Game Over! Monty Python and the Holy Grail

Moderator: Community Team

How did Das Porcu do co-hosting his first game?

Stupendous!
80%
Horrific!
No votes
Who is Das Porcu?
No votes
Fucking fabulous!!/Hosts
20%

Total votes: 15
S~V~S
Captain Obvious
Posts in topic: 375

Re: Game Over! Monty Python and the Holy Grail

Post by S~V~S »

Epignosis wrote:
S~V~S wrote:It could also be civvies that play their roles as individuals rather than as members of a team; everyone wants to be a chief, no one wants to be an Indian. And civvies need Indians more than chiefs; too many chiefs, and the Indians lose interest. A trend I have noticed here is the civvies waste too much time suspecting each other becasue they are not even trying to play together or as a group.

I could be wrong, but IMO the games here are not any more out of, or in, balance than they are, or were, anywhere else :shrug:
Are you implying that all Native Americans are followers? :eek:

:p

Seriously, I think the issue is more that, in a full game, there's 48 hours to talk, but many people (mostly civilians) will wait until the last few hours to "catch up" and vote. These people have not allowed themselves the luxury of processing and digesting the information. Then what ends up happening is that they vote between the two (or three) people who have the most votes (or self vote- even worse) and call it a day. They're okay because it isn't them. If I have one skill as a FEB, it's forcing the false dilemma between two civilians. And most of the time it works like a charm. :feb:
But every other place I have played it was 50/50 tbh, and the games had balance similar to ours. Except STV, where the civvies won more often than not, and that's because they were all very active for the most part. No chiefs. Here a lot of people seem to be playing to win THEMSELVES, rather than playing for the civvie cause. Perhaps because so many of our players started playing here, we grew our own culture. But I think the "*I* wanna win" culture we have going would see more civvie wins if it became "*WE* wanna win".
Skip softly, my moonbeams, for I have heard tell
That the stairs up to heaven lead straight down to hell
thellama73
Supatown
Posts in topic: 340

Post by thellama73 »

S~V~S wrote:
Epignosis wrote:
S~V~S wrote:It could also be civvies that play their roles as individuals rather than as members of a team; everyone wants to be a chief, no one wants to be an Indian. And civvies need Indians more than chiefs; too many chiefs, and the Indians lose interest. A trend I have noticed here is the civvies waste too much time suspecting each other becasue they are not even trying to play together or as a group.

I could be wrong, but IMO the games here are not any more out of, or in, balance than they are, or were, anywhere else :shrug:
Are you implying that all Native Americans are followers? :eek:

:p

Seriously, I think the issue is more that, in a full game, there's 48 hours to talk, but many people (mostly civilians) will wait until the last few hours to "catch up" and vote. These people have not allowed themselves the luxury of processing and digesting the information. Then what ends up happening is that they vote between the two (or three) people who have the most votes (or self vote- even worse) and call it a day. They're okay because it isn't them. If I have one skill as a FEB, it's forcing the false dilemma between two civilians. And most of the time it works like a charm. :feb:
But every other place I have played it was 50/50 tbh, and the games had balance similar to ours. Except STV, where the civvies won more often than not, and that's because they were all very active for the most part. No chiefs. Here a lot of people seem to be playing to win THEMSELVES, rather than playing for the civvie cause. Perhaps because so many of our players started playing here, we grew our own culture. But I think the "*I* wanna win" culture we have going would see more civvie wins if it became "*WE* wanna win".
I don't really understand the distinction. How can you play as a team when you don't know who is on your team or who is trying to betray you? YOU are the only person you can really trust, so it makes fusing as a team difficult.

I think uninterested civvies who don't really do any analysis and just follow the crowd is a bigger problem.
Epignosis wrote:If llama is good, it means we exist in a universe in which multitasking llama can call out the first of two mafia while simultaneously calling out two civilians.

I don't want to live in that universe.
Spoiler: show
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum
Posts in topic: 92
Preferred Pronouns: any/all
Aka: Tangy

Post by Tangrowth »

I think S~V~S is signifying that perhaps people are too focused on NO U'ing those who suspect them and aren't as willing to cooperate as perhaps they should be even when they have reason to. But maybe I misunderstand?

Anyway, I think this is an interesting discussion, but for most of the Job games here I've seen so far, I think the most contributing reason is the one Epig pointed out: disinterested civilians.

Additionally, it could be argued that even though the probability of a coin flipping 10 times and landing on heads each time is unlikely, but it is still a possibility nonetheless. Obviously mafia games are incredibly complicated and depend on the personality, effort, and luck regarding each individual, but it's entirely possible that the explanation is that mafia have won just because they have won. :shrug:
Roxy
Hitman
Posts in topic: 113
Preferred Pronouns: She, Her, Whore if ya know me

Post by Roxy »

Epignosis wrote:
Long Con wrote:
Metalmarsh89 wrote:Good game guys. Another baddie win, lol. :feb:
I can't believe the dismal Civvie track record in the Jobs section of the Hall of Fame. Wow! Do we need more powerful Civvie teams in this meta?
It's an issue I've tried to address here:

http://www.mafiathesyndicate.com/viewto ... ?f=8&t=404

I find two reasons for the rampant string of Mafia victories:

1. Overpowered Mafia with an unbalanced ratio.
2. Apathetic or uninvested civilians.
I agree bc it is what happened in this game.
Not the overpowered mafia obv as there was a trio of players that were alive longest all from different teams.
Uninterested civs.
I cannot tell you how MANY PM's I sent out prior to the start of night literally BEGGING the civ players to use their power.

Never in any game that I have hosted have I seen so many civs not bothering to post, play or use their night action(s). It really bummed me out after all the work that went into creating a fun and balanced game - to have to beg people to use their ability. As a matter of fact there were a few that NEVER got used r if they had the civs would have had better chance than what they did.

My favorite completely unused role - The Dead Collector could choose any dead power they wanted to - they had kills, blocks, protections etc at their disposal and yet never used - a real bummer especially as it was my favorite role.
;)
thellama73
Supatown

Post by thellama73 »

Roxy wrote:
Epignosis wrote:
Long Con wrote:
I can't believe the dismal Civvie track record in the Jobs section of the Hall of Fame. Wow! Do we need more powerful Civvie teams in this meta?

Not the overpowered mafia obv as there was a trio of players that were alive longest all from different teams.
Uninterested civs.
I cannot tell you how MANY PM's I sent out prior to the start of night literally BEGGING the civ players to use their power.

Never in any game that I have hosted have I seen so many civs not bothering to post, play or use their night action(s). It really bummed me out after all the work that went into creating a fun and balanced game - to have to beg people to use their ability. As a matter of fact there were a few that NEVER got used r if they had the civs would have had better chance than what they did.

My favorite completely unused role - The Dead Collector could choose any dead power they wanted to - they had kills, blocks, protections etc at their disposal and yet never used - a real bummer especially as it was my favorite role.
I've had this experience as a host as well, and it is very frustrating. Especially when you have crafted the rolls to be balanced, and then one player not using their ability throws the game out of balance.
Epignosis wrote:If llama is good, it means we exist in a universe in which multitasking llama can call out the first of two mafia while simultaneously calling out two civilians.

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

thellama73 wrote:
Roxy wrote:
Epignosis wrote:
Long Con wrote:

Uninterested civs.

I've had this experience as a host as well, and it is very frustrating. Especially when you have crafted the rolls to be balanced, and then one player not using their ability throws the game out of balance.
This. It can be incredibly disappointing.
Long Con
So Divine
Posts in topic: 233
Preferred Pronouns: boy ones

Post by Long Con »

LoRab wrote:And, LC, I'll be totally shameless: in honor of your win and totally snowing me in this game, you should totally donate to my cause to fight childhood cancer. Seriously--no donation is too small, and can make a huge difference. Cancer sucks.

https://www.stbaldricks.org/participant ... 60938/2014
No PayPal?
Hedgeowl
Money Launderer
Posts in topic: 91

Post by Hedgeowl »

I didnt know what would be the right first-time host gift for a Porcupine, but facebook once again comes to the rescue. So thanks DP and enjoy all the pumpkins this halloween!

Turnip Head wrote: We need to lynch Pennsylvania Bitch.
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
Hedgeowl
Money Launderer
Posts in topic: 91

Post by Hedgeowl »

Well that was a fail. :blush:

Turnip Head wrote: We need to lynch Pennsylvania Bitch.
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
Made
Hitman
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by Made »

S~V~S wrote:But I think the "*I* wanna win" culture we have going would see more civvie wins if it became "*WE* wanna win".
My personal issue with that philosophy is Civvies don't know who other civvies are. I rarely trust anyone at all when i play mafia, so while i attempt to help the civvie cause with perspectives that can help civvies make informed decision, I don't feel comfortable giving up my chief headdress.

Playing as a team is hard when you don't know exactly who your team is.
Pov: you reading my takes
S~V~S
Captain Obvious

Post by S~V~S »

Yet somehow it worked at the other forums where I have played. :shrug:
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

I do sort of agree; there seems to be more of a streak of extremely paranoid civvies constantly suspecting everyone and refusing to put out the necessary trust to win in full games here.
DisgruntledPorcupine
Drug Dealer
Posts in topic: 85

Post by DisgruntledPorcupine »

Banners! :D

S~V~S
Captain Obvious

Post by S~V~S »

Yay~! Thanks for the LORB Banner xoxoxoxoxox
Roxy
Hitman
Posts in topic: 113
Preferred Pronouns: She, Her, Whore if ya know me

Post by Roxy »

Oh I think everyone should rock a Lorb banner tbh! <3
;)
thellama73
Supatown

Post by thellama73 »

Should I take a player banner and further clutter up my sig needlessly? I think I should.

Marmot
Marmot
Posts in topic: 247
Preferred Pronouns: they/them
Aka: Marmot

Post by Marmot »

Where's my Newt banner? :p

Banners and Stuff
My Syndicate Mafia Wins:

Full Games Civilian: Image

Mafia: Image Image Image Image

Independent: Image Image
Speed Games Civilian: Image Image Fiddler on the Roof

Mafia: Image Image Image Image
Heists Civilian: Image Image Image Image Image

MVP: RED vs BLUE
Burglaries Independent: The Theme Is Literally a Burglary
Special Games Civilian: Image Image Image Image

Independent: Image

My Syndicate Hosted Games:

Speed Games Image Image Image
Heists Image Image Image

Some other Banners:

2014 Sockys Image
2015 Sockys Image Image Image
Miscellaneous Image Image

Dragon D. Luffy wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 7:33 pm Just how many days of "let's yeet them tomorrow" can a mafioso survive?

The answer: all of them, if you are a marmot.

Return to “Previous Jobs”