Fantasy Movie League - Season 2!!! Signups

Explore Tinsel Town and discuss your favorite TV shows and movies.

Moderator: Community Team

Can you beat the reigning champ? (who was that, again?)

Yes, I'm in to try
91%
No, I know I'm overmatched
9%

Total votes: 11
timmer
Racketeer
Posts in topic: 13

Fantasy Movie League - Season 2!!! Signups

Post by timmer »

Season 1 is in the dust, riding off into the sunset with a Favourite Green Book full of Vice....

Who will win Season 2? Are you in? The draft will start April 1st.

The rules:
Spoiler: show
Each studio head will draft a roster of 5 films and 10 actors to compete with for the season. Just like real world studios, your hope is that the films and actors you own the rights to will earn lots of money and win all the awards.

Film selections will perform as an umbrella pick, earning points based on the money and awards that the film is responsible for as a whole (including directing, writing, acting, crafts, etc.).

Actor selections will perform as an individual pick, earning points based on the money and awards they receive for their roles in all their films that open during box office season play (regardless of whether or not another studio owns the rights to the film). An actor selection who is also a director or writer only earns points as an actor. For example, in 2014, Angelina Jolie as an actor pick was eligible for Maleficent, but not Unbroken. Angelina Jolie as a director earned points for the studio that owned Unbroken as a film pick.

Each film and actor can only be owned by one studio.

Draft begins April 1 and will conclude before the end of the month. The draft is your first chance to acquire films and actors that you'll own throughout the year--unless, of course, you drop your rights to them. The order of the draft will be determined at random and follow a snake pattern. In a snake draft the first to choose in round 1 becomes the last to choose in round 2 and the first again in round 3. Each studio will fill all of their film slots before selecting actors.

While the draft is in progress, no changes to your picks are allowed. If you make a selection it is locked as soon as you submit--no edits. However, once the draft is complete and all studios have a full roster, studio heads can begin dropping and adding selections as they see fit up until Dec. 31, 2018, as long as the film has not had an official North American opening yet. Once a film or film that an actor is in has had its theatrical box office/streaming premiere in the US, limited or otherwise, that film and/or actor selection becomes permanently locked to that studio roster for the season.

To note: This is an annual game. Next season, any returning studios will allowed one contract pick before the start of the draft. A contract pick is an actor that the studio owned in the previous season and wishes to bring along for a consecutive season without the threat of another studio drafting him or her. If retained, your contract pick is an automatic first round actor pick in the draft, meaning you’ll make your first new pick on your turn in the second round. This could factor into whether or not you draft someone this season, knowing what they have in the pipeline for next season.

League Structure:

Round 1: Box Office Regular Season

The box office round runs from May 1, 2019 to December 31, 2019, making any film with a US opening, limited or otherwise, in that time frame eligible to be drafted & earn points, as well as the actors that appear in them. Box office earnings is for US totals only, not international. Limited/awards qualifying openings count, even if no official box office earnings are reported. Films with openings before or after the season cut-offs are ineligible to compete (in any capacity) in the league. For example, in 2017, Logan could not be drafted by a studio. Hugh Jackman could be drafted by a studio, but his role in Logan was ineligible because it opened before the start of the league. His role in The Greatest Showman was eligible though because that opened in the window.

Festival screenings/premieres do not qualify as official openings. For example, any film that showed at Sundance or Berlin is available for draft, unless of course they have their theatrical run begin before May or after December.

Films without official release dates set are eligible to be drafted. If they never get their release date, they can be dropped and replaced as the owner sees fit. Similarly, films without official titles can be drafted, so long as it is clear which work-in-progress film is being drafted.

Film selections will earn points based on the total box office earnings of that film, represented as one full point for every million dollars earned and down to the fraction of one thousand dollars.

2016 example:
- Finding Dory earned $486,295,000 by Dec. 31, 2016 for 486.295 points
- Billy Lynn’s Long Halftime Walk earned $1,738,000 by Dec. 31, 2016 for 1.738 points

Actor selections will earn points based on a percentage of the total box office earnings for each film they’re in. The total box office for each film will be divided evenly by all league actors that appear in the film (in any capacity—credited or uncredited) validated by being listed on the film’s IMDB page. Totals of films starring only one league actor will be divided by 2 (not 1).

2016 example:
- Finding Dory had 4 league actors, each earned 1/4 of the film’s points for 121.57 each
- Billy Lynn’s Long Halftime Walk had 2 league actors, earning 1/2 of the points for .869 each

Rounds 2 through 6: Awards Playoffs

At the end of the regular season on Dec. 31, 2019, box office tallies will be finalized and only the top X grossing studios will advance while the X lowest grossing studios will be eliminated.

In this postseason phase of the league, the focus of your studio now turns to how well your films and actors perform at a select number of awards shows. In each round, studios will compete for the highest number of nominations and wins at five different shows. The order of rounds is determined by their air date—I expect that round 2 will be the Golden Globes, round 3 Critics Choice, round 4 a collection of all the guild awards, round 5 BAFTA and the final/round 6 is the Oscars. At the end of each round the lowest scoring studios will be eliminated from play with only the final X competing at the Oscars.

Earning awards points:
Your film and actor picks earn you points in the following ways during awards play:

- Nomination: 1 point each (films earn 1 point for every nomination in any category, actors earn 1 point for every nomination they specifically earn, but not for ones their film earns)
- Best Film win: 10 points (film selections only; for the Golden Globes, 10 points will be given to the two films that win Drama and Comedy/Musical); if a studio owns a doc, foreign or animated film they only earn 10 points for BP-equivalent wins, not their genre-specific categories (that counts as "All other categories" below)
- Actor win: 5 points to actor selections, 2 points to film selections (lead and supporting, and only 2 points to an actor and film when part of the SAG ensemble win)
- Director win: 5 points (film selections only)
- Screenplay win: 5 points (film selections only)
- All other categories: 2 points (film selections only)

In the case of a tie during any round, a winner must be determined between the tying studios. To settle this, the points each studio acquired in nominations will be removed. That means which ever studio earned the most points based solely on wins will advance. If this process does not determine a winner then a hierarchy of wins will be established, where a studio with the rights to the winning film in this succession of categories will move on: Best Film, Best Director, Best Screenplay (Original then Adapted), Best Lead Actress then Actor, Best Supporting Actress then Actor, Animated, Foreign, Documentary, Score, Cinematography, Editing, Song, Production Design, Costumes, Makeup, Sound Editing, Sound Mixing. (Note that the hierarchy is for film rights, not actor rights.)

Elimination Chart:

Round 1 (Box Office):
Top 1 advances to Round 3 (if we have enough players)
Middle X advance to Round 2
Bottom X eliminated

Round 2 (Golden Globes):
Top X advance to Round 3
Bottom X eliminated

Round 3 (Critics Choice):
Top X advance to Round 4
Bottom X eliminated

Round 4 (BAFTA):
Top X advance to Round 5
Bottom X eliminated

Round 5 (Guilds):
Top X advance to Round 6
Bottom X eliminated

Round 6 (Oscars):
Top 1 wins

General Advice on Strategy:

There are really two things you need to focus on when drafting for your studios--money and awards. Selecting box office juggernauts is going to secure your spot in round 2. This is a good thing. You can’t win the league without making it beyond box office.

But once you enter the playoffs your box office won’t matter so you’ll want to keep in mind that in order to make it through the playoffs you’ll need to own some awards contenders as well. As an example, the top 5 grossing films drafted into our 2017 league (that debuted from May to Dec.) were: Star Wars: The Last Jedi, Wonder Woman, Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2, Spider-Man: Homecoming and It —few of which were major awards contenders, but the owners of each of those films did make it to the playoffs.

The hardest rounds to navigate are box office and the Golden Globes. Box office because not all big money films secure you enough awards capital to matter in the later rounds. The studios that owned Darkest Hour and The Post last year were eliminated in box office. Golden Globes because there are so few categories to compete for. Nominations here are important or you'll drop out.

The best and clearest advice is to have a mix of blockbusters and awards fare—for every Marvel film you pick, add a Call Me by Your Name. Or pick an actor that excels in both arenas, like Woody Harrelson who banked money from War for the Planet of the Apes and awards for Three Billboards. Additionally, you’ll want to keep a close eye on the playing field as the season progresses, adding and dropping films & actors as their buzz rises and falls. Actors in high grossing films with small casts (think Sandra Bullock in Gravity, for instance) can earn you a lot of box office points, sometimes more than film picks can.

But essentially it all comes down to what you believe will have the biggest presence of the year, and that’s what makes it fun to compete.
My siggie.
dunya
GOAT Whisperer
Posts in topic: 10

Re: Fantasy Movie League - Season 2!!! Signups

Post by dunya »

I'm in to WIN, not to try ;)
DharmaHelper
Capo Regime (Street Boss)

Post by DharmaHelper »

I'm in if I get first pick
our Linkitis is our lives.

ImageImage
ImageImage
timmer
Racketeer

Post by timmer »

[mention]juliets[/mention] [mention]Mongoose[/mention] I hope you will play this year!
My siggie.
juliets
Dancing Pancake
Posts in topic: 1
Preferred Pronouns: she/her/hers
Aka: jules

Post by juliets »

timmer, I don't know anything about picking movies or stars a year out but I enjoy following you guys doing it. Mongoose however is a movie expert. I hope she plays.
JaggedJimmyJay wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 3:24 pm Always good to remember that there is no such thing as a Mafia circumstance that is worth real human emotion. Sometimes it will naturally come out, but it can be contained if we just remember that this is a game on a message board forum that 99.99% of the population of the Earth has never heard of before. No matter how successful anyone is, it means just about nothing.

ImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
JaggedJimmyJay
The Brassiere of The Syndicate
Posts in topic: 5
Preferred Pronouns: He/him/his/himself
Aka: Jay | JJJ | J3 | 3J | jagged | Jimmy | KOFM

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

juliets wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 9:33 am timmer, I don't know anything about picking movies or stars a year out but I enjoy following you guys doing it. Mongoose however is a movie expert. I hope she plays.
I knew very little and just did some light googling before the draft, and I ended up with a silver medal. Anyone can hang. :goofp:
Overall: 73-57 (.56) | Town 49-41 (.54) | Mafia 18-11 (.62) | Independent 6-4 (.60)

The Syndicate: Town 23-26; Mafia 10-5; Indy 5-1 | RateYourMusic: Town 14-13; Mafia 5-4; Indy 0-3 | Mafia Universe: Town 6-0; Mafia 1-0 | Student Doctor Network: Town 2-1; Mafia 1-0 | HeroClixRealms: Town 1-0; Mafia 0-1 | Bulbagarden: Mafia 0-1; Indy 1-0 | 2+2 POG: Town 1-0 | Naruto Forums: Town 0-1 | Personality Café: Town 1-0 | Vendetta Strada: Town 0-1 | Mafia451: Town 1-0 | Wintreath: Mafia 1-0

Awards:

The Syndicate

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Student Doctor Network

ImageImageImageImageImage

Rate Your Music

Best Townie, Maffies 4, 8 and 9
Best Scum, Maffies 3
Best Moderator, Maffies 8 and 9
Most Valuable Player, Maffies 7 and 9
Best Roleplay, Maffies 4 and 6
Spirit Award, Maffies 9
Hall of Fame inductee, Maffies 4

Mafia Universe

Mafia Championship Finalist, 2015 and 2020
Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage[-Mass Effect Mafia banner-]ImageImageImageImage
DharmaHelper

Post by DharmaHelper »

I knew jack shit and got 5th place. Would've scored higher if I'd gone with my gut on Eighth Grade but really, its not a stressful or intensive game unless you make it one. Just pop open IMDB's calendar, and pick from those. And for actors, which we draft second, you'll have a list of everyone's movies to click through and pick the first 2-3 names on the cast list.

ImageImage
ImageImage
timmer
Racketeer

Post by timmer »

juliets wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 9:33 am timmer, I don't know anything about picking movies or stars a year out but I enjoy following you guys doing it. Mongoose however is a movie expert. I hope she plays.
Mr. Sock locked only big box office movies and almost made it to round 3. You should play!
My siggie.
timmer
Racketeer

Post by timmer »

[mention]ricochet[/mention] ? [mention]epignosis[/mention] ? [mention]marmot[/mention] ? [mention]golden[/mention] ?
My siggie.
dunya
GOAT Whisperer

Post by dunya »

it's a very low effort draft and then you just sit back and let timmer do all the work :meany:

none of us had any idea what we were doing, but you just pick upcoming movies you think are gonna be award earners and money earners and some actors and call it a day. the jabbing and poking is the best part during the season. and of course, beating DH at SOMETHING this year was also a nice feeling. ;)
dunya
GOAT Whisperer

Post by dunya »

i'm gonna pass this link around to some of my non-syndicate friends who might be up for it too.
timmer
Racketeer

Post by timmer »

I think we need at least 8 players, but it should result work better with at least 10...
My siggie.
DharmaHelper

Post by DharmaHelper »

3 more ez pz

ImageImage
ImageImage
novaselinenever
Hitman
Posts in topic: 3

Post by novaselinenever »

:noble:
JaggedJimmyJay

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

I recommend some other site regulars have a go at this. It was very low-maintenance last year and won't require much of your time. Even minimal movie knowledge like "I know who Leo DiCaprio is" is sufficient to give you a puncher's chance [to finish second behind timmer :meany:]

[mention]Spacedaisy[/mention]
[mention]nutella[/mention]
[mention]speedchuck[/mention]
[mention]Lunalee[/mention]
[mention]ColinIsCool[/mention]
[mention]Jackofhearts2005[/mention]
[mention]colonialbob[/mention]
Overall: 73-57 (.56) | Town 49-41 (.54) | Mafia 18-11 (.62) | Independent 6-4 (.60)

The Syndicate: Town 23-26; Mafia 10-5; Indy 5-1 | RateYourMusic: Town 14-13; Mafia 5-4; Indy 0-3 | Mafia Universe: Town 6-0; Mafia 1-0 | Student Doctor Network: Town 2-1; Mafia 1-0 | HeroClixRealms: Town 1-0; Mafia 0-1 | Bulbagarden: Mafia 0-1; Indy 1-0 | 2+2 POG: Town 1-0 | Naruto Forums: Town 0-1 | Personality Café: Town 1-0 | Vendetta Strada: Town 0-1 | Mafia451: Town 1-0 | Wintreath: Mafia 1-0

Awards:

The Syndicate

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Student Doctor Network

Rate Your Music

Best Scum, Maffies 3
Spirit Award, Maffies 9

Mafia Universe

Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage[-Mass Effect Mafia banner-]ImageImageImageImage
speedchuck
Knight of No Renown

Post by speedchuck »

Maybe sure
SIGNATURE:
Speedchuck wins the "Jack Torrance Has Always Been The Caretaker" award.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImage
colonialbob
Loan Shark
Preferred Pronouns: He/his/him

Post by colonialbob »

Having our first kiddo in April so I'm out, thanks for the invite though!
dunya
GOAT Whisperer

Post by dunya »

colonialbob wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2019 2:12 am Having our first kiddo in April so I'm out, thanks for the invite though!
:cloud9: huge congrats, my friend!
Lunalee
Loan Shark

Post by Lunalee »

This looks a bit too complicated for me. :P
Luna's Wins/Losses
Jobs
Ancient Greece Mafia - civilian - loss
U-Pick Mafia - mafia - loss
Retrocausality Mafia - mafia - loss
Mega Man Mafia - mafia - win
Hogwarts Mafia - civilian - loss
Side Missions
Image Mafia - civilian - loss
Courage the Cowardly Dog Mafia - civilian - loss
Heists
Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me - civilian - loss
Friends Mafia - civilian - loss
Daily Fantasy Mafia - civilian - win
Everyone's Insane! - mafia - win
Space Force - civilian - loss
Burglaries
Murder on the Owl Express - third party - loss
Operation Refrigerator Restoration - civilian - win
One Hour Werewolf - Tanner - loss
Awful Overplayed Dadrock Mafia - civilian - loss
Dethy Game - civilian - loss
Special Games
Two-Headed Monster Mafia - civilian - win
DharmaHelper

Post by DharmaHelper »

Colonialdad

ImageImage
ImageImage
DharmaHelper

Post by DharmaHelper »

Yo fam if I did all this work and we miss out on a Season 2 by one person I'm gonna freak.

ImageImage
ImageImage
dunya
GOAT Whisperer

Post by dunya »

No way. I'll get my sister to sign up if I have to. I linked some people but I think they all get overwhelmed with the long rules. I need to explain the game in simple terms :p
timmer
Racketeer

Post by timmer »

Rule 1. Pick a bunch of films .
Rule 2. Watch me win.

Its an easy game, really.

Even at 8 people, we wel need to alter the rules a bit...

May have to trim a round.
My siggie.
novaselinenever
Hitman

Post by novaselinenever »

[mention]leetic[/mention] [mention]sabie12[/mention] This should be fun if you're interested
sabie12
Maiden of Mischief
Preferred Pronouns: She/her/herself/they

Post by sabie12 »

I don't understand it at all but I'll do it!
Sometimes life does seem all planned out, like there's no choice in the matter. But that's just an illusion.
~Darren Shan~
DharmaHelper

Post by DharmaHelper »

lets goooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Gotta update the ol' sheet but I'm pumped. Unless I get a turd draft spot.

ImageImage
ImageImage
timmer
Racketeer

Post by timmer »

Sweet, with 8 we can at least launch, but we don't start until April 1st, so between now and then let's try to find more players, and to the first-timers, I'll send you a PM at some point giving you a condensed, easy version of how to play, to get you set up :)
My siggie.
sabie12
Maiden of Mischief
Preferred Pronouns: She/her/herself/they

Post by sabie12 »

Condensed easy to understand sounds good to me haha
Sometimes life does seem all planned out, like there's no choice in the matter. But that's just an illusion.
~Darren Shan~
dunya
GOAT Whisperer

Post by dunya »

my sister [mention]raz_zaa[/mention] is interested in signing up! just come in and vote yes here.
raz_zaa

Post by raz_zaa »

dunya wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 6:12 pm my sister @raz_zaa is interested in signing up! just come in and vote yes here.
Thanks for tagging me and explaining the rules! 😅
Excited to join in! 😁
JaggedJimmyJay

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

raz_zaa wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 6:32 pm
dunya wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 6:12 pm my sister @raz_zaa is interested in signing up! just come in and vote yes here.
Excited to join in! 😁
Welcome, it's great to have you! :biggrin:

Awards:

The Syndicate

Student Doctor Network

Rate Your Music

Best Scum, Maffies 3
Spirit Award, Maffies 9

Mafia Universe

Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

raz_zaa

Post by raz_zaa »

JaggedJimmyJay wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 6:34 pm
Excited to join in! 😁
Welcome, it's great to have you! :biggrin:
Thanks!! 😄
dunya
GOAT Whisperer

Post by dunya »

Excited to join in! 😁
you were very easy to convince :dark: :haha:
raz_zaa

Post by raz_zaa »

dunya wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 6:38 pm
Excited to join in! 😁
you were very easy to convince :dark: :haha:
Anything for you!! 😄😍
DharmaHelper

Post by DharmaHelper »

Aw cool.

ImageImage
ImageImage
dunya
GOAT Whisperer

Post by dunya »

[mention]sprityo[/mention] you should totally join in on this fun!
sprityo
The Turncoat
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by sprityo »

No thanks, I’m not one for these point system games
Epignosis wrote: Fri May 04, 2018 11:46 pm You all are terrible at this.
JaggedJimmyJay wrote:How does it feel to be the Best Civilian Player on the Syndicate?
Banners:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
timmer
Racketeer

Post by timmer »

Near the end of March, I'll randomize a draft order, and we will start drafting April 1st!
My siggie.
dunya
GOAT Whisperer

Post by dunya »

:omg: hypeeee
DharmaHelper

Post by DharmaHelper »

I better get first pick

ImageImage
ImageImage
timmer
Racketeer

Post by timmer »

Randomized draft order from random.org:

1. DharmaHelper
2. Mongoose
3. JaggedJimmyJay
4. novaselinenever
5. sabie12
6. Jackofhearts2005
7. speedchuck
8. raz_zaa
9. timmer
10. dunya

Draft will start April 1st! Only movies opening in North America as of May 1st will count! Sorry, no Avengers!
My siggie.
DharmaHelper

Post by DharmaHelper »

Ay lads we done it

ImageImage
ImageImage
DharmaHelper

Post by DharmaHelper »

All goofs and jokes aside there are like six films I could go either way on, lol oops gotta take some leaps of faith I guess.

ImageImage
ImageImage
JaggedJimmyJay

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

Better do a non-zero amount of research this week.

Awards:

The Syndicate

Student Doctor Network

Rate Your Music

Best Scum, Maffies 3
Spirit Award, Maffies 9

Mafia Universe

Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

dunya
GOAT Whisperer

Post by dunya »

I want a recount! DH rigged the randomizer because he's scared of our competition, timmer! :srsnod:
timmer
Racketeer

Post by timmer »

We got this, no worries!
My siggie.
DharmaHelper

Post by DharmaHelper »

My notes right now:

1. "I'd be an idiot not to take this film at #1"
2. God I hope this film gets back to me after R1
3. I'm so screwed when it comes to the Actors draft
4. I'm so nervous the #1 pick is gonna fizzle.

ImageImage
ImageImage
timmer
Racketeer

Post by timmer »

For the newbies:

Here is a link to last season's spreadsheet.

http://redirect.viglink.com/?format=go& ... %3Dsharing

Don't get freaked out by it, I do all the work, lol. But I want you to see 2 things. One, the first round is box office. You can see that iron dwarf didn't pick enough box office and never made it to round 2. And two, you don't need a ton of box office, you just have to not be last! In fact, the players who made it to the end had the lower box office totals.

Last thing: if you do want to lock up some box office, be smart! Sure, Ryan Reynolds would be a smart play last year, as he starred in deadpool 2 and would have earned his owner $79 million. But Josh Brolin was a better choice, earning the same $79 million but also $25 million for Sicario 2.
My siggie.
DharmaHelper

Post by DharmaHelper »

Dang if Joel Coen's MacBeth starring Denzel Washington and Frances McDormand came out this year I'd feel more confident in my #1 pick.

ImageImage
ImageImage
timmer
Racketeer

Post by timmer »

I'm going to create the draft thread, but it won't start until April 1st!
My siggie.

Return to “Tinsel Town”