1984 Mafia

Moderator: Community Team

Alison
Uomini D'onore (Man of Honor)
Posts in topic: 3
Preferred Pronouns: she/her

1984 Mafia

Post by Alison »

In keeping with my theme of having mafia game names only 4 characters long, here is 1984 mafia. The town are the members of the Thought Police, hunting for a possible Traitor in their ranks. They must ascertain whether or not the supposed Traitor exists, and if so, weed them out, without falling prey to rampant paranoia and suspicion destroying them from within.

- The deadline will be 48 hours for a day phase and 24 hours for a night phase. The thread will be fully open for discussion at night, but obviously you can't vote for people during that phase. Deadlines will always end at exactly 8PM EST. Since all phases are in multiples of 24 hours, that means that 8PM EST is the only time you need to remember. That is when voting closes, when day starts, and your deadline to submit your night actions. Please voice your concerns in the thread if you'd like to change this time.

- The setup is completely open, and is as follows.

Out of the 11 players in the game, 10 will be members of the Thought Police. The last one has a 50% chance of being a Traitor or a member of the Thought Police. (Whether or not a Traitor exists is decided at rand, much like a Matrix game deciding its setup.) On Day 1 and Day 2, play proceeds as normal, with the caveat that the Thought Police can't sleep - they have to choose someone to exe. If there is a tie, the Traitor (or myself if there is no Traitor) will decide who in the tie dies. If nobody makes a vote, the Traitor (or myself if there is no Traitor) will decide who dies. During the night, the Traitor will get a nightkill, but if there is no Traitor, I will decide the nightkill. I will make decisions to mimic a Traitor's as closely as possible - shooting consensus town, choosing the slightly townier player to die in a tie, etc.

On Day 3, players have the option to sleep. If sleep is voted for, then the Traitor (if there is one) automatically wins, and all Thought Police automatically lose, as the Traitor massacres them all in their sleep. But if there is no Traitor, then everyone wins, as they live on happily ever after. If sleep is not voted for, and there is no Traitor, then everyone loses, as the Thought Police fragments under mutual suspicion and paranoia. If sleep is not voted for and the Traitor is not exed, then the Thought Police have 1 more day to find the Traitor. If they don't vote out the Traitor by Day 4, the Traitor automatically wins.

To sum up: the job of the Thought Police is to figure out if there is a Traitor. If there isn't, they have to sleep on Day 3. If there is, they have to catch the Traitor by Day 4. The Traitor (if there is one) has to convince the Thought Police to sleep on Day 3 or evade the chopping block for 4 days.
There's nothing that says a fake can't surpass the real thing.
NANOOKTHEGREATANDFEARSOME
i moderated for mafiathesyndicate.com and all i got was this stupid title
Posts in topic: 4
Preferred Pronouns: Usually he/him but idc

Re: 1984 Mafia

Post by NANOOKTHEGREATANDFEARSOME »

I would suggest perhaps giving the traitor decisions to an anonymous non-playing person rather than making them yourself. GMs exerting that much influence on their game can sometimes rub people the wrong way.

On the other hand if nobody playing cares and agrees to it beforehand, I don’t think it’s a design flaw or anything and is fine in this context.

Otherwise the game seems fine? I’d suggest maybe allowing sleep to win D4 as well, but it’s probably fine either way.
Spoiler: show
ImageImageImageImage ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Alison

Post by Alison »

NANOOKTHEGREATANDFEARSOME wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 2:47 am I would suggest perhaps giving the traitor decisions to an anonymous non-playing person rather than making them yourself. GMs exerting that much influence on their game can sometimes rub people the wrong way.

On the other hand if nobody playing cares and agrees to it beforehand, I don’t think it’s a design flaw or anything and is fine in this context.

Otherwise the game seems fine? I’d suggest maybe allowing sleep to win D4 as well, but it’s probably fine either way.
Sleep can't win D4, since if it's all town and they didn't sleep D3 they would've lost before. I'm fine with giving Traitor calls to another person too.

Right I’m suggesting that all town don’t auto-lose by not sleeping on D3, they’d be able to sleep on D3 or D4 to win. I think it’s marginally better but it’s also 2am so I could be wrong, idk
ImageImageImageImage ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Alison

Post by Alison »

NANOOKTHEGREATANDFEARSOME wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 2:52 am Right I’m suggesting that all town don’t auto-lose by not sleeping on D3, they’d be able to sleep on D3 or D4 to win. I think it’s marginally better but it’s also 2am so I could be wrong, idk
Then you'd always exe on D3 because there's no downside yeah? So it would just be having the same setup but the deadline is pushed to D4 instead of D3.

Eh that’s true

Yeah I guess having one shot at it is really the only way to do it
nutella
Connoisseur of Spice
Posts in topic: 1
Preferred Pronouns: she/her/hers

Post by nutella »

Sounds really interesting
to the spoiler go the victories:
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image ImageImage Image Image Image
Image Image Image Image
Image Image Image Image Image
Image Image
Guillotine
Racketeer
Preferred Pronouns: He/him/his/himself
Aka: King of Bastard Games

Post by Guillotine »

Alison wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 2:01 am In keeping with my theme of having mafia game names only 4 characters long, here is 1984 mafia. The town are the members of the Thought Police, hunting for a possible Traitor in their ranks. They must ascertain whether or not the supposed Traitor exists, and if so, weed them out, without falling prey to rampant paranoia and suspicion destroying them from within.

- The deadline will be 48 hours for a day phase and 24 hours for a night phase. The thread will be fully open for discussion at night, but obviously you can't vote for people during that phase. Deadlines will always end at exactly 8PM EST. Since all phases are in multiples of 24 hours, that means that 8PM EST is the only time you need to remember. That is when voting closes, when day starts, and your deadline to submit your night actions. Please voice your concerns in the thread if you'd like to change this time.

Out of the 11 players in the game, 10 will be members of the Thought Police. The last one has a 50% chance of being a Traitor or a member of the Thought Police. (Whether or not a Traitor exists is decided at rand, much like a Matrix game deciding its setup.) On Day 1 and Day 2, play proceeds as normal, with the caveat that the Thought Police can't sleep - they have to choose someone to exe. If there is a tie, the Traitor (or myself if there is no Traitor) will decide who in the tie dies. If nobody makes a vote, the Traitor (or myself if there is no Traitor) will decide who dies. During the night, the Traitor will get a nightkill, but if there is no Traitor, I will decide the nightkill. I will make decisions to mimic a Traitor's as closely as possible - shooting consensus town, choosing the slightly townier player to die in a tie, etc.

On Day 3, players have the option to sleep. If sleep is voted for, then the Traitor (if there is one) automatically wins, and all Thought Police automatically lose, as the Traitor massacres them all in their sleep. But if there is no Traitor, then everyone wins, as they live on happily ever after. If sleep is not voted for, and there is no Traitor, then everyone loses, as the Thought Police fragments under mutual suspicion and paranoia. If sleep is not voted for and the Traitor is not exed, then the Thought Police have 1 more day to find the Traitor. If they don't vote out the Traitor by Day 4, the Traitor automatically wins.

To sum up: the job of the Thought Police is to figure out if there is a Traitor. If there isn't, they have to sleep on Day 3. If there is, they have to catch the Traitor by Day 4. The Traitor (if there is one) has to convince the Thought Police to sleep on Day 3 or evade the chopping block for 4 days.
Ooof no. The host deciding whom to kill as if there was a traitor? No thanks.
Awards

Played
Image Image Image Image Image Image

Hosted

Quotes
Spacedaisy wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 12:05 am My interaction with Guillo was pocketed town talking to a wolf who had her fooled.
Long Con
So Divine
Preferred Pronouns: boy ones

Post by Long Con »

OH damn yo! I jst read this for the first time, so I am in like a fin!

Guillotine wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 2:30 pm
Alison wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 2:01 am In keeping with my theme of having mafia game names only 4 characters long, here is 1984 mafia. The town are the members of the Thought Police, hunting for a possible Traitor in their ranks. They must ascertain whether or not the supposed Traitor exists, and if so, weed them out, without falling prey to rampant paranoia and suspicion destroying them from within.

Ooof no. The host deciding whom to kill as if there was a traitor? No thanks.
She’s already accepted an alternative

Return to “Mafia Game Submission Archive”