General tabletop games discussion

Game lovers unite! At Park Place, you may discuss all tabletop games with fellow self proclaimed game geeks.

Moderator: Community Team

Scotty
Jeff
Posts in topic: 4
Preferred Pronouns: He/him

Re: General tabletop games discussion

Post by Scotty »

DharmaHelper wrote: Tue Mar 27, 2018 9:45 pm I've heard of it and seen it played but not had the chance to play myself.
Now I’m at the point after 6 play throughs that it’s making my brain hurt, and needed a break from it lol.

There’s just so much to keep track of. It’s like chess with luck, lots of analysis paralysis making the game drag for 2 hours. Still a great game, just not in succession. And another negative I suppose is the win condition- it just feels so anticlimactic. We build up to a point, and we build up to another point and then before we really let forth wrath, it’s over and we collectively go “oh, was that it?” It’s about the journey, not the destination though, right?
When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather;
not screaming like the people in his car
Spoiler: show
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImage
timmer
Racketeer
Posts in topic: 1

Post by timmer »

A friend of mine who has 100+ board games got me to try a game called Kemet... any of you play it? I liked it, but need to play it a few more times as I barely had a grip on the rules the first time... so many strategy ideas, though!

Also, Betrayal on House on the Hill (2nd ed.) is a brilliant game marred by horribly incomplete rules... like, they have 50 different "haunts" that can happen, each with its own page in the hauntbook to explain how it will work, and yet every time we play there is a missing detail or unintentional ambiguity that frustrates everyone... how often can the Banshee attack in a single turn? "uhm.... it doesn't really say...." FML, such a cool game, but the rules, man... they suck.
My siggie.
DharmaHelper
Capo Regime (Street Boss)
Posts in topic: 14

Post by DharmaHelper »

Scotty wrote: Wed Mar 28, 2018 2:06 am
DharmaHelper wrote: Tue Mar 27, 2018 9:45 pm I've heard of it and seen it played but not had the chance to play myself.
Now I’m at the point after 6 play throughs that it’s making my brain hurt, and needed a break from it lol.

There’s just so much to keep track of. It’s like chess with luck, lots of analysis paralysis making the game drag for 2 hours. Still a great game, just not in succession. And another negative I suppose is the win condition- it just feels so anticlimactic. We build up to a point, and we build up to another point and then before we really let forth wrath, it’s over and we collectively go “oh, was that it?” It’s about the journey, not the destination though, right?
The DC game is a bit like that. I try to combat the "paralysis" when i play but just going off the first few cards that I manage to pick up and building a strategy around that. The last time I played and won, my early game was picking up cards that let me draw more cards and kept my discard pile llight, then the big beefy mondo card hit the market, I picked that up, and shifted gears to buying as many superpowers as I could. (Man of Steel, the card, allows you to take all the Super Power cards from your discard and add them to your hand. So like 3 turns after I picked it up and had all these super power cards, I was dropping 30-40 points a turn where my opponent would be lucky to get 20 points. I could buy the whole market, defeat the boss, and have 25 points left over at the end of my turn.)
our Linkitis is our lives.

ImageImage
ImageImage
DharmaHelper

Post by DharmaHelper »

To add: The endgame in the DC game and I imagine any Deck Builder can be a bit... "Oh yeah I guess it's done now." but like you said, getting there is most of the fun. Those moments of "Aha! A strategy reveals itself!" and then the game quickly turns from a marathon to a sprint.

ImageImage
ImageImage
Dragon D. Luffy
The Pirate
Posts in topic: 2
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by Dragon D. Luffy »

speedchuck
Knight of No Renown
Posts in topic: 11

Post by speedchuck »

Power Grid was really fun! Tried it for the first time tonight.
SIGNATURE:
Speedchuck wins the "Jack Torrance Has Always Been The Caretaker" award.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImage
nutella
Connoisseur of Spice
Posts in topic: 7
Preferred Pronouns: she/her/hers

Post by nutella »

we got gloomhaven.... took us like 4 hours to learn/set up/start the first round, but once we got going it's pretty fun but still pretty overwhelming :p
to the spoiler go the victories:
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image ImageImage Image Image Image
Image Image Image Image
Image Image Image Image Image
Image Image
Long Con
So Divine
Posts in topic: 3
Preferred Pronouns: boy ones

Post by Long Con »

Played Harry Potter Codenames on Friday. Some fun.
nutella
Connoisseur of Spice

Post by nutella »

we also played codenames (just the normal one) with my bf's family, have played it with them a few times before and it's always fun/kinda frustrating :p but we played another game too, one that my boyfriend just bought and we've been really enjoying called Gizmos -- I'd highly recommend it, if you've played Splendor that's kind of the closest thing I'd compare it to but with a couple different mechanics (plus some silly art and a cool set of different-colored marbles that represent the resources). the rules can lead to some crazy action chains that are very satisfying to set up
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image ImageImage Image Image Image
Image Image Image Image
Image Image
Golden
The Coward
Posts in topic: 19

Post by Golden »

nutella wrote: Sun Nov 25, 2018 4:48 am we got gloomhaven.... took us like 4 hours to learn/set up/start the first round, but once we got going it's pretty fun but still pretty overwhelming :p
Good luck. I’m about 40 scenarios in, it’s still good times.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Canucklehead wrote:Civ Golden is a hurricane of self-assurance.
G-Man wrote: Coward
nutella
Connoisseur of Spice

Post by nutella »

Golden wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 7:17 pm
nutella wrote: Sun Nov 25, 2018 4:48 am we got gloomhaven.... took us like 4 hours to learn/set up/start the first round, but once we got going it's pretty fun but still pretty overwhelming :p
Good luck. I’m about 40 scenarios in, it’s still good times.
Haha we've been playing pretty much every weekend now, my boyfriend is totally obsessed.
Image Image Image Image
Image Image
Epignosis
Skeletor
Posts in topic: 5

Post by Epignosis »

I wanted that, but I don't know who I'd play it with or when. At that price, it seemed like one of those things I'd buy and it would look nice in the house.

I'll leave that practice to Eloh.
Stream my music for free: https://epignosis.bandcamp.com/
DharmaHelper

Post by DharmaHelper »

Oops I guess I shoulda put that dumb post about me spending all day today making props for my DnD group in this thread. I'll put pictures here when I get the chance if I remember to.

ImageImage
ImageImage
DharmaHelper

Post by DharmaHelper »

Turns out sealing stuff with wax stamps is tricky. This is probably one of the better efforts here. 20+ envelopes gave me a lot of practice.

ImageImage
ImageImage
Long Con
So Divine
Posts in topic: 3
Preferred Pronouns: boy ones

Post by Long Con »

Come on guys, why didn't WE do this??

speedchuck
Knight of No Renown
Posts in topic: 11

Post by speedchuck »

Long Con wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 5:00 pm Come on guys, why didn't WE do this??

I feel like the people on this sub could probably do something like this, actually. Good game design folks on here.
SIGNATURE:
Speedchuck wins the "Jack Torrance Has Always Been The Caretaker" award.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImage

Return to “Park Place”