Features & Improvements Suggestion Box

We welcome your feedback on the site and any requests for technical features such as smileys, forum skins, and general improvements or additions you would like to see at The Syndicate.

Moderator: Community Team

nutella
Connoisseur of Spice
Posts in topic: 13
Preferred Pronouns: she/her/hers

Re: Features & Improvements Suggestion Box

Post by nutella »

boo wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 4:45 pm Huh, in that case... I assume you're all running the black theme? Can you check and see if prosilver looks any better? It's the default phpbb style, and out of the package is supposed to be completely mobile friendly.
Nope, still the same layout as I described.
to the spoiler go the victories:
Spoiler: show
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image ImageImage Image Image Image
Image Image Image Image
Image Image Image Image Image
Image Image
boo
Loan Shark
Posts in topic: 40
Preferred Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by boo »

I'm not sure then. Turn it off and on again? :confused: Actually...

A few more options:
1) You could try deleting cookies/site data and cached files. I don't think that'll fix it, but you probably haven't done it in a year or more and you should be doing it at least once every couple months. Please stop abusing your devices.

2) You could switch to viewing the site on the desktop version (I dunno if iPhones have that option, but on an Android in Chrome, in your menu it'll be an option you can tick on and off). Not a great option because it'll maintain that between sites... although it shouldn't between tabs, so you could always keep a dedicated syndicate tab I guess?
Banners
ImageImageImage
ImageImage
You a damn fool.
boo
Loan Shark

Post by boo »

Auto refresh is now live. If you're in a topic, on the last page of it, and there are new posts, a bar underneath the full editor & preview will have 'x number of new posts'. Clicking on that will refresh the page and bring you to the first unread post.

It's currently set to update once every 30 seconds.
Banners
ImageImageImage
ImageImage
You a damn fool.
dunya
GOAT Whisperer
Posts in topic: 22

Post by dunya »

thanks! is there a way to go to last post in a thread when we are on top of the last page without scrolling down for 50 posts in my case lol? i know we have a Top button but is there a ... bottom button? :p
boo
Loan Shark

Post by boo »

dunya wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 6:28 am thanks! is there a way to go to last post in a thread when we are on top of the last page without scrolling down for 50 posts in my case lol? i know we have a Top button but is there a ... bottom button? :p
Not currently, but I think it's just an issue with the style so probably soon.
Banners
ImageImageImage
ImageImage
You a damn fool.
dunya
GOAT Whisperer

Post by dunya »

hey boo, whenever i click on the "new posts" button that refreshes automatically if i have the page open and new posts were made, it takes me back to the first page of the thread instead of the last posts. is that normal?
boo
Loan Shark

Post by boo »

dunya wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 5:12 pm hey boo, whenever i click on the "new posts" button that refreshes automatically if i have the page open and new posts were made, it takes me back to the first page of the thread instead of the last posts. is that normal?
Nope, that shouldn't be happening. Do you sort posts outside of the default way? On mobile or PC? Browser?
Banners
ImageImageImage
ImageImage
You a damn fool.
dunya
GOAT Whisperer

Post by dunya »

boo wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 7:24 pm
dunya wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 5:12 pm hey boo, whenever i click on the "new posts" button that refreshes automatically if i have the page open and new posts were made, it takes me back to the first page of the thread instead of the last posts. is that normal?
Nope, that shouldn't be happening. Do you sort posts outside of the default way? On mobile or PC? Browser?
i don't and it did that on both mobile and pc for me. i only use chrome.

it's not a big deal, just thought it was odd. i'll pay attention and see if im doing something wrong.
dunya
GOAT Whisperer

Post by dunya »

when i hit the multi quote button on mobile (chrome, android) i also don't get the little box that tells me quote x posts.
juliets
Dancing Pancake
Posts in topic: 17
Aka: jules

Post by juliets »

dunya wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 6:39 am when i hit the multi quote button on mobile (chrome, android) i also don't get the little box that tells me quote x posts.
dunya, is the phone in landscape mode?
JaggedJimmyJay wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 3:24 pm Always good to remember that there is no such thing as a Mafia circumstance that is worth real human emotion. Sometimes it will naturally come out, but it can be contained if we just remember that this is a game on a message board forum that 99.99% of the population of the Earth has never heard of before. No matter how successful anyone is, it means just about nothing.

ImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
dunya
GOAT Whisperer

Post by dunya »

yes, i tried it in landscape mode as well and the thing doesn't show up. maybe it's just my phone or something (samsung s7)
dunya
GOAT Whisperer

Post by dunya »

dunya wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 6:38 am

it's not a big deal, just thought it was odd. i'll pay attention and see if im doing something wrong.
nvm, this is working on my laptop now...very weird. didn't test it out on my phone since, but ill do that later lol.
boo
Loan Shark

Post by boo »

dunya wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 10:59 am
dunya wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 6:38 am

nvm, this is working on my laptop now...very weird. didn't test it out on my phone since, but ill do that later lol.
That's good. Only thing I can think of that might cause it is if a poll was deleted and a new one was made that would take you to the first page. Otherwise on standard settings nothing should do that.
Banners
ImageImageImage
ImageImage
You a damn fool.
boo
Loan Shark

Post by boo »

dunya wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 10:35 am yes, i tried it in landscape mode as well and the thing doesn't show up. maybe it's just my phone or something (samsung s7)
nutella mentioned the same problem on an Android (and a couple people on iPhones did to):
boo wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 5:43 pm I'm not sure then. Turn it off and on again? :confused: Actually...

A few more options:
1) You could try deleting cookies/site data and cached files. I don't think that'll fix it, but you probably haven't done it in a year or more and you should be doing it at least once every couple months. Please stop abusing your devices.

2) You could switch to viewing the site on the desktop version (I dunno if iPhones have that option, but on an Android in Chrome, in your menu it'll be an option you can tick on and off). Not a great option because it'll maintain that between sites... although it shouldn't between tabs, so you could always keep a dedicated syndicate tab I guess?
Are my other current thoughts for solutions to try.
Banners
ImageImageImage
ImageImage
You a damn fool.
dunya
GOAT Whisperer

Post by dunya »

boo wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 5:43 pm A few more options:
lmao. no way, clean it out every day. never know when i'll die and people will go through my phone. :p
Sloonei
Cap'n Sloonbeard
Posts in topic: 25
Preferred Pronouns: he/his/him

Post by Sloonei »

Multioquote works fine on mobile for me. The highlight quote thing does not though.
My banners:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Sloonei
Cap'n Sloonbeard

Post by Sloonei »

arrows to instantly scroll to the top/bottom of each page. Nice touch.
My banners:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
boo
Loan Shark

Post by boo »

dunya wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 6:28 am thanks! is there a way to go to last post in a thread when we are on top of the last page without scrolling down for 50 posts in my case lol? i know we have a Top button but is there a ... bottom button? :p
Sloonei wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 3:40 pm arrows to instantly scroll to the top/bottom of each page. Nice touch.
Yea, it's working with the black style now. Should also still work on prosilver.

Like everything else, mobile might be hit or miss.
Banners
ImageImageImage
ImageImage
You a damn fool.
Sloonei
Cap'n Sloonbeard

Post by Sloonei »

works fine on mobile for me
My banners:
ImageImageImageImage
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum
Posts in topic: 4
Preferred Pronouns: any/all
Aka: Tangy

Post by Tangrowth »

boo, you're a lifesaver.
boo
Loan Shark

Post by boo »

M Plus 7 wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 6:55 pm boo, you're a lifesaver.
:noble:
Banners
ImageImageImage
ImageImage
You a damn fool.
dunya
GOAT Whisperer

Post by dunya »

beautiful! <3

and yeah the last post button that takes me to the 1st page of the thread only seems to do that on mobile (chrome). but i don't really care, i'll just not click it lol.
boo
Loan Shark

Post by boo »

dunya wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 9:59 pm beautiful! <3

and yeah the last post button that takes me to the 1st page of the thread only seems to do that on mobile (chrome). but i don't really care, i'll just not click it lol.
Okay. I also noticed it can get confused when posts are piling up. I think it's probably a result of my using opening a quote in a different tab and posting it, which sees all the posts, which confuses it on what my account has and has not read. But it works okay for the most part.
Banners
ImageImageImage
ImageImage
You a damn fool.
JaggedJimmyJay
The Brassiere of The Syndicate
Posts in topic: 21
Preferred Pronouns: He/him/his/himself
Aka: Jay | JJJ | J3 | 3J | jagged | Jimmy | KOFM

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

Just saw the arrows on mobile. Ace. :slick:
Overall: 73-57 (.56) | Town 49-41 (.54) | Mafia 18-11 (.62) | Independent 6-4 (.60)

The Syndicate: Town 23-26; Mafia 10-5; Indy 5-1 | RateYourMusic: Town 14-13; Mafia 5-4; Indy 0-3 | Mafia Universe: Town 6-0; Mafia 1-0 | Student Doctor Network: Town 2-1; Mafia 1-0 | HeroClixRealms: Town 1-0; Mafia 0-1 | Bulbagarden: Mafia 0-1; Indy 1-0 | 2+2 POG: Town 1-0 | Naruto Forums: Town 0-1 | Personality Café: Town 1-0 | Vendetta Strada: Town 0-1 | Mafia451: Town 1-0 | Wintreath: Mafia 1-0

Awards:

The Syndicate

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Student Doctor Network

ImageImageImageImageImage

Rate Your Music

Best Townie, Maffies 4, 8 and 9
Best Scum, Maffies 3
Best Moderator, Maffies 8 and 9
Most Valuable Player, Maffies 7 and 9
Best Roleplay, Maffies 4 and 6
Spirit Award, Maffies 9
Hall of Fame inductee, Maffies 4

Mafia Universe

Mafia Championship Finalist, 2015 and 2020
Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage[-Mass Effect Mafia banner-]ImageImageImageImage
boo
Loan Shark

Post by boo »

Setting your desired posts per page is working again. The default is the same (50ppp), and can be changed in User Control Panel > Board Preferences > Edit display options > Posts per page (you can also change your topics per page).
Banners
ImageImageImage
ImageImage
You a damn fool.
juliets
Dancing Pancake

Post by juliets »

boo wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 6:47 pm Setting your desired posts per page is working again. The default is the same (50ppp), and can be changed in User Control Panel > Board Preferences > Edit display options > Posts per page (you can also change your topics per page).
YES! YES! YES! Thank you so much boo that is AWESOME.
JaggedJimmyJay wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 3:24 pm Always good to remember that there is no such thing as a Mafia circumstance that is worth real human emotion. Sometimes it will naturally come out, but it can be contained if we just remember that this is a game on a message board forum that 99.99% of the population of the Earth has never heard of before. No matter how successful anyone is, it means just about nothing.

ImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
Epignosis
Skeletor
Posts in topic: 8

Post by Epignosis »

Set mine to one.

I like clicking things. :shifty:
Stream my music for free: https://epignosis.bandcamp.com/
juliets
Dancing Pancake

Post by juliets »

[mention]boo[/mention] somehow I just noticed that you put our posts per topic number under our avatars when we're in a game. Thanks so much for doing that. You really are making a difference here.

ImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
boo
Loan Shark

Post by boo »

Yup. It does mostly the same thing as the ISO link, just sorts in the opposite direction.
Banners
ImageImageImage
ImageImage
You a damn fool.
Epignosis
Skeletor

Post by Epignosis »

[mention]boo[/mention]

Can I send you a small tip? I'd like to do that. Let me know how by PM.
Sloonei
Cap'n Sloonbeard

Post by Sloonei »

Mobile display is suddenly the same as desktop display :o

Boo, are you a magician?
My banners:
ImageImageImageImage
boo
Loan Shark

Post by boo »

Haven't made any recent changes. Did you update your phone?
Banners
ImageImageImage
ImageImage
You a damn fool.
Sloonei
Cap'n Sloonbeard

Post by Sloonei »

boo wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 8:27 pm Haven't made any recent changes. Did you update your phone?
No. Weird. Woke up this morning and nothing was different, and then at some point in the mid-afternoon it was like this all of a sudden.
My banners:
ImageImageImageImage
JaggedJimmyJay

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

I know we have encountered this problem in the past, but I cannot recall the fix?

Overall: 73-57 (.56) | Town 49-41 (.54) | Mafia 18-11 (.62) | Independent 6-4 (.60)

The Syndicate: Town 23-26; Mafia 10-5; Indy 5-1 | RateYourMusic: Town 14-13; Mafia 5-4; Indy 0-3 | Mafia Universe: Town 6-0; Mafia 1-0 | Student Doctor Network: Town 2-1; Mafia 1-0 | HeroClixRealms: Town 1-0; Mafia 0-1 | Bulbagarden: Mafia 0-1; Indy 1-0 | 2+2 POG: Town 1-0 | Naruto Forums: Town 0-1 | Personality Café: Town 1-0 | Vendetta Strada: Town 0-1 | Mafia451: Town 1-0 | Wintreath: Mafia 1-0

Awards:

The Syndicate

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Student Doctor Network

Rate Your Music

Best Scum, Maffies 3
Spirit Award, Maffies 9

Mafia Universe

Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage[-Mass Effect Mafia banner-]ImageImageImageImage
Epignosis
Skeletor

Post by Epignosis »

Turn your head to the left? :shrug2:
nutella
Connoisseur of Spice
Posts in topic: 13

Post by nutella »

There's a wideness setting somewhere.
to the spoiler go the victories:
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image ImageImage Image Image Image
Image Image Image Image
Image Image Image Image Image
Image Image
boo
Loan Shark

Post by boo »

nutella wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 10:28 pm There's a wideness setting somewhere.
UCP > Board Preferences > Set forum width

There's also a button at the top left under the header (doesn't show in JJJs screenshot because it wasn't logged in).
Banners
ImageImageImage
ImageImage
You a damn fool.
JaggedJimmyJay

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

Yep some folks updated their width to 1800 to [mostly] help the problem.

Awards:

The Syndicate

Student Doctor Network

Rate Your Music

Best Scum, Maffies 3
Spirit Award, Maffies 9

Mafia Universe

Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

Sloonei
Cap'n Sloonbeard

Post by Sloonei »

Display just changed from Black to Prosilver. I fixed it briefly, but then it switched back and now the option to change it is gone from my UCP entirely.

Edit: I made this post and went back and the option was there again. But it was definitely not there a moment before, and the display has changed twice without me touching it.
My banners:
ImageImageImageImage
boo
Loan Shark

Post by boo »

Sloonei wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 12:50 am Display just changed from Black to Prosilver. I fixed it briefly, but then it switched back and now the option to change it is gone from my UCP entirely.
Yea, that was me. Editing CSS to fix the width problem properly so it can auto-size itself. Black is just a finnicky theme that doesn't want to do it easily.
Banners
ImageImageImage
ImageImage
You a damn fool.
Sloonei
Cap'n Sloonbeard

Post by Sloonei »

boo wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 12:53 am
Sloonei wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 12:50 am Display just changed from Black to Prosilver. I fixed it briefly, but then it switched back and now the option to change it is gone from my UCP entirely.
Yea, that was me. Editing CSS to fix the width problem properly so it can auto-size itself. Black is just a finnicky theme that doesn't want to do it easily.
oh cool. Carry on then. We can deal with momentary brightness.
My banners:
ImageImageImageImage
boo
Loan Shark

Post by boo »

It should now be auto-setting the width correctly. The extension that let people adjust width had to be disabled, as it interferes with things working correctly.
Banners
ImageImageImage
ImageImage
You a damn fool.
Jackofhearts2005
something funny
Posts in topic: 11
Preferred Pronouns: He/His/Him

Post by Jackofhearts2005 »

Is there a way to disable the “mention” prompt when a “@“ symbol is within a quote box?

So here’s me quoting a short post with an @ mention in it.

Once I start typing, it prompts me to mention myself (which I never want to do and I think this generally applies to any @ mentions within quote boxes).

If you hit “return,” (ie try to start a new paragraph) not only does the at mention get inserted into your post, it gets inserted not where the “@playername” bit is but somewhere around where you’re typing, deleting part of the post in the process, in this case, an entire word of the new post as well as a portion of the end quote code.

So when you go to post, it looks like this.

JaggedJimmyJay

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

The temp fix has always been deleting the "@" symbol within the quote. That annoying thing goes away.

A more permanent fix remains elusive.

Awards:

The Syndicate

Student Doctor Network

Rate Your Music

Best Scum, Maffies 3
Spirit Award, Maffies 9

Mafia Universe

Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

boo
Loan Shark

Post by boo »

The extension needs an update, so I'll see if that contains a fix.
Banners
ImageImageImage
ImageImage
You a damn fool.
boo
Loan Shark

Post by boo »

There's a few that do. Plus a few other changes I'm going to try. So there will be some blips with features not being there/not working as expected and possibly a full-on outage of the site briefly, all over the next few hours. Might as well get it all done in one go. Everything should be working as expected for about another hour or two, I have to finish up some stuff I'm currently working on, and then I'll do site stuff.
Banners
ImageImageImage
ImageImage
You a damn fool.
dunya
GOAT Whisperer

Post by dunya »

[mention]boo[/mention] we have a game's day phase ending at 3PM EST just as an fyi. :)
boo
Loan Shark

Post by boo »

Ah, good to know. I'd done a fly-by on running games but didn't see an active poll timer anywhere so thought it was all good. I will leave it until after that then!
Banners
ImageImageImage
ImageImage
You a damn fool.
Jackofhearts2005
something funny
Posts in topic: 11
Preferred Pronouns: He/His/Him

Post by Jackofhearts2005 »

[mention]Jackofhearts2005[/mention]