Mafia Championship Season 5

Kick back and relax at The Lounge, where you can discuss any other matter related to mafia games or The Syndicate. Mafia game strategists, look no further!

Moderator: Community Team

juliets
Dancing Pancake
Posts in topic: 13
Preferred Pronouns: she/her/hers
Aka: jules

Re: Mafia Championship Season 5

Post by juliets »

Jackofhearts2005 wrote: Thu Apr 19, 2018 3:17 pm #Dunyaplay
This ^.
JaggedJimmyJay wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 3:24 pm Always good to remember that there is no such thing as a Mafia circumstance that is worth real human emotion. Sometimes it will naturally come out, but it can be contained if we just remember that this is a game on a message board forum that 99.99% of the population of the Earth has never heard of before. No matter how successful anyone is, it means just about nothing.

Spoiler: show
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum
Posts in topic: 27
Preferred Pronouns: any/all
Aka: Tangy

Post by Tangrowth »

Come on, everyone, send me that PM! Give into peer pressure.
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

Alright, so here's the deal. Two things, just for transparency's sake, especially since we have less than 24 hours to decide now.

1) To date, I have received only 1 PM, and the conditions stated in this PM were that this person only wants to go if literally no one else will do it, so that we avoid having no representation. He/she does not want to in any other circumstance.

2) Also, I have now decided to throw my hat into the ring this year, assuming you all will have me. (I elaborate upon this below, if you want to read my unnecessary musings) :p

I had given this a ton of thought; I also wanted to wait until everyone else had a chance to discuss and volunteer for a bit first and see if anyone really wanted to represent us this year.

I know I've not played much mafia at all the past year or two, and what mafia I have played has been less than ideal MP for the most part, but the championship is something I've really wanted to participate in ever since we first found out about it a few years ago with Season 2. I'm certainly fine with not having participated yet though; we've had players better than me go previously (for good reason) and my PhD-driven schedule has continuously gotten in the way.

I thought I would just defer to next year or some other time, but given my new position and the upcoming stress of tenure, I realized now might be better than ever. I also started thinking about this more when it became apparent that we did not have people really gunning for a spot this time around.

Despite being really busy this summer, I do have a window of opportunity to play this with a solid effort during June. If I become our representative this year, I'll have to restrict my timeframe to June. I have already spoken with Thingyman and he said that would be fine as long as I don't mind less flexibility with cycles (I really don't care, so it works out). My dissertation defense date is June 8th, and although it will be an incredibly busy summer, we don't start moving until July. So although I will be teaching a 5-week summer class and preparing for the move, otherwise I'll have all the time possible in my life to commit to this game.

To sell myself, I think nearly all of you know how I play the game when I have the time to commit. I hope you all would be happy to have me represent us. Or you can tell me I'm fucking insane and I shouldn't do it. That would probably be the more sensible response to me saying all of this.

So all of that said, I want to emphasize that anyone on the fence with this thing should still please consider volunteering. I think we have an incredibly solid group of players here that I would be proud to see represent us instead of me. Although I do want to play this thing, I will very gladly step aside and let someone else eager to represent us do it instead.

You all still have until Saturday morning at 8:00AM Eastern time to let me know.
juliets
Dancing Pancake

Post by juliets »

MP, what would you do about the semi-final and finals should you get in (and I have no doubt you would)? It seems that those are after June. I think you deserve a crack at it if you really want to if the timing works for you.
JaggedJimmyJay wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 3:24 pm Always good to remember that there is no such thing as a Mafia circumstance that is worth real human emotion. Sometimes it will naturally come out, but it can be contained if we just remember that this is a game on a message board forum that 99.99% of the population of the Earth has never heard of before. No matter how successful anyone is, it means just about nothing.

ImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
dunya
GOAT Whisperer
Posts in topic: 8

Post by dunya »

I will be MP's replacement if he wants/needs me and support his run to represent the Syndicate this year!
Sloonei
Cap'n Sloonbeard
Posts in topic: 7
Preferred Pronouns: he/his/him

Post by Sloonei »

I nominate MP.
My banners:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
juliets
Dancing Pancake

Post by juliets »

dunya wrote: Fri Apr 20, 2018 12:13 pm I will be MP's replacement if he wants/needs me and support his run to represent the Syndicate this year!
Well that settles it then in my mind.

ImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
Jackofhearts2005
something funny
Posts in topic: 18
Preferred Pronouns: He/His/Him

Post by Jackofhearts2005 »

Horay for MP!

Now who’s gonna play for HCRealms and RYM?

I nominate Jimmy and Dunya. :p
juliets
Dancing Pancake

Post by juliets »

Jackofhearts2005 wrote: Fri Apr 20, 2018 1:40 pm Horay for MP!

But dunya is MPs replacement...

ImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
Jackofhearts2005
something funny

juliets wrote: Fri Apr 20, 2018 1:47 pm

But dunya is MPs replacement...
#everyoneplay
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

juliets wrote: Fri Apr 20, 2018 12:01 pm MP, what would you do about the semi-final and finals should you get in (and I have no doubt you would)? It seems that those are after June. I think you deserve a crack at it if you really want to if the timing works for you.
So I've thought about that too. Both of them would be perhaps tough, but maybe doable. If I am the rep and do manage to make them and cannot attend, dunya graciously offered to be my sub.

The wild card game (July) would be the toughest option; other than travelling at the beginning of the month (from TX) and ending (to CA), I will be in North Carolina for a wedding and in Ohio visiting friends and family in between moving. I could maybe justify a mid-July game there since I could have the time, but it'd have to be a wait-and-see situation to a degree to see how busy I am at that time as to whether I could do it or I would sub.

The finals game (Aug-Sept) would probably be more doable even if I won't be playing at full capacity, though it will inevitably be dependent on how I've settled into my job and how busy I am in my first month of the Assistant Prof. job. It'll be tough to say for sure until Aug. 18 or so when I actually start teaching and researching full-time at CSUF.
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

So all of that to say, I need to either suck and not make it or kick so much ass so I can just do the finals game. :p
dunya
GOAT Whisperer

Post by dunya »

K I'll do it if Jay does it. :keys:
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

dunya wrote: Fri Apr 20, 2018 3:32 pm

How amazing would that be to have us three in the Finals game? :slick:
juliets
Dancing Pancake

Post by juliets »

Wait - [mention]dunya[/mention] MP just got finished saying you were his back up for the Syndicate.

ImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
speedchuck
Knight of No Renown
Posts in topic: 5

Post by speedchuck »

Good luck MP!
SIGNATURE:
Speedchuck wins the "Jack Torrance Has Always Been The Caretaker" award.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImage
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

Well, guess it is going to be me officially now. Shout out to [mention]dunya[/mention] for being my backup. I'll go spread the word to Thingyman.

I suppose you all aren't too embarrassed of me or else there would have been a last-minute effort to nominate anyone other than me. :p

I'll try my best to make you all proud. :noble:
Quin
Indecent Bastard
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Quin »

good luck MP! :beer:
Lunalee wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 9:13 amQuin's ISO is full of posts that are actually trying to be helpful to the game. This doesn't look like town Quin.
ImageImageImageImage
juliets
Dancing Pancake

Post by juliets »

MP and dunya I will be spectating rooting for whichever of you is playing. I'm very happy with this result.

ImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
dunya
GOAT Whisperer

Post by dunya »

juliets wrote: Fri Apr 20, 2018 5:45 pm

Wait - @dunya MP just got finished saying you were his back up for the Syndicate.
yeah I was just teasing. I know Jay is too busy with school. ;)

Good luck MP!
juliets
Dancing Pancake

Post by juliets »

MP please keep us posted as to when you will play and the link to the game!

ImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

juliets wrote: Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:29 am MP please keep us posted as to when you will play and the link to the game!
You bet!
Dyslexicon
<3
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Dyslexicon »

Oh cool! I will definitely be cheering you on, MP! <3
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

Dyslexicon wrote: Sun Apr 29, 2018 6:20 pm Oh cool! I will definitely be cheering you on, MP! <3
Thanks, Dizzy! :D
Jackofhearts2005
something funny

So I’m playing, too, now.
JaggedJimmyJay
The Brassiere of The Syndicate
Posts in topic: 12
Preferred Pronouns: He/him/his/himself
Aka: Jay | JJJ | J3 | 3J | jagged | Jimmy | KOFM

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

Jackattack
Overall: 73-57 (.56) | Town 49-41 (.54) | Mafia 18-11 (.62) | Independent 6-4 (.60)

The Syndicate: Town 23-26; Mafia 10-5; Indy 5-1 | RateYourMusic: Town 14-13; Mafia 5-4; Indy 0-3 | Mafia Universe: Town 6-0; Mafia 1-0 | Student Doctor Network: Town 2-1; Mafia 1-0 | HeroClixRealms: Town 1-0; Mafia 0-1 | Bulbagarden: Mafia 0-1; Indy 1-0 | 2+2 POG: Town 1-0 | Naruto Forums: Town 0-1 | Personality Café: Town 1-0 | Vendetta Strada: Town 0-1 | Mafia451: Town 1-0 | Wintreath: Mafia 1-0

Awards:

The Syndicate

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Student Doctor Network

ImageImageImageImageImage

Rate Your Music

Best Townie, Maffies 4, 8 and 9
Best Scum, Maffies 3
Best Moderator, Maffies 8 and 9
Most Valuable Player, Maffies 7 and 9
Best Roleplay, Maffies 4 and 6
Spirit Award, Maffies 9
Hall of Fame inductee, Maffies 4

Mafia Universe

Mafia Championship Finalist, 2015 and 2020
Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage[-Mass Effect Mafia banner-]ImageImageImageImage
juliets
Dancing Pancake

Post by juliets »

Thats cool Jack! What site are you playing for? And would you let us know what game you're in?

ImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
Jackofhearts2005
something funny

HCRealms. I tried to push for Bob, Tony, Nifty, Mal and Roy to play but nobody else was interested. :shrug:

I’ll let ya’ll know. Probably one of the later games cause stuff is real busy right now.
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

Good luck, Jack!

If you're in one of the late games, then maybe we'll even get to play together. :mafia:
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

So, thankfully, it turns out I'm in the exact timeframe that works best for me: Game 9, which starts on June 11th. Phases are 36/12. Here is the player list. Wish me luck!
Sloonei
Cap'n Sloonbeard

Post by Sloonei »

I am hyped. Go full dog pee on them.
My banners:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
Jackofhearts2005
something funny

I’ll be in game 7, starting 6/24
Jackofhearts2005
something funny

I’ll be in game 7, starting 6/4, not 6/24
JaggedJimmyJay

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

You'll see one another in the finals. :noble:
Overall: 73-57 (.56) | Town 49-41 (.54) | Mafia 18-11 (.62) | Independent 6-4 (.60)

The Syndicate: Town 23-26; Mafia 10-5; Indy 5-1 | RateYourMusic: Town 14-13; Mafia 5-4; Indy 0-3 | Mafia Universe: Town 6-0; Mafia 1-0 | Student Doctor Network: Town 2-1; Mafia 1-0 | HeroClixRealms: Town 1-0; Mafia 0-1 | Bulbagarden: Mafia 0-1; Indy 1-0 | 2+2 POG: Town 1-0 | Naruto Forums: Town 0-1 | Personality Café: Town 1-0 | Vendetta Strada: Town 0-1 | Mafia451: Town 1-0 | Wintreath: Mafia 1-0

Awards:

The Syndicate

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Student Doctor Network

Rate Your Music

Best Scum, Maffies 3
Spirit Award, Maffies 9

Mafia Universe

Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage[-Mass Effect Mafia banner-]ImageImageImageImage
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

Jackofhearts2005 wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 2:53 pm I’ll be in game 7, starting 6/4, not 6/24
Best of luck!
Jackofhearts2005
something funny

M Plus 7 wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 3:16 pm
Jackofhearts2005 wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 2:53 pm I’ll be in game 7, starting 6/4, not 6/24
Best of luck!
You, too. I’ll need it more based on my past several games playing the role of confident but ultimately clueless townie. :p
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

Jackofhearts2005 wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 3:28 pm
M Plus 7 wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 3:16 pm
Best of luck!
You, too. I’ll need it more based on my past several games playing the role of confident but ultimately clueless townie. :p
Well, I can relate with that. :p

I'm sure you'll kill it. I'll be sure to spectate some of your game if I can and root you on. :beer:
juliets
Dancing Pancake

Post by juliets »

Jack and MP please please post a link here to your games

ImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

juliets wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 4:01 pm Jack and MP please please post a link here to your games
I'll be sure to do that once mine starts.

I want to give a general reminder to you all though not to post anything regarding the game in here or anywhere else that I or anyone from the game could see. Perhaps in advance of the game, I could have a spectator area established here. That's something Daisy could easily set up I'm sure.
juliets
Dancing Pancake

Post by juliets »

M Plus 7 wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 4:06 pm
juliets wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 4:01 pm Jack and MP please please post a link here to your games
I'll be sure to do that once mine starts.

I want to give a general reminder to you all though not to post anything regarding the game in here or anywhere else that I or anyone from the game could see. Perhaps in advance of the game, I could have a spectator area established here. That's something Daisy could easily set up I'm sure.
There's also a spectator area on the Mafia Universe Discord server. I'll post the link to that too once the game is about to start. It wouldn't hurt to have our own too.

ImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

Cool, thanks juliets! Sounds like a plan.
Sloonei
Cap'n Sloonbeard

Post by Sloonei »

This time I very much want you to win.
My banners:
ImageImageImageImage
Jackofhearts2005
something funny

Game starts tomorrow and I’m dead in every other game. :p
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

Jackofhearts2005 wrote: Sun Jun 03, 2018 12:10 pm Game starts tomorrow and I’m dead in every other game. :p
You got this. Good luck! :D
JaggedJimmyJay

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

Jackofhearts2005 wrote: Sun Jun 03, 2018 12:10 pm Game starts tomorrow and I’m dead in every other game. :p
No mercy. No nice. No meme. Only domination.

Awards:

The Syndicate

Student Doctor Network

Rate Your Music

Best Scum, Maffies 3
Spirit Award, Maffies 9

Mafia Universe

Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

Jackofhearts2005
something funny

My game is about to start.

https://www.mafiauniverse.com/forums/th ... ost2387373

My alignment is
something I’m not allowed to tell you. :noble:
JaggedJimmyJay

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

[mention]Marmot[/mention]
[mention]M Plus 7[/mention]
[mention]Spacedaisy[/mention]

Would any of y'all be able to render this thread invisible to Jack and MP? It'd be the obvious spectator location, but that cannot begin while they can see the thread. I know I have the power to do it, but I haven't a clue how. :goofp:

Awards:

The Syndicate

Student Doctor Network

Rate Your Music

Best Scum, Maffies 3
Spirit Award, Maffies 9

Mafia Universe

Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

Jackofhearts2005
something funny

I promise not to look if you can’t.

Like starting now.
Tangrowth
Don Emeritum

Post by Tangrowth »

JaggedJimmyJay wrote: Tue Jun 05, 2018 1:30 pm @Marmot
@M Plus 7
@Spacedaisy

Would any of y'all be able to render this thread invisible to Jack and MP? It'd be the obvious spectator location, but that cannot begin while they can see the thread. I know I have the power to do it, but I haven't a clue how. :goofp:
We could either throw this thread or create a new one into a subforum which could render it invisible. I believe the MU discord has a spectator chat as well.
JaggedJimmyJay

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

M Plus 7 wrote: Tue Jun 05, 2018 3:16 pmI believe the MU discord has a spectator chat as well.
Too many people. :p

Awards:

The Syndicate

Student Doctor Network

Rate Your Music

Best Scum, Maffies 3
Spirit Award, Maffies 9

Mafia Universe

Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

Return to “The Lounge”