Backyard Baseball Mafia Signups (FULL)

Moderator: Community Team

You wanna come play in my backyard?

I already have my glove (/in)
61%
I gotta ask my mom first (maybe/sub)
9%
My dad says I shouldn’t play contact sports (/out)
22%
I am the chaperone (host/other)
9%

Total votes: 23
Scotty
Jeff
Posts in topic: 12
Preferred Pronouns: He/him

Backyard Baseball Mafia Signups (FULL)

Post by Scotty »

Backyard Baseball Mafia

The Original(TM) Baseball game for kids, starring kids! (Except for the occasional 46-year-old Hall of Famer)

A light nostalgia game from your childhood, with some baseball thrown in.
  • Post limit: 75/day
  • 24+24/24 phases (wtf does that mean Scotty? Read further)
  • Plays any number between 14-18 (preferably 18). Will pick randomly between all 30 playable kids.
  • Alignments of characters will be randomized, and mafia will receive cover roles.
  • There are NO 3p’s
  • You do NOT have to know anything about baseball to play this. But if you need a refresher, here ya go:
    Spoiler: show
    It’s the greatest sport of all time
  • Everyone basically starts vanilla, but all players have attribute modifiers based on their character.
    •3 Town will start with slightly increased stats from the rest of the town (I’m talkin’ slight)
    •Mafia have slightly more than slightly increased stats than the town (I’m talkin’ slightly more than slightly)
  • 48hr Day phase has a special sub phase: during the 1st 24hrs, player pick positions and offensive approaches in a separate thread; at the 24 hour mark, I will simulate a game with the players.
  • At End of Day, there will be a 1-hour twilight with open thread and then a 23-hour locked Night Phase
  • All available item descriptions in store will be revealed to all players at night
Player List
1. Creature
2. NANOOKTHEGREATANDFEARSOME
3. DrWilgy
4. RondoDimBuckle
5. WerewolfHunter
6. Michelle
7. Porsha
8. falcon45ca
9. Dragon D Luffy
10. Stupid Sexy Flanders
11. Dolby
12. arogame123
13. Sloonei
14. hollowkat

Gameplay:

Here’s the abbreviated version and the bare minimum of what you must know to play this game...

Every player has stats in swing approaches on offense (0-5): Power and Contact
And fielding positions on defense (0-5):
Infield, Outfield and Pitching

Every day phase, players are randomly slotted into 2 non-alignment-indicative differing teams: every player will play a half inning of “offense” and a half inning of “defense”. The teams will change every day, depending on different factors. Tentative lineups and team makeup will be provided at top of night, though they may be changed accordingly depending on the happenings in the night. Players will know their positions definitively at the top of each day, as well as if they are ‘Away’ or ‘Home’. (These labels mean nothing except to better identify your ‘teammates’ during that day).

In a separate game day thread, players will vote in a poll during the first 24 hours of the day. This will show all possible fielding positions (9) and offensive approaches (2). Each player must select one fielding position so that only 1 player is occupying each position. (Players may select multiple as the numbers dwindle).
Players then also pick an offensive approach in either ‘Contact’ or ‘Power’ hit. Note that there is a number limit of half the player count for each offensive approach, so if more than half the player count vote for an option, I will randomly switch players into the other selection until this rule is met.
If someone does not select, or if there are multiple players on one position on defense, I will randomize those until there is 1 covering each position.

BOTTOM LINE: At the 24 hour day mark (halfway point), all players must have selected a type of hit and a type of position. Then I will simulate one complete inning, where each side takes turns on offense and defense.

For a more detailed and fiddly mechanical breakdown of how games work, see below.
There is a maximum 9 players on defense, and 9 players on offense. I will attempt to equalize “teams” between cycles, most likely changing up teams from phase to phase and giving as much alternation as I can. Uneven count priority goes to offense. Early on, there will a lack of players to cover every defensive position as only 7 people will be on each team on day 1 in a 14 player game, and any unfilled positions will be filled by NPC’s. NPC’s are baseline players with baseline stats.
-Once 4 players are on the defense, they will each select 2 positions.
-Once 3 players are on the defense, they will each select 3 positions.
-Once 2 players are on the defense, they will each select 4 positions.
-Once 1 player is on the defense, should that happen, they will take over all of the field, rest their soul.
(This is to mitigate the amount of NPCs that need to be on the defense and maintain fairness)

If all available players on offense are on base when a new at-bat comes up, a non-player character (another character not used in the player pool) will “pinch-run”, aka substitute in to run the bases for the player farthest along the bases. The player that was removed from the base path then gets to attempt to hit again. The NPC does not benefit from scoring.

Some players may ultimately be towards the top of the lineup multiple days in a row as numbers dwindle. Priority will go to players that haven’t had an at-bat on offense as recently as others.

Offense:
In a game of baseball, the team on offense is given 3 outs before their offensive turn is over. In this game, 1 round of offense per team occurs per day. Players are set into a batting order at top of day, and the host will do as much as he can in keeping this fair between days (i.e. if you were about to bat before the inning ended, you might be 1st to bat the next time you are on offense).
Not everyone on offense may get an at-bat each day. On the flip side, players may get multiple at-bats in a day.

If 3 players get out on offense, the “inning” will end. If a player has more than one at-bat in an inning, their hitting selection will alternate to their unpicked option automatically.

Batters square off against the pitcher, and a d8 is rolled. If the result is +1 or +2 against the pitcher, it is a ball. (4 balls is a walk.) If the result is a tie or the pitcher rolls 1 higher than the batter, it is a foul ball, which counts as a strike but never a strike-out.
If the pitcher rolls 2 higher for three times or at least the 3rd strike in an at-bat, it is a strike out. If the batter rolls 3 higher, they move into the Hit phase. Clear as mud?

In the Hit phase, the batter will hit the ball to either the outfield (if using power) or the infield (if using contact), rolled randomly by position.
Host rolls:
If Contact, d6 for Infield:
1= Catcher
2= Pitcher
3= 1st Base
4= 2nd Base
5= Shortstop
6= 3rd Base

If Power, d3 for Outfield:
7= Left Field
8= Center Field
9= Right Field
Defense:
The defender rolls a d8 and adds their respective Infield and Outfield modifiers to field the ball (The pitching stat is not used in defense of a ball hit to that position. Infield is used instead)
The batter then rolls a d8; this roll (boosted by their contact or power stat) must surpass the defense of a player to get on base.
  • Tie goes to defender.
  • 1-3 more is a single.
  • 4-5 is a double.
  • 6 is a triple.
  • 7+ is a HR.

Baserunning rules:
Players advance on base exactly the number of bases hit. A player on 2nd will advance only 1 base on a single. A walk will not advance a player on 2nd unless they are forced from a player already on 1st. No stolen bases. No sacrifice flies. No productive outs: if a player gets out, it never advances the runner.
Simulation
At the end of the first 24 hours of each day, the host will simulate the goings on as if commentating a game inning; afterwards, the lynch poll will go up and will last for 24 hours, and the highest vote-getter will be lynched.

Night Store:

There is a “point” system in place: if a player gets on base, scores on offense OR gets an out on defense, they receive 1 Purchase Point (2 Purchase Points on defense if they tie the roll of the hitter, producing a spectacular defensive play). These purchase points (PP) can be used to purchase advantages during the Night Phase, or can be used to boost base stats and are usable at night by every player that has them. Points are cumulative; they may NOT be shared between players- not even mafia members.

-Each player starts the game with 1 purchase point (PP).

You may increase stats 1PP : 1 point for the first increase in a given stat, and 2PP : 1 point for subsequent increases in that same stat. You may do so as much as you want each night:
  • base proficiency in Pitching (max level 5)
  • base proficiency in Outfield (max level 5)
  • base proficiency in Infield (max level 5)
  • base proficiency in Contact (max level 5)
  • base proficiency in Power (max level 5)
In addition, you may purchase 1 item from the store each night. Everything that costs 2+ have limited supply, so get yours while the offer lasts! And no returns or trading.
If you attempt to purchase something and it is out of stock, I will let you pick something else in a timely fashion.
Also, to be marginally transparent, mafia have access to a side store with a handful of special items for purchase that only they can access.

Purchaseable Items
(These will be revealed when the game starts. You may use them the phase they are purchased, if you wish)
1 PP (unlimited supply):
  • first dibs
  • juice box
  • advertising
  • random batting power-up
  • random pitching power-up
2 PP (limited to 3 each):
  • bubblegum
  • walkie talkie
  • bandaids
3 PP (limited to 2 each):
  • mom’s credit card
  • fruit by the foot
  • cool glasses
  • snap watch
  • basic scouting report
5 PP (limited to 1 each):
  • premium scouting report
  • dinosaur themed bandaids
  • premium spitball
Power-ups: (you may only have 1 batting and 1 pitching power-up active at a time. Most recently purchased will be active unless you notify host)
Batting power-ups
  • flat brim cap
  • crazy bunt
  • aluminum power
  • screaming line drive
  • under grounder
  • sonic boom
  • rubber bat
  • geyser hit
  • jumping bean bunt
  • lightning bat
  • piñata bat
Pitching power-ups
  • crazyball
  • big freeze
  • elevator
  • corkscrew
  • zigzag
  • slowmo
  • spitball
  • fireball
Last edited by Scotty on Wed Apr 20, 2022 3:51 pm, edited 12 times in total.
When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather;
not screaming like the people in his car
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImage
Lime Coke
Hitman
Posts in topic: 1
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Aka: BradLand

Re: Backyard Baseball Mafia Signups (18p)

Post by Lime Coke »

Needs more Ernie Steele.
Image Image ImageImageImageImage ImageImage
Scotty
Jeff

Post by Scotty »

This is a light game, and you don’t even need to know anything about baseball. I’ll do all the heavy lifting. The rules look may look daunting upfront, but it’s not as confusing as it might seem. :charlieblackmon:

Michelle
Made Man
Preferred Pronouns: She/her/hers/herself

Post by Michelle »

Scotty wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 7:09 pm This is a light game, and you don’t even need to know anything about baseball. I’ll do all the heavy lifting. The rules look may look daunting upfront, but it’s not as confusing as it might seem. :charlieblackmon:
This post may convince me to play because i know nothing about the game :blush:

And maybe until the game starts i can read the OP :p

ImageImageImageImageImageImage
DrWilgy wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 6:59 pm Death before cowardice.
Porscha
Made Man

Post by Porscha »

i'll join this is crazy
You're being an unacceptable level of stupid, with zero sexy, and no sense of humor.
Image ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Scotty
Jeff

Post by Scotty »

Michelle wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 12:28 am
Scotty wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 7:09 pm This is a light game, and you don’t even need to know anything about baseball. I’ll do all the heavy lifting. The rules look may look daunting upfront, but it’s not as confusing as it might seem. :charlieblackmon:
This post may convince me to play because i know nothing about the game :blush:

And maybe until the game starts i can read the OP :p
I figure baseball isn’t as popular to a good chunk of the community, so here’s the basic basic summary:

Every day, all you need to do is select one of 9 positions on defense and one of 2 offensive swings. The “contact” offensive swing is a small swing that will go to the closest 6 positions, and the “power” offensive swing is a big swing that will go to the farthest 3 positions.

That’s it!

If you don’t select, I’ll randomize. If you get points, I’ll let you know. Spend points at night to get higher stats and/or PR’s.

falcon45ca
Uomini D'onore (Man of Honor)
Posts in topic: 6

Post by falcon45ca »

Yep
we can't stop here...this is bat country!
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image ImageImageImageImageImageImage Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image ImageImage ImageImageImage
WerewolfHunter
Corrupt Union Official
Preferred Pronouns: She/her

Post by WerewolfHunter »

Haven't played on here in forever but def here for this one
dunya
GOAT Whisperer

Post by dunya »

WerewolfHunter wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 2:14 pm Haven't played on here in forever but def here for this one
so good to see you! :beer:
Scotty
Jeff

Re: Backyard Baseball Mafia Signups (14-18p)

Post by Scotty »

Only 6 more and we can start.

If you’re on the verge of committing to this game, maybe this will incentivize:

Any player that desires can send me a top 3 list of preferred players. I can’t promise you will get your preference, but if no one else picks yours, I’ll make sure you get it.

Role stats will of course be randomized and even if you roll mafia, you’ll have your preferred role as your cover role.

:charlieblackmon: :charlieblackmon:

Stupid Sexy Flanders
Corrupt Union Official
Posts in topic: 5

Post by Stupid Sexy Flanders »

Put me in coach
Majority rule, don't work in mental institutions
falcon45ca

Post by falcon45ca »

Stupid Sexy Flanders wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 3:57 pm Put me in coach
This gave me an erection.

Things are about to get all Stupid & Sexy up in here!
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image ImageImageImageImageImageImage Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image ImageImage ImageImageImage
Stupid Sexy Flanders
Corrupt Union Official

Stupid Sexy Flanders
Corrupt Union Official

Wtf
Scotty
Jeff

Re: Backyard Baseball Mafia Signups (10/14)

Post by Scotty »

Slowly but surely…

If all 4 of the Maybes turned to yes, we could start this thing. Just sayin’

@RondoDimBuckle @Seanzie @hollowkatt @Dolby

falcon45ca

Post by falcon45ca »

Stupid Sexy Flanders wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 1:33 am Wtf
Tryna do this?

Stupid Sexy Flanders
Corrupt Union Official

falcon45ca wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 11:20 am
Tryna do this?

Yes. Couldn't figure out how to gif from my phone last time I played here either.

Obviously you'll have to discord me step by step screen shots with detailed instructions if you want me to play my best game here.
Marmot
Marmot
Posts in topic: 3
Preferred Pronouns: they/them
Aka: Marmot

Post by Marmot »

Stupid Sexy Flanders wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 1:25 pm
Tryna do this?

Yes. Couldn't figure out how to gif from my phone last time I played here either.

Obviously you'll have to discord me step by step screen shots with detailed instructions if you want me to play my best game here.

Instructions on how to play mafia, or how to gif?

One could argue they are the same set of instructions

Banners and Stuff
My Syndicate Mafia Wins:

Full Games Civilian: Image

Mafia: Image Image Image Image

Independent: Image Image
Speed Games Civilian: Image Image Fiddler on the Roof

Heists Civilian: Image Image Image Image Image

MVP: RED vs BLUE
Burglaries Independent: The Theme Is Literally a Burglary
Special Games Civilian: Image Image Image Image

Independent: Image

My Syndicate Hosted Games:

Speed Games Image Image Image
Heists Image Image Image

Some other Banners:

2014 Sockys Image
2015 Sockys Image Image Image
Miscellaneous Image Image

Dragon D. Luffy wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 7:33 pm Just how many days of "let's yeet them tomorrow" can a mafioso survive?

The answer: all of them, if you are a marmot.
falcon45ca

Post by falcon45ca »

Marmot wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 2:07 pm
Stupid Sexy Flanders wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 1:25 pm
Tryna do this?

Instructions on how to play mafia, or how to gif?

One could argue they are the same set of instructions

falcon45ca

Post by falcon45ca »

Scotty wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 7:46 am Slowly but surely…

If all 4 of the Maybes turned to yes, we could start this thing. Just sayin’

@RondoDimBuckle @Seanzie @hollowkatt @Dolby
Stupid Sexy Flanders
Corrupt Union Official

First name: Stupid
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum
Posts in topic: 4
Preferred Pronouns: any/all
Aka: Tangy

Re: Backyard Baseball Mafia Signups (11/14)

Post by Tangrowth »

Alright I think I’ll actually do this.
Marmot
Marmot

Post by Marmot »

Tangrowth wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 7:10 pm Alright I think I’ll actually do this.

awuisfIUSDguiSfluSdilugfweLHIUGlwiySFBISD

Banners and Stuff
My Syndicate Mafia Wins:

Heists Image Image Image

Some other Banners:

2014 Sockys Image

Dragon D. Luffy wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 7:33 pm Just how many days of "let's yeet them tomorrow" can a mafioso survive?

Scotty
Jeff

Post by Scotty »

🤩🤩🤩
Just TWO MORE

RondoDimBuckle
Preferred Pronouns: Rondo/RondoDimBuckle
Aka: Rondo

Re: Backyard Baseball Mafia Signups (12/14)

Post by RondoDimBuckle »

Ill join for now but I might not be as active as people would like on this one
ImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
I'm not dumb I just don't know things.
Scotty
Jeff

Post by Scotty »

RondoDimBuckle wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 1:13 am Ill join for now but I might not be as active as people would like on this one
Thank you for your sacrifice [bunt]

(There are no sacrifice bunts in this game)

One more and I can rand and send out roles.

Provided those of you that signed up a month ago remember what mafia is

falcon45ca

Post by falcon45ca »

Scotty wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 8:15 am
RondoDimBuckle wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 1:13 am Ill join for now but I might not be as active as people would like on this one
Thank you for your sacrifice [bunt]

(There are no sacrifice bunts in this game)

One more and I can rand and send out roles.

Provided those of you that signed up a month ago remember what mafia is
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

Marmot wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 7:57 pm
Tangrowth wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 7:10 pm Alright I think I’ll actually do this.

awuisfIUSDguiSfluSdilugfweLHIUGlwiySFBISD
Missed you too.
Scotty
Jeff

Post by Scotty »

What’s a guy gotta do to scrounge up 2 more players to make this run?

arogame123
Money Launderer
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him/His
Aka: Aro

Post by arogame123 »

I'll join!! Seems fun!
Marmot
Marmot

Post by Marmot »

Aro hyyyyyyyyyyppe!!!!!

Banners and Stuff
My Syndicate Mafia Wins:

Heists Image Image Image

Some other Banners:

2014 Sockys Image

Scotty
Jeff

Re: Backyard Baseball Mafia Signups (needs ONE MORE)

Post by Scotty »

:omg:
:charlieblackmon:

Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

Ahhh I hate to disappoint but I am gonna have to back out of this after all. Just let me know if you get close so I can make a better judgment for time, it’s so hard to come by. Thanks so much.
Sloonei
Cap'n Sloonbeard
Preferred Pronouns: he/his/him

Re: Backyard Baseball Mafia Signups (needs TWO MORE)

Post by Sloonei »

Let’s play ball
My banners:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
hollowkatt
Racketeer
Posts in topic: 2

Post by hollowkatt »

I have read none of the signup lets do this
tutuu wrote:fluffy furry
fluffy fluffy
kitty kitty
oiiii oiii oiiii
soft fluffy paws
Scotty
Jeff

Post by Scotty »

hollowkatt wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 7:44 pm I have read none of the signup lets do this
Just to be clear- are you /in?

hollowkatt
Racketeer
Posts in topic: 2

Post by hollowkatt »

Scotty wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 7:55 pm
hollowkatt wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 7:44 pm I have read none of the signup lets do this
Just to be clear- are you /in?
I thought I hit the button for in! my bad, I fixed it
tutuu wrote:fluffy furry
fluffy fluffy
kitty kitty
oiiii oiii oiiii
soft fluffy paws
Scotty
Jeff

Post by Scotty »

@Creature
@NANOOKTHEGREATANDFEARSOME
@DrWilgy
@RondoDimBuckle
@WerewolfHunter
@Michelle
@Porsha
@falcon45ca
@Dragon D Luffy
@Stupid Sexy Flanders
@Dolby
@arogame123
@Sloonei
@hollowkat

We have 14 people!! :omg: I’m closing signups and will look to start inviting to the Discord hub provided I can find your handle. Rand will begin some time tonight.

We can play ball on Monday May 30th at 6PM Eastern if all goes accordingly. I’ll let you know if that changes..

Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Re: Backyard Baseball Mafia Signups (FULL)

Post by Tangrowth »

Yay, hope the game is fun! I'll maybe see if I can play later in the summer when things are less hectic. Feel free to give me a ping if you need a replacement though.
Scotty
Jeff

Re: Backyard Baseball Mafia Signups (FULL)

Post by Scotty »

Tangrowth wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 9:57 pm Yay, hope the game is fun! I'll maybe see if I can play later in the summer when things are less hectic. Feel free to give me a ping if you need a replacement though.
Thanks Tangy! I’ll let you know :)

Return to “Previous Racket Sign-Ups”