Tangrowth
Don Emeritum
Posts in topic: 522
Preferred Pronouns: any/all
Aka: Tangy

Re: [Day 0] GY!BE Mafia

Post by Tangrowth »

Golden wrote:
MovingPictures07 wrote:I want to town read you and Golden, but I cannot justify that quite yet, because I would expect the three of us to mindmeld on all of this regardless of alignment.
I feel there should be no legitimate reason to townread me yet. I haven't read the thread or the rules even. All I've done is talk philosophy and needled people for fun. So I'm glad you can't justify it. I think it would have been too soon.

Makes me feel like this is not scrimmage MP. That's good.
Lucky for you, you're right. :feb:
JaggedJimmyJay
The Brassiere of The Syndicate
Posts in topic: 589
Preferred Pronouns: He/him/his/himself
Aka: Jay | JJJ | J3 | 3J | jagged | Jimmy | KOFM

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

MovingPictures07 wrote: :ponder:

That's fair, but I think you're somewhat missing the point that I'm making. Don't you agree that there is potential for a mafia INH to have engaged in that conversation in a more antagonistic or opportunistic manner? I don't see the avenue for it based on the way he approached it.

I know it's weak, but I feel like this is significant given how early we are in the game, and I want opinions on this. Am I reading too much into this or am I onto something?
I'm not sure what kind of opportunity you'd expect to be capitalized on here in the event of a baddie INH. Is there something about a discussion of PoE that incites or invites antagonism? I think INH responded to the mention of PoE as I'd always expect him to respond to it -- with disdain. You're right that he didn't turn it into some kind of eruption of a dialogue, but I don't know that that was ever likely in the first place regardless of alignment. It's just generic strategy chatter.

He's on meta so far. That's worth something even if it's weak.
Spoiler: show
Overall: 73-57 (.56) | Town 49-41 (.54) | Mafia 18-11 (.62) | Independent 6-4 (.60)

The Syndicate: Town 23-26; Mafia 10-5; Indy 5-1 | RateYourMusic: Town 14-13; Mafia 5-4; Indy 0-3 | Mafia Universe: Town 6-0; Mafia 1-0 | Student Doctor Network: Town 2-1; Mafia 1-0 | HeroClixRealms: Town 1-0; Mafia 0-1 | Bulbagarden: Mafia 0-1; Indy 1-0 | 2+2 POG: Town 1-0 | Naruto Forums: Town 0-1 | Personality Café: Town 1-0 | Vendetta Strada: Town 0-1 | Mafia451: Town 1-0 | Wintreath: Mafia 1-0

Awards:

The Syndicate

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Student Doctor Network

ImageImageImageImageImage

Rate Your Music

Best Townie, Maffies 4, 8 and 9
Best Scum, Maffies 3
Best Moderator, Maffies 8 and 9
Most Valuable Player, Maffies 7 and 9
Best Roleplay, Maffies 4 and 6
Spirit Award, Maffies 9
Hall of Fame inductee, Maffies 4

Mafia Universe

Mafia Championship Finalist, 2015 and 2020
Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage[-Mass Effect Mafia banner-]ImageImageImageImage
JaggedJimmyJay

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

MovingPictures07 wrote:
JaggedJimmyJay wrote:Actually MP, your post count has already jumped to an obscene place. I'm not sure I've seen it quite like this since you started Transistor with 57 posts before the second-highest poster made it to #8.

You over-eager cuz you bad, m8?
Furthermore, I could say that this was a bit of a softball, Jay, fabricated to seem as though you care about uncovering my alignment, but with no actual value in determining that or in generating useful conversation. :mafia:

What would you say in response to that?
I would say that it probably is a softball, or perhaps it's better described as a poo fling. That's the nature of Day 0. I'm more conscious of the specific point I made than the average player because I was on your baddie team in Transistor. It came to mind so I puked it into the thread. You had 30 posts and I was in second place with I think 8. That's a significant disparity that recalled the even more significant disparity in that other game.
Overall: 73-57 (.56) | Town 49-41 (.54) | Mafia 18-11 (.62) | Independent 6-4 (.60)

The Syndicate: Town 23-26; Mafia 10-5; Indy 5-1 | RateYourMusic: Town 14-13; Mafia 5-4; Indy 0-3 | Mafia Universe: Town 6-0; Mafia 1-0 | Student Doctor Network: Town 2-1; Mafia 1-0 | HeroClixRealms: Town 1-0; Mafia 0-1 | Bulbagarden: Mafia 0-1; Indy 1-0 | 2+2 POG: Town 1-0 | Naruto Forums: Town 0-1 | Personality Café: Town 1-0 | Vendetta Strada: Town 0-1 | Mafia451: Town 1-0 | Wintreath: Mafia 1-0

Awards:

The Syndicate

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Student Doctor Network

Rate Your Music

Best Scum, Maffies 3
Spirit Award, Maffies 9

Mafia Universe

Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage[-Mass Effect Mafia banner-]ImageImageImageImage
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

JaggedJimmyJay wrote:
MovingPictures07 wrote: :ponder:

That's fair, but I think you're somewhat missing the point that I'm making. Don't you agree that there is potential for a mafia INH to have engaged in that conversation in a more antagonistic or opportunistic manner? I don't see the avenue for it based on the way he approached it.

I know it's weak, but I feel like this is significant given how early we are in the game, and I want opinions on this. Am I reading too much into this or am I onto something?
I'm not sure what kind of opportunity you'd expect to be capitalized on here in the event of a baddie INH. Is there something about a discussion of PoE that incites or invites antagonism? I think INH responded to the mention of PoE as I'd always expect him to respond to it -- with disdain. You're right that he didn't turn it into some kind of eruption of a dialogue, but I don't know that that was ever likely in the first place regardless of alignment. It's just generic strategy chatter.

He's on meta so far. That's worth something even if it's weak.
Perhaps I'm being unclear. He displayed no inherent agenda in that conversation; that's what I'm trying to express. Now I'll need to see more from him, obviously, to determine whether that continues to be a pattern, but tentatively I think there is an interpretation to his behavior that he handled my conversation in a manner befitting a player more likely town than not.

Perhaps I'm also missing key perspective here though considering I didn't engage in the Red vs. Blue game and only read parts of it during and after the fact.
Golden
The Coward
Posts in topic: 219

Post by Golden »

I didn't see disdain from inh. He seemed to be fine with others using it, pointed out that it had a particular weakness in this game, and made it clear he wouldn't be using it. That's all perfectly reasonable.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Canucklehead wrote:Civ Golden is a hurricane of self-assurance.
G-Man wrote: Coward
Dom
mayor of gaytown
Posts in topic: 156

Post by Dom »

insertnamehere wrote:Can I just say how majorly awesome the rule list, the player list, the host posts, and pretty much all of the extra effort Rico has put into this game is?

Because it really is. Plus I have a new band to listen to in the dead of winter, which seems like the perfect climate for their music.
this tbh
MovingPictures07 wrote:Well, I've OT talked enough.

Although recently I've uncovered that POE naturally describes my recently developed playstyle because I much more easily find town reads than I do baddie reads, I've never formally used POE before.

I'll be using POE exclusively this game, and I'd like to approach it both as an individual (with my rainbow lists like I usually do) but as a group this time.

Who wants to join me? :mafia:
tbh what does this mean tbh
JaggedJimmyJay wrote:Actually MP, your post count has already jumped to an obscene place. I'm not sure I've seen it quite like this since you started Transistor with 57 posts before the second-highest poster made it to #8.

i got a cherry tree out back
wanna pick some more?
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

JaggedJimmyJay wrote:
MovingPictures07 wrote:

Furthermore, I could say that this was a bit of a softball, Jay, fabricated to seem as though you care about uncovering my alignment, but with no actual value in determining that or in generating useful conversation. :mafia:

What would you say in response to that?
I would say that it probably is a softball, or perhaps it's better described as a poo fling. That's the nature of Day 0. I'm more conscious of the specific point I made than the average player because I was on your baddie team in Transistor. It came to mind so I puked it into the thread. You had 30 posts and I was in second place with I think 8. That's a significant disparity that recalled the even more significant disparity in that other game.
That's fair enough.
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

Golden wrote:I didn't see disdain from inh. He seemed to be fine with others using it, pointed out that it had a particular weakness in this game, and made it clear he wouldn't be using it. That's all perfectly reasonable.
Yeah, this was part of my point; as a member of the mafia, if he in reality feels so strongly against POE, he could have easily derailed the entire thread by responding in a more emotionally manipulative manner. Instead, he popped in, noticed a potential hole in my strategy, expressed his beefs, and then was basically like 'OK, you do you, I'll do me'. I would expect that a mafia INH might have been more tempted to respond more outrageously, or at least draw out the conversation more. He seemed intent to express his piece and then end it.
JaggedJimmyJay

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

MovingPictures07 wrote:Perhaps I'm being unclear. He displayed no inherent agenda in that conversation; that's what I'm trying to express. Now I'll need to see more from him, obviously, to determine whether that continues to be a pattern, but tentatively I think there is an interpretation to his behavior that he handled my conversation in a manner befitting a player more likely town than not.

Perhaps I'm also missing key perspective here though considering I didn't engage in the Red vs. Blue game and only read parts of it during and after the fact.
It sounds like you're saying in so many words that you think he appears sincere in his perspective and his conveyance of that perspective. I would agree with that. I think it's a perspective he has embraced in a number of recent games. I don't really derive any meaningful read from it because I think it's the default answer for him.

Awards:

The Syndicate

Student Doctor Network

Rate Your Music

Best Scum, Maffies 3
Spirit Award, Maffies 9

Mafia Universe

Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

Dom wrote:
MovingPictures07 wrote:Well, I've OT talked enough.

Although recently I've uncovered that POE naturally describes my recently developed playstyle because I much more easily find town reads than I do baddie reads, I've never formally used POE before.

I'll be using POE exclusively this game, and I'd like to approach it both as an individual (with my rainbow lists like I usually do) but as a group this time.

Who wants to join me? :mafia:
tbh what does this mean tbh
Stated as simply as possible, POE ("process of elimination") takes the typical strategy of a town player (to hunt for members of the mafia) and flips it on its head (instead hunt for fellow townies).

The theory behind POE is that town can win due to the fact that it has a majority, and if members of the town can collectively use POE to clear enough of each other from consideration of being mafia, then the only players that haven't been cleared are the mafia.

A player can approach POE on an individual level, like I've usually been doing more so these days in the beginning of the game when I state "here are 5 town reads", etc., and then when it comes time to vote I just vote among the players I haven't found any reason to call town.

Multiple players can approach POE on a group level with specific intent of using POE (something I have not yet participated in), and assuming those players can town-clear each other, they will then work with each other collectively to cross-examine each other's town reads to develop a consensus suspect pool. For example, if there are 10 players, and I (as Player #1) have town reads on Players #3, 5, 7, and 8, and Players #3 and #5 who also are using POE have town reads on Players #2, 4, 5, and 9, then that leaves a consensus suspect pool of only Players #6 and #10, since neither of those players are being town read by any of the players utilizing POE. All of the POE-utilizing players would then decide on either #6 or #10 for their votes.
JaggedJimmyJay

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

Dom wrote:

wanna pick some more?
It's a cherry pick if MP dominates the early post count this much in every game, and I don't think he does. Indeed other than Transistor I might say the other most applicable comparison is to the Scrimmage (I can't remember his precise post count comparatively; I just remember it being very high very early). It doesn't make him bad, but it's worth throwing some poop.

Awards:

The Syndicate

Student Doctor Network

Rate Your Music

Best Scum, Maffies 3
Spirit Award, Maffies 9

Mafia Universe

Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

JaggedJimmyJay wrote:
MovingPictures07 wrote:Perhaps I'm being unclear. He displayed no inherent agenda in that conversation; that's what I'm trying to express. Now I'll need to see more from him, obviously, to determine whether that continues to be a pattern, but tentatively I think there is an interpretation to his behavior that he handled my conversation in a manner befitting a player more likely town than not.

It sounds like you're saying in so many words that you think he appears sincere in his perspective and his conveyance of that perspective. I would agree with that. I think it's a perspective he has embraced in a number of recent games. I don't really derive any meaningful read from it because I think it's the default answer for him.
Yeah, you could say it boils down to that I guess.
JaggedJimmyJay

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

MovingPictures07 wrote:
Golden wrote:I didn't see disdain from inh. He seemed to be fine with others using it, pointed out that it had a particular weakness in this game, and made it clear he wouldn't be using it. That's all perfectly reasonable.
Yeah, this was part of my point; as a member of the mafia, if he in reality feels so strongly against POE, he could have easily derailed the entire thread by responding in a more emotionally manipulative manner. Instead, he popped in, noticed a potential hole in my strategy, expressed his beefs, and then was basically like 'OK, you do you, I'll do me'. I would expect that a mafia INH might have been more tempted to respond more outrageously, or at least draw out the conversation more. He seemed intent to express his piece and then end it.
I guess I don't agree with this assertion. I don't think "emotional manipulation" is a typical circumstance in strategic dialogue regardless of alignment. Sometimes it gets heated when people don't understand each other like it did in Red vs. Blue, but that's an exception and not the rule in my experience (and in that game everyone involved minus Epi was town).

Awards:

The Syndicate

Student Doctor Network

Rate Your Music

Best Scum, Maffies 3
Spirit Award, Maffies 9

Mafia Universe

Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

JaggedJimmyJay wrote:
MovingPictures07 wrote:
I guess I don't agree with this assertion. I don't think "emotional manipulation" is a typical circumstance in strategic dialogue regardless of alignment. Sometimes it gets heated when people don't understand each other like it did in Red vs. Blue, but that's an exception and not the rule in my experience (and in that game everyone involved minus Epi was town).
Well, I'd say "emotional manipulation" as a phrase might convey what I'm trying to say more strongly than what I'm exploring as a possible avenue. I'm just saying I think a mafia INH could have upped his outrage a bit or used the conversation to his advantage if he was mafia. The fact that I perceive he did neither of those things doesn't make him town by default by any means, but it's a largely gut-based read and I'm sticking to it for now. :noble:
Golden
The Coward

Post by Golden »

JaggedJimmyJay wrote:
MovingPictures07 wrote:
I don't agree with THIS assertion, because I've seen people (including MP and epi) do it masterfully and intentionally when bad to get people to see things their way. There's a reason llama looks for too many adjectives. It's not entirely bullsuit.

I do think a lack of agenda is inherently town-leaning. I don't know that I'm willing to give inh a town read yet (because he did get emotional about PoEs, in my opinion, in Red vs Blue and he was town there, and I see what he has posted here as a natural progression of his thinking as a person rather than a character in this game.)
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

Golden wrote:
JaggedJimmyJay wrote:
MovingPictures07 wrote:
I don't agree with THIS assertion, because I've seen people (including MP and epi) do it masterfully and intentionally when bad to get people to see things their way. There's a reason llama looks for too many adjectives. It's not entirely bullsuit.

I do think a lack of agenda is inherently town-leaning. I don't know that I'm willing to give inh a town read yet (because he did get emotional about PoEs, in my opinion, in Red vs Blue and he was town there, and I see what he has posted here as a natural progression of his thinking as a person rather than a character in this game.)
:feb:

I agree. I think there is always a conscious, or even subconscious, thought process for every member of the mafia before they post something, because they are manufacturing their content. They are asking themselves constantly, "how can I use this current conversation to my advantage?", regardless of whether that conversation is strategy-based or a suspicion, case, whatever.

Now your parentheses stuff is why my read is pretty tentative. I don't have the experience you two did with him there either, so it's very possible that my gut-fueled perspective isn't fully informed.
JaggedJimmyJay

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

It's probably a small point of dissent that appears larger in a lengthy discussion, because I don't have a baddie read on INH. The only read-relevant thing I have to say is that he's on meta, and that's still a positive thing even if only weakly so.

Awards:

The Syndicate

Student Doctor Network

Rate Your Music

Best Scum, Maffies 3
Spirit Award, Maffies 9

Mafia Universe

Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

I'm bored now. I need more content. I grow tired of this conversation.
Epignosis
Skeletor
Posts in topic: 326

Post by Epignosis »

This is Boring, but at Least The Children Are Asleep
Stream my music for free: https://epignosis.bandcamp.com/
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

Epignosis wrote:This is Boring, but at Least The Children Are Asleep
:haha: :clap:
Spacedaisy
Spectral Enchantress
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Spacedaisy »

Hello, hello, hello players! My name is Spacedaisy and I'm an alcholi.... no wait, that's not right. I'm your Moderator on Duty for this game. So here's the deal, I'm here to help keep this game moving forward with as few problems as possible. What that means is we don't want interpersonal conflict of an OT nature clogging up the game thread. It makes the game feel uncomfortable for everyone involved. If you get upset, reach out to me. I am a great listener. If you are pissed off and just want to swear at someone, come swear at me! I can take it! If you have questions or concerns or complaints, that's my bread and butter baby! Give 'em to me! Seriously, if at any point you feel unhappy about something and need assistance or just to vent, that is my job. Even if your host makes you mad, or you have grievances you feel aren't being addressed, come talk to me and I'l do everything in my power to help make the situation better for everyone involved. Now, if I reach out to you, it's probably just because I'm concerned that your posts sound like you might be getting legitimately worked up and I want to make sure you are ok and see if there is anything I can do. Please don't take offense to that, it's not intended to chastise you or anything. I just care about your emotional well-being. :hugs: So, all that said, have a great game and I will be reading along and commenting now and again just so you all know I'm still here! Have fun!

P.S. Lynch Rico, he's always up to no good! :srsnod:
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
DrWilgy
Capo Regime (Street Boss)
Posts in topic: 53

Post by DrWilgy »

I lost interest after reading PoE 3 times :sigh:

JJJ and MP, are you teammates again?
nutella wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:56 pm Image
@DrWilgy don't post any more k
Image Image Image
JaggedJimmyJay wrote:Wilgy's vote is an enigma of science. Philosophers are known to throw their tomes across the auditorium in a fit of frustration after failing to solve its mystery.
insertnamehere wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2017 11:50 pm WTF was up with Wilgy's entire deal?
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

DrWilgy wrote:I lost interest after reading PoE 3 times :sigh:

Boy I wish. :feb:

But if JJJ's role card is town, then yes, we are town teammates. :noble:
DrWilgy

Post by DrWilgy »

You could've just stated that you don't know.
Image Image Image
JaggedJimmyJay wrote:Wilgy's vote is an enigma of science. Philosophers are known to throw their tomes across the auditorium in a fit of frustration after failing to solve its mystery.
insertnamehere wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2017 11:50 pm WTF was up with Wilgy's entire deal?
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

DrWilgy wrote:You could've just stated that you don't know.
Sure, I suppose I could have, but I'm naturally notoriously verbose when I speak and type, and I apparently intend on keeping it that way. :p
DrWilgy

Post by DrWilgy »

MovingPictures07 wrote:
Sure, I suppose I could have, but I'm naturally notoriously verbose when I speak and type, and I apparently intend on keeping it that way. :p
Staaaaaahp

It makes me baddie read you.

It's too early in the game for my gut to be whispering sweet nothings.
Image Image Image
JaggedJimmyJay

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

If MP is town we are.

#redefiningteam #notonlybaddiesworktogether

Do you have a reason to suspect we're bad together?

Awards:

The Syndicate

Student Doctor Network

Rate Your Music

Best Scum, Maffies 3
Spirit Award, Maffies 9

Mafia Universe

Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

JaggedJimmyJay

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

Hey look at that. Twinsies.

Awards:

The Syndicate

Student Doctor Network

Rate Your Music

Best Scum, Maffies 3
Spirit Award, Maffies 9

Mafia Universe

Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

Epignosis
Skeletor
Posts in topic: 326

Post by Epignosis »

Some People Just Like Big Numbers Under Their Names
Stream my music for free: https://epignosis.bandcamp.com/
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

DrWilgy wrote:
MovingPictures07 wrote:
Staaaaaahp

It makes me baddie read you.

It's too early in the game for my gut to be whispering sweet nothings.
Why would my typical manner of speaking make you mafia read me?
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

JaggedJimmyJay wrote:Hey look at that. Twinsies.
4lyf yo :slick:
DrWilgy

Post by DrWilgy »

JaggedJimmyJay wrote:

If MP is town we are.

Not so much suspect, more so concerned, ptsd from former games and all. Though I'm pretty sure it's mixed up in my head which game is causing it.

Linki @MP - idk. I think it's the PoE discussion along with your mannerisms. Declaring PoE as your playstyle gives you a means to stick to something and have at least have that method of play be true. Your mannerisms make it hard to read you in general.
Image Image Image
DrWilgy

Post by DrWilgy »

Sloonei, are you bad?
Image Image Image
Dom
mayor of gaytown
Posts in topic: 156

Post by Dom »

JaggedJimmyJay wrote:
Dom wrote:

wanna pick some more?
It's a cherry pick if MP dominates the early post count this much in every game, and I don't think he does. Indeed other than Transistor I might say the other most applicable comparison is to the Scrimmage (I can't remember his precise post count comparatively; I just remember it being very high very early). It doesn't make him bad, but it's worth throwing some poop.
you're right. it's certainly a load of crap. :p
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

DrWilgy wrote:
JaggedJimmyJay wrote:

If MP is town we are.

Not so much suspect, more so concerned, ptsd from former games and all. Though I'm pretty sure it's mixed up in my head which game is causing it.

Linki @MP - idk. I think it's the PoE discussion along with your mannerisms. Declaring PoE as your playstyle gives you a means to stick to something and have at least have that method of play be true. Your mannerisms make it hard to read you in general.
I suppose that's true, but you and everyone else will still have to judge my content and make an alignment assessment regardless of whether I'm using POE or my 'normal' playstyle (which is similar anyway because I try to avoid tunneling these days), and I promise I'll try to give you as much content as possible for you to make that judgment. So there's no trickery to me 'hiding behind' something true, if that's what you're concerned about, unless I'm misunderstanding your point.

If specific mannerisms make me difficult to read, then why would you so clearly state that one of those mannerisms compels you to mafia read me? Would that not be equivalent to saying that you default read me as a baddie, and thus nullify your read if it is coming solely from my mannerism use? (does that make sense?)
DrWilgy

Post by DrWilgy »

That's exactly what a baddie would say.

Eh, I guess it was the mannerisms were just subject of my thoughts at the moment, but you are correct. This defined PoE playstyle is what has my feathers rustled. Your argument that it produces content doesn't settle my stomachache either as I know you have the potential to out tons of posts as a baddie just as you do while civvie.
Image Image Image
DrWilgy

Post by DrWilgy »

Goodnight beautiful people. I hope you have plesent lives while I rest my weary eyes.

I love you all.
Image Image Image
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

DrWilgy wrote:That's exactly what a baddie would say.

Eh, I guess it was the mannerisms were just subject of my thoughts at the moment, but you are correct. This defined PoE playstyle is what has my feathers rustled. Your argument that it produces content doesn't settle my stomachache either as I know you have the potential to out tons of posts as a baddie just as you do while civvie.
But that's exactly my point; you even admit that it's not alignment indicative. You shouldn't be mafia reading me for my intent to play under POE because my ability to play within POE is compatible with either alignment.

Your interpretation of my selection of POE as mafia-indicative is weak and can be countered with explanations that would make me less likely to engage in this behavior as mafia. For example, one could argue that it is inherently risky for me to come out and declare that I am purposefully using a different strategy than what I normally employ and thus brings unwanted attention to me, especially as someone who often gets lynched early in games, as mafia-aligned.
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

Conclusion: I think Wilgy is tinfoil reading me as mafia because he's afraid that I'm mafia.
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

DrWilgy wrote:Goodnight beautiful people. I hope you have plesent lives while I rest my weary eyes.

I love you all.
Good night, Wilgy! I am getting tired myself and have to teach my 8am class, so I am out of here for the day as well. :beer:

Later, fellow players! :offtobed:
insertnamehere
Made Man
Posts in topic: 30

Post by insertnamehere »

JaggedJimmyJay wrote:
MovingPictures07 wrote:I am townreading that highlighted bit. That sentiment is constructed in a manner that bluntly stated his beef; at face value, I believe him. Further, I like his last paragraph, because as a member of the mafia he could have easily used this conversation to derail or antagonize as a way to manipulate the thread, but he left it alone.

In summary, INH noted my declaration to use POE, noted a fair criticism of its approach in this game, then after engaging with me a bit further on it, clearly stated his beef with it, that he will be using a different method, and was willing to leave it at that. I see no nefarious avenue for the way he approached this situation, only a fellow member of the town sincerely expressing his concerns and approach to the game.

It's not much, but I think already the strategy conversation at least generated a potentially useful read. What do you think?
I think INH completely misinterpreted/misrepresented my perspective (I won't even be using much PoE myself in this game, he assumed the contrary based on I don't know what). That happens in every game we play together though so shrug. We seem to have some core inability to understand one another that has never ceased.

I think his stance on the issue suits his meta, which is a decent enough look so early in the game that there's nothing better to say.
Call it me getting too emotionally-invested in mafia, or me being simply too stubbornly self-righteous, but I genuinely despise getting mislynched as a civilian. Yes, I know nobody actually enjoys it, but I sometimes feel physically ill if I'm getting slaughtered in the thread for reasons I believe to be idiotic. That usually causes me to get worked up, usually to my own detriment. See: Max, Mad (where I ironically had a role where if I was lynched, I lost my ability to vote, but was more or less proven town. This lead to me leading a miserable existence surrounded by people who tried quite hard to lynch me, which caused me to randomize my vote and occasionally pop in to watch the fireworks, and beg to be nightkilled. Not one of my finer showings.)

I personally find game theory and the different permutations and situations it examines absolutely fascinating. Inventive and crazy game mechanics are why I play mafia- not because I'm good at reading people. This is why I'm trying to stick to mostly heavily experimental and, for lack of a better word, crazy games. (My favorite game of all time is Oblique Strategies, a bizarre lark of a game where I managed to convince members of a team I had to have dead to win to publicly out themselves and submit themselves to be lynched. So that tells you what my idea of a good mafia game is.)

The real reason I don't like POE is because I deeply fear a situation where I haven't been towncleared by the Supatown Collective Consciousness, and due to good ol' Process of Elimination have to be lynched. Unfortunately, my playing style is too non-showy and lacking bold play, and the votes pile up in my direction. No matter how much I scream and yell in the thread, I'm still seen as playing inferior to other people, and am told for my efforts that I should try harder at trying to catch baddies instead of bothering to defend myself, a concept which I find intrinsically offensive.

It's just far easier for me to see ways in which POE doesn't work, and many ways in which it could directly screw me over than it is for me to see ways in which it works perfectly.

Part of that is because I find declaring someone a civilian and someone a member of the mafia equally difficult. Unfortunately, my brain is inclined towards seeing people who are nice and respectful towards me, and play the same way, vote the same way, and act the same way as me as civilians, which is something I deliberately to counteract by being very apprehensive to give an actual townread. So the fact that MP has already decided to townread me completely confuzzles me.

In my reckoning, townreads should be under as much if not more scrutiny than scumreads, and are equally unreliable. I've been wrong many a time as a civilian about who I think is mafia, and I can only imagine that if I, personally, were to embrace the POE strategy, I would have an equal margin of error. But, if I misread one civilian as mafia, and get them lynched, that equals 1 dead civilian. If I misread one mafia as civilian, and I continue lynching people I don't view as civillians, that's far more possible net civ losses.

To bring this rambling discursive mini essay back to something approaching a cogent point, let me futher illustrate the quibble I have with this post from 3J, which I brushed over earlier:
JaggedJimmyJay wrote:I think INH is right that a cooperative PoE effort in a game where townies must survive to win is inherently challenged, because in games like this town reads are generally harder to come by. However, the only reason that's true is that townies are more hesitant to put forth a visible, vocal effort for fear of standing out and becoming kill targets. That problem is resolved if every townie puts forth a visible, vocal effort.

Maybe that's a pipe dream, but I would encourage the townies out there to still make a concerted effort to play for the town win condition as much as their own survival. To focus too much on survival ensures that the baddies benefit maximally from these rules as I would theorize they typically do. I think it's the #1 reason town won games so infrequently on this site until recently (as that rule has appeared less often).

Rico, please don't interpret this as a complaint. It's just advice.
Nobody, except for maybe Vompatti, (sorry vomps, luv u) signs up for a game not expecting to play to the best of their abilities. But, the fact of the matter is that people play differently. I'm skittish. I dislike jumping the gun, am apprehensive to make reads, and like to sit back and observe the thread instead of directly instigating it. That doesn't really jive with this:
JaggedJimmyJay wrote:When I say I want townies to play for the town win condition, that means I want to see their reads. I want to see their suspicions. I want to see their cases.
Players who get very intensely into the game, like 3J, have no problem coming up with reads, cases, and suspicions. Those who are not necessarily as forthcoming with reads, cases, and suspicions could then be seen as not furthering the civ cause. Then, they have less evidence of their "civvieness" than their more post-happy counterparts. That's where POE breaks down for me.

You'd never see a player like (sorry to keep using you as an example; it's just too easy) Vompatti advocate for the use of POE. It's usually players who contribute heavily to the thread, and are confident in their ability to do so in the future.

It feels like a system that directly benefits the super active and punishes the lesser active, both of which being completely irrelevant to actual alignment. And stuff like this:
MovingPictures07 wrote:I want to town read you and Golden, but I cannot justify that quite yet
just makes the hair on the back of my neck stand up.

Anywho.

Is any of this relevant to GY!BE Mafia, and who I personally suspect? Fuck no. Hell, 3J is saying that he isn't using POE, which makes a large part of this essay irrelevant. But I feel like there's been some friction between me and 3J specifically, who continues to think my meta is contrarian gnat, and may try to lynch me the second I agree with him on something. It's a Jane Austen, socialite ladies slighting each other at dinner parties kind of friction, but still. I just wanted to vomit my thought out on this subject, just to get them clearly out there. After all, I'm just a soul whose intentions are good, oh lord, please don't let me be misunderstood.
WILD AT HEART MAFIA
viewtopic.php?f=33&t=1679

Image Image Image
Golden
The Coward

Post by Golden »

MovingPictures07 wrote:Conclusion: I think Wilgy is tinfoil reading me as mafia because he's afraid that I'm mafia.
So... you are townreading Wilgy?
Golden
The Coward

Post by Golden »

insertnamehere wrote:3J continues to think my meta is contrarian gnat
Oh my, someone needs to sig this. It's awesome.
Sloonei
Cap'n Sloonbeard
Posts in topic: 141
Preferred Pronouns: he/his/him

Post by Sloonei »

Usually I'm all for tons of chatter out of the gate, but I'm too tired to read 140 posts right now, so you can all gonto hell.
My banners:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
JaggedJimmyJay

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

Sloonei wrote:Usually I'm all for tons of chatter out of the gate, but I'm too tired to read 140 posts right now, so you can all gonto hell.
You're probably not the only one that feels that way. I think we let our dialogue drag too long and I am going to chill out for the rest of Day 0. This is check-in time, not blow up the thread time.

That changes when the lynching starts. :dark:

Awards:

The Syndicate

Student Doctor Network

Rate Your Music

Best Scum, Maffies 3
Spirit Award, Maffies 9

Mafia Universe

Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

JaggedJimmyJay

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

I think you're good people INH. We may not agree about anything in Mafia, but oh well.

Awards:

The Syndicate

Student Doctor Network

Rate Your Music

Best Scum, Maffies 3
Spirit Award, Maffies 9

Mafia Universe

Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

Sloonei
Cap'n Sloonbeard
Posts in topic: 141
Preferred Pronouns: he/his/him

Post by Sloonei »

JaggedJimmyJay wrote:
Sloonei wrote:Usually I'm all for tons of chatter out of the gate, but I'm too tired to read 140 posts right now, so you can all gonto hell.
You're probably not the only one that feels that way. I think we let our dialogue drag too long and I am going to chill out for the rest of Day 0. This is check-in time, not blow up the thread time.

That changes when the lynching starts. :dark:
I have no actual gripe. Please continue things if you feel like it's leading somewhere. I'm just assuming the role of grouch this game. It fits my persona.
My banners:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
timmer
Racketeer
Posts in topic: 162

Post by timmer »

What the hell does POE mean? Am I that far out of the loop?
My siggie.
timmer
Racketeer
Posts in topic: 162

Post by timmer »

Listening to a song called Storm, which is apparently 22 and a half minutes long? Gorgeous stuff, so far...
My siggie.
Scotty
Jeff
Posts in topic: 90
Preferred Pronouns: He/him

Post by Scotty »

timmer wrote:What the hell does POE mean? Am I that far out of the loop?
Port of entry

:beer:
When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather;
not screaming like the people in his car
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Return to “Previous Side Missions”