The Brassiere of The Syndicate
Posts in topic: 190
Preferred Pronouns: He/him/his/himself
Aka: Jay | JJJ | J3 | 3J | jagged | Jimmy | KOFM

Re: Bonk Mafia (TOWN WINS)

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

Thanks for the game @Syn! :biggrin:
Spoiler: show
Overall: 73-57 (.56) | Town 49-41 (.54) | Mafia 18-11 (.62) | Independent 6-4 (.60)

The Syndicate: Town 23-26; Mafia 10-5; Indy 5-1 | RateYourMusic: Town 14-13; Mafia 5-4; Indy 0-3 | Mafia Universe: Town 6-0; Mafia 1-0 | Student Doctor Network: Town 2-1; Mafia 1-0 | HeroClixRealms: Town 1-0; Mafia 0-1 | Bulbagarden: Mafia 0-1; Indy 1-0 | 2+2 POG: Town 1-0 | Naruto Forums: Town 0-1 | Personality Café: Town 1-0 | Vendetta Strada: Town 0-1 | Mafia451: Town 1-0 | Wintreath: Mafia 1-0

Awards:

The Syndicate

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Student Doctor Network

ImageImageImageImageImage

Rate Your Music

Best Townie, Maffies 4, 8 and 9
Best Scum, Maffies 3
Best Moderator, Maffies 8 and 9
Most Valuable Player, Maffies 7 and 9
Best Roleplay, Maffies 4 and 6
Spirit Award, Maffies 9
Hall of Fame inductee, Maffies 4

Mafia Universe

Mafia Championship Finalist, 2015 and 2020
Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage[-Mass Effect Mafia banner-]ImageImageImageImage
JaggedJimmyJay

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

NANOOKTHEGREATANDFEARSOME wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 3:26 pm
NANOOKTHEGREATANDFEARSOME wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 3:22 pm Thats why I wasn't worried like Jay, I knew we could lock the game as long as I survived the night, which seemed likely
Worst case scenario (that i survive in), if Dyson had been town

Jay's slot is always town

I have a green on falcon + whoever i track, let's say tutu

I'm obviously town in that world

Thats four clears, which locks the game, and that's not even counting tsp who was nearly clear when mac died over me

So yeah, I get why jay had concerns, but that's why I wasn't worried
Werd.

Truth be told I just wanted the game to wake up if it continued, but if I was truly worried I'd have probably played harder. This was a cozy one. :cloud9:
Overall: 73-57 (.56) | Town 49-41 (.54) | Mafia 18-11 (.62) | Independent 6-4 (.60)

The Syndicate: Town 23-26; Mafia 10-5; Indy 5-1 | RateYourMusic: Town 14-13; Mafia 5-4; Indy 0-3 | Mafia Universe: Town 6-0; Mafia 1-0 | Student Doctor Network: Town 2-1; Mafia 1-0 | HeroClixRealms: Town 1-0; Mafia 0-1 | Bulbagarden: Mafia 0-1; Indy 1-0 | 2+2 POG: Town 1-0 | Naruto Forums: Town 0-1 | Personality Café: Town 1-0 | Vendetta Strada: Town 0-1 | Mafia451: Town 1-0 | Wintreath: Mafia 1-0

Awards:

The Syndicate

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Student Doctor Network

Rate Your Music

Best Scum, Maffies 3
Spirit Award, Maffies 9

Mafia Universe

Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage[-Mass Effect Mafia banner-]ImageImageImageImage
NANOOKTHEGREATANDFEARSOME
i moderated for mafiathesyndicate.com and all i got was this stupid title
Posts in topic: 152
Preferred Pronouns: Usually he/him but idc

Post by NANOOKTHEGREATANDFEARSOME »

Ggs, thanks for hosting syn
ImageImageImageImage ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
JaggedJimmyJay

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

Thanks to @Alison for subbing into a difficult spot and putting forth a strong effort. There's only so much one can do there, and she at least had us guided toward one mischop with the easy potential for a second.

Awards:

The Syndicate

Student Doctor Network

Rate Your Music

Best Scum, Maffies 3
Spirit Award, Maffies 9

Mafia Universe

Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

TonyStarkPrime
Capo Regime (Street Boss)
Posts in topic: 98
Preferred Pronouns: he/his/him

Post by TonyStarkPrime »

fwiw I think that Nanook post was probably the most tracker indicative of his stuff but at that point I was confident the game was ending immediately anyways
TonyStarkPrime

Post by TonyStarkPrime »

smh on tracking falcon though
JaggedJimmyJay

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

@MacDougall has now tied @DrWilgy's record for most wins in a single calendar year at 13.

Awards:

The Syndicate

Student Doctor Network

Rate Your Music

Best Scum, Maffies 3
Spirit Award, Maffies 9

Mafia Universe

Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

JaggedJimmyJay

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

Nanook and Alison are right behind with 12 each.

We've played a lot of games this year. :eek:

Awards:

The Syndicate

Student Doctor Network

Rate Your Music

Best Scum, Maffies 3
Spirit Award, Maffies 9

Mafia Universe

Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

juliets
Dancing Pancake
Posts in topic: 5
Preferred Pronouns: she/her/hers
Aka: jules

Post by juliets »

@JaggedJimmyJay thanks for the new sig! It'll be longer than a lot of my posts but I don't care -
JaggedJimmyJay wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 3:24 pm Always good to remember that there is no such thing as a Mafia circumstance that is worth real human emotion. Sometimes it will naturally come out, but it can be contained if we just remember that this is a game on a message board forum that 99.99% of the population of the Earth has never heard of before. No matter how successful anyone is, it means just about nothing.

ImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
TonyStarkPrime

Post by TonyStarkPrime »

Good work by Dyson, that’s a tough spot to be in, surviving even one day is good stuff. And nice job town killing the wolves
falcon45ca
Uomini D'onore (Man of Honor)
Posts in topic: 189

Post by falcon45ca »

WE WON!

we can't stop here...this is bat country!
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image ImageImageImageImageImageImage Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image ImageImage ImageImageImage
JaggedJimmyJay

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

juliets wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 3:37 pm @JaggedJimmyJay thanks for the new sig! It'll be longer than a lot of my posts but I don't care -
Hey sure, hopefully it helps. :smile:

Awards:

The Syndicate

Student Doctor Network

Rate Your Music

Best Scum, Maffies 3
Spirit Award, Maffies 9

Mafia Universe

Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

TonyStarkPrime

Re: Bonk Mafia (Day 2)

Post by TonyStarkPrime »

TonyStarkPrime wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 10:51 am Also who’s MR in for
Sorry to MR for yet another tunnel
tutuu
Posts in topic: 243

Post by tutuu »

Dyson sphere — 08/15/2021
But maybe the town users are happy when they can convict me

that's so wholesome lmaooo

(context is syn reminding dyson he has the option to concede, dyson replies with this)

mans was looking out for our happyness :cloud9:
fingersplints
Hitman
Posts in topic: 4

Post by fingersplints »

@tutuu I loved that so much as well. Dyson just wanted to give you all the satisfaction of voting him
Gro-oo-ovy
Syn
Hitman
Posts in topic: 30

Post by Syn »

I realize that how this went down made mech play essentially irrelevant, but do any of you have thoughts on the setup?

I was thinking that any future iteration of this setup would include a roleblocker for the wolf team.

One intention of the setup is WIFOM; I really wanted the wolf team to have the mobility to make town eat itself alive with speculation. A totally brutal D1 negated that immediately, as was the quick realization that Scotty was likely the wolf PR and that both PRs holstered N0. What was meant to be a space for fake claiming and what-ifs turned into an almost guaranteed loss scenario for Alison and Dyson.

Alison does deserve kudos for her fake spew; town had a lot of trouble seeing through it despite knowing that Alison subbed into a "losing team" and that she knew the score from the beginning. She did wonderfully, but it would have taken extreme luck on Dyson's end in order to end game.

The tie rand going against the wolves every time also sucked, though in fairness, it was w/w wagons on D1.

ImageImageImageImage
DrWilgy
Posts in topic: 1

Post by DrWilgy »

JaggedJimmyJay wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 3:35 pm @MacDougall has now tied @DrWilgy's record for most wins in a single calendar year at 13.
No, stop go back, I don't want to become a try hard again.
nutella wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:56 pm Image
@DrWilgy don't post any more k
Image Image Image
JaggedJimmyJay wrote:Wilgy's vote is an enigma of science. Philosophers are known to throw their tomes across the auditorium in a fit of frustration after failing to solve its mystery.
insertnamehere wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2017 11:50 pm WTF was up with Wilgy's entire deal?

Hard to say how the setup was given the way the game played out. I'd say it's probably fine? I'd play it again at least.
ImageImageImageImage ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
JaggedJimmyJay

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

The presence of a mafia role that can distribute misleading information to town immediately made me want to ignore mechanics and just play the game mountainous. To Mac's credit though, he claimed quickly, there was no need for a counter, and it negated that entire dynamic. The mafia power role is at least arguably harmful to them by the percentages, so it could be called a null or even crippled role -- in that way the setup could probably use a tweak. That role itself could stand to be strengthened for mafia utility.

12 vs. 3 is also the upper-bound of what I would call "balanced" in Syndicate games, as in that's about as pro-town as you can make the numbers without it being too much (with 9:2 being okay for raw mountainous). Add the power role situation and that changes to just a straight pro-town game.

I don't think the game was badly balanced though. Town won this predominantly via the hunt and just locked it shut with mechanics. I actually feel a little bad, because if I hadn't joined there's a decent chance my own slot dies on Day 1 and Scotty is free to cause mayhem thereafter. Games can turn very easily on things unrelated to their structure.

Awards:

The Syndicate

Student Doctor Network

Rate Your Music

Best Scum, Maffies 3
Spirit Award, Maffies 9

Mafia Universe

Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

tutuu

Post by tutuu »

Syn wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 4:13 pm I realize that how this went down made mech play essentially irrelevant, but do any of you have thoughts on the setup?

I was thinking that any future iteration of this setup would include a roleblocker for the wolf team.

One intention of the setup is WIFOM; I really wanted the wolf team to have the mobility to make town eat itself alive with speculation. A totally brutal D1 negated that immediately, as was the quick realization that Scotty was likely the wolf PR and that both PRs holstered N0. What was meant to be a space for fake claiming and what-ifs turned into an almost guaranteed loss scenario for Alison and Dyson.

Alison does deserve kudos for her fake spew; town had a lot of trouble seeing through it despite knowing that Alison subbed into a "losing team" and that she knew the score from the beginning. She did wonderfully, but it would have taken extreme luck on Dyson's end in order to end game.

The tie rand going against the wolves every time also sucked, though in fairness, it was w/w wagons on D1.
i thought the setup was very townsided until i realized that there's no role flips, didn't catch that part. so let me think again

so its less so but i still think its a bit townsided entirely coz mafia isn't allowed to give their power to mafia

so if mafia puts out their powers to random people, as long as everyone claims and doesn't use any power (as they should) - in the mid to late game thats 2 peeked town (potentially unless im missing something)

so to circumvent this mafia can try to get rid of their mandatory peeks by giving the night before they kill them. town might catch onto that tho / identify the sane PR

i haven't thought about this too deeply but i think that i would allow mafia more flexibility -

1) allow them to give the power to their own teammates (maybe have it so it always fail if u want?)

and/or

2) allow the PR givers to holster

and/or

3) allow them to kill and give PR to the same target on the same night

or something like that, i could be overlooking something. i just feel like the mafia PR giver feels like negative utility for mafia because the chance of it generating free town peeks for town
Scotty
Jeff
Posts in topic: 92
Preferred Pronouns: He/him

Post by Scotty »

tutuu wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 3:18 pm if dyson was chopped d1 i wonder if scotty would have went deep, i just checked that he had voted for him. well he wasnt around for EoD but still
I probably dug my own grave but I tend to be suspected a lot on D1, so I’d like to think…maybe?

I at least could rest easy knowing you had my back tho :meany:
When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather;
not screaming like the people in his car
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
tutuu

Post by tutuu »

Scotty wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 4:44 pm
tutuu wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 3:18 pm if dyson was chopped d1 i wonder if scotty would have went deep, i just checked that he had voted for him. well he wasnt around for EoD but still
I probably dug my own grave but I tend to be suspected a lot on D1, so I’d like to think…maybe?

I at least could rest easy knowing you had my back tho :meany:
suck

maaaaaaaaaah

nutssssssssssss
JaggedJimmyJay

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

I do think you probably should have voted me instead of Dyson, Scotty. 😛

Awards:

The Syndicate

Student Doctor Network

Rate Your Music

Best Scum, Maffies 3
Spirit Award, Maffies 9

Mafia Universe

Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

tutuu

Post by tutuu »

ho
Scotty
Jeff

Post by Scotty »

JaggedJimmyJay wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 4:47 pm I do think you probably should have voted me instead of Dyson, Scotty. 😛
I was gone for most of the second half of the day, and you entering was an entire energy shift that I didn’t have time to go back and battle against.

D1 was one of my worst emotional days in a while IRL and I didn’t have the right headspace to do anything productive.

But yes killing you would have been…ideal

Scotty
Jeff

Post by Scotty »

tutuu wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 4:48 pmho

Scotty
Jeff

Post by Scotty »

RE: rebalancing,

As I said in spec chat, I was all intents and purposes more of a negative utility for mafia if I only have a 25% chance to hit and a 25% chance to give a good role to someone else. 50% or even 75% chance to give a negative role would give that sense of doubt that you were aiming for.

If I’m town and receive a role in the night, odds are I probably received something good, so…*shrug*

Alison
Uomini D'onore (Man of Honor)
Posts in topic: 68
Preferred Pronouns: she/her

Post by Alison »

JaggedJimmyJay wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 3:33 pm Thanks to @Alison for subbing into a difficult spot and putting forth a strong effort. There's only so much one can do there, and she at least had us guided toward one mischop with the easy potential for a second.
i could of done better but eh
There's nothing that says a fake can't surpass the real thing.
MacDougall
Out of my scumrange
Posts in topic: 185

Post by MacDougall »

JaggedJimmyJay wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 3:35 pm @MacDougall has now tied @DrWilgy's record for most wins in a single calendar year at 13.
wow I haven't even been looking at the leaderboard, ya boy can't lose
MacDougall
Out of my scumrange

Post by MacDougall »

DrWilgy wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 4:14 pm
No, stop go back, I don't want to become a try hard again.
dude i am not even doing this on purpose it's crack
MacDougall
Out of my scumrange

Post by MacDougall »

it's actually wilgy and my record lol
motel room
Corrupt Union Official
Posts in topic: 89

Post by motel room »

Hey cool, good game! Thanks everyone. First game back for me for years, took some warming up
JaggedJimmyJay

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

@Dyson sphere @motel room play more. :srsnod:

Awards:

The Syndicate

Student Doctor Network

Rate Your Music

Best Scum, Maffies 3
Spirit Award, Maffies 9

Mafia Universe

Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

motel room
Corrupt Union Official
Posts in topic: 89

Post by motel room »

JaggedJimmyJay wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 8:01 pm @Dyson sphere @motel room play more. :srsnod:
Yeah I might, thanks. My partner was away for a month and everything felt bleak so I kinda jumped in to solve puzzles in my free time. She's back now but I'm down.

Claiming the track the last day was a really good play btw, nicely done
NotAnAxehole
Racketeer
Posts in topic: 101
Preferred Pronouns: HE

Post by NotAnAxehole »

Set up grants town 1 IC or a 50/50. PR should claim, mafia should kill them and hope the person who receives the role isn't recognized as being town. Instead mafia just killed the PR receivers which makes it too easy for town, who now get 2 elims per day.

But yeah, I feel like this game gave me a lot of information on how to read the site meta. Also, site meta of town quitting is real, R.I.P Mizery, I doubted my read at the last second.
Russian Machine Never Breaks 769 #3
2022 Stats
| Overall 4-6 40% | Town 4-6 40% | Mafia 0-0 - |

ImageImageImageImage

2021 Stats
| Overall 6-5 55% | Town 4-5 44% | Mafia 2-0 100% |
EnderWiggin
Made Man
Posts in topic: 1

Post by EnderWiggin »

Lime Coke wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 3:21 pm
NANOOKTHEGREATANDFEARSOME wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 3:18 pm
Lime Coke wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 3:14 pm I owe a massive apology with how I was this game. I had an awful day and overreacted and got overly frustrated with everything in the game. I know I shouldn't be exploding in games but my dumbass ends up doing so anyways.

Happy thar town got a win however. Good job to JJJ for being able to take my spot after putting it in an awful position and winning.

I know that I might've ruined the game for certain people and for that I'm entirely sorry.
Your rage quit partially helped clear your slot so

Probably try not to keep doing it tho :p
It's sad that it's literally part of my town game. Literally got caught during Buckets because I was the only one not freaking out.
I mean the rage isn't what I was using to catch you. There's another tell =P
We can only trust the truth. Everything else is a lie.
Syn
Hitman
Posts in topic: 30

Post by Syn »

(mediocre) banner for the winners:

@dyachei
@dunya
@Master Radishes
@NANOOKTHEGREATANDFEARSOME
@TonyStarkPrime
@JaggedJimmyJay
@RondoDimBuckle
@falcon45ca
@motel room
@NotAnAxehole
@tutuu
@Mizery
@MacDougall

ImageImageImageImage
JaggedJimmyJay

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

KnobonK

Awards:

The Syndicate

Student Doctor Network

Rate Your Music

Best Scum, Maffies 3
Spirit Award, Maffies 9

Mafia Universe

Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

Return to “Previous Rackets”