Who wants to get into some Rugby League?

This is the place to discuss sports and play fantasy sports.

Moderator: Community Team

MacDougall
Out of my scumrange
Posts in topic: 1

Who wants to get into some Rugby League?

Post by MacDougall »

For all you NFL fans out there, the Australian NRL season begins in Earnest in a few weeks time and I figured now would be a good time to acclimate all of you non rugby or rugby league folks into my favourite sport.

Rugby League is different to the Rugby that is played in North America more commonly at colleges etc. It's similar enough for those who know of Rugby Union to not need an explanation but for those who aren't I'll try my best to give you an explanation.

The game as best I can describe:
Spoiler: show
In Rugby League (NRL) there are 17 players per team, 13 of which begin on the field with 4 players serving as interchange/replacements. The primary function of these players is to offer relief to players who tire, generally the larger forwards who absorb most of the games collisions in a view to moving up and down the field. Unlike NFL, all 17 players play both offense and defense. The objective, like NFL, is to get the ball over the opposing teams goal line though they also need to put the ball on the ground. Like NFL the team is then given a kick (from a tee) over the goal posts for extra points though in Rugby League the positioning of the goal is in line with where the try is scored, meaning goals often need to be kicked wider out towards or even right on the sideline. Tries are worth 4 points and goals are worth 2. Goal kickers can be any player but they are most often skilled backs (halfbacks, fullbacks and five-eights). A forward that kicks goals is very rare these days. Field goals are also quite common in Rugby League and are worth 1 point. They are scored by a player drop kicking the ball over the posts during play.

The field is 100 metres goalline to goalline and regulation in-goal areas (endzones) are 10 metres. The field is roughly 50 metres wide (I think).

The game begins with a coin toss to determine who kicks off and who runs towards which end of the field. Once the kick off is completed, the receiving team will then have 6 tackles (downs) to get the ball as far down the field or better still into the endzone for a try. Most "sets of six" end before the final tackle with a kick (similar concept to a punt) down the field to the opposing team in an attempt to gain field position. The situation then reverses and the other team has an opportunity to do the same, with the same players acting as defenders.

Once each tackle is completed, the player who is tackled "plays the ball" by placing it on the ground and rolling it backwards with their foot to a player standing behind them, the "dummy half" (who is usually the same player, the hooker that wears the 9 jersey). That player will then choose the option from there. Passes must be made backwards out of the hands. A forward pass results in the opposition being given the ball with a scrum restart. A scrum is ... weird. In the past it was a rather competitive event where a player puts the ball in the middle of each team's larger players (the forwards) who chain themselves together in roughly the shape of a v and then bend over, connect to the other teams forward pack in a similar shape and then push against each other with the stronger team receiving the ball. These days though they pretty much just phone it in and the player who "feeds the scrum" just rolls it straight in and out the back. It's quite a farce, ignore it. Scrums are trigger by knock ons (dropping the ball forwards, forward passes and by the ball going over the sideline.

Generally watching a game you will see the dummy half pass to large forwards who will run hard into the opposing team and attempt to play the ball as fast as possible to repeat that in an attempt to gain an advantage by forcing the defenders to retreat and break their line. Once this occurs the ball will be passed wider to the faster backs who will then attempt to take advantage of this with agility and passing skill. Of course sometimes forwards run straight over other players and sometimes backs come in the middle of the field and try to use their own skills to break the line and get over for a try.

The on field positions are as follows:

1 - Fullback - The player is often the most athletic and fit player in an NRL team and more recently also acts as a secondary playmaker (Quarterback) on offense. They are called on to finish set plays for tries (touchdowns), and are often also required to pass and kick the ball though not as frequently as the five-eighth or halfback. In defense they stand behind the line and act as the last line of defense when someone breaks the line, and communicate to the defensive line (other 12 players) to ensure the defensive line is sound and there are no glaring gaps for the attacking team to run through. They also field kicks and subsequently are the most common producer of kick returns. Some great fullbacks include Billy Slater, James Tedesco and Jarryd Hayne.

2 and 5 - Winger - These players play on the edge of the field on both sides. They aren't usually required to be skilled passers or kickers but are generally fast and often also large. They are also generally athletic and the best of them create some excellent highlights by catching kicks for tries or contorting their bodies to get the ball on the ground over the line. In defense they are the least important player though they also field kicks that are kicked to the edge of the field and also are important kick returners. Wingers these days are also expected to act as forwards during the early tackles of a set as they are already back when the kick is made, while the forwards are still retreating to get behind the play and do their "hit ups". In the modern era some of the best wingers include Josh Mansour, Jordan Rapana and Blake Ferguson.

3 and 4 - Centre - These players stand one in from the winger. They are called centres because they are the centre of backline plays traditionally though it's probably not the best name for them these days (old hat). They are generally required to be the most versatile players, fast, strong and they are important defenders as this section of the field is the most attacked by the opposing skilled players. Some centres also possess good short attacking kicking games. They are often the last to pass to a winger when the attacking motion causes an overlap so they need to be deft passers of the ball too. Some great centres include Mark Gasnier, Steve Renouf and Jamie Lyon.

6 - Five eighth - These players are a second playmaker who often will act as more of a running playmaker to the halfbacks passing/kicking playmaker, though the best five-eights can do all three well. They usually receive the ball second from the play the ball during backline movements though some teams favour having left and right sided halves that both act as first receivers. Some of the greatest players of all time are five-eighths (Wally Lewis, Darren Lockyer, Brad Fittler). In defence they will usually defend on the inside of the centre on one side of the field, with the halfback on the other side.

7 - Halfback - These players are the primary playmaker and the most similar to a QB. They act as the first receiver during set plays and call most of the plays on the field. They are generally the primary field position kicker and the most likely to be goal kickers. Some all time great halfbacks include Andrew Johns, Jonathan Thurston (though he played 7 and 6), Ricky Stuart, Allan Langer and Peter Sterling.

8 and 10 - Prop - These are generally the largest, strongest and meanest players on the field. Their role is to run through the centre of the field into the opposition props to try to gain field position (and of course the opposite).

9 - Hooker - Hookers are usually the person in charge of picking the ball up on the play the ball and issuing the first pass. As such they are in many ways even more important of a playmaker than the halves, though less flashy, usually being relied on to send the ball to the right person at the right time. Great hookers also possess great kicking games. Cameron Smith is considered the best currently playing and has a case for being the best ever.

11 an 12 - Second Row - Second rowers are arguably the most athletic players on the field. They need to be big AND strong and are most like tight ends and linebackers. They are required to make loads of tackles and are usually the best at it. Great second rowers will also be great try scorers (Steve Menzies). They defend on the inside of one of the 6 or 7 next to the prop.

13 - Lock - This is a versatile position that can change depending on the game plan of the team. These days most locks are fitter props who are interchanged less but generally play the same role. Sometimes they play more like a larger, more strong half and some good locks can also kick though this is rare these days. Jason Taumalolo is the best lock in the world.

The Teams

There is a great Reddit post that should help you choose a team.

I support the Wests Tigers. They are ... the suck. If you want to get in on the ground floor by all means help me root for the losingest team in the NRL.

The current premiers are the Sydney Roosters who just buy the best players and hoard them.

Anyway now that I have gone to this effort you are all obliged to pick a team and follow the NRL this season. Thx.
ColinIsCool
Hitman

Re: Who wants to get into some Rugby League?

Post by ColinIsCool »

I pledge fealty to your team, Mac. I may never watch a game, but you have my unwavering support.
dunya
GOAT Whisperer

Post by dunya »

ya'll can watch all the games here: https://www.vipleague.bz/

it's my go-to sports streaming website, i can watch every game no matter how big or small, in lovely HD and no lagging :p

i promise to try out some games, macd!
S~V~S
Captain Obvious

Post by S~V~S »

What's the difference between St George Dragons and St George Illawarra Dragons?
Skip softly, my moonbeams, for I have heard tell
That the stairs up to heaven lead straight down to hell

Return to “The Sports Bar”