Mafia Championship: Season 8

Want to know what's new at The Syndicate? Check out site-wide announcements here.
JaggedJimmyJay
The Brassiere of The Syndicate
Posts in topic: 15
Preferred Pronouns: He/him/his/himself
Aka: Jay | JJJ | J3 | 3J | jagged | Jimmy | KOFM

Mafia Championship: Season 8

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

Official Invitation:
Spoiler: show
INVITATION TO THE MAFIA CHAMPIONSHIP (SEASON 8)

Ahoy there! :)

I’m very excited to invite your community to participate in Season 8 of the Mafia Championship.

The Mafia Championship is an annual forum-based tournament series that pits representatives from various online Mafia (aka Werewolf) communities against one another as they compete to determine the Internet’s greatest forum Mafia player. Each participating community democratically elects one person to represent them and be their “Champion”.

The tournament first started back in 2013. Since then, 320+ different communities and 50+ different nationalities have been represented.

It’s a super fun event that has created many new friendships and close bonds between communities. I hope that you would be interested in taking part :)

1. DO YOU ACCEPT THE INVITATION?

If your community wishes to participate, please confirm your participation to Lissa as soon as you can to ensure yourselves a spot. Currently, the plan is to accommodate 150 communities this season. If there is further interest, additional communities may sign up as substitutes; generally there are some replacements needed both before and during games.

If your community agrees to participate, the deadline for selecting your representative is May 7th, but the sooner the better.

The games will take place on Mafia Universe. If it’s okay, I can link directly to the general discussion thread regarding this topic on Mafia Universe.

Important notes
  • You may decide yourselves how you want to elect your representative, but we highly recommend some sort of democratic process (public nominations followed by a poll usually works out well).
  • In addition to electing a representative, you should also name an alternate who will be asked to step in if the first choice needs to back out.
  • Your representative should be prepared for having to read upwards of 500-600 posts per 24 hours during the early stages of the game. Additionally, there’s a requirement that each player must make at least 10 posts per Game Day. Only active players should apply/participate. I repeat: Your chosen player needs to be able to promise a good amount of activity on a daily basis.
2. SEASON 8 FORMAT

The tournament structure
  • 150 communities will participate, each sending one representative.
  • QUALIFIERS: 10 Qualifier Games will be played, consisting of 15 players each. I.e. every representative plays in one Qualifier Game. The players themselves vote post-game to determine who is deserving of advancement. 1st and 2nd place will advance to the Semifinal Games.
  • SEMIFINALS: A Jury consisting of finalists from Season 7 will select 25 additional players to advance to the three Semifinal Games. From each game, five players will advance to the Finale Game based on a post-game player vote, just like in the qualifying phase.
  • THE FINALE: The Finale Game is played. Once it has completed, the players vote to determine who shall receive the title of Season 8 Champion and a winner’s certificate signed by Dmitry Davidoff, the creator of mafia.
This year’s setup: Gold Rush 15er
The setup features 15 roles consisting of the following:

2x Mafia Goons
1x Mafia Roleblocker

1x Town Motion Detector
1x 1-Shot Town Vigilante (n2+)
1x Town Doctor
9x Vanilla Townie

Flips are alignment only.

Relevant mechanics info
- Day start.
- Majority elimination is enabled Day 2+, but majority is not required at any point for the elimination.
- Tied votes will result in a player being eliminated at random from among the tied players.
- No outside communication. I.e. you may not contact the other players outside of the thread (unless you are Mafia and wish to speak with your teammates).
- Phase Lengths and Deadlines will be up to the players themselves (I’ll organize your representative into a game with deadlines that suit their preferences).
- Thread is locked during Night Phases.
- Votes are automatically locked in at LYLO.
- Mafia factional kills are assigned. They can be tracked, watched, roleblocked, etc. (In this setup, that means they display as an action to the Motion Detector action.)
- Mafia share a factional Night Kill, which is a single standard shot for their faction. The mafia faction kill is mandatory.
- Mafia may communicate at any time.
- Each individual player may make a maximum of 150 posts per day phase (this restriction is lifted 2 hours before day end).
- The game will have a host to oversee everything and make sure everyone’s following the code of conduct, but otherwise the game is completely automated (automatic votecounts, thread locks and reveals alignments automatically, the bot receives and processes actions, etc.).

3. SEASON 8 TIMELINE

There will be 10 Qualifier Games, and your representative plays in just one of these. They will have start dates ranging from early May to early July. So in other words, as long as your representative can play sometime during that period, they should be good and I’ll make sure they get scheduled into a game that suits their schedule well. I.e. if your rep is busy until June, that isn’t a problem.

The Semifinal Games will be played in July/August, and the Finale Game sometime in August/September (whenever we can work out something that suits everyone).

If you want to get in contact with me ASAP, you can find me on Discord (Lissa#8083).

Kind regards,
Lissa

-----

It's just about that time gang. We'll likely receive an official invitation soon enough, so we can begin to think about how The Syndicate will be represented this year.

Click here to see the MU general information thread pertaining to the tournament.

We've assembled a hell of a resume (perhaps even the best resume of all) over the years in this thing. Have a look back at our previous representatives:

Seasons 1-7

This is something we're very proud of as a community. And it brings me to the single most important statement I wish to make about how we are represented: no prospective representative should feel the burden of those past achievements as though they are expectations that must be matched or bettered this time around. No player can control everything in this tournament with respect to advancement or even within a game! That's just how it works, and it's okay. The most important things, I believe, for our representatives would be:

~ Have fun
~ Represent the community with class and respect

Anything beyond that is just gravy. Now everyone will have their own ideas of what's "best" for the tournament, so I don't portray my own view there as any sort of authority -- rather it's a baseline and it's what concerns me the most as a former representative and a site administrator.

So who the hell wants to give this thing a try?

I don't think we need to be extremely formal about the decision. I suggest the following:

~ If you want to be considered, say so!
~ If you want someone else to be considered, nominate them! They will have the chance to accept or decline.

As far as I am concerned, any Syndicate member that plays Mafia here with us is eligible to be a representative.

We will likely send a primary representative and an alternate/substitute. If we have enough people that we need to vote, we can do so. We'd probably handle that privately rather than with a public poll though.

NOMINEES:
Kylemii
Nanook
Overall: 73-57 (.56) | Town 49-41 (.54) | Mafia 18-11 (.62) | Independent 6-4 (.60)

The Syndicate: Town 23-26; Mafia 10-5; Indy 5-1 | RateYourMusic: Town 14-13; Mafia 5-4; Indy 0-3 | Mafia Universe: Town 6-0; Mafia 1-0 | Student Doctor Network: Town 2-1; Mafia 1-0 | HeroClixRealms: Town 1-0; Mafia 0-1 | Bulbagarden: Mafia 0-1; Indy 1-0 | 2+2 POG: Town 1-0 | Naruto Forums: Town 0-1 | Personality Café: Town 1-0 | Vendetta Strada: Town 0-1 | Mafia451: Town 1-0 | Wintreath: Mafia 1-0

Awards:

The Syndicate

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Student Doctor Network

ImageImageImageImageImage

Rate Your Music

Best Townie, Maffies 4, 8 and 9
Best Scum, Maffies 3
Best Moderator, Maffies 8 and 9
Most Valuable Player, Maffies 7 and 9
Best Roleplay, Maffies 4 and 6
Spirit Award, Maffies 9
Hall of Fame inductee, Maffies 4

Mafia Universe

Mafia Championship Finalist, 2015 and 2020
Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage[-Mass Effect Mafia banner-]ImageImageImageImage
dyachei
Emotional Support Cat
Posts in topic: 1
Preferred Pronouns: They/them

Re: Mafia Championship: Season 8

Post by dyachei »

I nominate Dunya
JaggedJimmyJay

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

Sloonei wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 12:09 pm Let’s try for a majority-Syndicate finale
Overall: 73-57 (.56) | Town 49-41 (.54) | Mafia 18-11 (.62) | Independent 6-4 (.60)

The Syndicate: Town 23-26; Mafia 10-5; Indy 5-1 | RateYourMusic: Town 14-13; Mafia 5-4; Indy 0-3 | Mafia Universe: Town 6-0; Mafia 1-0 | Student Doctor Network: Town 2-1; Mafia 1-0 | HeroClixRealms: Town 1-0; Mafia 0-1 | Bulbagarden: Mafia 0-1; Indy 1-0 | 2+2 POG: Town 1-0 | Naruto Forums: Town 0-1 | Personality Café: Town 1-0 | Vendetta Strada: Town 0-1 | Mafia451: Town 1-0 | Wintreath: Mafia 1-0

Awards:

The Syndicate

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Student Doctor Network

Rate Your Music

Best Scum, Maffies 3
Spirit Award, Maffies 9

Mafia Universe

Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage[-Mass Effect Mafia banner-]ImageImageImageImage
Hally
alien shapeshifter
Posts in topic: 17
Preferred Pronouns: they/them

Post by Hally »

dunyaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
ImageImageImageImageImageImage Image ImageImage
Hally
alien shapeshifter

Post by Hally »

btw anyone who was a finalist last year is ineligible but if someone went and didn’t make finals they’re eligible
Hally
alien shapeshifter

Post by Hally »

i’ll throw tony out there. not sure if hcrealms has dibs on him though
Alison
Uomini D'onore (Man of Honor)
Posts in topic: 6
Preferred Pronouns: she/her

Post by Alison »

I also nominate dunya I think she's one of our best players
There's nothing that says a fake can't surpass the real thing.
NANOOKTHEGREATANDFEARSOME
i moderated for mafiathesyndicate.com and all i got was this stupid title
Posts in topic: 7
Preferred Pronouns: Usually he/him but idc

Post by NANOOKTHEGREATANDFEARSOME »

Send mac again
ImageImageImageImage ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Hally
alien shapeshifter

Post by Hally »

NANOOKTHEGREATANDFEARSOME wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 8:12 pm Send mac again
give other people a chance smh
TonyStarkPrime
Capo Regime (Street Boss)
Posts in topic: 3
Preferred Pronouns: he/his/him

Post by TonyStarkPrime »

Hally wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 8:06 pm i’ll throw tony out there. not sure if hcrealms has dibs on him though
I expect to be playing as a sub for the realms. Depends on interest.
TonyStarkPrime

Post by TonyStarkPrime »

I second sending mac again
nutella
Connoisseur of Spice
Posts in topic: 4
Preferred Pronouns: she/her/hers

Post by nutella »

(we actually cannot send mac again if ppl are serious, hes banned on mu for three months lol)
to the spoiler go the victories:
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image ImageImage Image Image Image
Image Image Image Image
Image Image Image Image Image
Image Image
nutella
Connoisseur of Spice

Post by nutella »

i nominate @Marmot

i nominate @Made
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image ImageImage Image Image Image
Image Image Image Image
Image Image
TonyStarkPrime

Post by TonyStarkPrime »

nutella wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 9:10 pm (we actually cannot send mac again if ppl are serious, hes banned on mu for three months lol)
should be a qualifier game after june right
Hally
alien shapeshifter

Post by Hally »

marmot goat

made goat
Hally
alien shapeshifter

Post by Hally »

TonyStarkPrime wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 9:11 pm
nutella wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 9:10 pm (we actually cannot send mac again if ppl are serious, hes banned on mu for three months lol)
should be a qualifier game after june right
i mean, he’d have to accept now and fill out the scheduling forms and stuff. kinda hard if he can’t go on the site
Sloonei
Cap'n Sloonbeard
Posts in topic: 11

Post by Sloonei »

I nominate myself on an alt account.

And also dunya.
My banners:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
NANOOKTHEGREATANDFEARSOME
i moderated for mafiathesyndicate.com and all i got was this stupid title
Posts in topic: 7
Preferred Pronouns: Usually he/him but idc

Post by NANOOKTHEGREATANDFEARSOME »

I vote for made then
ImageImageImageImage ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Hally
alien shapeshifter

Post by Hally »

i nominate paprika
JaggedJimmyJay

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

Among the former participants, I'd send @nutella first since she got screwed over by b/s. But she can't this time anyway as an event organizer. :goofp:

Awards:

The Syndicate

Student Doctor Network

Rate Your Music

Best Scum, Maffies 3
Spirit Award, Maffies 9

Mafia Universe

Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

Hally
alien shapeshifter

Post by Hally »

JaggedJimmyJay wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 9:32 pm Among the former participants, I'd send @nutella first since she got screwed over by b/s. But she can't this time anyway as an event organizer. :goofp:
she still can i think. ara was an organizer last year and still played
JaggedJimmyJay

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

o

Awards:

The Syndicate

Student Doctor Network

Rate Your Music

Best Scum, Maffies 3
Spirit Award, Maffies 9

Mafia Universe

Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

nutella
Connoisseur of Spice

Post by nutella »

nah it's actually been decided to not allow there to be someone both organizing and playing anymore lol. they all agreed it had a lot of potential to make a mess

i joined the organizer team fully intending to forgo the opportunity to play, and didn't want to anyway
Image Image Image Image
Image Image
Hally
alien shapeshifter

Post by Hally »

o
Syn
Hitman

Post by Syn »

seconding all the current nominations

i will nominate alison

ImageImageImageImage
Kylemii
Bodice of Reason
Posts in topic: 9
Preferred Pronouns: he/him

Post by Kylemii »

also seconding all of the current noms, including syn's nom of alison
JaggedJimmyJay

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

Nominate @Kylemii

Awards:

The Syndicate

Student Doctor Network

Rate Your Music

Best Scum, Maffies 3
Spirit Award, Maffies 9

Mafia Universe

Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

Kylemii
Bodice of Reason

Post by Kylemii »

i'm actually surprised dunya hasn't already done this. she's been a staple in this community forever, and she's probably one of the best representatives of what this community strives for.
Kylemii
Bodice of Reason

Post by Kylemii »

also she's good at the game obvs
Syn
Hitman

Post by Syn »

Kylemii wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 10:02 pm i'm actually surprised dunya hasn't already done this. she's been a staple in this community forever, and she's probably one of the best representatives of what this community strives for.
it's true, I know TS to strive for hotness

ImageImageImageImage
Sloonei
Cap'n Sloonbeard

Post by Sloonei »

Kyle would be a smash hit with the audience.
My banners:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
Alison
Uomini D'onore (Man of Honor)
Preferred Pronouns: she/her

Post by Alison »

second kylemii

he can accuse people from being from league of legends forums and actually be right in champs
There's nothing that says a fake can't surpass the real thing.
Kylemii
Bodice of Reason

Post by Kylemii »

is there a legit leagoe of legends mafia community
Sloonei
Cap'n Sloonbeard

Post by Sloonei »

Kylemii wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 12:09 am is there a legit leagoe of legends mafia community
Probably.
My banners:
ImageImageImageImage
BoKnows
Money Launderer
Posts in topic: 1
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by BoKnows »

Alison or JJJ
Sloonei
Cap'n Sloonbeard

Post by Sloonei »

BoKnows wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 12:05 pmAlison or JJJ
Jay was our primary rep last year.
My banners:
ImageImageImageImage
Hally
alien shapeshifter

Post by Hally »

jay was also the backup
dunya
GOAT Whisperer

Post by dunya »

i second third and fourth all the noms and i nominate @novaselinenever :)
JaggedJimmyJay

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

Hally wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 1:09 pm jay was also the backup
Salt levels elevated

Awards:

The Syndicate

Student Doctor Network

Rate Your Music

Best Scum, Maffies 3
Spirit Award, Maffies 9

Mafia Universe

Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

Marmot
Marmot
Posts in topic: 5
Aka: Marmot

Post by Marmot »

I agree with every nomination here!!

I would like to remove myself from the nominations. As much as I'd love to represent our wonderful community and as huge as an honor as it'd be, the timing won't work out well for me.

Mainly it's summer, and I plan on being outside a lot and not play too much mafia. :p

Seriously, they should host champs during the winter.

Banners and Stuff
My Syndicate Mafia Wins:

Full Games Civilian: Image

Mafia: Image Image Image Image

Independent: Image Image
Speed Games Civilian: Image Image Fiddler on the Roof

Heists Civilian: Image Image Image Image Image

MVP: RED vs BLUE
Burglaries Independent: The Theme Is Literally a Burglary
Special Games Civilian: Image Image Image Image

Independent: Image

My Syndicate Hosted Games:

Speed Games Image Image Image
Heists Image Image Image

Some other Banners:

2014 Sockys Image
2015 Sockys Image Image Image
Miscellaneous Image Image

Dragon D. Luffy wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 7:33 pm Just how many days of "let's yeet them tomorrow" can a mafioso survive?

The answer: all of them, if you are a marmot.
JaggedJimmyJay

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

*balloon flops around the room as it rapidly deflates*

Awards:

The Syndicate

Student Doctor Network

Rate Your Music

Best Scum, Maffies 3
Spirit Award, Maffies 9

Mafia Universe

Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

Syn
Hitman

Post by Syn »

Marmot wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 3:30 pm I agree with every nomination here!!

I would like to remove myself from the nominations. As much as I'd love to represent our wonderful community and as huge as an honor as it'd be, the timing won't work out well for me.

Mainly it's summer, and I plan on being outside a lot and not play too much mafia. :p

but then it'd cut into your winter camping time

ImageImageImageImage
Marmot
Marmot
Posts in topic: 5
Aka: Marmot

Post by Marmot »

Syn wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 3:32 pm
Marmot wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 3:30 pm I agree with every nomination here!!

but then it'd cut into your winter camping time
Oh crap, I didn't think about that!

They should just plan Champs around my camping trips.

Banners and Stuff
My Syndicate Mafia Wins:

Full Games Civilian: Image

Independent: Image Image
Speed Games Civilian: Image Image Fiddler on the Roof

Heists Civilian: Image Image Image Image Image

MVP: RED vs BLUE
Burglaries Independent: The Theme Is Literally a Burglary
Special Games Civilian: Image Image Image Image

Independent: Image

My Syndicate Hosted Games:

Speed Games Image Image Image
Heists Image Image Image

Some other Banners:

2014 Sockys Image
2015 Sockys Image Image Image
Miscellaneous Image Image

Dragon D. Luffy wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 7:33 pm Just how many days of "let's yeet them tomorrow" can a mafioso survive?

The answer: all of them, if you are a marmot.
Hally
alien shapeshifter

Post by Hally »

JaggedJimmyJay wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 3:29 pm
Hally wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 1:09 pm jay was also the backup
Salt levels elevated
not salt, paprika
Sloonei
Cap'n Sloonbeard

Post by Sloonei »

Has anyone nominated @sprityo yet?
My banners:
ImageImageImageImage
dunya
GOAT Whisperer

Post by dunya »

i want to first thank everyone from this community and others for nominating me, it's an honor to even be considered.

i have considered running for champs (seriously) since last year, and while i would be honored to represent the community that has meant the most to me and brought me some life long friendships (some that span over a decade long), the timing is just not right.

i have made no secret of my struggles in 2020 and as such, have decided to prioritize my mental health this time around. as many of you know, the pandemic has just brought about a bout of depression in me, which obsessive streaks (like my mafia habits) seem to feed and fuel.

so with a heavy heart, i must decline representing The Syndicate in champs this year, but promise to try next year when hopefully things around me aren't as cloudy and unknown. sorry for disappointing, but i know our representation is in good, capable hands!

<3

p.s. i also want to nominate @NANOOKTHEGREATANDFEARSOME
Hally
alien shapeshifter

Post by Hally »

:hug: dunya

take care of yourself. you’re great
JaggedJimmyJay

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

You are always justified dunia. Totally super kewl

Awards:

The Syndicate

Student Doctor Network

Rate Your Music

Best Scum, Maffies 3
Spirit Award, Maffies 9

Mafia Universe

Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

JaggedJimmyJay

Post by JaggedJimmyJay »

Besides it wouldn’t be fair if we just lock up two consecutive titles before the thing even starts. ;)

Awards:

The Syndicate

Student Doctor Network

Rate Your Music

Best Scum, Maffies 3
Spirit Award, Maffies 9

Mafia Universe

Best Town Player, 2020

Hosts:

dunya
GOAT Whisperer

Post by dunya »

hally <3 Jay <3

i had to decline now before the devil tempted me because i was -this- close. but i just ~know it's a bad idea for me~ atm. saying no officially in here keeps me in check. :)

plus, we all know the real magic happens in spec chat and as the self appointed Official Hype General of all and any TS representatives on MU, i got a lot of work to do in there~~!!

Return to “Announcements”