Day 1

Kick back and relax at The Lounge, where you can discuss any other matter related to mafia games or The Syndicate. Mafia game strategists, look no further!

Moderator: Community Team

JaggedJimmyJay
The Brassiere of The Syndicate
Posts in topic: 2
Preferred Pronouns: He/him/his/himself
Aka: Jay | JJJ | J3 | 3J | jagged | Jimmy | KOFM

Day 1

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

I threw this together earlier today. Sometimes my methods draw questions, and I find myself saying many of the same things across various games (to the point of tedium for myself and quite likely others). In the future I can just reference this thing. :goofp:

If anyone's bored enough to view such geekery, please do. Argue with me if you think you have a more effective approach. I am more open than I might appear. I believe Day 1 strategies are often microcosmic of Mafia strategies in general (particularly for civilians).
Spoiler: show
Overall: 73-57 (.56) | Town 49-41 (.54) | Mafia 18-11 (.62) | Independent 6-4 (.60)

The Syndicate: Town 23-26; Mafia 10-5; Indy 5-1 | RateYourMusic: Town 14-13; Mafia 5-4; Indy 0-3 | Mafia Universe: Town 6-0; Mafia 1-0 | Student Doctor Network: Town 2-1; Mafia 1-0 | HeroClixRealms: Town 1-0; Mafia 0-1 | Bulbagarden: Mafia 0-1; Indy 1-0 | 2+2 POG: Town 1-0 | Naruto Forums: Town 0-1 | Personality Café: Town 1-0 | Vendetta Strada: Town 0-1 | Mafia451: Town 1-0 | Wintreath: Mafia 1-0

Awards:

The Syndicate

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Student Doctor Network

ImageImageImageImageImage

Rate Your Music

Best Townie, Maffies 4, 8 and 9
Best Scum, Maffies 3
Best Moderator, Maffies 8 and 9
Most Valuable Player, Maffies 7 and 9
Best Roleplay, Maffies 4 and 6
Spirit Award, Maffies 9
Hall of Fame inductee, Maffies 4

Mafia Universe

Mafia Championship Finalist, 2015 and 2020
Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage[-Mass Effect Mafia banner-]ImageImageImageImage
Epignosis
Skeletor
Posts in topic: 4

Re: Day 1

Post by Epignosis »

And then Blue fucks everything up by failing to vote No-Lynch.
Stream my music for free: https://epignosis.bandcamp.com/
Epignosis
Skeletor

Post by Epignosis »

Day 1 is important, but it's the least important Day phase. Your video amounts to, "Do stuff." Anybody can do that. I get that people complain about anybody who does things on Day 1, and that's a mistake. They shouldn't. But Day 1 is the least valuable Day. That doesn't make it not valuable.

My problem is with people who survive to the endgame scenario, and do fucking nothing. To me, doing nothing Day 1 is more forgivable than holding a Day 8 endgame spot and doing nothing.

If you are a civilian, and you are an endgame participant, then you are a deciding factor when it comes to whether or not all the civilians who died before you win. To me, that's a grave responsibility.

The problem here is simple:

People regard staying alive more important than winning with their faction.

Community Mafia is the chief example of this. I said civilians would win if Mac and Quin were lynched. Mac got me lynched. That should have been fine if my methodology would have been looked at, because then it would mean Mac (who knew he was a civilian) could lynch Quin and win the game for the civilians. Instead someone who should not have even been on the radar got lynched.

In Gossip Girl, people just voted and fucked off. Nobody talked. It was a shame.

Folks, if you make it to endgame, and you don't try, you are screwing a bunch of people out of a win. If you try and fail, that's fine, but do not vote and take a nap at endgame. Engage.
Dragon D. Luffy
The Pirate
Posts in topic: 1
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by Dragon D. Luffy »

Someone remind me when "doing things" and "doing whatever Epignosis tell you to do" became synonyms.
Epignosis
Skeletor

Post by Epignosis »

Dragon D. Luffy wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:07 pm Someone remind me when "doing things" and "doing whatever Epignosis tell you to do" became synonyms.
Nobody does anything I say.

That's why people lose. :meany:
JaggedJimmyJay
The Brassiere of The Syndicate
Posts in topic: 2
Preferred Pronouns: He/him/his/himself
Aka: Jay | JJJ | J3 | 3J | jagged | Jimmy | KOFM

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

Epignosis wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:36 pmDay 1 is important, but it's the least important Day phase. Your video amounts to, "Do stuff." Anybody can do that. I get that people complain about anybody who does things on Day 1, and that's a mistake. They shouldn't. But Day 1 is the least valuable Day. That doesn't make it not valuable.
I would tend to think that comparing day phases by their relative value is somewhat goofy. I would summarize my thoughts there simply: the most important day phase of the game is the current day phase. So, on Day 1, Day 1 is the most important (and it should be treated with urgency accordingly). :goofp:
Epignosis wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:36 pmMy problem is with people who survive to the endgame scenario, and do fucking nothing. To me, doing nothing Day 1 is more forgivable than holding a Day 8 endgame spot and doing nothing.
I figure that effort early is usually [not always] predictive of effort later. I agree that a dead thread at the end of a game is a losing prospect; that's not a controversial assertion.

My belief:

A game which is paced adequately on Day 1 may hold that pace effectively until the game ends or it may not; that depends upon who is killed and when.

A game that is slow on Day 1 will almost certainly remain slow throughout its full duration.
Overall: 73-57 (.56) | Town 49-41 (.54) | Mafia 18-11 (.62) | Independent 6-4 (.60)

The Syndicate: Town 23-26; Mafia 10-5; Indy 5-1 | RateYourMusic: Town 14-13; Mafia 5-4; Indy 0-3 | Mafia Universe: Town 6-0; Mafia 1-0 | Student Doctor Network: Town 2-1; Mafia 1-0 | HeroClixRealms: Town 1-0; Mafia 0-1 | Bulbagarden: Mafia 0-1; Indy 1-0 | 2+2 POG: Town 1-0 | Naruto Forums: Town 0-1 | Personality Café: Town 1-0 | Vendetta Strada: Town 0-1 | Mafia451: Town 1-0 | Wintreath: Mafia 1-0

Awards:

The Syndicate

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Student Doctor Network

ImageImageImageImageImage

Rate Your Music

Best Townie, Maffies 4, 8 and 9
Best Scum, Maffies 3
Best Moderator, Maffies 8 and 9
Most Valuable Player, Maffies 7 and 9
Best Roleplay, Maffies 4 and 6
Spirit Award, Maffies 9
Hall of Fame inductee, Maffies 4

Mafia Universe

Mafia Championship Finalist, 2015 and 2020
Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage[-Mass Effect Mafia banner-]ImageImageImageImage
Epignosis
Skeletor

Post by Epignosis »

Quin
Indecent Bastard
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Quin »

Dragon D. Luffy wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:07 pm Someone remind me when "doing things" and "doing whatever Epignosis tell you to do" became synonyms.
:nicenod:
Lunalee wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 9:13 amQuin's ISO is full of posts that are actually trying to be helpful to the game. This doesn't look like town Quin.
ImageImageImageImage

Return to “The Lounge”