[END] Harry Potter Mafia

Moderator: Community Team

Young Lady
Sockpuppet Account
Posts in topic: 43

Re: [DAY 6] Harry Potter Mafia

Post by Young Lady »

Alizon Device wrote: Malin Matsdotter~

Malin initiated the lynch on Bridget Bishop (civvie) AND Margaret Peason (civvie). For someone who knew what the gambler's fallacy was, Malin seemed to vote for people for really weak reasons. I did not read Bridget Bishop as having knowledge of Voldemort's secrets, and other people shared that interpretation of Brig's posts. It seemed purposefully obtuse. This doesn't sound genuine to me. Considering Mary Eastey's antics, no one listening to Malin might actually be true. The Margaret lynch didn't make much sense to me, but Malin implied it was obvious. Finally, it could be interpreted that Malin tried to save Mary (again) by jumping on my suspicion of Maret.
Sounds like the most obvious choice to me. *votes Malin*
Supervisor
Perd Hapley
Sockpuppet Account
Posts in topic: 19

Post by Perd Hapley »

Sound analysis of Malin. I was already loking her way, so I'll vote there too.
Julinook
Hydra Account
Posts in topic: 53
Aka: Juliets + Nanook

Post by Julinook »

I think imma vote for alizon.
Spooky Ghost
Sockpuppet Account
Posts in topic: 180

Post by Spooky Ghost »

Barbara, are you looking at anyone else?
Julinook
Hydra Account
Aka: Juliets + Nanook

Post by Julinook »

Not really, tbh, I'm very busy this week so I dont have time to make cases against anyone.
Operator
Sockpuppet Account
Posts in topic: 131

Post by Operator »

I don't think Alizon is bad. I also don't think I'm bad, and I think Alizon's case on me is flawed.

I have had weak reasons a lot of the time because I have not had that much time this game to do detailed analysis. In fact, I plan on taking a mafia hiatus after this game until I have more time. I may have helped lead lynches against people who turned out to be civ, but at least that is me trying. The criticism seems to be that I simultaneously try and don't try enough. Bad medicine.

Not sure who I will vote for yet. May end up having to save myself.
Management
Spooky Ghost
Sockpuppet Account

Post by Spooky Ghost »

Vote Alizon
Phoebe Buffay
Sockpuppet Account
Posts in topic: 82

Re: [DAY 5] Harry Potter Mafia

Post by Phoebe Buffay »

You have oversimplified the case against you Malin. It is not about how hard you are or are not trying. I find you suspicious for trying to dismiss player's thoughts as being invalid and for guiding discussion in ways that suit your agenda.
Malin Matsdotter wrote:
Märet Jonsdotter wrote: You don't think your complete dismissal of everything I said completely crushed discussion?
No. First of all "everything you said" consisted of one question of no more than a dozen words. I merely offered an opinion on it when asked. I fully expected others to say "I agree with Malin because..." or "I disagree with Malin because..." I thought that was how discussion was supposed to work. Do I have to agree with you in order to encourage discussion?
Here you say that you assume people will agree or disagree with your response to Maret's question, admitting that you think your opinion will be a guiding force in how the discussion goes. But in your very next post/ response to Maret:
Malin Matsdotter wrote:
Märet Jonsdotter wrote: Really? Because you seemed pretty read to kill my discussion from the get go.
Well I wasn't. I don't know what else I can say. I can't control what other people choose to discuss or not to discuss.
Here you try to avoid accountability for guiding discussion.

It seems that you want people to agree with you but don't want to be held accountable when they do.
Jack Shephard
Sockpuppet Account
Posts in topic: 175

Post by Jack Shephard »

The next sockpuppet game I play, I'm not going to say a word. Mafia has to be the only game in the world where you can win without participating.

Voted Malin.
Operator
Sockpuppet Account

Post by Operator »

Jane Southworth wrote:You have oversimplified the case against you Malin. It is not about how hard you are or are not trying. I find you suspicious for trying to dismiss player's thoughts as being invalid and for guiding discussion in ways that suit your agenda.
Malin Matsdotter wrote:
Märet Jonsdotter wrote: You don't think your complete dismissal of everything I said completely crushed discussion?
No. First of all "everything you said" consisted of one question of no more than a dozen words. I merely offered an opinion on it when asked. I fully expected others to say "I agree with Malin because..." or "I disagree with Malin because..." I thought that was how discussion was supposed to work. Do I have to agree with you in order to encourage discussion?
Here you say that you assume people will agree or disagree with your response to Maret's question, admitting that you think your opinion will be a guiding force in how the discussion goes. But in your very next post/ response to Maret:
Malin Matsdotter wrote:
Märet Jonsdotter wrote: Really? Because you seemed pretty read to kill my discussion from the get go.
Well I wasn't. I don't know what else I can say. I can't control what other people choose to discuss or not to discuss.
Here you try to avoid accountability for guiding discussion.

It seems that you want people to agree with you but don't want to be held accountable when they do.
If I think I have found a baddie, of course I want people to agree with me. If it turns out I am wrong, though, I don't see how their actions are my fault. That's like blaming drunk driving on the bartender.

I voted Maret again.
Management
Gunther
Sockpuppet Account
Posts in topic: 96

Post by Gunther »

voted alizon.
Phoebe Buffay
Sockpuppet Account
Posts in topic: 82

Post by Phoebe Buffay »

Voting Malin. I'm hoping both she and Alizon are bad, they have defended each other and been in agreement on some odd things, but I think the case on Malin is stronger.
Spooky Ghost
Sockpuppet Account

Post by Spooky Ghost »

Malin Matsdotter wrote:
If I think I have found a baddie, of course I want people to agree with me. If it turns out I am wrong, though, I don't see how their actions are my fault. That's like blaming drunk driving on the bartender.

I voted Maret again.
Why?
Lizzy
Drug Dealer
Posts in topic: 67

Re: [POLLS] Harry Potter Mafia

Post by Lizzy »

Day 6
Who deserves a gruesome death?

Poll ended at Sat Mar 01, 2014 1:29 am

Merga Bien
No votes

Alizon Device
Anne Whittle (4), Merga Bien (6), Anne Redferne (8), Barbara Kollerin (12), Sarah Good (13), Märet Jonsdotter (14), Katharina Henot (17)
39%

Sarah Good
No votes

Katharina Henot
No votes

Märet Jonsdotter
Malin Matsdotter (16)
6%

Anna Koldings
No votes

Barbara Kollerin
No votes

Malin Matsdotter
Karin Svensdotter (10), Alice Nutter (11), Alizon Device (15), Jane Southworth (18)
22%

Kael Merrie
No votes

Rebecca Nurse
No votes

Alice Nutter
No votes

Anne Redferne
No votes

Margarethe Reinberg
No votes

Jane Southworth
No votes

Karin Svensdotter
No votes

Anne Whittle
No votes

Brita Zippel
Anna Koldings (3)
6%

Showaddywaddy (Hosts/Mod/Deadies)
Lizzy (1), Jennet Bierley (2), A Person (5), Kate (7), Entjen Gillis (9)
28%

Total votes : 18
Lizzy
Drug Dealer
Posts in topic: 67

Post by Lizzy »

Day 6: Whomping Alizon

As of late, Alizon Device had been one of the more vocal students in regards to the deaths and kill attempts that seemed to have become part of the routine at Hogwarts this year, reason for which she started to get a lot of heat from her fellow witches.

During one of the longer breaks, Alizon found herself walking alone and exploring the school grounds in search of clues. She went past vegetable patch and Professor Sprouts greenhouses, when she reached the green lawns and in front of her stood a peculiar looking tree. While she was contemplating its knuckle-like twigs and branches as thick as battering rams, the sound of footsteps and murmurs reached her ears. Alizon turned around just to witness a familiar looking sight: a party of her fellow witches, wands in hand, were approaching her menacingly.

‘Mary’ was the first thing that went through her mind. ‘I’ll end up like Mary. I cannot end up like that. I simply can’t’ she told herself as the sentiment of horror was filling every inch of her body. She pulled out her wand, and with extraordinary reflexes deflected two hexes that were aimed at her chest. As she was focused on deflecting the wave of spells fired at her, Alizon did not realise that as she was stepping backwards she was basically heading for another death trap. Just as she managed to produce an extremely powerful shield charm, she felt an excruciating pain across her shoulder, like whip hit had burnt her flesh. Her colleagues in front of her had suddenly halted and looked up in horror. Before she could turn around to see what was happening, she felt her back smashed and was floating high in the air. Twenty yards from her original position, she fell face forward on the green lawn at the foot of her petrified fellow witches.

‘Is she breathing?’ asked Barbara.

‘Let me go check’ said Anne R. She turned Alizon over. It was anything but a pretty sight, but then nodded.

The others sighed with relief.

‘Well, don’t just stand there like a dead hippogriff’ she scowled. ‘Let’s take her to the hospital wing’

No-one has been lynched.

It is now Night 6. You have 23 hours to send in your PMs.
A Person
Loan Shark

Re: [NIGHT 6] Harry Potter Mafia

Post by A Person »

Night 6: The Quest for the Deathly Hallows -The Elder Wand

Created by Death itself from the branch of an elder tree, the Elder Wand is the most sought after of the Deathly Hollows. The wand is said to grant its user near invicibility in combat, giving him (or her) magical power beyond their normal ability. In this event, you will decide which of you recieves the wand. Good luck.
Chuck
Sockpuppet Account
Posts in topic: 60

Post by Chuck »

I wouldn't mind an elder wand if you know what I mean.
Golf
Sockpuppet Account
Posts in topic: 113

Post by Golf »

The no lynch explains a few things, I think. I still do think both Alizon & Malin are bad, and this result kinda reinforces it for me.

Numbered poll is interesting.
Fractal
sprityo
Celeste
Sockpuppet Account
Posts in topic: 120

Post by Celeste »

what few things does it explain?
Spooky Ghost
Sockpuppet Account

Post by Spooky Ghost »

Merga Bien wrote:The no lynch explains a few things, I think. I still do think both Alizon & Malin are bad, and this result kinda reinforces it for me.

What
Golf
Sockpuppet Account

Post by Golf »

The distancing they tried, there at the end. they knew neither would be lynched.
Fractal
sprityo
Young Lady
Sockpuppet Account

Post by Young Lady »

Merga Bien wrote:The no lynch explains a few things, I think. I still do think both Alizon & Malin are bad, and this result kinda reinforces it for me.

Interesting. I too am wondering what these few things may be.
Supervisor
Golf
Sockpuppet Account

Post by Golf »

I said right above this post, lol.
Fractal
sprityo
Spooky Ghost
Sockpuppet Account

Post by Spooky Ghost »

I don't know exactly what you explained?
Larry David
Sockpuppet Account

Post by Larry David »

I am really sorry fellow witches and hosts for missing the vote today. I got tied up and just flat forgot the vote was today. This is not something I have ever done while playing mafia. Anyway, I need to catch up but its too late tonight and I have appointments in the morning so unfortunately it will be tomorrow afternoon before I can do it. Again, I apologize, it won't happen again.
Gunther
Sockpuppet Account

Post by Gunther »

Märet Jonsdotter wrote:I don't know exactly what you explained?

I think what merga was saying was that - at the end of the lynch they tried to distance from each other because they knew no matter which of them were lynched - the result would end in a no lynch. So, since both baddies knew that they would survive - let's cast doubt on each other for the sake of looking civ.

I'm basing this assumption on this post:
Merga Bien wrote:The distancing they tried, there at the end. they knew neither would be lynched.
I don't know if Merga's assumptions are right or wrong. But I think she is civ and I think her opinions should give us some pause.
Gunther
Sockpuppet Account

Post by Gunther »

Margarethe Reinberg wrote:I am really sorry fellow witches and hosts for missing the vote today. I got tied up and just flat forgot the vote was today. This is not something I have ever done while playing mafia. Anyway, I need to catch up but its too late tonight and I have appointments in the morning so unfortunately it will be tomorrow afternoon before I can do it. Again, I apologize, it won't happen again.
I so very much understand how RL gets in the way of mafia. :hugs: I look forward to hearing what you have to say when you can say it. :hugs: Just don't forget we are waiting for your views. ;)
Gunther
Sockpuppet Account

Post by Gunther »

Märet Jonsdotter wrote:
Malin Matsdotter wrote:

I voted Maret again.
Why?

this is the thing that's happened today that I would most love to hear a response on.

Malin - why did you vote her? what did she say there that struck you as baddie? I'm not going to let up here btw. I would just address me rather than hope I'm going to get distracted and brush it under the rug.

even if you have to repost your inital case since you are voting her *again* please explain it all out to me why Maret is bad.
Golf
Sockpuppet Account

Post by Golf »

Märet Jonsdotter wrote:I don't know exactly what you explained?

Not sure, Dotters, why this is hard for you to get, or why I have to explain it again.

Neither of them being lynched explains a few things about why they behaved the way they did, Malin staying out of the thread to give Alizon a chance to turn it around, then when that did not happen, a little mild bus throwing for future use. Towards the end, *I* was even thinking maybe I should have gone for Malin. You know, this:
Merga Bien wrote:The distancing they tried, there at the end. they knew neither would be lynched.
That strategy would have been riskier if one of them would have been lynched, but since that was not the case I will guess that Alizon had the lynch save as her secret, and they could have gained some benefit out of this strategy for the future.

I think knowing you are not going to be lynched can have an effect of how you act while under suspicion. I think that is a pretty basic thing, and not sure why thinking it caused such a reaction, or why it needed such elucidation. Especially at night.

And what Katarina said :noble:
Fractal
sprityo
Gunther
Sockpuppet Account

Post by Gunther »

merga - do you think the lynch save was a one time thing?

also known as - is alizon your top suspect this time around again? I know it's night - so talking is not always wise, but I'm just throwing the questions I have out while they are in my head as questions.
Golf
Sockpuppet Account

Post by Golf »

I have no idea, tbh. I am only guessing based on the fact that the baddies have secrets, and a lynch stop or day end or something similar of that nature is a plausible one for a baddie team.

And I would happily go with Malin or Alizon, although if someone presents a better case, like Jennet did with Mary, I am open.
Fractal
sprityo
Chuck
Sockpuppet Account

Post by Chuck »

I voted for myself to receive the Elder Wand and so should everyone else.
Spooky Ghost
Sockpuppet Account

Post by Spooky Ghost »

How do you know?
Golf
Sockpuppet Account

Post by Golf »

She was the third name in the last poll, I am guessing, and voted for the third option in this one.
Lizzy wrote:Day 6
Who deserves a gruesome death?

Poll ended at Sat Mar 01, 2014 1:29 am

Merga Bien
No votes

Alizon Device
Anne Whittle (4), Merga Bien (6), Anne Redferne (8), Barbara Kollerin (12), Sarah Good (13), Märet Jonsdotter (14), Katharina Henot (17)
39%

Sarah Good
No votes

Katharina Henot
No votes

Märet Jonsdotter
Malin Matsdotter (16)
6%

Anna Koldings
No votes

Barbara Kollerin
No votes

Malin Matsdotter
Karin Svensdotter (10), Alice Nutter (11), Alizon Device (15), Jane Southworth (18)
22%

Kael Merrie
No votes

Rebecca Nurse
No votes

Alice Nutter
No votes

Anne Redferne
No votes

Margarethe Reinberg
No votes

Jane Southworth
No votes

Karin Svensdotter
No votes

Anne Whittle
No votes

Brita Zippel
Anna Koldings (3)
6%

Showaddywaddy (Hosts/Mod/Deadies)
Lizzy (1), Jennet Bierley (2), A Person (5), Kate (7), Entjen Gillis (9)
28%

Total votes : 18
I had considered this possibility as well, but I also know Lizzy loves ciphering, so that may be too easy.
Fractal
sprityo
Chuck
Sockpuppet Account

Post by Chuck »

Märet Jonsdotter wrote:How do you know?
I have da fayf.
Perd Hapley
Sockpuppet Account
Posts in topic: 19

Post by Perd Hapley »

I voted for a couple of my favorite numbers. :)
Spooky Ghost
Sockpuppet Account

Post by Spooky Ghost »

That's just alphabetic order by last name :p
Operator
Sockpuppet Account

Post by Operator »

137 is obviously the right choice.
Management
Operator
Sockpuppet Account

Post by Operator »

Märet Jonsdotter wrote:
Malin Matsdotter wrote:

I voted Maret again.
Why?
The same reason as yesterday.
Management
Celeste
Sockpuppet Account

Post by Celeste »

i don't understand, i thought we were waiting for an explanation about the poll :0
Celeste
Sockpuppet Account

Post by Celeste »

17 players, 17 numbers, it does make sense that each option would correlate to a player, but would it really be alphabetical order?
Chuck
Sockpuppet Account

Post by Chuck »

A Person wrote:
Night 6: The Quest for the Deathly Hallows -The Elder Wand

Created by Death itself from the branch of an elder tree, the Elder Wand is the most sought after of the Deathly Hollows. The wand is said to grant its user near invicibility in combat, giving him (or her) magical power beyond their normal ability. In this event, you will decide which of you recieves the wand. Good luck.

I assumed this was the explaination regarding the poll.
Celeste
Sockpuppet Account

Post by Celeste »

oh.... for some reason i thought there would be more :0
Spooky Ghost
Sockpuppet Account

Post by Spooky Ghost »

Malin Matsdotter wrote:
Märet Jonsdotter wrote:
Malin Matsdotter wrote:

I voted Maret again.
Why?
Remind us what that was, please. :)
Golf
Sockpuppet Account

Post by Golf »

I am not loving all the votes piling up on one person. even if we don't know who it is for sure, lol.

Should we try to come up with an alternate?

Also glad the thread reappeared XD
Fractal
sprityo
Larry David
Sockpuppet Account

Post by Larry David »

Ok, I caught up with the thread and am really concerned about Malin. I don't understand why, when you're being asked to defend a vote, you would just tell people "same reason as yesterday". Just bring the reason out again and if it needs a little more explanation, provide it. Why would you not do that Malin?

Merga I havent looked at the poll yet but if thats whats happening maybe we should have an alternative. Did you have anyone in mind?
Operator
Sockpuppet Account

Post by Operator »

Märet Jonsdotter wrote:
Malin Matsdotter wrote:
Märet Jonsdotter wrote:
Malin Matsdotter wrote:

I voted Maret again.
Why?
Remind us what that was, please. :)
Gladly.

1. We started going after low-posters.
2. We lynched a civvie.
3. Maret got really nervous and asked a vague, in my opinion, unhelpful question trying to steer us away from low posters.
4. Maret seemed to get really angry at me for not agreeing with her position.

To me, this seems like we got awfully close last time, and Maret is trying to steer us away before we get a baddie.

Maret's contention that we should not lynch low posters because the last time we did, we got a civvie, either displays a lack of understanding of logic or deliberate misleading. I believe the latter.
Management
Golf
Sockpuppet Account

Post by Golf »

Margarethe Reinberg wrote:Ok, I caught up with the thread and am really concerned about Malin. I don't understand why, when you're being asked to defend a vote, you would just tell people "same reason as yesterday". Just bring the reason out again and if it needs a little more explanation, provide it. Why would you not do that Malin?

Merga I havent looked at the poll yet but if thats whats happening maybe we should have an alternative. Did you have anyone in mind?
Well the fact that Malin piled a third vote on possible-Sarah concerns me, yes.

If no one has a better idea than the order the hosts are using, someone we mostly feel good about would be good. You, Margarete, would be acceptable to me. So would Katharina.

Link @ Malin, fairly specious argument, IMO. Lots of people have made logical fallacies in this game. It makes one human, not bad. And in this particular game, the low poster route is dangerous. Your continuous pushing of it is what makes me distrust you in the extreme.
Fractal
sprityo
Golf
Sockpuppet Account

Post by Golf »

EBWOP, not just logical fallacies with fancy names.
Fractal
sprityo
Larry David
Sockpuppet Account

Post by Larry David »

Thank you Malin.

Merga I was looking at Katharina myself. (Assuming, like you said, this poll is in order.)

Return to “Previous Jobs”