Cap'n Sloonbeard
Posts in topic: 14
Preferred Pronouns: he/his/him

[LIGHT GAME] Escape From Sockville Penitentiary

Post by Sloonei »

Escape From Sockville Penitentiary
14+ players

GAME TYPE: Light Game

"What's a Light Game?" - A light game is a game that implements a restriction on the number of posts a player can make per phase.

"Why play a Light Game?" - Mafia is a fun game to play, but some people are too busy for a lot of the games that take place at the Syndicate or elsewhere online. Trying to participate in a game like this when you're unable to is not fun. This game is intended as a reprieve for the people who want to play mafia but don't always have the time for it. If that's you, I hope you'll give this game a chance!
Or maybe you just want to try something new. That's fine too.

"So how much can we post?" - For this game we'll be operating with a 45 posts-per-phase limit. That number is not set in stone if there are any objections; I've never hosted a game like this and don't know how that number will look in practice. Unless otherwise stated, players must not exceed 45 posts per game phase.
Note that the purpose of this posting cap is not to restrict or prohibit conversation in any way; it is only meant to keep the game from becoming overwhelming.

"Is there anything else that's unique about this game?" - Nope! Besides the post limit, this is a totally normal game of mafia. Well... normal to the extent that any game of mafia is "normal", anyway. Specific rules and details can be found below!

The Game
In the maximum security wing of Sockville Penitentiary there's a group of restless inmates that have had enough with the Warden's tyrannical control over their lives on here. Are they reformed? Well, what does that word even mean anyway? They'll be the first to tell you that words like that lose all meaning on the inside. All they know is this ain't the life they want, and if they can get out they'll be sure as hell to keep as much distance between themselves and any prison cell as they possibly can. That's for damn sure.

Word of a breakout conspiracy has made it back to the Warden and his staff -- you didn't think the warden would let those degenerates run free without eyes and ears on the ground, did you? If there's one thing the Warden can't tolerate it's a bruise to his ego. He has made it his personal goal to root out and snuff the breakout attempt before anyone slip through his grasp. The only problem is he's got no clue who's involved, who the ringleaders are, or what the plan is. Can he crack down before the inmates escape, or will they achieve their hard earned freedom after all?

Roles
The roles listed below would comprise the minimum-size setup for this game. This is what a game would look like if it is to run at 14 players. I am able to accommodate more players with additional roles if we exceed 14 signups.

Inmates (Town) (11+):
  • Eagle Eyes Phil* - Former head of security for one of the largest gangs in the metropolitan area, Phil knows how to spot a rat. On odd nights, he can check a player's alignment.
  • Danny Tightpants* - No one's brave enough to ask Daniel how he got his nickname, and frankly no one wants to know. All they need to know is that he's on their side; and he feels the same about them. On even nights, he can check a player's alignment.
  • Sammy the Lookout - Sammy's always known how to track his targets without leaving a trace, and things are no different on the inside. Three times during the game at night, Sammy can track a player to find out who, if anyone, they targeted that night.
  • Jimmy Hot Fingers - ]If you need something done, Jimmy Hot Fingers is the man for you. No one knows quite what he's up to, but you better believe he's up to something. Three times during the game at night Jimmy can watch a player to learn who, if anyone, they targeted that night.
  • Peepin' Tom -Poor Tom couldn't resist living up to his namesake, and those old habits have landed him in Sockville. But he's not without his uses on the inside! Three times during the game, Tom can target a player to learn what actions were performed on them, but not who performed those actions.
  • Charlie Hustle - Every gang needs a wildcard! It helps to thwart the Warden's plans if not even the rest of the breakout crew knows for sure what's going on, and that's where Charlie comes into play. Twice during the game, Charlie can target two players, redirecting all night actions from one target to the other and vice versa.
  • Lonnie the Conman - Lonnie's the best conman in the game, to the extent that most folks just assume he got himself locked up on purpose. But now he's trying to help spring his fellow inmates, and he does so with his trademark deft touch. Each day, Lonnie can distract the guards, freeing up one other player to exceed the standard 45-post limit for the phase. *secrets*
  • Prison Mike - Mike's not cut out for prison. He thought it would be a step up from his demeaning 9-5 office job, but boy was he wrong. His only solace is the friend he made in his cellmate, Danny Peanuts. Mike shares BTSC with Danny throughout the game.
  • Danny Peanuts - Danny's a good guy at heart. He knows he's made mistakes, but he thinks he's ready to start a new life on the outside. He's included his cellmate Mike in the breakout scheme out of pity, but all he can really do is make sure Mike doesn't crack and squeal to the Warden. Danny shares BTSC with Prsion Mike throughout the game.
  • Seamus Fitzroy - The ringleader of the whole operation, and the man with all the connections. Three times during the game, Seamus can have a player of his choice transferred to the infirmary for a night, protecting them from fatal night actions. In addition, *secrets*
  • Hairpin Pete - Pete's a bit of a loose trigger, but everyone was too afraid to exclude him from the plot once he found out about it. Pete's liable to fly off the handle at any moment, though. Once during the game, he can nightkill a player of his choice.
*At the beginning of the game, one cop will be randomly selected to become insane. The other will be sane. Players will not be alerted to their sanities.

Prison Guard (Mafia) (3+):
  • Snitching Richie - The Warden's man on the inside. Richie reports back to the Warden with any information he can glean from his fellow inmates. Twice during the game, he can perform an undetectable game at the Warden's behest. Alternatively, he can forego one of these untraceable kills to learn a specific player's role.
  • Sgt. Harrison - The Warden's second in command and head of the prison guard, no one power trips quite like Sgt. Harrison. Once during the game, Harrison can show his power by taking out a player regardless of any protective actions which might be used on them that night.
  • Warden Golden - Let no one forget that Sockville Penitentiary is Warden Golden's domain. The inmates may think they run this place, but they're dead wrong. Once during the game, the Warden can dispose of a player without a trace. No role will be displayed upon this player's death. In addition, *secrets*
Sloonei
Cap'n Sloonbeard

[LIGHT GAME] Escape From Sockville Penitentiary

Post by Sloonei »

Mechanics
-Day phases will be 48 hours. Night phases will be 24 hours.
-The game thread will be locked during Night phases.
-All votes will be changeable.
-Plurality voting; the player with the most votes at the end of the Day is lynched.

Rules
-As this is an open setup, all roleclaiming and info-dumping is prohibited.
-As stipulated above, players are restricted to 45 posts per phase unless specifically instructed otherwise. If a player exceeds their limit once, they will begin the following day with an additional vote on the poll per every 5 posts they make above the limit, and will have their limit reduced accordingly that day. A second violation will result in total silencing the following phase. A third violation will result in a modkill.
-Have fun and be respectful. This is a fun game, but sometimes emotions get involved. Remember that the Mod on Duty is always available if you have any grievances during the game.
-This is the host color. Try not to use it.

-Non-players should post in NP blue and should refrain from on-topic discussion. Note how ever so slighly different from the host color it is.
-Dead players should keep their posts in dead red and should avoid on-topic contributions.
-Off-topic content by active players should be in OT green.
My banners:
Spoiler: show
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Long Con
So Divine
Posts in topic: 1
Preferred Pronouns: boy ones

Re: [LIGHT GAME] Escape From Sockville Penitentiary

Post by Long Con »

First!
Sloonei
Cap'n Sloonbeard

Post by Sloonei »

excellent
My banners:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
birdwithteeth11
Loan Shark

Post by birdwithteeth11 »

It may change, but I'm in for now.
juliets
Dancing Pancake
Posts in topic: 8
Preferred Pronouns: she/her/hers
Aka: jules

Post by juliets »

I was going to sign up as a maybe/replacement but there is no selection that is maybe, lol. So I'll just put my name here as a maybe.
JaggedJimmyJay wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 3:24 pm Always good to remember that there is no such thing as a Mafia circumstance that is worth real human emotion. Sometimes it will naturally come out, but it can be contained if we just remember that this is a game on a message board forum that 99.99% of the population of the Earth has never heard of before. No matter how successful anyone is, it means just about nothing.

ImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
Sloonei
Cap'n Sloonbeard

Post by Sloonei »

Corrected an error in the original post: just to be clear, the per-phase post limit is set at 45 this game.

Also note that the thread will be locked during night phases, so the 45 post limit only applies to Day phases. There will be a hard 0 post cap at night as all the prisoners return to their cells.
My banners:
ImageImageImageImage
juliets
Dancing Pancake

Post by juliets »

Ok I'm changing from "maybe" to "in". I'm traveling in late July but usually it's only my travel days that I can't post.
JaggedJimmyJay wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 3:24 pm Always good to remember that there is no such thing as a Mafia circumstance that is worth real human emotion. Sometimes it will naturally come out, but it can be contained if we just remember that this is a game on a message board forum that 99.99% of the population of the Earth has never heard of before. No matter how successful anyone is, it means just about nothing.

ImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
juliets
Dancing Pancake

Post by juliets »

[mention]MacDougall[/mention] where are you? Another Prisoner game!

ImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
Epignosis
Skeletor
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Epignosis »

I will play if this starts after my vacation. If not, and it's still running, I can be a replacement.
Stream my music for free: https://epignosis.bandcamp.com/
MacDougall
Out of my scumrange

Post by MacDougall »

juliets wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 7:32 pm @MacDougall where are you? Another Prisoner game!
Sup?
juliets
Dancing Pancake

Post by juliets »

MacDougall wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 9:39 pm
juliets wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 7:32 pm @MacDougall where are you? Another Prisoner game!
Sup?
I want you to sign up for this game, that's whats up!

ImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
juliets
Dancing Pancake

Post by juliets »

[mention]nutella[/mention] you too, sign up for this game! Shouldn't be as busy as some of the others we have played so easier to keep up with.

ImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
Sloonei
Cap'n Sloonbeard

Post by Sloonei »

juliets wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2019 8:33 am @nutella you too, sign up for this game! Shouldn't be as busy as some of the others we have played so easier to keep up with.
:nicenod: That’s the whole idea. So if there’s anyone else out there who’s been too busy to play recently, this game’s (maybe) for them.
My banners:
ImageImageImageImage
Quin
Indecent Bastard

Post by Quin »

Sloonei wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2019 12:04 pm
juliets wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2019 8:33 am @nutella you too, sign up for this game! Shouldn't be as busy as some of the others we have played so easier to keep up with.
:nicenod: That’s the whole idea. So if there’s anyone else out there who’s been too busy to play recently, this game’s (maybe) for them.
wow, a game just for me
Lunalee wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 9:13 amQuin's ISO is full of posts that are actually trying to be helpful to the game. This doesn't look like town Quin.
ImageImageImageImage
Dom
mayor of gaytown
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Dom »

hi
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Sloonei
Cap'n Sloonbeard

Post by Sloonei »

We just need three more to reach the bare minimum.
My banners:
ImageImageImageImage
Rej
Corrupt Union Official

Post by Rej »

I will play it :)
ImageImageImageImage
Creature
Made Man

Post by Creature »

Sloonei wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 10:19 pm For this game we'll be operating with a 45 posts-per-phase limit.
Hmmmm
sabie12
Maiden of Mischief
Preferred Pronouns: She/her/herself/they

Post by sabie12 »

Ah yes a game that caters to us low posters haha
Sometimes life does seem all planned out, like there's no choice in the matter. But that's just an illusion.
~Darren Shan~
Sloonei
Cap'n Sloonbeard

Post by Sloonei »

:biggrin:

Sabie puts us at 13, one player away from the minimum. This has filled up rather quickly, and I’d like to give it more time to see if any other players roll in anyway. More players is more fun. So even if we hit 14 in the immediate future, I’ll probably give this a bit more time before getting underway.
My banners:
ImageImageImageImage
Dom
mayor of gaytown

Post by Dom »

uno mas por avor
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
novaselinenever
Hitman

Post by novaselinenever »

Can the posting limit be lifted for the last hour of the day? :noble:
Dragomir
Money Launderer
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Dragomir »

novaselinenever wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:59 am Can the posting limit be lifted for the last hour of the day? :noble:
Can't find scum in 45 posts? :grin:
Oreki

Post by Oreki »

In
Sloonei
Cap'n Sloonbeard

Post by Sloonei »

novaselinenever wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:59 am Can the posting limit be lifted for the last hour of the day? :noble:
I've considered giving an additional +10 for the final hour.

On the one hand, that feels like it would do nothing but change the mindset of the players from dealing with a 45 post ceiling to 55. But on the other, it does kind of liberate people from the anxiety of accidentally exhausting their voice before the pivotal moments. The goal is not to restrict discussion, after all. I might still do that. People can feel free to weigh in on this in here. I've never hosted or seen a game like this, so I don't have a great sense of how this post cap is going to play out in reality.

In other news, we've hit our minimum roster size. :dance: Thanks to all of you who've signed up so far. Signups remains open and I encourage anybody else who's interested to join us in the penitentiary. We have plenty of open cells. :beer:
My banners:
ImageImageImageImage
Dragomir
Money Launderer

Post by Dragomir »

Sloonei wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 2:31 pm

On the one hand, that feels like it would do nothing but change the mindset of the players from dealing with a 45 post ceiling to 55. But on the other, it does kind of liberate people from the anxiety of accidentally exhausting their voice before the pivotal moments. The goal is not to restrict discussion, after all. I might still do that. People can feel free to weigh in on this in here. I've never hosted or seen a game like this, so I don't have a great sense of how this post cap is going to play out in reality.

In other news, we've hit our minimum roster size. :dance: Thanks to all of you who've signed up so far. Signups remains open and I encourage anybody else who's interested to join us in the penitentiary. We have plenty of open cells. :beer:
Why don't you just not have a posting limit entirely?
Dragomir
Money Launderer

Post by Dragomir »

Sloonei wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 2:31 pm

Why don't you just not have a posting limit entirely?
Sloonei
Cap'n Sloonbeard

Post by Sloonei »

The post limit is the entire point of this particular game. The Syndicate tends to have busy games, but not everybody has time for that.
My banners:
ImageImageImageImage
Reniki

Post by Reniki »

Hello , im new to the forum. Has this game started or no?
Sloonei
Cap'n Sloonbeard

Post by Sloonei »

Reniki wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 3:02 pm Hello , im new to the forum. Has this game started or no?
It has not, and you’re certainly welcome to sign up if you’re interested. 14 players is just the bare minimum I had set in order to run this. I would prefer more than that.
My banners:
ImageImageImageImage
Reniki

Post by Reniki »

Sloonei wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 3:08 pm
Reniki wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 3:02 pm Hello , im new to the forum. Has this game started or no?
It has not, and you’re certainly welcome to sign up if you’re interested. 14 players is just the bare minimum I had set in order to run this. I would prefer more than that.
Alright im up for it. Sign me up
Sloonei
Cap'n Sloonbeard

Post by Sloonei »

Reniki wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 3:34 pm
Sloonei wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 3:08 pm
Alright im up for it. Sign me up
Welcome aboard! Make sure you vote in the poll to make it official/so I don’f forget.
My banners:
ImageImageImageImage
Dom
mayor of gaytown

Post by Dom »

Ithink it also forces us to be careful about what we say rather than just blurting every idea into the oblivion
novaselinenever
Hitman

Post by novaselinenever »

juliets
Dancing Pancake

Post by juliets »

Sloonei wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 7:36 pm The post limit is the entire point of this particular game. The Syndicate tends to have busy games, but not everybody has time for that.
Sloon, I would vote for the posting limit to stay at 45 but by all means go with what the majority say. It's looking like your game is going to start roughly the same time as DDL's, and I leave on vacation Friday, so I've thought about dropping out but I'm hoping the posting limit will keep it manageable for me. I won't be posting anywhere near 45 per phase.

ImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
Quin
Indecent Bastard

Post by Quin »

i don't think i'll even post 45 times a day, but in my mind a last-hour expansion sounds good. there are people who will focus their time here on the last few hours anyway so the entire mechanic is unlikely to affect them - meanwhile those posting throughout the phase are more likely to budget their posts.
Lunalee wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 9:13 amQuin's ISO is full of posts that are actually trying to be helpful to the game. This doesn't look like town Quin.
ImageImageImageImage
Dragomir
Money Launderer

Post by Dragomir »

[mention]Sloonei[/mention] how many more players are you gonna wait for before starting?
juliets
Dancing Pancake

Post by juliets »

Let's roll Sloon before I chicken out! :workit:

ImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
Sloonei
Cap'n Sloonbeard

Post by Sloonei »

I have no set number I've been looking for, I've just been occupied and wanted to give more people a chance to sign up anyway.

I also need to plan the start of this game around my personal schedule a bit. I'll be driving home to Massachusetts late next week, which will take up a full day for me so I don't want this game to be in the middle of a phase transition at that point.

It looks like Monday would be the best start time for that to work out as I want it. Apologies if anyone really wanted to get this game underway over the weekend. Expect rolecards Monday morning/afternoon, or maybe sunday evening if I'm feeling ambitious.

My banners:
ImageImageImageImage
juliets
Dancing Pancake

Post by juliets »

Thanks for the update Sloonei! I will be traveling on Monday but should be able to sign on sometime in the afternoon or evening. Don't worry if you don't see me on Monday though due to my schedule.

ImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
Epignosis
Skeletor

Post by Epignosis »

I am back home and can join. I'll ask Eloh if she wants in too.
Stream my music for free: https://epignosis.bandcamp.com/
Sloonei
Cap'n Sloonbeard

Post by Sloonei »

Eloh + 1 more would get us to 18, which is the ideal size for this setup imo, if there’s anyone else out there who is interested.

I still intend to start this tomorrow.
My banners:
ImageImageImageImage
Sloonei
Cap'n Sloonbeard

Post by Sloonei »

We’re on lockdown, inmates. Return to your cells and await further instruction.
My banners:
ImageImageImageImage

Return to “Previous Sit Down Sign-Ups”