ruining music you love

Take a walk in Tin Pan Alley, the area's most famous music district.

Moderator: Community Team

dunya
GOAT Whisperer
Posts in topic: 2

ruining music you love

Post by dunya »

i tried to listen to correine bailey rae's self-titled the other day and it literally gave me acid/stomach pains and made me feel entirely uncomfortable. i feel like i was associating it with negative memories and probably a bad phase, though i couldn't pinpoint exactly what they were. i am extremely bummed about this since it is one of my all time favorite albums from my teens throughout my early 20s. i believe i have struggled with finishing ssfdl in the same way, though less extreme in the reaction but i still can't seem to finish it all in one sitting without feeling down.

realization i've managed to ruin my favorite albums makes me sad. anyone else experienced anything like this? does it go away?
nutella
Connoisseur of Spice
Posts in topic: 3
Preferred Pronouns: she/her/hers

Re: ruining music you love

Post by nutella »

I can't think of any specific examples right off the bat but I'm pretty sure I've had similar experiences with forming negative associations with music/other media etc. It might be tough for a while but it'll probably fade over time, especially if you try to make different/more positive associations but it might also be better to wait a little bit before trying again (definitely with music I often have newfound appreciation for something I haven't listened to in a long time)
to the spoiler go the victories:
Spoiler: show
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image ImageImage Image Image Image
Image Image Image Image
Image Image Image Image Image
Image Image
nutella
Connoisseur of Spice

Post by nutella »

Mmmm actually I can think of a few examples of music that I associate with a particularly sad event or difficult memory because of when I remember listening to them, so yeah it's hard to erase that kind of association but if you can spin it into a more positive feeling somehow or focus on appreciating the music itself it can be at least bittersweet/more balanced maybe. Though in your case it sounds like you're not sure exactly what the memory/association is which is a little different. :shrug:
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image ImageImage Image Image Image
Image Image Image Image
Image Image
juliets
Dancing Pancake
Aka: jules

Post by juliets »

dunya wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 2:35 pm i tried to listen to correine bailey rae's self-titled the other day and it literally gave me acid/stomach pains and made me feel entirely uncomfortable. i feel like i was associating it with negative memories and probably a bad phase, though i couldn't pinpoint exactly what they were. i am extremely bummed about this since it is one of my all time favorite albums from my teens throughout my early 20s. i believe i have struggled with finishing ssfdl in the same way, though less extreme in the reaction but i still can't seem to finish it all in one sitting without feeling down.

realization i've managed to ruin my favorite albums makes me sad. anyone else experienced anything like this? does it go away?
Yes there are several albums that were favorites but I can no longer listen to them because of the associated memories. It hasn't faded for me, but nutella's experience is that is does so that's good.
JaggedJimmyJay wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 3:24 pm Always good to remember that there is no such thing as a Mafia circumstance that is worth real human emotion. Sometimes it will naturally come out, but it can be contained if we just remember that this is a game on a message board forum that 99.99% of the population of the Earth has never heard of before. No matter how successful anyone is, it means just about nothing.

ImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
Epignosis
Skeletor
Posts in topic: 6

Post by Epignosis »

Music naturally is tied to moments in ones' life. That is an incredible area in which an artist has no control over his or her audience's perception or reception of the work.

I love this, because music serves as an index to my life.

And that index grows daily.

After a twelve-hour road-trip today, there is one song I'll never look at the same way again. It will always transport me back to that trip.

Do sad associations ruin pieces for me?

No.

It only enhances them and gives them a richer, more personal meaning.
Stream my music for free: https://epignosis.bandcamp.com/
Turnip Head
Root Vegetable
Preferred Pronouns: they/their

Post by Turnip Head »

I listen to music on shuffle 95% of the time, I let the song find me. Sometimes a song I have a strong personal attachment to will start playing, but the mood is all wrong or I've heard it recently, so I'll skip it. Then it comes back later at a much better time.
Turnip Head
Root Vegetable

Post by Turnip Head »

Imo, if YOURmusics no longer doing it for ya, that just means there's other songs that will be even better for you in the present :mafia:
Epignosis
Skeletor

Post by Epignosis »

Does anybody listen to albums anymore?
Turnip Head
Root Vegetable

Post by Turnip Head »

I do, just more occasionally and less often than I used to.

Also if a new album comes out from an artist I like, I'll slap it onto a big playlist and later get surprise bitchslapped by an incredible song I've never heard
Epignosis
Skeletor

Post by Epignosis »

A lot of my experiences are tied with entire albums, so mere songs don't mean as much. Sometimes they do, but I'm an album-oriented person, I suppose.
nutella
Connoisseur of Spice

Post by nutella »

Yeah I have several experiences/general periods of time tied to entire albums as well.
Image Image Image Image
Image Image
ColinIsCool
Hitman
Posts in topic: 1

Post by ColinIsCool »

This happens to me mostly with break-ups but then I get my shit right and I can stand to listen to Fleetwood Mac - Landslide again

It’s not the same on the other hand I do have a lot less interest in hearing Brand New after all the stuff about Jesse Lacey grooming teenagers came out. I don’t think separating art from the artist necessarily matters — it’s what this stuff means to me, not him, that makes it important — but it’s hard to be enthusiastic about it after all that nonetheless.
dunya
GOAT Whisperer

Post by dunya »

i can listen to corinne bailey rae's self titled again.

self healing has successfully happened somewhere along the way.
Rej
Corrupt Union Official

Post by Rej »

I love music from Lil Peep and whenever I hear him I become super fragile to depression. Sometimes more sometimes less. Sometimes it helps as I can associate with it.
But I went from "spamming his tracks" to "casual lsitening sometimes" and I guess I can grow old with it.
ImageImageImageImage
juliets
Dancing Pancake
Aka: jules

Post by juliets »

Rej wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 2:02 pm I love music from Lil Peep and whenever I hear him I become super fragile to depression. Sometimes more sometimes less. Sometimes it helps as I can associate with it.
But I went from "spamming his tracks" to "casual lsitening sometimes" and I guess I can grow old with it.
Rej, it sounds like you are better off only occasionally listening to him. I have music that takes me back to a time and place where things weren't so good and I just can't listen to it without feeling bad. I can't even really casual listen. There is so much music that would make you feel good why bother with music that doesn't :guitar:
JaggedJimmyJay wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 3:24 pm Always good to remember that there is no such thing as a Mafia circumstance that is worth real human emotion. Sometimes it will naturally come out, but it can be contained if we just remember that this is a game on a message board forum that 99.99% of the population of the Earth has never heard of before. No matter how successful anyone is, it means just about nothing.

ImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
Epignosis
Skeletor

Post by Epignosis »

I just looked up a picture of "Lil Peep" and I got depressed.
Rej
Corrupt Union Official

Post by Rej »

@Epignosis sry bro

@juliets oh tho its not only him. Chester Beddington and Avicii are the same category. But I listen too much of crossover so my rotation is quite big. Sometimes i dont listen to for 2 months. But then it catches up again for a while lol.
ImageImageImageImage
Epignosis
Skeletor

Post by Epignosis »

All of those people you named are deceased. Could that be part of the issue for you?
Epignosis
Skeletor

Post by Epignosis »

Epignosis wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:08 am All of those people you named are deceased and died at a young age. Could that be part of the issue for you?
A Person
Loan Shark
Posts in topic: 1

Post by A Person »

Epignosis wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 8:53 pm I just looked up a picture of "Lil Peep" and I got depressed.
Aw. I really appreciate lil peep for living as authentically as he perceived it. I'm not sure if I would ever get the tattoos he had, but I can respect it.

Still, love the dude's music though. Great stuff.

Return to “Tin Pan Alley”