Mental Health Awareness Month

Want to know what's new at The Syndicate? Check out site-wide announcements here.
TS Mental Health
Posts in topic: 3

Post by TS Mental Health »

May is Mental Health Awareness Month in the USA. While it is not internationally acknowledged, and mental health in general is still a topic that isn’t openly discussed often, we feel it’s as much a reason as any to raise awareness for this tremendously important topic.

During this month, we will have a few events, as well as share some helpful information near daily, and all this will also be shared, and done in cooperation with Mafia Universe.

We are NOT providing any medical advice; we are not trained, licensed psychiatric professionals . We will simply be sharing resources from https://www.nami.org/ -- This initiative does not replace any professional help you can seek - but hope you consider it a thread of referenced information, that may benefit you in any small way or equip you better to dealing with a friend or family member.

We are doing this for several reasons, and if it helps even one person in any way, it will have been worth it.

Our goals are:

To raise awareness: Mental health issues are extremely common, and they come in different shapes. This is incredibly important to stress. You are not alone. It is common. Being down - or being depressed; having anxiety issues - even to the point of feelings of pending disaster and not knowing what to do; having an identity or existential crisis; etc... It takes on different shapes and forms, but it is all secondary. You have the right to feel any of this. You don’t have to justify why you feel a certain way to anyone. Sometimes, you don’t even know why. Your disease does not define you as a person. Mental health illnesses are just as real and legitimate as physical ones are. Your health is your own, and cannot be compared to anyone else’s.

To spread knowledge: You can get help. In more ways than one. There are registered healthcare professionals dedicated to helping, wherever you are in the world, who you can turn to. Family and friends may also be a great source of support. Sharing your struggles with people you trust can provide you with a huge sense of relief, even though initiating the topic of your issues may be tough in the beginning. Asking for help or support is never easy, but it can often mean taking a giant step in the right direction towards your recovery. We are surrounded by people who care for us, often more than is expressed. Asking for help is never a sign of weakness; rather, think of it as your attempt to feeling better.

To provide guidance: How to support someone with mental health issues. While it is important to note that it is not an obligation or duty to help someone who is going through a difficult time or struggling mentally or emotionally, recognizing red flags and acting upon them is also never wrong. There are different levels to it. Even the most casual dialogue goes a long way. Asking someone how they’re doing is never wrong. If you notice any red flags, no matter how trivial an issue it may be, talking about them may help make them feel noticed and cared for.
  • Self-harm and suicide are two of the worst outcome scenarios of mental health issues. Talking about it - specifically asking about it or saying that you are worried - does not worsen a struggling person’s condition. Don’t be afraid to be upfront and clear. Self harm and suicidal thoughts are often impulsive decisions, but often also something that has been on their mind as a solution to their issues for a long time. Allowing a person to come to terms with what they are going through, to recognize the severity of their struggles, can possibly encourage them to seek professional help.
  • Not being comfortable enough to talk to someone struggling with these issues, or with someone you suspect is going through a rough time, is completely normal. You should not be burdened to act upon your suspicions, especially if you feel out of your depth. If you feel like you cannot reach out personally to someone struggling, sometimes reaching out to people close to them can help. But again, this isn’t your responsibility alone and you should never feel guilted into action! Don't feel like it is your responsibility and you have to do something; it's not, you don't.
To stress that someone cares, and there may be something more that can be attempted!

To FIGHT the stigma surrounding mental illness!
  • Stigma is when someone, or even you yourself, views a person in a negative light just because they suffer from a mental health condition. Some people describe stigma as a feeling of shame or judgement from someone else. Stigma can even come from an internal place, confusing feeling bad with being bad.
  • Navigating life with a mental health condition can be tough, and the isolation, blame and secrecy that is often encouraged by stigma can create huge obstacles to reaching out for support or help. Learning how to avoid and address stigma is essential!

This thread will remain locked to prevent it getting cluttered. A separate discussion thread can be found in our Events Forum by clicking here. You can also check out and the Discussion Thread on Mafia Universe!
TS Mental Health

Re: Mental Health Awareness Month

1st of May

For the duration of this month, moderators on Mafia Universe and The Syndicate will be cooperating across numerous events to bring awareness on all of the above. Mental health struggles are real. They exist. They’re not going anywhere and they need our attention. Our communities are filled with people from all kinds of backgrounds, ethnicities, sexualities, gender identities, etc. We are overrepresented when it comes to mental illness, and many of us have personal experiences with people who have taken their lives, or are struggling on a near daily basis.

Most recently, we suffered the great loss of our dear friend Turnip Head/TH/Oddy. They were loved by everyone who was lucky enough to know them, and their presence always made the room shine that much brighter. All they wanted more than anything was to be loved and accepted. They taught us all about forgiveness, shedding our prejudices, and being the most positive versions of ourselves. TH’s passing weighed us all down, made us reflect on what we could have done differently, and yes, even some thoughts of not doing enough when we could have.

Some of the events planned for this months are announced here, today. Some will be announced further into the month. During the whole month, you can always reach out to any of the moderators on either site - or to this account, with any input or questions you might have.

• ‣ Story-sharing: We will be sharing some of our stories. Anyone who feels comfortable sharing their own story can do so. Every story counts, whatever your experience is. Your story might be the one that someone else relates to and identifies with; knowing that the path has been walked before - even partly - might do a whole lot of good for them.

Sharing your story anonymously, or with a name attached, if only to receive a single supportive comment in return, might make you feel that little bit better, and know that you are not alone in this.

Stories or poems, songs that mean a lot to you and want shared, a piece of art that you created or that made you feel something, or ANY other piece or text you want to share is accepted. It could be something like a “coming out” story, sharing struggles with either/both bipolar or unipolar depressions and anxiety disorders of all kinds, suicidal thoughts, relatives or friends who committed suicide, psychotic diseases or personality syndromes, eating disorders, etc. - every story counts and is immensely appreciated.

• ‣ Information Campaign: We will be sharing helpful information directly related to the abovementioned topics as part of the month-long event. We will be keeping it mostly concentrated towards information shared through www.nami.org, which is focused on the USA. If you need information for any other country, or think it should be added - please let us know and we will help you figure it out!

• ‣ Buddy System: We will attempt to introduce a buddy system. This may seem like a cheesy concept, but we would still like to offer the potential support achieved through this arrangement, and strongly believe in it.

Every person who signs up will be assigned a second person from MU or TS who has also signed up. This gives both parties the option to connect with a safe "buddy" who can listen and support them through ups and downs. Everyone is welcome and encouraged to sign up for this! What’s the meaning of this? It could be to simply… make a new friend, with no actual questions regarding health involved. It could be to have one person that you can ask "how are you?" to, every day. It could be to get one person that you share that little bit of extra information with. It could be that you might find a person you feel comfortable asking for advice. Even for sharing the good days, or achievements you’ve had. Sharing your happiness. Both the ups and downs. It’s an opportunity to have your social network extend just that little bit further, and other than that it's up to you both what you make of it - and we feel like it is worth trying.

If you are interested in taking part in the buddy system, want to submit a "story" or have any other questions, you can do this by PM'ing @TS Mental Health by clicking here or you can do so anonymously through the following form: https://forms.gle/WFkBAN9FDqLVznWL7

As of current, only MU staff member Arapocalypse has access to the form; a few other mods will be added over the next day or so and we will update this list accordingly to let you know who.

To optimize the buddy matching, a little info on yourself, or what you might be looking for would be helpful. Either way, we will do our best to produce as good a matching as possible. All of this will be anonymous unless you agree otherwise.

! Message from: The Syndicate and MU Mod Team
If you are ever in need of help, whether it is a crisis, or if you are uncertain how to take the first step, here is a collection of helpful numbers and links, and other useful resources.
These are USA-focused, but don't hesitate to reach out if you would want any other countries added, and we will do that.
TS Mental Health

2nd of May
Personal Experience Story: juliets

Today, we're kick starting things for Mental Health Awareness Month by sharing a story piece received by a highly esteemed member of our Admin team and most adored friend, @juliets. We thank her for being so brave to share her story for the first time. She was moved by the initiative and felt like she had an experience to share which may help someone else.

PLEASE NOTE: We have shared juliets' story in spoilers below since we appreciate how experiences may trigger other users, and would like to point out the story does contain elements of ADD/anxiety/depression, please open only if you're comfortable reading such material.

Spoiler: show

This thread is locked to prevent it getting cluttered. But please feel free to leave a comment or note on the above story by visiting our Discussion Thread.
If you choose to comment on this, we expect a respectful tone.
You can also leave a comment at the Discussion Thread on Mafia Universe!

OTHER UPDATES:

We received a lot of great feedback in our discussion threads and privately via PMs and DMs. We appreciate all the feedback we’ve received, and try to take them to heart and adapt, to make this experience a meaningful one for as many as possible.

First and foremost, this is meant to be an information campaign, but also an opportunity to connect people with new friends. As such, other than the Buddy System, we will have a Movie Night on the MU Discord server, somewhere between the 14th and 19th of May. A poll will be posted on MU later to see what date fits bets, which we will link to here. If you have any suggestions for movies to watch, feel free to submit them, and we will vote between these!

Finally, there were concerns regarding privacy - and we take this very seriously. Therefore, we will limit the group of people involved in this: dobby/Roro__b is primarily responsible for this project. He has previous experience with similar projects and treating mental health issues on a daily basis in a professional setting. Arapocalypse will be responsible for the anonymous form, and nutella will also have access, as part of both the MU and TS moderator teams. dunya and juliets will be responsible for the TS end of this project and dyachei will be involved if needed, but not initially.

If you are interested in taking part in the buddy system, want to submit a "story" or have any other questions, you can do this by PM'ing @TS Mental Health by clicking here or you can do so anonymously through the following form: https://forms.gle/WFkBAN9FDqLVznWL7

nutella and MU staff members Arapocalypse and dobby/Roro__b are the only ones with access to that.

To optimize the buddy matching, a little info on yourself, or what you might be looking for would be helpful. Either way, we will do our best to produce as good a matching as possible. All of this will be anonymous unless you agree otherwise.
nutella
Connoisseur of Spice
Posts in topic: 7
Preferred Pronouns: she/her/hers

Post by nutella »

3rd of May
To start this day off, we would like to mention that there has been a lot of feedback both privately and in the discussion thread, most notably leading to the removal of the buddy system. There were several issues with this, all voiced in that thread. The first posts in this thread are now edited to reflect this.

The main focus going on will be:

- Information sharing
- Planned events (movie night, games, etc)
- Sharing stories/arts etc, that people choose to submit through us.
- We will also work towards adding more countries to the list of contact options

We are happy to take suggestions for movies that we could watch together, in the discussion thread or privately - could be any genre whatsoever, but preferably something that as many as possible can enjoy!

If you have any fun events or other things you might want our help organizing, just reach out and we can try and fit that in!

Today there are two things we wanted to share. First of all, the following picture from nami.org - the National Alliance on Mental Illness, about how to use Stigma-free language.

The second part is announcing that there will be a SMALLRUS!!! This will be hosted by dobby and juliets, and reveal will be at the end of the month. For anyone unfamiliar with the concept, A walrus is a forum game where you submit songs to us according to various themes and the hosts rank and score them based on how much we enjoy them. This walrus will have 3 categories, making it a smallrus! Most genres of music are appreciated, and we will generally be nicer in scoring that the standard walri. You can submit to me by DM'ing either of dobby and juliets on MU or TS or on discord (Dobby#6775 or juliets#5354).
Category 1: Give us whimsical! A playful, imaginative mood. Something transporting us from earth - takes our feet off the ground - pretend the world doesn't exist - translate that however you like!

Category 2: Give us dreamy! Sometimes when tired, you might have laid in bed, in a state of neither being asleep nor awake. Often a lovely state where you actually live your dreams. It could be that you feel like you are aware of actually flying, in a dream with that theme, or something else wonderful. What song would be the best one to experience, in this state?

Category 3: give us euphoria! That feeling of first falling in love, butterflies. Reading the good part of your favorite book. Finally reaching a goal you had been working on for a while. All of that. Those feelings. Give us a song that encompasses that.
Deadline for submissions will be the 15th of May! Depending on how many submissions we get, reveals might be spread across several occasions, towards the end of the month.

The smallrus will be revealed live on discord, and in its own forum thread - we will announce this later into the month. If you are curious of other walri, the threads are usually in the Tin Pan Alley subforum here on TS and the Other Games subforum on MU.

For the people who have submitted their stories for us to share here, we will be getting back into that tomorrow!

If you are interested in submitting a "story", either named or anonymously or have any other questions, you can do so through the following form: https://forms.gle/WFkBAN9FDqLVznWL7

As of current, arapocalypse, nutella and roro__b have access to the form.
to the spoiler go the victories:
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image ImageImage Image Image Image
Image Image Image Image
Image Image Image Image Image
Image Image
dunya
GOAT Whisperer
Posts in topic: 2

Post by dunya »

4th of May
Personal Experience Story: Wisdom

Today, we are sharing Wisdom's story and collection of beautiful poems. Again, Wisdom's story will be shared in spoilers to avoid triggering anyone since the story may contain elements of mental struggles/abuse. Please only open if you are comfortable reading such material.

! Message from: Wisdom
Hi, I'm Wisdom!

Some of you might know me as someone who always does their best to bring hype to all the games, and some of you have seen me struggle with energy, a few of you have seen one of the couple of breakdowns I've had in games. I think the best way to get to know who I am and where I come from mentally is to read a couple of poem's I've written about my childhood:

Poem collection on Google Docs

But long story short is that I was abused in both school and at home with no safe place to be except when I was playing videogames. I was taught to ignore the problems rather than acknowledging them, which certainly didn't help. I started having suicidal thoughts when I was 7 years old and that was before things became rough for real. However, moving away from home at the age of 16 and becoming independent with a new set of people did wonders for me. It took me until I was in uni (and most of all meeting other people who struggled) to realize what problems I really had with anxiety and it wasn't until I was really deep down in the darkness, after losing a couple of friends to suicide while also graduating uni and being left alone in the "world of the adults" that I decided to get professional help.

And for me that worked. It helped me realize I was both polyamorous and nonbinary, what internal fights I was dealing with and why some relationships were toxic for me. And at the age of 27 I decided to give it my all to get rid of the suicidal thoughts after having them with me for so long. And it worked! Not in the "never thinking about death again" sense, but as in actually wanting to live for my own sake for the first time that I can remember.

Am I fixed now? Of course not! I still feel like an outsider whenever I reflect on life, I still get stuck in my own head sometimes, and I get anxious and tired being around new people or in noisy places. I could certainly be diagnosed with one thing and the other (Pretty sure I have both ADD and some kind of cronial exhaustion). But I've reached a point in the transitioning where I'm comfortable with my body. I have cut the ties with my family to a degree that I can keep them on a distance without thinking too much about them. I work as a teacher and even though I can't work full time without burning out, it's something that works very well for me. I love helping others and being a good hearted and open minded teacher seems to help my students a lot. I have friends who genuinely seem to care for and understand me, how I function and what I need. And even though I used to have panic anxiety attacks regurarly, I haven't had one for three years and counting. So, just as I'm wishing that my playstyle in mafia can bring some hype, maybe this story can give someone struggling a little bit of hope. Feel free to talk to me if anything here is something you would like to reflect on!

This thread is locked to prevent it getting cluttered. But please feel free to leave a comment or note on the above story by visiting our Discussion Thread.

OTHER UPDATES:

@Syn has presented a writing prompt event, currently in a brainstorming phase — with enough interest, it might take off! Both potential writers and readers are wanted, check that out on MU!

Lastly, we have an infograph we would like to share, including tips on how to ask for help at an early stage, which could work for some.
If you are interested in submitting a "story", with your name or anonymously, or have any other questions, you can do so through the following form**: https://forms.gle/WFkBAN9FDqLVznWL7 or by PM'ing any of juliets, dunya or nutella here. You can also DM us on discord.

**nutella and MU staff members Arapocalypse and dobby/Roro__b are the only ones with access to the Google form.

Don't forget to submit your categories to the Smallrus we're hosting, and we're also taking suggestions for Movie Night, later this month. Feel free to drop a comment in the ongoing Discussion Thread.
dunya
GOAT Whisperer
Posts in topic: 2

Post by dunya »

5th of May
Personal Experience Story: vanity.

Today, we are sharing @vanity.'s story and experience. Thank you so much for sharing with us, van! Please only open if you are comfortable reading.

! Message from: vanity.
Hello, my name is vanessa, otherwise known as vanity. i've already essentially shared my experiences with mental health before in the discord, but i still want to go into detail about my general experience regarding it.

for me, this traces all the way back to elementary school. i have a developmental disability known as autism spectrum disorder. i was diagnosed with it at a very young age, and as a result i was always given special remedial privileges as a result. i had a private class to help with speech for example, but i suppose i eventually moved past it. i was actually a decently social kid all the way up to 7th grade. i did have some issues making friends during elementary school, but it wasn't cripplingly bad, to say the very least. i am on the high functioning end of autism, but it's still a struggle for me to this day.

in 6th grade, i was... crude, to say the least. there was a small group of us who would constantly say inappropriate jokes and make fun of others because we thought it was funny. this is probably the point in my life i look back at the least fondly, but what's more important is what happened when i graduated to middle school. it basically felt like i was left behind. all i was good at was being funny and inappropriate, so once more people funneled into this group who had better social skills, i just felt left behind. around this time my parents also talked to me and told me i had autism. honestly i wish i wasn't told this until i was much older. i actually shared this in front of a whole class, which... was a mistake in retrospect. i had no idea what "autism" meant at the time and how that affected me. i was just a naive kid. eventually any special aid i had was removed with the consent of my parents, teachers, and myself. i partially did it because i wanted to feel normal, but in retrospect that should never had happened. i feel like it's partially responsible for the path i've gone along.

as time went on, i became more anti-social, and my crude personality didn't go away. others were maturing, and i was trying to figure out how to adjust with said maturity. i became nihilistic and standoffish, and by high school i became a complete loner. i self-isolated, and my social interactions during class plummeted even further. a couple years of isolation later, and i started feeling major indicators of depression.

around the same time, i was decently active in an online community known as intox gaming, which was a clan that hosted servers of tf2 mods. i was decently active in that community, and was even a member at a time. eventually i stepped away and it became exceedingly obvious that people took reservations with how i was placing my mental instabilities on display and was always being a debbie downer. i eventually left the community for said reason, but it ingrained this mentality in my head that no one actually wants to hear about mental struggles. it made me think they were inherently unpleasant, and instilled this mentality into me where i had to "fake it till i made it". while that certainly works for some people, but i was nowhere near resilient enough with my emotions to convince myself of that.

as i started transitioning out of high school, i was facing severe love-sickness and my motivation to do most activities completely sank. i don't really remember my brief time during college well, but i was more quiet in college than ever before. this is around when i started developing a pretty bad social anxiety that i still struggle with to this day. my social anxiety is even what caused me to almost fail college due to the volunteer work i was required to do that i simply didn't due to social anxiety and other unfortunate circumstances. it felt like my life was falling apart at the seams.

when i started eventually working, i started developing a feeling of worthlessness. i never had a job before, it was only a mediocre retail job, and i was doing poorly. i felt like i had no talent and no calling in life, and to this day, i'm still uncertain about my future in any career. however, i did recognize that it was my fault in the end. i could've been doing better, but instead i felt like i was somewhere that would be the equivalent of purgatory. i labelled myself as a fuck up, my social skills were still terrible, and it didn't feel like i was improving at my job.

this story does have somewhat of a happy ending though, i suppose. after deliberation about my own identity and my own place in the word, i started identifying as non-binary, and later as a transgender woman. this was the first time i actually felt like i was someone i wanted to be. for the longest time, i didn't think much of gender, but i actually did feel dysphoria tracing all the way back to high school unwittingly. i don't want to go in complete detail about my trans awakening for personal reasons, but it was also around this time i started acting way more self-deprecating. i have struggled with self-loathing for a very long time, and only around then did it feel like i was actually putting it on display again just like i was when i was at intox gaming. and i know, it absolutely is unpleasant, but i couldn't help myself. it felt compulsive, as if i couldn't help it.

i feel like my mental state is better than it has been in a while though! i still struggle with general motivation, loneliness, worthlessness, social anxiety, and self-loathing, which includes signs of depression, but it's not crippling. i love being transgender, and all the love i get from people around the mu community makes it worth it. it's not all well and good though. i still feel pressure to stay closeted. it frustrates me, but the world isn't exactly welcoming to transgender individuals. however, no matter what your identity is, it's valuable and beautiful. so is mine, and hopefully one day i can build up enough courage to completely come out of the closet! i've been doing training for vocal feminization, so maybe it's coming sooner rather than later.

as a note to end on, your mental health is something you need to value. even now i don't completely value my mental health. i've never seen a counselor or psychiatrist, and i absolutely should. a part of the reason i haven't is because of my budget. there are people that love and value you though, and that's the reason i'm still around. if i didn't feel valued, i would have committed suicide a long time ago. self-worth is important, but it's not the end all be all. you're a massive void that would be missing from your friends and family if you were gone. take this with a grain of salt, because i'm not a psychologist or a psychiatrist, but... it does feel like there's verity to my words.

that's all i have to say regarding my own struggles with mental health. thanks for reading.

OTHER UPDATES:

• There has been some interest for an opt-in Discord channel, where you can discuss anything, including mental health on the MU discord server. If you are interested in joining the channel, contact @dyachei either here, or on Discord (dyachei#0333) for access.
  • @Syn has presented a writing prompt event, currently in a brainstorming phase — with enough interest, it might take off! Both potential writers and readers are wanted, check that out on MU!
  • Don't forget to submit your categories to the Smallrus we're hosting. Feel free to drop a comment in the ongoing Discussion Thread or PM me, @juliets or @nutellla

a reminder of the categories for Smallrus:
    Category 1: Give us whimsical! A playful, imaginative mood. Something transporting us from earth - takes our feet off the ground - pretend the world doesn't exist - translate that however you like!

Category 2: Give us dreamy! Sometimes when tired, you might have laid in bed, in a state of neither being asleep nor awake. Often a lovely state where you actually live your dreams. It could be that you feel like you are aware of actually flying, in a dream with that theme, or something else wonderful. What song would be the best one to experience, in this state?

Category 3: give us euphoria! That feeling of first falling in love, butterflies. Reading the good part of your favorite book. Finally reaching a goal you had been working on for a while. All of that. Those feelings. Give us a song that encompasses that.[/BOX]

Deadline for submissions will be the 15th of May! Depending on how many submissions we get, reveals might be spread across several occasions, towards the end of the month.

The smallrus will be revealed live on discord in the MU music channel, and in it's own forum thread - we will announce this later into the month.
  • Movie Night! Between 14th and 19th of May! We are still taking suggestions for which movie to watch.
  • There will also be a full day next week where we'll blast 90's bangers in the discord all day, for anyone to join in and hang out - exact day TBD!
  • If you have interest in arranging something - feel free to do this!
If you are interested in submitting a "story", with your name or anonymously, or have any other questions, you can do so through the following form**: https://forms.gle/WFkBAN9FDqLVznWL7 or by PM'ing any of juliets, dunya or nutella here. You can also DM us on discord.

**nutella and MU staff members Arapocalypse and dobby/Roro__b are the only ones with access to the Google form.
nutella
Connoisseur of Spice

Post by nutella »

7th of May
After a short days hiatus, we've got a bit more to share today.

First of all, there's a link that we'd like to share. Once again, it's from nami.org - the National Alliance on Mental Illness, but this time, it's about reaching out and talking to others. It contains some practical tips on situations/when/who/what/how to talk about mental health issues, and might be useful reading for some.

Second thing is the Movie Night!

This will take place on the Mafia Universe Discord server. If there's enough demand there can be a separate one on the Syndicate server as well!

We got some suggestions for movies to watch, and here are the contenders!!

Shrek

Eurovision - The Story of Fire Saga

Love and Monsters

#Alive

Thunder Force

Pretty hype tbh - We could probably organize more than one Movie Night if there's interest, but for now, the first one will be somewhere between the 14th and the 19th of May.

Fill in this lovely strawpoll to vote for movies - more than one option is possible!!!

And you can also fill in THIS second lovely strawpoll to vote for a date. You can count on it being either 6 or 7PM EST.

Other than the user-started Mental Health Check-In's and the Discussion thread, there has been some interest for an opt-in Discord channel, where you can discuss anything, including mental health, which is now up and running on the Mafia Universe server. If you are interested in joining the channel, contact @dyachei either here, or on Discord (dyachei#0333) for access. All are welcome!

Other Events

- Syn, a community member, has presented a writing prompt event, currently in a brainstorming phase — with enough interest, it might take off! Both potential writers and readers are wanted, check that out here!

- SMALLRUS!!! This will be hosted by dobby and dunya, and reveal will be at the end of the month. For anyone unfamiliar with the concept, A walrus is a forum game where you submit songs to us according to various themes and we rank and score them based on how much we enjoy them. This walrus will have 3 categories, making it a smallrus! Most genres of music are appreciated, and we will generally be nicer in scoring that the standard walri. You can submit to me by DM'ing dobby or dunya on discord (Dobby#6775 or dunia#3479). Categories below:

Category 3: give us euphoria! That feeling of first falling in love, butterflies. Reading the good part of your favorite book. Finally reaching a goal you had been working on for a while. All of that. Those feelings. Give us a song that encompasses that.

The smallrus will be revealed live on discord, and in it's own forum thread - we will announce this later into the month. If you are curious of other walri, the threads are usually in the Other Games subforum!
- There will also be a full day next week where we'll blast 90's bangers in the MU discord all day, for anyone to join in and hang out - exact day TBD!

- If you have interest in arranging something - feel free to do this!
If you are interested in submitting a "story", either named or anonymously, or have any other questions, you can do so through the following form: https://forms.gle/WFkBAN9FDqLVznWL7 or by PM'ing any of us.

As of current, arapocalypse, nutella, and roro__b have access to the form.
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image ImageImage Image Image Image
Image Image Image Image
Image Image
nutella
Connoisseur of Spice

Post by nutella »

8th of May
Today we have an anonymous submission that we'd like to share. It's on a heavy topic, so it will be in a spoiler.
Moments where I am okay with myself and what I’ve done are rare. They don’t happen anymore. Haven’t in almost ten years.

I feel shame. I’m not proud of who I was. Who I am.

I can describe most of the formative years of my life this way: I knew better but chose to be less. Being less did not endear me to other people and it did not endear me to myself. Every year has been some effort towards not wanting to be worth it and not wanting to be liked. It informs every action I take.

Coming up with explanations on why I’m like this can be futile. I spend most of my time owning up to failures now. Whether a misfortune is due to personal failure or not. It feels like a cop-out to blame something, someone else. I internalize everything that goes wrong; it’s easier to simply blame myself. Beginning to blame something else is a slippery slope. It would be so very tempting to always have something besides me to attribute these situations to.
If I decide to follow these threads to their ends, the answer I come to most is that I simply don’t want to be me. I never have. I’ve been incredibly self-aware since my youth, and I can’t say that I’ve ever felt a desire to be me.

I don’t want to be who I am. I don’t want my past, my burden, my virtues, anything. Every week I wish desperately for the impossible to happen and that my life is wiped from existence. I possess no interest towards making the best of the hand I have been dealt. I possess no interest towards dealing with the present and working towards the future. I do not believe, on a fundamental level, that I can salvage anything about my identity to the point of being satisfied with who and what I am.

I don’t like who I was. I don’t like who I am. I don’t like who I’m going to be.

If I could, I would erase myself. The world is less with me in it. I regret that there are people who like me, yet I’m far too selfish to save them from the mistake.

It is agony to wake up each day and know that I will be myself forever.

I just don’t want to be me.

If you wish to avoid the subject of suicide, don't click the link below!

We also have another infographic today, from nami.org - the National Alliance on Mental Illness. This time, it is some statistics related to suicide, and about seeking help if such thoughts are present.

Regarding the walrus - juliets will replace dunya - submissions still allowed until the 15th!
Here's a link to the last smallrus that juliets and dobby hosted, thoroughly enjoyed that one!

Other events:
- Regarding Movie Night:

Fill in this lovely strawpoll to vote for movies - more than one option is possible!!!

And you can also fill in THIS second lovely strawpoll to vote for a date.

You can count on it being either 6 or 7PM EST.

- Let us know if you would appreciate a parallel movie night (can be a totally different movie from these choices as well) on the Syndicate server!!

- Syn, a community member, has presented a writing prompt event, that looks like it will take off! Both potential writers and readers are wanted, check that out here!

- Smallrus!
The second part is announcing that there will be a SMALLRUS!!! This will be hosted by dobby and juliets, and reveal will be at the end of the month. For anyone unfamiliar with the concept, A walrus is a forum game where you submit songs to us according to various themes and we rank and score them based on how much we enjoy them. This walrus will have 3 categories, making it a smallrus! Most genres of music are appreciated, and we will generally be nicer in scoring that the standard walri. You can submit to me by either of dobby and juliets on discord (Dobby#6775 or juliets#5354).

- There will also be a full day next week where we'll blast 90's bangers in the MU discord all day, for anyone to join in and hang out - exact day TBD! Again, we can do a similar event on the Syndicate server as well if there is interest!

- Other than the user-started Mental Health Check-In's and the Discussion thread, there has been some interest for an opt-in Discord channel on the MU server, where you can discuss anything, including mental health, which is now up and running. If you are interested in joining the channel, contact dyachei on Discord (dyachei#0333) for access. All are welcome!

- If you have interest in arranging something - feel free to do this!
If you are interested in submitting a "story", either named or anonymously, or have any other questions, you can do so through the following form: https://forms.gle/WFkBAN9FDqLVznWL7 or by PM'ing any of us.

As of current, arapocalypse, nutella, and roro__b (dobby) have access to the form.
Image Image Image Image
Image Image
nutella
Connoisseur of Spice

Post by nutella »

13th of May
After another short hiatus, we are back at it!

The poll for the Movie Night has given fairly unanimous results - we will be watching Eurovision Song Contest: The Story of Fire Saga the 17th of May, most likely at 6PM EDT, on the Mafia Universe discord server.

We will also be running a music bots in chat for a good while during this weekend, playing 90's bangers because why not!! Feel free to add to the playlist, but please make sure it's fitting tbh!!

Link to the playlist is here!!!!!

Today, we would also like to share some words related to mental health in college, that might be useful for some of you!

The deadline for smallrus submissions has been extended to may 19th, for more information, check this thread out!!

Other events:
- Syn, a community member, has presented a writing prompt event, both potential writers and readers are wanted, Here is more information on the event, prompts are now out, deadline for submission will be the 16th of May!!

- Other than the user-started Mental Health Check-In's and the Discussion thread, there has been some interest for an opt-in Discord channel, where you can discuss anything, including mental health, which is now up and running on the MU server. If you are interested in joining the channel, contact dyachei on Discord (dyachei#0333) for access. All are welcome!

- If you have interest in arranging something - feel free to do this! If you need our help, let us know!

Image Image Image Image
Image Image
nutella
Connoisseur of Spice

Post by nutella »

19th of May
Since the last post, the movie night has taken place, and it was pretty hype tbh. We might do another one since there seemed to be a lot of interest for that, but that will probably be scheduled outside of this event. Make sure to join the #MUvie nights channel on the discord server for notifications.

If there's interst for another 90's bangers day, we will probably be running one, where you can just add whatever songs you want to the queue!

Today we are sharing this infographic, called "Mental Health Care Matters" with some related interesting statistics.

The deadline for smallrus submissions is today 5/19, but if you plan to submit, let us know and we can make another extension. for more information, check this thread out!!

- lendunistus is hosting MU Hunger Games season 4 - all that is required is an /in, and your name will be entered into a Hunger Games simulator, it's fun, join!

Other events!
- Four submissions were sent in for the Writing prompt event presented by Syn. We are awaiting a date for when these will be presented! They will be read aloud in voice chat.

- Other than the user-started Mental Health Check-In's and the Discussion thread, there is an opt-in Discord channel, where you can discuss anything, including mental health, which is now up and running. If you are interested in joining the channel, contact dyachei#0333, or on Discord for access. All are welcome!

- If you have interest in arranging something - feel free to do this! If you need our help, let us know!

Image Image Image Image
Image Image
nutella
Connoisseur of Spice

Post by nutella »

22nd of May
Today there is yet another link that we'd like to share. It's called "How To Help a Friend", and has some useful tips for how to approach the topic, if one would want to. We would yet again like to point out that you should never feel forced to do anything, unless that is what you want to and feel like doing.

The first category in the smallrus will be revealed Tuesday 25th of May at 6PM EDT in the MU Music discord channel, as well as the forum thread.

- Four submissions were sent in for the Writing prompt event. These will be read out loud in the general voice chat channel in MU Discord, Wednesday, May 26 at 1:00 PM PST, everyone is welcome to tune in!

Other events:
- lendunistus is hosting MU Hunger Games season 4 - all that is required is an /in, and your name will be entered into a Hunger Games simulator, it's fun, join!

- Other than the user-started Mental Health Check-In's and the Discussion thread, there is an opt-in Discord channel, where you can discuss anything, including mental health, which is now up and running. If you are interested in joining the channel, contact dyachei#0333 for access. All are welcome!

Image Image Image Image
Image Image
nutella
Connoisseur of Spice

Post by nutella »

As May comes to a close, thanks to all who participated in and helped facilitate activities in support of mental health awareness and/or just to have a good time in the community! Our hope is to continue to be a supportive and comfortable space for all. Stay hyped and Happy Pride Month! <3
Image Image Image Image
Image Image

Return to “Announcements”