Random~

Kick back and relax by discussing anything unrelated to mafia at The Syndicate's Speakeasy.

Moderator: Community Team

Epignosis
Skeletor
Posts in topic: 393

Re: Random~

Post by Epignosis »

DharmaHelper wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 10:34 pm
Easy fix

"Who wants to hand back these papers?"
Easy way to lose your teaching license.

Grades are protected by FERPA.

"Under FERPA a school may not disclose a student’s grades to another student without the prior written consent of the parent or eligible student."
Stream my music for free: https://epignosis.bandcamp.com/
DharmaHelper
Capo Regime (Street Boss)
Posts in topic: 77

Post by DharmaHelper »

Epignosis wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 10:43 pm
Easy fix

"Under FERPA a school may not disclose a student’s grades to another student without the prior written consent of the parent or eligible student."
FERPA DEEZ NUTS
our Linkitis is our lives.

ImageImage
ImageImage
Epignosis
Skeletor

Post by Epignosis »

DharmaHelper wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 10:35 pm One of my old HS teachers had an intake/outtake system. Kinda dumb in retrospect but basically a bin for each period with graded work stapled together or w/e.
I have a bin for each period and an out bin.

Students routinely put their work in the wrong bin (including the out bin). That results in delays (but I get to it eventually, since it's somewhere on my desk). They just bitch that they got a zero for something that they turned in.
DharmaHelper

Post by DharmaHelper »

Epignosis wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 10:45 pm
DharmaHelper wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 10:35 pm One of my old HS teachers had an intake/outtake system. Kinda dumb in retrospect but basically a bin for each period with graded work stapled together or w/e.

Students routinely put their work in the wrong bin (including the out bin). That results in delays (but I get to it eventually, since it's somewhere on my desk). They just bitch that they got a zero for something that they turned in.
What you need is a T-Shirt canon. Blast the lil fuckers with plastic tins containing 3 pounds of homework and written essay projects.

ImageImage
ImageImage
Epignosis
Skeletor

Post by Epignosis »

DharmaHelper wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 10:48 pm

What you need is a T-Shirt canon. Blast the lil fuckers with plastic tins containing 3 pounds of homework and written essay projects.
Yes. Cannons at school. I will surely be keeping my job.
DharmaHelper

Post by DharmaHelper »

Epignosis wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 10:50 pm
DharmaHelper wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 10:48 pm

Yes. Cannons at school. I will surely be keeping my job.
Damned if you do damned if you don't.

Everybody's a critic.

ImageImage
ImageImage
juliets
Dancing Pancake
Posts in topic: 174
Preferred Pronouns: she/her/hers
Aka: jules

Post by juliets »

Well Epi, maybe you could look at it this way: that's the ONLY THING they could find wrong? I'd say that's pretty damn good if thats the only thing they could find wrong, shows what a good job you're doing.
JaggedJimmyJay wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 3:24 pm Always good to remember that there is no such thing as a Mafia circumstance that is worth real human emotion. Sometimes it will naturally come out, but it can be contained if we just remember that this is a game on a message board forum that 99.99% of the population of the Earth has never heard of before. No matter how successful anyone is, it means just about nothing.

Spoiler: show
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
Lunalee
Loan Shark
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Lunalee »

Epignosis wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 10:43 pm
Easy fix

Your post of being slow handing back papers cracked me up. :haha:

A professor of mine who taught a large auditorium class fixed this issue by writing the student's grade on the second page of the exam, while the student's name was on the first page. The exams were sorted in boxes alphabetically for pick-up.
Luna's Wins/Losses
Jobs
Ancient Greece Mafia - civilian - loss
U-Pick Mafia - mafia - loss
Retrocausality Mafia - mafia - loss
Mega Man Mafia - mafia - win
Hogwarts Mafia - civilian - loss
Side Missions
Image Mafia - civilian - loss
Courage the Cowardly Dog Mafia - civilian - loss
Heists
Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me - civilian - loss
Friends Mafia - civilian - loss
Daily Fantasy Mafia - civilian - win
Everyone's Insane! - mafia - win
Space Force - civilian - loss
Burglaries
Murder on the Owl Express - third party - loss
Operation Refrigerator Restoration - civilian - win
One Hour Werewolf - Tanner - loss
Awful Overplayed Dadrock Mafia - civilian - loss
Dethy Game - civilian - loss
Special Games
Two-Headed Monster Mafia - civilian - win
Quin
Indecent Bastard
Posts in topic: 26

Post by Quin »

My contract working at my local university as an RA ends in November. I had a meeting with my supervisor today and found out that unfortunately it's not getting extended. She wanted to keep me again next year for another project but it hasn't been approved, so I'll have to find something else to do next year.

It's not so bad though. She'd been egging me on to do my masters next year anyway, and I decided that's what I'm going to do. She'll still be my supervisor which is probably one of the best things about it.
Lunalee wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 9:13 amQuin's ISO is full of posts that are actually trying to be helpful to the game. This doesn't look like town Quin.
ImageImageImageImage
Long Con
So Divine
Posts in topic: 84
Preferred Pronouns: boy ones

Post by Long Con »

juliets wrote: Wed Oct 03, 2018 8:37 am Well Epi, maybe you could look at it this way: that's the ONLY THING they could find wrong? I'd say that's pretty damn good if thats the only thing they could find wrong, shows what a good job you're doing.
That was my main takeaway. It's so lame and non-critical that I would believe that he's required to give some criticism, and really had trouble criticizing you.
dunya
GOAT Whisperer
Posts in topic: 53

Post by dunya »

I don't usually talk about my personal struggles or emotions, but I feel like sometimes I might self implode if I don't let some of it out. Since it's depression awareness month, a lot of facebook posts in my home feed have been about it and some have been less kind to the struggles than others, which makes me a combination of very sad and very disappointed.

I have battled with depression previously in my life (over 10 years ago to be more specific), and while I struggled on and off for several years, I was able to overcome it for the most part. That doesn't mean I haven't struggled with myself ever since; being someone who feels a lot of anxiety over things not within my immediate control, I am often sent into a spiral of negative emotions and I am not exaggerating when I say that it is almost a daily battle that I have to choose to not give into. I'm mostly successful, but I have many days where I can struggle to find balance or answers, or the ability to love and appreciate myself enough.

I have rarely allowed anyone to see the more insecure and fragile side of me. I may come across confident, and someone who has her shit entirely together, but I am definitely not always the best version of myself. And that's ok. I am ok with that. I am someone who struggles to externalize internal feelings and I am trying to change that slowly but gradually and acknowledge these "imperfections" in me.

Over the past week or so, I have read some of my own group of acquaintances and friends' opinions about depression, anxiety, or other mental disorders, as though they are self inflicted, brought upon ourselves because of constant negativity, laziness, apathy to life or some such. It makes me sad. So much that I don't even have the will to argue or dispute it. It's not self-inflicted; it's not my fault. It's not something I can will away by just "being happy" or "not worrying too much". That doesn't mean I don't try. That doesn't means I am encouraging my anxiety, or that I am in any way fueling it by recognizing I have a problem. It is something I am aware of and actively deal with to stay on top of it.

I do have a lot to be grateful for, especially my closest friends who have always understood my need for space or closeness at various times and never failed to show up when I needed them the most. I have the most supportive family who make me feel loved and cherished, and I am also forever grateful for them. I have a good life, and I have a good bunch of people in my life, but I have emotional and mental struggles despite all of that and I really wish some people wouldn't go undermining other people's feelings because they don't understand. It makes me more and more resistant to opening up about my own issues when I see how unfairly judged we can be. :puppy:
speedchuck
Knight of No Renown
Posts in topic: 15

Post by speedchuck »

Speaking as someone who used to be one of those people...

It's hard for people to deal with things that they don't understand. They can't relate, and they blame it on the other person to make up for it. A part of that is the desire that the world be fair, or the fear that something like depression could exist, could be a disease. There are a lot of factors. Same goes for many of the other prejudices out there.

That doesn't mean it is excusable.

I hate that you have to deal with that kind of judgment, and I wish I wasn't once the person to (albeit silently) contribute to it. Who am I, and who are they, to tell you how you feel? To tell you its your fault? The mere fact that we haven't experienced the monster that is depression disqualifies us to judge or to lay blame. You are the authority. It is you, and people like you, that understand what it's like and the true struggle that is overcoming it.

As someone who doesn't truly understand depression, anxiety, and things such as that, I need to shut up and be someone people can lean on for support, even when I don't understand.

The world is getting better, and I hope you don't let people who speak in their ignorance stop you from getting the support you need. From friends, from family, from those that'll help you out. I can't tell you to ignore them, because it doesn't work like that, but I can add to the voices that are happy to reach out and be there, or to hear you out when you struggle.
SIGNATURE:
Speedchuck wins the "Jack Torrance Has Always Been The Caretaker" award.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImage
speedchuck
Knight of No Renown
Posts in topic: 15

Post by speedchuck »

Also, I didn't mean to press submit without reviewing all that, but I just wanted you to know that I read your post and it spoke to me. Hope you continue to be well, and I'm happy to listen.
SIGNATURE:
Speedchuck wins the "Jack Torrance Has Always Been The Caretaker" award.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImage
dunya
GOAT Whisperer

Post by dunya »

Thank you for sharing, speedchuck; I appreciate you very much. It's comforting to see someone who can be empathetic without experiencing any of it themselves...and I might take you up on that sooner than you think. (:
Dragon D. Luffy
The Pirate
Posts in topic: 70
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by Dragon D. Luffy »

I wanted to say some nice things but recent events have given me a pretty dark view of the humanity as it is. I'll try.

I do think that humans just have a hard time grasping new concepts that are unconfortable. Depression is one of them. But this changes eventually. As new generations come, people become more open minded to new ideas, including the one that people can get sad for no obvious reason, and that they need treatment for it.

I don't think I've ever had actual depression but I think I've had some moments of loneliness that came close to it and they were terrible. I can't even imagine what you went through.

But the sun will rise again. People will get smarter, and kinder, and more open-minded. Humanity only goes forward, and we get better.
Epignosis
Skeletor

Post by Epignosis »

I drink, therefore I do not judge.
Dragon D. Luffy
The Pirate

Ok so I also need to vent about something.

I've spent the last few months engaging in politics. Reading hundreds of articles about it, arguing in the internet, picking candidates for the upcoming election.

In general the experience has been terrible. Suffice to say my country is about to elect what amounts to Donald Trump's more bigoted and violent cousin, and as a left-wing person, that is making me miserable.

It's also been the ultimate challenge to my empathy. Sometimes I feel like I'm surrounded by monsters. My countrymen are a bunch of savages who would murder everyone around them if given the chance. Then I remember only some of them are like this, and most are just scared and locked into social systems that are complex and make them act in irrational and selfish ways.

Political news gets worse every day, though. Now this week a bunch of stories about people getting killed and beaten and tortured in the streets are surfacing, and yet I keep seeing people online, including friends who I used to respect, supporting it all, or pretending it's not real. And the fascist guy keeps going up and up in the polls.

I need to disensage from all that. If I keep trying to fight this wave I'll fail and it will do a number on my mental health.

I need distractions. Hence why I just pushed a mafia game to start.

Anyway, thanks for reading this rant. I just wanted to post it. There isn't really much you can guys can do except being here and spending time with me doing something that actually makes me feel good about other people, and that's good enough.
Dragon D. Luffy
The Pirate

Not gonna start a discussion about the subject because I'm trying to do the exact opposite, and this is not the (RIP) Politics Thread. If you want to hear details, there's a thread in another forum I can link to if you want, where I've talked extensively about it.
Epignosis
Skeletor

Post by Epignosis »

Blows me away that Trump has a Brazilian cousin and yet he still wants a wall.
Dragon D. Luffy
The Pirate

Epignosis wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:31 pm Blows me away that Trump has a Brazilian cousin and yet he still wants a wall.
I'd want a wall too if that guy was my cousin. :doh:
Epignosis
Skeletor

Post by Epignosis »

I'm not going to lie:

The first thing I think of when someone says "Brazilian" is this:

I cannot post the second thing I think of. :)
Dragon D. Luffy
The Pirate

Well his head is on fire so it's legit.

Brazil comes from brasa, which means "blaze" in Portuguese. Because of some red tree we used to have here.
Epignosis
Skeletor

Post by Epignosis »

Today I learned something. Always glad when that happens.
Dragon D. Luffy
The Pirate

[mention]dunya[/mention]'s post reminds me of a speech I saw in this webcomic I read: http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots1130.html

(it's page 1130 so I'm not gonna explain the plot. But it's a great comic I recommend to everyone, especially RPG lovers)

Anyway, the quote is:

"You told me before you are who you are on the worst day of your life. And that's true. That's 100% true. But you know who else you are? You are who you are on the next day. The day you wake up and have to decide: "are you gonna make this the new worst day of your life, or not?" And you are who you are on the day after that, which can also be your new worst, or not.

You are who you are on all of your days. All of them. Including the worst and the best. Every single one counts. All of them. To the end. And when you have a new worst day, you can get stuck there, looking back on it and worrying. And that's normal. And sooner or later, you gotta take all the pain and do something with it. Try to make something better out of it."

Just a little philosophy.
Epignosis
Skeletor

Post by Epignosis »

Might be our first area of total agreement.
Turnip Head
Root Vegetable
Posts in topic: 12
Preferred Pronouns: they/their

Post by Turnip Head »

Today is National Coming Out Day so I wanted to share something. For a long time now I've identified myself as transgender. It's something I've kept hidden from my friends and family, mainly because I had no avenue to pursue it financially. I've never felt comfortable in my body, I've always felt like something was wrong on a fundamental level.

So, the idea is that this is something I'm finally going to act on. The road ahead looks long and challenging, but I can now say I have a real direction and real goals for my life whereas I previously had none of those things. It feels like I'm taking control of my own happiness for the first time.
DharmaHelper

Post by DharmaHelper »

Turnip Head wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:41 am Today is National Coming Out Day so I wanted to share something. For a long time now I've identified myself as transgender. It's something I've kept hidden from my friends and family, mainly because I had no avenue to pursue it financially. I've never felt comfortable in my body, I've always felt like something was wrong on a fundamental level.

So, the idea is that this is something I'm finally going to act on. The road ahead looks long and challenging, but I can now say I have a real direction and real goals for my life whereas I previously had none of those things. It feels like I'm taking control of my own happiness for the first time.
Overjoyed for you my friend.

ImageImage
ImageImage
juliets
Dancing Pancake

Post by juliets »

Turnip Head wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:41 am Today is National Coming Out Day so I wanted to share something. For a long time now I've identified myself as transgender. It's something I've kept hidden from my friends and family, mainly because I had no avenue to pursue it financially. I've never felt comfortable in my body, I've always felt like something was wrong on a fundamental level.

So happy for you TH. If you need someone to lean on I'm here for you and I'm sure many others are as well.
JaggedJimmyJay wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 3:24 pm Always good to remember that there is no such thing as a Mafia circumstance that is worth real human emotion. Sometimes it will naturally come out, but it can be contained if we just remember that this is a game on a message board forum that 99.99% of the population of the Earth has never heard of before. No matter how successful anyone is, it means just about nothing.

ImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
Dragon D. Luffy
The Pirate

Same here, my friend. Whatever you chose, I hope it makes you happy.

So I'm supposed to refer to you as a she now? Just making sure I get it.
ColinIsCool
Hitman
Posts in topic: 17

Post by ColinIsCool »

Thanks for sharing, Turbup, and best of luck moving forward. :beer:
DharmaHelper

Post by DharmaHelper »

Dragon D. Luffy wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 3:17 pm Same here, my friend. Whatever you chose, I hope it makes you happy.

Hernip Head

ImageImage
ImageImage
Turnip Head
Root Vegetable
Posts in topic: 12
Preferred Pronouns: they/their

Post by Turnip Head »

Thanks y'all :slick: You guys are the best. I feel completely safe posting here.

Dragon D. Luffy wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 3:17 pm Same here, my friend. Whatever you chose, I hope it makes you happy.

Well I think this is more a personal preference kinda thing, both for the transperson and for the person who's addressing them. The personal pronouns don't bother me one way or the other right now since I'm just getting started. Use whatever feels most comfortable to you, I'm still a turnip head.
Epignosis
Skeletor

Post by Epignosis »

Turnip Head wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 3:36 pm I feel completely safe posting here.
Oh, do ya now? :charlieblackmon:
nutella
Connoisseur of Spice
Posts in topic: 61

Post by nutella »

Love you all @ TH and dunya and ddl :hugs:
to the spoiler go the victories:
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image ImageImage Image Image Image
Image Image Image Image
Image Image Image Image Image
Image Image
Dragon D. Luffy
The Pirate

@ Epi

Epignosis
Skeletor

Post by Epignosis »

That sad truth is that many of those 18-year-olds are freshmen.
Enrique
Loan Shark
Posts in topic: 7

Post by Enrique »

<33 so happy for you TH! It's really brave of you to take action and pursue this. You know your mafia family's got your back always. :hugs:

[mention]Dragon D. Luffy[/mention] stay very safe friend, things are looking very scary. If you need to vent about our horrible poisoned continent at any point feel free to hit the DMs.
ImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
Enrique
Loan Shark
Posts in topic: 7

Post by Enrique »

oh wow and happy birthday ddl!
ImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
Dragon D. Luffy
The Pirate

Thanks for both things, man.
dunya
GOAT Whisperer

Post by dunya »

some good news in the midst of all the poop going on: looks like my amazing vet at home is going to agree to make a pet passport for Lizzy with my details as owner despite her original owner being such a horrible human to me and Lizzy and withholding her ownership after abandoning her over 8 years ago. so yes, there is a god. and yes, karma is real. and yes, Lizzy will love the warmth of France!

also, as of today i have decided to refrain from using any curse words since living with my bro for 4 years has turned me into a potty mouth for sure and I don't wan't to slip on the new job in the future.
juliets
Dancing Pancake

Post by juliets »

YAY FOR LIZZY! I would hate to think of her being an outlaw in her new country. She will find lots of sunny places to curl up in France. And as for the cursing, I bet you'll hear a lot of it at work out of others mouths!

ImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
Epignosis
Skeletor

Post by Epignosis »

I miss the real Lizzy.
nutella
Connoisseur of Spice
Posts in topic: 61

Post by nutella »

yay lizzy gets to be french!! give her a beret or something :p
to the spoiler go the victories:
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image ImageImage Image Image Image
Image Image Image Image
Image Image Image Image Image
Image Image
Sloonei
Cap'n Sloonbeard
Posts in topic: 39
Preferred Pronouns: he/his/him

Post by Sloonei »

dunya wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 9:36 am some good news in the midst of all the poop going on: looks like my amazing vet at home is going to agree to make a pet passport for Lizzy with my details as owner despite her original owner being such a horrible human to me and Lizzy and withholding her ownership after abandoning her over 8 years ago. so yes, there is a god. and yes, karma is real. and yes, Lizzy will love the warmth of France!

also, as of today i have decided to refrain from using any curse words since living with my bro for 4 years has turned me into a potty mouth for sure and I don't wan't to slip on the new job in the future.
Have you thought of any good curse word substitutes?
My banners:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
dunya
GOAT Whisperer

Post by dunya »

Sloonei wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 2:59 pm Have you thought of any good curse word substitutes?
I've gone back to saying "poop" and "ouf" and "grrrr" a lot. Also, "akhh" and darn it! I should probably lose the poop since I'm not 4 years old. ;-p

got any good ones?
Long Con
So Divine

Post by Long Con »

Learn some Klingon.
Epignosis
Skeletor

Post by Epignosis »

dunya wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 1:29 pm
Sloonei wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 2:59 pm Have you thought of any good curse word substitutes?
I've gone back to saying "poop" and "ouf" and "grrrr" a lot. Also, "akhh" and darn it! I should probably lose the poop since I'm not 4 years old. ;-p

got any good ones?
"Bob Saget!"
Sloonei
Cap'n Sloonbeard
Posts in topic: 39
Preferred Pronouns: he/his/him

Post by Sloonei »

“Hot diggity daffodil” always works for expeessing excitement.
My banners:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Long Con
So Divine

Post by Long Con »

Is The Syndicate going to still be here?
juliets
Dancing Pancake

Post by juliets »

Long Con wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:44 am Is The Syndicate going to still be here?
Yes! Absolutely.

ImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage

Return to “The Speakeasy”