Magic the Gathering Mafia - Game Over - Mafia has won!

Moderator: Community Team

Guillotine
Racketeer
Posts in topic: 251
Preferred Pronouns: He/him/his/himself
Aka: King of Bastard Games

Re: Magic the Gathering Mafia - Day 1

Post by Guillotine »

hollowkatt wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 9:06 pm [VOTE: Urist] aubergineThanks Guillotine!

[VOTE: Wilgy] aubergine
[VOTE: Urist] aubergine
[VOTE: Falcon] aubergine

Spoiler: show
Awards

Played
Image Image Image Image Image Image

Hosted

Quotes
Spacedaisy wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 12:05 am My interaction with Guillo was pocketed town talking to a wolf who had her fooled.
hollowkatt
Racketeer
Posts in topic: 349

Post by hollowkatt »

With some pressure on Falcon to start doing townie things pretty quickly I think adding some pressure to Urist makes sense here, yes?
I know your sus pool and I'm on board with that.
ImageImageImageImageImage
tutuu wrote:fluffy furry
fluffy fluffy
kitty kitty
oiiii oiii oiiii
soft fluffy paws
falcon45ca
Uomini D'onore (Man of Honor)
Posts in topic: 270

Post by falcon45ca »

It's a sad state of affairs when the town core leader is beset by these bad reads
we can't stop here...this is bat country!
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image ImageImageImageImageImageImage Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image ImageImage ImageImageImage
Urist
Loan Shark
Posts in topic: 248

Post by Urist »

hollowkatt wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 8:28 pm what kind of policy is voting guillotina @Urist?
I'm a disgruntled old man and don't really care to play with someone who's making the game harder to read for no reason.
Guillotine
Racketeer

Post by Guillotine »

hollowkatt wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 9:17 pm With some pressure on Falcon to start doing townie things pretty quickly I think adding some pressure to Urist makes sense here, yes?
Awards

Played

Hosted

Quotes
Spacedaisy wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 12:05 am My interaction with Guillo was pocketed town talking to a wolf who had her fooled.
Nicol Bolas
Sockpuppet Account
Posts in topic: 61
Preferred Pronouns: he/him

Post by Nicol Bolas »

Urist wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 9:25 pm
hollowkatt wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 8:28 pm what kind of policy is voting guillotina @Urist?
I'm a disgruntled old man and don't really care to play with someone who's making the game harder to read for no reason.
it's not actually for no reason
falcon45ca

Post by falcon45ca »

hollowkatt wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 9:17 pm With some pressure on Falcon to start doing townie things pretty quickly I think adding some pressure to Urist makes sense here, yes?
This is pretty scummy. Note that he supports others reads and encourages putting pressure on other players, but doesn't do so himself.
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image ImageImageImageImageImageImage Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image ImageImage ImageImageImage
Urist
Loan Shark

Re: Magic the Gathering Mafia - Day 0

Post by Urist »

Guillotine wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 9:01 pm
Urist wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 11:18 am
Nicol Bolas wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 9:55 pm The character claims are interesting to me. I find them NAI because we don't know what characters mafia will be, but I think it may actually be useful for us to claim the color of our abilities so that we don't waste mana giving it to others. I'd like some contribution on what extent town should share information relating to their role, but be wary that what you say can give scum info you don't intend to share on your role
colour is 100% tied to abilities, i don't recommend anyone claim colour.
Urist wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 11:50 am
Long Con wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 11:48 am
Nicol Bolas wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 11:41 am
Long Con wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 11:37 am I don't think it would hurt to share which colour you need.
Urist makes a valid point that colors are related to what your power is, though.
Ok... but say you need a blue mana. If you can't make it with your lands, then it's probably not your main thing. The ability could require blue-white-black, or it could be blue-red-green. I didn't think that revealing the one colour you can't make gives much usable info.

It's wise to err on the side of caution, but that has to balance out with actually being able to ever use your ability.
if you actually need someone to give specific mana to you, i don't think there's much harm in claiming it because otherwise you won't be able to use your ability anyway, it won't matter whether scum knows what it is lol.
i was more getting at the idea that people shouldn't be claiming colours for no reason.
Do you not understand why it's beneficial to claim your colour if you need donations to use your ability?
Guillotine
Racketeer

Post by Guillotine »

[VOTE: Urist] aubergine

Awards

Played

Hosted

Quotes
Urist
Loan Shark

Post by Urist »

Nicol Bolas wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 9:29 pm
If you're suggesting it's a post restriction, I'm a little doubtful.
Guillotine
Racketeer

Post by Guillotine »

Urist wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 9:30 pm
Nicol Bolas wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 9:55 pm The character claims are interesting to me. I find them NAI because we don't know what characters mafia will be, but I think it may actually be useful for us to claim the color of our abilities so that we don't waste mana giving it to others. I'd like some contribution on what extent town should share information relating to their role, but be wary that what you say can give scum info you don't intend to share on your role
Long Con wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 11:37 am I don't think it would hurt to share which colour you need.
Urist makes a valid point that colors are related to what your power is, though.
Ok... but say you need a blue mana. If you can't make it with your lands, then it's probably not your main thing. The ability could require blue-white-black, or it could be blue-red-green. I didn't think that revealing the one colour you can't make gives much usable info.

It's wise to err on the side of caution, but that has to balance out with actually being able to ever use your ability.
if you actually need someone to give specific mana to you, i don't think there's much harm in claiming it because otherwise you won't be able to use your ability anyway, it won't matter whether scum knows what it is lol.
i was more getting at the idea that people shouldn't be claiming colours for no reason.
Do you not understand why it's beneficial to claim your colour if you need donations to use your ability?
KZA wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 9:48 pmrole hunting
Awards

Played

Hosted

Quotes
hollowkatt
Racketeer

Post by hollowkatt »

falcon45ca wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 9:30 pm
This is pretty scummy. Note that he supports others reads and encourages putting pressure on other players, but doesn't do so himself.
You mean the vote I have on Urist? I'm sorry, are you feeling peckish because I'm not actively pushing you or something? nah fam. What more pressure do you want than a legit vote? You think I need to case Urist or something?
fluffy fluffy
kitty kitty
oiiii oiii oiiii
soft fluffy paws
Nicol Bolas
Sockpuppet Account

Post by Nicol Bolas »

Urist wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 9:32 pm
it's because guillotinas previous play style was not healthy and he's trying to change that. Easiest way to change it is to try to filter thoughts through images. That's what I think it probably is
hollowkatt
Racketeer

Post by hollowkatt »

I have extensive experience with people who choose to post only in quotes and images. At least it's not digimon or something @Guillotine it's not Digimon, right?
fluffy fluffy
kitty kitty
oiiii oiii oiiii
soft fluffy paws
Urist
Loan Shark

Post by Urist »

Guillotine wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 9:36 pm
Urist wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 9:30 pm

KZA wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 9:48 pmrole hunting
I feel like you're not even trying to understand what I'm saying.
hollowkatt
Racketeer

Post by hollowkatt »

So @Urist what is it you're saying then so that I can understand b/c clearly I don't
fluffy fluffy
kitty kitty
oiiii oiii oiiii
soft fluffy paws
Long Con
So Divine
Posts in topic: 208
Preferred Pronouns: boy ones

Post by Long Con »

I need a slight clarification.

This lion is the same as the one with the heart:
I take the one with the heart to be "I love this post/player/opinion", but what does this one mean?

You can quote me. Quote two together if it helps.

POSITIVE

NEGATIVE

NEUTRAL/UNSURE

SOMETHING ELSE ENTIRELY
Urist
Loan Shark

Post by Urist »

hollowkatt wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 10:04 pm So @Urist what is it you're saying then so that I can understand b/c clearly I don't
If a member of the town is unable to use their ability without getting a mana donation of a specific colour, it's better for them to claim that they need that colour than to sit silently and be effectively a VT.
Concrete example: let's say I have an ability that requires two red mana and two green mana, but I only have two green lands and a red land. Which is the more beneficial choice:
a) Claim that I need one red land for my ability, alerting the mafia that I have an ability with a damage component, but potentially allowing me to make use of it.
b) Don't claim anything and take no actions.
A is always the logical choice. B doesn't make much sense, because although it avoids a situation where you're revealing information, you're not able to use your ability anyway so what are you even gaining by being secretive?
Urist
Loan Shark

Post by Urist »

I'll be 100% clear. People should be claiming that they need a certain colour only if they cannot otherwise use a night action.
If you're like me and you don't need any extra mana for your action, don't claim anything!
Urist
Loan Shark

Post by Urist »

Nicol Bolas wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 9:38 pm
it's because guillotinas previous play style was not healthy and he's trying to change that. Easiest way to change it is to try to filter thoughts through images. That's what I think it probably is
It looks like he's actually trying to express himself despite the self-imposed restriction so I may remove my vote soon. I am concerned, however, that he seems more interested in making buzzword accusations than trying to understand what I'm saying.
Long Con
So Divine

Post by Long Con »

tedxtr wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 3:15 am so punish the fool seems like a pretty punishing ability for our team.

the best we can probably do is to make scum play whack-a-mole. we all need mana for something...

fix suggestion : everyone should ask for the mana they need (and that's it - just ask for the mana, don't say what it's for or that it needs priority, etc etc), irregardless of how good or bad their ability is.

loop holes : the mafia will target strong people this way, so we're a bit forced to spread the cards to someone they don't need dead. (PoEish targets that can reasonably be town)

my instinct is to say that 3 mana is a bit tough to gather? so let's not try to get caught up in an ability that takes quite a bit to use anyway.

thoughts / concerns about this?
I don't think that 3 mana is tough to gather. I can produce that much mana in a night. I don't know how many lands you have, but I have three. If that's standard, then this is probably somewhere near equivalent to a wolf giving up their personal ability in order to use Punish The Fool.
Long Con
So Divine

Post by Long Con »

Urist wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 10:20 pm
hollowkatt wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 10:04 pm So @Urist what is it you're saying then so that I can understand b/c clearly I don't
If a member of the town is unable to use their ability without getting a mana donation of a specific colour, it's better for them to claim that they need that colour than to sit silently and be effectively a VT.
Concrete example: let's say I have an ability that requires two red mana and two green mana, but I only have two green lands and a red land. Which is the more beneficial choice:
a) Claim that I need one red land for my ability, alerting the mafia that I have an ability with a damage component, but potentially allowing me to make use of it.
A is always the logical choice. B doesn't make much sense, because although it avoids a situation where you're revealing information, you're not able to use your ability anyway so what are you even gaining by being secretive?
If someone asks for black mana, does that indicate they're evil? If someone asks for white, is that good, or at least, a wolf trying to look good?

OR is the colour wheel separate from alignment?

And does answering those questions already reveal too much about one's colours?
Urist
Loan Shark

Post by Urist »

Long Con wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 10:29 pm
tedxtr wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 3:15 am so punish the fool seems like a pretty punishing ability for our team.

the best we can probably do is to make scum play whack-a-mole. we all need mana for something...

fix suggestion : everyone should ask for the mana they need (and that's it - just ask for the mana, don't say what it's for or that it needs priority, etc etc), irregardless of how good or bad their ability is.

loop holes : the mafia will target strong people this way, so we're a bit forced to spread the cards to someone they don't need dead. (PoEish targets that can reasonably be town)

my instinct is to say that 3 mana is a bit tough to gather? so let's not try to get caught up in an ability that takes quite a bit to use anyway.

I don't think that 3 mana is tough to gather. I can produce that much mana in a night. I don't know how many lands you have, but I have three. If that's standard, then this is probably somewhere near equivalent to a wolf giving up their personal ability in order to use Punish The Fool.
Actually, this kind of reads like ted is a wolf with 3 lands who thinks that townies start with fewer.
Why would a townie ever say "3 mana is a bit tough to gather" here?
Long Con
So Divine

Post by Long Con »

Urist wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 10:34 pm

Actually, this kind of reads like ted is a wolf with 3 lands who thinks that townies start with fewer.
When I read it with the idea that it "reads like ted is a wolf", tow things jump out at me. One, his use of "instinct" feels wild and wolfy... but that's just for laughs. Two, more serious, he's casually downplaying the concern about this ability.
Long Con
So Divine

Post by Long Con »

*two... damn these new dentures
Guillotine
Racketeer

Post by Guillotine »

Nicol Bolas wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 9:38 pm
Awards

Played

Hosted

Quotes
Long Con
So Divine

Post by Long Con »

Well, Nicol Bolas is pretty much a god, right? Or something more powerful, really... he played with the Amonkhet gods like chess pieces, I think.
Long Con
So Divine

Post by Long Con »

Made wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 7:24 pm [VOTE: Falcon] aubergine
Hey dude, your ISO is hollow and empty, with this little vote at the bottom. What gives? Why falcon?
Nicol Bolas
Sockpuppet Account

Post by Nicol Bolas »

Long Con wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 10:44 pm Well, Nicol Bolas is pretty much a god, right? Or something more powerful, really... he played with the Amonkhet gods like chess pieces, I think.
Exactly. All my reads are God reads
Urist
Loan Shark

Post by Urist »

Long Con wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 10:34 pm
If someone asks for black mana, does that indicate they're evil? If someone asks for white, is that good, or at least, a wolf trying to look good?

Colours are tied to abilities, not alignment. Here are some examples of what each colour's abilities probably look like:
White: Protection, healing, vote manipulation
Blue: Blocking, messaging, inventor
Black: Kill, damage over time, self-healing
Red: Direct damage, land destruction, uncounterable abilities
Green: Neighborization, untargetable, mana generation
All of these can probably be either alignment.
Guillotine
Racketeer

Post by Guillotine »

Long Con wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 10:05 pm I need a slight clarification.

This lion is the same as the one with the heart:
I take the one with the heart to be "I love this post/player/opinion", but what does this one mean?

You can quote me. Quote two together if it helps.

SOMETHING ELSE ENTIRELY

hollowkatt wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 9:03 pmhappy
Awards

Played

Hosted

Quotes
Urist
Loan Shark

Post by Urist »

Long Con wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 10:38 pm

When I read it with the idea that it "reads like ted is a wolf", tow things jump out at me. One, his use of "instinct" feels wild and wolfy... but that's just for laughs. Two, more serious, he's casually downplaying the concern about this ability.
Also, "for our team" lol
guy reads like a middle manager trying to be one of the bois
Long Con
So Divine

Post by Long Con »

Ok, well, happy is a lot like positive but ok. :) Is there a functional difference between that one and the one with the heart?

Is the heart one just the Love version of the Like ( or "happy") one?
Long Con
So Divine

Post by Long Con »

Urist wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 10:50 pm

Also, "for our team" lol
Or "hello fellow townies".
hollowkatt
Racketeer

Post by hollowkatt »

press X to doubt
fluffy fluffy
kitty kitty
oiiii oiii oiiii
soft fluffy paws
Long Con
So Divine

Post by Long Con »

hollowkatt wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 10:55 pm
press X to doubt
I thought is sounded logical. Why should we doubt?
Guillotine
Racketeer

Post by Guillotine »

Long Con wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 10:51 pm Ok, well, happy is a lot like positive but ok. :) Is there a functional difference between that one and the one with the heart?

Is the heart one just the Love version of the Like ( or "happy") one?
juliets wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 6:39 pm shaking my head in understanding/agreement with posts.
Awards

Played

Hosted

Quotes
hollowkatt
Racketeer

Post by hollowkatt »

Long Con wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 10:34 pm

in MTG Lore the color you are isn't always indicative of your personal alignment, at least in the new age of MTG. In the olden days yeah, generally White = Good, Black = Bad, Blue = Brains, Green = Brawn, Red = Impulsive or brash.

Now a days though you do get heroes that are black color identity and I think that's bc WoTC realized that restricting one color to always bad guys and one color to always good guys is dumb.
I think you hit on something interesting though.
fluffy fluffy
kitty kitty
oiiii oiii oiiii
soft fluffy paws
Urist
Loan Shark

Post by Urist »

press X to doubt
Go ahead and do whatever you want, my logic is sound though.
hollowkatt
Racketeer

Post by hollowkatt »

This is a quote chain to sit on till later, mark my words
fluffy fluffy
kitty kitty
oiiii oiii oiiii
soft fluffy paws
hollowkatt
Racketeer

Post by hollowkatt »

Long Con wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 10:44 pm Well, Nicol Bolas is pretty much a god, right? Or something more powerful, really... he played with the Amonkhet gods like chess pieces, I think.
Bolas IS a god, yes. He's the most powerful, oldest Elder Dragon there is. Some say Ugin is equally powerful, ugin is a little bitch.
He did play the Amonkhet gods like chess pieces.
He was a planeswalker long before The Mending (that drastically lowered PW levels) along with at least one other living PW (PW = planeswalker).

Back in the day PW were godlike beings of nearly infinite powers, now they're kinda janky.
fluffy fluffy
kitty kitty
oiiii oiii oiiii
soft fluffy paws
hollowkatt
Racketeer

Post by hollowkatt »

Long Con wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 10:52 pm
Urist wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 10:50 pm

Also, "for our team" lol
Or "hello fellow townies".
fluffy fluffy
kitty kitty
oiiii oiii oiiii
soft fluffy paws
falcon45ca

Post by falcon45ca »

hollowkatt wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 9:37 pm
You mean the vote I have on Urist? I'm sorry, are you feeling peckish because I'm not actively pushing you or something? nah fam. What more pressure do you want than a legit vote? You think I need to case Urist or something?
What exactly is your read on Urist, why are you voting him? What's your read on me, why aren't you pushing me?
hollowkatt
Racketeer

Post by hollowkatt »

Long Con wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 10:56 pm
press X to doubt
Couple things that I super hate about that post:
The first is the red comment. Just read that and think about it for a minute, especially in the context of we don't actually know what "red" things do even if we can assume things from the existing MTG color pie.
Second is there are times when not claiming/asking for mana is going to be beneficial to you, A isn't always the logical choice yeah? That's the main point of the X to Doubt comment.
There are other things that concern me about the post that I'm sitting on for now. The last thing I really want to mention is that the post reads as if they're seeing town approval for something, not expressing ideas or thoughts they want to take a stand on.
fluffy fluffy
kitty kitty
oiiii oiii oiiii
soft fluffy paws
hollowkatt
Racketeer

Post by hollowkatt »

falcon45ca wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 11:06 pm
What exactly is your read on Urist, why are you voting him? What's your read on me, why aren't you pushing me?
My read on Urist is wolf, and that's why I'm voting for him. My read on you is wolfy as well, for the D0 towncore stuff that I thought was nonsensical and unnecessary, and is reinforced by Guillotine who I town read.
I'm not pushing you b/c I'm currently focusing on Urist. Wait your turn.
fluffy fluffy
kitty kitty
oiiii oiii oiiii
soft fluffy paws
Long Con
So Divine

Post by Long Con »

That original HK post in this chain doesn't sit right. You don't let someone know that a vote is just a pressure vote before you at least get some reactions from it. If I hear a vote on me is just for pressure, I assume then that it's not for serious, and I feel less pressure.
falcon45ca

Post by falcon45ca »

hollowkatt wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 11:10 pm
My read on Urist is wolf, and that's why I'm voting for him. My read on you is wolfy as well, for the D0 towncore stuff that I thought was nonsensical and unnecessary, and is reinforced by Guillotine who I town read.
Joke police and acting like it's scumhunting...now where have I heard this before?
Long Con
So Divine

Post by Long Con »

hollowkatt wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 11:08 pm
Long Con wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 10:56 pm
press X to doubt
Couple things that I super hate about that post:
The first is the red comment. Just read that and think about it for a minute, especially in the context of we don't actually know what "red" things do even if we can assume things from the existing MTG color pie.
Second is there are times when not claiming/asking for mana is going to be beneficial to you, A isn't always the logical choice yeah? That's the main point of the X to Doubt comment.
There are other things that concern me about the post that I'm sitting on for now. The last thing I really want to mention is that the post reads as if they're seeing town approval for something, not expressing ideas or thoughts they want to take a stand on.
First: he's probably right about red mana adding some direct damage into the mix. Makes a lot of sense from a game design perspective.

Second: of course there are times when you don't ask, but he specifically framed this scenario in a way that probably isn't one of those times.

Last: I don't get that feeling at all.
Guillotine
Racketeer

Post by Guillotine »

hollowkatt wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 11:08 pm A isn't always the logical choice yeah? That's the main point of the X to Doubt comment..
Awards

Played

Hosted

Quotes
Long Con
So Divine

Post by Long Con »

falcon45ca wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 11:13 pm
hollowkatt wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 11:10 pm
Joke police and acting like it's scumhunting...now where have I heard this before?
Sounds rhetorical but I feel like there's an answer, which I don't know. Should I?

Return to “Previous Rackets”