Features & Improvements Suggestion Box

We welcome your feedback on the site and any requests for technical features such as smileys, forum skins, and general improvements or additions you would like to see at The Syndicate.

Moderator: Community Team

juliets
Dancing Pancake
Posts in topic: 17
Preferred Pronouns: she/her/hers
Aka: jules

Re: Features & Improvements Suggestion Box

Post by juliets »

Jackofhearts2005 wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 11:14 am
poutanko wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 2:36 am Soneji voters: Juliets, Lunalee, timmer, Jackofhearts2005, JaggedJimmyJay
I'll ISO them later.

Who's the one leading the vote before it went to Soneji? Image
@JaggedJimmyJay
@juliets
Can we steal Mafia Universe’s vote tracking code? It would be so nice to be able to answer questions like this. Not only does it track in thread votes, it keeps a list of all votes that looks like

Sloonei votes Jack ^1
Nutella votes Jack ^2
Jay votes Jack ^3
Nutella unvotes Jack v2
Nutella votes Jay ^1

And then you can click into any of these votes and it will show you the vote count at the time that vote was placed. All votes are shown in order they were placed left to right and by who has the most votes up to down. All votes within the counts are also hyperlinked to the posts where those votes were made so you can see the context.

They might not let us have it cause automod is like the pride and joy of MU but I think it’s worth asking. Polls are way better than manual vote counts (never doing that again after FE) but automod is another giant leap in the right direction. Plus, no having to make a polls thread.

Also, I’ve been doing a lot of coding at work lately and I’d love a chance to look at the backend of what we have here sometime esp in regards to polls.
Jack, thanks for brining this up, it's annoying when we used to have it and now don't. Hopefully Jay will get a positive answer. Just out of curiosity do you know the programming language on this site (I think it's phpbb but Jay will correct me if I'm wrong)?
JaggedJimmyJay wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 3:24 pm Always good to remember that there is no such thing as a Mafia circumstance that is worth real human emotion. Sometimes it will naturally come out, but it can be contained if we just remember that this is a game on a message board forum that 99.99% of the population of the Earth has never heard of before. No matter how successful anyone is, it means just about nothing.

Spoiler: show
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
JaggedJimmyJay
The Brassiere of The Syndicate
Posts in topic: 21
Preferred Pronouns: He/him/his/himself
Aka: Jay | JJJ | J3 | 3J | jagged | Jimmy | KOFM

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

poutanko wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 11:44 am
JaggedJimmyJay wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 11:41 am
poutanko wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 11:39 am
JaggedJimmyJay wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 11:37 am Well that's no fun!

Do you primarily log in at the top right portion of the page, or near the bottom?
At the top in both mobile and PC, does it have an effect? Image
took me 2-3 times to make a post here Image
I'm uncertain, but it might be worth experimenting. Could you try logging in at the bottom next time and see if it lasts longer?
Just tried it, we'll see if it works. The bottom one only exists in main page tho :puppy:
Hopefully it makes a difference. :ponder:

Either way I really appreciate your patience.
Overall: 73-57 (.56) | Town 49-41 (.54) | Mafia 18-11 (.62) | Independent 6-4 (.60)

The Syndicate: Town 23-26; Mafia 10-5; Indy 5-1 | RateYourMusic: Town 14-13; Mafia 5-4; Indy 0-3 | Mafia Universe: Town 6-0; Mafia 1-0 | Student Doctor Network: Town 2-1; Mafia 1-0 | HeroClixRealms: Town 1-0; Mafia 0-1 | Bulbagarden: Mafia 0-1; Indy 1-0 | 2+2 POG: Town 1-0 | Naruto Forums: Town 0-1 | Personality Café: Town 1-0 | Vendetta Strada: Town 0-1 | Mafia451: Town 1-0 | Wintreath: Mafia 1-0

Awards:

The Syndicate

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Student Doctor Network

ImageImageImageImageImage

Rate Your Music

Best Townie, Maffies 4, 8 and 9
Best Scum, Maffies 3
Best Moderator, Maffies 8 and 9
Most Valuable Player, Maffies 7 and 9
Best Roleplay, Maffies 4 and 6
Spirit Award, Maffies 9
Hall of Fame inductee, Maffies 4

Mafia Universe

Mafia Championship Finalist, 2015 and 2020
Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage[-Mass Effect Mafia banner-]ImageImageImageImage
poutanko
The Mark
Posts in topic: 9

Post by poutanko »

JaggedJimmyJay wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 11:46 am

Do you primarily log in at the top right portion of the page, or near the bottom?
I'm uncertain, but it might be worth experimenting. Could you try logging in at the bottom next time and see if it lasts longer?
Just tried it, we'll see if it works. The bottom one only exists in main page tho :puppy:

It happened again XD
So tell me, where shall I go? To the left, where nothing's right? Or to the right, where nothing's left?
poutanko
The Mark

Post by poutanko »

JaggedJimmyJay wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 11:46 am

It happened again XD
So tell me, where shall I go? To the left, where nothing's right? Or to the right, where nothing's left?
JaggedJimmyJay

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

poutanko wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 11:51 am It happened again XD
:ponder:

What browser(s) do you use?
Overall: 73-57 (.56) | Town 49-41 (.54) | Mafia 18-11 (.62) | Independent 6-4 (.60)

The Syndicate: Town 23-26; Mafia 10-5; Indy 5-1 | RateYourMusic: Town 14-13; Mafia 5-4; Indy 0-3 | Mafia Universe: Town 6-0; Mafia 1-0 | Student Doctor Network: Town 2-1; Mafia 1-0 | HeroClixRealms: Town 1-0; Mafia 0-1 | Bulbagarden: Mafia 0-1; Indy 1-0 | 2+2 POG: Town 1-0 | Naruto Forums: Town 0-1 | Personality Café: Town 1-0 | Vendetta Strada: Town 0-1 | Mafia451: Town 1-0 | Wintreath: Mafia 1-0

Awards:

The Syndicate

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Student Doctor Network

Rate Your Music

Best Scum, Maffies 3
Spirit Award, Maffies 9

Mafia Universe

Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage[-Mass Effect Mafia banner-]ImageImageImageImage
poutanko
The Mark

Post by poutanko »

Mozilla Firefox in both mobile and PC. I don't like Chrome and had problem with Opera before.
JaggedJimmyJay

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

I'm tinkering around now on Firefox and it seems to be holding up. Perhaps the browser is unrelated. :ponder:

Awards:

The Syndicate

Student Doctor Network

Rate Your Music

Best Scum, Maffies 3
Spirit Award, Maffies 9

Mafia Universe

Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

poutanko
The Mark

Post by poutanko »

I'm still getting signed out so yea Image
Spacedaisy
Spectral Enchantress
Posts in topic: 29

Post by Spacedaisy »

[mention]juliets[/mention] MU uses vBulletin I believe and we use phpbb, so they are different. We would not be able to just steal their codes. Now, I am coming up on a lot of free time and will definitely like some distractions so perhaps I can figure out the code with the resources I got to learn the phpbb coding. I’ll give it a go.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
juliets
Dancing Pancake

Post by juliets »

Cool beans daisy, it will be wonderful if we can get the poll sequence back - and then multi quotes! And who knows what else we could use.
JaggedJimmyJay wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 3:24 pm Always good to remember that there is no such thing as a Mafia circumstance that is worth real human emotion. Sometimes it will naturally come out, but it can be contained if we just remember that this is a game on a message board forum that 99.99% of the population of the Earth has never heard of before. No matter how successful anyone is, it means just about nothing.

ImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
Jackofhearts2005
something funny
Posts in topic: 11
Preferred Pronouns: He/His/Him

Post by Jackofhearts2005 »

JaggedJimmyJay wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 12:01 pm I'm tinkering around now on Firefox and it seems to be holding up. Perhaps the browser is unrelated. :ponder:
I randomly get signed out on mobile Safari and pc Chrome.

Seems to happen several times in a day/week and then not happen for a month or so.
JaggedJimmyJay

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

It certainly happens to me on mobile Safari, but not really otherwise. Dear [mention]Marmot[/mention], might you have any special insight into this issue?

Awards:

The Syndicate

Student Doctor Network

Rate Your Music

Best Scum, Maffies 3
Spirit Award, Maffies 9

Mafia Universe

Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

dunya
GOAT Whisperer
Posts in topic: 22

Post by dunya »

is it just me or have image links been broken lately? all images in INH's sign up thread arent showing for me, as well as Long Con's newest banner.
juliets
Dancing Pancake

Post by juliets »

dunya wrote: Sun Nov 11, 2018 10:48 am is it just me or have image links been broken lately? all images in INH's sign up thread arent showing for me, as well as Long Con's newest banner.
dunya, they are showing up for me.

ImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
Long Con
So Divine
Posts in topic: 16
Preferred Pronouns: boy ones

Post by Long Con »

Images in polls. Can we do images in polls?
poutanko
The Mark

Post by poutanko »

Multi quote button ~ :beer:
boo
Loan Shark
Posts in topic: 40
Preferred Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by boo »

poutanko wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 2:59 am Multi quote button ~ :beer:
Doable: https://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtop ... &t=2467831
Banners
ImageImageImage
ImageImage
You a damn fool.
boo
Loan Shark

Post by boo »

Is vote ordering still a problem that needs fixing?
Banners
ImageImageImage
ImageImage
You a damn fool.
Epignosis
Skeletor
Posts in topic: 8

Post by Epignosis »

boo wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 8:48 pm Is vote ordering still a problem that needs fixing?
As far as I know, yes.
Stream my music for free: https://epignosis.bandcamp.com/
Turnip Head
Root Vegetable
Posts in topic: 5
Preferred Pronouns: they/their

Post by Turnip Head »

Home page takes forever to scroll through and looks bloated. Any way to clean it up a little? Maybe just one subforum for sign-ups?
boo
Loan Shark

Post by boo »

Turnip Head wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 12:56 pm Home page takes forever to scroll through and looks bloated. Any way to clean it up a little? Maybe just one subforum for sign-ups?
That would be doable. I would've assumed letting each user set things up how they wanted was an option, but it looks like that's overly limited to just the admin control panel, so that wouldn't work. But I agree it's overly large, so a discussion about ways of minimizing things that aren't needed all the time would probably be a good idea.

My suggestions, in addition to what you said about one signup subforum (it's a good idea):
1) Job subforums that don't have an active game can be moved/hidden so they aren't showing up, and only be brought out when a game is actually being played.
2) Make game submissions, hideout, hall of fame, and museum all subbed into one (so you click through and then see all 4, rather than having all 4 at all times on the front)
3) If possible (I'd assume it should be via extension, but I haven't looked yet) make the non-mafia games and off topic hidden by default, and those headers have to be clicked on to expand them (and then would be viewed as they currently exist). If that isn't something that can be done, like with 2), just make those each sub-forums, and then everything within them sub-sub-forums.

I don't know that it would all be necessary (on mobile it would make things less painful, so I suppose it depends if people are predominantly on computer/tablet or on phones), but doing some of it should tidy stuff up.
Banners
ImageImageImage
ImageImage
You a damn fool.
dunya
GOAT Whisperer

Post by dunya »

wow where has boo been all our lives? vote ordering and multiquote would be huge.

would have to think about how to make the home page smaller hmmm
Sloonei
Cap'n Sloonbeard
Posts in topic: 25
Preferred Pronouns: he/his/him

Post by Sloonei »

dunya wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 12:18 pm wow where has boo been all our lives? vote ordering and multiquote would be huge.

would have to think about how to make the home page smaller hmmm
I think we can just clean up the presentation of the various subforums on the index page, for starters. It has gotten a bit cluttered.
My banners:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
boo
Loan Shark

Post by boo »

boo wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 8:32 pm
poutanko wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 2:59 am Multi quote button ~ :beer:
Doable: https://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtop ... &t=2467831
This has now been added.

A quick guide on how to do it:
Banners
ImageImageImage
ImageImage
You a damn fool.
boo
Loan Shark

Post by boo »

Forums can now be collapsed:

Use the plus/minus icon to collapse or bring back up a sub-forum you do or do not want to see.

It works in both the prosilver and black themes that are available.
Banners
ImageImageImage
ImageImage
You a damn fool.
dunya
GOAT Whisperer

Post by dunya »

hell yeahs! thanks @boo!
juliets
Dancing Pancake

Post by juliets »

awesome [mention]boo[/mention] !

ImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
JaggedJimmyJay

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

If you minimize portions of the index in that way it even saves through logouts. Pretty spiffy.

Awards:

The Syndicate

Student Doctor Network

Rate Your Music

Best Scum, Maffies 3
Spirit Award, Maffies 9

Mafia Universe

Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

boo
Loan Shark

Post by boo »

JaggedJimmyJay wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 11:11 am If you minimize portions of the index in that way it even saves through logouts. Pretty spiffy.
It'll also save it between devices. Which I don't like as much (being able to set it one way on desktop and another on mobile would be nice), but it's all stored in the database so it is what it is.
Banners
ImageImageImage
ImageImage
You a damn fool.
Sloonei
Cap'n Sloonbeard

Post by Sloonei »

A couple slight bugs with the mobile display that might have easy fixes (I dunno, maybe mobile is a different beast entirely):
1. ISO links don't display on mobile.
2. Linki posts are usually off-center and only half-visible, for some weird reason.
My banners:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
boo
Loan Shark

Post by boo »

Sloonei wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 2:26 pm A couple slight bugs with the mobile display that might have easy fixes (I dunno, maybe mobile is a different beast entirely):
1. ISO links don't display on mobile.
2. Linki posts are usually off-center and only half-visible, for some weird reason.
ISO will show up if you go landscape instead of portrait.

I'm not sure about linki posts. I would guess it can be solved the same way though (that seems to solve a lot of mobile issues).

A problem solving either of those in a better way though is that, from what I can tell, those are both just features of phpbb now, not something we have extensions running to do.
Banners
ImageImageImage
ImageImage
You a damn fool.
Sloonei
Cap'n Sloonbeard

Post by Sloonei »

I’m on mobile landscape right now and there’s no iso link.

I never use portrait mode. It’s cramped and dumb.
My banners:
ImageImageImageImage
boo
Loan Shark

Post by boo »

Ah, so it is varying depending on device then. Do you have avatars enabled?
Banners
ImageImageImage
ImageImage
You a damn fool.
boo
Loan Shark

Post by boo »

Well, I'm still not clear on where the Isolate Posts by user bit is coming from (there's no extension installed that should be doing it. My guess right now is that it used to be a mod we had installed before phpbb switched from mods to extensions, and somehow it stayed implemented). But now there's also "Post in Topic: x" at the top of user information stuff beside their post, does that work on your phone Sloonei?
Banners
ImageImageImage
ImageImage
You a damn fool.
Sloonei
Cap'n Sloonbeard

Post by Sloonei »

boo wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 1:53 pm Ah, so it is varying depending on device then. Do you have avatars enabled?
i do
My banners:
ImageImageImageImage
Turnip Head
Root Vegetable

Post by Turnip Head »

Iso is showing up for me on mobile in landscape. I have an Android
Sloonei
Cap'n Sloonbeard

Post by Sloonei »

I’ve got an iphone and there’s never been mobile iso links. Odd
My banners:
ImageImageImageImage
JaggedJimmyJay

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

Iphone here and nope

Awards:

The Syndicate

Student Doctor Network

Rate Your Music

Best Scum, Maffies 3
Spirit Award, Maffies 9

Mafia Universe

Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

Sloonei
Cap'n Sloonbeard

Post by Sloonei »

I like the new "posts in topic" counter, which also seems to effectively be a second ISO link.

... which also doesn't display on mobile for iphone users. I'm assuming the problem is with the iphone and not the website if android users don't have this problem.

I just clicked on it, the link in the "posts in topic" counter displays a person's post history in reverse order, while the old ISO link displays them in standard order. That's not really a problem, I'm just pointing it out.
My banners:
ImageImageImageImage
boo
Loan Shark

Post by boo »

Sloonei wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 3:24 pm I like the new "posts in topic" counter, which also seems to effectively be a second ISO link.

... which also doesn't display on mobile for iphone users. I'm assuming the problem is with the iphone and not the website if android users don't have this problem.

I just clicked on it, the link in the "posts in topic" counter displays a person's post history in reverse order, while the old ISO link displays them in standard order. That's not really a problem, I'm just pointing it out.
Yea, I installed that hoping it would give you an iso option on mobile.

If it's showing on Android for Turnip and I both fine (I'm assuming you're using chrome on it as well [mention]Turnip Head[/mention]?), and not on iPhone (using Safari or on a different browser [mention]Sloonei[/mention] and [mention]JaggedJimmyJay[/mention]?) I would guess it's something with that. I'd expect the browser over the device to be the issue, but it wouldn't be the weirdest thing I've seen an iPhone manage to do, so hard to say.
Banners
ImageImageImage
ImageImage
You a damn fool.
Sloonei
Cap'n Sloonbeard

Post by Sloonei »

I downloaded chrome on my phone to have a look. The display is exactly the same:
D46176C3-1C01-414D-B14F-9F0BF6AB6652.png
D46176C3-1C01-414D-B14F-9F0BF6AB6652.png (193.05 KiB) Viewed 5708 times

I think Apple is just anti-town.
My banners:
ImageImageImageImage
boo
Loan Shark

Post by boo »

Okay, in that case yes, iPhone's must just auto-remove that part of the HTML to better fit the screen. That isn't something I can think of how we could change on our end.
Banners
ImageImageImage
ImageImage
You a damn fool.
Sloonei
Cap'n Sloonbeard

Post by Sloonei »

It's mostly not a nuisance in games anyway since most hosts are in the habit of providing ISO links for players + themselves these days. It just requires one extra step of clicking back to the front page any time I want to look at things.

maybe there's a way for us iphone users to change the settings on our end. I doubt it, but you never know
My banners:
ImageImageImageImage
dunya
GOAT Whisperer

Post by dunya »

the solution is switch to a damn android :p we are the superior phone!
nutella
Connoisseur of Spice
Posts in topic: 13

Post by nutella »

Huh, using chrome on Android I still don't see the posts in topic link on mobile. Maybe it's a browser thing rather than an os thing? Like the format on mobile for me just doesn't show any of the stuff that's underneath the username/avatar on desktop (other than the user rank title)
to the spoiler go the victories:
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image ImageImage Image Image Image
Image Image Image Image
Image Image Image Image Image
Image Image
Turnip Head
Root Vegetable

Post by Turnip Head »

[mention]boo[/mention] yes I'm using chrome
boo
Loan Shark

Post by boo »

nutella wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 8:54 pm Huh, using chrome on Android I still don't see the posts in topic link on mobile. Maybe it's a browser thing rather than an os thing? Like the format on mobile for me just doesn't show any of the stuff that's underneath the username/avatar on desktop (other than the user rank title)
It's like that in portrait and landscape?
Banners
ImageImageImage
ImageImage
You a damn fool.
juliets
Dancing Pancake

Post by juliets »

I'll check my android browser tomorrow [mention]boo[/mention], also thank you for the in game post counts!

ImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
nutella
Connoisseur of Spice
Posts in topic: 13

Post by nutella »

boo wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 9:48 pm
nutella wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 8:54 pm Huh, using chrome on Android I still don't see the posts in topic link on mobile. Maybe it's a browser thing rather than an os thing? Like the format on mobile for me just doesn't show any of the stuff that's underneath the username/avatar on desktop (other than the user rank title)
It's like that in portrait and landscape?
Yes, it doesn't change. Just has the buttons on the top right, not any of the left stuff.
to the spoiler go the victories:
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image ImageImage Image Image Image
Image Image Image Image
Image Image Image Image Image
Image Image
boo
Loan Shark

Post by boo »

Huh, in that case... I assume you're all running the black theme? Can you check and see if prosilver looks any better? It's the default phpbb style, and out of the package is supposed to be completely mobile friendly.
Banners
ImageImageImage
ImageImage
You a damn fool.

Return to “Feedback and Technical Requests”