vendetta Strada: Town 0-1 | Mafia451: Town 1-0 | Wintreath: Mafia 1-0

Awards:

The Syndicate

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Student Doctor Network

ImageImageImageImageImage

Rate Your Music

Best Townie, Maffies 4, 8 and 9
Best Scum, Maffies 3
Best Moderator, Maffies 8 and 9
Most Valuable Player, Maffies 7 and 9
Best Roleplay, Maffies 4 and 6
Spirit Award, Maffies 9
Hall of Fame inductee, Maffies 4

Mafia Universe

Mafia Championship Finalist, 2015 and 2020
Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage[-Mass Effect Mafia banner-]ImageImageImageImage
Bullzeye
Racketeer
Posts in topic: 85

Post by Bullzeye »

Wow this thread got busy quick. That'll teach me to go to bed on time and then spend most of the day outside.
Kylemii wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 11:20 pm holy shit bullzeye is here
Holy shit, where?
JaggedJimmyJay wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 12:54 am
Long Con wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 12:52 am So, what are we dealing with here? Closed setup, and we don't even know which roles are on the bad team.

So, what is the method of catching someone on Day 1? Ask questions and hope someone slips up?
Create a whirlwind of a thread by facilitating maximal activity. Ask questions, make comments, and hurl accusations at every opportunity. The thread needs to be a pressured and even stressful environment.

I ain’t got no time fo’ dat today so y’all get busy.
Pressure and stress? Here I was thinking games are meant to be fun and enjoyable.
Jackofhearts2005 wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 1:17 am
Infected_alien8_ wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 1:15 am Very initial first impression of the thread: Jay feels off, don't know why though
Probably trying to avoid the obvious conclusion that he was recruited.
Why is it obvious Jay would be recruited? The sign-up thread mentions that the baddies recruit roles, not players.
Sloonei wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 2:47 am How many bad robots do we think there are?
Somewhere between 1 and 24.
Sloonei wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 2:50 am
JaggedJimmyJay wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 6:17 pm It was a nice quiet Day 0. Nothing happened.
Jay said this, which can mean one of two things:
Something happened to him on Day 0
OR
Nothing happened to him on Day 0.
OR
Something happened to someone else on Day 0.

I wish something had happened to me on Day 0... :sigh:
sprityo wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 4:23 am Hi everyone, we’re here to have a fun time and be friendly to eachother, right?! Let’s do our best to have a beautiful day :daisy:
My day is already ruined... I failed to catch a Mewtwo during the Pokemon Go community day, which is the one day of the month my town has enough people playing at the same time to make legendary raids viable.
K-Ness wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 6:50 am I'll resist the urge to get into the technical definition of reploid (pings me a bit that it was used, but it's probably just an honest mistake).
Assume it wasn't an honest mistake and elaborate, please. I'm intrigued.
Kylemii wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 10:03 am
K-Ness wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 6:50 am I'll resist the urge to get into the technical definition of reploid (pings me a bit that it was used, but it's probably just an honest mistake).
do you mean ping in a legitimate sense or like in a pet peeve sense

reploids and mavericks seem like convenient words for defining good and bad robots in this game since the original games don't have any real provided terminology or plot (as far as I know?) and the definition at least loosely applies since reploids are defined by their free will and mavericks are defined by being robo-jerks
From what I've now played of the original games so far they don't seem to have much of anything other than difficulty. Beginning to understand where the phrase "Nintendo Hard" comes from.
speedchuck wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 10:30 am
Sloonei wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 2:47 am How many bad robots do we think there are?
Good way of look at whether people read the rules or not.

This isn't a closed setup, dude. It's an open setup with most details hidden.
I was beginning to think I was the only person who had done this!
speedchuck wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 11:36 am
Long Con wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 10:58 am Light doesn't recruit. Just Wiley. The reason I know this is that I didn't get notified Wiley recruited me. The reason you don't know this...

[VOTE: speedchuck] aubergine
"Thomas Light receives the remaining Robot Masters as civilian Robot Masters. The civilians win by eliminating Dr. Wily and his Robot Masters."

Read the freaking rules, dude.

And yes, I know I said recruited instead of received. Don't care.
I think LC has a solid point there. I also think Speedchuck does.
Lunalee
Loan Shark
Posts in topic: 70

Post by Lunalee »

Long Con's posts strike me weird. He apparently didn't read the rules or his role pm, and instead askes all game-mechanic questions in thread. Concerning the mafia recruitment aspect, he asks: It's still up for grabs?
Then posts a bunch of questions on how to approach this game: What are we dealing with here? How do we even mafia in this game?
Then asks, "have recruitment decisions been made?"
But then suddenly understands everything well enough to place a vote on speedchuck based on his game mechanic questions.

I don't view Long Con as being an ignorant player, which is why all his questions confuse me. Is he bad and trying to look like an ignorant townie? Or is he really that bad at reading the rules? I would be okay with voting Long Con today.
Luna's Wins/Losses
Jobs
Ancient Greece Mafia - civilian - loss
U-Pick Mafia - mafia - loss
Retrocausality Mafia - mafia - loss
Mega Man Mafia - mafia - win
Hogwarts Mafia - civilian - loss
Side Missions
Image Mafia - civilian - loss
Courage the Cowardly Dog Mafia - civilian - loss
Heists
Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me - civilian - loss
Friends Mafia - civilian - loss
Daily Fantasy Mafia - civilian - win
Everyone's Insane! - mafia - win
Space Force - civilian - loss
Burglaries
Murder on the Owl Express - third party - loss
Operation Refrigerator Restoration - civilian - win
One Hour Werewolf - Tanner - loss
Awful Overplayed Dadrock Mafia - civilian - loss
Dethy Game - civilian - loss
Special Games
Two-Headed Monster Mafia - civilian - win
Lunalee
Loan Shark

Post by Lunalee »

Also, lynching speedchuck on day one is just straight up lazy. Come on people, we can do better than that.
Luna's Wins/Losses
Jobs
Side Missions
Heists
Burglaries
Special Games
Sloonei
Cap'n Sloonbeard
Posts in topic: 300
Preferred Pronouns: he/his/him

Post by Sloonei »

Lunalee wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 12:21 pm Also, lynching speedchuck on day one is just straight up lazy. Come on people, we can do better than that.
I agree that things ought to be shaken up. Let's see where your Long Con thing takes us.
[VOTE: Long Con] aubergine
My banners:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Sloonei
Cap'n Sloonbeard

Post by Sloonei »

Lunalee wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 12:19 pm Long Con's posts strike me weird. He apparently didn't read the rules or his role pm, and instead askes all game-mechanic questions in thread. Concerning the mafia recruitment aspect, he asks: It's still up for grabs?
Then posts a bunch of questions on how to approach this game: What are we dealing with here? How do we even mafia in this game?
But then suddenly understands everything well enough to place a vote on speedchuck based on his game mechanic questions.

I don't view Long Con as being an ignorant player, which is why all his questions confuse me. Is he bad and trying to look like an ignorant townie? Or is he really that bad at reading the rules? I would be okay with voting Long Con today.
I'm voting for Long Con in hopes that we can generate discussion about this post. This does reflect a pattern in Long Con's posts where he starts off in apparent ignorance of the game mechanics and then works his way up. It's possible he was just getting a feel for things and now he understands what was happening. Or something else. Let's talk about it.
My banners:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
Sloonei
Cap'n Sloonbeard

Post by Sloonei »

[mention]Bullzeye[/mention]'s big catch-up post just now establishes his presence in this game, but it doesn't offer much in terms of content. Do you have any reads or thoughts about any specific players in the game yet, Bullzeye?
welcome back
My banners:
ImageImageImageImage
Lunalee
Loan Shark

Post by Lunalee »

Sloonei wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 12:28 pm
Lunalee wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 12:21 pm Also, lynching speedchuck on day one is just straight up lazy. Come on people, we can do better than that.
I agree that things ought to be shaken up. Let's see where your Long Con thing takes us.
I thought you promised to vote for me today. :p
Luna's Wins/Losses
Jobs
Side Missions
Heists
Burglaries
Special Games
Lunalee
Loan Shark

Post by Lunalee »

Sloonei wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 12:30 pm
Lunalee wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 12:19 pm Long Con's posts strike me weird. He apparently didn't read the rules or his role pm, and instead askes all game-mechanic questions in thread. Concerning the mafia recruitment aspect, he asks: It's still up for grabs?

I'm voting for Long Con in hopes that we can generate discussion about this post. This does reflect a pattern in Long Con's posts where he starts off in apparent ignorance of the game mechanics and then works his way up. It's possible he was just getting a feel for things and now he understands what was happening. Or something else. Let's talk about it.
Really? What games has he done this in, and was he town or mafia?
Luna's Wins/Losses
Jobs
Side Missions
Heists
Burglaries
Special Games
Sloonei
Cap'n Sloonbeard

Post by Sloonei »

Lunalee wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 12:32 pm
Sloonei wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 12:28 pm
I thought you promised to vote for me today. :p
I did. And I voted for you. I would never dream of leaving my vote in one place on the first day. Yuck, that's boring.
My banners:
ImageImageImageImage
Long Con
So Divine
Posts in topic: 237
Preferred Pronouns: boy ones

Post by Long Con »

Yes, I'm interested in hearing more about me, let's see this pattern.
Sloonei
Cap'n Sloonbeard

Post by Sloonei »

Lunalee wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 12:35 pm

Really? What games has he done this in, and was he town or mafia?
I'm only talking about this game specifically and the pattern you highlighted.
My banners:
ImageImageImageImage
Sloonei
Cap'n Sloonbeard

Post by Sloonei »

Long Con wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 12:38 pm Yes, I'm interested in hearing more about me, let's see this pattern.
What do you think of luna's post about you?
My banners:
ImageImageImageImage
Long Con
So Divine

Post by Long Con »

I assumed by that point in the day, it would have been done. Not that that matters. I was stirring up conversation on the subject to see if anything shook loose.
I was putting that out there to start talking about something in a game where we have almost nothing to go on. Not every question is asked because I don't have an answer already.
Again, going with conversation questions pertinent to the lack of info we have, to see if anyone goes on-topically pingy.
Which is just the kind of thing I was looking to find when I brought up recruitment-related stuff earlier.
I read and understood the rules just fine. I didn't say anything out of ignorance.
Long Con
So Divine

Post by Long Con »

speedchuck wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 11:36 amRead the freaking rules, dude.
I read the rules. Dr Light doesn't recruit.
And yes, I know I said recruited instead of received. Don't care.
Good for you. It's an important distinction to me.
Bullzeye
Racketeer

Post by Bullzeye »

I had thought about this as well but wasn't sure if it was worth bringing up. LC (in my opinion) is generally a smart player who wouldn't need to ask those kinds of questions. I've been bad with him once before in the Monty Python game where he basically carried our team to victory even after we lost two members super early and I got outed halfway through the game.
Sloonei wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 12:31 pm [mention]Bullzeye[/mention]'s big catch-up post just now establishes his presence in this game, but it doesn't offer much in terms of content. Do you have any reads or thoughts about any specific players in the game yet, Bullzeye?
welcome back
I take time to establish myself in games and one of the ways I try to get a good grip on everything is to just say unimportant stuff to get myself out there and work my way into conversations. As mentioned, I think the point about LC holds some weight. I would like to revisit some of the discussion around the recruitment mechanic from this morning, that could be interesting. Given that most players were neither baddies nor civs for the first 24 hours, people couldn't immediately start plotting and planting ideas to return to later like in normal games so I think this will force people to play differently. I have a point here but I'm struggling to find the words so I'll try to come back to it later.

I keep getting stuck in linki but I'm posting this anyway.
Sloonei
Cap'n Sloonbeard

Post by Sloonei »

[VOTE: ColinIsCool] aubergine. He swore to do two things: Get drunk and vote for [Turnip] Head. He got drunk, but I don't see a vote. I don't see anything else at all, actually.
My banners:
ImageImageImageImage
Sloonei
Cap'n Sloonbeard

Post by Sloonei »

Bullzeye wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 12:48 pm

I had thought about this as well but wasn't sure if it was worth bringing up. LC (in my opinion) is generally a smart player who wouldn't need to ask those kinds of questions. I've been bad with him once before in the Monty Python game where he basically carried our team to victory even after we lost two members super early and I got outed halfway through the game.
Is this to say LC wouldn't need to, or even be able to, feign ignorance like this on Day 1 of a game if he's bad?
Sloonei wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 12:31 pm Bullzeye's big catch-up post just now establishes his presence in this game, but it doesn't offer much in terms of content. Do you have any reads or thoughts about any specific players in the game yet, Bullzeye?
welcome back
I take time to establish myself in games and one of the ways I try to get a good grip on everything is to just say unimportant stuff to get myself out there and work my way into conversations. As mentioned, I think the point about LC holds some weight. I would like to revisit some of the discussion around the recruitment mechanic from this morning, that could be interesting. Given that most players were neither baddies nor civs for the first 24 hours, people couldn't immediately start plotting and planting ideas to return to later like in normal games so I think this will force people to play differently. I have a point here but I'm struggling to find the words so I'll try to come back to it later.

Any posts in particular that stand out to you? You're right about the Day 0 mechanic turning this into a bit of choppy start. We essentially played 24 hours where everyone was nothing. But I think things are happening now.
My banners:
ImageImageImageImage
Bullzeye
Racketeer

Post by Bullzeye »

Also, Sloonei, to your question of if I have thoughts about specific players. I didn't mention it explicitly when I quoted this post:
Infected_alien8_ wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 1:15 am Very initial first impression of the thread: Jay feels off, don't know why though
But I found it a bit shifty. Something to keep an eye on.
Bullzeye
Racketeer

Post by Bullzeye »

Sloonei wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 12:53 pm
Bullzeye wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 12:48 pm

Is this to say LC wouldn't need to, or even be able to, feign ignorance like this on Day 1 of a game if he's bad?
Yes. Sorry if that wasn't clear.

It's going to sound super lame but I think I'm really rusty after not playing for so long. My communication skills may not be 100% for the first couple of days until I get back into the swing of things.
Sloonei wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 12:31 pm Bullzeye's big catch-up post just now establishes his presence in this game, but it doesn't offer much in terms of content. Do you have any reads or thoughts about any specific players in the game yet, Bullzeye?
welcome back

Any posts in particular that stand out to you? You're right about the Day 0 mechanic turning this into a bit of choppy start. We essentially played 24 hours where everyone was nothing. But I think things are happening now.
Things are definitely picking up! I plan to have a proper look back through the early day 1 stuff, am trying to currently but I keep wanting to respond to the current conversation instead!
Sloonei
Cap'n Sloonbeard

Post by Sloonei »

Bullzeye wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 12:54 pm Also, Sloonei, to your question of if I have thoughts about specific players. I didn't mention it explicitly when I quoted this post:
Are you keeping an eye on Jack or Jay? Why?
My banners:
ImageImageImageImage
Sloonei
Cap'n Sloonbeard

Post by Sloonei »

No need to apologize if you feel you have rust to shake off, Bullzeye. That's going to be a natural feeling after such a long break. Also, don't let my interrogation do anything to discourage you! I just ask loads of questions and try to get things into the thread as thoroughly as possible for my own sake. you do you, I appreciate your input so far.
My banners:
ImageImageImageImage
Bullzeye
Racketeer

Post by Bullzeye »

Sloonei wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 12:59 pm
Bullzeye wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 12:54 pm Also, Sloonei, to your question of if I have thoughts about specific players. I didn't mention it explicitly when I quoted this post:
Jack. Because it's an "obvious conclusion" Jay would be a recruit. Sure, if the baddies were choosing players rather than roles they might like to pick someone with the reputation of Jay but that's not the case. It seems to me like something a baddie might say to cast doubt on someone they wanted rid of without having to go all out. Does that make sense?
Sloonei wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 1:02 pm No need to apologize if you feel you have rust to shake off, Bullzeye. That's going to be a natural feeling after such a long break. Also, don't let my interrogation do anything to discourage you! I just ask loads of questions and try to get things into the thread as thoroughly as possible for my own sake. you do you, I appreciate your input so far.
You're not discouraging, this is actually quite helpful :)
Sloonei
Cap'n Sloonbeard

Post by Sloonei »

Bullzeye wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 1:03 pm
Sloonei wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 12:59 pm
Jack. Because it's an "obvious conclusion" Jay would be a recruit. Sure, if the baddies were choosing players rather than roles they might like to pick someone with the reputation of Jay but that's not the case. It seems to me like something a baddie might say to cast doubt on someone they wanted rid of without having to go all out. Does that make sense?
It does. I came up with a different read on Jack based on some other behavior around this time, but I don't see any reason not to follow up on this line of though. Jack came in and started flinging lots of mud, but hasn't been around since. I'd like to hear his updated thoughts on things.
My banners:
ImageImageImageImage
speedchuck
Knight of No Renown
Posts in topic: 414

Post by speedchuck »

JaggedJimmyJay wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 12:08 pm speedchuck why did you vote for me
"Gee guys, nothing at all happened at the end of day one and I never got a recruitment PM no sirree"

That was your first post of D1, paraphrased by me. Or something like that. Why did you vote for me?
SIGNATURE:
Speedchuck wins the "Jack Torrance Has Always Been The Caretaker" award.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImage
Jackofhearts2005
something funny
Posts in topic: 503
Preferred Pronouns: He/His/Him

Post by Jackofhearts2005 »

JaggedJimmyJay wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 1:44 am I’m mildly inebriated
Rolehinting Light, huh? :ponder:
Long Con
So Divine

Post by Long Con »

nutella wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 2:09 am
JaggedJimmyJay wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 1:41 am
Quin wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 1:39 am Is this actually recruitment mafia? Been a few mentions of it but I've read nothing in thread to suggest it.
u r mafia recruiter
came here to say this
Why do you think speedchuck is a better vote than Quin?
Jackofhearts2005
something funny

Quin wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 1:48 am mac you've already posted text its too late for an emoji post gimmick
Co-signed.
Bullzeye
Racketeer

Post by Bullzeye »

Comments showing ignorance of the recruitment mechanic are listed below. First, a particularly noteworthy post from the signup thread.
Epignosis wrote: Sat Jul 28, 2018 11:03 pm For anybody wondering, the main mechanic is a recruitment: Most of the players will not begin as good or bad. Light and Wily will recruit roles. Wily will find out his mafia team of players gradually as they join BTSC. Light will not know his civilian team at all.
I remember it because it's what convinced me to sign up, recruitment being one of my favourite mechanics. I'll not bother quoting the opening post of the game that shows the main baddie picks four people to join his team during Day 0.
Quin wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 1:39 am Is this actually recruitment mafia? Been a few mentions of it but I've read nothing in thread to suggest it.
The above comments make this question sound crazy.
Long Con wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 1:00 am
JaggedJimmyJay wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 12:54 am
Long Con wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 12:52 am So, what are we dealing with here? Closed setup, and we don't even know which roles are on the bad team.

So, what is the method of catching someone on Day 1? Ask questions and hope someone slips up?
Create a whirlwind of a thread by facilitating maximal activity. Ask questions, make comments, and hurl accusations at every opportunity. The thread needs to be a pressured and even stressful environment.

I ain’t got no time fo’ dat today so y’all get busy.
When do you think the decisions on recruitment were made?
Going back to the LC discussion I find this to be one of the stranger questions he asks, because everyone knows when the decisions were made. Maybe not to the minute, but we can narrow it down to a specific 24 hour period.
Odd question considering it's pretty clearly four. Or five, if the recruiting bad guy is also a robot looking for robot friends. Either way, strange thing to ask.

I think there's merit to the idea of baddies feigning ignorance about the recruitment setup in order to appear innocent. Honestly, Quin's comment above strikes me as the most suspicious.
Bullzeye
Racketeer

Post by Bullzeye »

Bullzeye wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 1:41 pm Comments showing ignorance of the recruitment mechanic are listed below. First, a particularly noteworthy post from the signup thread.
Epignosis wrote: Sat Jul 28, 2018 11:03 pm For anybody wondering, the main mechanic is a recruitment: Most of the players will not begin as good or bad. Light and Wily will recruit roles. Wily will find out his mafia team of players gradually as they join BTSC. Light will not know his civilian team at all.
I remember it because it's what convinced me to sign up, recruitment being one of my favourite mechanics. I'll not bother quoting the opening post of the game that shows the main baddie picks four people to join his team during Day 0.
By people I do of course mean roles. Roles that are assigned to people.
JaggedJimmyJay

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

speedchuck wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 1:17 pm
JaggedJimmyJay wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 12:08 pm speedchuck why did you vote for me
"Gee guys, nothing at all happened at the end of day one and I never got a recruitment PM no sirree"

That was your first post of D1, paraphrased by me. Or something like that. Why did you vote for me?
cuz i thought you were making a crappy statement on my meta when you voted for me (i.e. jjj would NEVAR celebrate a quiet day 0)

u okay tho so i’ll probably vote for someone else whenever i feel like playing
Overall: 73-57 (.56) | Town 49-41 (.54) | Mafia 18-11 (.62) | Independent 6-4 (.60)

The Syndicate: Town 23-26; Mafia 10-5; Indy 5-1 | RateYourMusic: Town 14-13; Mafia 5-4; Indy 0-3 | Mafia Universe: Town 6-0; Mafia 1-0 | Student Doctor Network: Town 2-1; Mafia 1-0 | HeroClixRealms: Town 1-0; Mafia 0-1 | Bulbagarden: Mafia 0-1; Indy 1-0 | 2+2 POG: Town 1-0 | Naruto Forums: Town 0-1 | Personality Café: Town 1-0 | Vendetta Strada: Town 0-1 | Mafia451: Town 1-0 | Wintreath: Mafia 1-0

Awards:

The Syndicate

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Student Doctor Network

Rate Your Music

Best Scum, Maffies 3
Spirit Award, Maffies 9

Mafia Universe

Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage[-Mass Effect Mafia banner-]ImageImageImageImage
Jackofhearts2005
something funny

Speedchuck train is yucky.

#StrongStancesOnThingsUnread
Long Con
So Divine

Post by Long Con »

This is sketchy, and a stretch, on the reread. It's a sktretch.

It's more wishy-washy and noncommittal than water. Are you trying to be Switzerland here? Are you trying to catch baddies or be Involved In A Discussion? You cast a vote, which I can only assume is supposed to look like pressure, and then you proceed to post with as little pressure as possible on me.

And, I just have to focus on this sexy piece of blather: "This does reflect a pattern in Long Con's posts where he starts off in apparent ignorance of the game mechanics and then works his way up." Disappointed us when it wasn't a revelation-filled-look-at-past-games kind of pattern, but just you saying you see some pattern in the four posts Luna quoted. I can look at the horse picture behind my monitors and see, in the horse group, black-black-white-black-black-black-white, and yeah that's a possible pattern, and no it doesn't mean anything. PLUS, now it's maybe-suspicious in your world to move from ignorance to understanding as time progresses? Or are you Billy Pilgrim, displaced in time and confused about how I could have understanding at one point in time, and also have ignorance at another? We live in a linear world, buddy. Also, I was never ignorant of the answers to my questions, just to reiterate.
Turnip Head
Root Vegetable
Posts in topic: 432
Preferred Pronouns: they/their

Post by Turnip Head »

Long Con wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 12:38 pm Yes, I'm interested in hearing more about me, let's see this pattern.
What would you like to know?

Truly, we could write an essay on Long Con and how much he enjoys hearing about himself. There's nothing that pleases a Con more than to know he's one step ahead of the curve; whatever is cool, Con is cooler!, and he knows it!, and that's maybe the worst part. You can't sneak up on a Con with flattery. His disarmed bashfulness at your compliments will be well-acted, but emotionally unearned. Internally he's already scheming about how to get even Connier.

Many people think he's this one thing, but really he's a lot of other things too, and that should begin to whet your curiosity's appetite for how many layers this Con onion has. He's quick. He's feisty. He's flirty. He's vulnerable. He's got a strong sense of self-efficacy. He is constantly searching for his own worth.

He doesn't need to know how to catch bad guys, he just needs to be around them. He dangles from the canopy of the thread, and when he sees a threat, he envelops himself in his conly aura, gently massaging his suspicions in a dark and lonely corner.

Other times you'll see a Con active in the wild, casually tossing dingleberries at the dougalls and the jays manging about down on the forest floor. This Con is often the most fun to observe, and yet the least useful from a practical game-solving standpoint. But Con doesn't care about being practical. Con lives in the wind.

Perhaps my favorite flavor is comically deranged Con. This Con crosses the alignment spectrum, so you can maybe catch a glimpse of one be he FEB, town, or indy. This is a Con who has lost his grasp on reality and is just spinning his gears whichever way his current existential crisis takes him. He could turn the whole game into an ashy pile of chaotic rubble, crashing to its knees. You really never know.
Sloonei
Cap'n Sloonbeard

Post by Sloonei »

I never suspected you, Long Con. I just wanted to make conversation happen.
My banners:
ImageImageImageImage
Turnip Head
Root Vegetable
Posts in topic: 432
Preferred Pronouns: they/their

Post by Turnip Head »

Sloonei wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 2:00 pm I never suspected you, Long Con. I just wanted to make conversation happen.
Why didn't you ever suspect Long Con?
Lunalee
Loan Shark

Post by Lunalee »

Long Con wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 1:55 pm

It's more wishy-washy and noncommittal than water. Are you trying to be Switzerland here? Are you trying to catch baddies or be Involved In A Discussion? You cast a vote, which I can only assume is supposed to look like pressure, and then you proceed to post with as little pressure as possible on me.

And, I just have to focus on this sexy piece of blather: "This does reflect a pattern in Long Con's posts where he starts off in apparent ignorance of the game mechanics and then works his way up." Disappointed us when it wasn't a revelation-filled-look-at-past-games kind of pattern, but just you saying you see some pattern in the four posts Luna quoted. I can look at the horse picture behind my monitors and see, in the horse group, black-black-white-black-black-black-white, and yeah that's a possible pattern, and no it doesn't mean anything. PLUS, now it's maybe-suspicious in your world to move from ignorance to understanding as time progresses? Or are you Billy Pilgrim, displaced in time and confused about how I could have understanding at one point in time, and also have ignorance at another? We live in a linear world, buddy. Also, I was never ignorant of the answers to my questions, just to reiterate.
So you claim you were attempting to set scum traps with your questions? Or just get discussion flowing? If the latter, I would rather have discussions about players and their posts and reads, than game mechanics. Discussing mechanics is always a good distraction from the more important discussions at hand.
Luna's Wins/Losses
Jobs
Side Missions
Heists
Burglaries
Special Games
Long Con
So Divine

Post by Long Con »

Turnip Head wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 1:56 pm

Truly, we could write an essay on Long Con and how much he enjoys hearing about himself. There's nothing that pleases a Con more than to know he's one step ahead of the curve; whatever is cool, Con is cooler!, and he knows it!, and that's maybe the worst part. You can't sneak up on a Con with flattery. His disarmed bashfulness at your compliments will be well-acted, but emotionally unearned. Internally he's already scheming about how to get even Connier.

Many people think he's this one thing, but really he's a lot of other things too, and that should begin to whet your curiosity's appetite for how many layers this Con onion has. He's quick. He's feisty. He's flirty. He's vulnerable. He's got a strong sense of self-efficacy. He is constantly searching for his own worth.

He doesn't need to know how to catch bad guys, he just needs to be around them. He dangles from the canopy of the thread, and when he sees a threat, he envelops himself in his conly aura, gently massaging his suspicions in a dark and lonely corner.

Other times you'll see a Con active in the wild, casually tossing dingleberries at the dougalls and the jays manging about down on the forest floor. This Con is often the most fun to observe, and yet the least useful from a practical game-solving standpoint. But Con doesn't care about being practical. Con lives in the wind.

Perhaps my favorite flavor is comically deranged Con. This Con crosses the alignment spectrum, so you can maybe catch a glimpse of one be he FEB, town, or indy. This is a Con who has lost his grasp on reality and is just spinning his gears whichever way his current existential crisis takes him. He could turn the whole game into an ashy pile of chaotic rubble, crashing to its knees. You really never know.
See, Turnip Head gets me.
JaggedJimmyJay

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

it’s kind of fascinating to play like a goober because i have read nearly everything and still have no clue what’s going on. the only difference is my general apathy and it affects all of my reasoning and intuitive skills.

cool

Awards:

The Syndicate

Student Doctor Network

Rate Your Music

Best Scum, Maffies 3
Spirit Award, Maffies 9

Mafia Universe

Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

JaggedJimmyJay

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

i just don’t know about you sloobei

Awards:

The Syndicate

Student Doctor Network

Rate Your Music

Best Scum, Maffies 3
Spirit Award, Maffies 9

Mafia Universe

Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

Long Con
So Divine

Post by Long Con »

Lunalee wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 2:05 pm
Long Con wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 1:55 pm

So you claim you were attempting to set scum traps with your questions? Or just get discussion flowing? If the latter, I would rather have discussions about players and their posts and reads, than game mechanics. Discussing mechanics is always a good distraction from the more important discussions at hand.
'Scum traps' is a bit strong. 'Discussion flowing' is more accurate. I'd also prefer posts and reads, but this was during a Day 0 when, as far as we know, very few alignments had even been set. That's pretty relevant when talking about the content of my posts during that time.
K-Ness
Posts in topic: 79

Post by K-Ness »

Kylemii wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 10:03 am
do you mean ping in a legitimate sense or like in a pet peeve sense

reploids and mavericks seem like convenient words for defining good and bad robots in this game since the original games don't have any real provided terminology or plot (as far as I know?) and the definition at least loosely applies since reploids are defined by their free will and mavericks are defined by being robo-jerks
I meant in a pet peeve sense, with some slight legitimacy. At first I thought maybe there was some offhand mention about being reploids to the recruited robot masters, a simple mistake taking a term used only for Mega Man X series characters (Mega Man, which takes place before the X series, only refers to robot masters). The worst part about it is that none of the robot masters can technically be considered reploids, as it's a term referring to an android that is replicated as a human (Mega Man fits this description, as do Roll and Proto Man, but the term wasn't used until X came along).

The reason I mostly shrug it off in the end is because Maverick would make more sense as villain nomenclature, but again, we're looking at an X term so even that wouldn't be expected to be used.

*really trying not to get bogged down into semantics this game, as that usually causes tunnel vision and leads to garbage plays on my end, but it's something to file in the back of my mind*
Sloonei
Cap'n Sloonbeard

Post by Sloonei »

Turnip Head wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 2:01 pm
Sloonei wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 2:00 pm I never suspected you, Long Con. I just wanted to make conversation happen.
Why didn't you ever suspect Long Con?
Because I just saw him as a player working on his understanding of the game and/or trying to get others involved.

I encouraged discussion of luna’s points about him because I wanted there to be a new avenue for the conversation to flow in. The posts she highlighted did reflect a pattern, so I didn’t want to deny the discussion of them. I don’t find the pattern suspicious at this time.
My banners:
ImageImageImageImage
JaggedJimmyJay

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

KYLE

Awards:

The Syndicate

Student Doctor Network

Rate Your Music

Best Scum, Maffies 3
Spirit Award, Maffies 9

Mafia Universe

Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

Sloonei
Cap'n Sloonbeard

Post by Sloonei »

As to my ignorance of the mafia team size: I read the setup months ago when we were voting on the full game queue. I knew recruitment was involved, but forgot the major details. To refresh myself, I only read Wily’s role description, which makes no mention of the number of recruits he will have.
My banners:
ImageImageImageImage
Sloonei
Cap'n Sloonbeard

Post by Sloonei »

JaggedJimmyJay wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 2:08 pm i just don’t know about you sloobei
My banners:
ImageImageImageImage
Jackofhearts2005
something funny

Re: Mega Man Mafia [Day0]

Quin wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 3:04 am
Sloonei wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 3:02 am
Quin wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 2:59 am
Sloonei wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 2:58 am
Quin wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 2:56 am
Sloonei wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 2:52 am
Jackofhearts2005 wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 1:02 am
Scumread. :omg:
Jack threw a scumread on me for a post I made before I had an alignment. I assume he did the same for others.

This gives me a townread on Jack.
Jack isn't the recruiter. I'll say that. I don't know about the rest of it since he may not have had an alignment at the time himself.
We were well into Day 1 when he started throwing these posts around. He had an alignment.
Take it back then. I assumed it happened during Day 0. What do you mean by not having an alignment during Day 1 then?
I said nothing about not having an alignment Day 1.

Jack, on Day 1, gave me a scumread based on a post I made on Day 0.
Okay. I get you now. Do you think it was just townie ignorance then?
Maybe it had nothing to do with Sloonei’s post. :mafia:
Jackofhearts2005
something funny

Hottakes: Nutella (in spite of SC vote) and Mac are town.
Kylemii
Bodice of Reason
Posts in topic: 338
Preferred Pronouns: he/him

Post by Kylemii »

Jay <3
Jackofhearts2005
something funny

Long Con wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 10:58 am Light doesn't recruit. Just Wiley. The reason I know this is that I didn't get notified Wiley recruited me. The reason you don't know this...

[VOTE: speedchuck] aubergine
Eeeeeeeeh. This post comes from a townie but I disagree with you in principle and execution.

Return to “Previous Jobs”