Banjo-Kazooie Mafia [GAME OVER]

Moderator: Community Team

How do you feel about the Racket game type?

This will be my preferred type.
17%
It seems cool.
42%
I see the appeal, but it's not for me.
42%
I don't like the idea.
No votes
Other somehow
No votes

Total votes: 12
JaggedJimmyJay
The Brassiere of The Syndicate
Posts in topic: 51
Preferred Pronouns: He/him/his/himself
Aka: Jay | JJJ | J3 | 3J | jagged | Jimmy | KOFM

Re: Banjo-Kazooie Mafia [GAME OVER]

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

New poll
Spoiler: show
Overall: 73-57 (.56) | Town 49-41 (.54) | Mafia 18-11 (.62) | Independent 6-4 (.60)

The Syndicate: Town 23-26; Mafia 10-5; Indy 5-1 | RateYourMusic: Town 14-13; Mafia 5-4; Indy 0-3 | Mafia Universe: Town 6-0; Mafia 1-0 | Student Doctor Network: Town 2-1; Mafia 1-0 | HeroClixRealms: Town 1-0; Mafia 0-1 | Bulbagarden: Mafia 0-1; Indy 1-0 | 2+2 POG: Town 1-0 | Naruto Forums: Town 0-1 | Personality Café: Town 1-0 | Vendetta Strada: Town 0-1 | Mafia451: Town 1-0 | Wintreath: Mafia 1-0

Awards:

The Syndicate

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Student Doctor Network

ImageImageImageImageImage

Rate Your Music

Best Townie, Maffies 4, 8 and 9
Best Scum, Maffies 3
Best Moderator, Maffies 8 and 9
Most Valuable Player, Maffies 7 and 9
Best Roleplay, Maffies 4 and 6
Spirit Award, Maffies 9
Hall of Fame inductee, Maffies 4

Mafia Universe

Mafia Championship Finalist, 2015 and 2020
Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage[-Mass Effect Mafia banner-]ImageImageImageImage
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum
Posts in topic: 134
Preferred Pronouns: any/all
Aka: Tangy

Post by Tangrowth »

I put Option 3 ("I see the appeal, but it's not for me."), but I'm not hardline on that. I could be convinced to play a Racket game with the right host and/or playerlist, and it might be a better kind of game for me under certain work conditions. I'm going to have to figure out a new approach to playing though.

Thanks for hosting though, Jay, this was a great experience even if frustrating at times. I suppose that's a function of town games in general too though.
MacDougall
Out of my scumrange
Posts in topic: 30

Post by MacDougall »

Excellent execution mafia team. Especially Russ.
nutella
Connoisseur of Spice
Posts in topic: 70
Preferred Pronouns: she/her/hers

Post by nutella »

M Plus 7 wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 6:50 pm I put Option 3 ("I see the appeal, but it's not for me."), but I'm not hardline on that. I could be convinced to play a Racket game with the right host and/or playerlist, and it might be a better kind of game for me under certain work conditions. I'm going to have to figure out a new approach to playing though.

Thanks for hosting though, Jay, this was a great experience even if frustrating at times. I suppose that's a function of town games in general too though.
Basically same. I think I'd do better with a somewhat more generous post cap, but aside from the direct restriction on my freedom to spam the thread (lol) my other issue with post cap games is that when people are forced to make fewer posts they tend to make longer posts, and I find reading a series of walls much more draining than scrolling through a large quantity of short and to-the-point posts (and that correlates with the back-and-forth feel of real-time interaction as well).
to the spoiler go the victories:
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image ImageImage Image Image Image
Image Image Image Image
Image Image Image Image Image
Image Image
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

nutella wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 6:59 pm
M Plus 7 wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 6:50 pm I put Option 3 ("I see the appeal, but it's not for me."), but I'm not hardline on that. I could be convinced to play a Racket game with the right host and/or playerlist, and it might be a better kind of game for me under certain work conditions. I'm going to have to figure out a new approach to playing though.

Basically same. I think I'd do better with a somewhat more generous post cap, but aside from the direct restriction on my freedom to spam the thread (lol) my other issue with post cap games is that when people are forced to make fewer posts they tend to make longer posts, and I find reading a series of walls much more draining than scrolling through a large quantity of short and to-the-point posts (and that correlates with the back-and-forth feel of real-time interaction as well).
I agree completely with this. I think a Heist/Racket hybrid would intrigue me greatly if the cap were relatively generous but not excessive.
JaggedJimmyJay

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

I went low on the restriction deliberately -- 25 is very tight. I wanted the type to open with a truly slow game to see what it could be like. In the end we have as many posts as most heists, somewhat to my surprise. I suspect future Rackets will usually offer more than 25 posts, Jiggies or not.
Overall: 73-57 (.56) | Town 49-41 (.54) | Mafia 18-11 (.62) | Independent 6-4 (.60)

The Syndicate: Town 23-26; Mafia 10-5; Indy 5-1 | RateYourMusic: Town 14-13; Mafia 5-4; Indy 0-3 | Mafia Universe: Town 6-0; Mafia 1-0 | Student Doctor Network: Town 2-1; Mafia 1-0 | HeroClixRealms: Town 1-0; Mafia 0-1 | Bulbagarden: Mafia 0-1; Indy 1-0 | 2+2 POG: Town 1-0 | Naruto Forums: Town 0-1 | Personality Café: Town 1-0 | Vendetta Strada: Town 0-1 | Mafia451: Town 1-0 | Wintreath: Mafia 1-0

Awards:

The Syndicate

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Student Doctor Network

Rate Your Music

Best Scum, Maffies 3
Spirit Award, Maffies 9

Mafia Universe

Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage[-Mass Effect Mafia banner-]ImageImageImageImage
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

JaggedJimmyJay wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 7:08 pm I went low on the restriction deliberately -- 25 is very tight. I wanted the type to open with a truly slow game to see what it could be like. In the end we have as many posts as most heists, somewhat to my surprise. I suspect future Rackets will usually offer more than 25 posts, Jiggies or not.
Yeah, you're probably right. I wholeheartedly believe it was a worthwhile experience regardless of where things go from here.

I also am firmly of the belief that removing the cap prior to EoD is effective at removing the shackles so to speak, but I know there are different opinions on that.
JaggedJimmyJay

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

Some hosts may be inclined to lift the caps in that way. I wanted to avoid unfairness by time zone, and I know some players have complained in faster games that "the whole day is pointless until everything happens at the end" or some such.

Awards:

The Syndicate

Student Doctor Network

Rate Your Music

Best Scum, Maffies 3
Spirit Award, Maffies 9

Mafia Universe

Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

Sloonei
Cap'n Sloonbeard
Posts in topic: 226
Preferred Pronouns: he/his/him
It’s my birthday

Post by Sloonei »

Jiggies were a neat wrinkle to add in what was technically our first official venture into this format. I liked that, as the player pool shrunk, the post cap grew. It opened the mid-game up quite a lot after feeling very confined on Day 1.
My banners:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Sloonei
Cap'n Sloonbeard
It’s my birthday

Re: Banjo-Kazooie Mafia

Post by Sloonei »

since people thought i was just being a jerk:
Sloonei wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 12:35 am
JaggedJimmyJay wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 6:00 pm

Day 0 begins now and will last 24 hours. Each player may post a maximum of 25 times during Day 0. All Jiggy pursuits, night actions, and voting will not take place until Day 1 and onward. You may begin posting.
y'all wasting moments time with each rhyme. all that effort in vain for no benefit gain.
i'm just subverting the obvious rhymes that should have been there. it's very humorous wordplay, please laugh.
My banners:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
Dragon D. Luffy
The Pirate
Posts in topic: 166
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by Dragon D. Luffy »

One weird thing about this format is that it affects people differently. I never felt too pressured by it. Meanwhile people who are used to post a constant stream ot thoughts found themselves forced to change their playstyles.

Maybe make some system where a low poster can donate posts to a high poster, or something.
TonyStarkPrime
Capo Regime (Street Boss)
Posts in topic: 40

Post by TonyStarkPrime »

huh something new added to the crazy mafia gimmicks idea list
TonyStarkPrime

Post by TonyStarkPrime »

TonyStarkPrime wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 7:44 pm huh something new added to the crazy mafia gimmicks idea list
tune into economists mafia, the sequel to philosophers mafia to see what this new this new gimmick could be! Coming late 2020/early 2021.
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

TonyStarkPrime wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 7:46 pm
TonyStarkPrime wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 7:44 pm huh something new added to the crazy mafia gimmicks idea list
tune into economists mafia, the sequel to philosophers mafia to see what this new this new gimmick could be! Coming late 2020/early 2021.
Oh no, I'm not sure I want to re-live Golden 2.0.
NANOOKTHEGREATANDFEARSOME
i moderated for mafiathesyndicate.com and all i got was this stupid title
Posts in topic: 82
Preferred Pronouns: Usually he/him but idc

Post by NANOOKTHEGREATANDFEARSOME »

Really good game russ and co., well deserved win
ImageImageImageImage ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Russtifinko
Money Launderer
Preferred Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by Russtifinko »

Sloonei wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 6:37 pm
JaggedJimmyJay wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 6:32 pm Sorry but I was hoping Russ would block Sloonei on Night 4 just so I could laugh at the eternal futility of his role
I would have laughed pretty hard.

But that block... such an accidental source of WIFOM attached to Turnip Head's role there. I was convinced turnip was bad because that role should be dead the instant it claims 9 times out of 10. The only exception is a mafia roleblock.
Oh, I was well aware of the WIFOM I was causing here. I lucked into a lot of things this game, but that was intentional. :feb:
Sloonei wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 7:21 pm since people thought i was just being a jerk:
Sloonei wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 12:35 am
JaggedJimmyJay wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 6:00 pm

Day 0 begins now and will last 24 hours. Each player may post a maximum of 25 times during Day 0. All Jiggy pursuits, night actions, and voting will not take place until Day 1 and onward. You may begin posting.
y'all wasting moments time with each rhyme. all that effort in vain for no benefit gain.
i'm just subverting the obvious rhymes that should have been there. it's very humorous wordplay, please laugh.
Hah! I never even noticed this. Well done.
TonyStarkPrime wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 7:46 pm
Ooh! Llama and I hosted an economists' mafia a few years ago. That sounds fun.

Linki: Thanks NANOOK!
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
Dragon D. Luffy
The Pirate
Posts in topic: 166
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by Dragon D. Luffy »

Folks, if you are interested, sign up for my burglary.

http://www.mafiathesyndicate.com/viewto ... 66#p606166

It will be hosted this sunday, hopefully.
Turnip Head
Root Vegetable
Posts in topic: 156
Preferred Pronouns: they/their

Post by Turnip Head »

I really liked the Racket posting cap and how it got expanded overtime with the jiggies/rhyming minigame. I thought the pace was really good and made the game easy to follow. I might take a little break but I plan to play more rackets in the future.
Jackofhearts2005
something funny
Posts in topic: 46
Preferred Pronouns: He/His/Him

Post by Jackofhearts2005 »

Well played, scumbos.
Jackofhearts2005
something funny

Idk how you guys changed Dunya’s dream like that but it was really effective.
dunya
GOAT Whisperer
Posts in topic: 206

Post by dunya »

I'm so sorry Turnip. I should have not let the distancing / game mechanic get to me and listened to who was more authentic. I blame myself :(
dunya
GOAT Whisperer

Post by dunya »

I am glad I played this game with you. I don't know if this format was enjoyable to me at all times. It felt restrictive and uncomfortable I guess. But on the other hand, I didn't have time to read 100 pages so at least I was able to keep up.

As a whole, I don't think the anxiety of mafia is thrilling me anymore so I too will be taking an extended break.

Sorry for fucking it up for you, townies. Y'all were great. And Jack, I can't read you for shit. I admit it.
Epignosis
Skeletor
Posts in topic: 27

Post by Epignosis »

JJJ can't be a spaceship commander anymore. Come help out.

viewtopic.php?p=585460#p585460
Stream my music for free: https://epignosis.bandcamp.com/
Sloonei
Cap'n Sloonbeard
It’s my birthday

Post by Sloonei »

Jackofhearts2005 wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 8:39 pm Idk how you guys changed Dunya’s dream like that but it was really effective.
BWONG
My banners:
ImageImageImageImage
Turnip Head
Root Vegetable
Posts in topic: 156
Preferred Pronouns: they/their

Post by Turnip Head »

dunya wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 8:40 pm I'm so sorry Turnip. I should have not let the distancing / game mechanic get to me and listened to who was more authentic. I blame myself :(
It's not really your fault! I probably never would have voted Russ. I think you played really well :biggrin:
dunya
GOAT Whisperer

Post by dunya »

Turnip Head wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 8:52 pm
dunya wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 8:40 pm I'm so sorry Turnip. I should have not let the distancing / game mechanic get to me and listened to who was more authentic. I blame myself :(
It's not really your fault! I probably never would have voted Russ. I think you played really well :biggrin:
Luv ya, boo
Jackofhearts2005
something funny

dunya wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 8:43 pm And Jack, I can't read you for shit. I admit it.
Shame Tony had to get lynched for you to admit it. :haha:
TonyStarkPrime

Post by TonyStarkPrime »

Jackofhearts2005 wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 9:00 pm
dunya wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 8:43 pm And Jack, I can't read you for shit. I admit it.
Shame Tony had to get lynched for you to admit it. :haha:
me in the last game: "if I sub out I'm almost definitely scum"
me here: oops

I ended up reading almost everything after day 3 anyways
NANOOKTHEGREATANDFEARSOME
i moderated for mafiathesyndicate.com and all i got was this stupid title
Preferred Pronouns: Usually he/him but idc

Post by NANOOKTHEGREATANDFEARSOME »

Shameless plug for the next racket: viewtopic.php?f=274&t=1880
ImageImageImageImage ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
JaggedJimmyJay

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

obligatory HOF reminder
also Assassin's Creed

Awards:

The Syndicate

Student Doctor Network

Rate Your Music

Best Scum, Maffies 3
Spirit Award, Maffies 9

Mafia Universe

Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

colonialbob
Loan Shark
Posts in topic: 2
Preferred Pronouns: He/his/him

Re: Banjo-Kazooie Mafia [Day 4]

Post by colonialbob »

dunya wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 1:10 pm Also I want a moment of silence for @colonialbob. I now know how crap he felt that one game and understand the relief he felt when he finally got mislynched.
I don't remember what game this was but I just want to pop in two months later and sympathize. :bighug:
dunya
GOAT Whisperer

Post by dunya »

colonialbob wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 10:29 am
dunya wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 1:10 pm Also I want a moment of silence for @colonialbob. I now know how crap he felt that one game and understand the relief he felt when he finally got mislynched.
I don't remember what game this was but I just want to pop in two months later and sympathize. :bighug:
hahaha hi!

the game sloonei tunneled you in. i was mafia-tunneled here. what an experience. :p

hope all's been going well for you :hugs:
colonialbob
Loan Shark
Posts in topic: 2
Preferred Pronouns: He/his/him

Post by colonialbob »

dunya wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 10:32 am
colonialbob wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 10:29 am
hahaha hi!

the game sloonei tunneled you in. i was mafia-tunneled here. what an experience. :p

hope all's been going well for you :hugs:
Ah yes. Feels.

Things are topsy turvy but overall I can't really complain, especially given everything going on in the world right now. Hope you're doing well too!
JaggedJimmyJay

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

@speedchuck
@nutella
@Russtifinko

Long overdue :smile:

Awards:

The Syndicate

Student Doctor Network

Rate Your Music

Best Scum, Maffies 3
Spirit Award, Maffies 9

Mafia Universe

Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

Russtifinko
Money Launderer
Preferred Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by Russtifinko »

JaggedJimmyJay wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 7:07 am Image

@speedchuck
@nutella
@Russtifinko

Long overdue :smile:
Ooooooh, yes!! Thanks, Triple J!