Spider-verse Mafia [SIGN-UPS, 30p]

Moderator: Community Team

Will you step up to save the Spider-verse?

Yes! My Spidey-sense is tingling!
63%
No! I am arachnophobic!
No votes
Maybe! I might replace a fallen Spider!
20%
Interesting! I'll just watch!
12%
٤ ױфњ ◙ Ө● ờ סּ☼צ фצ ☻צּ ∞ ٤ ﺞ٤ט≡ њ٧٤жK
5%

Total votes: 41
tutuu
Capo Regime (Street Boss)
Posts in topic: 14

Re: Spider-verse Mafia [SIGN-UPS, 30p]

Post by tutuu »

mafia should have standardized rules. i have proposed we make a rule set for the syndicate and that was kind of rejected.

its cheating because the game "mafia" is supposed to be uninformed majority vs informed minority. anything else devolves from the game, its no longer mafia. if you happen to rand the minority (mafia) but you selfishly remove your TMI by not reading your role PM, it's like you're town, it's not fair towards the other players. like even if the overall winrate stays the same, on principle, its not fair towards the other players, its dirty
Kylemii
Bodice of Reason
Posts in topic: 41
Preferred Pronouns: he/him

Post by Kylemii »

my post got eaten by automatic log out bleh

your thoughts on this topic are valid but not official

standardized rules would risk alienating players crossing over from new communities and stifle the creativity of hosts who want to introduce rule variations

and while this whole idea has been basically a joke from the start, I think disagree with you on principle that it would create an unfair advantage for the person doing it. In the situation you brought up where you roll mafia, it's not exactly 'like you're town' cus you'd still have teammates and everything else, you'd risk being bussed by or bussing, and you risk needing to change your approach toward players once you do eventually check your role pm, all it does is give you help on putting yourself in the mindset of a townsperson, which is something you should already be doing in the first place, at the cost of collusion. From other players it's no better or worse than posting in just emojis.

plus in most games the strategy would only last 48 hours by default. I think calling it "cheating" to not read your role PM is a little hyperbolic
Kylemii
Bodice of Reason

Post by Kylemii »

If someone were to Never read their role PMs at any time in any game obviously that would be a problem
tutuu

Post by tutuu »

i never claimed my thoughts are official not sure where'd that come from. they are unofficial but truthful at the same time! hosts can still override whatever they want i dont see the issue in that suggestion. but back to the original topic, ur maybe right that calling it cheating is hyperbolic since it doesnt necessarily give u an advantage if we think result-oriented. on principle it gives you the advantage that you get to overcome the biggest hurdle - knowing who is town so u dont need to fake solving. u can do real solving. its not just about knowing ur teammates, if u play normally u know the town too, everything u do has got to be faked and manufactured, thats the point of playing as scum. instead of "cheating" ill settle for "obnoxious" or "insufferable" or "unsportsmanlike". some sites ban you for doing it and i think it makes sense why they do so
tutuu

Post by tutuu »

Kylemii wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 6:02 pm From other players it's no better or worse than posting in just emojis.
disagree. if you were truthful that u haven't read ur role pm and u claimed this on day 0, then what u said here is the true. ur basically not rly a player yet. so u could associate that with posting in emoji

but if you deceive the other players and not reveal that you haven't read your role pm, they would make the natural assumption that you indeed have read it. if they are good players, they will correctly identify that you don't have TMI / aren't informed, therefore you are town. so if you happen to be mafia, you would be punishing other players for playing good, hence, u know
Kylemii
Bodice of Reason

Post by Kylemii »

I agree with basically all of that, except I think annoying or insufferable is also overdoing it. I don't think you'd even be able to tell if it was already happening.

I want to clarify, because sometimes I'm bad at tone on the interne, but I have no negative feelings resulting or causing this conversation I'm actually just interested in your perspective on this because I think some of our core ideas seem to differ.
Kylemii
Bodice of Reason

Post by Kylemii »

I thought about it from an outside perspective for like 30 seconds and actually you're 100% right
tutuu

Post by tutuu »

high five :P
Kylemii
Bodice of Reason

Post by Kylemii »

insert hi-5 emoji here

I think if I as a player were fooled by someone using that tactic once I'd be like "haha wow what a cool trick" but the moment someone else tried it or the same person did it twice I'd be definitely tired of it.

also anyone who can go a day or more without reading their role PM is a monster in the first place. No one has that kind of willpower
sabie12
Maiden of Mischief
Posts in topic: 5
Preferred Pronouns: She/her/herself/they

Post by sabie12 »

I love me some Spider-man and into the spider-verse was such a good movie!
Sometimes life does seem all planned out, like there's no choice in the matter. But that's just an illusion.
~Darren Shan~
sabie12
Maiden of Mischief

Post by sabie12 »

Omg! You put Morlun in this game!! Ahhhhh that's so awesome!
Sometimes life does seem all planned out, like there's no choice in the matter. But that's just an illusion.
~Darren Shan~
nutella
Connoisseur of Spice
Preferred Pronouns: she/her/hers

Post by nutella »

Kylemii wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 6:02 pm my post got eaten by automatic log out bleh

standardized rules would risk alienating players crossing over from new communities and stifle the creativity of hosts who want to introduce rule variations

and while this whole idea has been basically a joke from the start, I think disagree with you on principle that it would create an unfair advantage for the person doing it. In the situation you brought up where you roll mafia, it's not exactly 'like you're town' cus you'd still have teammates and everything else, you'd risk being bussed by or bussing, and you risk needing to change your approach toward players once you do eventually check your role pm, all it does is give you help on putting yourself in the mindset of a townsperson, which is something you should already be doing in the first place, at the cost of collusion. From other players it's no better or worse than posting in just emojis.

plus in most games the strategy would only last 48 hours by default. I think calling it "cheating" to not read your role PM is a little hyperbolic
just for the record, on MU it's considered cheating to the point where the forum software does not allow you to post in the game if you haven't clicked on a confirmation link in your role PM
to the spoiler go the victories:
Spoiler: show
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image ImageImage Image Image Image
Image Image Image Image
Image Image Image Image Image
Image Image
Sloonei
Cap'n Sloonbeard
Posts in topic: 7
Preferred Pronouns: he/his/him

Post by Sloonei »

nutella wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 12:30 am
Kylemii wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 6:02 pm my post got eaten by automatic log out bleh

just for the record, on MU it's considered cheating to the point where the forum software does not allow you to post in the game if you haven't clicked on a confirmation link in your role PM
I played in 3 champs games and failed to click on that button 3 times.
My banners:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Sloonei
Cap'n Sloonbeard

Post by Sloonei »

Not reading role pm is against the spirit of the game. Whether or not that should be considered cheating, idk. I would not want someone to do it in a game that I was hosting.
My banners:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
Kylemii
Bodice of Reason

Post by Kylemii »

hm... this has been enlightening to me, i'm not sure what to make of it.
Kylemii
Bodice of Reason

Post by Kylemii »

how often do you think about your role/alignment/teammates when you're posting?
Kylemii
Bodice of Reason

Post by Kylemii »

like... on purpose, I mean
Sloonei
Cap'n Sloonbeard

Post by Sloonei »

Kylemii wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 1:05 am how often do you think about your role/alignment/teammates when you're posting?
If I’m town I never actively think about it. Very rarely if I have a specific strategy involving my specific role, I’ll do something different, but mostly I treat every game as if I’m vanilla town.
If I’m mafia I try to think about it as little as possible on Day 1, but then it’s a main focus every day after that.
My banners:
ImageImageImageImage
Kylemii
Bodice of Reason

Post by Kylemii »

so you'll build a case on day 3 and think "this is a mafia sloonei case"
Kylemii
Bodice of Reason

Post by Kylemii »

maybe that's what's wrong with my scum meta, maybe I'd be better if I were more actively shady.
Kylemii
Bodice of Reason

Post by Kylemii »

maybe my town meta would be stronger if I were more actively shady there too
Sloonei
Cap'n Sloonbeard

Post by Sloonei »

Kylemii wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 1:17 am so you'll build a case on day 3 and think "this is a mafia sloonei case"
I grow a mustache whenever I'm mafia so that I may twirl it sinisterly.

But it's more like I'll let my team's agenda dictate what pushes and cases I make. I think I've gotten better at making my fake cases look authentic (or I've gotten more used to typing up arguments I don't actually believe in in town games and for uh academic purposes), so it's not like I'm cackling at my nefarious words, it's more that I'm blocking off certain roads and going down different ones than I normally would when I'm bad.
My banners:
ImageImageImageImage
Kylemii
Bodice of Reason

Post by Kylemii »

hm i see
Kylemii
Bodice of Reason

Post by Kylemii »

i have been mafia once in the last 4 years and i accidentally outed myself at the first given opportunity so i may be a little rusty
Long Con
So Divine
Posts in topic: 34
Preferred Pronouns: boy ones

Post by Long Con »

sabie12 wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 11:35 pm Omg! You put Morlun in this game!! Ahhhhh that's so awesome!
More than just Morlun... you must have read the earlier appearances of Morlun, before Spider-verse started? If so, that's very legit.

Have you read Spider-verse? If not, then you can read a compilation here, though there are some criticisms about the issue order. Also, on that site, you can get a more complete read by finding specific issues based on this Reading Order.
sabie12
Maiden of Mischief

Post by sabie12 »

Long Con wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 4:04 am
sabie12 wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 11:35 pm Omg! You put Morlun in this game!! Ahhhhh that's so awesome!
More than just Morlun... you must have read the earlier appearances of Morlun, before Spider-verse started? If so, that's very legit.

Have you read Spider-verse? If not, then you can read a compilation here, though there are some criticisms about the issue order. Also, on that site, you can get a more complete read by finding specific issues based on this Reading Order.
Yeah he ate Spider-man's eye! Haha I used to play heroclix and Morlun was one of my go to characters to use. I've got so much to catch up on reading, but I will check this out. Thanks!
~Darren Shan~
Samusamu
Corrupt Union Official
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Samusamu »

I just have been killed n1 in a game tryharding as town.

So im interested in another game, how many players are supposed to play in this game?
Long Con
So Divine

Post by Long Con »

Samusamu wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 4:50 pm I just have been killed n1 in a game tryharding as town.

So im interested in another game, how many players are supposed to play in this game?
Hoping for 30!
Samusamu
Corrupt Union Official

Post by Samusamu »

Long Con wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 10:07 pm
Samusamu wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 4:50 pm I just have been killed n1 in a game tryharding as town.

Hoping for 30!
Really🌚?

I cant stand that in english right now, radiohead show me that.
Kylemii
Bodice of Reason

Post by Kylemii »

broke my rule and read the roles, i have 3 questions:

What is "the scion"

i am immediately interested in the universe where spiderman is a grandfather and clint barton is his son in law

thank you for including Silk in the game, and also I am amazed at the amount of information and disinformation involved in this game it's going to be a wonderful mess of deception and i'm here for it
Kylemii
Bodice of Reason

Post by Kylemii »

actually only one of those things was a question, sorry
Long Con
So Divine

Post by Long Con »

Kylemii wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 4:02 am broke my rule and read the roles, i have 3 questions:

What is "the scion"

i am immediately interested in the universe where spiderman is a grandfather and clint barton is his son in law

thank you for including Silk in the game, and also I am amazed at the amount of information and disinformation involved in this game it's going to be a wonderful mess of deception and i'm here for it
I'm hoping for some glorious errors of judgment in this one for sure!

The Scion... I do need to flesh that out a bit more. Storywise, the Scion is a baby that is 1/3 of an Inheritor prophecy/ritual to stop Spider-totems from being born (which actually makes no sense and I never thought about that particular glaring plot flaw before. WTF??).

Anyhoo, the Scion is Ashley Barton's baby brother, so she starts off in custody of the Scion. If the Inheritors kill her, they get The Scion, then they only need to kill The Bride and The Other to get a two-kill night. Ashley can give the Scion to someone else if she wants, to keep him safe. If she passes him to an Inheritor, then of course they get that freebie.

I guess Ashley is a bit of a weaker role. Maybe The Scion should grant some sort of boon to the one who holds it.
Kylemii
Bodice of Reason

Post by Kylemii »

so functionally speaking the Scion is just like a football, from the game "Football" :ponder:
Long Con
So Divine

Post by Long Con »

Kylemii wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 2:37 pm so functionally speaking the Scion is just like a football, from the game "Football" :ponder:
Guillotine
Racketeer
Posts in topic: 15
Preferred Pronouns: He/him/his/himself
Aka: King of Bastard Games

Post by Guillotine »

I dont think this game is winnable if you rand mafia here. All town gotta do is to mass claim no?
Awards

Played
Image Image Image Image Image Image

Hosted

Quotes
Spacedaisy wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 12:05 am My interaction with Guillo was pocketed town talking to a wolf who had her fooled.
Hally
alien shapeshifter
Posts in topic: 10
Preferred Pronouns: they/them

Post by Hally »

Guillotine wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 6:16 am I dont think this game is winnable if you rand mafia here. All town gotta do is to mass claim no?
there’s a soup kill so outright mass claiming won’t work

but yes, strictly speaking there’s nothing stopping every villager who’s about to get mislimed from claiming their role and clearing themselves
ImageImageImageImageImageImage Image ImageImage
Guillotine
Racketeer

Post by Guillotine »

Hally wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 6:25 am
Guillotine wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 6:16 am I dont think this game is winnable if you rand mafia here. All town gotta do is to mass claim no?
there’s a soup kill so outright mass claiming won’t work

but yes, strictly speaking there’s nothing stopping every villager who’s about to get mislimed from claiming their role and clearing themselves
Interesting, i didnt know there was such mechanic as the soup kill. It's like flavor vigilante on steroids.
Awards

Played

Hosted

Quotes
Spacedaisy wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 12:05 am My interaction with Guillo was pocketed town talking to a wolf who had her fooled.
Kylemii
Bodice of Reason

Post by Kylemii »

also role claiming is boring and dishonorable so even without the soup kill there is incentive not to claim
Kylemii
Bodice of Reason

Post by Kylemii »

only cool and handsome people never roleclaim B)
Guillotine
Racketeer

Post by Guillotine »

Then im ugly and uncool as hell, i dont only roleclaim, i fps so i also fake claim lol.
Awards

Played

Hosted

Quotes
Kylemii
Bodice of Reason

Post by Kylemii »

fake claiming is always cool and sexy
Guillotine
Racketeer

Post by Guillotine »

Kylemii wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 4:33 pm fake claiming is always cool and sexy
Ooooh yah! I'm sesssssyyyyy :omg:
Awards

Played

Hosted

Quotes
MichaelScott
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by MichaelScott »

oh boy

what a setup

im def in
Long Con
So Divine

Post by Long Con »

MichaelScott wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 11:50 pm oh boy

what a setup

im def in
Welcome! We're halfway there!
nutella
Connoisseur of Spice
Preferred Pronouns: she/her/hers

Post by nutella »

MichaelScott wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 11:50 pm oh boy

what a setup

im def in
yoooooooo
to the spoiler go the victories:
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image ImageImage Image Image Image
Image Image Image Image
Image Image Image Image Image
Image Image
DkKoba
Drug Dealer
Posts in topic: 3
Preferred Pronouns: They/them

Post by DkKoba »

tutuu wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 3:39 pm mafia should have standardized rules. i have proposed we make a rule set for the syndicate and that was kind of rejected.

its cheating because the game "mafia" is supposed to be uninformed majority vs informed minority. anything else devolves from the game, its no longer mafia. if you happen to rand the minority (mafia) but you selfishly remove your TMI by not reading your role PM, it's like you're town, it's not fair towards the other players. like even if the overall winrate stays the same, on principle, its not fair towards the other players, its dirty

me reading that people are allowed to do this and being slightly turned off from joining a game joining from another community ..

ya for sure its hella grimy to ignore role PM and good hosts will make ppl confirm their role when running a game :)

also to add, solo maf should be allowed to soup. if they win that way, awesome. I played a setup recently that relied on mafia using the soup mechanic.

on glance I think that this setup is really swingy and v complex role interaction wise. Setups like these are better when closed IMO.
I wanted to sign up for a game here but it seems this is the only thing in sign ups but uh, probably will pass until I see a setup I won't want to ragequit.
main sites: MafiaScum, EpicMafia
DkKoba
Drug Dealer

Post by DkKoba »

also in games like this where all roles are unique and u have a soup kill there shouldn't be any reveal fwiw
Kylemii
Bodice of Reason

Post by Kylemii »

i've moved past this meme, but I'm surprised at how many people get so pearl clutching-ly offended at having nothing to go on.

If ya'll would grow up and just sharpen your psychic abilities maybe you wouldn't have that problem. RIP, I guess.
Kylemii
Bodice of Reason

Post by Kylemii »

DkKoba wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 3:14 amon glance I think that this setup is really swingy and v complex role interaction wise. Setups like these are better when closed IMO.
I wanted to sign up for a game here but it seems this is the only thing in sign ups but uh, probably will pass until I see a setup I won't want to ragequit.
long con games are notoriously full of intrigue and shenanigans, so i could see how they might scare someone who's only accustomed to playing basic bread and water games.

sad to see you go, but i look forward to playing with you in the future
DkKoba
Drug Dealer

Post by DkKoba »

Kylemii wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 3:54 am
DkKoba wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 3:14 amon glance I think that this setup is really swingy and v complex role interaction wise. Setups like these are better when closed IMO.
long con games are notoriously full of intrigue and shenanigans, so i could see how they might scare someone who's only accustomed to playing basic bread and water games.

sad to see you go, but i look forward to playing with you in the future
I literally gave feedback on how to improve such a setup ... mafia are easily PoEd here. I helped craft role madness setups before and learned some lessons from that. This setup looks like by day 3 or 4 you have a clear idea whos going to win, which shouldn't be the case.

Return to “Previous Job Sign-Ups”